Knights of Anathaeum For gods to menace fools

Threads open to all members of the Knights of Anathaeum group

Selene

Lady of Dusk
Character Biography
Link
The hollows of Astenvale monastery were winding and duplicitous. Maps did exist in the library's archives, but many were outdated, and few bothered to check them out anymore. The paths that were tread frequently were well lit, kept and dry chambers that contained cold storage, delicate root gardens, and pens for the nocturnal animals the knights kept.

And further in, tangled in the base of the great roots that held up Astenvale's bedrock, were the stranger, less trafficked passages, queer shades of lochlight cast on stone and bark, passages that thousands of feet had tread across thousands of years. One such chamber was the Nymphaeum, cooling pools of water which fed the forest and soothed the worst of conditions. Except the water was not water entirely, and sometimes the pools burned, or froze, depending on what was needed.

Echos dripped off the walls, the only sound save the incessant wailing of THAT THING WHICH NEWLY CRAFTED, SPAKE ITS EXISTENCE. The wail was silent, not heard except by those who listened for it. And unfortunately, it was the role of Selene to always listen to such things - nothing of the cursed or the forbidden escaped her. She sat by the healing vats of the Nymphaeum, watching over the man and the sword that lay therein, mulling over the nature of which was within which.

The Captain of Dusk wheeled back and forth between her own selves. With few visitors and no one to speak to - no one who would understand the width and breadth of the quandary anyway - she swung unpredictably from outrage to wonder, empathy to scorn. HOLY IN THE NIGHT, THE RAGE OF THE RIVEN CONSUMES AND BEGETS AND REVOKES ANEW. And also, as it stood, SCORNED IN THE LIGHT, BURNED AND BURNED AND UNQUENCHABLE BURNING.

Elbows digging into her thighs, she rubbed her thumbs across her temple. Valborast should have used a silver-coated blade, then at least the thing wouldn't be so damned loud. What was she going to say to the knight once he woke up? FOR SHAME, FOR HONOR, FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR ORDER AND YOUR SELFISH GAIN, YOU HAVE NO DECENCY, YOU DID THE DECENT THING. Something like that. She couldn't think, her head was full of terrible thoughts and only most of them belonged to her.

Another vial slipped out of her sleeve, and Selene drank the bitter drought. It cleared her mind in that she was a little darker than before, and could settled comfortably into wrath. The man was a fool. Yes, that was right. He should be dead, but instead he'd done something so utterly and remarkably forbidden that Selene was definitely going to have to mention it. Write it down in a report. Set parameters for punishment and conditions of observation.

No, no no no, had she not been here before, herself? Had a Knight of Anathaeum not taken her hand once long ago, and said to her, 'You can be this, and noble too.'

THAT WHICH REPULSES CAN N--

Selene reached her hand out and snapped the thought like one might the neck of a coney ready to be skinned. She was tired, it was only natural. The waters of the Nymphaeum pulled things like this out of people, drained strings of corruption from the blood and unraveled minds so that they could be knitted anew. She was almost done putting Valborast back together, the part of him that remained in the flesh, anyway. The one in the sword, she could not touch it.

Rumors outside of the Vale spoke of a fountain of youth, eternal springs that pooled in the hidden boughs of the Eldyr Tree and cured any ailment. At least some of these rumors were started by the Nymphaeum. Here in the cradle of the earth, the pools were fed from a tributary of the leylines that ran below, congealed by an ancient process into the closest raw mana could get to a physical substance. It also reeked unpleasantly of biomatter, and caused hallucinations if soaked in for too.

Valborast was long past the point of too long, but it was a matter of survival. Lacerations from the initial fight were only scars now, the vats and the efforts of a round of healers doing their good work. Some fullness had come back in to Valborast's cheeks, and though his hair was shades lighter it still clung to his head. What was more difficult to manage was the fine-line incisions upon that thing they so naively called a 'soul', for lack of a better word. No matter how Selene wove things back together, the threads slipped loose. There were pieces missing, and she was not the one to find them.

If Valborast was going to regain consciousness, he would have to do it himself.

Valborast Valchek

The coma had gripped Valborast had been attended most expertly by Captain Selene. No more favourable a place could have been mustered to give him the best chance to survive and wake up again than had been offered to the knight. Selene's assessment upon the man's character was correct, it had been a selfish act he had performed so vainly, one that had been driven by self importance and arrogance that the knight alone could deal with their own problems. And in the end, it had been Captain Helena and Syr Marden's efforts to provide in such a moment of conflict that had allowed the process of Valborast banishing the three vampire lords and his own corrupted segment of soul into the blade now known as Riven. A blade that seemed to love the sound of it's own voice as it affirmed it's own existence as a child might wail into the world it had been dragged into. But now it was Captain Selene's attendance that saved him further.

In the darkness and light of the coma situated within the waters that provided such hallucinatory affects to allow survival and recovery at all, Valborast existed in pale, shattered existence. Captain Selene gone above and beyond the call of duty to attend his frame and soul, and afforded him any opportunity to rip himself out of the hallucinatory coma he found himself dwelling within.

Thoughts did not rise at first. Only when the water had subsumed him and worked it's magic for long hours did any flicker of dream or nightmare did stir what remained of his bound soul, so recently fettered by the questionable choice Valborast had committed in spite of good reason, and good faith from his comrades and superiors.

But, the thought that did rise, seemed clean. It seemed pure, like freshly cleaned linen, a freshly polished blade, although somehow, in the dream state, it seemed pale and transient. It was bereft of the usual tinge of hate and anger, and Valborast scarcely recognised the lack of spite that existed within the eddy of his own mind as in the sphere of darkness and light that was his own stream of consciousness, a subflow within the submerged liquid of the Nymphaeum's unique waters so utalised to great affect by Valborast's superior. His thoughts twisted and writhed as a dog might do upon waking from tumultuous sleep, stretching and exploring in measure by measure the empty frame that contained his soul.

The thought that rose was this.

I am alone. I must been the one to be left alive. Alive. Given flesh to command. To wield. Unless the others were consumed leaving me, this. But, I sense great power of the loch, of light. No blood. No blood. The nature of the act I so committed...

Oblivion consumed him again as his frame rebelled against such thoughts, and rewarded his reflection with hallucinations about the events that had lead him to this point. Helena's magic seemed as wildfire, Syr Marden's stablity magic seemed as a aqueduct to be carried away by in great heaves of momentum, Selene's own eyes seemed to loom over his soul in both observation, condemnation and attendance. She after all was his Captain, and such thoughts of others, such concern for the opinions of others, seemed a fresh and bitter pill to swallow.

Valborast's mind muddled through the hallucinations and his frail hands did tremor and snatch at nothing as his mind contended with it's new condition. And bleeding through was a faint echo that Valborast heard now clearer for being so close to wakefulness of sentience, if not body. He heard himself. No. He heard Riven. Changed, yet registered in soul as similar to his own. It called out and he heard it clearly now. It had been thrumming through his bones but now his ears did pick up the intonation.

"I am Riven."

Like a ritual, an often repeated behaviour of the devout, Valborast thought instinctively on the proper refrane.

I am Valborast.

As Valborast thought such a thing, the blade now known as Riven became silent as it picked up on the life force of Valborast issuing such a response internally. It was as if a hound had been barking into the dead of night and the brightness of day for any hint of it's master's return, and in hearing footsteps beyond the door of wakefulness, became silent in anticipation. The blade known as Riven was loyal to itself, and had it's own need to affirm that it was no longer Valborast confirmed. Madness abated for the two of them at this answer and call. The blade's former self, it's original home and keeper of the four souls had answered that it was outside of this new thing known as Riven, and so had no further need to continue to call out it's own name, as if to summon itself, as if to guide itself through it's own incarceration.

The blade Riven became silent as it contented itself with it's own odious thoughts and ruminations as the knight Valborast did summon new fresh thoughts for being free of the background thrum of his own changed soul's echo of self affirmation.

There now was more light than blackness within the dream that Valborast existed within. The hallucinatory nature of the waters still marked him so, making elation and delusion a common experience, but Valborast knew that such terrain was not to be indulged in. While he commanded both light, darkness, and had skirted the very fabric of thirsting madness in his most recent casting of souls and blood, he existed now in a state of peace. A peace that could easily yield his own death should he succumb to the plateau of soothing light that tended his frame, mind and soul.

His body became still once more, his eyes looking from side to side as they remained closed. It was the appearance of one within a dream, with a faint hint that a nightmare was overcome as muscles relaxed and that almost ever present scowl and frown that was Valborast's natural expression was dissipated for virtue of his healing vat. For virtue of being free of the worse elements of himself so weaponised against the hope that his fellow knight might help him.

There would be time for reflection enough within the still cooling waters that sustained him.

Time passed. Thoughts were had. Vows were recited. Oaths reminded. The light was present. Selene's presence was understood. He was not alone.

I was never alone.

The thought carried many meanings. For he had chosen to keep his vampiric hosts, that which he had fed and fed upon in turn in knowledge. And he had denied other knights the chance to help him until that most critical self actualising and self damaging decision. That memory remained of his comrades, his order, his domains of magic, and so too was the knowledge and power he might command of such things. For Riven and Valborast both still carried the faculties and understanding of the weave of magic and the nature of vampires and blood. But they now carried very different positions towards on how this power might be used. The cool sense of reason and hope now was allowed to grow within Valborast's unfettered soul, at least, unfettered by his overwhelming need to assert his own pride and dominance. He still carried that nature of pride, but it seemed more assured, less hungry to lash out in self defence and bitterness. Valborast thought in these moments before visions granted themselves to him once again, that if nothing else, he was rid of the worse side of himself.

But not the consequences.

Hands tightened and biceps flexed as freedom was sought. Eyes flickered. Shoulders heaved. Not in a sudden surge, but in small measures that grew. Wakefulness was close. Another wave of hallucinations set themselves upon the Crimson Knight as he attempted to ford the river of consciousness, this time without the unudulations and siren call of himself imprisoned. He was free to think and navigate this place of Loch through his own virtues and desire to exist once again.

He saw Captain Selene's eyes as the canopy to the endless plane of water that he trudged through, his clothes now white and pale, as he fought against the insistence of panic that he was indeed dead, and should resemble in all things an apparition, a ghost.

A sound, an echo of the stabalising and vital source of strength he had relied upon the healer Marden. It reminded him of what he had wrought through assistance of others. But now, he would have to rise alone, shattered, yet unbroken. He thought of his fellow knights. And what was possible, both alone, and with assistance.

He saw the diamond reflection of the water that stretched out forever and thought of Captain Helena's magic, and it reminded him that he had been aided in his effort to create the blade and free him of all malefactors.

Valborast did not reflect on the worthiness of the effort, or how even as he had cleansed and reduced the volume of his soul that he might be rejected by his knightly order. Such things would come if consciousness was restored, he knew.

It's time to face what I have done. I've spent long enough in this state. But how to escape this purgatory?

Valborast's will became still and contemplative. He had been given healing and reprieve. The silence from Riven allowed him to think.

Time passed and many hallucinations were endured. The features of Syr Marden's dog appeared to him in the waters he walked slowly through, and did not bite. They were afeared. Valborast thought to try and alleviate the beast's condition, but considered the madness of indulging in the hallucinations. He had command of some features of the Loch himself, and knew proper etiquette within the domain of dreams and subconsciousness as to not invite calamity against his own stabilising mind. For he was aware that this was a precarious position he found himself, and had he been completely alone in recovering he might awaken at all.

I could call to this...Riven.

Valborast shook his head and stood still within the Loch of subconcious. His physical frame became still as he gathered himself in thought.

No. I shall do this by virtue of what I know. This...Riven, that is to be attended when I am stronger. If at all. If I am even allowed near my former self. I am knight of life, loch and death. I shall summon what I need by virtue that I am good at what I do. And too good at calling out to the damned vampire, and baser instincts of myself. I shall use what magic and...

He hestitated. He thought of himself. He felt a twinge of guilt and expelled it by reciting the mantra of the soldier who embraced death and action in their moments of violence.

Do not regret what you have done.

At least, not in this place.

It's time to stop resting. It's time to face up to what I've done. If I am expelled from the Order, so be it, but I shall serve them in life. Riven, as it is known now, my former self of corruption and vampire lords as one, shall serve the Order. I shall in each deed prove myself more capable than that new existence of corruption at least. After all.

I'm the best.

Careful now as you measure pride against yourself.

Become awake and consider things.

But this was no time for humility, Valborast decided. He measured what was remaining of his soul and his own faculties. He called out first to the domain of loch. He opened the phantom of his soul's hand as it existed within the dreamstate. His physical frame rippled with a tremor of arcane power as it began the process of rousing himself and freeing himself from the containment that had saved him, and threatened to drown him in hallucinatory existence.

I'm ready to return to the waking world, in shame or glory I shall resound in equal turn according to the estimations of what is the result of my deeds. I am the Crimson Knight, I am Valborast Valchek,” the knight spake within his mind as he summoned the lore of Loch to guide him away from this dream through confirmation of his own confidence. No longer was it tainted by the colours of blood and arrogance, it was purer than before, although still too reliant on the idea that Valborast himself was far more worthy in his own estimations of power and respect than was actually the case. Prideful, yet tempered, he commanded the orchestra of the arcane at his disposal.

It answered in small measure, for the fact remained that his soul had been torn in two, and the wellspring of authority had been reduced. But the environment served him, and Captains Selene's presence, both in the physical world and hallucinatory one, reminded him that he had not been abandoned completely. There was a chance of ripping oneself out of this state.

Valborast commanded the sphere of life to draw energy to his frame and mind, to remove the dullness of sensation. He commanded the sphere of loch and life so that he might, in traditional fashion of his own specialty, command his blood to race, for adrenaline to pump, for his reactions to quicken, for his body temperature to rise.

At first, nothing came. But Valborast did not lose hope. He remained as persistant as Riven had been in intoning it's own name. For while frustration and anger had been his fuel before, calm confidence and faith that he had done the best thing, flawed indeed, but the best thing to continue his existence as a knight. The power ebbed from what remained of his soul into his spirit, mind and body. The final sphere, death, was not commanded, except in one small measure. He gave out a pulse to check for his own death, and heard the call of Riven respond curtly.

You are not dead. Changed instead, as are the others, subsumed. I am Riven,” the blade intoned, that could be heard by Selene in such a response in the waking world as it grew contented with it's former vessel's progress in rousing. It was a reminder of the waking world's presence and distance, and Valborast was given some small reminder of the proximity of things in the real world, as opposed to the world of dreams and loch.

The blade became silent and obedient, and loaned no further strength or co-ordination. For none had been asked further by Valborast, and Riven was brooding over what master it should serve from the Order. For loyality remained within Riven to the ideals that Valborast had in wholeness, but tempered by vampiric inclination and power. But Riven remained silent and kept it's thought and intent now to itself. It would wait for questions from another to state it's piece. It knew it's own existence to be solid and that it had been recognised by it's former self. That was enough for the both of them for now to communicate no further to each other. They understood each other's need to be singular creatures of pride, although they were shaded and illuminated different by what nature of soul lingered and animated ambition.

Valborast's frame shuddered. Motion was enacted.

Valborast, inch by inch, as the domain of Loch and Life did aid him, rose from the vat of healing water. He shuddered, and through a monumental force of will, opened his eyes.

Light and darkness swirled around his vision, and no magic did leap and spring from his own command of it. It ebbed away from him in this moment. It was a faint summation of arcane strength, more an affirmation that he could control his own blood and power, reduced as it was, as was his virality of his mortal frame. He grasped the edges of the vat, and was unsure as to what he saw. Hallucinatory visions still pervaded him, but he felt himself breathing, gasping and choking, as if this was his first true breath in some time. His lungs ached, his body ached, not from exertion, but from being so inert for so long.

Valborast breathed between chokes, calling out for outside stimulus beyond himself...that wasn't Riven.

Captain? Captain Selene?” Valborast called out weakly as he was under threat of being subsumed by the pervasive hallucinations that danced before him, visions of black blood, of fire and water, of Selene's eyes above him that burned with the power of moonlight, of the echoes of what was said before. In this moment of wakefulness, he saw the exact lines from his book racing up as they assaulted him. As his complete self wrote in scornful tones of the vampire, and threatened his confidence with the despair that he had, for all his purposes, ignored his own advice. The words scrolled up in flashed that marked everything he saw in this moment, and he snatched upon one phrase in particular that repeated continually.

The words that Valborast saw and marked the waking world were in glowing crimson upon the surface of all things, even any figure that might approach to his dulled eyes that were dilated and hungry for any other source of true light.

'To know of something foul is not to invite corruption into one's heart, it is does not tarnish; it is an act of education that broadens one's horizons, a resource to be utilised to prevent said warping of vocation and integrity to the soul. '

Valborast refused to turn away from them, to fall back into the tank for fear of the truth.

Another hallucination consumed him now, a memory of the past engagement with the one known as Petra. Knives assailed him, lightning crackled from a blow that seemed impending to his sternum, all echos of his combat with Petra. But the Crimson Knight did not try to defend himself, for he was tempered by both the knowledge that this was but the domain of the loch, of dreams, hallucinations and his own memories betraying him. His body sought to fling and fight, but he kept his grip and tried to hurl himself out of the vat.

“Captain,” he said more imploringly, although the words to ask for help were denied to him as he contended with the hallucinations. He felt himself at the edge of consciousness, and was torn between both world by proximity of the water. His hands firmed about the edge of the tank, determination without anger, grit without hate.

The eyes of Selene, both hallucinatory and imaginary, were entirely consumed by Valborast's own words, and Valborast's strained frown returned as his own eyes tried to blink away the hallucinations which threatened to drag him back down into the waters forever, where he might never have the strength to return to the land of the living, the land where Riven waited, watching, curious, silent.

Selene

Last edited:
"Ah, the connection has stabilized."

For the first time in hours or possibly days, Selene's eyes lifted and actually looked at the man in the pool. Vision moving behind the lids, a twitch of the limbs. Conversation. She studied him with a detachment born of exhaustion and waited, patiently, for this new creature that had been Valborast to take his first breath out of the waters.

The breath came with weakened violence, as Valborast tried and failed to drag himself out of the vat. Captain? It was valiant, in a selfish way, Selene decided. To take the monstrous, mad part of oneself and just cut it out. Like the bad part of an apple. Hold your bitter heart in your hand and refuse it at every turn.

Captain.

As if out of a restless sleep, Selene stirred to action at the second summons. She reached in and clasped Valborast under his arms, kept him from plunging deeper into the vat.

"You exhaust me, Valborast!" Selene huffed out between heavy breaths. She gripped him stubbornly. Dragging him all the way out, she stumbled beneath the man's weight. They both fell to the ground, though Selene did not let go. Wrapping her arms tighter around the man, lest he struggle against the cooling air and the doubts it brought, she heaved the both of them up to sitting. "Be still, there is more mana flowing through you than is sustainable."

Though she had been knighted as a Life Pursuant before becoming Captain, she never saw much service as a healer for one particular reason - her bedside manners. Perhaps the gentle touch of Syr Marden, or the cooling confidence of Syr Josai would have served the crimson knight better, but all he had in the moment was Selene: bristling and worried sick.

Valborast Valchek

Valborast felt pale and blinked away hallucinations that wreathed around the image of Selene. Spectral things that clawed and taunted, motes of light that flickered and shimmered. He remained still as instructed and simply focused on breathing. Cleansing breaths in and out. A shuddering of the shoulders from the waves of sensation and chill magic.

I could vent some of the mana in some sort of spell,” Valborast breathed, weakened and frail. “Not sure. Not sure if I should. And I exhaust myself sometimes Captain,” Valborast said and didn't recognise himself in the admission.

We follow your command,” Valborast said, his eyes heavy. He went to rub his eyes with thinning hands, but fell still in remembrance of the order. He did not realise he spoke for both Riven and himself in this moment.

Selene

• Aww
Reactions: Helena
Her grip on the man loosen as he spoke, not feeling him struggle against the simple command. Untangling herself entirely, she propped him up to rest against side of the vat. She unclasped her cloak of starsilk and draped it across Valborast's shoulders, to shelter him from the chill in the air and his relative nakedness.

"We...?" She repeated his word, mulling it over. "Yes, the two of you, now." Riven was sitting at one end of the vat, just above the water's surface. It had been propped up at Valborast's feet upon her request, a twisting coil of Helena's roots keeping it in place. Selene nodded at the blade, a curious tilt of her head, the comet mark upon her forehead gleaming darkly from the moisture on her brow. She realized, for the first time since its creation, that the sword had stopped wailing.

"I believe you," Selene said, looking away from the blade. Rifling through her robes, she pulled out something thin and dark, wrapped in a soft piece of leather. A stick of charcoal. "Surely, you have sworn by the light of the Silver Flame when you entered this sanctum. That light does not fade so easily. But that other one, it has not, and now there is this tricky thing that needs addressing," she mused, scrawling a complex marking onto the palm of her hand. It was a symbol of Death, a draining rune.

"Before we continue, I must know." Fingers splayed, Selene raised her hand, hovering some inches away from Valborast's face. The rune at the center of her palm glowed, no trick of the Nymphaeum's light. "Valborast, why did you do it?"

Valborast Valchek

+2 Approval From Selene

Death was a hand away. Valborast felt his ego pawing for a reliable weapon, a streak of spite, a defiant curse perhaps. Nothing of the sort remained. The only habit that remained was a narrowing of the eyes, a firming of the brow at the rightful audacity of his superior. The right to extinguish him was hers, Valborast knew. He did not shirk or shake.

He looked up and chose his words with exceptional care. His tone was quiet, yet firm. He assumed that Selene would execute him should he falter.

If there was a prayer to offer, Selene was the one to entreat, not any God in the light of this place.

He spoke in calm measure, explaining himself coolly, his eyes refusing to flinch or turn away as he spoke.

No knight can serve two masters. The vampires I served years ago still had hold of me in sinister method, through their blood and teachings, they influenced me. Warped me from humanity. Through the vampire's culture of consuming another to gain strength, they influenced my thoughts as a knight. Bitterness and envy. Power hungry and indignant. I cannot say how much was the vampire and how much was human for all my years of service. My action afforded myself eyes to see without influence, a body free of their taint. I could not tolerate the thought of them transforming me into one of them in any degree. I could not tolerate being the one to bring calamity to my order for failing to expunge the enemy within. I own the decision to claim my soul as my own Captain. What's left of it. I fought for my freedom back when I was a citizen of Zakron. I fought again to be free of them as a Knight. I tore myself asunder, and both sides of me are forever changed. Contained. The side of me that still loved their embrace, their power, is now Riven. That side of me, and the vampire lords I have slain, has power, power to protect and defeat the vampire, I am sure of it. And more beside, with time, discipline, a firm hand, further bolstering of what was wrought.”

Valborast breathed calmly and became deathly still as he continued.

Riven remained silent and attentive.

I thought to free myself and serve the order in my action. If death be my reward for claiming humanity, then so be be it. At least I owned these moments, clear headed, without hate dominating my heart. I serve the Order. And, contained as it is, so does Riven. Let the darkness so contained serve you well, in whatever way you please, should you deem it necessary snuff out my light. Riven is an imperfect blade. I am but an imperfect knight. At least I am utterly human now, instead of enthralled to them, a host that might bring calamity to the rest of the people I care about. The forest I swore to protect. I'm simply amazed I woke up in this body at all instead of entirely in the blade. If you'll have me, I still serve. If not, well. Do as you must Captain.”

Selene

If death be my reward for claiming humanity, then so be be it. The Crimson Knight, imperfect, spoke.

"To become more human..."
Selene mulled over those words, and everything else. There was a faraway look in her eye, though perhaps it could not be seen past her open palm. "...Very well."

Without warning, Selene flexed her fingers, and the rune at the center of her palm gleamed darker still. Valborast would feel mana being drained from him, body and blood. But overflowing with the waters of the Nymphaeum as he was, there would be no pain. Instead it would be like a burden set down, a pressure releasing from behind his eyes and his limbs becoming lighter. And then it would stop, light not snuffed out but a wildfire whirl merely quelled.

Selene lowered her hand. It seemed to cause her some pain, as she clutched it gingerly in her lap with her other hand. Then, a sudden realization overcame her. Of course, she should have told the man some of her intentions. Valborast always had an aversion to the pursuit of Death, not trusting it. Not trusting her.

"Wait, did you think I was going to kill you? By the light, of course not." The cometary mark on her forehead crumpled as she furrowed her brow. "Helena would never forgive herself if I let you die here."

Valborast Valchek

Valborast felt the tension in his wrists and forehead abate, as if the mana that had surged through him had been running in tandem with his own blood, contending for passage and space. A tingling sensation remained, and he shook his hands out as if to complete the ritual that Selene had performed. Death was not his reward today.

He replied calmly, his tone not changing from the manner he had spoken before. “When facing a sigil of death, it's better to assume the worst than the best.”

Valborast took a few moments to gather himself as he clung to the cloak that was about him and appreciate that he had not been killed, both from his own efforts and Selene's ritual. He rubbed his eyes with his fingertips for they stung from the fresh sensation of actual light about him and allowed the threat of death to leave his mind. He at this moment found himself fighting a craving for tobacco. There was something about avoiding death entire that made him want to smoke furiously, to think upon what was next and for Riven. He decided that he deserved such a thing as tobacco, even if his breathing was clearer than it had been for years.

He turned to look at Riven as it shimmered in the light of this place of healing. It remained silent, yet seemed to Valborast as if it was brooding, plotting, waiting. Within a moment his own reflection was cast, shadowy, shimmering, appalled. But Valborast knew not if it was his own reflection or himself within the blade. He locked eyes with the one he saw.

Riven. I have no idea what might happen should I wield you.

Best not betray the trust the Captains put in me. It can wait.

Valborast tore his eyes away from the blade. He meditated for a moment, taking deep breaths. The cool of this place did much to remind him of the coldness of his former home, yet the illumination did much to remind him that he was far away from such darkness.

Darkness. Blood. The chill of the grave. Comforting things, yet reminders of the trappings of his former self. He sniffed the air and sensed that was a lingering scent of copper, the hallmark of blood that he knew and recognised.

It was coming from Riven. Faintly, but it was there now. And with it a tinge of power within Valborast's fingertips at the prospect of blood, his forte, his specialty. It was too alluring to disregard entirely.

Captain,” Valborast said softly, as if he was worried of disturbing a prowling beast that hunted, no mark of fear, but of caution and self preservation. “I think it best I stay away from this Riven for a time. I need to be away from myself. I'll be honest with you,” Valborast said, another sentence that rang foreign within his mouth yet seemed to edify him in the same breath, “I feel compelled to look at it. To...pick it up. I don't think such a thing is wise. It's like staring at your own reflection, only you're not sure if you're the one who looks up from the water or down. Perhaps I need to study the domain of Loch further before I even look at it again. I've lost too much already. I don't want to lose what's left.”

Riven spoke another word, plain speaking, brooding, barely audible, a whisper of malcontent.

“Coward.”

Riven was compelled by it's own burgeoning ego to speak such a thing, but knew self preservation enough not to press the point to compel Valborast beyond this curt and echoing word. Certainly not while the Captain was in the room. Valborast himself now knew discipline now not to retort to the insult. He thought upon this. He had been so quick to respond to insult before, yet now, there was a calm knowing that stayed his mind and lashings of violence towards the world.

Valborast was unsure if such a word delivered by Riven could be heard by the Captain at all. He kept his vision on Selene and looked for direction as he felt the gaze and disapproval of Riven. It was as if it were a doppleganger of his conscience, chiding him for the good, and praising him for self aggrandisation. Encouraging him to take the path to power. The path of blood.

Valborast's expression grew sour as he contended with the word, 'coward' spoken to him so.

No. Don't indulge it. Don't indulge them. Him?

Riven spoke once more, more assertive to the truth of things.

I am He. Him. Not it. I am Riven.”

Selene

Last edited:
“When facing a sigil of death, it's better to assume the worse than the best.”

Mirth crinkled at the corn of Selene's eyes, despite the seriousness of the situation, and her role in it. "That's good," she said in response. "You should write that one down in your book."

The both of them fell silent for some time then, nothing but the echoing laps of water against the sides of the Nymphaeum's pools occupying the space. Selene's head swam and her vision spotted as if she had just taken a rising breath from a cold lake. A normal feeling, for having someone else's mana running through her system.

That same word from Valborast pulled her back to the present, as he made his presence known once more. Her eyes moved to him, and she did not interrupt as he spoke to her, and then to the sword hanging above them. There was a humility to the man that had not been there before, or perhaps it had been buried by a louder force. He even suggested that he might need to study more before facing this thing which he had created.

She did not hear the word spoken by Riven, it not intended for her. But she did feel the swell of discontent which washed over the room, its source hanging above them - that ABERRANT PATH, WHICH NAMES ITSELF AGAINST THE DARK. Black eyes lifted to look at the blade, Riven's gleaming surface flashing like teeth in the dark. Selene scowled back at it.

"Why is it always humanity, or power.
" A whisper was too loud for the way she was in that moment, coppery taste in the back of her throat. Her fingers curled around the Death rune grasped in her palm. "What god made us so weak?"

The moment passed. Shoulders slumping, Selene lowered her head, abashed at her own outburst. "I'm sorry," she said, unfurling her fingers.

Taking up the scrap of soft leather, she wiped the charcoal mark off her palm entirely, avoiding looking at either one of the two while she did so. "You cannot be rid of yourself, Valborast. Any physical distance between you and Riven may cause more damage to the soul. What is needed now is a proper sheath for the blade. Something lined with silver, preferably."

Valborast Valchek

Valborast's right hand clasped at itself, as if clutching for straws that would provide a different direction to take. More crafting. More decisions about what he had divided. A further prison outside a prison.

The thought at first seemed unappealing to the knight, after so much labour already spent. His mind considered shirking the duty, simply walking away. But such was cowardice Valborast realised. He found himself appraising his own mind. The strange way it shifted and turned in contrast to his previous headstrong attitudes.

Cowardice doesn't beget me. Shirking this duty is not acceptable. I owe myse- I owe Riven that much. Otherwise I prove him right in his assessment. Unless Riven is trying to help me come to terms with what I am. It...he seems so confident. Declaring itself so strongly.

I suppose if you take residence with another three and come out as one, well, there is a victory which grants a certain level of self assurance.

Correct,” Riven spake only to Valborast.

What Captain Selene said was true. To sever such ties between the two of them in these formative moments would be folly. Such might damage the link between them, and let each one unravel.

The knowledge seemed to wound Valborast at first, as good as if he had been impaled by the blade. He looked at Riven and the image of being mortally wounded by the weapon remained strong in his mind.

Riven offered no words or sign on how it viewed such a prospect.

That makes a lot of sense,” Valborast said both to Captain Selene and Riven's statements.

The Crimson Knight felt better for saying such a thing. He considered his Captain in this moment, that she wasn't simply a font of power herself, but a human being with her own conflicts, irritations and frustrations. He spoke clearly, with a confidence that came from experience now, yet a softness as if not to invite further rebuke from Riven.

The gods made us meek so that we might have compassion to those who consider us mighty. We understand what it is to be vulnerable, and so, learn mercy in turn, in hopes of our own salvation when we face power beyond our reckoning. And if not, well. There's plenty of strength in solidarity.”

Valborast seemed cleansed by the words so placed. He found his belongings and set about making himself more presentable and fit to the task ahead of him. He gave the occasional long exhalation through his nose, as if he craved tobacco to course through his breath.

"I don't think I'll be putting that particular sentiment in my book though,” Valborast stated, “how to regard death sigils yes. Gods, no. They have books enough.”

He wondered how Parshen was doing as he attended his clothing. He wondered if he would have to wield Riven.

First I must act as myself, and then, with my counterpart, in tandem.

Silver. Silver is required.

Riven grew more tame and manageable, for it knew that it's future housing could decide much. It chose silence and judged on as Valborast finished affixing his robes, tattered as they still were.

Selene

• Sip
Reactions: Lysanthir of Arapat
What Valborast said to her was true. About weakness and compassion. And the truest (strangest) thing was that he seemed to mean the words, from a depth of the man that Selene had not see out of him before, or perhaps she had, but such sentiments were no longer being covered up by something louder. She ought to be happy about the change in the Crimson Knight's attitude, but Selene found herself unsettled instead.

There was no reason to be, she reminded herself. Change was the only natural result from the ordeal that Valborast had put his own soul through. He would be different. He was still a knight of Anathaeum, a knight of Dusk. Those two things would remain true, in concert, and Selene should be welcoming of it.

She was not.

"Don't strain yourself, I will get some better help," She said, her gaze going out the chamber's entryway as Valborast began to take inventory of his things and redress himself. Rising slowly, her head still spinning from the potion drams and the thick vat air, Selene got to her feet.

She paused at the doorway. "Valborast. I am glad you yet live," she said, and then bowed her head through the low arch, not waiting for a response.

As Selene walked, her staff clunked out a steady rhythm, and Selene hummed an old tune to herself, letting her mind wander aimless for the first time in days, thoughts that had been dangerous distractions before allowed to unify now and run amok. When she got far enough away, the tune turned to lyrics, broken as they were.

... But had I known before I'd gone
That love would be so ill to win
I'd lock my heart in a box of silver,

and seal it with a golden pin~

The words echoed through the halls long after Selene had gone from sight, for that was the nature of the Nymphaeum's waters, to remember and refract.

Valborast Valchek