Private Tales Legends are not born, they are Made

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Fraeya cupped soapy water from the bath and brought it up to her face, scrubbing quietly. "I know," she admitted quietly. She of all people knew. She didn't even know she had blood family until recently. Delun had been the closest thing to a father she'd ever had but even that hadn't started until she was halfway through life. And Vaer Nhimei like a brother.

But even these two relationships had never felt safe. Unconditional. Which, she hoped she'd have one day.

"Clearly Lorcan wasn't who I thought he was. And if you mean the Autumn Court's General, Sid." Brows nearly disappeared into her soapy hairline. "Him and Raphael...," voice trailed off. "I never would've believed it before..." voice trailed off.

Before she'd met Raphael at her worst. Before he'd approached her with more gentleness than she'd thought possible for any fae.

"Maeve," head twisted to try and look at the redhead as she uttered two words that were usually never uttered between fae. "Thank you."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Maeve
General, huh?

Lorcan and his brothers liked to try and hide who they were off this island from her. They knew she was still wary of fae, that that deep seated fear only made worse by her time in the Summer Courts was a hurdle she would only be able to get over with time. So they had kept their duties in the Autumn Court failed and impressed that what they had done here in Endora as far more important. Perhaps it was a sign of how far she had come already that the idea she had let a General braid her hair did not fill her with icy fear like it once would have. Sid would never be the General in her mind, he'd always be the fae who snuck her an extra slice of cake from the kitchen.

"Of course," Maeve's eyebrows rose; as far as she was concerned Fraeya owed her no such thing. "Us fae-made have to look out for each other. We're rare I hear," she winked. "I guess that kind of makes us... the same race. I think I prefer thinking of it that way to us being whatever... physically we've become in their eyes."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Fraeya
“I guess that makes me not alone then.” For the first time, Fraeya truly felt like it. As as she looked forward again, with Maeve getting out the last tangles of her hair, she wondered if this was what it felt like to have a sister.

“Okay enough fiddling,” she said gently but firmly. “It’s not like you’re getting me ready for a marriage ceremony.” And with that, she slid all the way beneath the waters to give her hair a good scrubbing. As she resurfaced, she wiped her eyes clear of water and soap.

“We’re just going to ONE store, right?” Fraeya did not like shopping. Although, she’d never really done it for herself. It had always been for Delun and lugging around his books and scrolls and other supplies.

And since she’d refused food the last few days, her stomach chose that moment to give off a gurgling protest.

• Smug
"... sure," Maeve grinned. There was never such a thing as one shop when you went into Azora. It was a vibrant growing metropolis with the most amazing foods, goods and arts Maeve had ever seen and each day it seemed to change with the newest influx of refugees from across the fae lands. They might have arrived with nothing or only a few possessions here, but anyone who had a skill soon found a place to really excel in it.

"I'll let you get dressed and we can go," she stood and brushed the soap off on her trousers before stepping out of the room.

• Scared
Giving her body one last scrub, she willed herself to step out of the warm water. She didn't know how, perhaps by magic but the water had never lost its heat. Grabbing a towel, she dried off, feet padding over to the wardrobe. She hadn’t brought any clothes with her, so she was curious as to what she’d find. And if they would fit.

Opening it wide, she saw a pair of olive-green leather leggings with a long tunic and belt. And it was the belt she usually wore, polished with her bone dagger still in its holster. A pair of new looking boots was at the bottom. Head shook as she tugged them all on, everything fit perfectly. At least this time, she wasn't disturbed by the sizing, like she had when the Erlking had given her clothes for the mission.

And instead of putting her hair back in a usual braid, she let it hang freely.

Finally ready, she stepped out. Ravenna was already putting fresh sheets on her bed. A silent plea to the female as if to ask if there was any way she could wiggle out of shopping day? She shook her head with a smile. Sighing, Fraeya stepped out and into the hallway, finding everything looked new and not remembering anything from the day she'd arrived.

"Alright Maeve. Let's get this over with. I can't promise I won't call it a form of torture."

• Haha
Maeve stood up straight when Fraeya appeared, having been crouched down to talk with one of the smaller fae who worked in the manor house, and gave the other woman a huge grin.

"It's not like any kind of shopping you've ever done before," the red-head promised and looped her arm through Fraeya's before leading her back through her home. No doubt a few things might have caught Fraeya's eye as they did; an indoor pond where fae were bathing, stain glassed windows and enclosed courtyards, and beautiful paintings capturing various scenes of Endora throughout the seasons.

The trip to the city was not a long one even on foot and Maeve explained as they walked how when she had first arrived it had been even smaller.

"People arrive every day from all over the world to set up their shops here," she explained as they began to move through the streets. The atmosphere was different to anything in the other courts. People did not scream their wares, there was laughter and children playing, neighbours chatting with one another and performers roaming in the streets. Every fae they passed beamed and called out good mornings.

• Nervous
Fraeya clenched her jaw. Her shoulders all but strung up and high with tension. Until she noticed that people weren't giving her looks of distrust and anger. No looks of judgement or hatred. No one was charging at her to 'teach her her place.' To see if she still bled. To gawk at her pointed ears. No one was looking at her like she didn't belong.

Perhaps that was just because she was with Maeve.

Jaw clenched as her green eyes were too anxious to land on any one face for too long in case she saw their cheery-warm looks suddenly change.

"How...how long has this place been here?" She asked, letting herself relax a tiny-teeny-bit as she felt like she was seeing the city for the first time. And it was...it was a breath of fresh air as if she hadn't taken a proper breath in a very long time.

There were shops filled with art supplies: bright paints in the windows. Art of all kinds, sculptors, pottery, carved and polished wood. Food shops galore, Chewie's Honey and Lavender caught her eyes.

• Smug
"Not very long," Maeve said as she caught Fraeya's attention lingering on one of the shops. Instead of making a deal about it she pretended as if she wanted to peruse the shops items instead. All the while she tried to do the mental maths of when Endora had come to existence. "It was only a month or two before I got here... so perhaps... four months?" she half asked, unsure of her own guesses. The shopkeep - a goat puca with a pair of rounded spectacles resting on the very end of his nose - stepped out to greet them.

"Lady Maeve, an honour," he gushed, bowing, before turning to Fraeya with curiosity. "Welcome My Lady, please ask any questions about my wares... but I couldn't help over hearing," he smiled apologetically. "I have been in Endora exactly five months, if that helps you Miss. The Prince rescued my family from near death in the Winter Court."

• Bless
Fraeya's mouth dropped open.

"Five months and all this," voice trailed off. Speechless. The Changeling was speechless. This was incredible. Almost unbelievable. All this had been built. This many people came here within the past five months? She tried to imagine it. If she'd been taken here before the ball that had changed everything. But...Lorcan had created this place after the ball.

After her life had changed.

Fingers lifted, touching her clear and smooth skin around her neck, where the marking from her binding with the Erlking was no longer there. The bargain completed and closed. She finally managed to close her mouth and stop looking like a water nymph out of the river. Turning to the puca she gave a small, hesitant smile.

"I'm glad."

And she was. She was, herself, being saved right now. What was going on in Winter though? She would've expected Night Court. Or Summer for sure. Perhaps even Fall, from her own experience. Even Dawn.

But Winter?

"Your shop is lovely," Fraeya commented, fingers trailing over a vial of honey, labeled cinnamon-vanilla. "I have also been," she took a breath, tucking blonde strands of hair beneath one pointed ear, "recently rescued," a quick glance to Maeve but she didn't say anymore.

• Smug
"Well," the shopkeeper smiled and picked up the jar Fraeya had been caressing. "Please, take this as a welcome gift. May Endora bring you all the joy it has brought me and my family - excuse me," he bowed and hurried off to see to another customer who had wandered over to peruse his maple syrup. Maeve smiled and looped her arm back through Fraeya's, guiding her off before she could protest or give it back.

"Come on, I want to show you my favourite bit," the excitement was clear in her voice.

The main street sloped down and the sound of running water soon reached their heightened ears. Then suddenly, turning a corner, the meandering river came into view. Several rainbows arched perfectly over from one bank to the next like bridges, brought into affect by the splashing of the water against the rocks. Kids ran across wooden bridges in an attempt to try and touch the marvel of light, laughing as they did.

• Cthulu Knife
She stared at that jar of honey clutched in her fingers like it was a trap. Because nothing was free in the fae world - at least in Autumn, ever. Period. Especially not the changelings. It just didn't work like that. A narrowing of her eyes at Maeve as she hurried her along and out of the store before being able to do anything about it.

Relenting, she put it in her pocket like it was a curse as their pace picked up.

"I'm coming, sheesh. Do you want me to trip? Are you taking me to my death?" Voice was as dry as crackling leaves. "Why the ru-," mouth dropped as they rounded that corner.

It wasn't just that it was beautiful. It was the peace of it all. No kivren or kelpies waiting to snatch those kids. There was even a human girl playing among those with pointed ears. Along with a few puca and sidhe.

"Is this place powered by a leprechaun or something?" Fraeya had met a few in her time. One that had helped her out of the underground fighting maze not too long ago.

• Aww
Maeve leaned on the wooden rail of one of the three bridges that crossed the river and simply watched with pure, unhidden joy, as her people went about their ordinary lives.

"There's a few who moved in recently from a place they call the Forgotten Isles, apparently they had heard of this place and missed being a part of the fae worlds," she explained. The rainbows shimmered as one child ran its hand through it a few bridges down. "The rainbows seemed to appear when they moved in, I like to think it's a sign they're happy here," she beamed with pride. Pride for her mate. Pride for the things he had built and the people he had helped.

"I think it helps Lorcan struck a bargain with his father, he can only come here one day a year. So people feel... safe."

• Nervous
Her hands tightened on the railing of the bridge. A jolt as she stared at Maeve, forgetting about the rainbows and the beauty before her. "One day a year," she breathed. Jaw clenched. "He must never know that I came here. Do you understand?"

She swallowed, her face losing a shade of color.

Any gain on relaxing suddenly gone from her face. Features not tight and pinched. Wary and thoughtful. And if these people felt safe because the Erlking could only come one-day a year. That was utterly delusional. That fae could do a lot of damage in one day.

• Aww
Maeve laid a hand on Fraeya's shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"He has sworn to rules of peace, but none shall know you were here if you would like it so," and a fae's word was binding. From what Lorcan had told him he had been very firm to ensure that even on that day, his father would not cause any danger to the people who lived here. There was a curious expression on Maeve's face as she turned back to watch the children play, one that was a mix of thoughtful and confused.

"Strangely, I do not think he wants to harm what Lorcan has created here. I think... I think he is finally proud of his son for something," Lorcan had laughed when she'd said the same to him but something nagged at her that is was so.

• Bless
"For all our sakes, I hope you're right," Maeve's touch found a way to dispel the clouds of worry that had shadowed Fraeya's face. "Midir reminds me of a lion. Strong. Powerful. Respectable...sometimes. But never safe. So just, be careful with what you assume."

She took a deep breath and turned her back to the rainbows and playing children and rivers and instead, looked to the city. "I just wish this place had been around when I'd been a girl. I can't imagine how different things might have turned out." Head tilted as she picked up something on the wind.

It was a lilting tune being played on a harp.

"You hear that? Where is that coming from?"

• Gasp
Maeve's answering smile was almost secretive but it quickly grew into a wide grin when her ears picked out the little tune.

"Let's go see!" she grabbed her friends hand and all but dragged her towards the music.

Back across the bridge they travelled and deeper into the city proper. Large wooden houses surrounded them painted in blues, reds, yellows and greens. Pretty flowers dotted window boxes or people dined on small tables and chairs on their little balconies, watching the world go by over their morning coffee. The music was louder here and as they turned a corner more people seemed to join them in travelling in the same direction, all pulled by the same urge to see who was making such beautiful music.

Sat in the middle of the square was a faun gently caressing the strings of a harp. Her eyes were close and she seemed entirely lost in the music herself. Others stopped to listen with some sitting down on nearby benches or chairs outside little cafes, others simply stood leaning against their loved ones as they listened misty eyed.

• Yay
Fraeya did not openly gawk as they walked. Instead, she snuck secretive glances. Quick, unsure looks. As if she was sure this place didn't really exist. As if it would all disappear in a moment. As if those who smiled and waved at her would realize who she really was. And that she didn't belong.

But as they got closer to the music, she could feel some of those lies melt further back into her brain.

She'd always had a talent for music. And Delun had helped foster it. He quite seriously said one morning, when he caught her recording some of her songs in the magical acorns that she kept in her pockets as potential boons to use, that if she'd been born fae, that would've been her affinity. And he'd never been entirely convinced that her gift with music wasn't some kind of other magic.

She hadn't touched music since the change. And as she watched the faun, it caused dual feelings of sadness and joy stir within her chest. Stepping forward, she took the small jar of cinnamon-honey and set it on the ground in front of the faun as a tribute.

• Aww
As Fraeya left her gift Maeve spied a vacant table and slid into one of the chairs then waved her friend over when she was done gawping. From here they could enjoy the music but, more importantly to Maeve, this was the shop she had originally dragged Fraeya out of bed to scope out.

"This is the chocolate place I was telling you about,"
she whispered when the blonde joined her and slid her a menu. "Isn't she brilliant?" Mae nodded to the faun who was just coming to the end of her lilting tune to a round of applause from those gathered. The timid fae stood and bowed, then begun collecting the gifts people had left at her feet. She glanced over to Fraeya with a grateful smile when she picked up the jar of honey.

• Ctuhlu senpai
"Yeah," Fraeya agreed. "She has a real gift." She brought the menu up to her face, hiding her expression for a moment from Maeve. She was tempted to ask if there were any music shops around but...she wasn't quite ready yet. Perhaps one day she'd wander around on her own and find one.

On the menu there were drawings of what things were. There were chocolate drinks, hot and cold. Mini statues and figurines made of different kinds of chocolate. A surprised and rare laugh bubbled up from Fraeya's throat.

"It says here you can order a small sculpture of the Spring King himself, Nairth San'Seya. Whipped cream topping included."

Maeve blinked at Fraeya and then glanced down at the menu. So that was the Spring Kings name. She was still learning the various heads of the Courts but most of her energy had been spent in recovering from her time in the Summer dungeons and she had fallen behind in her studies. Drastically. Lorcan was not much help in that regard for he thought the less she knew and the more interested she was in Endora - in reading, riding, exploring - she wouldn't hunger to know of the wider fae world. She would be safe.

"Will you teach me?" she asked abruptly. "About... the politics going on? I can't help Lorcan if I don't understand this world," she sighed and raised her eyes to scan the square before them. "I don't even know half the types of fae there are - that... kelpie the other day? That's the first time I'd even believed they were real!"

• Thoughtful
Very slowly, she lowered the top of the menu down her face. So only her eyes looked at Maeve, a long somber look. The meadow greens around her pupils darkening as if a storm was building over the usually bright spring and summer fields. A pinched inhale and then a hold of that breath. The menu lowered another inch until finally it rested back on the table's surface.

"I will teach you what is mine to tell you but only if you swear you won't go off on your own without telling me first. And that if Lorcan finds out how you're learning this information that he won't harm or banish me or those I care about or claim."

• Gasp
Maeve blinked at the sudden rush of conditions that followed then slowly frowned. There was pity in her eyes and she put a hand across the table to touch her friends arm.

"You don't need to ask any of that of me Fraeya, I would never even thing..." she closed her mouth. "We look like them, but we are not them," she finished firmly and there was a strong conviction in her voice and her eyes. Like she would fight in order to keep that mortal part of her no matter how weak it made her in the eyes of fae-born. "But I'll agree it in anyway you wish if it makes you feel better. I just want to understand the world I'm living in now."

• Bless
A small flinch at the touch. One she couldn't hide. She wanted to draw away from the touch and run far away from everything. But she forced herself to still. Her gaze moving away from Maeve's fingers on her arm back up to green eyes that were almost like her own.

"I was practically born with them," she said quietly. She'd been taken as a baby. "I don't know another way." But Maeve was still right. With a breath, she began to open up to the redhead. "I've always hated, loved, and feared them. Probably because I knew I'd never be one of them. And even now that, physically, I am one of them. We are," voice trailed off. "I'm still not ever going to be one of them. If that makes sense?"

She shifted uncomfortably in her chair.

"I just don't want you to get hurt. Not just because I'm sure Lorcan would probably blame and take it out on me but because you're the first friend I've ever had." Sure, there were a few fae she'd counted as she could trust. But there'd always been the unequal power balance. And with Maeve, even though she was a princess, Fraeya felt like they were more on equal footing. Especially because they were both made.

• Aww
Maeve held one hand over her heart and raised the other.

"I solemnly swear not to get myself killed," she finished with a wink and smile. And, whatever Fraeya believed, she did mean it. She was very attached to her life as it was currently and no intentions of gallivanting off to meet all of those Fraeya told her about. "But we don't have to do it now, today is about us having fun," she nodded firmly. Lessons were for libraries. This was about spending time with her new friend.

"So what are you going for?" she picked up the menu again and pursed her lips. "I might go for a Brownie's Treat Milkshake."

• Bless
There was no mirth or lightness to her face as she looked over the princess. A quick nod of her chin in satisfaction at the promise. "Having fun? I suppose it is fun when I don't have to worry about being eaten alive or my soul taken as I navigate between fae realms."

But if this place was as safe as Maeve and Lorcan touted it to be.

She forced herself to slowly exhale and leaned back in her chair, studying the menu a bit closer. Then closed it slowly. "Maeve, I don't have any currency on me. I left so quickly," she said quietly and quickly. "And I'm not a charity case nor do I believe anything in the fae realm is ever really free. You and Lorcan have already done so much for me already," voice trailed off.

She couldn't afford this nor did she want more debt.

• Aww