Open Chronicles A Plague in Elbion

A roleplay open for anyone to join
“Hear ye, hear ye!” yelled a town crier as Kara and Quoril passed through a town square.

Several of the sick lined the streets. Black veins could be seen on their skin. Boils formed. Too weak to move, they stared at the passerby’s that ignored them.

Can’t expect a farmer’s daughter to pay you,” Kara replied to Quoril.

“The Merchant’s Council declares the Upper Cairou unsafe!” the crier continued.

Ever heard of the C.R.T.C.?” Kara asked as she glanced toward Quoril mid-stride.

“Travel upstream of the river is not recommended!” the crier declared.

As Quoril followed Kara towards the port district he heard the town crier warning of the dangers of travelling up river. As they continued on, he saw sick people lining the streets. They were covered in boils and black veins ran along under their skin. The elf felt pity for those who were afflicted by the mysterious disease and hoped that the liquid Kara had showed him worked.

Ever heard of the C.R.T.C.?” Quoril was yanked out of his thoughts by the sound of Kara’s voice. “No I haven’t. Is it some sort of business?”

Last edited:
"A trading company," Kara answered Quoril, "One of many in this city. The boss is an employee of the C.R.T.C."

The two passed by a shop with a sign reading,

THE GOLDEN NUGG
A LIND COMPANY SHOP

After not too long, Quoril and Kara would enter the Port District. Most visitors rested within the Port District during their time at Elbion. A variety of races still swarmed the district. Many wore face masks of various kinds. Some masks had runes just as Kara's. Some looked like plague doctors with beaks full of herbs to ward off the "bad air."

Before the pair, another sign hanged over an open gate. It displayed: Cairou River Trading Company. A single, large human male stood guard. He sported a shining, bald head and a bit of brown stubble around his jawline. Just past his middle ages, for sure.

Looking toward Kara, the guard cheerfully greeted her with, "Welcome back, Little Miss!"

Glancing at Quoril, he then asked with a smile, "Who's your guest?"

Motioning a hand toward Quoril, Kara introduced him, "This is Quoril, an alchemist."

"An alchemist, eh?" the guard said as he placed his hands on his hips and puffed out his chest. His smile then morphed into a scowl as he continued with, "He doesn't look like one..."

Without responding to the bald man, Quoril reached into his backpack and pulled out a little glass tube. The almost transparent lavender colored liquid swirled gently inside as he uncorked it and dropped in a small seed he had also pulled from his pack. The liquid started bubbling and hissing madly as the seed quickly dissolved in the tube. After the mixture had calmed down, Quoril stood up on his toes and poured a small amount onto the man’s head. A few seconds passed without anything happening. “Aw, the little ‘alchemists’ potion didn't work.” he condescendingly said in a baby tone of voice. Quoril just stood there looking around at the surrounding buildings, expressionlessly. Turning to Kara the man said “Next time Little Miss, please bring somebody who actually knows what they’re doing. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need-” Suddenly his head sprouted long, wavy strands of sky blue hair and a look of shock plastered itself onto his face.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, there are sick and dying people all over this wretched city that need to be given this medicine.” Quoril said, exceedingly annoyed. If there was one thing that he vexed him most in life, it was people questioning his skill as an alchemist. He pushed his way past the shocked man and walked into the building. Scanning the inside of the room, he turned to Kara and said “Okay. Where’s the equipment and ingredients? The sooner I can make more of this medicine the better off the city will be.”

As she approached the gates of the college Madame Valkery slowed. She saw two guards standing watch both wearing masks with ruins on them to keep out sickness. Both were human, one was a bit older nearing his late 30s and the other seemed much younger, perhaps 19. They stood attentively as she approached.

"Good afternoon gentlemen, I am here to speak with a Lady Armon. I have been told she resides here at the college," she said.

The guards nodded and scanned her first using enchanted crystals. Once they were satisfied that she wasn't carrying the plague they allowed her into the college and directed her to the summoning room with some brief directions on how to get there.

Alexis would still be working very devotedly to her spells, exercising and pushing the limits of her magical potential. Saben Strahd continued to watch over her as she worked. He was still a bit bored but he would do his best prevent anyone from needlessly interrupting his mistresses concentration.

Valkery nodded to the two men before heading inside, carefully following their instructions. She could feel the college buzzing with energy, like a hive, everyone busy and rushing about attentive to their tasks. The few places in the world were buzzing with more positive aura energy than here.

Approaching the summoning room Valkery saw or more accurately felt another guard standing watch at the door. But this man felt different... there was something undead about his aura... however it wasn't any kind of undead she was familiar with. Perhaps it was just a necromantic residue... Either way, she would need to be careful.

As she approached the man she was able to get a better read on his aura. It was most definitely undead. But she knew it would do her no good to lose her composure now. She needed to learn more about what had happened and to do that they needed to believe she was not a threat. She could sense beyond him into the chamber. There was another person in there with a similar aura performing some decently powerful magic.

"Good morning sir. I was told I could find the Lady Armon here. Might I speak with her?" She asked.

Saben Strahd examined the lady. A magic user no doubt, and an important woman by her dress. He looked in on his mistress. From what he could see she was just finishing up summoning another set of tiny flying creatures inside the protective circle.
He could see it would be a minor interruption to his mistresses schedule. But perhaps it was acceptable if this lady came as far as she looked.

He gave the lady a friendly fangless smile.
"Yes, I think you can see her now."
the door was open so he knocked lightly on the wall, "M'lady. This lady wishes to speak with you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Alexis dispelled her little creations, minor magical constructs without will of their own. At the summon of her name she turned to see who it was.
A lady she had never heard of before... But one who held great power and seemed to already hide a certain... Distaste... Alexis powers of observation could at least see that much, though the lady hid it well.
Alexis stood and exited the protective circle. She approached the lady with a warm smile. She wasn't happy to be interrupted, but not so disappointed as to be impolite.

"Hello. I am Alexis Armon. To what do I owe this privilege to speak with a powerful magic user such as yourself?"
She kept her hands folded in front of her. Allowing the other lady to initiate her greetings. Alexis opened with a kind smile and warm welcome on reflex, often using the tactic in diplomatic settings hopping to set the tone for all involved.

Valkery nodded courteously to the guard in gratitude for his cooperation. Though she couldn't help hide the tiniest signs of a satisfied smirk from pricking at the corner of her painted lips for a moment. Being funded by the Griffin family had it's advantages, Fine cloths combined with an air of authority meant that people were more likely to listen to you.

Stepping into the summoning room she quickly took in Lady Armon. That same undead aura, and a capable magic user. The way her ara flowed around her showed her aptitude but there seemed to be vacant spaces and small tremors, she was not meeting her full potential. Interesting.

Valkery dropped into a curtsy, returning the pleasantries that Alexis had extended her, "Quite observant, My name is Madame Valkery, I work for the Griffin family. I heard you were present during the incident that took place here several months ago. I heard you apprehended the kidnapper. I was hoping that you could tell me what you learned about who they are and this cult that they belong to. If that wouldn't be any trouble. It would mean a lot to both me and the girls family," She said.

She nodded to her curtsy, "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Madame Valkery. I can tell you what I know."
She motioned the Madame over to a small table that had two chairs. Saben pulled the chairs out for both of them and then pushed them in as the ladies sat. Then he stood off to the side.
Alexis nodded to Saben Strahd, "It was actually my guard here who apprehended the assassin. At the time I'm afraid I was very little help since I had yet to learn the pathways of magic in this land... But before she took an interest in Miss Griffin, the assassin made an attempt on my life, and that is why we took an interest in this ordeal at all. Thanks to the efforts of the collage I am still alive."

She brushed back a stray hair from her face. She was a little disheveled from her rigors of training. But Saben would attest that he had seen her worse when she had finally expended her magical strength.
"My guard, Saben, was able to apprehend the assassin as she was in the process of kidnapping Miss Griffin right out of a classroom in the midst of the collage... Though I'm afraid in the process the girls brother... In an attempt to save her... Lost his life."

She glanced at Saben, "Those are the events that must have led up to Miss Griffin disappearing. She must not have returned home after her recovery with the collage... But as far as the cult the assassin belonged to, Saben has a better knowledge of it. They have been a stumbling block to my family for years, even in our homeland."

Valkery nodded slowly as she listened to Alexis' account. "Well, it seems that despite you having apprehended the assassin, Miss Griffin still ended up in the hands of this cult. I encountered her on the street today in the care of a priestess of the cult. They've done something to her, I'm sure of it. The Eleanor I knew would never have willingly joined a cult like that. I need to know whatever you can tell me about this cult, What their intentions are, how they operate, how they might be controlling Eleanor," She said. She realized she was leaning forward and took a moment to collect herself, sitting back in her chair and folding her hands in her lap.

Alexis nodded to Saben Strahd and he stepped forward to give his report.
"The cult worships a weakened deity known as Bastellen. For the past couple of centuries he has been amassing followers and endeavoring to gain enough power to resurrect himself from his tomb. For some of his followers he lures them with special powers and artifacts, parts or relics of his own ancient armor and weapons."

he raised his right hand to illustrate, "The assassin wielded both gauntlets of Bastellen, and used these as weapons to slay Miss Griffin's brother making use of void magic fueled by blood."

His face turned grim, "I am not attuned to matters of the spirit as my lady is, but I know Bastellen well. If she were not prone to corruption herself Bastellen would have held the soul of her brother hostage in order for her to swear allegiance to him, as it seems that must have been his goal."

He looked down at Madame Valkery, "Just as the gods of this world work... He made her promise her soul to him in exchange for the soul of her brother, so that when she dies she will be bound to him and his fate for eternity. Mortals, The ultimate prize. Passing in flesh but immortal in spirit. And if she is still alive and with a priestess of Bastellen, then Bastellen does indeed have a new... Willing... Follower."

Saben stepped back and Alexis continued, "Bastellen has been an enemy of my house and family for generations. When a mortal swears their soul to any god, they are bound as if by spiritual chains to that being. Saben was once a slave of Bastellen as well, his soul promised to Bastellen without any hope of escape. A powerful tool of the gods is making their followers believe that they have no choice, that once the contract is signed there is no going back. But the God our family serves was able to break the chains from Saben's soul, and He could do the same for Miss Griffin, if she chooses to believe in Him.

• Yay
Reactions: Quoril