Private Tales In the Pursuit of Power

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kristen Pirian

Pride and Steel
Character Biography
Link

"This isn't an indulgence of your whims, Initiate Pirian," Proctor Magomo said. He stood watching over her, his arms crossed, as she collected her belongings and supplies into her travel pack. "This is a chance for you to make something of yourself."

"Yes, Proctor Magomo," Kristen said dutifully. The sky outside the window of her Outer City accommodations was still dark, only slivers of the orange light of the sunrise peeking through the Allirian skyline.

"Your performance at that chapel is the only thing which has granted you this." Proctor Magomo, nor truly any of the Academy's Proctors, would ever outright praise an Initiate, but this was as close as it got. "And I expect more of that out of you."

"Yes, Proctor Magomo."

He took a step forward, and Kristen immediately stopped what she was doing and stood at attention before him. Always were Proctor Magomo's eyes intense, his piercing stare unbroken by even a singular blink. He was a paragon of discipline, of steadiness, but the manner in which he now spoke hinted at an explosiveness which could be summoned at will if he so chose.

His voice was low, his words as solid as stone. "If you betray this meager allowance of trust I've given you, if this turns into another Vel Acan...I will destroy you, Pirian. No more Revolution softness. No more light touch. I will put you through what I went through in the Academy. And your family won't be able to save you. Do you understand me, Initiate?"

She couldn't show any sign of weakness. No averting of her gaze, no nervous trembling, no stuttering of her voice; firmness, resolve, or else she will have already lost. The Darling Daughter of House Pirian needed to be suppressed, and the Dreadlord within her needed to be shown with full confidence.

Quiet, but resolute, Kristen said, "Yes, Proctor Magomo. I understand. I will not fail you."

It wasn't a smile. Not really. But the little curve at the edge of Proctor Magomo's mouth was as close as the man would show. "Good." And then he added, "Bring back a trophy from these 'Dark Ones.'"

ALLIR REACH
APPROACH TO SOVEREIGNTY CASTLE

Days riding upon the roads of a new continent, each and every hill foreign to Kristen's eyes. The expanse of fields and forests were all treats to the exploratory curiosity she held deeply in her heart. Epressa, in all its glory! The initial journey from the Portal Stone to Alliria, embarked upon the civil business she and Proctor Magomo had first come here for, was but an appetizer. Here, on her own (or at least without the stern atmosphere that came with a Proctor looming near), she could appreciate more fully the sublime wonder that came from feasting her eyes upon stretches of Arethil previously unknown.

There was, of course, a small bit of anxiety that came with such a venture. Namely, her destination and if she would find it. Kristen had employed her best efforts to put to memory the directions she had been given. The castle which now served as the heart of the Sovereign Order was, at least, in the Allir Reach, a place fairly well mapped by the extensive efforts of the Cartographer's Guild of Alliria. Yet even with that and even with a heightened awareness of each fork, each intersection, of the roads, still that nagging anxiety whispered worry that perhaps she could have taken a wrong turn hither or thither.

But as the first glimpses of the walls and citadel of Sovereignty Castle peeked through the trees and the green slopes, Kristen felt assured that she had come to the right place.

Here, Aionus willing, she might find help in the avenging of Our Queen of Stars chapel. And, furthermore, in preventing the evil which had spawned the tragedy from proliferating.

Kristen rode toward the gates of the outer wall, glancing up at the parapets during her approach. Before the gates and at courteous distance did she halt her horse.

"Hail!" she called. "I am Lady Kristen Lucretia Pirian, and I seek an audience with your Supreme Monarch, Dauner A. Light!"

Dauner

Last edited:
  • Cthuloo
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Taayi and Dauner
Sovereignty Castle had finally begun to look like an actual castle. No longer did any weak infrastructure stand within its walls, and all traces of the forest's reclamation of the fortress were now all gone without so much as a single trace left. The order had finally settled down, giving them ample time to consider their next course of action. This too, Dauner had already planned in detail. Sitting in the throne room with all seven councillors present, they discussed this in detail.

"…and so I think it is urgent that we proceed with the sovereignty project with haste" Sophia said, finishing her report. The council seemed to be in agreement with her suggestion, as nods accompanied the murmurs in the room. Although the order had a well defended base, and a small, but strong enough military to rival the small kingdom within whose border they had settled, they lacked a solid foundation, and a stable source of revenue and recruits. That was what the sovereignty project aimed to fix.

Dauner sighed. Although the project was his idea, he didn't think there'll be a need to rush it this soon. But the kingdom of Koda had already started making its move, and it was but a question of time before the war was at hand.

"All hail the Great Monarch" a soldier bowed a distance away from the throne. "Your guest has arrived, my lord"

"Very well! You're all dismissed" he said, with a wave of his hand. The soldier and councillors all took their leave afterwards. "Hah! Building the heavenly demon's army was so much easier than this" he thought as he got off his throne and walked out. "Well, I was much stronger back then"

AT THE CASTLE GATES

Barely a minute would pass after Kristen hailed the guards, that the gates would open, and a man wearing a formal military uniform, black in color with golden stripes at the edges, would walk out to receive her. On his chest was a gold-colored badge with a three crossed swords symbol on it. A representation of his rank. Accompanying him would be two soldiers, each in military uniform, black in color with silver stripes at the edges, and wearing silver-colored badges with two crossed sword symbols on them. Every other guard on the walls would wear a similar black uniform, but with brown stripes instead, and their badges of bronze with a single sword symbol.

When he'd get close, he'd first offer a bow as a show of respect. "Greetings Lady Pirian. I am Rokan Zeffrey. I would like to welcome you to Sovereignty Castle. The monarch awaits your arrival. If you'd please" he'd say, gesturing for her to follow him.

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Kristen dismounted from her horse once the gates opened. As she watched the man approach, the thought inevitably occurred to her as to how strange it was to see someone in a different uniform than that of the Anirian Guard. It was not as though she'd never seen such a thing, no; Alliria was but the most recent example, and ventures into Elbion, into Cortos, and into Salesia were also within the easy grasp of memory. Only here at Sovereignty Castle did the thought truly present itself so vividly to her: 'twas fair to say that all her life was spent in Vel Anir, and only seldom had she cause to venture out.

There was the vast, beautiful landscape of Arethil to see, but also the people with whom to meet and be acquainted.

The man bowed, and Kristen, in turn, smiled and offered him a curtsy, raising with her hands imagined edges of a dress.

"Very well, Rokan. I shall follow your lead."

In his wake she proceeded, leading her horse by the reins until it could be properly stabled or hitched. The sound of her armor lightly clattered as she walked introduced another curious thought to her mind.

Goodness, she certainly was in these days meeting more people whilst clad in armor rather than being adorned in formal wear, wasn't she?

Dauner

• Sip
Reactions: Dauner
Upon crossing the first gates, they'll have to walk a few dozen meters on the bridge that served as the only thing between them and the moat beneath. The bridge was large enough to let two carriages cross together, with some leeway. At the end of the bridge, would be the second gate, at which point a soldier would offer to help lead Kristen's horse to the stables. Proceeding forth, they'd pass through the yard to get to the main keep.

The keep was divided into three floors. The first was the working area, withing which the department carried out most of their operations. The second, was where the offices of the knight commanders and councillors were, together with the throne room, and council chamber. The third floor, which was the smallest, was the monarch's private accommodations, where his office resided. The remaining areas, such as the barracks and accommodations for high ranking members, as well as guests, were in separated buildings.

Kristen was led by Rokan straight to Dauner's office on the third floor, where she'd be welcomed by the man himself.

"Finally, we meet" Dauner would say, making his way over to them. "You may leave us, Rokan" he'd dismiss, with Rokan leaving after taking a bow. "I believe proper introductions are in order. I am, the lord of this estate, Dauner Alzef Light, though I do prefer to go by Dauner A. Light nowadays. A pleasure to make your acquaintance" he'd finish with a kiss to her hand.

• Bless
Kristen couldn't help but to glance around as Rokan guided her through the castle. Nearly two years had she spent within the environs of the Dreadlord Academy, only in more recent times being allowed to venture out on missions with peers. Those familiar walls of the Academy seared themselves into her consciousness, invaded her dreams on many occasions, and in a way drew something of a fog over the rest of the world, making even her very home something obscure by the ever clouding lens of memory.

Her appreciation for simply a change of scenery, for having the rare opportunity to see how others lived (especially if they themselves were of a martial order!), had only been magnified. Perhaps the stones which constituted the walls of Castle Sovereignty and the walls of the Academy were of the same character, but within their bounds they housed two very different worlds.

On more than one occasion she lagged behind Rokan, admiring, and had to quickly fast walk to catch up.

But they arrived. Up the stairs and through the door was their destination. There within the office, the addressee of one of the many letters she had sent out, the one who responded in the affirmative, the one with whose help another tragedy like that of the Stars Chapel could be averted.

Dauner A. Light.

As he introduced himself, Kristen stood as the very image of the noblewoman that Mother had instilled in her; prim posture, chin level, shoulders relaxed and her hands held in front of her. She smiled pleasantly when he kissed her hand. Far removed was she from courtly gestures of the kind; where once they had been ordinary in her noble life, the necessary roughness of the Academy precluded such refinement.

She dipped into a curtsy to greet him. "And a pleasure to make yours. I am Lady Kristen Lucretia Pirian, Dreadlord Initiate of Vel Anir and daughter of House Pirian, though please, if you would, simply Kristen is befitting enough. May I call you Dauner?"

Dauner

• Cheer
Long had he been away from noble entourage, and mannerly norms that made up the noble world. But even then, 7000 years of nothing but battle and slaughter was far from enough to make him forget the skills he'd instilled in himself several millennia prior. But it was more than enough to obscure them some. Now, he stood not as a dignified noble he once learned to be, but as one with a rather rough demeanor. Still, such skills, he would sharpen again in time.

A kiss to the hand. A curtsy in kind. Dauner would offer a warm smile as Kristen introduced herself. "Then I shall do just that, Lady Kristen" he replied. Although she had given him the permission to address her by her first name, Dauner still thought it would sound rude to address her simply by the name, and without a title attached. This was still their first meeting, after all. "I would be most pleased if you did" he continued, as she asked to address him by his first name as well. "Please, come in. Have a seat" he'd finally say. Their entire introduction was done while still at the door to Dauner office, and Dauner would not have a guest stand at the door for any longer than that.

The office bore a relaxed design, with Dauner's desk on one end, and a set of couches around a table on the other. A shelf, full of potted plants of different species, spanned the entirety of the left wall. And on the right wall, was a bookshelf, together with a cupboard holding teaware and glassware, as well as a few bottles of the finest alcohol Dauner could procure. On Dauner's desk, along with a number of documents, was a flask of freshly brewed tea.

"Would you like some tea? Or do you prefer a more intoxicating beverage?" he asked, as he filled his own glass with alcohol.

• Popcorn
Kristen entered once prompted, taking a small moment to absorb the atmosphere of the office—much like how she did with the rest of Castle Sovereignty. She sat at one of the couches, ankles together and hands folded in her lap (so much as she could, what with her gauntlets).

"Oh! Tea, please, that would be wonderful."

A certain eventful night in Vel Yuna, which, by the next morning resulted in a thoroughly drunken mess, had the lasting effect of making Kristen rather wary of spirits. It'd be some time yet, she reckoned, for the sharp edge of sordidness of that night to dull. Embarrassing and improper, that whole affair.

Yes, tea would be fine.

Dauner

• Popcorn
After filling his glass with wine, and another cup with tea for Kristen, he walked over with both in hand, handing the cup over to Kristen, before taking a seat on the couch opposite to her. These little task would normally have been left to the maids on duty, but although Dauner was on to indulge himself in sloth, he wasn't that far gone yet.

Dauner would seat himself, one leg crossed over the other, and take a sip off his glass, before laying it down on the table. "I don't mean to sound rude or intrusive, but I took the liberty of ordering an investigation into the matter that led you to me" he'd speak, finally getting down to business. Information in Alliria was much easier to dig into than in Vel Anir, given the order's complete absence in the latter, yet. The Reaper's Den mercenary guild in Alliria was one of the order's subsidiary organisations, although this was information kept under wraps. The guilds influence in the underworld made acquisition of information much easier than one would expect. "Our Queen of Stars chapel. I heard you were involved in a terrorists' attack there, and have been poking for information about the initiators ever since. So, I think it's safe to assume, that is the matter that has brought you here, correct?" he'd finish suggestively.

Dauner was straight to the point, while avoiding bluntness as best he could. In his experience, a situation such as the one before him wasn't one to be left aside for the sake of exchanging pleasantries for hours on end. Instead, it was best to go straight to the point, for the earlier the mystery was resolved, the better. The only thing he was really interested in, though, was relieving his endless boredom, and joining Kristen on this adventure was sure to aid him in this matter. That, plus he's never been one to turn down a request from one as beautiful as the one he now shared pleasantries with.

• Yay
Accepting the cup, Kristen sipped the tea. Oh, lovely, chamomile and honey, one of her favorite brews. A few more sips were to follow as she listened, and then she held the cup down in her lap.

"Yes, it is precisely that matter." And with a small wave of her left hand she added, "You needn't worry of sounding rude nor intrusive. I am quite glad, in truth, that you did."

The porcelain fingertip of her artificial hand tapped the cup she held. Down went her gaze from Dauner as she opened a harrowing door of memory.

"Mayhap you have likewise heard through your investigation of the savage malevolence that was on display at the Chapel that evening. I shan't recount it, for I see no need, but I will tell you of the foes that I fought."

She looked back up, a clear disdain in her eyes for the name she was about to speak.

"Desecrators. Servants of the Dark Ones. Those who sought their power, and who could not handle the sheer weight of it. Where once they may have been human, or elf, or any other, what is left is a twisted reflection of their unholy gods."

Kristen did not know how familiar Dauner was with Celestialist lore, but even she, before that fateful evening at the Chapel, had only read of such dreadful creatures—and other such spawn of the Dark Ones—in the canon concerning the Noxomarchy. Tacitly, she had thought that Desecrators and other spawn simply did not exist upon Arethil any longer.

"Hollowed shells as they are, someone, or something, must have sent them."

Dauner

• Popcorn
Kristen spoke of godly entities from a religion Dauner was had no familiarity with. Dauner was no man of religion. Rather, it was still a fresh memory when he waged war on the gods of Segora. To put it simply, him and gods just didn't mix. That, plus he was himself, a being that sought transcendence over mortal coil, to become a god, and he was already half-way there. Now, despite Dauner's lack of religious fervor, he wasn't one to ignore the power of information. Although briefly, he'd skimmed over some celestialist texts, acquired during their investigation of the tragedy at Our Queen Of Stars Chapel. After skimming through the celestialist lore, he could at least remember the names of its patrons. He'd have to look through them again, should he desire more profound knowledge on the subject.

This adventure sounded more and more like a pain, the more he listened to Kristen. Should he accept to help her, he'd have to come in contact with these dark ones eventually. As a being that heralds, neither from this era nor plane of existence, his identity as an otherworlder would be all but revealed beneath the piercing eyes of a god. Knowing himself, he reckoned they wouldn't get along, meaning he could be in for yet another war with a god, barely a year after his battle with the void majesty, and after having crossed over to Arethil. The thought of it excited him in more ways than one, providing motivation, where once it may have lacked. But he held himself from making it look obvious. His poker face, ever the elusive one, it was.

"What can you tell about these desecrators" he'd finally speak, after a momentary silence.

• Yay
"Not much more than I already have, I'm afraid," Kristen said. The thin line of her mouth put on display her concern—would that the ancient sources told more! "In truth, and perhaps to my shame, I scarcely even believed that such things could even exist until the attack on the Chapel. Certainly they—and other dark spawn of their ilk—are extremely rare sights upon Arethil, and blessed be the Holy Sentinel for that! Yet the folly of mortals, those who tread down one of the many sinister roads of Dark Magic, open the way for such beings—or, as it is with Desecrators, end up becoming them. So it is written in the canon of my faith."

By Aionus, what madness could drive a person to sacrifice everything for that slight chance at power? Everything. All that is sacred and dear, discarded, as though virtue and family and goodness were but burdens holding them back from something better.

"As I alluded to in my letter, local sources in Alliria have not been of much aid. The Adventurer's Guild had no postings relating to the spawn of Dark Ones. The city guard knew of no similar incidents. Traveling adventurers I questioned knew nothing of correlated suspicious activity out in the Reach. Several groups and companies of mercenaries were, as befitting their profession, more interested in the size of my coin purse than anything else." Kristen covered her mouth with a hand and laughed, the sound of it a touch frustrated and rueful, "Far from a patron of taverns am I, but even there, hubs of rumor and gossip as they are, was I left sorely wanting for any sort of lead!"

The laughter departed, and the seriousness returned. Perhaps the most frightening aspect of all this was the evident forbearance and carefulness of the mastermind behind it. What happened in the Chapel was an attempt at a full massacre, but it was a highly calculated evil.

"And so I have come to you, Dauner, and your Sovereign Order as my last hope."

Dauner

• Popcorn
It takes a villainous mind, to understand another. However, although he was no villain, Dauner had been in the shoes of one, more times than he could care to count. There was no doubt that the massacre was a calculated move, but to what end? That was the real question. From what he knew of celestialism, whereas the pantheon represented the light, the Dark Ones were the representatives of the darkness. And, as with most evil gods, they most likely relied on fear, to maintain their level of power. Those forgotten soon enough cease to exist, or so he read from the 'book of immortals' back on Segora. If that was the case, then this might have been a means of the old ones to reignite fears of old in the hearts of the masses. In other words, the Our Queen of Stars chapel massacre was but the first of many more such incidents.

His second hypothesis was that, rather than the Dark Ones themselves, it was one of their believers who orchestrated the attack against the celestialist faithful. Maybe to win the favor of their patron, or to strike down a target within that chapel. After giving it a few seconds of thought, Dauner was only able to make out a plan based on his first hypothesis. If the case was the second, however, it would prove even harder to track the culprit.

Dauner let out a sigh as he took a sip from his glass. "It has been too long since I last indulged myself in such mysteries. You can count on my help in this matter. I shall put what remains available of the order's resources towards this cause" he said. The Sovereign Order, as Kristen may have noticed on her way in, was preparing for a war, and as such, not much was left of the resources they could muster.

"Now that we are allies in this, I believe I have some information that may be of interest to you" he'd continue, with a flick of his fingers. A lady, dressed in the same type of uniform as the squires guarding the gates, walked in with a piece of paper in hand, and handed it to Dauner. Dauner, in turn, handed the paper over to Kristen. It was a report, concerning a recently burned down village, known to be mostly inhabited by celestialist faithful, within the borders of Koda. No villager was left alive. It was yet unknown if desecrators had a hand in it, but it was a clue worth investigating.

• Cheer
A relief, warm and welcome, when Dauner gave his assent to be of aid, and a pleased smile followed. For all the fervor she possessed in the effort to avenge the poor souls of the Our Queen of Stars chapel, it would do no good if she nothing of where to direct it. Or, so it might be, if she by herself had not the strength to vanquish the perpetrators. She simply didn't know what she would be facing. Most reassuring, then, to know that she would not be alone.

Kristen, a hopeful alertness in her raised brow, accepted the report given to her. She read it over, eyes scrolling carefully over each word and detail.

"An entire village," Kristen said gravely. "May their souls find rest."

She looked up from the report. "This tragedy is similar enough to the Chapel. Mayhap the same villain is behind both, and so shall justice be found for each."

Her tone took on a more inquisitive air then. "I am, however, unfamiliar with this Kingdom of Koda. Perhaps you could enlighten me, Dauner?"

Better to know everything she could now, or else tempt another 'cultural' incident like what happened in Cortos with that Inquisitor.

Dauner

• Popcorn
To speak of all he knew of the kingdom of Koda would take hours on end, and Kristen had yet to take rest from her journey to Sovereignty castle. Dauner was no gentleman, but he was a lover of beauty and the female charm. This was enough to warrant his care for such details when interacting with those women who fell under that category. However, he would summarize it all, to only what he believed to be the important points to note.

"Koda is but a small kingdom, a rather annoying one, that stretches towards the west from here" he started, taking another sip from his glass, as though to fend off a headache. "There are a number of religions within its borders, but celestialism seems to hold the dominant position. Safe for its rich pottery industry, it isn't really remarkable by any measure. The only two things to watch out for in there, are cultists, and criminal syndicates. Its internal security is rather pathetic, and its army is nothing but just size. And now, they seem to be preparing their armies for an attack on Sovereignty Castle, so they can't spare much for protecting those who live outside the protection of fortified cities. Well, that also means, they wouldn't be able to get in the way of our investigations" he finished. With Kristen being a celestialist herself, there wasn't much to worry about when it came to communication, he reckoned.

"I'm sure you must be tired from your journey. I'll have Rokan escort you to the guest house specially prepared for you. How about we continue this conversation over dinner, when you're well rested" he proposed. It was a proposal made out of consideration, but he wouldn't mind continuing their conversation, if Kristen didn't feel the need to rest.

• Bless
Kristen listened with close consideration. Nothing too worrisome among the salient points shared by Dauner of the Kingdom of Koda. Save, of course, for the somewhat concerning notion that they were perhaps preparing to do battle against Sovereignty Castle. As a matter of foreign politics it would be best not to become involved. Yet the road of good fortune might be quite narrow, peril threatening either side of it: she might find herself here in Sovereignty Castle if Koda's suspected attack came much sooner than expected, or, in the course of investigating the burned down village within their borders, Koda forces might not be happy to see Order members there.

Dreadful cases. But both, thankfully, hinged upon rotten luck rather than unavoidable certainty.

Kristen finished her tea and set the cup on the table before her.

"That would be lovely, Dauner. Long days of travel always make an occasion for rest and rejuvenation." She rose from her seat, smiling. "Truly, your hospitality is as warm as it is commendable."

Dauner

• Sip
As Kristen rose to her feet, so too did Dauner follow suit. "You flatter me with your words, Kristen" Dauner would reply, returning a smile in kind. How long had it been since he last had to don a noble demeanor for a meeting with someone else. At least, this was the first since he broke the void. Till now, he'd just been going around with a more casual and playful demeanor. One he particularly preferred, since it allowed him to be himself without having to put much effort into facades.

Beaming a friendly smile, he would walk Kristen out of the office, and into his living quarters, where Rokan stood ready. "All hail the great monarch!" Rokan would take a bow as soon as they walked in.

"Then, I shall be seeing you at dinner" Dauner would say, as he placed a good by kiss to Kristen's hand. A nod to Rokan would follow, and Rokan would offer to lead Kristen to her quarters. Accompanying him were two female squires, who had been assigned to catering to Kristen's needs.

LATER THAT NIGHT

The sun had just fallen over the horizon, giving way to the dark of night, illuminated by the moons that orbited Arethil. Sovereignty castle had become a lot quieter, as the hustle and bustle of the day had been put to rest. Luminescent white lights from the lamps, courtesy of dwarven fine craftsmanship, could be seen across the castle, from the outer walls to the keep. A few people still maned some offices on the keep's first floor, and guards patrolled the castle grounds and walls. Some more hardworking members of the order could be seen on the training ground, breaking more sweat, for the sake of improving their skills.

On the third floor of the keep, the dining room would have already been set up for two. Dauner, unlike many nobles, cared little for extravagant displays of wealth. As such, the dining room depicted a rather simple atmosphere. The furniture all shared a similar crimson color with a white carpet underneath, bearing crimson markings over it. The light brown walls were lined with held nothing but a few portraits, and a closed, but uncovered window, peering out into the dark night, and the endless skies, which bore its own decoration of stars.

Knowing he'd be away for a while, Dauner tended to documents in his office, since he wouldn't be able to attend to them for a while, while awaiting notification of Kristen's arrival.

• Wonder
Solo travel was both a joy and an ordeal.

A joy, in that it was one of the many things in which Kristen could break from the lavish pampering of her upbringing. Not that she despised such pampering, no, and in truth she still very much enjoyed luxury and the comforts which came from the upper echelon of society. Yet there was a need in her (sparked to a quiet, crackling life since her kidnapping, though she did not consciously know it) to attain a certain degree of self-sufficiency. Solo travel, shed of carriages and guards and prepared meals, was a challenge to be overcome, full of opportunities to learn and grow. Wiser now was she than before she'd enrolled into the Academy and had such occasions: beware where you place your bedroll, lest you wake tormented by the itchings of poison ivy!

That fond memory drove home the other point: joy could be found in the triumph over hardship, but that hardship was still, inevitably, an ordeal. Weary were her legs from days in the saddle, her armor, though not a set of full plate, nevertheless was a relief to doff even temporarily, and oh how she fancied a bath! Her appreciation of even small comforts had only grown, knowing more intimately the little miseries to endure from the lack thereof.

No fine clothes had she to wear for the dinner, but her arming garments would be well enough. Even if her noble instincts were mother-henning her about it. She at least was able to fix her hair from its usual ponytail into a tight and elegant bun! The helping hands of the two squires were crucial in setting the style neatly in place.

She was led that evening up to the third floor dining room. The atmosphere was of the austerity one might expect from a castle rather than a manor—but oh!—the colors of the furniture and the carpet did not escape her.

"White and red," Kristen said after an introductory curtsy. "The very colors of House Pirian. A coincidence, but a happy one for me indeed."

Dauner

• Bless
Paperwork. The one true dread of the formally renowned heavenly demon. One document after another. Paper giving way to even more paper. Endlessly, with hypnotic effect. What more fearsome invention could there be.

Dauner read through progress reports written by the various councillors on the projects they had been undertaking, placing his seal of approval as he did. He read through special reports from the department of covert ops, scouting reports, issues within the order that needed to be addressed, requests and suggestions from the various departments. Although it was hard for Dauner to actually grow tired, he still felt mentally exhausted, mayhap thanks to acting as such on so many occasions, that it became instinct.

However, when he noticed Kristen's life force enter the keep, as though waiting just for this, he instantly rose from his seat. He had a guest to attend to. The documents will have to wait for a while longer. Or so the reason he made up for his procrastination went.

It was indeed a surprise to Dauner that the colors he'd picked without much thought would be House Pirian's theme colors. He initially planned on going with black and red, but thought it gave far too dark a depiction to receive guests with.

"You look lovely this evening, Kristen" he'd welcome her, inviting her over to the table, where he'd help her pull her chair. With a wave of his hand, he'd dismiss everyone else. Shortly after taking his own seat, some squires would bring in the food. Among the dishes brought in were fish, venison, beef, chicken, and vegetable dishes, all laid out on the table between the two. A glass was placed by their sides, and half filled with red wine, of low alcohol content.

"I hope our cuisine is to your taste" Dauner said, as the squires left. The squire holding the wine stood by, in case anyone needed a refill.

• Yay
You look lovely this evening, Kristen.

"Thank you!"

She took her seat after, watching with anticipatory delight as the food was brought in. Soon enough her plate was well provisioned and beside it rested a glass with (mayhap fittingly?) red wine. By her fourteenth summer had it become more and more commonplace for her to drink wine at formal dinners like her elder family and relatives. Certainly a more enjoyable experience than the regrettable incident involving copious ales in Vel Yuna.

"A veritable feast," Kristen said. She took hold of the wine glass then and prepared to raise it. "Would you like to propose a toast?"

Dauner

• Sip
Dauner offered a smile. "I would be delighted. Then, to our acquaintance, and future cooperation" he said, as he raised his glass to propose a toast.

As soon as his glass touched the table once again, he started by helping himself to a few dishes, serving them onto his plate, before delving into the main topic. "On the issue of our cooperation, I would be very pleased if you would share what information you have thus far gathered. I'm sure it could be put to use to help us progress in our quest" he finished. Dauner spoke with an 'our', rather than a 'your', because from the moment he agreed to assist in it, it had become his, just as much as it was Kristen's.

Dauner may have been a demon. One who ofttimes made use of any means he had at his disposal to achieve his goals, be they unscrupulous or otherwise. However, he was also a man of his word. He had yet to ever break a promise he'd made in his lifetime, the reason for which he had, on many occasions, threaded a path that could have led him to his death, and that too knowingly. This was also the reason he rarely made promises anymore. But now that he had made one, he intended to keep it.

• Yay
"To our acquaintance and future cooperation," Kristen said, raising her glass up for the toast and taking a small sip once done.

She managed a few bites of her venison before the main topic was broached.

"Precious little do I know, and this all coming from the horror I witnessed with my own eyes in the Chapel." How she had been grasping at straws! All of her inquiries in Alliria had led nowhere, and she wouldn't know what she would do if, Aionus forbid, Dauner's lead produced nothing. She could only imagine the dreadful fate of Proctor Magomo making good on his promise to "destroy her" if she did not return with that trophy as proof of her deeds.

"But...I will offer my speculation." Clearly it was troubling to speak of such grave things, but Kristen tried her best to keep a level expression and tone. "Those Desecrators entered into Alliria, traversed through the city under the evening's gloom all the way to the Our Queen of Stars Chapel, and it was only then that the creatures began their slaughter. There were no other murders that night, so was the unanimous word of the Allirian guardsmen I questioned."

Kristen steepled her hands and covered her nose, her nose, pondering. Then her hands slid back down to the table.

"I believe this to be quite demonstrable of the perpetrator's motives. It wasn't about indiscriminate massacre. This villain knew that everyone inside of that Chapel would be a Celestialist." She pointed off in the vague direction of the Kingdom of Koda. "That village you've brought to my attention would fit this motive precisely, and I pray—I pray—that there we will find some sign that leads us to the culprit."

She smiled then.

"It is my sincere hope that providence has led me to you, Dauner. In Aionus the Holy Sentinel I place my faith, and in His image I wish to be a guardian of my fellow faithful."

Dauner

• Cry
It would not escape Dauner's attention, as keen on the finer details as he was, that the topic seemed to bring some degree of discomfort to Kristen. A wise man once said to Dauner, that a meal shared with others, is one to be cherished, far from thoughts that would plague the mind with negativity, and make the food lose its taste. Dauner, however, never really cared about that saying, safe for when the one he was sharing the meal with was a pretty lady. And this just happened to be so. Discussing the quest could wait another day. There were more comfortable topics of discussion that could be had.

"And I pray you find solace in the fact that I shall accompany you in this quest, every step of the way" Dauner would affirm. "It is but a matter of time, before the culprits are brought to heel, and faced with retribution deserved, and the souls of the departed are granted vengeance due" he finished. "Now, let us remove ourselves from gloomy thoughts" he said as he tried to change the topic.

"It has been on the front of my mind for quite a while now, and I think this may the best time to inquire. Kristen, would you do me the honor of telling me more about you?" he'd ask. Although one of the reasons behind the question was getting to know who he'll be working with better, he was mostly just being the flirt he was at his core.

• Bless
Reassuring words: retribution deserved, and vengeance due. Though Kristen longed painfully for benevolent magic, the Divine Magic Aspect of Blessings in particular, she knew as well that she could not aspire to be a steadfast guardian, a vigilant protector of all she loved, without—in a word—the sword. Perhaps one day she would be found worthy of her desire. Until then, it was hers to serve Aionus with the gifts he had granted her thus far.

Dauner cast away the gloomy topic, and Kristen was happy to let it pass. More than happy, as well, to entertain the new one.

"Of course!" A bit of a sly smile following, she added, "On the condition that you, Dauner, grant me the same honor and do so likewise at my conclusion."

With a small sip of wine, Kristen organized her thoughts and began, "I hail from the Republic of Vel Anir far to the west, and it was there that I was born to my father, Neil Taeris Pirian, and my mother, Josephine Juliette Pirian. Every day I am thankful for the love of my family, for it was by this grace that my childhood was one much blessed. By the efforts of my mother and my elder sister Amelia, I was very quickly shaped into a model Pirian, and it was this precocious nature of mine which led to my earning of the title 'The Darling Daughter' early in life." Bashfully, she averted her gaze for a moment. "I was rather enamored by all of the attention."

In the next part she chose her words carefully. The Battle of the Blades was well-known in Anirian lands, at least eight years ago it was, and Kristen was famously held captive in it. But if she could at all avoid talking about it then she did. A topic most vulnerable to her, and one she did not broach in detail unless she trusted to a very high degree the person with whom she was speaking.

"There came some...troubling times. And it was here that I first found Celestialism, the Holy Sentinel Aionus in particular, and my faith was born." She paused. "You must understand how difficult of a position this put me in. Vel Anir, though it is my homeland and I love it so, is even now not a place which the faithful of any creed can find sanctuary. Indeed Mother, when she could not dissuade me from my faith, urged with the utmost severity that I keep my practices hidden from all public view. She was wise to have demanded such of me."

"Then came the great Revolution of Vel Anir itself when I was nearly fifteen years old. Many things changed, our government becoming a Republic of course, but not the least of these changes were those made to the institution of the Dreadlords—this being long overdue by my lights. I showed the capability of magic earlier in my life, after the adoption of my faith and before the Revolution, but..."
she decided to leave out the lengthy explanation of the grisly 'old way' of the Academy and the Dreadlords, "...it was another thing that I needed to keep secret. The Revolution changed this too, and no longer did that secret need to be kept. Indeed, my family then forwarded the idea to me that I should enroll into the restructured Academy, and I chose to do so. Thus am I an Initiate now, striving to do my duty for my country and for my House. I shall not lie: it has been difficult. Unbelievably difficult at times, and I have failed and fallen into error more than I should ever like to say, but...I believe it will all be worth the tribulations endured. I have been given a gift, the gift of magic, and I see no cause more noble than to use it for the judicious protection of all which I hold dear."

Quite a lot she had said and yet there was still plenty she had left unsaid for the sake of brevity. Even so, Kristen felt satisfied with it.

Dauner

• Aww
Dauner listened quietly to Kristen's story. It wasn't a grandiose one, really. No extreme adventure, dragon slaying, or grand battlefields. But it was an interesting one nonetheless. For all the honesty she had put into her story, Dauner felt bad about having to lie a little about his. But he couldn't bring himself to reveal that he had the blood of a demon flowing through his veins. Or that he was tens of thousands of years old. Either of those could completely ruin the friendly relationship he had come to build with Kristen.

Safe for the void, he'd already been to four different worlds. Though it was to a lesser extent in his second world, the people nearly all had an innate hate for the demonic race. Even here on Arethil, shortly after his arrival, he was attacked by a paladin, simply for being half-demon. He wasn't certain, but he wouldn't take the risk of having yet another person deny his existence, by virtue of his birth.

However, that didn't mean he was going to lie about everything. Dauner hardly ever made up complete lies. He simply mixed the truth with lies, in order to give it more credibility.

"Truly admirable is your resolve" Dauner would speak after Kristen was done. "Mine is a rather complicated story" he'd continue, taking a sip of wine first. "I hail from the continent of Segora. A continent found in a world on the other side of the void. My childhood is not one of the best memories I have. My family was a wealthy one. Perhaps the kingdom's wealthiest. This wealth earned my father a certain degree of influence in the country and a place in the king's court. Needless to say, this also brought about jealousy in the circle of nobility. I live a life free of worry. Never caring about working. I left the succession battles to my brother and abstained from it all. Spoiled, is but one of the words to describe me back then" he paused. The incidents that came next was what had turned an innocent little child into the greatest villain Segora had ever seen. Emotions of it had long been numbed by the passage of time. But he did his best to mimic it in his narration, as he simply glossed over it.

"Then came the purge. My father was accused by jealous nobles of being a spy for the empire, with which the kingdom was at war with. Proven guilty by fabricated evidence, our entire family was purged. I alone survived the massacre" he paused again, gulping down the rest of the wine in his glass, as if to wash off a bad taste in his mouth. It was immediately refilled by the squire.

"Well, there's not much to say after that. I trained hard for a few years, then came back to claim the heads of those who had wronged me. The nobles who had framed my father, and those who had carried out the purge. And the foolish king, who despite knowing of the scheme behind the scenes, had executed one of his most loyal retainers. After that, I roamed, and played around here and there. Then got into an accident, and was sent flying through the void, to Arethil" he finished. Two sentences. That was all it took for Dauner to completely gloss over several millennia. He didn't speak of how he destroyed the kingdom after it tried to terminate him for his actions. Or how he got into fights with other kingdoms and empires over the course of various millennia, during which many small kingdoms perished at his hands. He didn't think it was necessary to add his love life in there. That was a more recent story, the pains of which had yet to dim, unlike that with his family. And he certainly did not want to talk about his entanglements with the churches of Segora, and his war on the hypocritical gods that they served. Of course, he never actually fought the gods themselves. Only the saints and religious orders that worshiped them.

"After arriving on Arethil, I had a few adventures here and there. And then decided to create the Sovereign Order, to serve as the power that represents my will on Arethil"

A story, mostly true, that at least would succeed in hiding the details he wanted to be hidden. Though, there were still some loopholes in the story, what he needed to obscure had been obscured.

• Wonder
Kristen might have been able to partake of more wine had she lifted her glass sooner. Yet not long after Dauner began did Kristen pause, glass partially raised for a second and then descending back down to the table, her curiosity engaged. Curiosity which would shortly be accompanied by some minor puzzlement.

Segora? She had not heard of such a place. Oh...my? On the other side of the void, he said. She wasn't sure if she heard that correctly. But then Dauner spoke of things vastly more familiar to her, the likeness of kingdoms and courts and nobility all grounded and immediately relatable. It was dismaying, of course, to hear of the events which made Dauner's childhood harrowing. Easily could her childhood have faced similar dreadful circumstances had she been born to a different House, or even to a different time in her own.

Then came the purge.

Rapt attention, Kristen's eyes almost willing through unbroken contact for Dauner's story to change midway through. It did not. Kristen's left hand rose slowly, as if weighed down by the grave story, to cover with the tips of her fingers her mouth from view.

His entire family. By Aionus...how awful. It was all Kristen could do to quell in her mind's eye the faces of her mother and father, of Amelia, of Uncle Tobias and Henrietta, and so many others.

But she did, and she focused again on his story. There was vengeance against the villains who had brought such terrible tragedy with their wanton injustice, a period of wandering (gosh, what else would you do after all of that?), and, once again, Dauner mentioned coming to Arethil. Where before Kristen could be content with her puzzlement, that mayhap she'd merely misheard, now with the conclusion of his story it seemed very clear.

The look on her face suggested plainly that such a thing was beyond her experience, that she had never before encountered anyone from an entirely different realm. Would it be...rude?...to say as much? To speak aloud the myriad questions which were begged by it? In her mind she tried to equate it as simply meeting a person from another continent, but somehow this comparison seemed woefully lacking.

Not that she was going to first broach that subject anyway. Far more pressing to her was what happened to him, and how he was feeling.

"I know these wounds must still be fresh and painful, and you have my deepest sympathies."

(Kristen, thinking Dauner to be at most seven or eight years older than herself, was unaware of the true nature of the times.)

"Yet...with great courage have you spoken of them. 'Tis truly awful what you have suffered."

Guilt seeped into Kristen's chest. That Dauner could be so open and so honest with her, and yet she, by omitting the single most impactful ordeal of her own life, could not extend to him the same trust. What was she so afraid of?

She placed her hands just above her breast, atop one another. "Though there is darkness behind you, it is my hope there is brightness ahead." She smiled, punctuating her optimism and well-wishing. "Mother is fond of saying, 'Sunshine is never more than a day away.' May it be so for you, all the days of your life."

Dauner

• Aww