Fate - First Reply Back to the Beginning…

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Joseph Meier

High Lord of the Winter Court
Character Biography
Link
Death was all that mattered anymore.

Arguably one of the most powerful fae ever to walk Arethil sat blankly inside a bar, surrounded by a small phalanx of bottles. Whiskey, mycowine, beer, it didnt much matter as long as it kept hitting his system and keeping her from resurfacing in his memories. Gone. All of it gone.

Vanished.

Joseph Meier was a man for whom life was a never ending latrine pit. He had been a human man once, a lifetime ago, carrying around stolen magic. Now, almost twenty years later he was a fae. The woman who had turned him fae was gone. His family was gone. His children were either dead or living lives of their own. Her life entering his had been a swirl of chaos. In the midst of it…love. He’d loved her so deeply and terribly he’d forgotten what it felt like to hate himself.

With her gone, he was alone. Alone to drink in random bars and piss the fortune she’d left him away. He pretended it was to numb the pain from his twisted left leg kept straight by a steel brace. Joseph was a brag, a shapeshifter, an unholy union of black shuck and boggart. No form was forbidden to him. He could be anything he pleased.

But the form he chose most often was what he looked like before he had become fae. Before she had smoothed out his features and sharpened his ears, and made him prettier. He had large eyes with bruised lids, large ears, and distinctive cheekbones that accentuated his gaunt face. Even without his bad leg he wasn’t tall, just under five feet.

“You’re going to drink yourself to death if you keep ordering in bottles.” The bartender chided, coming to take down his walls of brown glass.

Joseph sighed. “Another bottle of the mulberry wine.” He muttered.

“Wine? What, no more whiskey?”

“It reminds me of her.” Joseph replied. Once he might have shot venom at the man. Once he might have broken his face in and taken the liquor. That infamous temper lay numbly in the bottom of his gut.

A low tune followed in a black cloaked form as it slipped through the entrance of the bar. It's first notes seemed melancholy, almost as if it were a dirge, though an occasional rise in its tone would add a hopeful gleam to it. Humming this tune walked what seemed to be an elf with golden eyes which cast their gaze over every corner, seeming to search for a threat that wasn't there.

"A whiskey please,"
the newcomer requested, one hand moving up to smooth his long black hair, ruffled by the outside winds, and revealing a single stripe of white as he did so. His other hand did the real work that caught the bartender's reaction as it plucked a silver coin from a pocket of his billowing cloak. Silent as a cat step, the man slipped into a chair next to the drunkard, hazarding a curious glance in the man's direction. It was a familiar sight to him, one he had seen from himself not too long ago. One that he might repeat if a day came where he found himself not pursuing his purpose.

"Take it from me friend, the memories drown better under one spirit. Whiskey, wine, and beer may not succeed in killing you, but the next morning you may very well wish it had." There was a small jovialness in his voice, one however that came from an understanding. He wouldn't pretend to know the pain of a stranger, he did however, no the desire to escape it. As his whiskey arrived, he took a long sip form the glass then tapped the table, indicating another pour.

Joseph Meier

Joseph ignored the stranger as he swept into the bar, and took the bottle the bartender plunked down in front of him. He pulled the cork with the practiced hand of a man who’d done so thousands of times, and set the wine aside to let it breathe for a few minutes. He wasn’t an animal. He reached over the counter and fished around for a glass, prompting an angry noise from the bartender.

“Joseph! The hell did I tell you about reaching behind my bar? Stop pawing the glasses! I’ll get to you in a moment.” The man snapped.

Joseph ignored him. Ah, there were the wine glasses. All the way in the back wall hanging from a rack. His arm extended outward, shifting to become black and spider like. Long clawed fingers delicately grasped a wine glass, and were human by the time they crossed the bar again.

The stranger warned him of a hangover. Joseph’s eyes met his. They were large and brown, and had once been gentle. They were hard with a life of difficulty and suffering now, as unforgiving as the bar they leaned on.

“I don’t get hangovers.”

He poured the wine, and set the glass aside to breathe.

“Tab, Joseph.” The bartender said with a sigh. Joseph reached into his pocket and set down a large bag of gold. Clearly, he wasn’t wanting in that department.

“Fuck it, I’ll get his too.” Joseph nodded toward the man next to him.

Vulpesen

A bemused smile graced the stranger's lips as he watched the drunk fumble about despite the bartender's protest. The shapeshifting however, would cause his expression to shift to something far more akin to surprise, though he wouldn't go so far as to openly gawk. His wide-eyed expression would give Joseph ample opportunity to note the gleaming gold that seemed to hold just the faintest glow as if restrained by some thin veneer.

"Thats quite the gift. Can't say I wouldn't mind it myself,"
he offered, only to find himself further ingratiated to this apparent regular as he found his own coin unneeded. The silver he'd produced earlier dropped back into his sleeve to be used later as he reached out to accept the simple glass that the bartender would bring him. "Much ob-" even as he spoke, a sudden ringing in his head sent the hair on his nape upright and his shining eyes momentarily took a wary look. "Much appreciated, Mr. Joseph." the apparent elf finally finished, his mirthful expression returning. "Vulpesen Torrevaso."

Joseph Meier

Joseph gave Vulpesen a look. That stumbling over the word oblige. Oblige…such a common word that was often misunderstood as a simple thank you. Instead it was a promise, a bind to action. If Vulpesen was stumbling over such a word… he eyed him a little closer. Gold eyes. He’d seen gold eyes on one other and that had been Aluicious Rosebury. He straightened up a little more, and picked up his wine glass.

“Lord Joseph Meier.” He returned the introduction. “I caught that little slip, youre either fae or a warlock to one… which begs the question of what the hell you’re doing in this dive.”

Cautiously, he sipped his wine and poured another glass. He had to be careful around Fae. He had a history with them. Fae couldn’t be trusted, and Joseph had made a lot of enemies. He had killed a lot of the Sluagh, he had caused trouble in the Winter and Summer courts. He wasn’t sure where Vulpesen had hailed from, but anyone not human was suspicious.

Vulpesen

"I'm enjoying a drink with a fae it seems," he countered with a lopsided smirk, soon hidden by his glass and its amber contents. "A warlock. I'm afraid my powers come from my master who was the one who so dutifully reminded me that my debts are not always mine to owe." Casting a surreptitious glance of the bar, Vulpesen did a quick check to ensure that none were paying too keen of attentions to pair. He feared little if anything from the general public knowing his nature, but he wasn't so sure of his company and it was always best to be considerate of such things.

"So, with me being a simple mortal, enjoying the bit of off time I have from the duties of my lord, the question remains," his gaze moved from his surroundings to the fae before him. "What brings you to such a place, Lord Meier?" While not the sort to push a man who had shown him the kindness of a free drink, the warlock couldn't deny the curiosity that welled up within himself at the revelation of Joseph's nature.

Joseph Meier

Joseph followed Vulpesen’s gaze around. “I couldn’t give a damn about these people knowing. You know.” He gestured at the bartender, who smirked wryly at Vulpesen.

“High Lord Joseph Amsel-Meier, Of Curling Leaves and Dying Branches, He Who Flows Like Water, the Everchanging.” The bartender recited, with less mockery in his voice than Joseph expected. Joseph lifted his glass to him, and then filled it.

“I figure whatever dipshit is in here, warlock or no, I could twist his head around his asshole and use him for a wagon wheel if I get too angry.” Joseph muttered. “As for what brings me here, I conspire to murder a Queen. Or at least get her to abdicate the Winter throne. Other than that, forgetting about my wife.”

The bartender sighed. “Won’t do you any good talking about that in here.” He said sharply. He wanted Joseph to drop the subject of his crusade. Joseph, in true fashion, didn’t feel so inclined. He glared at the bartender briefly.

Vulpesen

Vulpesen's body relaxed as the fae opened up them up to the rest of the room. "Quite the title." Perhaps it might have been right to introduce himself with his own, but such flowery names were from a life apart from where he was now. "And here's to hoping that my head remains untwisted as I rather prefer its current distance from my asshole." He lifted his drink for a moment before taking a long sip, draining most of the glass to enjoy the delicious burn of its contents.

Thankfully, he managed to finish swallowing before Joseph admitted to his conspiracy, else the warlock's sputtering would have likely proved quite painful for his sinuses. "Quite the ambition. Especially when political power among your kind oft comes with some more literal manifestations of power." Motioning to his glass, Vulpesen waited until the bartender came over before reaching out to take the bottle for himself. Of course, he wasn't so opportunistic as to put it on Joseph's purse, and thus he fished out the coin from his cloak, passing it over with one hand while the other filled his glass. "I think your friend with the drinks might be right. Speaking in public like that can end your revolution long before it begins."

Joseph Meier

Joseph nodded in satisfaction. So they were in agreement as far as the warlock’s head being better off outside of his rectum. He downed another glass and huffed a bit at Vulpesen’s proclamation. “She’s corrupt, lazy, and doesnt seem to care about the Courts. They’re fragmenting before our very eyes. A hundred new factions are popping up, and soon she’s going to fade into the background. Like it or not the fae either learn to live with one another or we’ll start tearing each other to pieces over acre-wide city states. Since Mab doesn’t seem to give a damn, and she’s killed my wife and everyone I care about, seems a good reason as any to cast her apathetic ass into the leys.”

He set down a few more coins in front of Vulpesen. “And I could use some allies.” He said. “I am the only one of my kind. I will be the only one ever. There are no other brags. And I have enough power to stand against her.”

Vulpesen

Joseph's complaints didn't fall on deaf ears and Vulpesen's eyes narrowed as he peered into his glass. H'ed lived a hundred years fighting wars to stop such rulers from ruining the lives of those they ruled. Still, he was not but a minnow in this new great lake. His relative insignificance however, did little to repress the burning anger that threatened to well up at the idea of such a loss.

Beneath his glamour, a pointed ear flicked towards the clink of coin and his eyes moved briefly to it. Simple kindness? Or a bribe. With the fae, there was often little to no difference. "You certainly will need them. My master and his brothers however have been rather absent from the greater politics of the courts. While I believe they intend to make an entrance soon, I'm not sure a civil war is what they have in mind."

We know the one of whom he speaks. She is not quite as old as us, but she's been a queen for around half of your race's entire existence. Not an enemy you are presently prepared to make.

"The question is, when you stand against her, what will you stand for when she is gone?" he asked. While Vulpesen was likely to heed his master's telepathic warning, his curiosity demanded satisfaction.

Joseph Meier

“Getting rid of a spoiled tyrant playing games with people’s lives isnt a civil war. It’s taking out one rotten apple before the rest of the barrel spoils.” Joseph muttered, fingering the rim of his glass and setting the wine aside. He’d lost his taste for it, and the bartender sensed where the wind was blowing. He poured him a few more fingers of whiskey.

Joseph considered Vulpesen’s question. “I have nothing. My family is gone, and my human family aged until I buried all of them. Even their grandchildren barely remember me. The fae took all of that. They took away my right to die in peace. I see them ruining more lives every day. I want justice, and I’ll stand for the ones the fae bully and mistreat. There needs to be someone who cares about their own people.” He said quietly. “About the rape and murder the fae barrel down without any repercussions. At least the humans have guards, judges and jails. A fae will burn down a human village for a laugh.”

Vulpesen

"Its civil war if said tyrant resists with military might." He lifted his glass up, taking a long sip before continuing. "Not to say you wouldn't be justified." The warlock was no stranger to loss. His family lived, that was true enough, but his brothers who he had fought beside, joked with, eaten with, lived with from day to day... they were all gone. More than that, he understood the desire for a revenge. It was the same desire that had sent him on the path to the fae.

"I suppose that's why my master is making his return. You're right. humans do need protection. The fae need accountability. But chaos may exacerbate the situation. Remove Mab and her successor takes her place, now quite angry at the death of their predecessor."
Vulpesen's eyes fell down as he spoke. How many lectures had he sat through? The theory of collapsing governments was fit for an agent of the alliance, not a soldier. He'd been so close and moments like this were just a reminder of what his life could have been. His grip on the glass tightened as he continued, bearing through the revelation at all that wasted time. "If you take control, how will you transition the power? What of those who loved the tyrant? What if those are the majority?"

Finally, Vulpesen simply raised his glass and drained it. It burned like fire going down, and he found himself suppressing a cough as the glass clinked back against the bar. Blinking away, the pain, he continued once more. "I'm not telling you what you should or shouldn't do. I'm just trying to make you think before you do it. For a time, I was in the business of collapsing tyrannies. Was almost in the business of doing it personally. It can get tricky."

Joseph Meier