Open Chronicles A Plague in Elbion

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Madame Valkery watched Eleanor storm off, chiding herself for letting her feelings get in the way again. She hadn't been expecting this. She knew how to fight vampires and wolves, she knew over 100 ways of killing a person with a thought and yet she felt helpless when it came to helping her own student. She watched as Eleanor helped the woman, recognizing the use of both the void aura and her own aura reserve with a level of skill she had not seen her pupil achieve before. But this dark aura worried her, she didn't understand it and she couldn't combat something she didn't understand.

Luna spoke, apologizing for her student's naivety and continued to question her own methods. Madame Valkery scowled. She could read the implied threat in Lunas words and expression. Was this woman being protective of Eleanor? She watched her approach Eleanor still at a loss as to why her student would be working with such a person and using such magic.

Turning to Quoril she cocked her head thoughtfully. "You said you were there the day Terance died and Eleanor disappeared? What can you tell me about the circumstances of his death and her disappearance? And what do you know about this Bastellen figure?" She asked.

Eleanor looked up at Luna as she approached and nodded. "It is bad... I don't know how many times I can do that, maybe five times in a day without putting myself in danger... but that's nowhere near enough, and I don't even know if it worked. There needs to be a better answer." She paused for a moment as she followed Luna and glanced back at Madame Valkery before continuing to walk by Luna's elbow, "Madame would say that we need to understand more about it before we can control it." She added speaking in a slightly lowered tone so that her voice would not carry far enough for Valkery to hear.

“The assassin, Elise, took Eleanor hostage and threatened to kill anyone who tried to save her. Terrance didn’t heed the warning and was...disposed of. Eleanor agreed to work as Bastellen’s agent so her brother’s spirit could move on to the afterlife.”

“ Eventually all of us doing what we could to save her wore down Elise to the point where she couldn’t really fight anymore. One of Lady Armon’s bodyguards had snuck around behind the assassin and managed to knock her out and capture her. Elise was then taken away. Kara Orin (a student of the college) and I took Eleanor to the infirmary to have her treated. She was released a few days later and I hadn’t seen her since then. That is until today.”

“As for Bastellen...my knowledge is very limited. I know that he is a minor deity who offers people a very strong power, but they must serve him in return. He preys on people’s desperation in whatever situation that they might be in and takes advantage of their emotions to get them to do or agree to whatever he wants. It’s much the same as making a deal with the devil. Many of the people indebted to Bastellen work as kidnappers, killers and assassins. But there are some, like Luna over there, who serve him and are compassionate, caring healers. That’s the extent of what I know about Bastellen.”

Turning to look in the the direction of Eleanor and Luna, Quoril went silent as if he were thinking. After a brief moment he tilted his head slightly and looked at Madame Valkery with a sideways glance. “May I also say this- I know that you are worried about Eleanor and want to take her back with you. I honestly doubt that Bastellen would let her return to her former life, now that she serves him. I’ve known Luna for a while and she not a bad sort of woman. She can come off as cold to people who don't know her, but she has a caring heart. As long as Eleanor sticks with her, she’ll be fine.”

Madame Valkery listened carefully to Quoril's account. Terance's soul... so this Bastellen had some control over souls. She placed a knuckle contemplatively on her lips. "You say that this Lady Amron took the Assasin away? Do you know where I might find her?" She asked, the gears of her mind turning. If Eleanor was bound to this Bastellen by a contract she could not leave willingly until she was free of her contract. Regardless of weather Quoril thought Luna was a good person Valkery could not ignore the fact that she served this void deity. If this Lady Armon had taken the assasin perhaps she knew more about this Bastellen.

Since day one at the collage, it has been a constant study of magic, she learned theory until there was nothing left they could teach her, and then she began attempting the application and that is where progress slowed.
Alexis would practice non stop, attempting to relearn the secrets of magic that were now lost to her, she would work for days till her magical fortitude was drained and she couldn't stand for another moment, then she would rest until she her strength returned and would begin the process again.

A large portion of the process was unlearning what she already knew, the magical theory was different in this land, as if an aspect of nature itself was different here, but after months of practice she learned to at least partially tap into the new laws that governed magic in this continent.
She could now partially access the magical strength she already possessed and apply it again to spells she knew before, though she was still limited to a certain level of power she could use.

Her handmaid, Rhali Ka'Thas, learned alongside her though she advanced faster because her skill was more focused and she could now cast some quality restorative spells.
Saben Strahd and the other guard attended them both but mostly stayed out of the way, having grown some form of trust with the collage security measures.

Alexis Armon was again practicing in the collage.
She was in a room specified for this purpose and stood before a ritualistic pentagram while she inscribed a scroll with magical runes.
Scribing runes and making spell scrolls was an easy technique that she could do with minimal effort on her part, but she couldn't make the quality that she used to since she lacked the proper material components and the magical strength to do so, but this exercise would help her become proficient with her current magical strength until she was able to unlock her true reserves.

Single runed objects were effective for a variety of specific situations such as explosions, moving earth, creating walls, summoning water or what have you, mostly elemental in nature with some exceptions.
But inscribing a piece of paper with full sentences of the runic language gave access to spells equal to the power level of the creator without using your own magical reserves.
But without the proper materials, proper paper, ink, and quill, the magic doesn't hold for as long without the enchantments needing to be restored regularly.
Perhaps she could contact her brother Felix, maybe he's come across the ingredients needed to make these materials in his travels, or perhaps she could convince him to go out and find them... or perhaps these ingredients don't exist on this continent...

She finished inscribing the paper and rolled it up, adding it to the pile of scrolls she had already inscribed, She stood up and stepped out of the protective circle.
All of this reminded her of when she was first learning magic as a little girl, all the work, all the lessons, it was like she was that child again inscribing her first scroll, but this time without the one simple mistake blowing up in her face.

"If I could go back and do it again..." She chuckled at the thought, she kinda was going back and doing it again, but this time without all the silly mistakes.
Although she was learning magic under different laws she still had an aptitude for it.

Saben stood by the door, slightly bored but entertaining himself with a book from a nearby shelf. It wasn't a very interesting book so he willingly put it down when he saw her stand up and walk to the window.
The city looked wretched rom there, the sick wandering aimlessly while they tried to keep the city moving, the dead being burned instead of buried outside the city, it was heart wrenching to see another city like the one House Armon pulled from the depths of despair, another city so weak that a stiff wind would blow it to the dust, the way it was now, the city reminded her too much of her home before her family actually stepped in.

She forced herself to look even if it hurt. Her whole family wasn't here or in any position to help, so what could she do on her own in the face of this silent menace?

“The last I heard, Lady Armon was attending the college. If you went to the college and inquired about her, she could most likely be located. Just beware of her guards and handmaidens-they’re extremely protective of her.”

Quoril heard the sound of approaching footsteps behind him. “Quoril, right? Long time no see.” a female voice spoke. He turned to see a young woman whom he recognized from the college. “Hello, Kara! It's nice to see you too! What brings you out into the city?”

At hearing Kara's name Madame Valkery's eyes light up, though her expression remained impassive, with a calm polite smile, "Nice to meet you Kara, My name is Madame Valkery." She said with a polite bow of her head, "Quoril was just telling me that you were a student involved in the events leading up to the death of Terance Griffen and the disappearance of Eleanor Griffen several months ago. I was sent by their family to investigate the circumstances of their death and disappearance. Would you mind answering some questions about what happened?" She asked.

“Yes I am. I was on my way to visit Grandpa Iggy’s bookstore before I got came across an idiot merchant. I was hoping he would have a book on diseases so I could try creating a test cure and improve on it after a few tests. Why do you ask?” he inquired.

"Wise words."
Luna nodded with agreements as they made their way further into the city. Soon they were approaching the large front gates of the college. Luna was worried about this old mentor of her pupils roaming about. Luna had no doubt that would not be the last time they saw each other as it seemed her meddling would be a continuous annoyance, but Luna pushed those thoughts from her mind as they passed an inn. It seemed a little worse for wear but it was clean at the very least and Luna would take what she could get. "Lets get a room here. Should the college not be friendly or too full it may be best to have a pace to stay in advance."
She said to Eleanor as they entered. Luna purchased a room and soon they were inside shutting the door and dropping their wolf skinned packs.
"Your old mentors presence is a burden to you is it not?" She asked slight worry invading her soft voice after they had settled for a moment. She took Eleanor's cheek in her right hand.
"I have not seen an emotional outburst such an emotional outburst from you in a long time. You must not let such things control you."
There was a subtle comforting tone under her usual cold.

Eleanor met Luna's gaze for a moment, grateful for the comforting touch. Pulling away she took her gloves off, the ruin scars on the back of her hands still pink. She sat down on a chair and took her hat off as she rubbed her temples with her free hand.

"I want to be happy to see her. But I know she will never let up about my contract. She's going to get herself killed. She's so stubborn... just like Terance. " She ran her hand over her eyes, exhausted. She felt a piercing pain in her temples, she hadn't slept much the last couple of weeks it getting worse as they approached Elbion.

"Ug, these migraines," Eleanor said standing up abruptly and rummaging around in her pack for a water cantine. "I think I used more energy than I thought in that last spell. I should probably more careful in the future." Finding the cantine she stood up and tipped her head back, drinking deeply, she found some relief in the cool liquid.

Alexis Armon sighed as she looked out at the city, the city was sick, she pressed her forehead against the cool glass as she looked out at the dreary city.
She thought of a true story her brother once told her, about a man who went out to spread the message of his God. He was only one man, but it wasn't by HIS works that any good was done, but it was the works of his God through him that were shown and given the glory.

She took some comfort in that thought, that all she had to do was the best she could and allow her God to give the increase and be glorified in the end.
She smiled reassuringly to herself in her reflection and turned back to her work in the pentagram.
She would write a letter later to her brother to see about those components, but for now what she had would have to suffice.

Saben Strahd sheepishly returned to his post picking up the book again, a bit disappointed that they weren't going to do something else for the time being.

Alexis thought of something while she worked on scribing spells onto scrolls.
She knew about divine magic or otherworldly magics, the magic that clerics, paladins, or cult worshippers called on from their patrons to grant them the power to cast spells, she wondered how such things worked.
While some followers were able to pray for their powers, others simply obeyed their patrons for their rewards, still others invoked the intervention of their patron directly.
She felt a slight tinge of disappointment at the reminder that her patron did not work in the way of the other gods of this world, but she wondered if the laws of divine magic stayed the same from continent to continent unlike the natural laws of magic she accessed.

There were many times when she wished her God would grant her powers like the other deities, but she would only be reminded that what she already has is more than sufficient, and she had to agree with Him in that regard, he had already blessed her with more power than she could have hoped for and it was selfish to want even more than that.

She trusted Him implicitly even now when she was forced to relearn what she had lost, but still she asked herself over and over again, "What does He want me to learn from this?"

Huh?” Kara responded as Madame Valkery spoke up before Quoril could answer.

Kara furrowed her brows after Valkery’s question. She turned her head back to Quoril after he began to speak again. Her brows lifted. She clapped her hands once.

Good,” she said as she looked back to Valkery once more.

A pleasure to meet you, Madame. I can answer some questions,” Kara began, “But would you mind if I talk to Quoril about a job opportunity first?

Quoril’s eyes lit up hearing Kara offering some sort of job. Jobs also usually meant gold and he started daydreaming about all the books he could buy.

“What sort of job do you have in mind?” he asked Kara, trying to hide his excitement.

As soon as Quoril asked about the job, Kara turned back to him. She reached into a pouch and procured a small vial with blue liquid. Etched on the glass was the C.R.T.C. logo and the number 34. The liquid had a similar viscosity as water. If Quoril was brave enough, the smell of the liquid would be similar to a Drawa flower.

The Drawa flower is used in some alchemical applications, but it causes extreme nausea and diarrhea if eaten alone. As the name suggests, the flower originates from the Drawa river in east Epressa.

It’d pretty much be making as many of this as possible,” Kara told Quoril as she showed him the bottle.

The guy we have making it now is… not great,” Kara continued, “A trained alchemist would definitely be helpful. If you’re interested, we can talk on the way to the Port District.

Quoril’s interest was immediately piqued when Kara pulled a small vial from a pouch. He took the small vial of blue liquid from her and inspected it. Etched onto the glass were the initials C.R.C.T and the number 34. Removing the cork, Quoril was hit with the strong smell of the Drawa flower. He handed the vial back to Kara.

“Does it work?” Quoril asked somewhat doubtfully. “Anyway, if you have the recipe I can travel back to my shop in Alliria and have a healthy supply of them made up within a very short amount of time. I’ll need the assistance of your current ‘alchemist’ to gather the necessary materials unless you have a supply already. The only thing that is missing is a way to ship the medicine back here to Elbion.”

“After you finish your business with Madame Valkery, I would be more than happy to follow you to the Port District.”

Luna poured a powder into her own canteen before shaking it and handing it to pupil. " This will help with the pain." She said softly as she placed her Left hand to her students forehead.
The Rune glowed a ghastly purple as a good portion of her drained energy returned.
"Your book is hungry. You have not fed it in weeks. I understand the ritual is unpleasant but..." Luna began to reprimand but dropped off as she glanced at her exhausted and thoroughly depressed companion. She decided not to pressure her.

She had just seen a ghost of her past in a city where she lost not only her brother, but her own soul as well.
Now she was stuck with Luna. She didnt have feelings but Luna felt guilt would be pretty high on her list right now if she did.
"She probably hates me.."
Luna thought to herself with a mental shrug.
So she instead she quietly took her book and with another glow of her left hand energy seemed to flow from her own book into Eleanor's causing it to glow with an almost blackish fire full of energy to be used. She placed it back into Eleanor's holster with out a word.
"I understand you were forced into this fold, and I know Im not the most ideal companion. This old teacher resembles a lot of what you lost. I apologize if you felt I was pressuring you. Finish your drink and rest for a moment while I go get whatever they call food here." She said taking her leave silent as a breeze with out meeting her students eyes. "And I mean truly rest. I know you've been staying up after you tell me you've slept." She said over her shoulder as the door to the room swung shut behind her.

Eleanor took the cantine gratefully drinking the cool powdered tea. At the mention of sleep, she scoffed softly to herself "Not like I haven't been trying," She muttered. Sleep meant giving her mind time to think, and she already had too much of that on her hands. She tried to stay as busy as possible. Lately, she had taken to reading. Rummaging around in her pack she pulled a book out and took another drink from the cantine before sitting down on the bed. She opened the book to a dog-eared page. It was a book on herbalism. She had already read the entire book and was now going back through and memorizing vital applications for the herbs and adding her own notes on their effects on the aura to the margins when she had the chance. It was the middle of the day, there was no way she was going to be able to sleep so she might as well get some work done.

Luna returned.
"Sleep seems to be your enemy. I have not seen a pup fight against it so hard."
She commented dryly setting a bowl of stew before her student.
"This seems to be all they have at the moment. I felt given the circumstances i would spare the owner of this inn my disdain."
She said with her usual dead pan. Some might assume this was a weak joke, but she was quite serious.

"Sleep seems to be fighting me," Eleanor said putting the book down beside her and taking the bowl from Luna. She shrugged at Luna's complaint on the paucity of the food. It didn't seem to bad, It looked to be made with the spare bits of meat, beans, cabbage, carrots and probably some flower as a thickener. It was filling enough, a bit of salt for flavor, and even though it was not all that visually appetizing it tasted fine. Not that she was all that picky. If sleep was fighting her, her appetite was no better. After the third time, she had forgotten to eat and found her body giving out on her, she had taken to making sure to eat something with a high protein content at least once a day to keep her going even if she did not feel hungry.

• Yay
Reactions: Alexis Armon
No time. The job will be gone when you reach Alliria,” Kara replied to Quoril as she took the vial back.

Turning to Madame Valkery, Kara told her, “If you’re fine with a walk, I’d be fine answering any questions on the journey to the Port District. If you wish to speak later, I’ll be returning to the college tonight.

Kara then returned the vial to her pouch. She motioned for Quoril to follow.

If you accept this work, it'll be challenging, hard work,” Kara told Quoril, “But I’m sure you can negotiate a good pay with the Boss.

"Hmmm..." Quoril said thoughtfully. "Then I'll just have to make do with whatever equipment your alchemist has been using. As for the difficulty, the more challenging the mixture is to create the more fun I'll have brewing it!"

As Kara turned and started walking away, she waved at Quoril to walk with her. The elf walked quickly to catch up to her. "The boss?" he asked as he walked besides Kara.

Last edited:
Valkery nodded to Kara. "Thank you for your time, It is greatly appreciated. You have important business to settle with Quoril, I was going to head to the college anyway to speak to Lady Armon, I can find you again this evening to take your testimony." She then turned to Quoril "and thank you for your help, I hope this opportunity works out for you," she said. She watched them head towards the port district. Once they were gone she turned and headed towards the college.

She could feel the aura of sickness that hung over everything. However, she seemed unfazed by it. She had never felt or seen anything like it, even in battlefield hospitals. It seemed to have a life of its own, an aura so powerful that it left residue wherever it went, it hung in the air and on the walls and in the gutter. A twinge of concern at the dire nature of the illness paced through the back of her mind. However, she was not about to let it distract her from her purpose. She was here to find out what happened to Eleanor first and foremost, the plague came second, everything came second, even her own health.

Alexis ran her fingers through her long white hair and stretched. She had spent most of the day practicing with scrolls and since it was getting late she decided to move on to something else. She put way her equipment for scroll craft and removed the pentagram.
Saben stood up with relief that she was finally finished with this practice and they could move on to something else.

They left the study room and walked down the hall, passing by other students and teachers as they made their way to the summoning room.
This room was designed with extremely powerful protection spells to prevent any failed attempts from escaping the room and collage and wreaking havoc on the world, protection spells that were far more powerful than her current abilities to match or exceed, but she intended to change that some day.

They entered the room and Alexis began setting up her spells again. For summoning magic she had been practicing with sprites and minor familiars that had short summoning times. In her homeland she had established many contracts and friendships with specific creatures over the ages, but in this new land and with her skill in these altered laws of magic she didn't feel confident in attempting contact with them.

She placed down her own protective incantations and placed a sealing pentagram in the designated spot on the floor. She found that she could summon at least three beings at one time, this was extremely difficult for her to achieve and maintain so she decided to make it part of her practice regime. She would seat herself in the middle of the pentagram and summon the beings, she would allow them to run about on a tight leash for as long as she could before she would be drained and the spell becomes exhausted.

She prepared herself for her long ordeal, this was only the fourth step in her training regime, and still had a long way to go before she would be forced or willing to call it quits. She had to regain the power she lost, she couldn't use power she had no control over and the laws for controlling them were different, so she worked hard to once again become the best magic user in the land, a privilege she cherished greatly in the past..