Fae Courts While the cat's away the mice will get murdered

Threads open to all members of the Fae Courts group

Fraeya

ensnared
Character Biography
Link
The sharp tang of magic being used made her nose burn. Winter was supposed to be a time of less stress. More freedom around the boundaries of the Autumn Court. Why? Because the Erlking was gone. And Fraeya was looking forward to this upcoming season the most because of the deal she’d made with the King not too long ago. All because of the attention brought to her by his idiotic son.

She'd have a respite of not worrying about him calling in his bargain.

The wooden box, no, cage she was in swayed. There were holes around the box. Enough for her to see that she hovered over a maze-like arena by magic. A vibrant green eye squinted through one of the holes. The floor of the maze didn’t look solid. Some sort of liquid with perhaps some ledges on the sides. She had no idea how deep that liquid went; she hoped it was just water.

Sneering, screaming, and clapping voices shifted her attention to the crowds of fae and lesser fae that filled the stadium-like seats around her. And they were not above-ground. It was some sort of underground facility. Lights provided by magic, fairies, and the natural glow of stalactites far, far above her head.

Was she even in Laigin anymore? She had to be in Autumn Court still because of the deal she’d just made…

She knew not even Delun would be able to help her now. Even if he, too, wasn’t vacationing somewhere else. There was a chance maybe Raphael…no, she was on her own.

Her cage swayed and for a moment her view changed. She caught sight of several other suspended boxes. Other humans like the one she’d taken the place of? Lesser fae? Criminals from other courts? Just thinking about the other human she’d taken the place of made her blood boil.

She could count the number of fae that weren’t pricks on three fingers of one hand.

“Greetings, greetings,” the announcer’s voice boomed through the wide underground structure. More magic, no doubt. “Place your bets now because our champions are about to face off with the dreaded Serpent of Liagin!”

How was she still in Liagin?

Fraeya braced herself against the box-like cage as it swung again. And for the first time, she noticed there were deep claw marks on the inside. Whoever was in this before her had certainly tried to get out. She had to wonder if they did even as the box's floor fell open beneath her feet and she went plunging downward into the waters of the maze, below.

What was Macari really doing here? Well, he had heard from an associate of a friend's friend's ex-lover that something was going down tonight in Liagin. It had not taken much effort to figure the rest out after that. Just one word here and some misdirection there and he found himself near the back of the crowd watching this entire spectacle. It was...disgusting.

Don't get him wrong. He loved a good party or something, but to degrade humans to animals was a bit classless in his opinion. Especially when they were so clearly being set up like lambs to the slaughter.

"Poor souls" He mumbled under his breath.

Maybe he could help them somehow, but it would not be easy. For starters, the maze was warded up pretty tight. He might be able to break through, but to do it without any of the countless numbers of degenerate fae here would be difficult.

He did have one way unique to him and his kind. Something that bypassed puny things such as wards. He confidently walked over to the bookie. He was running a little low, but this was a good chance to win it back.

"Put me down for...5. For..." His eyes looked over each contestant letting his instincts choose the individual help. He had to be sure to pick one unassuming. Someone that could not have high odds to win.

"I'll take that one." He pointed to Fraeya with a smile. As he placed down the bet, he let his innate leprechaun magic take effect. It might not do much, but it would tip the scales ever so slightly.

"I really do have a heart of gold."

• Bless
Reactions: Fraeya
As she dropped she didn’t have time to worry about if the water would be deep enough that she wouldn’t break anything. Water engulfed her as she hit. Luckily it was plenty deep. And thank the stars Delunn had taught her how to swim. Limbs kicked and grabbed at the water as she clawed her way to the surface.

Air hit her lungs as she made it. With a grunt, she swam to one of the low ledges that lined the sides of the water passageways and pulled herself up. Rivers of water streamed down her face and sopping clothes. Blonde hair stuck to her face and skin in funny angles. The ledge wasn’t even wide enough for her to sit on. She had to stand with her back pressed against the wall.

Chest heaved as she caught her breath, green eyes flickering to the cheering and jeering crowds. Their attention seemed to be elsewhere and a scream confirmed why. The water in her passageway seemed to shift and pull. Perhaps there was some luck on her side because where she’d fallen the creature hadn’t been.

It was on the other side of the maze, guessing from the direction of the scream. Whatever it was, it was huge. Fingers reached up and pried the wet scarf that hid the Erlking’s tattoo from her neck. It was a threat and a promise.

She tied it around her waist, instead, and began making her way deeper into the maze, wondering if she’d run into any of the others. Glancing up again, she felt a draw to a particular person in the crowd. She couldn’t explain it and for a moment, her eyes locked onto the darker-skinned male.

Macari felt the girl's gaze lock onto him for the briefest of moments. It was such a long distance away, but he still felt that they locked eyes with each other. He smiled a big toothy grin and simply pointed to the left and then mouthed the word, "Run."

Macari could not do much, but the least he could do is get her farther away from that thing. It was made of water, so if he was down there he could help, but...that seemed like it would make things worse for him.

• Haha
Reactions: Fraeya
There was a lot that happened and Fraeya wouldn't be able to say how long it actually happened in. Moments when she thought the serpent would swallow her whole felt like eons. And at the same time the twenty-some odd years she lived would flash before her eyes in a flicker of a span of a second. But it always happened to get distracted. Or to just miss by about a quarter of an inch.

It was...strange.

And as she stared down at the prone form of the beast. Her dagger embedded in its skull, her own body covered in the creatures mucous and blood. One arm limp and bleeding at her side where one of its fangs punctured her skin, she could just stare at it. Afraid that if she blinked, she'd find that she was dreaming.

That it would come back to life.

Even the crowd's rush of applause and roaring seemed far off as her body began slipping into shock. She slowly sunk to her knees on top of the dead monster, having enough sense to pry her bloodied dagger free with a sick-squelch. The wards and magic around the maze dropped. And she didn't feel it as two fae came to collect her. To bring her up to the crowds.

These events were truly barbaric...that did not mean the Macari was not on the edge of his seat the entire time cheering for Fraeya. There were a few times when he thought that was the end of it for her, but she always managed to just make it. He was going to take credit for that.

As soon as the match ended, Macari collected his winnings and then rushed down to the maze floor. He made himself look like one of the workers of this underground operation.

"I'll take it from here. You two look like you could use a drink, my treat."

The luck magic he had used to help her was a big investment, but his intuition was rarely wrong. He had a strong feeling that this girl was worth it.

The voice of a third brought her out of her shock-spiral. At least for now. Green eyes narrowed on Macari as the two guards agreed to his proposal with a shrug and left them. She gripped her bloodied-dagger in one hand and didn't hesitate in pointing it at the fae male.

"I've served the bonds of the bargain," she said evenly. "I don't owe you anything more." The hand that held the knife toward him trembled. More from fatigue than fear. Stars, she felt as though she was seconds away from collapsing. She needed to get out of here. She took a half-step forward.

"Hey now, let's calm down. You don't owe me anything, but you look like you could use some help. Think of it as my thanks for helping me."

Macari was the picture of perfect calm as he continued to move towards her. He had his hands out in a nonthreatening manner. They did not have much time until other people came down here looking for her.

"Think about it. I just helped you survive that creature. Why would I come down here to kill you now?"

When the guards were far enough away, Macari dropped his illusion to reveal his true appearance. He gave a polite bow towards Fraeya.

"I think this could be the beginnings of a very good friendship."

"Helping yo-," her voice trailed off as his disguise dropped. Golden-brows lofted. It took her a longer second to realize it was the one she'd locked eyes with in the crowds.

"You helped me?" Her arm was still bleeding and numb at her side. Hells, she hated to think what would've happened without his help. And she knew better than to say thank you. Giving him another hard-look, she slowly lowered her knife.

In truth she was too weak to hold it up anymore.

"I need to get out of here," she said quietly. Before she owed the arena masters anything else. Because she'd been speaking the truth when she thought this male was a guard. She didn't owe them anything else. The crime ring or arena guards. She'd paid her debt by surviving the maze and killing the creature. But if she passed out here? If they promised or gave her anything? Then she might become in debt again and she didn't want that.

"Who...are you?" Her knife was sheathed and she'd begin to trail after him out of the maze and hopefully, out of the underground arena.

"Well, you can just call me Macari, that is what friends call me."

He made long confident strides out of the arena. He had a demeanor that said he was supposed to be here, and that anyone who said otherwise must be in the wrong. Macari's eyes kept flittering about his surroundings checking to make sure no one was going to sneak upon him.

"Mind if I ask how you found yourself fighting some sort of water snake?"

He had to remind himself that he could not walk too fast, or he would leave Fraeya in the dust, with her injures. Those were going to have to be taken care of, but he needed a peaceful spot to help with those.

Macari. That was an interesting name. And she couldn't quite tell if he was just being a smooth talker. Or if he considered her a friend. She wasn't going to question it too much. Not now as she felt her legs wobble. Her feet stumble.

She was so...lightheaded.

She must've lost more blood than she'd realized.

"I'll tell you, in exchange for some information. What brought you there in the fi--," black dots began swimming in her vision. Growing and growing until she found herself collapsing to the ground as darkness took her completely.

"Information? What could harmless me know that could help you..." Macari heard Fraeya collapse behind him. He sighed as he turned on his heels to look down at her body.

"This is why I wanted us to move faster, you see. Look at me, I'm not really the carrying type." He ranted to himself.

With a grunt, he leaned down and lifted her up. "Oh, you will definitely owe me for this." He continued on his way out of the arena. At least with him carrying her, he could layer an illusion on top of them both. He went back to the guard get-up that included. He began to whistle a light tune as walked by a few guards, giving them each a polite nod.

The guards shrugged as he passed, unable to see the cargo he carried. In fact, no one stopped him. They didn’t seem to care about folk leaving and were more interested in who entered. And not even the fading noise of the crowds left behind in the cavern seemed to be able to rouse her.

It was sometime later when she finally awoke. She shifted slowly. Eyelids fluttered open. Her throat was dry. And she still felt bone tired.

“Where are we?” Her gaze darted around, trying to reorient herself.

Fraeya would find herself in a decent-sized tent with various ornaments hanging from the ceiling. Macari looked over from his position of a pot of some type of boiling stew. "Oh, look who has decided to join us."

He walked over to her while offering her a small cub of water. The tent they were in was dirt brown in color and had a hazy atmosphere to the room although there was no clear fire. Even without the flame, the atmosphere was comfortable. Almost too comfortable, as the tent seemed to encourage calm and peaceful energy in the room.

"This is my traveling abode. We are just outside of Laigin. Sorry about that, but I prefer to sleep in my tent...cheaper that way." He began to eat from a bowl that contained the hearty-looking stew he had made. There was another bowl next to him that also contained some of the stew.

She slowly sat up, looking down at her cleaned up clothes. Her arm was bandaged. It was still a little sore but not like it had been. Blonde-wavy hair shifted along her shoulders as she moved. The changeling looked between the fae male and the offered water.

She knew better than to thank him.

Relief flickered across her face as she heard where they were. Still in the Autumn Court. Reaching forward, she took the cup and tipped her head silently. Bringing it up to her nose, she took a cautious sniff.

All fae to the Changeling, except Delun, were dangerous. Even if he, so far, had clearly not wanted to kill her. "A chef, a traveler, and a gambler, hm?"

"A fae of many talents. I learn as I travel, and I have traveled quite a bit." He said with a laugh.

He moved the bowl over to her side before getting up to clean up around the tent. "Although, I could say the same about you. A young girl, now freshly victorious pit fighter, and bearing the mark of the Erlking. Very curious. It makes me wonder what you are doing here." He explained as he motioned to her now exposed neck.

Macari did not seem worried or afraid of the mark she boar. He simply continued cleaning the area. Don't be confused. Only a fool would not respect the Erlking, but that did not mean he had to be afraid of him. In fact, he was sure he would like to meet him one day. Of course, that one day was hopefully far down the road and on amicable terms.

Legs crossed as she took small sips of the water, eyeing that bowl of stew hungrily but making no move for it. Cup lowered, fair brows lifting on fair skin. She glanced down at the exposed tattoo along her neck. The inking was quite elaborate as she knew the magic was.

He was very astute.

Her eyes tracked him as he moved about the tent. It was clear this really was his home. He knew where everything was. And he seemed very at ease.

"Here as in Autumn Court or did you mean back at the pit? I'd also like to know how you were at the arena. You don't seem the underground crime-ring type."

"Here, as in, a young girl who has the mark of one of the most dangerous beings in Arethil while also for some reason fighting for her life in a pit." He responded while looking back at her curiously.

"As for myself, well I can be any type I please on any day of the week. Today, I was a gambling type. Maybe tomorrow I will be the austere type, who knows. My feet take me to where I should go. All that matters is that today I was the type willing to help you...Ah, found it."

He pulled out from beneath some blankets a tea set that seemed to be a hodgepodge from different sets.

Putting the water down, she picked up the spoon to the stew and dipped it into the bowl, swirling the contents slowly. Her eyes never left Macari's movement around the abode. One elbow came to prop on her thigh, her palm turning to cup her chin.

"I made a bargain to take someone else's place in the arena," a roll of her shoulders. "They probably didn't see the mark before they agreed." She wondered if they would've changed their minds. Perhaps. Perhaps not. They knew the Erlking cared most about the laws of balance. And a bargain was a bargain.

Even if that bargain would end up forfeiting his if she had died.

"Oh, so I should add the title of hero to the list of your accolades? Tell me. Why would you risk your life for another."

The way Macari asked the question made it seem much broader than the specific event. Like the concept of self-sacrifice was foreign to him. For the most part, it was. He had seen plenty perform the selfless act, but it was never something that the fae traveler could wrap his head around.

"I suppose I need to deliver you have to the Erlking?" He turned around quickly to face her so that he could read her reaction to the question. Was she perhaps a runaway?

"Hero," she shifted uncomfortably at the accusation. Then a short, humorless laugh. A shake of her head as she brought a spoonful of soup up to her mouth and blew, cooling it down before taking a bite. "Doubtful. Maybe I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe I owed the person I took the place of. Maybe I don't care about living anymore."

It was NONE of that. She was just tired of the fae being jerks to those who couldn't stick up for themselves. But she'd never say she was a hero. A hero would've changed things by now. Done more than take the place of one person.

Her empty spoon pointed at him. She had no fear in her gaze or surprise at his proclamation to deliver her to the Erlking. "What makes you think you could deliver me to him?"

Macari could not help but grin at the challenge, and he shook his head in amusement "Well, the easiest route would simply be to inform him of where you were last seen. I'm sure he has plenty of hunters that could find you...Of course, I could subdue you or something, maybe put you into a deep sleep. Then again, that seems like a lot of work for me."

At this point, Macari was making some sort of tea, but the things he was brewing did not seem to have any rhyme or reason to them.

"So, I take it that you are running from him? That is not an easy task for anyone...unless you were really really lucky."

Another shake of her head and another bite of soup. Her eyes danced with amusement. "If you managed to get an audience with him I doubt he would care about where I was." She was just a mortal. And he had an entire court to rule. A wild hunt to command.

What was one mortal girl?

"That does seem like a lot of work for you, doesn't it? Especially likely when there would be no reward at the end of it." Blond-brows waggled briefly in his direction. Another bite of soup.

"I'm not really running from him. But since you bring up the l-word. And since moments in the maze seemed to be a little too good to be true. Let me guess. You were behind that?"

"Fair enough. If he is not interested then no point really. Although, maybe I should just do it out of the kindness of my soul." Macari shrugged in acceptance.

He poured himself a cup of tea and blew on it several times before he took a sip. Macari's face twisted in disgust before putting the cup down. Note to self, do not try that brew again, whatever that brew was.

"Well, I like to think so. I don't have any proof of that, but things just work out when I ask."
He said with a smile.

She placed the stew down, setting the spoon in the bowl. Arms crossed as she looked him over from where she sat. "Do what exactly?"

He'd spoken of doing it out of the kindness of his heart. Did he mean return her to Midir if she had been a runaway or did he mean something else? One arm uncrossed and she began holding up fingers in the air one at a time. "Let's see. One, you're a wanderer. Two, you're speaking a lot about luck. Three, could it be that you're a leprechaun?" Fraeya had grown up half her time with Delun and she had access to a lot of scrolls and fae lore. And of course she'd read everything she'd gotten her hands on as a matter of survival.

She certainly didn't know everything about leprechauns or even if he really was one. But she knew enough to guess.