Dreadlords Young Relic | Vel Anir

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
Because of myself and others. Lysander was clearly proud of his involvement in the Revolution, and so Drederick would need to tread carefully in how he approached any discussion with him - at least until he really made up his own mind about the situation. For the time being, he remained quite thoroughly planted on the fence, but was content to go along with it and use it to whatever advantage he could while it lasted - however long that would be.

"That is correct, the little excursion I embarked on with House Virak was a couple of years off from when I was expected to graduate... like yourself I would have done so by now, I'm sure."

He might have even graduated at the same time - Drederick was expected to accelerate through a number of the courses due to a particular affluence he possessed, but that opportunity never came.

"Do you not find it strange, Lysander... what is one supposed to do when they are made into a weapon, only to have no one wield them?"

He ate of his meal, savouring it.

"I see these children laugh and play, but I feel nothing. I am not glad for them, nor does it anger me to see them. I simply feel nothing for it, it means nothing. I was never meant to sit here with you like this, I was meant for one thing Lysander, and so were you," another bite, almost finished now, "perhaps the old way needed to change, but what purpose do I serve now?"

It wasn't as simple as a question as it seemed - there was a great depth in what he asked.

What did it all mean?

Lysander ate as Drederick spoke. His gaze still forward.

Your questions are valid.” Lysander said once he was sure that Drederick had finished. It was rather ironic. The two were extremely reserved, private individuals. And now they were talking about something so philosophical, something that was hard for even Lysander to grasp. Talk of the future, of the past, trying to figure out meaning? It was a heavy topic.

I didn’t enter the academy until the age of nine.” Lysander shrugged. Perhaps that was why he was different? Because he was only there for eight years? Kalix had been there for twelve, and there was a vast difference between the two brothers and their beliefs.

But I remember what they did to my brother, if I made a mistake, the proctors hurt him. It was more effective to get my to behave. Of course, they still tortured me, just like how they did with you.” Lysander glanced down at his lap, staring hard at his thighs. There were scars there that would never heal no matter how great the magic was.

I serve Vel Anir now. Not a Noble House. But the actual city itself.” He had finished eating and with one hand gestured out to the children playing before them. “This is the reward of my servitude. I serve the people.” He nodded once to himself, after all, that’s why the Republic was created, was it not? To actually get the dreadlords to serve the city and to not tout themselves as glorified battle mages for the house.

Someone said, if you have an ox, it will carry what you need. If you beat the ox, starve the ox, then it will grow weak and not carry as much as it could. By taking care of the ox, not beating it, making sure it is well fed, then you will get the full potential of the ox and it will carry more for you than it had when you had first bought it.

“I think this can apply to the future of dreadlords.
” Lysander uncouthly wiped his hands on the fabric of his pants and stood up. “Believe it or not, Drederick, but my hands are stained with blood and the stain will only deepen. It is my duty to kill for Vel Anir for our just and noble causes. I know Vel Anir is safe when I see our future guardsmen playing with one another instead of killing one another.” He began to walk now.

I will show you to my home. I need to meet with my captain.” He did turn to look at Drederick. “I will say, you have every right to be uncertain with your place here, after all, you didn’t get the chance to graduate. But. The system is different. I forget things or an unsure of others. I still have that gut reaction to gauge other dreadlords, to wonder if I could kill them. Even now.

Drederick considered the things Lysander had said, and weighed them against his character accordingly. He was not sure he agreed, but for the moment, he would only nod his head as though he did and finished his meal. Finished now, and with Lysander's desire to get going - he had superiors to report to, after all - Drederick stood and followed after him to his home.

It did interest him to know that Lysander still felt as he did, still felt those inclinations toward death.

"I'm sure for those of us who survived the academy, those thoughts will never diminish..."

Lysander was right, quite right. He had been tormented behind those walls, he'd been tortured and broken - or so one might think. He never believed himself ever truly broken. ..

Or was he?

An interesting notion, that he had in fact been far more affected by his experiences there than he had originally chosen to believe. He dismissed the thought almost as quickly as it came, and instead returned to focusing on his next move after being shown his dwelling: meet with Ventress. He needed more information.

"... how does your brother find the academy since the... changes?"

Lysander easily lead Drederick back through the neat streets of Vel Anir, people clearing a part for the two of them for the most part. Lysander did wear the standard armor of the guard, and while it wasn’t obvious that he was a dreadlord in the guard, the glint of metal caused people to give him space.

Kalix is…” a slight pause as Lysander went to collect his words. “Confused.” The last time he had seen his brother was shortly after they had won the revolution. They had discussed it in hushed tones, short explanations. Ultimately, Lysander saw in his brother’s gold eyes a look of dismay and even a hint of distrust. He hadn’t seen Kalix since.

I look forward for everyone to have equal opportunities. I think Proctor Novgorodoff still does his lectures on how equality and fairness is a construct the weak have created to debilitate the strong.” Another pause, and Lysander looked over at Drederick. This time his indifferent gaze was hard, cold, calculating.

We had class under Proctor Novgorodoff’s together, did we not?

Drederick Ventress Siena

"That does not surprise me, he was always such a pompous prick..."

Drederick had always harboured a particular dislike for Proctor Novgorodoff. Drederick's opinion of him was one of those who cannot do, teach. There was plenty that he did do, though, and when it came to Novgorodoff, memories of his lectures were not what came to mind first.

"... yes I believe we did. Tell me, did he lose what was left of his hair?"

Lysander’s lips quirked up, the first time in a year since he had actually dared to smile. He looked over at Drederick, a glimmer of humor in his blue eyes for a brief moment before his face steeled and he looked how he always did.

He still has his beard if that’s what you’re asking.” He said cooly, a faint hint of mirth in his tone. Not long after the two had arrived at the small and humble that belonged to Lysander. He had grown up underprivileged for nine years, and at the academy it’s not as if his circumstances improved drastically for his living conditions. This commoner’s home was more than enough for Lysander and as he unlocked the magic lock on his door and opened it for Drederick to walk inside, it was clear that Lysander did not spend much time here.

Everything was neat and tidy, but incredibly empty and lacking any sort of warmth. A utilitarian home through and through.

Please, make yourself at home. I will set up a cot. If you need anything and I do not have it, tell me and I shall amend that. But for now, whatever is mine, is yours.” Such a strange thing to say, something a dreadlord most certainly should never utter to another.

Drederick Ventress Siena

Drederick took a little while to look around and familiarize himself with Lysander's abode. It was much like he had expected it to be, simple and clean. It was probably Lysander spent very little time here to begin with, and beyond that what need did a Dreadlord have for possessions that had no use beyond being seen.

"...But for now, whatever is mine, is yours."
With his back to Lysander, the corner of his lip curled up some. Is that so.

It was said the tongue was the most treacherous, for it knew not the power of the spoken word. Drederick did.

"You are most kind,"
he replied, "I'll not burden you for long, surely I will find a place in short order in a city such as this."

He swept his finger across a bare surface. Clean.

If you need any help,” Lysander began, “let me know. Some parts of the city have changed…” he glanced over Drederick. Yes, some parts of the city would be much different to Drederick, who probably wasn’t used to seeing elves actually walk about the streets of Vel Anir.

He looked over at Drederick, and raised a dark brow.

Drederick, I don’t mean to be rude but… would you like to take a bath?

Drederick

• Yay
Reactions: Ventress