Fable - Ask Fumbles and Foibles

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Kristen Pirian

Pirian's Chosen
Character Biography
Link
What was she doing? Huh? She was doing what everyone else was doing, just going to class.

Don't you have a garden to look after? Some field to tend?

Mild confusion. "What? No."

I assume like the rest of your family you have some...plowing to attend?

Though Kristen didn't know overly much of Liliana (certainly not enough to have formed an opinion of her, apparently), Edric had referred to her as a...rather coarse word. Kristen was wary of trusting Edric's opinion on anything these days, but it seemed in this case he was close to the truth.

The confusion slipped away, like a sheath falling away from a kitchen knife, and something more barbed came out. Something Kristen would have not dared give voice to a year ago—the very thought would have failed to present itself to her to be said.

"Hm," Kristen said, "I seem to have forgotten what Lorels are famed for. Other than staggering mediocrity."

Liliana

• Devil
Reactions: Liliana

Liliana

House Lorel
Character Biography
Link
Liliana let out a laugh. "Ah yes, the mediocrity of two Archons."

She smiled, a wicked little smile.

Kristen was right of course. House Lorel was a minor house, and in truth compared to Pirian they were almost insignificant. They were still a client to Virak, though Liliana had never much seen a difference in it. Especially now that Cousin Elise was the only one left.

What Lorel did have going for it was the prestige of it's Dreadlords.

The family had produced a dozen powerful sorcerer's over the last three hundred years. Two of them going on to become Archons. Isbrand was the latest one, though he too now lay in an early grave thanks to the Revolution.

"It's refreshing to see you try to bite back, Kristen." Liliana continued. "Much better than the meek little mouse that had been running around here."

That witchy little smile remained. "Maybe you'll be something after all."

• Orc
Reactions: Kristen Pirian

Kristen Pirian

Pirian's Chosen
Character Biography
Link
Kristen wanted to extricate herself from the little confrontation. She wanted to be off to Proctor Fernando's class and then to the free period after such that she could continue trying to delve into the mysteries of curses, and how she might be able to unlock their power and satisfy Proctor Magomo's assignment. She was so close! She didn't have time for this! Liliana had within only the span of a few seconds proven herself to be needlessly belligerent at best, maliciously scathing at worst. Did she really have time for this, with Proctor Magomo's deadline looming? Did she really have time to endure Liliana, to stand here as her blood boiled—

Wait.

As her blood boiled. With...anger...loathing...indignance. Crisp tastes of those negative emotions she needed to channel! Emotions which before had so rarely skittered across her heart with their spindly, pointed legs. Mayhap...trading a few barbs with Liliana could be just the inspiration she required! Divine Magic Cake!

"Have you taken any flowers to Archon Isbrand's grave?" Kristen asked. "It's the least you could do. They could keep him company in the dirt, along with the rest of House Lorel's most laudable claims."

Liliana

Liliana

House Lorel
Character Biography
Link
A spike of utter hatred radiated through LIliana’s chest. Anger and seething rage that never for a moment touched her face. Instead her features remained all smiles and joy, a radiant glow of attention as though Kristen had just bade her the kindest of compliments.

She had loved her Uncle.

To many he’d been a monster, but to her? He had been a guidestone. One of the few people who had actually cared about her, not just seen her as another tool for House Lorel. Perhaps because his own life had been much the same.

For a moment she considered turning Kristen into a blubbering little moron that could barely speak. A weaving lashed in the right place would have her drooling on her tabard, needing care for the rest of her life.

It would have been so very satisfying, seeing the Pirian turned into a gibbering moron.

But the price was too high. More than a few Proctors would instantly know what had happened, and the fallout would be utterly colossal. Better to just pick the little noble apart. ”Oh I wish I could.”

She made a face, as if in true despair.

”Unfortunately your sister has been buying them all up for her upcoming wedding.” Liliana sighed. ”Bought out every shop in Vel Anir. What with it being Prince Lynus and all.”

Liliana knew that Kristen had not yet heard. The news had barely been disseminated, and she had only learned of it from her Cousin Elise. A woman who seemed to know every tick of gossip in the city. ”She did tell you about it, right?”

She asked innocently, as if she noticed Kristen looked surprised.

Kristen Pirian

Pirian's Chosen
Character Biography
Link
Disarmed.

There was no better word for how Kristen's face, whatever resolute expression she had been able to muster upon it, simply deteriorated into one of unfiltered surprise. Surprise became bewilderment. And bewilderment became disbelief.

Prince...Lynus? Him? That prince? The very same from the Anireth Royal Family? Wha...no. N-No! It couldn't be happening, of course not, because if it were there would have been a tremendous fanfare about it. Alliance of Houses or no Alliance, Republic or no Republic, the Royal Family was still the Royal Family. And if Amelia, her dear sister Amelia, was the one to whom Prince Lynus would be betrothed, then two people out of everyone in Vel Anir would have been the first to know: their mother Josephine, and Kristen herself.

"S-Surely you jest." Then, gathering a touch of mettle. "You do jest, Liliana Lorel! I've spoken on something dear to you and you have conjured a fabrication to strike at something equally dear to me! 'Tis a fanciful falsehood and nothing more!"

Liliana

• Smug

Liliana

House Lorel
Character Biography
Link
Liliana lavished within sweet, sweet victory.

Kristen broke, faltering long enough for the young Lorel to capitalize. She practically beamed with joy, reveling in the panic which flickered through her fellow Nobles face. If ever Liliana Lorel had been giddy, it was right in that moment. "No of course not, Kristen!"

She said, sounding genuinely aghast at the accusation.

"I assure you I am being utterly truthful." Her smile turned upside down, as though she were quite distressed Kristen had not yet heard. "Why would you think I would do that?"

Liliana asked. "It must be a mistake."

The Noble continued.

"I am sure you'll be invited." That smile flickered over her face again. "It is your Sister, after all."

Liliana paused a moment, then added. "But it is the Prince..."

Suddenly her fingers flickered, just slightly, ever so slightly. A touch of doubt casting as a net, drawing against Kristen's mind. So subtle it was little less than a breeze.

• Stressed

Kristen Pirian

Pirian's Chosen
Character Biography
Link
No, Liliana was wrong. She wouldn't be invited. Kristen had felt convinced, utterly convinced, that Liliana had been making it all up. Yet now there was a crack in that conviction. A fundamental crack. Amelia had not been particularly forthcoming in her more recent correspondences, not as much as she had been while she was away. Gods...her hand was available for marriage, so was the Prince's, both House Pirian and the Royal Family were surely keen on seeing their respective daughter and son married before long. And wasn't the Prince a notorious recluse, quite secretive in this way? Hadn't Amelia been upset that Kristen enrolled into the Academy?

Thus the weave did its work.

And genuine resentment began to build.

A hand smothered one side of Kristen's face, her palm dragging down slowly from her forehead to her cheek. "This is...unthinkable!" she said, more aloud to herself than to Liliana specifically. Her voice was quiet, a touch breathless. "Does my own sister, my very own sister, not trust me to keep so momentous and sensitive a secret in confidence??"

Half seemingly remembering that Liliana was still there, half in a strange way looking to the blonde girl for some manner of guidance, Kristen glanced back up at her and met her eyes.

Confused, lost, hurt.

Liliana

• Devil

Liliana

House Lorel
Character Biography
Link
Liliana's face was a painted mask of sympathy. Like carved by the great artist Raphine himself she swept forward and place a gentle caring hand on the other noble's shoulder. "There there, my dear Kristen."

Her words were that of the serpent whispering to Lyeve.

The quiet murmur of Lucanyel tempting Kress within the desert.

A melodic honey that could soothe all aches. A balm that touched upon wounds of the soul. The way Liliana spoke was enough to make one forget of the barbs on her tongue. The viper that had bit down into flesh over and over again.

"It's not you." She said quietly. "It's this place."

Her words were nothing less than the utmost sympathy. "They foisted you here. Thrown you to the wolves. Forgotten about you."

Genuine, almost empathetic despair flickered through her tone. "Not a Pirian...not a precious sister to be loved..."

She said quietly, another gentle twitch of her finger. "Just another common...Initiate."

• Cthulhoo rage

Kristen Pirian

Pirian's Chosen
Character Biography
Link
Not a Pirian.

Those three words seemed to break the pall of hurt and doubt. A single ray of clarity speared through overcast skies, and a few more broke through when Liliana suggested that she was just another common Initiate. Still, though the second attempt to manipulate Kristen had been resisted, a hard denial of those words—Not a Pirian—coalescing into a kind of united aegis, damage from the first had been done, and this yet remained despite what she would go on to do and say.

Kristen roughly shoved off the arm she'd allowed to be draped over her shoulder, and she gave Liliana a cross look.

"I know not what grievance or circumstance has kept my sister from telling me of this news, but I am a Pirian. I shall always be a Pirian!"
She said adamantly. "Mayhap your own House of Lorel is a den of serpents, but House Pirian always in the end rises above such pettiness. We are the best of Vel Anir."

She took a step, then added, "I will send you a flower for your perished uncle—the traitorous cur."

And Kristen began to stomp off down the hallway.

Liliana

• Smug

Liliana

House Lorel
Character Biography
Link
As Kristen went stomping down the hall she would hear something following behind her.

A melodious laughter.

Resounding and echoing, sticking to the mind even in the midst of night.

• Nervous