Open Chronicles A Wizard Wanted for Murder [Elbion]

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Kara Orin

Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
Ten days ago, a teenage boy named Artor Wiscard was found murdered in his family’s estate. The body’s face was mutilated beyond recognition and was only identified via the rings the boy wore and a distinctive birthmark on his left arm. News of the gruesome murder spread throughout the city. While such murders would normally be forgotten with enough time, this one would not.

Artor Wiscard was the firstborn son to Roland Wiscard, and thus heir to Merchant House Wiscard. One of the eleven families a part of the Merchant’s Council that rules the City of Elbion.

In the morning of this day, a group of twelve armed City Guards and a City Official appeared before the College of Elbion’s gates. They did not attempt to pass the open threshold into the academy. By law, the College of Elbion maintained legal autonomy from the City of Elbion even though it was completely surrounded by the City. For the armed guards to enter the College uninvited, they would violate the independence promised to the mages.

Several mages in the courtyard just beyond the gates saw the guards and official. One of them, Kara, stopped to watch the official pull out a scroll.

Reading from the parchment, the official bellowed, “The City charges Thestor Hudd with the crime of murdering Artor Wiscard! The City requests the College to surrender Hudd so that he may be tried and allow investigators to examine evidence of the crime Hudd may hold in his private quarters! The City expects a response by sundown!

And every few minutes, the official would repeat until someone in a position of influence within the College spoke to him.

Many students knew Thestor Hudd as an amiable professor of College Magic in his sixties. He had been with the college since a young teen. In addition, he served on the Foard of Maesters…

A half-elven man and two gargoyles walked/limped up towards the gate. The two gargoyles stood there silently and unmoving as Nayden examined the guards and he didn’t look too pleased, “Good sir, stop repeatting everything on that paper every few minutes in a place of learning and study?” He asks the offical who had provided a distraction to the students within his class who were taking a test. One which he had to stop, collect all the papers and hand them to a gargoyle as he left to investigate the matter giving his students a few minute break in the process. “My, how could I be so rude. My name is Nayden Kiers and I am a Professor of the Third Circle within the College.” He introducing himself giving a slight bow.

Nayden had heard and met Hudd a few times before, he was a wise old chap. But to think that he would murder a young person such as Artor did not cross Nayden’s mind. “If you don’t mind my asking, what presidencies do you have to charge Professor Hud with this accusation and charge?” He asks the guards and officials. Knowing that judging by rumors, it happened this morning. How could they just come to their very door step and accuse one of their own without stating their evidence that already had?

Not to mention, some found magic as a profanity that should be erased from the world.

Though the College of Elbion and Vel Anir'd Dreadlords had often been at odds with one another, the two great cities themselves had long been partners in trade and diplomacy.

This was why Elise was in the city on the day of Artor Wiscards murder.

The Merchant Family of Wiscard and House Virak had trade partners for as long as anyone could remember. Wiscard supplied Virak with various food and cloth items while the latter offered ore and military support when it was necessary. The relationship was as long standing as any House Virak had, and Elise had come to Elbion for a simple meeting of pleasantries and assurances.

Of course, now that Artor had been killed Elise had no choice but to further involve herself. That was what friends were for. "There there my darling."

Elise said as she gently patted the hand of Bella Wiscard, the mother of young Artor.

"It will all be okay. The city guard will get to the bottom of this." The woman's wailing was as grating as could be, but Elise would suffer through it. There was an advantage to being here in this moment, and she would fully take the advantage. "Why don't you let me speak with them? I'm sure you and Roland have enough to deal with."

The woman continued to sob, but slowly nodded her head.

"Yes, yes I think that would be for the best. Thank you Elise."

The baroness offered a smile. "Don't you worry, Bella. I'll have a word with the Guard on their progress."

The City Official, a blonde haired middle aged human man just a couple inches taller than Nayden, took a glance at one of the gargoyles and gave a quick, small sneer. He would note if Nayden or the gargoyles took a step outside the College.

Rumors of the gargoyles have spread through the city. Since they were used outside the College at least a few times, the Merchant Council developed an interest in whether they should be tolerated.

Looking at Nayden, the Official asked him, “Nayden Kiers, are you to represent the College in this matter?

If Nayden gave confirmation, the Official would offer the City’s written order to Nayden – the tip of the parchment just barely breaking the threshold of the College.

Regardless of Nayden’s answer, the Official told him, “In the last ten days, the City has collected evidence of Thestor Hudd’s guilt. We have eyewitness testimony of his presence at the Wiscard Mansion at the time of the murder and confirmation from the Council’s Mage that magic was involved in the murder.

This information would be written on the note with some more details.

The City expects full cooperation from the College, as it has done so before in matters of murder,” the Official concluded.

In several instances in the past, the College had turned over accused murderers to the City. They were all cases of a young, inexperienced student recklessly using their magic within the city with deadly results. This would be the first publicly written instance of a member of the Foard of Maesters being the subject of an extradition request.

Meanwhile, word of the Merchant’s Council meeting again about the murder spread through the waking streets. The Doge’s Palace would be where one could find investigators and the Council’s Mage.

Following the offical’s gave to his gargoyles he’d laugh, “Oh don’t mind my two followers, they’re here to protect me from breaking my bones, weather from an attack or an accident. Sort of the condition I have.”

Nayden takes the parchment and reads through it with incredible speed, “And tell me, were those witnesses all within the employment of the House of Wiscard? And just because magic was involved, that doesn’t mean its just the College was maybe involved? Maybe another mage who is not from here could’ve been involved?” He asks, “And why didn’t you make an appointment? It would’ve saved all of us time if there was one.”

He did plan on offering full support to the City but for someones such as Professor Hudd he would and could not fathom him harming a boy. He respected them but when they pulled stuff like this, they should know it really grinded his gears. He’d wait for their answers, “Oh and one more thing,”

He lifts a finger before allowing them onto the campus and showing them Professor Hudd’s room, “The other Circles are going to be very interested in this whole thing, so hopefully you don’t mind my assistance in this matter.” He tells the officials and guards, “Don’t worry about me breaking shit or messing with it. I break enough of my own bones as it is.” He gives a slight smile and a wink. “It might help if you had someone who known Professor Hudd’s magic along for the ride also.” He hands the parchment to the test holding gargoyle before limping away to showing them to Professor Hudd’s room telling the students who gathered to get back to their tasks.

Upon his awakening, the Wight Knight found himself traversing across the unfamiliar sea of sand between his buried home and the city of Elbion. Where the land was once green and flourishing and adorned with the faces of those who wished him well, there was now only dust. There were no large castles decorated in sparkling banners. There were no forests of wonder and curiosity. Upon his awakening, the Wight Knight's confusion quickly crumbled into anger and emptiness.

Eventually, he'd made his way to the Seret Mountains and at long last there was some hint of familiarity in his travels. In what must have been two weeks, the Wight Knight discovered he no longer needed food or water to sustain his lack of life. As his horse struggled to deliver them to the other side of the mountain range, the Wight Knight wondered if he still had the right of death.

In his month of travelling, the first sign of life came from a small village along the Cairou River. The Wight Knight did not recognize this village or its name and the people seemed horrified by his menacing silhouette, but through the gift of his intimidating stature, a man had told him of Elbion, the city of wealth and magic.

Magic.

Wherever magic is practiced, curses were sure to follow.

And with that knowledge, the Wight Knight knew, or at least hoped, that this College of Elbion the scared man spoke so briefly of was sure to direct him to the path of his much needed answers. Or perhaps his revenge.

As he looked upon the city of Elbion with his masked eyes, he felt nothing but disappointment. In the back of his mind, he had hoped the city would remind him of his home. That it would assure him that he hadn't been asleep for too long. Instead he was met with rows of buildings stacked higher and higher, leading to the point of interest, to the College of Elbion.

It was a magnificent building, there was no doubt in that, yet such strange architecture left distaste in the Wight Knight's mouth. Nonetheless, he swallowed his frustrations and motioned for his horse to head for the college.

If there were any stares directed at his helmeted form, he not only paid them no mind, but failed to recognize them at all. He was focused instead on the gossip flowing from the mouth of one man to another until it was obvious that Elbion was in a crisis of its own.

"Did you hear about the boy? The one from the college?"

"Yes. Horrible. Truly horrible."

"He was so young and had so much ahead of him. Wiscard seemed promising."

"I heard it was the work of Thestor Hudd. Who would have thought?"

"I refuse to believe Hudd murdered that boy. There's no way in hell."

A murder.

Wherever blood is spilled, a curse must have followed.

Perhaps it was his curse. The curse in the form of a witch. The College of Elbion was a school of magic and in the mind of the Wight Knight, that meant the mages residing there could tell him about his curse.

When he reached the gates of the college, however, there already seemed to be a scene.

Elise had made her way from the home of the Wiscards, deciding that it was best to leave the grieving parents for now.

The truth of the matter was that she didn't particularly care about the dead boy, nor did she really like his parents. The relationship was an old one however, and thus it transcended her own opinions of the whole matter. She had involved herself because of the opportunity of it all.

That was why she'd made her way to the Headquarters of the City Guard.

As she stepped from her carriage an Anirian Knight followed close behind, as well as one of the main House Servants of the Wiscard family. In his hands was a seal from the Councilor, something that would authenticate her words.

Quickly the Baroness ascended the steps, the Anirian Knight rushing ahead of her to open the door for her.

The inside of the building was filled with a bustle of activity, dozens of men and women rushing around in preparation for an all out war. She could practically feel the tension in the air, officers and guardsmen alike weary of what might happen if the College denied requests.

"Find me the Captain, inform them an agent of House Wiscard is here to speak on the matter of their sons murder." The steward nodded, quickly rushing away as Elise found a more quiet place within the headquarters to wait.

This was where she would sow the seeds.

College of Elbion

Nayden confirmed he represented the College and took the City’s writ. The Official will remember that.

The names of the witnesses can be confirmed within the scroll’s words,” the Official told Nayden.

The parchment listed the names of the witnesses to Thestor Hudd’s presence at the time of murder:
  • Bella Wiscard, wife of Roland Wiscard and mother of the deceased
  • Nadia, maidservant of the Wiscard Estate
  • Romo, watchman of the Wiscard Estate
While all three had affiliations with the House of Wiscard, those familiar with noble etiquette would know there would be negative consequences to insinuating these witnesses were biased without firm evidence.

There is no evidence of another mage being on the property at the time,” the Official added in response to Nayden’s second question.

And to the third question, the Official emphasized, “The City wishes to resolve this expeditiously. Since this is a capital offense requiring a capital punishment, it’s expected Hudd will hide in the College or flee if given time.

When Nayden suggested someone familiar with Hudd would be of some help, Kara approached Nayden to say to the Maester, “I’ve attended a course under Professor Hudd. May I help?

The Official did not say anything and just waited for Nayden to allow them to enter. Once Nayden gave the cue to do so, the Official turned back to wave two City Guard’s forward. From the back, two large men completely covered in armor took their place beside the Official. They quickly took their swords from their belt and gave them to the ten City Guards that would be left at the gate.

On both their breastplates and shields, these two guards sported a symbol of a burning sword that every mage would immediately recognize. They were Templars – specifically, from Elbion’s Order of Templars.

When the Third Schism splintered the Templars into many different orders, the City of Elbion chose to essentially adopt the nearest, broken chapter to bring them under their control. With Elbion having a high concentration of mages affiliated with a College they had no control over, the Merchant’s Council since then found it critical to the City’s safety to have a well-funded and trained order of anti-mages firmly under their control.

Fortunately for the Wight Knight, the two Templars did not notice him as an undead.

When the group reached Hudd’s private quarters, they would find the professor to be absent and the room appearing as if a storm blew through…

Elbion City Guard Building

The steward returned to Elise. Three armored men, one being an Elbion Templar, came from the same direction that the steward did - the City Guard Captain's office. They continued to walk toward the building's exit.

"The Captain will see you now," the steward informed Elise.

The steward would guide Elise and her company to the captain's office. Inside the office, the captain sat at a desk closely examining a letter with a broken wax seal. The captain was old enough to have a full head of gray air. He did not wear armor - though a suit of decorated plate armor sat at the corner of the room. There was only one chair and it was for the captain himself.

Looking up to his guest, the captain would say, "I heard you had something about the Wiscard boy?"

From the sounds of the commotion, this Hudd character was to blame for the murder of the mage boy. He had status and power and most importantly, a position in the college. The whole city must be searching for him, the Wight Knight assumed, and therefore he'd turn up sooner or later. However, Hudd would be of no use to him if he was captured. Or killed.

If the Wight Knight were to find Hudd, perhaps he could interrogate him. After all, he did kill a man. And murderous mages must be like minded. A person of such status would be of use to him. So it was there by the gates of the College of Elbion that the Wight Knight decided he would find Hudd himself.

There was one man that stood out among the crowd of Elbion officials hovering by the entrance to the college. He'd brought gargoyles with him, so attention was inevitable. Additionally, he seemed to have an aura of confidence that told the Wight Knight he would have information.

As the object of the Wight Knight's attention stepped aside to allow two guards entrance beyond the gates, another subject came forward. The Wight Knight did not desire confrontation with a group, so when he hopped off his horse and told it away, he slunk behind the gates and out of sight.

For now he would listen and hope for something vital to be revealed.

Nayden gives the thought of letting Kara assist then nods, “You may, just don’t go messing things up, and keep quiet about your involvement.” He tells her before giving the Templars entrance. He showed them up a few flights of stairs and a few turns to Hudd’s room, not to mention a room that seemed as if a tornado blown through it.

“Well this doesn’t look good...” He whispers to himself and lets the official enter, “If you do not mind Im going to find something of value to Professor Hudd. Then Im going to cast a spell that’ll let me see snippets or a full vision of what occurred here.” He asked the official not wanting them to be alarmed by what he was doing. It was a neat trick when you were trying to either find something someone sent you to get for them or to figure out what actually happened if a student was lying about something.

“I won’t even hide anything I’ll say what is happening as the spell occurs, but for the sake of confidentiality.... maybe behind closed doors?” He adds looking at the wide open door and the possibility that students would try to ease drop. It might also be better if they moved to a different room for the spell if it was possible.

If the official allowed him he would find his most valued possession in the room, maybe with Kara’s help and cast that/those spells.

If he did not then he’d simply hang out and be on standby until otherwise or something catches his eye.

"Of sorts." Elise said plainly, frowning slightly at the lack of a chair.

Were this in Vel Anir she would have had someone lashed and then this Captain strung up for his briskness. Unfortunately however this was not her city, and she would have to be patient with how she dealt in all of this.

"I understand the boy was mutilated through means of magic, or so his father told me." An interesting fact to be sure. "As I understand it the City Watch has no mages of its own."

Something that she found rather...odd. Even the Anirian Guard now had its own mage. "I would like to offer myself and the Dreadlord I have with me for my protection as assistance in this matter."

"My family has known the Wiscards for generations, it would pain me to see this unresolved."
As she spoke Elise began to weave an allure into her words, the pain of a woman who simply desired justice.

In response to Nayden allowing her to join, Kara nodded with, “Understood, professor.

After they reached Hudd’s room, the Official clicked his tongue at the sight of the devastated room. The two Templars stood near the door and as out-of-the-way as possible. They remained silent as Nayden spoke.

To Nayden’s offer, the Official said, “Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

If nothing material could be found, the Official would just have to rely on the Council’s Mage to determine the authenticity of any images shown by Nayden.

At Nayden’s suggestion, Kara closed the door.

Several candidates for a valuable possession existed.

Hudd’s Grimoire sat on a stand that was somehow undisturbed. It contained much of Hudd’s own spells and research into College magic.

A couple of Hudd’s Keychains sat on top of the professor’s desk. The keys of different sizes, shapes, and colors were all unlabeled.

Kara spotted the keys. Then, she peeked into an open drawer on the top-right side of the desk. With a frown, she reached into the desk and procure Hudd’s Daily Journal. She then sat it upon the desktop.

The Official simply looked around the room. He did not touch anything yet or attempt to examine the items already found. He would wait until Nayden attempts his magic or physical examine any of the objects.

The Wight Knight would find the hallways that Nayden and the rest journeyed down to be full of students and professors. His rusted, spikey, full metal appearance would stick out compared to the robed mages. There were many nooks and crannies in the hall for the Wight Night to maneuver to. Alternatively, there were many doors to paths unknown to him to take.

It would be extremely challenging for him, donned in rusted plate armor, to continue unnoticed. Even if out of sight, the sound of his armor would draw attention. It would take more than the movements of a thief to avoid alerting people.

If the Wight Knight managed to stealthily keep up, he would find Nayden and the crew to be within Hudd’s room with the door closed.

Unless you two want to help keep the College mages in line, you can’t help me,” the captain told them as he warmed up some wax over a candle.

Contrary to the Anirian Guard, the Elbion City Guard served as the city watch instead of the city’s military force. At most, they could serve as the city’s militia in defense. Normally, they just helped maintain civil order. Their focus at that moment would be to prepare for the chance of the College starting trouble.

The captain then quickly scribbled a note on a piece of paper, folded the paper, and made a wax seal.

Offering the sealed letter to Elise, the captain said, “If you want to help with magic, the Council Mage at the Palace could use you. The judge for this is probably there as well if he isn’t drunk.

The Doge’s Palace, and many other institutes of the City’s governance, would be nearby. As the name suggests, it is where the Doge lives. While all decisions require consent from the Merchant’s Council, the Doge elected by them to serve a lifelong term was the face of Elbion to the outside world.

The hallways which made up the College of Elbion were large and intricately designed. Not only were they intimidatingly maze-like, but they were bumbling with the quickly moving, robed bodies of students. Students that all turned heads at his armored appearance. Students that whispered and pointed and stared.

The Wight Knight stood out. That much he should have expected considering this was a college for wizards, not for knights. As he continued down the corridor, unaware of where he was going or where the man with the gargoyles went, the whispering grew. Not literally, per say, but in his mind, they grew louder and louder until he couldn't stand it any longer.

"Sir, what is your purpose here?"

The Wight Knight glanced down at the singular man who'd dared to touch him. His gloved hand lay on the Wight Knight's shoulder, stopping him. The student's eyes were young and bright.

When the Wight Knight awoke, he'd discovered he no longer could feel. There was no more relishing the feeling of a gentle breeze. There was no more serenity in weaving his fingers through his lover's hair. There was nothing. Yet the student's grip on his shoulder burned. It was like a fire seeping through his tunic and into his bones.

Attempting to keep his composure despite the ringing bouncing through his ears, the Wight Knight brushed the hand from his shoulder and pushed forward. He needed to find an empty hallway.

Quickly, he dipped into the first path free of bustling bodies. There he pushed into a cranny where he would be out of sight. He waited for a moment, hoping a student would pass by. The Wight Knight didn't need to wait for long before a man walked into the hallway, covered in a blue robe.

Before the man could register the Wight Knight's presence, he grabbed him by the collar and shoved him to the wall. The flesh of the man burned through his armor, so he let go, but continued to hover over him.

"Give me your robe," the Wight Knight said, voice low and rumbling.

The man stuttered, "Who are you?"

"Give me your robe."

The man said nothing, simply looked around the hallway. The Wight Knight noticed his right hand begin to glow red. He was doing magic.

The Wight Knight gripped the man's wrist, tightening his grasp until he was sure it hurt. The glow subsided with the man's groans. It burned, but the Wight Knight endured it until the man unbuckled his robe and handed it over.

As soon as he let go, the man stumbled down the hallway in the direction he came. The Wight Knight would have to hurry. He wrapped the robe over his shoulders. Luckily, it was large and reached to his feet. He brought the hood over his helmet, thankful that it fell over his eyes.

The spikes in his helmet were obvious under the hood and it was clear that he carried a sword. In addition, his armor would make a racket. Nonetheless, he had to carry on and do so quickly before he made too much of a scene.

He needed to find Hudd's quarters.

Nayden sighs, "Guessing it will be one at a time if the journal doesn't produce much." The half-elf claps his hands together thinking before picking up Hudd's journal and flipping through it to the last entry. If it was around the day of the murder he would read it aloud before closing it.

Having familiarized himself with the actual item he starts to speak very quickly in a foreign tongue and after a minute of a quick speech he pauses and closes his eyes holding out his hand towards the middle of the room. From it, a light would appear that projected the images and events that occurred in the room. The highly personal item such as a journal was the perfect candidate for this spell; not only because it was close to the user but it also had been around a lot.

A bit of blood would start to drip from his eyes as the spell went on but he continued with it until he was absolutely sure that had gotten all the information they could from it.

Taking a gasp Nayden opens his eyes, dropping the journal and starts to rub them catching himself on the desk, "Is that good enough information or do you want me to do it to all of the items?" He asks the official taking a few deep breaths casts a simple spell to clean up the blood from his hands, magic came at a price and his price was simply a killer headache from the spell.

"Excellent." Elise said with a smile, motioning to the Anirian Knight to grab the letter.

She wasn't about to touch anything this filth handed to her. The Baroness could barely stand to be in the same room with these people. A part of her wanted to vomit from the stench in this place. Did Elbion even clean it's streets?

"The Wiscards will be most graceful." Elise gave a short curtsy and then turned, stopping. "Don't trust those mahesy, Captain. They so not hold this cities interests at heart."

She showed the seed, and then continued out the door.

As soon as they found their way towards the outside of the Headquarters Elise leaned in towards her servant and spoke quickly. "Fetch Varik. He will be most helpful in this."

There was a quick nod from the servant, and he dashed off.

As soon as he was gone Elise and her escort reboarded their carriage and began their short trek to the Doge's palace. There she would offer another introduction, save this time she did not hold back on the Grandeur.

She was the Baroness of the South, first born of House Virak. Elise was sure to make it known she wanted to help.

• Yay
Reactions: Kara Orin
The last journal entry was the day before Wiscard boy’s murder. In it, Hudd had written:
It has been a year since the Wiscards commissioned me to tutor Artor. His intellect for his age has still never ceased to amaze me. His ability to memorize spells and incantations surpasses my own at that age. He is nearly old enough for the College’s exams and I expect he has the ability to pass with great ease.

Artor is to show me his progress in this month’s lesson tomorrow. If he does well, we can complete things early.

Then, Nayden casted his spells.
The flashes of images that appeared were mostly moments of Nestor Hudd writing in his journal. The window to his room could be seen showing the gradual change of seasons. One image showed Hudd shoving his class registrar into a left side drawer of the desk.

Hudd’s keyrings sat at one corner of the desk. At the time of these images though, Hudd had three keychains. The closed grimoire was shown to be open on a page with a diagram of a human body in what could be assumed to be the most recent image.

Then, the final image appeared at the moment Hudd opened the drawer that the journal was in.

Damn, damn, damn,” Hudd yelled. It was rare for him to curse.

Was it something I had? Said?” Hudd muttered, “No… someone taught him…

The scene ended with Hudd grabbing a keyring and rushing out of the door.

During the display, the Templars and Kara remained unmoved. The Official stared at the display with wide eyes and mouth agape.

The Official relayed what he saw to Nayden, ending with, “And then Hudd grabbed some keys and left the room.

Anyone in the room could tell the spell placed a strain on Nayden. The Official wished to be thorough, yet Nayden had been very cooperative.

If you have an idea on what Hudd wants to do, I wouldn’t see the need,” the Official told Nayden – with his focus clearly being on the final image.

It was fortunate that the rather plump man had a large enough robe for the Wight Knight. By chance, the Knight's exchange with the man was close to the teachers’ quarters. Another thing in the Knight’s favor is that the teachers had their names inscribed on their doors so that students would know where to find them.

However, the Wight Knight’s time would be limited. The man would quickly make a report about the Wight Knight and the College would soon move to find and restrain him.

Since he had yet to threaten anyone’s life and the man did not realize the Knight was an undead, he still would not be met with deadly force. Yet, the College would not shy away from violence in order to arrest him…

So do a lot of folks,” the Captain replied to Elise. As usual in many parts of the world, common folk feared what they did not understand.

The Doge’s Palace displayed the pinnacle of what opulence could achieve in Elbion. Parts of the gate surrounding the palace had accents of gold. With magic intertwined in the design, a fountain just beyond the gate had flowing water without a complicated water wheel system. It just needed to be topped off with clean water on a regular basis and it ran by itself. The garden displayed flowers native from Epressa. If a single weed were found by the aristocracy, the head gardener would likely receive a lashing.

Well-armed guards stood at the gates. They sported better and more aesthetic equipment than the City Guard. The guards would ask for the Baroness’s purpose at the palace. With her looking the part of a noble and with the Captain’s sealed letter, the guards would allow her to enter with her carriage.

Elise would receive a noble’s welcome. A palace guard and steward came to be her escort.

The Steward, a human man at least fifty years old, gave Elise an Elbion bow and said, “My Fair Lady, how may this steward be of service?

• Yay
Reactions: The Wight Knight
Shaking his head Nayden was not incredibly curious and regardless of if someone objected or not he takes the keychain, "Did you realize what the key's looked liked sir?" He asks the official while getting ready to cast yet another spell before thinking and listening to him describing a simple description of the keys on the ring.

"Someone taught him?" He seemed lost in thought, what did that boy's death hide? Oh, Hudd.... what did you get yourself into?

"I'm going to offer my opinion on the matter... I don't think Hudd was the only reason why the kid died." Nayden tells the Offical, "He rarely cursed, even no words such as Damn left his mouth. Something else must have been at play but I can't figure out what..."

The professor thinks hard for a second, there were a lot of places in the College that needed keys to get into but mostly simple classrooms after classes hand ended. The basement was guarded and Nayden felt that of all the places maybe he went there but then the Guards and Offical might see what was down there.... he doubted the protection in place there would even let Hudd in now that there was a price on his head of sorts.

"Maybe he could be in the section for experiments...." Nayden runs his hand through his hair and he turns and leaves the room having the two gargoyles tag behind him, "I'm going to check on the experiment rooms reserved for Professors, of all the places he could be the quietest place is there right now." He explains having a feeling but this time he was speaking a bit quicker. Some of the stuff in there could be used as a weapon if the ingredients were mixed right.

"In the case that he is still around I want you guys to follow after a minute or two, I am sure Kara knows where it is located. Before any of you grumble about it, I've been very cooperative and if any of you grumble about how he is a wanted murderer right now. Remember I got two gargoyles." He'd tell them giving them a slight bow before briskly limping away and the crowd of students dispersed as the gargoyles and Nayden went down the hall. Avoiding touching them or Nayden out of the concern and maybe some fear of the creatures.

A lot of students were whispering to each other and some just left to get to a class they were late to.

The Wight Knight sped through the many hallways, up a winding staircase, and through various mysterious doorways. He hadn't a clue where he was headed, but his plan was to keep moving. He was harder to stop that way. The students seemed preoccupied, luckily, with the stacks of books weighing them down as they scurried to their classes.

Eventually, as the Wight Knight was beginning to tire of his searching, he came across the man and his two gargoyles stalking down the hall. They'd exited from a room at the end of the walkway, the door slightly ajar. Should he continue to the room in the hopes of discovering promising evidence or confront the man?

The room would certainly be inhibited with the remainder of the group from the front gates and the Wight Knight would have to wait until they left to have a look around. And that was assuming they wouldn't leave behind a few guards. Even then, he wasn't sure he would find anything substantial enough to reveal Hudd's location.

Confronting the man would be dangerous considering the gargoyles flanking his sides. It would most likely lead to conflict. He could follow after the man, but he already stood out among the crowd of students and his half-assed disguise wouldn't last much longer, especially now that he was standing still.

The Wight Knight had grown tired of weaving through the maze that was the college. The man with the gargoyles was obviously important, perhaps he knew the college well. At the very least, he would give him some sort of information on how to track a curse. Maybe he'd recognize the witch the Wight Knight was after.

Without anymore hesitation, he stepped in front of the man and pulled back his hood, revealing the several spikes adorning his helmet. In another simple motion, he swept his cloak aside so his sword was visible.

Last edited:
The Official did not protest. He could not protest while still within the College. Yet, he would remember Nayden’s words and grit his teeth.

Kara responded to Nayden with a calm, “I know the way. I’ll see you soon, Professor.

Despite being left alone with three male strangers to the College, Kara maintained a stoic face. She silently watched the Official walk over to the desk and pick up the journal – quickly flipping through the pages.

Raising the journal up in the air before Kara, the Official told her, “I’ll talk to Professor Kiers about the City taking this as evidence.”

With a simple bow of her head, Kara replied with, “Understood.

Then, the Official continued to scan the room – looking for anything else they would have missed.

At the two minute mark, Kara told the three with her, “It’s time we go meet the Professor.

They then set out to head toward the classroom laboratories. It would not be long until they catch up with the Wight Knight and Nayden…

"I have come to offer my assistance and that of my Mage." She told the steward, glancing over to the other man that sat within the carriage.

The Dreadlord was not the most powerful employed by her father, but he was strong enough to hold his own with even the most well trained of mages. Elise had selected him for this journey specifically due to his magics.

He was a powerful mentalist, and could see into the minds of others.

"My family is friend to House Wiscard." She explained. "And I wish to aid in bringing their sons murderer to justice."

Odd black flecks floated across her eyes, and the steward would suddenly feel a strange compulsion at the back of his mind. "You must help me convince the Doge it would be best to allow me to help."

Elise inflected urgency into her tone, perhaps even a touch of pleading.

Nayden walks in a brisk pace, well was walking in a brisk pace with his gargoyles whenever the large man stopped in front of him and revealed his armor and his sword.

The gargoyles would ready themselves for combat, but Nayden would simply look at the Knight.

"Well...." He says as the students dispersed, "I suggest you get out of my way stranger and off this campus before you get into trouble with the local protection." He tells the Knight as he started to walk around him, "I'd rather not have the gargoyles resort to their primary purpose." He warns him, "Nor I for that matter." The Gargoyles would stay close to the Knight, unmoving, watching him for any sudden movements. If there was they would attack him and attempt to overpower and immobilize him.

The Wight Knight unhooked his stolen cloak, letting it drop to the floor so his identity as a knight, or rather, ex-knight, was completely revealed. At the man's threatening words, his right hand moved to the handle of his sword while his foot kicked the cloak aside. He was prepared for combat, if that's what the situation led to. He always was.

The two gargoyles stood at the man's side ominously, curious masks covering their faces. The Wight Knight had never seen such creatures before but they shared the human figure. He was uncertain of their capabilities. He feared they knew magic and would use it against them. Although he was prepared, combat was not what he was looking for.

His eyes, although they were hidden, were locked onto the man's. The Wight Knight searched for his intentions, but reading people was not his specialty. He didn't know how people worked anymore. Their mannerisms were more languid. More open. The Wight Knight couldn't be sure if people now were more at ease with expressing their emotions or if it was a means of deception.

"You know magic," he stated, voice echoing through his helmet; the Wight Knight still wasn't comfortable with the way it sounded.

He tightened his grip on his sword, pondering whether or not to actually draw it. The longer he stayed in the presence of the gargoyles, the more anxious he became.

"I need your knowledge."

The knight hated how clueless he was about the world around him. He felt weak being so uneducated. Asking for help made him vulnerable, so instead he would command. No matter the consequences.

Kara, the Official, and the three Templars managed to catch up to Nayden in the hallway. Kara saw the Wight Knight drop his robe. She squinted her eyes at the sight.

The Official just muttered, “What?”

The Templars, who had been trailing behind the Official, moved to position themselves in front of the Official. They merely saw the Wight Knight as a not-mage.

Stepping toward Nayden, Kara spoke up with, “Professor?

The Steward took to the effects of whatever Elise had done.

My lady, if the mage is to offer help then the Council Mage may accept it,” the Steward informed her.

And the Judge presiding over the Wiscard matter would accept help of the non-magical sort,” the Steward continued.

His Serene Doge is very interested in what happened to the Wiscards. Word of any great assistance provided to bring this case to a close would reach His Serene Doge’s ears,” the Steward told them.

In Elbion, a judge would organize any investigation into a crime worth having a trial over. Normally, a trial would never be needed for petty crimes. Yet for murder or crimes of interest to the Merchant Council, a trial would occur.

The Council Mage in Elbion served as the magical authority for the City itself. While the College of Elbion had many mages, the City required a mage under their own service. Many times, the Council Mage was recruited from the College. And sometimes, the mage was a foreigner that gained the interest of the Merchant’s Council. In either case, the Council Mage would be handsomely paid and highly skilled.

For trials, the Council Mage would be consulted if any evidence of magic was discovered.

"Wonderful." Elise said with a brief smile.

She had to be careful not to show too much of her elation. This was s trying time, and although magic had touched the stewards might it would not mean much if that cloud was broken. Stepping from her carriage she spoke once more.

"I'll see the Council Mage first." She told him. "I imagine he must be in need of help."

The Dreadlord descended from the carriage with her, and quickly the two were lead forward by a Servant into the palace.

Briefly she considered if it even matter who actually killed the Wiscard boy. For some reason she doubted that the College itself was responsible. It was certainly possible, but from what she knew of the mages there they tended to be more...controlled.

Still, finger pointing was her goal. Not solving the murder.

Nayden looked over the large man as he dam eded him for his knowledge, when Kara walked towards him he’d hold out a hand towards her as a form of telling her to stay back. “Continue on leading them to the room Kara. All will be well.” He instructs her glaring at the man as the gargoyles tensed up also.

“Now sir, you just had to ask nicely. Be at ease and this whole situation will resolve itself rather quickly without violence.” He tells the Knight preparing a sort of spell in one of his hands, motioning with it to the Knight’s sword. “Please, it will not be good if you decide to act.” He pleads with the Knight, “We are civilized people are all are we not?”