Fable - Ask A Steady Hand

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Norris

Kind Teacher
Character Biography
Link
Vel Stratholm found itself in need of new governance. That's why this council was summoned, made up of various nobles as well as representatives from all seven of the Great Houses of Vel Anir. Truthfully, Norris was taken aback when he received his invitation to make a case for himself as the governor of the city. It was everything he had struggled for over the decades. A seat of power, a chance to make a name for himself, create his own little legacy. But he was one of many here to bid for the governorship and there was no telling how the council would vote.

The discussions were more of a conversation rather than each candidate making an individual pitch. The Great Houses believed that everyone's ideas could be useful and should be heard so that the candidate chosen would have a blueprint of sorts on how to shape the city's future. Elise Virak had decimated a tenth of the population, murdered the previous governor, and it was believed the cult had been almost entirely eradicated. Now they had to focus on rebuilding. On creating a prosperous city center which would not only cover the taxes it owed but also ensure that vile religion never resurfaced its disgusting little head.

Currently Lord Penumbrook was speaking. House Penumbrook was one of the richer of the minor houses and the man was proposing that his seventeen year old daughter be awarded the governorship. The petite girl with curly brown hair and auburn eyes was certainly a looker but she remained silent for most of the hearing and allowed her father to sing her praises.

"Amelia here would make a perfect governor, she is most clever and obviously House Penumbrook would aid in the economic recovery," the Lord of the house prattled on. They were wine traders, owning hundreds of vineyards as far north as Oban and as far south as the edge of the Falwood. Where he really bothered Norris was at his insinuation that they turn the former governor's distillery into yet another vineyard to make Vel Stratholm a tourist destination.

"Tourism?" Norris announced in disgust. "You think a bunch of self-respecting Anirians are gonna go on holiday where a bunch of crazed zealots tried to murder our proud Dreadlords?" What he really meant was, 'I want that distillery when I am made governor,' but the tourism point did hold some merit.

He poured himself a light helping of a Cabernet Sauvignon. He didn't much care for wine but the nobility loved it and he needed to seem like he fit in. Like he wasn't below them. As the crimson fluid filled the stemmed glass he continued before Lord Penumbrook could cut him off, "what Vel Stratholm needs, in my opinion, is strong leadership. A steady hand, if you will."

He took a long sip and let the comment sink in at the crowded table.

Elise Virak

• Devil
Reactions: Elise Virak
It had been weeks now since the Decimation of Stratholm, and Elise could still feel the power of those deaths coursing through her veins.

It had been a delightful thing to experience. Each death had been a trickle, a little morsel of strength. Together they had all formed into a vast pool, an additive to what the Well already granted her. It had been the icing on top of the cake for her.

Now with both more power and acclaim Elise Virak sat at one of the heads of the table. Her expression was calm as she listened to people speak, her fingers idly playing over the rim of her wine glass as she considered what was being said. She had to keep herself from rolling her eyes when Penumbrook suggested his twit of a daughter.

The man who spoke next interested her though.

Those beneath her rarely caught more than a glance from Elise Virak, but there was an intention to the way the man spoke. Ambition. She could hear it in his tone, the way that he addressed the room. Yes. It was obvious. "I agree."

Eyes turned to her. The words were the first that she had spoken throughout this convocation, and it was clear that they held weight.

Not only was she the Heir to House Virak, but she had also been the one to silence Stratholm in the first place.

"I silenced the city, but I am under no illusion that the rot still remains at it's root." Her gaze traveled over those at the table. "It will require someone with talent to guide the citizenry, someone who will twist their former heroes into villains."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Norris
Elise Virak was not someone that Norris had personally ever met. He certainly knew of her, of her reputation, but generally highborn nobles didn't bother to mettle with Academy or Forsaken affairs. Her comments seemed to intrigue everyone at the table though. Some of these nobles certainly did not approve of one another but the representative from House Virak's opinion was important for the Great Houses to reach a consensus.

Not to mention she was the one who quelled the uprising in the first place.

The senior handler smiled and sipped on a bit of wine but the silence that permeated the room after Elise's words would be cut short by Lord Penumbrook once more. "I concur with Lady Virak. I can think of none more talented than Amelia here," he gestured towards his scrawny child. "We'll certainly need a heavy military presence in the area to ensure the rot is cut out entirely. But I believe once that is taken care of our family could easily transition the economy of Vel Stratholm to one of tourism."

Lord Penumbrook looked around the table, trying to gauge the room. Norris didn't bother, he kept his gaze focused on the minor house noble. Sending a sinister glare towards him and his spoiled brat of a daughter. Penumbrook addressed the handler directly now, "I think many a proud citizen of Vel Anir would visit to pay their respects to the brave men and women who died securing our freedoms."

Of all the things Norris hated it was the false sincerity that fools like Penumbrook used to obtain their goals. Not that Norris was above it either but at least Norris had gotten his hands dirty. This minor noble knew nothing of death. Nothing of the hardships that surrounded securing a city.

"I respectfully disagree," he finally stated. He'd like to have said more but Penumbrook was still a noble and there was a level of decorum to maintain at this meeting. "I think the catacombs beneath the city need to be contained. Perhaps we could even use them to train our own agents. Would be hard for a festering bunch of religious fanatics to hole up if we constantly occupy the tunnels."

He of course was referring to the Forsaken. But he knew that it was likely only some of the nobles knew about the Forsaken program and he figured those who did would understand his suggestion.

• Sip
Elise raised an eyebrow. "What an intriguing thought."

She had made use of the Forsaken before, not often, but more than her father had. They were a useful tool, especially when sent against outside influences. Elise, like many other nobles saw their value, and using Stratholm for such a purpose had never even occurred to her. It really was quite a thought.

Solving two problems with one single solution.

The Baroness slowly gazed at Norris for a moment, something clicking on her head as she slowly leaned back in her chair. She remembered meetings like this in her own youth, ones where she had been granted and position.

She remembered raising her own voice.

"Jorj." Elise said the name with a smile on he flips, referring to Lord Penumbrook by his first name. "Perhaps you should let Amelia speak. I wish to hear of her plans and ideas for the city and it's people."

Her hand came up to gently rub along her chin. "Chief Educator Norris, I would hear your full plans as well."

The others in the room began to slowly fall silent.

• Devil
Reactions: Norris
Perfect. Elise Virak had called on the child to speak rather than allowing her father to sing her praises. It was foolish to ever underestimate the youth of the noble families, even from a minor house, but Norris had a gut feeling about this one. The girl looked far too innocent, far too pampered, to be very impressive with her proposal.

"Ladies first," the educator said through a satisfied grin.

To everyone's shock the girl didn't seem shaken. She was poised and spoke confidently, "Lady Virak, I believe that the greatest benefit to Vel Anir would be to create an economic powerhouse within Vel Stratholm. An economy supported by vibrant tourism and bolstered by the fertile grounds nearby. We could not only re-purpose the distillery to create a vineyard and grow wines to rival those of Oban but also allow the Great Houses to establish agricultural pursuits in the nearby farmlands. Perhaps elevating up loyal houses to minor nobility status and forming a power-base on the frontier with heavy taxes paid back to Vel Anir."

This clearly wasn't going to be as simple as he had thought. Shame on him for underestimating a member of one of Vel Anir's noble houses. There was merit to her idea, everyone loved to make money. Norris figured his only shot was to provide wealth while playing to those concerned of a zealous remnant.

"Marvelous proposal," he quipped in as Amelia finished speaking, "but my concern is that it doesn't punish the populace enough for allowing some idolatry to flourish in their home." He took another sip from his red wine and sat up straighter in his seat before pressing on. "The decimation that was delivered by Lady Virak and our brave Dreadlords was a good start. But I would propose an additional measure."

A smile crept over his face, causing his mustache to take on a crooked shape. "At the end of the fiscal year each household will owe the entirety of their tax bill to be paid immediately. Those who cannot pay will be flogged and the youngest of their household conscripted into service towards the state. We'll take advantage of the metal deposits nearby and begin an industrialization of Vel Stratholm. If a family cannot pay their fair share of tax for a second year the children will all be conscripted and the parents will be sentenced to thirty years hard labor in the mine." His smile grew larger as he envisioned the panic in the lousy population that had allowed such a heinous religion to take root in a once-great Anirian city.

"I believe that, combined with an increased presence in the catacombs, will dissuade any further acts of religious debauchery."

• Devil
The two approaches sat diametrically opposite one another.

Elise had expected the girl to give a good answer, and she had done just that, yet she believed it was rooted in naivety. Vel Stratholm's population had faced decimation once, and there was no doubt in her mind they would face it a second time if they were allowed free reign.

The people there despised her, and there was no doubt in her mind they despised Vel Anir. What Stratholm needed was not invigoration, but subjugation. The rebellion had been broken, but the citizens had not.

Elise knew this for a fact.

"This esteemed council must reach it's own decision." The Baroness began, a frown touching her face for a brief moment as she looked towards the others at the table. "However House Virak will declare it's support for Chief Educator Norris for the Governership of Vel Stratholm."

She looked at Norris, the gaze she offered clear that such support was not unconditional.

"We also propose a solution that may make things more...amicable." This was all part of Politics. It was something she had learned from her mother, something that her father had never really been able to achieve.

"Some months ago our Navy seized Coraliv in the Cortosi Sea." A few people at the table tensed. "Since then Archon Naja has kept the city under military governance. I believe Amelia would be a perfect candidate to take the city in a new direction; Trade."

She smiled at the girl and then Jorj. "A bright mind of Economics and tourism could do very well there I believe."

Not to mention it would also take some of the power away from the Archon. Naja was strong, and there had been rumors of the woman attempting to make her own base of power in Coraliv to eventually form her own House. Elise wouldn't allow that.