Private Tales Legends are not born, they are Made

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Maeve's tribe had been one that favoured meritocracy. People earned their place through hard work. Whether that was studying books, learning and honing a craft, or being good with a till. It did not matter what the job, if someone was good at it, then they were rewarded as such. So she could understand the desire to earn and pay your own way. To not be a charity case, as Fraeya put it.

"Very well," Maeve nodded and then reached inside her satchel and began to count out ten silvers and five golds. She pushed them over the table. "This is your first payment for being my tutor in the ways of the fae. I'll pay the same every two weeks for as long as you stay and teach me or until you think I've learned all there is. How does that sound?"

• Aww
Reactions: Fraeya
A long silent stare at the coins until her green eyes drifted to Maeve's face. "Okay," she said quietly. "Deal. But I'm paying for dessert." She pocketed the rest of the coins quickly. Friendship couldn't be bought and she could see the fellow fae-made turning into something much deeper than she'd ever known.

Casual gaze turned back to the menu.

"I think I'll get the chocolate-crackle-dragon-egg shake," closing the menu she looked out into the square and further down one of the many streets that lead behind Maeve to more shops and places. A swinging sign of music notes above the store caught her attention.

Gaze quickly flitted away. Perhaps she'd check it out on her own. Maybe tomorrow.

• Smug
Reactions: Maeve
As the days went on past Fraeya's first outing into Endora proper, many other fae came to poke their heads into her rooms. Some were other fae she might have come across in her work with the lists; fae who had passed on information and others who had helped track down those the Hunt searched for. When she was out people were quick to strike up conversation and help when she grew lost in the growing city. Overall, as Maeve and Lorcan had promised, Endora seemed a small bubble away from the dark touches of fae politics.

Other faces Fraeya no doubt recognised who came and went were Sid and Raphael though rarely at the same time; it would have been suspicious for both the General of the Army and the Master of Spies to vanish at the same time from the Erlkings Lands.

Enjoying one of his allotted days in the peace of Endora, Raphael found himself in the training arena in the gardens of Lorcan and Maeve's home training some of the guards positioned there. His skin was slick with sweat as was his opponents as they faced off against one another with nothing but their firsts. The other face - a blue skinned renchi - suddenly lunged forward low, aiming for Raphael's ribs. The puca received the blow with a grunt but turned the position to his advantage, finding purchase on the other fae's waist and hurling him over his shoulder. The fae landed with a sharp, winded yell.

"Stop being so eager, I can see your moves in your eyes," Raphael panted but rubbed at his side. "Though I have to say Sid has really improved your punches."

• Cthuloo
When Fraeya had first met Sidereal on Endora, she couldn't believe how warm he'd been. Always seemed to have a lopsided grin on his face. How easily he joked between Raphael and Lorcan or the rare occasion all three were together. Even with Maeve. The three of them with their strange and easy bond. And how many mashed potatoes the male could put away.

Fraeya was usually quiet during those few dinners she'd shared with all of them, Maeve, and a few others in the household. It was still surreal to see this side of them and one she didn't trust in easily. And she was still finding her own footing.

It just so happened that today, Fraeya had finally worked enough nerve up to visit the music shop she'd been eyeing that first day Maeve had successfully gotten her out of bed. Over the last few days she'd fallen into a routine. She spent the mornings with Maeve, teaching her the things she knew of the fae courts. She and Maeve often shared breakfast together or an easy-sort-of-companionship doing whatever around the house or grounds. Sometimes it was reading in the library, tending to the gardens, or general chatter about how they'd each grown up.

On the very rare occasion, Fraeya agreed to go another shopping run with the redhead but it was clear she did it for friendship and not any joy on her part.

She was crossing the gardens on her way out, pausing at the sound of shouts and voices. Instinctively, her hand fell to the bone dagger always sheathed at her hip. And something deep inside her stirred to get out - pressing beneath her skin. Rounding the corner, she took in the scene, forcing herself to take a steadying breath.

The renchi grunted and rolled to his feet. He caught Fraeya's green-eyed stare and smirked. "Maybe if you join in we can take him down together, yeah?" It was a playful call.

Something she couldn't define wanted her to step forward. Wanted her to free itself. But her jaw clenched and her grip tightened on the hilt of the dagger. She quickly shook her head at the renchi.

• Smug
Reactions: Raphael
Raphael had heard the almost silent approach of the other fae but had said nothing as he finished his lesson. Being distracted would only have given his student the upper hand and he was not quite ready yet to admit the young renchi was progressing far beyond the skill Raphael could teach. He'd have a quiet word with Lorcan and suggest the Prince begin to pay attention to this particular guard. He couldn't help but give a slight smile at the Renchi's friendly heckling and walked over to the weapon stand to pick up one of the wooden practise swords.

"Leave her be, Jaemeer. The Princess was quite clear we shouldn't disturb the Lady Fraeya," more than clear in fact.

• Nervous
She staggered as he said that term. Lady. Her entire life she'd been. Changeling. Human. Delun's Assistant. Thing.

Even now, if one asked any of the den she'd fled from, if asked about her, they would've had ire and murder in their gaze. Misunderstandings and judgements.

But here Raphael was, the Master of Spies for King Midir's court. The one she'd seen in passing step from a room, leaving those on the list with no sanity left in their minds. Drop the L word so casually. And his presence made her nervous. Was he reporting everything he saw to Midir? She doubted Midir wouldn't know where she was - considering he'd known about Cassian and Lexi. After all, she was the second fae made in his court - fae-made by his hand. She doubted he'd take kindly to losing her.

Eyes darted to Jaemeer and Raphael before ignoring them completely as she walked by and toward the courtyard gate, opening it, slipping onto the other side, and closing it with a firm clink.

"Well done," Jaemeer rolled his eyes as both fae men watched Fraeya go without a word. Raphael's brows shot into his hairline.

"What did I do?" his wings spread in irritation and he snapped them closed again, even more irate he had let the comment get that much of a reaction out of him. "I was pleasant," which was more than most people got. He could have ignored her entirely as was his preference for most people who spelt trouble. Fraeya certainly spelt trouble.

"About as pleasant as sand in your bed," Jaemeer countered and moved to pick up his own sword. Raphael this time didn't let the comment get even a twitch of the eye out of him. The other fae only grinned and without a word they clashed in a flurry of wooden swords.

• Haha
It wouldn't be until well after the sun had set that she returned to the place she was beginning to call home. She had a bag slung over one shoulder. A note had already been sent via courier to Maeve with her apologies of missing dinner and that she'd be back late.

A small breath as she quietly closed the garden gate behind her. Sometimes Kipp the gardener liked to sleep out here by the rose bushes on the soft lawn. He was a satyr who enjoyed the outdoors more than his cozy cabin further in the grounds. Head tilted for a moment as she listened for any of the telltale signs of his snoring.

Hearing none, she headed toward the benches near the wishing fountain. She wasn't quite ready for sleep yet.

• Sip
"Enjoy your wander?"

Raphael materialised as if from the shadows themselves and indeed they did lick at his feet for a moment before vanishing in the face of the small lights Maeve had informed him were called - ironically - fairy lights where she had come from. He made sure it was clear there were no weapons upon his person as he did step forth into the light and even held his hands up in front of him in anticipation of her throwing that knife he'd seen earlier at him.

"Apologies if I frightened you, I just... wanted to apologise. For earlier. I'm still... learning humour."

• Cthulu Knife
She reacted quickly, still not quite used to reaction times of what being fae allowed for. Bone dagger in her hand, with a clearly untrained grip, pointed at Raphael before he was able to finish his second syllable. And for a moment it almost seemed as if her very body grew transparent. But just as quickly it looked as if nothing had changed or happened at all.

"Did you think for a moment that it might not be the best idea to surprise a female walking alone in the middle of the night?"

Dagger lowered but was not immediately sheathed.

• Cthuloo
Raphael stared at her blankly.

"Here? In Endora? No," anywhere else he would have been more thoughtful - he likely wouldn't have approached them at all given his status in court. Endora was different though. Here the shadows were not dangerous. "But... perhaps I should have thought about who I was approaching," he said warily and eyed the blade. "Pretty," slowly he reached out and pushed the point down so it was not pointing at his heart.

"It might be more threatening if it looked like you would be confident using it," he arched a brow.

• Cthulhoo rage
She blinked, an incredulous look brushed clearly across her face. He had the luxury to truly feel safe in a place. A foreign concept for her. And one she wished she could share being in Endora. It wasn't that she didn't trust Maeve and Lorcan when they said it was safe.

She just couldn't understand it.

Perhaps in time...

But... perhaps I should have thought about who I was approaching,

She bristled.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Still gripping her dagger but keeping it at her side, fingers curling around the handle even more tightly. Chin tilted upward. A spark of something in eyes the color of meadows in the spring.

"Do I not look like I mean to use it?"

What was she doing? She should keep her mouth shut. Say goodnight and move onto her room. This was Raphael - one of the most dangerous males in the Autumn Court.

• Smug
Raphael's lips curled in amusement.

"Oh, no it looks very much like you mean to use it," he agreed in solemn tones that contradicted the smile flirting with his lips. "It just does not look like you know how to use it," he motioned if it was okay for him to demonstrate and if she agreed he would just very slightly correct her hold on the knife and turn it so it nestled properly in her palm.

"There, feel the difference? You'll have more control this way," he glanced up at her. "I could teach you properly you know."

• Cthuloo
She held her breath as she allowed him to correct her. With Maeve, it was easier for the touches. A gentle tap on the hand. Hugs. Perhaps because they were becoming quick and close friends. And because of how they became fae.

And even though Raphael had seen her at her worst. Carried her across to the island. Fraeya was still very much guarded around him, like all fae save for a handful.

But should she be so guarded around a man who meticulously cut his vegetables before consuming them?

She swallowed the lash prepared on her tongue. She could feel the difference. She felt the difference with her fingers. She sheathed and looked back up, noticing that the inky blackness of night seemed to cling more tightly around this puca.

"I'll think about it," she finally said. She certainly was no Jaemeer. A small breath and a glance around the dark courtyard. Stone benches circled the fountain they stood in front of. The entrance to her room was further down the pathway.

She wasn't ready for that, not even after this little encounter.

"Would you mind, would you - is that everything? I'd like some space just to sit out here on my own."

• Popcorn
"Of course," Raphael stepped back and then bowed his head politely. "If you change your mind, I train recruits out here most days just before noon," it was phrased more of a statement of fact but the invite was clear, should she decide differently. Raphael was not a man of many words and so with that he flared open his wings and took off into the night sky. It wasn't long before it was hard to pick him apart from the other clouds of shadow.

• Bless
The night felt colder after he left but she quickly shook that feeling off. Tearing her eyes away from the sky, she took a seat on one of the stone benches. Carefully opening her bag, she took out the prize that she'd bought today. It was a small stringed instrument.

Fingers deftly tuned the lines.

Tilting her head, she began playing a haunting tune long into the night before she packed everything up and finally retired.

The next morning, after she completed her session with Maeve - which mostly just involved gossip from Maeve about whether or not Sid had found someone. He'd seemed different at breakfast before he'd left. Fraeya mostly listened, lending some of her observations or affirmations to her friend. Excusing herself, she glanced at the clock.

It was just after noon.

Standing, she wandered back to the courtyard wondering if Raphael had already left. Hoping any recruits had.

• Popcorn
Raphael winced as the slender wood nymph gently dabbed at his swollen cheek.

"You need to be more careful," she admonished and he tried not to smile least he be hit for moving his face. Nameesha had been one of the nymphs charged with the unfortunate job of looking after himself, Sid and Lorcan as young boys. She'd tended to more than a few bruises on them all. He'd been beyond delighted to find she had made her way here, even if it did mean this amount of fuss.

"It was a well deserved hit, I can't begrudge him that. He's getting better, far better than me. He needs to go to Sid or Lorcan."

"You do yourself a dishonour," she frowned down at him.

"I just know my strengths, Eesha. Mine is an art of fighting from the shadows, Sid is the warrior."

• Cthuloo
Fraeya paused as she saw Raphael with the wood nymph. It was always so strange to see a fae hurt. Anything but invincible. Especially, one like the Spy Master. It was almost as if she'd walked in on him nude. Perhaps that's how she'd feel if she hadn't been raised by fae who seemed to not have qualms about their nakedness.

Some more than others.

Her mind momentarily went to her visit with Nairth those many seasons ago.

She thought about slinking away. About turning around and -

The wood nymph looked up, catching Fraeya's eyes with her own. Fraeya's lips parted quickly as she made herself step closer. As if she'd always intended to approach.

"Is this a bad time for a lesson?"

Fraeya hoped he'd say yes.

• Sip
Raphael glanced up with a flicker of surprise; it was a testament to just how safe he felt in Endora that he hadn't heard Fraeya approaching. He gave himself a silent reprimand for it. This was where he needed to be the most alert in order to protect the few he loved.

"Not at all," Nameesha replied before the puca could open his mouth. With one more dab she stepped back and gave a firm nod. Raphael gave a sigh and stood, wings stretching unconsciously with the movement.

"Lesson one, never get too cocky," he pointed to the bruise and then offered a small smile. "I would be delighted to give you a lesson, Lady Fraeya."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Fraeya still looked at him strangely as if she'd never met him before. A hesitant glance to Nameesha before she stepped closer. Fraeya's own caution easily written on her movements, like a deer caught in a summer field about to bolt. Hovering over the edge of regret.

Green eyes flickered to his wings before settling back on the puca's face. It was clear she wasn't a fighter. She was a survivor. She'd had to think with her head to survive the fae and the Autumn Court as long as she had. Or she'd gotten very good at running and hiding. She never would've made it in 1x1 combat with even the weakest of fae.

And she wasn't convinced, even changed, things would be different.

Fingers curled into fists at her sides.

"What do I do? Just try to hit you?" She felt her cheeks warm, feeling very much the fool and out of her depth.

• Smug
Seeing the rising heat in her cheeks, Raphael made a greater effort to stop himself from smirking at her comment.

"That's not my style," he admitted and then wandered over to the row of equipment that was kept on the side of the small training arena. There was a weapons rack stacked neatly with an array of different dummy swords, axes and spears, a pile of shields, and a straw dummy on a wooden stand with wheels. It was to that final object he turned now, wheeling it out into the centre before Fraeya.

"You won't learn by me putting you on your arse from the get go. First, let me teach to the right stance," he motioned for her to mimic his movements as he planted his feet shoulder width apart and brought his arms up into fists. "Make sure not to tuck your thumb under your fingers like this, that's right."

• Cthulu Knife
You wont learn by me putting you on your arse from the get go.

Lips parted to protest and her eyes narrowed. But just as quickly her skin only heated more as she shut her mouth when she realized he was right. She wasn't like him. Even in her new fae form, he was far more muscular than she'd even be. While the General was built with broader and brute strength. To Fraeya, there was a more dangerous strength behind Raphael's form. A well-honed knife versus a hammer.

Eyes shifted from his face down his form. But there was nothing lecherous to it. Just studious as she shifted her foot there. A small bend in her knees. Fingers mimicking his own.

Self-consciousness very evident on her expression, her attention shifted to the straw dummy.

"Okay, so you just want me to hit that?"

If he said yes, she'd punch her fist forward. The strength behind her punch wasn't very impressive but the speed in which she withdrew was. A startled blur of movement.

• Cthuloo
"Yes."

Raphael's brows rose however as she threw her punch. Even he had to concentrate to see the movement properly and that was a rarity to the spymaster. He hadn't asked exactly what fae she was though he had heard the rumours of how she had been placed with the other Hounds. But now...

"Impressive," and he sounded genuine about it. "The speed... is not something I see very often. That's good, it means you have an advantage and good one," he nodded, his mind already going through what would be best to teach her next to utilise it. For now though...

"You want to pull your arm back more before throwing the punch, bring your elbow up like this then jab forward. The speed adds power."

• Thoughtful
She looked down at her fist, dust from the straw dummy decorating her knuckles from where she'd just hit. A frown tugging on her face. Green-eyes flickered between her limb and Raphael.

"I didn't know I could do that," she admitted.

Mimicking his instructions once again, she jabbed forward. This time both fists.

Boom-boom.

But her speed faltered. And while she hit the dummy better than her poor, human self would've, it still didn't seem very strong. Her nostril flared, annoyance flickering across her brow.

"What good is any of this if I can't control it?" A quiet huff. Scowl tugging on her face.

• Sip
Raphael gave a tiny smile.

"You're young," he said it as softly as he could knowing it might make her bristle. "Fae do not learn by your age, we have hundreds if not thousands of years to learn. You need to stop thinking that you are human," it would hold her back in more than just this, just as it held Maeve back. The human instinct that they couldn't was as big a barrier as anything else.

"I couldn't fly until I was 50, if it makes you feel at all better," he offered quietly. He didn't add it was because he had spent most of those years in a cage without the sky above him. Nor that the time in captivity had meant his wings had not strengthened as they should and so it had taken him that much longer.

• Cry