Completed To Know and Write of Blood

She stood to the side of Helena. Watching the micro expressions flit across the Knight Sworn's face as his Captain yelled at him. Something about how the air around Valborast clung to him and the coppery smell of blood bit at her nose, had Petra's proverbial hackles rising. But movement out of the corner of her eye of a familiar figure had her turning to take in the agitated form of Rangvaldr Tal'deneshaar. She raised an eyebrow at him from across the clearing. Tracking as he made his way closer to them.

Her brows furrowed as she read his lips. But she was thankful for the excuse to escape this very awkward and tensive dressing down. Excusing herself quietly, she slipped away. Exiting the sandy training grounds, she felt relieved to be away from that conversation, wary over the reaction of the Knight Sworn, and yet a little proud of herself for overcoming and walking away from that spar with new knowledge. Even though that Knight's magic had made her skin crawl.

On her approach to Valdr, she gave him a toothy grin, "You missed a very interesting spar match. I'll give you one guess as to who won."

Rangvaldr Tal'deneshaar Valborast Valchek Helena

• Popcorn
Reactions: Selene
It is important to note that Captain Helena, of Dawn, rarely yelled. In fact. Save for the summons of the Knight Sworn, her volume was near quiet. Intensity, after all, demanded attention. An intensity had little to do with volume. The high noon sun, as it were, did not scream. It simply was. High above the world as it burned with a certain intensity.

The Captain of Dawn stared down the man who she had so readily reprimanded. Scanned him for any more of his peackockery.

The response. Perfectly clear. Rang true.

"Very good," The youngest captain the order had ever known replied with a curt nod, and the tension of her taught posture slacked some as she huffed out a hot breath. "I advise you check in with one of the order's healers, Knight Sworn Valborast," she added, her eyes closed for the moment before they came open again and stared at the bloody man. "For injuries, as well as for any possible... corruption you may have incurred from your uncontrolled exposure," she nodded. She was young, but she had seen it before.

The occult come loose of whatever binding had held it in place.

"I trust you to see to the proper handling of the corrupt materials, Knight Sworn," she added. "and I will be writing to the Captain of your Sanctum with such expectation guiding the nib of my pen," she said with a finality. She stared at him a moment longer, nodded one last time and moved on with her day.

"Petra Darthinian!" she called out to the eavesdropper, without so much as looking to her or the allied knight she spoke with, "Next time you have your over-grown scaly horse in our Monastery, I expect you to send a proper request before you have that temperamental draconian enter our grounds!" The snap of her cape as she strode away left little room for rebuke.

Valborast Valchek Petra Darthinian

Last edited:
Stunned by the truth of things, muddled by the growing understanding of the self sabotage he had co-authored, Valborast's hot temper was drained of all fire by the cold waters of the Captain's direction. The illusion of control had been shattered by stern word yet wise council. There was help to be had. Yet it was not grasped easily, for vanity snapped and contorted his mind. But the truth besieged Valborast from all directions. He could not escape that he had been rendered a liability. Shame ruled his mind, coloured by the snarling creature of hate that he felt dwelled within his frame.

How much have I been corrupted by my own refusal to let past foes die?

He slowly walked, as if exiting a war zone, his eyes distant, his clothes tattered. A tremor of hate flickered about his lips, a snarl of loathing that lashed out as his mind looked for anyone to blame but himself.

The vows he had sworn kept him in check, and drew and quartered his own sense of self importance. The oaths that had reforged him served him now in this moment of crisis. Redemption was possible if truth be obeyed.

Valborast's pride drew daggers against his own tattered sense of dignity, his scorn for his own weakness, his own folly. The years of possessing such foul blood was as a serpent that constricted his true self, and he shuddered at the feeling of not knowing what was his own untarnished soul. The chill of despair was replaced by loathing that lashed out at all things inside of him. He had been undone by the very thing he wrote of, and he felt the writhing sensation of self loathing for his sorry condition. Shame stained his mind, and his hands felt numb as they gripped the breastplate that was so shattered. He breathed deep in ragged breath, his eyes looking down, his face contorted by the assault of the truth. He squared his jaw and with each footfall felt as if he walked through a desert.

How could I be so blinded by something I deemed myself expert in. The folly of it!

He made his way to the apothocary.

Anger rose as burning oil upon a grim brine, all illuminated blackness that consumed itself in hot spats. He found his hand upon the grip of his blade for comfort. It tightened and relaxed, with each thought of how he had been scorned by his old enemies, how he had invoked the ire of his Captains. Was there a chance of redemption from this shame? He closed his eyes and thought of what was true. The order. The way of honour.

You are nothing without us, so called Knight.

Valborast shuddered, and tightened his grip upon his sword. He felt the compulsion to draw it against an unseen enemy. For the first time he was truly aware of the voice that dwelled within him, a voice unseen yet harboured. Adrenaline coursed through him. He felt his heart beating furiously. The temptation to draw his sword was overwhelming, but his vows kept him true.

I serve the Order, not you, vampire!

He looked down.

He looked down and saw that he was not holding his sword at all.

He gazed in horror as he witnessed his thumb was upon the vial of blood, poised to release it.

A voice clamoured in his head like a slamming portcullis.

DAMN YOU

Through monumental effort of will and obedience to his vows as a knight, he snatched his hand away from the vial of blood and slammed the door to the healer's lodge open. Anger rose against himself, but this time it was a blade to be used, his own weapon. Valborast spoke with a confidence that was shaken by the adrenaline within his body, as the taunting voice wracked his body with tremors of compulsion. He spoke to himself in loud tones, as if beset by foes in the field, as if hatred was the only weapon he knew how to wield, hatred for what he had done, hatred for his own state of corruption, hatred for the vampire that burned hot and true to the course of honour that had made him more than a servant of the dark.

I am a knight sworn of Anathaeum. I am the instrument against corruption of the forest. I will not suffer this insult against my humanity. I will not be undone by you, parasite! Healer! I need a healer lest I be undone by this wretched thing I carry so foully!”

He looked down at his hands and was close to the point of weeping.

His voice became afeared, mourning his own state of existence.

By the Gods, help me!

Syr Marden sat in the apothecary in his very familiar spot on the old wooden stool near the supply boxes he had claimed for himself. His ever present companion Basker lay near his feet, tail occasionaly thumping against the stone floor. Marden reached his calloused hand down and gently stroked the young pup’s head. He couldn’t help but run his fingers over the dogs muzzle to feel the cleft palate on his upper lip. He feels his own lips curl into a smile thinking about what he’s been told of the dog’s appearance, that he looks as though he’s constantly snarling. He imagined it would make an intimidating appearance for a large black Borzoi as Basker had been described to him. It was in complete opposition to his sweet and calming nature as long as no threat was present.

Marden returned his practiced hands to the task of winding clean bandages back into neat little bundles, feeling the familiar soothing vibrations of the magic permeating throughout the room. He was becoming lost in his own thoughts again when he heard the door suddenly swing open and slam into the back wall. Marden nearly jumped off his stool in his suprise. He wasn’t nearly as caught off guard by the loud noise as he was by the sudden invasion of such discordant, angry magical vibrations coming in waves from the individual that just entered the room. It must have startled Basker too because he felt the dog sit up against his leg and become tense.

Marden heard a firm angry voice state “ I am a knight sworn of Anatheum. I am the instrument against corruption of the forest. I will not suffer this insult against my humanity. I will not be undone by you, parasite! Healer! I need a healer lest I be undone by this wretched thing I carry so foully!”

Marden was confused, he couldn’t feel the presence of another person standing in the room. But upon focusing his senses he realized there was more than one source of discordant magic close to the distressed person in the doorway. It felt both like a corrupted object and being, strange, very strange. The familiar irony smell or blood wafted over to his nose along with a far older and more acrid stench. This felt dangerous and Marden felt compelled to call out to the stranger and figure out what had just invaded his peaceful room.

“By the Gods, help me!” The scared tone of this man cemented Marden‘s thoughts.

He turned his head in the direction of the door and gave what he hoped was a reassuring smile.
”Good afternoon.” He said in the calming tone he used occasionally or his patients. “ May I be of some help? If you don’t mind my saying so your magic feels a bit off.”

Valborast Valchek

Last edited:
Valborast felt the unflappable tone of one who was accustomed to attend the dying, the fraught, the panicked, the unguarded from the throes of pain and suffering wracked by fate to endure and recover by their healing direction. Such was the duty of the healer, as Valborast knew from his own experience and training, as all knights must attend the duty of the healer in their studies and practice. While some knitted wounds with surgical tool, and others guided healing light to soothe and bolster the heart to heal, Valborast himself prevented blood loss in his own application of healing to patients, in the vigil and fight against the ignominy of death.

The ignominy of death.

How many times have I prevented blood from spilling out from open wounds during surgery? Such is my duty in healing, so often applied. My skill. I must attend myself in this. Don't let the blood release, no matter what deception lies. I am my own patient. And I am attending a foul patient. But I must not let it die here.

Not until it be properly interred.

Valborast's forehead was dotted by beads of sweat, his frayed clothing and bloodied chest was evidence of a struggle, yet this fight was an internal struggle against the thing he had harboured for so long. Eyes clenched shut to give precious darkness, a darkness that Valborast knew all too well. A darkness he was born into and rose from. It would normally be a comfort, but shapes formed in that darkness, whispers that took form in rune and word, and so, Valborast unsealed his eyes and stayed within the world to fight on in what way he could.

He looked upon the healer Syr Marden. It did little to rest his heart's panic and heavy beating that deafened his ears, a sound that reminded him of the uncertain days of combat freeing himself from the underground vampiric city of Zakron, but he knew that he had been heard, there was help to be had. There was a comrade to be relied upon. This was a truth. A truth he held onto as he was beset by foulness.

Valborast blinked as images tore from past to present fresh, new and now, where there was the face of a dog was the face of a monster that had snarled and attacked him in his youthful days before finding the order. Shaking his head and exhaling deep to grasp at sanity's beacon in the ocean of uncertain images, Valborast felt as the full extent of his confusion did sally forth from the castle of the vampiric blood he held contained for now by his own will.

Syr...Syr Marden,” Valborast said, his mouth assaulted by the phantom taste of blood. He gritted teeth and thought to ask for water.

I shall contend without. Let me be familiar with what I contend with.

I have three vials of vampiric blood, thrice cursed, on my person. I barely contain the seal. It has...”

Say it damn you.

Say no lies.

Speak truth.

Be the knight you became, not the thrall you once were.

The porcullis within his mind slammed again with the crashing sound of three screaming vampires that compelled him to alter his course, to weave a thousand lies, to divert the fate that was coming to them, to cheat their death and to render Valborast an asset, not a jailer, to their existence. Voices that could be heard now in the physical realm as whispers, whereas the Crimson Knight heard it assault his ears in screaming tones that demanded:

SUBMIT. FREE US.

Valborast reached for his sword and checked that it was indeed his own blade that he clenched. An idea formed from the memory of hearing such intonations from vampires, that screamed for his death in mocking, arrogant tones. The will of magic, the domain of light. While Valborast was a sworn knight of Dusk, the light served him in his purpose. The dark was his home. Yet light had freed him from the coils of subjectification and given him providence in battle against the kindred.

He tore the blade open and planted it within the ground with a clean thud as one might before pledging allegiance to a lord or vow. Valborast's palms went to the flat of each side of the blade, and compelled his own magic to create sunlight about the blade. His eyes stared deep at the sheen of the metal as it became bright as daylight, illuminating the room in small measure. This magic was pure, yet it flickered in intensity as Valborast felt the vampiric energies try and contend with such a display of dominance.

The vampire spirits seek freedom, we must not let them have it. Rebalance the seals about the vials, I implore you. I...I cannot be trusted with such a deed. I am undone by their infectious whispers. Quickly, before mine own light fade.”

The three vials of blood dislodged themselves from Valborast's belt in fractions...slowly snaking their way in wriggling motions to be free. But they felt the light that would abolish them completely should they find a way to be free and grew still, yet patient, ever patient. They lurked about the knight's belt on his waist, three vials of thick vampire blood that rushed about themselves in animation.

Valborast redoubled his efforts to create the light about the blade that seared his eyes with pulses of daylight as he thought of only one thing even as voices beset themselves upon him.

Do not let them free.

Syr Marden

Syr Marden felt the pangs of empathy gnawing at his heart as he recognized the man’s voice. Iv’e heard him a few times before. he thought. We have only met briefly but the way he speaks. His mind recalls the name Valborast. Thank the Gods for my memory where my eyes fail.
vampire blood you say? And cursed at that. What a heavy burden to carry. Wherever did you find a thing like that?”

Leaning back and reaching behind him Marden finds the familiar textured grip of his staff. This staff was no ordinary weapon. He had searched high and low for just the right blacksmith to make the rod to his specifications. It was heavy and made of solid metal. At the top it curved into two sharpened prongs. As much of a burden as it could be to carry at times it magnified his peculiar brand of magic. With the help of his staff Marden pulls himself up off of his stool and begins making his way towards his poor, beleaguered brother in arms.

As he gets closer the familiar smell of blood and sweat gets stronger. he can hear the man panting and feel the strainined vibrations of Valborast‘s magic trying to hold the vampiric curse in check. This discordant magic was both from within and without. “What a mess” Marden thought. Fighting your inner demons and your foes at the same time will eventually result in a loss. Time and painful experiences had taught him when to retreat to a place of strength But this man’s curse likely followed him around and gave him no chance for reprieve.

”Some have told me that my magic causes them to feel strange but do not worry, that is normal.” Marden tried to reassure his patient as he kneeled next to him at what he hoped was eye level. “All right, let us see exactly what we are dealing with.”

Marden strikes the bottom of his staff hard on the stone floor and immediately it begins to vibrate. A low, barely audible tone rings from the staff making the air feel almost heavy. Marden sets his mind to thoughts of finality and summons the resolve akin to a father on his last nerve with his impish children. He feels the vibrations course through every part of his body and in his blood. He reaches out and places a hand right on Valborast‘s breast plate over his heart. Feeling the dents and scratches in his armour. “Take some strength from me my friend.” Valborast Valchek

Last edited:

The pull to simply curse out this man for asking such a question. That anger was easy, all too easy to indulge. Valborast's lips curled ready to spit venom. To speak of the tragedy of it, of the blithe ignorance as to how he acquired the three vampires kept in check by his will. By his dominance. But the facts remained. Honour remained. Valborast contorted his features back to neutrality. He remained silent for a moment and gave loud exhalation, as if pulling out a lodged arrow in his frame.

Old foes. Old foes...” Valborast explained lowly. It was enough explanation for now. His eyes were upon the blinding blade he had created. Darkness was scant to be found in his stimuli. He closed his eyes for fear of blinding himself permanently from the blazing light that filled the healer's lodge, the after image of light to his vision was enough to break the visions of monsters that would undo him as he closed his eyes and felt the chill about his frame. The sunlight that resounded through the blade offered no heat, yet it was as purifying as a searing surgical tool to the infection that threatened to claim Valborast wholly.

Kneeling, vulnerable, yet poised as the snarling tiger within the cage, Valborast felt the hand upon his chest. At first Valborast was as a fortress, years of denying others the ability to assist him for fear of being exposed as someone who harboured such hateful denizens of his own mind. Not that he had been aware of the full extent of their corruption. Valborast had thought himself to be the one in control.

But when dealing with vampires, there was no price too high, Valborast paid, to own yourself. He thought of the searing blade of light he had wielded against those principalities of darkness, against the thrawl, against the lightning fast agent of blood and darkness he had bested. Barely. And now came the time again to fight them once more. But this time, Valborast was not alone. His hand went to the one upon his chest and pressed it further into him, as if the world of the physical could be compelled further so he might draw deep from the well of magic his comrade offered.

He felt the assuring clarity of power uncorrupted, of power pure that guided true, that quelled the tremoring waveform that was Valborast's own ambition to be, and to be unfettered, unconquered, unbroken. That same anger rose again, but this time, as before, it was a weapon, drawn now, hot to the touch, something which was evolved further than a simple reposte of anger. It was scorn, it was hate, it was loathing against the kindred that had insulted him so. Pride. Pride in his own deeds and his refusal to submit.

He gave his address to the spirits, to reality, to the ebb and flow of magic, for it was through intent, ambition, will and dominating command of the fabric of the ethereal forces the Knights of Anathaeum lay command to that guided Valborast true.

Truth. Honour. Decorum. Solidarity. Service.

These words battled with the precepts of the vampire that gnawed upon his marrow.

Deception. Survival. Duplicitousness. Sabotage. Selfishness.

Forgive me,” Valborast breathed, both to his comrade, his order, and to the vampire spirits that did not understand what was already in motion.

Valborast struggled to rise to full height even as the weight upon his shoulders grew more heavy for the energy that was now commanded. The domain of Loch swirling within his soul as the waters commanded became sanguine and animated, as the domain of Death harboured the words of chambering the creatures of undeath, of commanding the vampiric energies that Valborast knew as kindred, as the domain of Life swirled around him now further bolstered by the healer's touch that stabilised his will to magic, as sunlight poured from the blade.

For Valborast knew that there was only one way to balance both tribes within him. The corruption could be destroyed, this much he knew. But how much of himself would be lost in the writhing, dragging, death throws of one who was afraid of death beyond mortal acceptance. In these moments, he thought of Simone's words again, that the vampire was afraid. And creatures who preyed upon fear would not be undone by it. They were afraid of total dissolution, and this was true of the three vials that quailed at the sunlight that was bursting forth from the blade as it kept the vampiric spirits in check.

The curved blade that Valborast held was now enthralled by the swirling magic, pulsing in sunlight, of pitch black, of mysterious opal as Valborast did what he deemed was required to save himself, his order...

...and the vampires.

The vials of blood opened and Valborast was now in pitched battle against them, the three screaming vampires failing to understand that this was not their moment of freedom. This was not Valborast's moment of weakness. This was a continuation of the same decision that he had made in keeping them but in further step. The blood remained within the vials, yet the spirits spoke, they compelled Valborast to free them completely. But Valborast, bolstered by the magic of his comrade, the stabilising effect of Syr Marden's powers and abilities, addressed them in terrifying booming tones that spoke the way a vampire might to prey.

Hear me and obey, vampires vanquished. Hear me and be afeared, vampires crushed. Hear me and face your choice! Exist as I demand, or we will all be denied existence at all! ”

At once the vampires screeched and sent forth an assault of demands, screaming murder, clamouring for death, hungering for his blood, thirsting for his soul. Valborast had invited damnation by harbouring such vials of blood. And now, he invited a further damnation with the only method he saw to silence them, to seal them away, to render them a source of power.

The blade before him was to be their new prison.

What choose you, vampires? Death, or to slake your thirst as a blade, the four of us, together, for when the Order demands! Choose! And you,” Valborast said, his eyes locking with the one who helped him so.

Syr Marden,” Valborast said with a mad smile that could not be seen, for Valborast knew that this was his throw of the die, he could be undone and the vampires could potentially overcome him should Marden rescind his power of stablity, as the magic surged beyond anything that Valborast had commanded in unison. Already the white strand of hair upon his head was growing in depth, his hands became more withered, as the terrible cost of what Valborast was attempting to do was already having a toll.

Help me seal these cursed creatures within the blade, matched by powers of Loch, Death, Life, help me be rid of these interlopers, and lock away the corrupted part of my soul,” Valborast declared, his voice sensing the victory and defeat that was close at hand, “help me serve the Order as only I know how! Or else my soul be damned! Lend me your power to do this terrible but necessary deed!”

Syr Marden

Marden felt his magic thrum and meld With Valorasts own. He swore he could feel the desperation in the air mixing it all together. He felt a hand place itself over his own. “Forgive me.” he heard him say. and then Valborast began to rise and stand on his feet. Marden rose with him. He felt Valborast’s magic begin to rumble like a stampede. He heard the sound of corks popping and the smell of what Marden now assumed was the vampire blood, became almost unbearable. The smell of perpetual rot unable to completely decay.

“Wait… what the hells is he doing!?” It was all the time he had to think before the air began to swirl around him and he heard voices as if they were passing by his ears. The words were garbled together but the discordant vibration around him was enough to put dread in his stomach and make him nauseous. He didn’t have to understand the words to feel their intent. HUNGER, FEAR, HUNGER, FEAR, HUNGER, FEAR. Marden‘s own fear washed over him anew as he began to grasp the severity of the situation. Valborast had done the equivalent of trapping three hungry, powerful wolves into a pit and slowly starving them. They had not hesitated to feed on their handler.

Valborast spoke again. “Hear me and obey, Vampires vanquished. Hear me and be afeared, vampires crushed. Hear me and face your choice! Exist as I demand, or we will all be denied existence at all.”

“Oh no…has he just jumped straight into the pit?” Marden thought as the wind began to pick up around them.

“What chose you, vampires? Death, or to slake your thirst as a blade, the four of us, together, for when the order demands. Choose!

Marden’s blood began to rush in his ears.”What is he thinking?!” Marden did his best to sort through his thoughts quickly. “Valborast could very easily die. What then? What are they capable of without a host? These maddened spirits could easily drain him dry and then go searching for other prey.” Marden’s thoughts briefly flashed to the young squires studying their lesions mere rooms away. Marden‘s anger rose at Valborast’s choices but the choice was made and the magic could not be let free.

Marden cracked his staff upon the stone floor once more and raised his vibration as high as he safely dared. He knew if he raised his own vibrations too high his body could begin to rip itself apart. In his mind he conjured his own ferocity as a wolf made of stone, stalwart and unyielding. He dropped his staff to the ground and clasped both of Varborast‘s forearms.

“This is beoyond just the two of us!” Marden yelled over the rushing wind. “We need the other healers! Basker!” He called to the dog who was yowling in distress for not being able to get close enough to his master. “Go find Joasi! Bite his arse if you have to! Get him in here! Go!”

As he felt Basker’s presence exit the room he turned his full attention to his rouge patient. “Hold on Valborast! Help is coming!”
Valborast Valchek

Perhaps she had been too harsh on the Knight Sworn, Helena thought as she mulled over the scene from moments ago. Was she right, to have acted in the fashion she had? Was she right to have even allowed the man to see to the blood himself when he had already shown so much risk. To a stranger. To his fellows. To himself.

What room was there for doubt with such a matter.

She had acted.

She had trusted in her Sworn kin and placed the weight of his vows upon him.

Yet, what of her own duty as a Captain?

These were the thoughts that plagued her as she patrolled the grounds. Eyes ever forward, upon the horizon before her and all it brought. But on this eve, she felt clouded.

Corruption.

Was that not the threat it posed?

A stir in the wind. A thrum through the earth that spanned out underfoot. Helena felt something shift in the very mantle of the world around her. Imperceptible save for the faintest of pricks at the back of her neck. A feeling that seemed to sink into her very spine. As if some quill hook had bit into her and now the thread at its end pulled, ever so.

Her eyes turned and saw the healer's hut one moment in the near distance. Lit as it often was by the soft glow of candle fire. Had Valborast made it there?

And why had she come to this place. To check on him, of course. To ensure that the order was followed. To ensure that... he was in good health. As she should have from the very onset.

Her brow knit unto itself as doubt bubbled in her gut and she began to turn away. A girl's doubts. A child's insecurities. Her Sworn kin bared the same weight of vow and honor. Who was she to doubt...

A surge of light. Incandescent as the sun itself, beamed from the hut. Helena turned, wide eyed, only to have her eyes sting with blinding pain. Tears welled up to her defense, and she raised her hand up to shield her eyes. Her magick surged forward, her eyes veiled by the light of the loch, a shimmer of silver and blue, they only allowed her fragile vision to not be lost in the wash of light.

Rooting into the earth, her magick spread through the ground beneath her. Sensed the devouring presence from within the hut. The swirl of Life and Loch and Death in a maelstrom that hissed and gnashed and crunched. She grit her teeth and ran forward. The dog emerged, emitting a sense of dread, of urgency, of desperate need. Helena willed the Wyld toward him as she closed in on the beast.

Peace, creature. Find others of our pack.

A pause between them, brief, and Basker hurried off. Helena braced before the door, let her well of magick tangle and spread beneath the earth of the cabin as she closed her eyes and whispered words most hallow.

Venerable earth. Oh ground we stand upon.
Oh titan that dwells deep in yawning slumber.
Wake now. Stir.
Lend these meager ants but part of your bounty.
A seed of strength.
A garden to harvest.

She felt it there in her own heart. She pulled Zenith from its scabbard, the enchanted blade alit with the green magick of wyld and the golden magick of life. She broke through the door with eyes shut. For she knew of Valborast's potency with light. She knew that no meager veil of Loch she could sheathe her eyes in would resist the exalted light of the Crimson Knight.

She took up her blade, eyes shut, she saw as she could through the field of wyld she had laid beneath them. But approximations of bodies and positions. Things rooted and tangled with the magick that grew and spread now. A power, effervescent in the room, full with the smell of blooms and pines and earth. The vanquished foes did whisper and tear at her ears, and her face did contort with the effort that came with her spell. Still, she took Zenith in both hands and she turned it downward, raised it up with a heaving shout and plunged it into the wood of the floor with a roar as she bent low to one knee.

Floorboards creaked and groaned and cracked as wyld root and tangle circled about the three knights. Buds popped and flowers bloomed along vines that did run up Helena's sword, and raw magick was there for them to draw upon, as nectar to all who could sup.

"You do not stand alone, Crimson Knight!" The captain shout. And her mind already meditated on the very light of life that poured from her fellows. Her own mind seeking to harden that shimmering power into a skin around them, something that might repel the ravenous entities from devouring her kin.

Valborast Valchek Syr Marden

The corrupted essence of Valborast's soul, the vampiric taint that marbled black the knightly being that had been so led astray by his own desire to harvest wisdom from the vampires, this soul lingered at the precipice of his own created crucible. Intensely blossoming in it's intent, so infused by the bolstering magic on display, magic swirled and was as verdant as the forest that surrounding this sanctuary. This home.

Valborast's grip tightened around the hand upon his chest. His own blade shimmered with sunlight that shifted in tone to the setting sun as Valborast's efforts faded the light by design, now glowing orange and glorious. Daylight. The bane of his foes. The guardian against his harboured enemy.

Valborast beheld with fading vision as he felt his magic become more powerful for his comrades' efforts, and he knew that there was now truly a chance he might enact this deed with aid of his comrades own substantial powers. For this was what was required of the ritual, a dimming of the light, and immense energies to be commanded. His own body stabilised and halted the immense power draw upon his own mortality, but the damage was done. He had aged and withered, his hair now thick with white streaks, his muscles atrophied, his eyes bloodshot.

Energies swirled in confident paths of their various domains, the domain of death as a sphere that wreathed itself in black tendrils that snapped and clung to the vials as if set to hurl them to their doom. It held them tight. And then snapped at Valborast's frame. As nature sprang and coursed through the ground, Valborast dared to bid the lore of life to protect what was left of his own corrupted being as it rushed to claim what was deemed what was left uncorrupted of his soul, before the domain of death latched upon it to rip it from it's moorings. This ritual was vampiric in origin, the act of diabory, to not only command the blood, but to command the soul that lurked within the vehicle, it's vessel, so as to gain a further knowledge and power, this was forbidden even to the most corrupt vampire who sought the worst fate.

YOU DARE COMMIT US

Valborast spoke a rebuke, assured in his vision even as his eyes bled, even as his hands trembled, his voice was sure, confident that he would be able to be of service to his Order.

I dare to command us, you three and I, damned, bound in sinister embrace, forever, contained! You should have been more obedient, more fearful of me, parasites! For now, you will be an instrument. Just as I am, in honour, in blood, in soul!” Valborast spoke and his hand went to the vials. And before the final gesture, he gazed at the light, the nature, his comrades and thought deep in fleeting moments where he could truly say he was one.

I exist as I am. But no longer after this.

What comes after this?What shade of an existence? Cohabitation?

To be forged into something anew with villains for cellmates to the blackest part of me in a purgatory that serves my Order true!

So be it!

The vials shattered, subsumed by the domain of death as it clenched it's claws about the containers, and Valborast acted as he was best equipped. In the command of the domain of Loch, Valborast compelled the blood out, out, out, his own and theirs. The vampire's voices and wishes were drowned out by the overwhelming environment of magic, by the sunlight and nature that they sought escape from.

There was only one place to escape. One place of refuge offered.

The blade.

Emotion rocked Valborast as he felt his soul tear itself in great ribbons that mingled with free flowing blood from his wounds from the fight with Petra.

Valborast screamed. He screamed in agony. He screamed in defiance.

I will feed upon all we are, vampire, and so serve this most bitter end!”

His hand compelled his own blood and the vampire blood at the behest of the domains he so was gifted to command. The sunlight about the blade split, leaving the raw steel available as their new home in a column. The blood began to collect, drop by drop as it sizzled upon the metal as it was etched by the arcane ritual that vampire society held forbidden, from the vials, from Valborast's own body. To command and imprison blood within another, this was the most unholy of vampiric abilities.

The man was tearing himself apart, thread by mortal thread, making incision against his own soul to cleanse himself, in a spell that might entomb not one soul, but three and some measure more.

And with a gasp that choked his voice, he felt himself be torn in consciousness, one part of him aware that his body was cold, firm, and the blood and sunlight that surrounded him. And the other that stared back at him. For one all became as steel and sanguine liquid that rushed around him. For the other, coldness and stillness as the vision split in two, and individuality was once again achieved.

Valborast collapsed to the ground, all traces of his magic now fading, as all that was wrenched from the mortal plane of existence in mysterious trappings of blood now were contained with the weapon as the blade shimmered crimson, grew bright as freshly spilled blood, blackened, and then fell still and mundane as the component souls became one.

The knight's bloodshot eyes looked up in horror as he heard his own voice call from the blade, as it sounded as if it were being drowned by an ocean of blood.

And with it consciousness left the original frame of Valborast, as darkness overtook him, even as the voice of his corrupted self joined with the other three corrupted, and began their new existence, together, forged, bound, contained, trapped, weaponised in hate, pride and bloodlust.

Syr Marden Helena

What rage and roil and swirl of soul and blood and tooth and claw and steel screamed across her ears. Filled her whole being with that most chilling thing. Fear. Of many face and many name. Yet its touch always seemed to feel the same. Light or heavy handed. Nails first. Plunged in. Popped the tension of surface and skin. How it chilled her. Took hold of spine. Spread across bone and marrow. Frosted over her heart and welled about the hollow of her chest. Drowned her as her Sworn kin screamed in his blood red defiance.

Still. She held on to her sword. Still. She held on to that crystalline sphere within her mind and heart and let the lens of her soul pour light through it. Drew in the well she had laid her own roots in.

A schism.

A tear.

The ice of her own horror, that many eyed specter that reflect across every dimple of her frosted heart, cracked and broke just as the shimmer of life turned to diamond around them. A sheen, brilliant as it refracted the hell blaze of the false sun's fading light, gleamed across three forms of mortal flesh. While the sword took all its due, much of Valborast would remain. All of Marden would remain. All of Helena would remain. Save that ignorance that had let her walk away from this Knight that was still her charge.

The stasis that came with such rituals would break. Valborast fell to the floor. The sword fell straight down, its fang stabbed into the girth of root which sprouted there, and its curved tang shimmered crimson.

A single candle remained lit in a far corner. Small flame flickering, defiant against the dark they all found themselves in.

"Valborast," Helena rasped with hoarse breath. Her hands rooted about the hilt of her weapon, arms and legs and joins felt as if they had been entrenched in the earth. Mossed over and immobile. She groaned as she pulled herself up.

Helena's eyes came open, and bore witness to the withered man that lay before her. Her jaw clenched firm, mouth pressed into a grim line. "Syr Marden," she cut, and coughed as she rose and turned to the downed knight. "Rise, there is need for your gifts," she sheathed her sword with authority, and bent low to Valborast, let not the grimness of his condition discourage her.

He lived.

And she would do all she could to see him live longer still.

The Captain of Dawn's eyes came shut and she placed her hands upon his heart. Channeled her magicks into the man and sought to tend to the flame of his life. Feed it from her own kindling. Shelter it from what winds still dared to blow it out.

"Can you correct the flow of his magicks?" she said flatly as she went on with her own efforts. "A discordance of mana can cause failures of flesh,"

Syr Marden Valborast Valchek

Last edited:
After the cacophonous noise had died down Marden felt Valborast slump to the floor. his skin felt cold and clammy. Marden searched for a pulse and found one, it was weak, but there was still life in him.

“Valborast must surely have succeeded in his mission of sealing the vampires within his blade along with a part of himself.” Marden thought for there was now one of the most uncomfortable sensations within the room that Marden had ever felt. He felt what he knew to be Valborast’s vibrations in the room but in two different locations and a two different frequencies. the frequency of the man lying upon the floor was weak and waining while the portion in the blade buzzed like a furiously offended wasps nest. Though the danger was sealed in the blade Marden still felt as though he was in danger of being stung. He felt is jaw tighten in an attempt not to grind his teeth as he did in the throws of his nightmares.

Syr Marden he heard the knight captain address him. “Rise there is need for your gifts. Can you correct the flow of his magics? A discordance of mana can cause failures of flesh.” Marden sighed in relief inside of his mind. Even though Josai was not here with him he’s very grateful that Syr Helena understood these things.

Oh, but her tone. She was trying To hide it but she was clearly angry. He suspected that if Valborast wasn’t in the state he was currently in that he would have had the most stern of tounge lashings for his reckless behavior.

Marden placed both his hands on either side of poor Valborasts’s face, feeling the deep wrinkles that didn’t belong to the voice of such a once healthy man. “In unconsciousness let me give you some peace” he said, as he lowered his frequency to a soft, gentle but steady hum. he did his best to conjure up the images he remembered from a youth spent on the ocean shore. Of warm sun and wet sand underfoot and of the ever present sound of the waves gently lapping at the shore. He felt a part of Valborast respond and match his frequency. He also felt the once weak heart begin to jump with renewed resolve. Marden smiled to himself for perhaps, his patient would live to fight as he seemed to so desire. Valborast Valchek Helena

How curious, a dog that approached her, not out of fear but with purpose. It barked, belly stretched low to the ground, then paced worriedly towards the healer's lodge. When Selene did not follow right away, it stopped and looked back to her, barking again. Did this beast belong to anyone? Familiars around the monastery largely avoided her, and Selene was inclined to do the same. The fact that this one would not let up was strange enough on its own that it got her following it.

Her pace quickened as she grew closer to the locus of that impromptu curse. She could feel it - Helena's aura like the smell of honey in the back of her nose, Marden's leveling tones smoothing over torn auras, and at the center something hot and raucous. Something was being unmade in there. Three needle points pricked into the base of Selene's spine, and she fought back the sudden urge to wretch. No, it was four souls, untwisting themselves in blood and fire, only to be tangled up together once more. When she walked in to the room she saw what she already knew, the aftermath of a terrible deed. Her gaze flitted between her fellow Captain and the crimson knight upon the floor, and the healer Marden who kept him clinging to life.

Selene stepped over root and ruin across the room, forgetting to announce herself in her haste. She went towards the blade in the center of it all, stuck as it was in one of Helena's grounding roots.

"What a curious thing you've all forged," she mused, her fingertips reaching out to touch the bloodied blade, but stopping just above its surface. It gleamed deliciously, a red fruit waiting to be picked. Take us up, the blade said. And we will feed you, feed us, feed you... Selene pulled her hand away, an urgency overcoming her and driving her movements. "Helena, I should not touch this. Wrap it up in something and bring it with."

Valborast, you despicable little man. This curse you have beset upon yourself, there is no cure.

She waved her hand in a beckoning gesture. "Quickly, we must slake the steel while the corruption is still fresh, lest Valborast's work be undone. Marden, don't take your hands off of him. Keep his anima as steady as you can," Uncorking a glass bottle pulled from her robes, Selene put it to her lips and drained it with a determined tilt of her chin. When she leveled her gaze, she exhaled, the breath black as smoke. "What I'm about to do will be... unpleasant."

Sitting herself next to Marden, Selene hovered a hand above Valborast. Liquid gathered in front of her raised palm, black and heavy, pooling in droplets along an invisible cut, as a scratch might bleed.

"What was forged in the light of soulfire must now be plunged into darkness."
A turn of her wrist and the droplets condensed to a thread-thin line, glistening. "Fear not, Knight of my sanctum, though the drink is deep and cold, you will rise from it truer."

If you don't, I'll kill you myself,
she thought, and drove the needle-thin line of liquid straight into Valborast's chest.

Valborast Valchek Helena Syr Marden

Within the seconds of Valborast's mortal frame finding repose in the attendance of their soul, that which had been cast out, rejected, driven from it's moorings alongside the others who would corrupt it and sup upon it's vital blood and indeed, soul, found themselves within a crimson existence, a place of shadow and death, edged by steel and sunlight, a prison, a crucible, a doomed place that few have any sense of. A purgatory of endless will, fashioned by the desire of a knight to be free, imprisoning four, relentlessly faced with one another.

As the mortal Valborast found support from his comrades and mercy, the other contained faced a prospect few might imagine, much less survive.

Hatred layered and folded over a thousand times in an ocean of blood bled, wept and shed for the cause of existence as it boiled and crashed upon the endless waves of itself. A tempered blade of sunlight edge when the cause demands by appropriately sanctified hands, a stream of consciousness that crackled, hissed, bit and scorned the enemy that existed outside of it. Almost all considered enemy. Almost all considered foe. The souls other than itself looked with baleful eye and crashed upon each other in short order after senses were gained and brief conversation was had. The vampiric spirits were short and brief before they swooped in soul against the other.

Only one of us can rule here.

I feel the same. Die. Die!

Draw your will and be undone by my power!

The mortal had much more words to summon before their arcane will, left in knowledge and potency of the blade's blessing and curse was commanded. The oceans of blood that existed within the consciousnesses of the blade trembled at the proclamation of a soul most blackened. The words made the waters part, to command the entirety of this place. For it seemed far more at home within the confines of the steel and darkness than it ever had done in the mortal frame of Valborast.

The voice once mortal cast it's doom upon the scene, before all hell revealed itself to the three vampires that crashed upon each other in a pale imitation of the genuine scorn that the corrupted soul of a knight did command, in power, in malice, in authority.

In life and frame, I hated, in this purgatory, I hate on, I hate still, I hate with all I am, and I am greater than you three in this evil degree and pedigree, parasites. Face me then and feel my wrath to exist, as only mortals care to feel. I am not prey. I am your jailer once removed from flesh. I exist on. Darkness be my succor. Death be my byword. This prison be my sanctum. I exist on in spite and hate and blood and as my former self rejects me, I am reborn, purer, purer than you have wit to comprehend, fiend, devil, parasite, subject, scum. Face me. Face hate as you have never witnessed from my former name.

A moment of silence from the three. The waves became as boiling at the master of this domain's command and baleful edict.

Come then. Face the crashing waves of a man freed of all nobility, all trappings of restraint, all echos of honour. For there is nothing but hate left for you to feed upon. And I have a thirst for your oblivion, a deeper need that shall be slaked by your subjectation. I will not suffer your company. You face a death beyond death. You face that which is riven.

To feed. That is the desire that ruled the three. Such might seem advantage to the three. But a deeper scorn lies within that mortal contained. The other spared this carnivorous appetite but replaced by a thirst for annihilation and conquest for all but itself.

The thought of freedom ruled the three vampires, but to the corrupted soul of the damned human ripped from it's former place and companion soul, this was not the objective. Existence in this form was enough. And such an existence would be bargained against fate and will through sheer force and absolute threat that knew no mercy. If there was ambition of something more, it was silent in this privotal moment, even as all thoughts were unbarriered between them. Discipline ruled this corrupted soul of mortal born existence, echoing the nobility of knighthood in mocking tones that gave it further power beyond it's frame. For expenditure of energy in doubt and fear might leave them all weak to the other. And in this most precious moment, the vampires feared the corrupted shade of Valborast, for it knew the weapons of terror in life far better than they did command in undeath, in this prison. For the mirror soul that incarcerated it understood the meaning of it's removal, the techniques and intent. It accepted death, and so, was reborn. It had memory of what is was to Valborast Valchek, and spared no time in mourning itself. For it was anewly driven, free from humanity's restraint, free to hate, free to kill, free to render it's creators the fate that was demanded by scorn.

What remained, contained, was a shadow of humanity, shackled presently to the grim prospect of bitter and ravenous fellows. It would not entertain such an existence but for a moment, even if that was the intent of the human that cast it in at such a terrible cost to itself. But such as children sharing the womb are often want to consume one another without any grievous fault being committed, this ground of primordial forces is a place to feast upon one another, until one remained.

Such deeds were carried out without clarion call of battle, it was swift, the blood rising and consuming the other, vampire, starved, savage, struck quickly after a brief stalemate. The physical blade itself a horizon that will never be crossed, to be gazed from within, a refraction of close quarter reality turned sanguine battleground. The blood and souls of the contained found themselves contending for space, time, ambition and will. Yet only one would remain, and subsume the other.

Any victory would come at a high cost. To consume another and replace them in the hallowed space provided...this was the eeked existence of the damned, the rejected.

It happened quickly. Soon after imprisonment, the four met in combat most foul, the will of magic and soul sparking within it as it cut at nothing and fed of nothing except itself, becoming more, becoming unified in derision of the outside. There would be no peace between the four. One would remain, changed by the victory they would find for there was no afterlife to escape to, nothing but the satiation of appetite. And while it might seem that the corrupted mortal soul might be at disadvantage in such a pitched battle of savage instinct, it's hate somehow was far more refined, focused and brutal in it's unyielding desire to be alone. For while Valborast thought that all traces of nobility would lie within that which remained within his mortal shell, there was purpose behind the hate that was contained within the blade.

Driven from the place of it's birth, the mortal soul of a corrupted knight awoke with unrelenting hate that at first, the others balked at, dismissed as the anguish of a dying soul soon to fizzle out. But while the others needed blood to sustain themselves in their frame, Valborast's corrupted soul sought much more, and had a far more mature and driven sense of hatred for those it was greeted by in the brief peace between the four of them. Layered like the steel that contained them, edged by sunlight that was the perimeter of their prison, the soul of the corrupt mortal Valborast set about it's blame not against it's former self or the knights that had aided in ripping it from it's former self. No. A clarity of purpose was his.

And so, the corrupted soul of Valborast fed in hatred against his vampire foe, and in doing so, became something...different.

It's first thought was thus that repeated as a pulse, calm, as one voice, pounding, the final words heard and spoken by the vampires, the first words of something that existed within the soul, furious, hateful, observant, malicious, yet obedient and disciplined to itself and purpose. Anyone might hear such a low thrum about it, as it repeated it's words that confirmed it's victory and new existence. The mortal soul was now something else entirely. A predator of the vampire. An ocean of blood that now stilled as the winds of conflict died down.

It spake these words continual, mournful, defiant, assuredly, endlessly repeating as it formed new terrible consciousness, for all to hear as if but an echo of a nightmare.

I am Riven.”

Continued here: https://chroniclesrp.net/threads/for-gods-to-menace-fools.4507/

Last edited: