Private Tales Half Burned in Flames

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Eira swore she would sleep earlier so that she could rise as soon as the dawn broke, but Tyafainne had kept her up all night by awakening the rider with images of the hunt she had gone on in the witching hour. It was an exhausted Malennis rider that found her way into the Merchants' Corner, dressed in a dress her mother insisted she wear. It was her way in ensuring the younger Malennis would not be flying today, claiming that Eira smelled awfully of her dragon and that was no way to attract a nice husband. Too tired to even process the inner family rivalries holding court at the Malennis ancestral seat, she breezed past the exotic fruits for sale.

Mechants shouted at her, trying to gain her attention and attempt a sale with the noble, but Eira had her path set right.

She weaved through the busy crowd, the late morning sun having brought out the citizens of Thanasis. The market was bustling and it made her feel relaxed to be amongst the chaos that thrived all around.

Tucked away from the main areas of stalls and shops, Eira came across the trader she made an effort to see twice a month.

"Oh." The merchant said, spying the approaching customer. "The Malennis brat again. 'Right, this book here? Stolen from a rich lord in Laidain. I grabbed this because I remembered you were after them books on all sorts of healing and medicinal practices."

Eira beamed, pulling out her coin pouch. "See? I knew you would find something of worth."

"How is that dragon of yours? Healthy? Strong?" The old crone narrowed her eyes at Eira, who simply counted out a price that was not discussed. It was always accepted in the end. "You are a recruit now, I heard. Do they know you are a dragon healer?"

A snort fought it's way from Eira, who took the old tome from the merchant and opened it up carefully. "It is not exactly something I would want to spread. If word gets back to the other Malennis brats," She directed an amused look to the other woman, aware of the affectionate term she used to regard Eira, "then who knows what ruckus they will kick up. Not even content with their dragons, as lucky as they are to even bond--"

"Would you look at that? I say it takes pure guts to walk around with the marks of traitor blood. What you think, girl?"

Eira turned to see who was subjected to the merchant's attention, blinking multiple times at seeing Cullen.

"Oh. So odd to see you here and not mounted onto our dragons." Eira greeted warmly, making sure her voice would be heard. She even offered a light wave. Their training group was a good one, aside from the monstrous red dragon, and she was at least not cordial with them all. Some gave her a wide berth due to her cousins already in the Army, throwing out empty threats she ignored. "Doing some light shopping?" She smiled, looking every bit normal despite standing at the stall that sold stolen goods.

• Gasp
Reactions: Cullen
It was the first time he had set foot in Merchants' Corner in a decade, and distant memories of the place flickered through his mind—memories of a time when he had walked these streets without the weight of disgrace on his shoulders. Despite his newfound status as a dragon rider, it seemed that the marks on his face still spoke louder than his status amongst the ranks of the Ascended.

The warm air was thick with the scent of exotic spices and the clamour of haggling merchants. His keen eyes scanned the surroundings, a habit developed from years of vigilance. He hadn't been safe at the Wall, he certainly wasn't safe here, but people tended to give him a wide berth, their gazes fleeting, and whispers trailing behind him like lingering shadows. The hushed conversations and sidelong glances stung slightly, but Cullen had grown accustomed to the isolation and kept much to himself.

He was being refused a sale of a strange looking fruit when a soft voice cut through the ambient noise, a warm greeting that seemed to defy the unspoken rule of avoiding him. Cullen instinctively looked over his shoulder to confirm that the wave was indeed directed at him. When it seemed that it was, he gave a quick glance around, noting that the poor girl had now garnered some of the disdainful looks and quiet mutterings usually reserved for him.

Cullen turned to face her, his brow quirking with curiosity as he glimpsed the stall she stood before. "You should be careful," he replied, his tone tinged with a touch of amusement, "talking to me is social suicide. People might start questioning your taste in acquaintances."

His eyes met hers, searching for any sign of mockery or disdain in her question about shopping. He snorted slightly, given how difficult a task that was with a stigma of mistrust literally written on his face..

"Just trying to fit in with the common folk," he added, his words laced with self-deprecating humor as he turned his gaze to stare off an older gentleman currently sneering at him and herding his wife and daughters away as though he might try to murder them.

The fruit merchant's cane casually tapped and then prodded at his shoulder, as though he were some beast to be shooed away. With a huff, Cullen dropped the fruit to the ground with a dull splat, and the man swore at him as he stepped away. He'd have had more luck with leprosy.

He'd been about to bid the Malennis girl a good day, though deciding it likely wouldn't do her any favours, he gave a subtle dip of his chin instead, and turned to carry on.

• Smug
Reactions: Eira
If Eira was bothered by the attitudes of those around her, she did not let it show when had taken the book she was buying and skipped ahead to keep up with him.

"I am a Malennis, everyone in that House wants to kill one another. The thoughts of men and women of Thanasis mean nought to me." She tucked the old tome into the crook of her arm and rested it at her waist as she walked with Cullen, meandering aimlessly but nothing the wide berth a lot of the crowd gave them.

"Traitor's blood!" And to Eira's surprise, they spat on the floor. It only made her snort with amusement.

"How about you do that in front of our dragons, sir?" She called out after they passed him. It was not to Cullen's defense, no, she was certain he could hold his own, but it was the fact the dragon rider Malennis thought to remind the people of their import. While many would see her and not recognise her, Eira was still reserved in saying what dragon chose her.

"Besides," she started speaking again, relishing in the change of demeanour of those around them as they simply averted their eyes and said nothing more, "I always believe in being responsible for our own actions, and not those of our parents." It was no secret Eira was seen to be the favourite of Lord Aeron Malennis, even naming her after his own dragon. She had every making of being jumping the line and being named his heir despite being the youngest in all of House Malennis. For that, Eira did not care for. Loyalty to her name was not... at her forefront.

Here, she reached out with her free hand and gripped his arm to pull him to come to a standstill. "All I wished from greeting you was to perhaps make an alliance with you. We are comrades now, are we not?"

Cullen maintained a stoic expression as he navigated the crowded marketplace. He had grown accustomed to ignoring the disparaging remarks and sidelong glances, developing a thick skin over the years of isolation, but his gaze flickered with a hint of amusement at Eira's spirited reaction to the heckling, her defiance echoing through the marketplace.

He listened, taking note of her words, though he remained resolute in his determination to subtly shake off the young noble before any accusations or suspicions could be cast upon him for daring to speak to her. Despite the warmth in Eira's tone, he half-expected her to drift away, choosing prudence over association with a marked one, however, her persistent steps and determination to keep pace with him left him mildly surprised.

His assumptions were shattered entirely when her fingers wrapped around his arm, pulling him to a very tense standstill. Cullen's gaze settled on her hand before shifting to her pretty face, a mixture of confusion and curiosity etched on his features. His eyes searched hers as she spoke, attempting to discern any ulterior motives or hidden agendas. In a world where alliances were often forged for power and status, her proposition seemed almost absurd. The marketplace continued its chaotic dance around them, no doubt already weaving their stories.

His brows furrowed slightly, the weight of skepticism lingering in his gaze. "Alliance?" he echoed, his voice tinged with a hint of incredulity. "I appreciate the sentiment, but aligning yourself with me... it's not exactly a path paved with honour and glory." The unspoken rules of Thanasis were clear, and alliances with the disgraced were generally unthinkable.

His eyes, a mix of curiosity and wariness, softened slightly at what he assumed to be naivety. "Comrades, perhaps, but unless you wish to ruin any future prospects you might have for yourself, don't use the word alliance around me again." he responded, his tone a blend of caution and genuine perplexity.

Cullen considered pulling away, letting the weight of his reputation serve as a warning. Yet, as his gaze lingered on Eira's determined expression, he found himself intrigued by the audacity of her proposal. Surely this was a game to her?

"You may think it means nought to you now, Eira Malennis, but believe me, news of this conversation alone is already on its way to your family and to anyone that matters. Distance is kept for a reason, and I prefer it that way." he frowned, slowly pulling his arm back.

"You really should insult me, loudly, before you leave." he murmured quietly, his gaze shifting warily toward a small group of merchants gathered nearby.

Eira's gaze hardened, making it known her words were not spoken with weakness and without weight to them.

"Lies, deception, and jealousy are always spoken on the tongues of those in my House. My family that aligns with me is that of my father and my mother." It was often forgotten that as soon as Tyafainne had bonded with her sixteen years in the past, the majority of House Malennis and the many cousins turned their back on her out of jealousy. She had been a child, unable to refuse the choice of a dragon, but it hardened her to not listen to the filth and deceit that came from her kin.

"What I speak of and offer is simply something that will benefit us as individuals. We are dragon riders. We are recruited together and train together. I have your back, and you will have mine." Eira released his arm, crossing her own and scanning the crowds where some had stopped to gawk. At the sharp look given by the Chosen Heir of House Malennis, some scattered or simply looked away. "You have nothing else to lose, and I have the eyes of many. One day, I will have those witnessing me make changes here."

The loyalty to her house had been questioned once before, that she had refused to be recruited into the Thanasian Army once she was old enough. Such refusal would put the Malennis name to shame, but Eira stuck by her decision until Tyafainne was ready for it. Eira had grew to learn that loyalty to her family meant nothing to those of the secrets kept by Moon Dragons.

She risked life and limb to keep her own from being killed out of mercy, for the dragon was not the healthiest of hatchlings. A weak dragon only meant a weak rider, and there were still those that thought of this that shared her blood.

"An alliance with me is only with me and my dragon." It certainly had not been her first neogtiation of forging alliances of her own.

• Thoughtful
Dark brown eyes, like smoldering embers, narrowed on Eira. In a world that distrusted him, Cullen had long ago learned to reciprocate that wariness. Trust, a foreign concept to him, felt like a word of a dead language, its meaning lost in the labyrinth of betrayals that defined his past. As Eira's hand left a lingering warmth on his arm, he didn't recoil, but his expression spoke of both concern and deep-seated doubt.

"Why?" he queried, a subtle shrug accompanying the question and the word carrying the weight of years spent navigating a landscape devoid of trust. "We train with plenty of others who don't have the face of a traitor. Why take the risk—and why should I?" His dark brows furrowed, accentuating the wariness etched across his countenance. A step closer, an attempt to appear intimidating, though his guarded stance betrayed the vulnerability beneath.

"Six months ago, I had nothing to lose. Now, I have everything," he continued, his voice a low, gravelly murmur. His eyes, stormy with uncertainty, held hers studiously. The complexity of the city, its treacherous alleys and hidden enmities, weighed on him. "Many in this forsaken city take insult from my bond. They think I'm a danger, would see me dead before I have the chance to take any more." he added with a mirthless laugh, the bitter sound a cynical acknowledgment of the precariousness of his newfound status.

"Perhaps, little Malennis, I am a danger. Or perhaps you are," he mused, tilting his head as if contemplating the enigma of their potential alliance. "All I know is, I don't trust you. I don't trust anyone."

• Smug
Eira did not hide her amusement as he spoke of her potential threats and dangers, that the way he spoke her House's name was not at all filled with assurance humoured her.

"And how many of this fine city and their citizens seen you with your dragon? Watched you have to help your squad and ensure none were left behind? That we are all there as equals? I have seen it all, Cullen Morvane."

She moved on, knowing he would begrudgingly follow as she had more to say.

When they were clear of the busy section of the market, Eira ducked out through one of the lesser known exits, moving until she could lean against a stone wall and wait for Cullen. With him in company, and no more eyes and ears busying themselves into their private business, Eira spoke.

"You speak of me like you are one of my cousins." She snorted, hugging the old tome to her chest. "If you truly knew my way of thinking, my aspirations and ambition, yes... I guess I would be posed as dangerous. But I will not judge a comrade on appearance alone. The crime you wear is not of your own. If any of us, Great House or not, makes a mistake, then we too will be just like you. Alliances shift with each passing day, but I am not going to let society dictate my preferred allegiances."

A hand fell to a stitched in pocket in her dress, procuring an empty bottle that could very well pass as a flask. "Every day I come to this market. I see Yvelda first, as she obtains anything from the other continents that has to do with healing, or mending. Afterwards, I go see Hilbernn, who will fill this bottle with pure Ransa tears. Highly concentrated doses ease the pain in my dragon's wings. It is why I have only just recruited, because for years, she was not ready. And lastly, I would go see the butcher. Tyafainne is not thick headed. She knows I am still treating her, but at least the large cows I have purchased helps her take the treatments."

Eira's dedication to her dragon was the most important thing she had ever done. Older Moon Dragons had wished to kill the runt bonded to the Malennis rider, but fourteen year old Eira begged her father's dragon, her namesake, into helping her see the dragon become strong. She disregarded her studies in order to learn various methods of healing, to help strengthen the wings of Tyafainne.

And when word got out to the rest of her House without dragons, they had tried to kill the dragon themselves. Eira too, as she was seen as the spare. Her father put a stop to it all, Eirenthe letting the guilty off with scars so monstrous, no Ransa tears could improve it's appearance.

"Without my dragon, I would be nothing. I would be just another Malennis brat that would be married off to further another Great House's lineage. Now, I have the means and power to make a difference. You, Morvane, will need someone at your back when things go wrong. One day, you will be free of your family's sins." Eira did not have that power to do so for him, but she would put all her faith in the thought that one day, Thanasis would come to realise their comforts in dealing with punishment would one day change.

Eira just hoped she did not die changing her own world.

Cullen

• Cthuloo
Despite his composed exterior, the flicker of emotion in his eyes betrayed the complex emotions that churned beneath the surface as she called him by his full name, a name that had become more of a burden than a badge of honour. Still, he was supposed to be dragging it out of the dirt and proudly upholding it, and she didn't seem to be speaking it with any sort of malice intended which was something, unusual. His jaw tightened, but he refrained from commenting.

He let her finish without interruption, studying her and her words closely. He eyed the tome, and the bottle, his brow furrowing as she explained what she was doing here. He allowed a pregnant silence to fall between them, contemplating everything she'd said before a slow, wry smile tugged at the corner of Cullen's lips.

"You talk a lot. Anyone ever tell you that?" he remarked with a hint of dry humour, his tone carrying a subtle acknowledgment of the irony. In a world where he had grown accustomed to the weight of silence, Eira's openness and unabashed sharing of her convictions offered a novel contrast. Yet, beneath the teasing remark lingered a trace of genuine amusement, a recognition that perhaps, in her words, there was a bridge waiting to be built between their disparate worlds.

'Without my dragon, I would be nothing,' - The bond between a rider and their dragon was something Cullen understood intimately. It was a connection that surpassed the judgmental eyes of the world, a sanctuary in the midst of societal strife. The vulnerability in her admission touched a chord within him, a recognition of shared struggles and the desire for redemption.

"I don't know if I can trust you, Eira Malennis," Cullen finally admitted, his voice carrying the weight of caution that had become his shield over the years. His gaze met hers, intense and searching. "But your dedication to your dragon... it's something I understand." he sighed, and shrugged.

"Whatever. It's your reputation.." he held out a hand. She was right, after all, he had nothing to lose.

• Smug
"You talk a lot. Anyone ever tell you that?"

Eira's smile turned wickedly at the corners, "No." She was not one to talk as she had done, but she was sure in herself and her intentions of placing her ducks in a row. The way her family treated those that bonded with the Malennis Moon Dragons had taught her to be vigilant, and her father taught her to never trust a name.

A person was more than that.

And Eira knew she was more than just a Malennis.

Her hand went to take his offered, shaking it with that same smile on her lips.
"Do not fret, Morvane. I promise not to parade this alliance for all to see. I am not that naive." What those citizens would have seen in the market would be the most of it. Eira knew the sort of whispers that would make it back to the ears of her cousins, and until they were dealt with, she needed to tread carefully.

"You ever need anything from me, you go see my acquaintance, Faye Valimir. The glassblower that lives---"

"Lady Malennis."

Eira whipped round to see her lady's maid, Erina, waiting patiently. "Yes?"

"A letter came for you. Your recruit squadron has been called upon... so I suppose your associate is needed too." Erina knew who Cullen was.

Eira, turning back to lock eyes with Cullen, furrowed her brows. "We have the day off from training."

Cullen

• Thoughtful
Cullen's gaze met Eira's, his dark brown eyes holding a mixture of curiosity and guarded amusement. Her wicked smile elicited a subtle quirk of his brow, acknowledging the unspoken understanding that their alliance required discretion in the face of Thanasis's judgmental eyes.

As Eira took his offered hand, Cullen's grip was firm, a silent affirmation of the agreement forged in the shadows. A muscle feathered in his jaw however, and he cleared his throat. "Cullen. Just Cullen is fine." he gave a tight smile. He listened to her words, the promise not to parade their alliance resonating with the same caution that echoed in his own thoughts. Trust wasn't a luxury they could afford, not in a world where reputation clung to their names like a shroud.

The mention of Faye Valimir caught his attention, another name that he knew. He nodded in acknowledgment, committing the information to memory, though he was not one to ask anything of anyone, nor was he one to approach.

He instinctively took a step back as another woman approached them, leaving a couple of paces between himself and Eira. The subtle exchange between Eira and her lady's maid didn't escape his notice, the unspoken acknowledgment of his presence and the implications that came with it.

Eira's furrowed brows mirrored his own uncertainty as the woman delivered news of a letter. The mention of their recruit squadron being called upon brought a sense of urgency to the forefront. Cullen's mind flickered with the realisation that their alliance might be put to the test sooner than expected.

"We do have the day off," he replied, a tinge of wariness in his voice. "Seems like the powers that be have other plans. Guess we'll see how well our alliance holds up under scrutiny sooner than expected." he huffed in resignation.

• Smug
Eira did not let up her frown. She took the few steps to accept the letter and read the summons herself. "You can go." She dismissed the lady's maid, who gave a polite curtsy before disappearing where she had come from.

"You may be right." There was suspicion laced in her tone, her light brown eyes scrutinising the handlettering on the summons. "Why summon fresh cadets? There is no missive here..." Her father always got a morsel of information in his summons, and scouting did not need much prior information. "Take a look yourself."

She handed the letter to Cullen, eyes flicking to his face to watch him peruse the brief message.

Suppose this was trickery. Eira had only one guess as to who would dare attempt playing so unfairly with her. Indeed, if this were a ploy born from inner Malennis rivalry, it was best to keep Cullen separate from it. She could not broker an alliance with him, only to ask this of him.

Instead, she said this: "You go back to your residence and see if you too received a summons." It could buy her time to properly investigate whether this was true or ploy. Cullen Morvane was not the only one Eira had made an alliance with.

• Thoughtful
Cullen accepted the letter, his gaze following the intricate handlettering as he read the summons. The absence of crucial details raised his suspicions.

"It's vague," he commented, his voice a low murmur, eyes flicking from the letter to meet Eira's gaze. The subtle exchange of information within the Malennis house was beyond his understanding, but the lack of transparency was enough to make him uneasy.

Her suggestion to check his own residence for a summons struck a chord of prudence. Cullen knew that the intricacies of Thanasis's politics were a labyrinth of treachery, and the shadows of past rivalries could easily creep into the present. He nodded in agreement. "I'll do that."

As he turned to leave, he spared a glance back at her.. "Stay vigilant, Malennis." he warned, a shared understanding of the complexities and games that surrounded them. To be associated with him would bring her more trouble than she needed, the last thing he needed was more guilt.

Meala, with her golden scales shimmering in the light, awaited Cullen on the outskirts of the marketplace. She greeted him with a low, melodic rumble, her eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and vigilance. "Back to the Forge, Mea."

The dragon made swift work of it, and he couldn't help but notice how quiet things appeared around the Forge as they descended to land in the courtyard. The dragons lazed, and there was no training today - so why the summons, and why did no-one else seem to be answering to it? He passed other members of their squadron as he made his way to his rooms, but he found no summons here. Something wasn't right..

"Shit." he groaned as he grabbed his blade, and turned on his heels before rushing back to the courtyard and climbing into his saddle.

"Find Eira.." he instructed.

• Smug
Tyafainne met Eira as she got deeper within the Inner City, landing atop a flat flight pad that was used regularly by other riders. Cursing her dress, Eira did her best to tuck the long skirts under her legs as she sat in the saddle, glad that she had left her jacket strapped up here to shrug onto her form.

The summons had called for the her presence at the Plateau, an area north of Thanasis, and far from the breeding grounds of the Moon Dragons, and the ancestral home of House Malennis where Eira and her immediate family resided.

It took an hour for them to arrive at the summoned place, taking the time to circle around and be unseen. Her legs were freezing at this altitude, but they needed the advantage of being unseen by those Eira knew was responsible for dragging her out here for.

Tya rumbled, and Eira could see from her eyes that two dragons were waiting. One of them being a Tsonye dragon that belonged to a Malennis cousin. The other dragon was an Ēarendel, belonging to yet another cousin once Tyafainne got a better look. They had not spotted her yet, thankful for the natural abilities of a Moon Dragon.

"That is definitely Meeri and Fenton." She gritted her teeth. The true born twin cousins of her uncle, who had remarried and gave the name Malennis to his new wife's two sons. They were younger than Eira, but she was still regarded as the youngest Malennis due to being born into the House, unlike Bastion Malennis. Blood meant a lot in this treacherous family, and she knew this day some of it will be spilled.

"Land far from them. I will go on foot." The wind whipped ferociously around Tyafainne, and just as wild as they began their descent.

• Nervous
Meala understood her assignment. Wind whipped at Cullen's face as the dragon's sleek form sped through the skies. "The shit have I gotten us into..." he murmured to himself as finally, the site of Eira's summons came into view. Two dragons he did not recognise, and no sight of any others from their squadron.

An uneasy feeling settled in his gut as he landed Meala at a safe distance. Dark eyes scanned the surroundings, and a frown creased his forehead as he realized Eira's Dragon, Tyafainne, was riderless. The wind carried away his shout-whisper, "Eira?" Urgency painted his movements as he dismounted and gestured for Meala to stay put, before he ventured cautiously into the shadows, seeking any sign of the Malennis girl amidst the darkened Plateau.

• Popcorn
It was not the whisper of her name that brought her attention to Cullen's appearance, but the growl that echoed through her bond with Tyafainne. She had kept him out of this, kept him away from the blood thirst that ran through the veins of her cousins. There was no need to get anyone else involved in the jealousy of her House members.

So she did not turn back to greet him.

Eira dared every step towards Meeri and Fenton, who upon seeing the Chosen Heir striding up towards them, dismounted from their dragons and armed themselves. At her hip, almost lost in the long skirts of her dress, her sword waited to be freed from it's sheath.

"Smart move to lure me out away from home." She called out, competing with the winds. "And bold of you to assume the likes of you two would be able to lay a hand on me." Aeron Malennis was not oblivious to the dangers of their family members. He hired three different weapons masters to train his three children, giving them unique fighting styles that the other was not learned and aware of. Thanasis was no welcoming to foreign people, not from the continent, but her instructor heeded the call and traveled across the east of Malakath to teach the Malennis girl worthy of a Moon Dragon sword play unseen in Thanasis.

"This is a play for power, Little Eira." Meeri called out. She was a tall and waifish sort, not fit to be a fighter. Fenton was. He was all muscle and height, a brute force, but Eira's room had the perfect vantage point of the training courtyard at the Ancestral Home of Malennis.

"You are wasting such an opportunity, you know? You should have started with my father. Or Ilir. Whittle down the line until I know that I am next." She stopped where she was, Tyafainne moving out from the rocks slowly enough to be seen by the others. She did not turn back to see if Cullen would make his presence known or not, but Tyafainne would warn Meala to remain hidden for now.
Eira did not know the true nature of this summoning, but until she was sure of their intentions... she would not call upon his help. Gathering alliances was not new to her, but having to use them? To call upon their support? She was a young woman that grew up on being independent, to just rise up and not let anything make her falter. Eira was

"Did you not think I would have someone else with me? That I am not alone?"

"Afraid, are you?" Fenton crossed his arms.

She did not answer. Not when Tyafainne let out a hearty, screeching roar. Moon Dragons had a higher pitch than the other breeds of dragons, but this call was no less terrifying than the angriest of red dragons, no less powerful than that of a black dragon. No less menacing than that of the Ēarendels.

Cullen

• Nervous
As Cullen navigated through the dense foliage, the distant voices grew clearer, carrying with them an air of tension and conflict. He paused, hidden behind a cluster of boulders, torn between the impulse to intervene and the rationalisation that this wasn't his fight. Yet, the weight of his recent alliance with Eira tugged at his conscience, urging him to stand by her side in this moment of peril. Betrayal, especially within family, struck a raw nerve with him, stirring a sense of duty he couldn't ignore.

Running a hand wearily over his face, Cullen emerged from the shadows with a conflicted resolve. With a casual stride, he approached Eira. A subtle nod of acknowledgment passed between them, a silent affirmation of solidarity. Casting a disdainful glance towards Eira's relatives, his jaw clenched with a quiet fury, though he maintained a stoic silence, standing a few paces behind Eira, poised to act if the need arose. Inwardly, he grappled with the weight of his decision, questioning what he had gotten himself into.

• Smug
"Fuck me."

"A Marked One?!"

Meeri and Fenton reached for their weapons despite the great distance between them still. Eira wanted to frown that they saw Cullen's presence more a threat than her own, but in time, she will give them reason to fear her.

"I did not want you here." She said softly, only for Cullen to hear. Her brown eyes looked to him in her peripherals, brows furrowing deeply. "Our alliance is fresh, but I am both amazed and grateful to see you." When he had put up such a fight in worrying about her reputation for speaking with him. Now, they both stood against her cousins.

"Power play." Eira now called out to the winds, to the twins. "I am well versed in it, cousins. You made me so." Her uncle and two aunts, and their offputting offspring had given her grief ever since her dragon bonded with her. What should have been a childhood full of love and happiness had turned into lessons taught by her father and mother to rise above it all. It certainly helped that her closest friend had been Melisandre, who taught Eira treasured lessons.

"Consorting with traitors is your move? You could ruin the Malennis House!" Meeri seethed.

"Eira." Fenton stared her down. "We cannot let you do this. Do this to your father." He jerked his head towards Cullen and shook his head. "You will go down for this, Eira. Maybe we should have you Marked instead of killing you. An example of how poor of a choice your dragon made bonding with you."

The Malennis woman grinned, unfazed by their threats. She had heard many over the years, knew how to go about this to come out on top.

"Tell me now," She breathed, speaking to her allied comrade beside her, "are you afraid of striking down nobles?" Did he want to further implicate himself associating with her? "Because... I am here to send a message. One of them will die at my hands." There was so much anger within her, so much drive to consider the fate of her blood relatives.

Cullen

Cullen's expression remained impassive as Meeri and Fenton reacted with shock and disdain at his presence, their words dripping with venomous contempt. He couldn't help but feel a twinge of dark amusement at their accusations of consorting with a Marked One, their fear overshadowing their sense of reason.

Eira's soft words reached him and his chin dipped in acknowledgment of their newfound alliance. "I can't recall the last time anyone was grateful of my presence.." he muttered back with a snort.

As the confrontation escalated, Cullen listened to the siblings' threats with a steely resolve, his jaw tightening with suppressed anger. But it was Eira's calm defiance that caught his attention, her resilience in the face of their malice unwavering.

Despite the gravity of the situation, Cullen couldn't help but find irony in their accusations of betrayal, considering their own treacherous intentions, and there was no hiding his genuine amusement from his expression.

"You are literally in the process of betraying your own flesh and blood, you know that, right?" Cullen interjected, his tone tinged with sardonic disbelief.

He drew a breath, his gaze flickering towards Eira as she spoke of sending a message, her determination palpable. Cullen walked a very fine line, and the implications of harming a noble weighed heavily on him, his brow furrowing with the uncertainty.

"If... It's in defense of the heir of House Malennis..." he murmured quietly, his words tinged with apprehension. "I can't very well stand by and do nothing," he added with a half-smirk, a hint of resignation in his expression.

• Devil
Eira's lips twitched with wickedness.
"Fenton has a bad knee. Brittle thing. He will protect his left knee, so watch his stance. Make it hard for him to stand his ground and he should stumble." She offered, sparing him a glance. Her dark brown eyes offered no emotion, other than the spite she had for her own family.
"Meeri is hopeless, but she is fast. Ensure she does not get a lucky shot in." Her Ransa tears were reserved for her dragon if anything were to happen to Tyafainne.
"Scared, Little Eira?" The taunt came from Fenton, who began slowly swaggering forward. Meeri started to move too, looking to her twin with slight apprehension, as if none of this was truly her idea.

Eira stalked forward, her sandaled feet taking each step in measure. Her dress billowed, hiding the presence of her sword at her side. "You want to be heir so bad, Fenton? A Malennis heir is to bond with a Moon Dragon. An Ēarendel in our House means nothing if it is power that you crave."

Her left hand crossed her form, grasping the pommel to her sword and lifting it, catching her fingers around the hilt to draw from the scabbard. Gods, this dress was only getting in her way, but Eira's walk was powered with determination, eager to show her older cousins what it meant to be made heir. Cutt-throat. That was what she had been taught to be. Bloodlust and triumph, it was the emotions and intentions from Tyafainne spilling into the bond.

Malennis and bonded were not going to take this quietly.

Cullen had the advantage of having been taught how to fight by his father, and to have spent a decade on the wall learning from the very best infantry. He was confident in his own abilities, the concern was the consequence of his actions - he'd only just started to regain some semblance of glory, he'd bonded a dragon, he could claw his family name back out of the dirt. All he had to do was stay out of trouble, but trouble, it seemed, had a way of finding him.

He let out a quiet huff as Eira explained the twins' weaknesses, his dark eyes shifting between the pair, but they settled on Fenton with a hint of disdain. He followed the young Malennis' lead and drew both short swords.

"I don't think she's scared.." Cullen murmured in response to Fenton. "But I'm fuckin' terrified." he said with a mock wince. "Make it a quick death will you?.." he pled with a wink and a flourish of his blade, allowing him the first move.

• Devil
Meeri swore but followed her brother as they advanced.

Of course, Fenton moved towards Cullen, wanting the glory of striking down a Marked One, leaving Eira to swing her sword at Meeri, who clumsily deflected. She winced, desperately doing her best to meet with Eira's aggressive approach.

After they traded blows and deflections, Meeri had grown impatient and frustrated.

"Stop toying with me!" She screeched, going to strike, but Eira stepped aside and brought a swinging arc to batter steel against steel. In her shock, her cousin's grip released on the hilt, and the sword flew into the dirt. The Malennis heir was breathing hard, smiling as if a cat had played with a mouse and cornered them.

"Are you not going to get that?" She taunted, blood coursing with life as she flourished her sword to reset her stance.

As if from nowhere, a low snarl warmed them both, golden eyes fixated on the treacherous cousin. Tyafainne moved with the wind, creating a quiet she used to sneak up. When the Tsonye dragon roared and began to advance, Tyafainne, smaller in size, bared her teeth. Moon Dragons were known for their unique teeth structure, suitable for tearing and doing damage on the way out. Her threat was clear: she would either end the rider or go for the Tsonye's throat.

"No." Eira called out, using High Thanasian. "Save your Bite for the Ēarendel."

Meeri, ten years older than Eira, had not kept up her studies in the higher dialect, nor did Fenton. Eira knew this, knew more of her cousins than they knew of her.

If Cullen was not willing to make a killing strike, then Eira and her dragon would sort that out themselves.

Kill a dragon, a rider's chance of survival was minimal.

"Pick up your sword." Eira commanded through gritted teeth.

Fenton proved a trickier combatant, but Eira's intel on his knee was true. He compensated a lot, had held back or winced when he had to land or move significantly with it. Sloppy, the more pain became present, he too began to abandon his concentration. Almost ready to yield to his cousin and her lapdog.

Cullen's movements were fluid, his reflexes sharp as he parried and countered the young Malennis' predictable strikes. Fenton's desperation was evident, his attacks becoming sloppier with each passing moment as pain from his injured knee began to take its toll.

The Marked One had several opportunities to land a fatal blow, but he hesitated pulled back each time, his blade stopping just short of delivering the killing strike. "That's a kill," he muttered under his breath each time, taunting Fenton with the realisation of his vulnerability. The noble's frustration boiled over, his attacks becoming more frenzied as he aimed to overwhelm Cullen.

Steel clashed, the sound reverberating through the tense air as their swords met with resounding force. Cullen's hesitation to kill the man, however, cost him blood as Fenton capitalised on a momentary pause, slashing across his bicep with a vicious strike. Cullen cursed vehemently, the pain searing through him as he gritted his teeth and fought on.

But he wasn't about to let Fenton have the upper hand. Doubling down on his resolve, Cullen aimed a hard boot into the noble's weak leg, causing him to drop to a knee with a grunt of pain. The temptation to end it there, to deliver the final blow, surged within him, but a glance towards Eira gave him pause.

Instead, he brought the pommel of his blade down on the side of Fenton's head with a swift, decisive strike. The noble's body crumpled to the ground, his form sprawled in the dirt as he started to crawl away in a feeble attempt to escape. But Cullen's boot pressed down on his back, halting his futile retreat with a firm, unyielding pressure.

Dark eyes shifted to Eira, awaiting her decision on her cousin's fate.

• Dwarf
Meeri's gaze flicked between her cousin and her brother. She knew they were at an disadvantage, had figured Eira was smarter than the family had thought of at first.
"Eira... let us go and I will make sure not a word of this is uttered. Please." The older girl pleaded.
The Chosen Heir stared her down, not yet breaking her eye contact. "Your word alone does not satisfy me." Dark eyes, almost black, pinned Meeri where she stood.
Hearing Fenton wheeze pulled her focus, her impassive and dark face now taking in the picture of Cullen standing above, triumphant in his scuffle with the Malennis male. "Make another play for power, and I will gladly give you a lesson in the consequences." Eira shared a smile with Cullen. "Pity, when a son becomes a puppet for their scheming fath---"
"Meeri..." Fenton wheezed, and in that same moment, Meeri closed the distance between herself and her kin, a glint of steel seen before embedded into the side of Eira.

Tyafainne's pitched screech blew steam all over them, and the rampaging moon dragon made a move towards the other dragons. The Ēarendel dragon abandoned the plateau, taking to the whipping winds and vanishing, but the Tsonye was unaware of how quickly Tya moved, unable to keep track as the light played against the scales of the moon dragon.

Teeth sank past the hardened scales at the neck of the other dragon, Tyafainne's head shaking to drive her teeth deeper and coating her maw in dripping blood. Meeri screamed, falling before Eira who simply stared the leather bound hilt of the dagger that stuck from her.

Slow hands lifted, as if she would pull the weapon out.. but it did not hurt. At least, not yet. Tyafainne's malice ran rampant, clouding her thoughts. The moon dragon tore her head away and sliced lines from the dragon's neck, blood pouring fast as it's rider writhed on the ground.

"MEERI!" Fenton coughed, unable to move, to reach his twin.

"I always wondered..." Eira was breathless, "what it looked like for a dragon to die. What would happen to their bonded? If the stories were true..." If Meeri was strong enough to live through it. Dazed, Eira's feet began to feel as if they were moving, that she was falling and lifted onto a cloud. Pinpricks began to wash over her middle, and she glanced down to see blood seep through her dress. "But what of a rider? What would happen to their dragon?"

• Scared
Cullen's heart hammered in his chest as chaos erupted around him. Meeri's sudden attack had caught him off guard, and the sudden glint of steel sent a wave of panic coursing through him. "No!" he called out, but it was too late, and he paled at the sight of the blade plunging into Eira's side.

"Fuck," he muttered under his breath, his muscles tensing as he prepared to retaliate against Meeri. But before he could make a move, the scene shifted in an instant as Tyafainne's rage consumed the plateau. The deafening screech of the moon dragon filled the air, drowning out Meeri's screams as she fell before Eira.

In that moment of chaos, Cullen's priorities shifted. Eira's safety was paramount, and he knew that if she died, he would likely meet the same fate. With a sense of urgency, he ran towards her, his instincts kicking in as he reached her side.

Without hesitation, he pressed a hand against the wound in her side, feeling the warmth of her blood beneath his palm. His other arm wrapped around the small of her back, steadying her as he assessed the severity of her injury.

"You don't need to worry about that right now," he said firmly, his voice tinged with urgency. "We need to get you to a healer." Despite the chaos unfolding around them, his focus remained solely on Eira, his determination to keep her safe unwavering despite the river of shit he was about to find himself in.

• Devil
As soon as Cullen was at her side and pressing against the wound, Eira gritted her teeth and sucked in a pained breath. Shock traveled through her body, rendering her knees incapable of keeping her upright and having to fall against her ally.

"Fa...ye... Valimir..." She winced. "We can trust her discretion." And her home and workshop was in the Outer City.

She lifted her head, watching as Fenton stared after his sister, who cried and lamented for a quick death. Tyafainne had withdrawn, and kept her eyes to the skies for the other dragon.

"Speak of this, Fenton, and I will have a knife to your throat." The threat did not need to be aided by emotion, not when Tyafainne rumbled darkly, blood coating her maw and neck that could not be hidden by her scales.

Eira winced again, looking up at Cullen. "You know the glassblower, Valimir? She is a healer for the Thunder of Thanasis... but she owes me a favour. She will not speak of this. You have my word."

• Nervous