Fae Courts While the cat's away the mice will get murdered

Threads open to all members of the Fae Courts group
"I might be, or I might just be someone obsessed with luck, like a gambler. You seem to already have made your own guesses, so rather than correct them, I will let you find out through experience. It allows for better learning, you know."

Macari stared at her intently for a moment locking eyes with her. He was unblinking and seemed to have cut off everything else in the room before smiling satisfied.

"I have decided...I'm not going to take you to the Erlking. I have no loyalties to him. Besides, he has never really liked my kind, so no reason to help him now."

She wasn’t a runaway. In fact, she was a member of the Autumn Court. But she felt like she didn’t need to correct Macari. Since it didn’t matter anymore.

“He hasn’t?” Liked his kind. She didn’t know the history there. The Erlking was all about keeping the balance. Perhaps leprechauns tipped that balance?

Uncrossing her legs, she scooched off the bed and stood. Testing her weight. Flexing her bandaged arm. It appeared as though she’d be alright. Fingers ran through her unruly strands of hair, pushing them from her face.

“If you plan to stay in this court for long, my advice to you is to be careful. Don’t upset the balance too much. Where do you plan to go after here?”

Macari shrugged as he watched her closely, making sure she would not suddenly pass out again. He was not a bad healer, but she should definitely get her wounds checked by someone who actually practiced the arts.

"Well, I mean more my court." He moved his vest to reveal a tattoo on his chest, one of many, that was a small black sun. "The dawn court to be specific."

"I'm always careful, my dear...I suppose I'll head to wherever my feet take me next, or maybe I will let the ley lines choose."

Oh, the dawn court.

That was interesting. She checked and saw all the things she'd come into the tent with were still on her person. "I've met someone else from your court before. Have you heard of or do you know Isiell?" She'd called herself the Fury of the Dawn.

Fraeya was curious. She knew it wasn't like all members of a court knew each other but it was worth asking. She began to make her way over toward the exit of the tent.

"I don't believe I've ever spoken to her, but I know of her. I thought it was interesting when she did the whole switching courts thing. It's not easy. The 'fury? That's something. I suppose I will have to find out if the name is worth it."

Dissatisfied with his attempts at tea brewing, he turned back to clean up the set. Maybe it was the set. Yeah, that had to be it. It couldn't be him.

He never turned his head back but spoke up once again. "So where are you heading to now?"

"Have you switched courts before," she leaned casually against one wall of the tent, next to the partially open flap of the doorway. And she knew it hadn't been easy for Isiell, either. She'd learned a surprising amount from the other fae. And she had to wonder if she was still alive. Probably revelling in causing mischief wherever she was.

Chewing lightly on the inside of her cheek, she answered his last question.

"I didn't lie to you, earlier. I am a citizen of this court. I'll probably go home from here." A small shrug of her shoulders. "And as for the one I took the place of. Who will stand-up for humans in the fae realms if I don't?"

"Me? Never. Although, there was a time when I found myself...unassociated. Eventually, circumstances encourage me to choose a side."

Macari seemed satisfied that the tea set was safely put away and then, with a snap of his fingers, it seemed to vanish from the tent.

He was just about to respond to her second comment when Fraeya continued to speak and made him pause in thought.

"Do you truly believe you can do anything? Forgive me if I come across wrong, but the fae world is unforgiving. I am one of the few that appreciate your sentiments, but what will taking the place of one unnamed pit fighter do?"

"Who knows?" She shifted away from the wall of the tent. "Perhaps nothing. Maybe it made a difference to that one person. At least for a little bit."

She knew better than anyone to tip or keep the balance was sometimes as small an act as the wind shifting directions. Perhaps a drop hitting an already filled lilypad.

A low tip of her chin in the fae's direction as she went to leave. "I'd wish you luck in your travels but something tells me I don't need to," a brief smile flickered across her lips. Then she took her leave. Alive for another day.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Jinx
Macari chuckled to himself as heard the flutter of the tent door open and the girl leaves. His eyes flashed for just a brief moment with golden power.

"No, I don't believe it is I that will be needing luck in the future...Oh, the adventure never ends."

He simply sat in that position for some time, giving the girl plenty of time to leave. "Well, I think it is time we start moving, ourselves."

He forced himself to his feet and as he did, the tent started packing itself up around him. Where would his next stop be? Maybe the north, Amol-Kalit had some interesting happenings going on. So many options. So many stories.

• Love
Reactions: Fraeya