Completed To Know and Write of Blood

Simeon watched the boy carefully. He couldn't read his thoughts but he could tell Valborast was thinking through something. "It's the nature of all living things to fear loss. Some reasonable precautions are always taken in that regard of course, such as the construction of fortifications, training, or avoiding dangerous situations. But vampires, those not consumed by their hunger, betray their fear by their actions and behavior," he said calmly. "I've seen it before, in Zakron, Alliria, and throughout Arethil."

"As I said, all creatures fear loss. But mortals know their lives are finite and so may take risks with them for the sake of accomplishing something great. Vampires are different in that regard, many of the ancient ones have grown accustomed to believing they'll live eternally, but with this belief comes a fear of risk. Once a vampire begins to fear risk, they'll soon begin to fear all things that could lead to harm. Relevant to this conversation is their aversion to teaching their own servants knowledge that could make them more efficient."

"Beyond that, this fear is woven into the very fabric of Zakron. Living underground is an understand precaution given their weakness to the sun. But why is that they've remained so isolated? Even the maddest of Templars wouldn't assault a city of vampires without provocation. Why do they separate themselves from their people by an entire level? Why do they feel the need to use magic to force subjects into obedience? The answer is quite simple; it's because they're afraid."

Valborast Valchek

I'm sure this scholar wouldn't have the temerity to say such a bold statement to the Zakron's elite's fanged face.

Valborast hummed a thoughtful note to show that he was considering the Simeon's words. He looked down at his breastplate as if to remind himself of his own escutcheon in this moment and found great comfort in the depiction of his own crest upon the burgundy armour. He allowed the much of the assessment to simply deflect off his own estimation of the vampires of Zakron, but his armour wasn't quite impervious to the nature of the critique. He began to have to parry such an attack on his opinion of the creatures of fear who this scholar thought were afeared themselves, blow by blow internally.

He nodded his head from left to right, as if weighing up the statement for it's merit, and found himself smirking in disbelief, in refusal to entertain the notion completely.

Clearly he doesn't know the ones I know.

But even as he thought it, he wondered if he even did know them well enough.

He scoffed at his own doubt, for it was but for a moment it was entertained or suffered. His own sense of self importance retorted again, as did his confidence came marching back to stand guard against the degradation to his own truths. But, the damage had been done, and Valborast in the nights to follow would consider upon these words with increasing humility and awareness. For now, he maintained his bravado in his competency in writing this book, his knowledge base.

I have yet to even reach the sections which concern fear. But, perhaps, I should entertain some notion that the vampires do indeed fear some things. They can feel such things. And have been seen, by this one, to do so. They're not all like...

He cleared his throat of a cough that was soon to arrive due to his lack of consumption of tobacco, in the way it made fools of all regular consumers of the stuff. He looked back to his company with self assurance, as if he was indulging his company with his time, as if he was entertaining the notion of his opinion being worthwhile.

That's an...interesting perspective,” Valborast said in a back hand fashion, unaware of how much the council that had been offered to him would yet affect him, for the words had not worked their acidic touch by virtue of time upon his perspective. That would come with exposure to the concept. Time in darkness, to be mulled over, to be considered and appalled at.

“I appreciate you talking at length about this, but, I'm afraid, I must return to the task, in one form or another. Your words and opinion have been most...engaging,” Valborast said, and gave a polite smile to his company, and provided a small bow, and went about to return to his chambers, to find tobacco, and to close his eyes for a few minutes, perhaps hours, to allow his mind some rest from the research, and to allow the concepts to rise to the fore.

And time to read the Captain's tomb properly, a book which he had not yet given the proper time to read. It was almost as if he did not wish to seem like an overly eager cadet, fawning over the Captain's scribed words; instead he obsessed about his own opinion, an opinion that was given a shudder by the conversation with the scholar Simeon, more than Valborast realised he had been vulnerable to.

Time would develop humility, with or without Valborast's permission.

Simeon

Last edited:
Simeon could tell his words had some impact judging from the initial silence from Valborast. He was too talkative earlier to have simply gone silent without reason. It was good, it meant he knew how to think about what he heard. A trait lost on many youths day by day.

That's an...interesting perspective,” Valborast said dismissively. Perhaps he wouldn't think as intently on it as he thought. Only time could tell. “I appreciate you talking at length about this, but, I'm afraid, I must return to the task, in one form or another. Your words and opinion have been most...engaging.” He offered a polite smile at the end.

Simeon nodded politely in return. The gesture of a smile to foreign to him to actually perform. "I wish you well and good fortune in your writing. I'll be sure to read when it's finished." He turned away as Valborast did, beginning the trek back to his shop at the Wyvern's Nest.

A strange boy, knowledgeable in many areas yet ignorant in others. Still he had potential, unlike many other youths he saw the value in reading and research. He would be interested to see what he came up with going forward.

Valborast Valchek

The times of rest in daylight that followed brought vivid nightmares to the one known as the Crimson Knight, his mind conjuring a pitch black tapestry that did spite the daylight he slept within, a tapestry that clung heavy as a battleground; his sword slashed at vainly in streaks of golden sunlight cuts and burgundy parries against the clawing darkness that assaulted him from that obsidian fabric. Things hissed and cursed his betrayal as they lurched forward from the void, their blurred features a product of their unholy speed, their faces unknowable yet all too familiar. Faces with names. Their speed Valborast matched, blow by blow, yet, yet...

Valborast found his feet moving backwards, backwards further in bounding steps of necessity, until he felt an edge to the ground.

This part of the nightmare was all too familiar and well trodden for the man. The fear of being cornered pervaded his mind, just as he had encountered all those years ago when he had performed such actions to liberate himself from Zakron. A flurry of cuts to defend his blood, his choice. And then it came, as it always did, in infinite slowness he was bodied into the depths, claws assaulting him as they dragged him down, and finally, fangs sinking in as his frame sank into the abyss of his own mind as he continued to fall endlessly.

The final moments, a refrain from an audience at the nightmare played out again, an audience Valborast had no words to retort, nothing but the sensation of suffering and crushing sense of defeat. A laughter of an all too familiar voice echoed out from all directions, dry and choking, with the words, “What folly Val. What folly,” being the final goodbye to the nightmare as Valborast roused with immediate motion.

Valborast rolled out of bed as if were aflame, his shoulders pressing him to the ground, his hands beating back that which plagued him, yet he did so without yelp or cry as he tussled.

A few moments of dealing with his own phantoms was enough to bring him to his senses, the feeling of the hardness of the floor, of his own heart beating fast in his chest, of the memory of being in this situation before. He became sober, and his dread was replaced by relief, and rapidly replaced by irritation at having suffered the same fate as the previous two nights.

He stood up, his brow furrowed, his palms upon his face dragged down in exasperation and loathing and he muttered to himself as he sought out his pipe. Daylight had passed, and the moon cast illumination through the window that revealed a path to his smoking paraphernalia. Rich expensive tobacco that carried with it the hint of vanilla and coconut, a purchase that Valborast had made to soothe his mind and carry his scholarly pursuits with some degree of comfort.

How am I suppose to accomplish my task if I must contend with such...visitations?” Valborast muttered to himself as he placed the pipe to his lips and loaded it with lithe fingers. A mote of flame was commanded, and the window was opened to release the first exhumation of the new day. He thought of the progress he had made with Captain Selene's authored book. How it illuminated something about her existence, and made him feel as if she had opened a door of secrets to her very existence. But more than this, Valborast felt as if he grasped the nature of his task more clearly. For if he could illicit such a response from his readers, he would be glad indeed.

A gentle breeze muddled with the smoke he produced. He tapped his pipe and loaded it once more with tobacco and gave a dark hum of thought as he did so.

Valborast mulled over the question, and set his pipe to the task once again. But one satisfactory conclusion was drawn. The knight dismissed the thought of approaching a healer or councilor almost immediately in favour for his path.

“Cleansing violence,” Valborast uttered, as if he expected it to be brought to him under silver cloche.

He looked at his sword and thought of the last time it had been drawn in the physical world. He thought of the work he had recently enacted, and how it might be soon time to train those who would seek advantage against the kindred, not through words, but by example.

The shimmering mists of a combatant evasive, of darkness befalling the eyes of the assailant, of wounds drawn and set to weeping, of speed and quickness without abatement.

Too long,” Valborast said with a comforting smile, as if providing platitudes for the blade's sake. It was a mundane weapon, but one that had been a vessel to his own magics. The lore of light, to cast shadows across the damned souls that might thwart him, the lore of blood, to drain his foes of their vitae so that he might put an end to combat humanely.

If such a word could be used for his own manner of bringing about violence. If his cause was required, he would exsanguinate until the last breath was drawn and shuddered out from pale frame.

Too long,” Valborast repeated, and smiled as he exhaled, the scented smoke lifting out into the cold air outside, his mind calmed by the venture he had decided upon. He would go on to rest his eyes further yet not fall into sleep as his mind was occupied with all the skills and techniques he might marshal in a contest.

He awaited until daylight struck the earth once more, and set about the edification of his own prowess, to fight something that was not phantom, to give rise to the adrenaline and thrill of combat, to expunge his own fears, to try and give his rest some peace for having matched himself against a knowable foe.

The training grounds carried with it the usual sounds, the thuds of arrows sinking into targets, the smacking of wasters against one another, the encouraging calls of coaches, the dismay of targets failed and the cheer of goals accomplished. The air was cool, and the clouds concealed much of the sunlight as they drifted slowly with the fresh scent of moss and the forest to greet anyone who brought themselves out this day.

Valborast's grey shadow blending in tone with the overcast canopy and he walked with the pace of a funeral procession as he proceeded to the centre of the training ground, his crimson robes hiding his footsteps, his outline undisturbed from the effort of movement. It was as if the knight moved by will alone instead of the locomotion of footfall. The handle of his blade was held higher and with purpose about his belt, the steel nestled expectantly within, his mind already performing numerous cuts that were languid and inviting response, Valborast having a cruel sense of remedying countercuts with a quickness that was granted to him by sudden invocation of his blood to act. To defend oneself against the vampire's speed was Valborast's earliest task in combat. The rest came after. To this, Valborast would apply himself first.

If I can find a willing and capable person to spar against. One who won't quail before the challenge. One that will let me enact my methods.

He went into the center of the training ground, the ground well worn and marked from the scuffles that emerged daily to better the martial prowess of the order. Valborast could see the imprints of the previous day's contests, he could detect where body fell, where blade had marked the soil, and in particular, the rare spot of blood from a contest to first blood was commanded. Such things were uncommon, but expected.

How could one train without that possibility.

He waited and breathed slowly as he stood to attention and with expectation. His eyes cast themselves upon those who would walk by, awaiting the subtle signs of a challenge to be risen towards. The wind did not fetter the knight's clothing, and the only sign that he was affected by the world around him was the odd movement of a strand of hair upon his head, and his own eyes moving to receive those who might prove themselves wanting of the sparring. He was neutral in his gaze, so that he might not frighten or to invite the wrong spirit of contest.

Proper sportsmanship will be required, proper tact, but, I must be true to my aim to employ my style, my kindred graces. I owe myself, and my readers, that much.

Petra and Norvyk had arrived with Sir Rangvaldr just the day prior. Having made their trek from Eredale and coming to the Monastery so Petra could try and glean some answers from the Knights on Be'senaar's suggestion.
Unfortunately, her plans with the Knights of Anathaeum would have to wait. As she had promised Valdr she would fly him to Route as quickly as her dragon could manage so he could inform his people of the growing threat from King Ianlar.

The Knights had graciously offered lodging while they rested and resupplied for their journey in the next day or so. But the elf planned on coming back as soon as the Warden's feet were on the ground of his kingdom. The promise of potential answers too tempting to dismiss.

For now though, they rested. And this morning Norvyk insisted on enjoying that respite within the training grounds. Claiming that he wished to experience the mock battles of men first hand. But what Petra suspected was the real reason, was because he wished to be marveled at as he put himself on display. Intent on reveling in any kind of awed fear from the squires themselves.

They had claimed a portion directly on the outskirts of the training grounds. Her dragon laid down next to a moss covered cobblestone ruin that they discovered made up much of the Monastery. Norvyk shuffled his wings in quiet contentment. Lazily casting a golden reptilian gaze over all he could of the training grounds. The occasional sunbeam that broke through the clouds danced along the deep jewel tone of his green scales.

Petra herself was tucked neatly into his side. Her back warm where it rested against him. She had brought her field journal with her today. Determined to finally start asking her dragon questions of his kind that she burned to know the answers to. Like what were the extent of their abilities? Why did they fly into storms? What were the courting rituals of his kind and how long had they existed? All these and more were bubbling under the surface. The thrill of discovery a driving force for her ambition to be a published pioneer of the storm dragon subspecies.

She was busy drawing a rendition of Norvyk, realizing that the talons of her new draconic right arm would take some getting used to when handling a pencil, although she was delighted to find she possessed the same dexterity and grace as her previous appendage; when she felt the piqued interest of her dragon through their bond, the change pulling her from her art. Petra followed the line of his focus and found the object of his attention.

It was a man. A man dressed lavishly in rich red and burgundy and purples. He was a steep contrast to the natural palette of the nature around them.

"Tis not only a man." Came the rumble from her dragon behind her.

Curious, the elf closed her charcoal pencil into her journal to mark her page and looked up.

"What do you mean he isn't just a man? How can you tell?" She turned back to observe the colorful man who wielded a cutlass in the center of the ring. He did appear pale, but she couldn't find much evidence of anything more.

Norvyk was silent as he flared his nostrils in an almost hesitant manner, still intently watching. The tip of his tail twitched like that of a perturbed housecat before he snaked his neck around to level a glowing stare at her. "Trust in my senses, Little Lark. That creature is not all that he appears. He smells of blood and magic."

Petra turned back to the man, quirking her head in interest more than anything. Trying to find what the dragon was talking about. Knowing there was wisdom in finding caution from his words.

"Do you have both your daggers on you?"

Surprised, she turned back to Norvyk. Her right hand reaching unconsciously towards one of the daggers at her thigh that she had recovered from the skirmish in the Spine with Valdr.

"I... do? Yes. Why do you ask?" Suspicion colored her voice. Norvyk didn't have the habit of speaking unless he deemed it worthy of his time. So his question confused her as to his ulterior motive.

The hair on the back of her neck rose with trepidation when the draconic version of a smirk that revealed one too many teeth for her liking opened Norvyk's maw.

"Because you will need them, Rider." And before she could ask any further questions, she felt her weight being lightly tossed forward by the hand of her dragon that had wrapped around her waist a moment before.

indignant, she landed easily on her feet and spun around, intent on spitting venemous words back at him for his despicable manners. But he wasn't looking at her anymore, he was pointedly looking back at the man in the ring. Had she really compared him earlier to a housecat?? if anything, his lashing tail and predatory stare reminded her of an intrigued jungle cat.

With a resigned sigh, she unclipped her cloak, folded it and set her journal down on top of it at the edge of the sandy circle.

Turning away from Norvyk with a pointed glare, she stepped into the ring. Rolling her shoulders as she approached the man in the center.

Valborast Valchek

Last edited:
Valborast's oak eyes received the sharp glare and matched it with a neutral and passive gaze for a moment while he considered the merit of fighting this contender. He had met many the eyes of hate and this wasn't such a look. This was determination, fair and true, and Valborast's eyes scanned for weapons that would be brought to bear against him should he engage. He had expected one to fight him to be an armoured thing of longsword and helm, but found daggers and a curious arm of scales and smiled thinly at the prospect, his eyes narrowing with dark satisfaction at the unexpected development.

Knife fighting is it then. Perhaps it would be best to brush up on such skills and demonstrate how the kindred fight with such a thing. But I've never sparred with this one before in all my time here. I must be careful not to go too far. Introductions before anything.

He noticed the beast of legends in his peripheral vision but as his prospective sparring partner was bold enough to meet him, Valborast resisted his curiosity to turn his gaze for fear of insulting the one he would be fighting shortly if all things were satisfied.

Valborast revealed his hands openly, as if he might be a street magician declaring the environment before a trick was performed through sleight of hand. His fingers were outspread, and his voice spoke simply, as if combat weren't about to be drawn at all, as if this were but an opportunity to exchange terms outside at castle gate before a siege conducted another day of grueling tests.

Well met,” Valborast said coolly, “I am Valborast.”

His shadow became darker as his thoughts became congealed and the magic within his frame shuddered at the violence that the man plotted. Such tremors could be detected by one sensitive to magic, and gave a hint as to what Valborast was capable of. Of summoning shadow, commanding blood, delivering sunlight across the edge of his blade, and all manner of imitative vampiric flourishes, tricks and deceptions.

“We could simply engage in the short blades, in the interest of maintaining proper distance, but,” he said and tucked his hands back into his cloak once more, his shoulders not betraying the fact that his fingers ran across the hilts of his own daggers should his prospective sparring partner launch themselves in haste to prove themselves.

I was looking to see if someone might withstand my repertoire, not just exclusively the dagger. Of darkness, blood and light,” Valborast stated in a matter of fact fashion. There was no bravado, just a clear elucidation of what he might bring to bear. He raised his head slightly, as if to look down upon his competitor slightly in spirit. His brow furrowed slightly, a tremor of preparation before the possible combat.

In the fighting pits of Zakron he was used to dealing with mortal and vampire alike in an exchange of blows which were designed to spill as much blood as possible, wicked sharp knives designed to cull cattle turned to sporting devices. While Valborast carried no such style of dagger now, the education he had recieved to survive such trials served him well in dagger play. But there was no announcer, no spokesperson to give one another name, title, and history. No-one arranging the fight for some hope of fariness.

Or thrilling disadvantage.

You're not a knight of Anathaeum," Valborast stated coldly. "Do you command magic,” Valborast said lowly and looked for a flicker of a moment at the dragon that watched, “as well as dragon? Are you capable of this task?”

He did not shift in posture, but his hands were ready should a sudden strike be initiated. Such were the harsh realities of dealing with knife fights in the lands of the vampire, no time for courtesy, only the fascination of an audience that demanded blood fly, that screams be uttered, that someone would be fighting for their lives against the beast that lurked within all, mortal or immortal alike.

Petra Darthinian

The elf sauntered foward. It wasn't an arrogant swagger, more of one possessed with a steadfast confidence in their own competency of person. She had committed herself to battle and the decision had her blood quickening with anticipation.

From behind Petra, came a booming and ferocious reptilian perversion of laughter. Norvyk was laughing at Valborast.

"Command?! Command what exactly? The living emodiment of a storm? Ha! The hubris of men proves to still entertain at every passing age." A deep rumble rolled through his chest. It was between a chuckle and a growl. "No. What you see before you is a mirror of power. Hers is mine and mine is hers. We are now two sides of the same coin. Harmonized." A phrase rolled from his tongue in a language Petra didn't recognize. Was this the language of dragons?

A warm glow of camaraderie thrummed in her chest. He almost sounded... proud of her? The thought brought a shadow of guilt from their disagreement in the mountains. She just needed answers on what this was. Not so much that she wanted to be rid of him, despite his endearing tirade of snark.

She stopped a few feet from Valborast. Her stance wide and hands anchored to her hips. A mane of long black curly hair dancing around her shoulders. Her own face open and friendly as she blatantly looked down at the man. A single dark brow cocked in intrigue. The faint thrum of magic from her opponent did not go unnoticed.

"A Knight I may not be. But a commander of magic? An artisan of blades?" As she spoke, a lyrical aria layered over her voice. The rising tide of her songweaving coiling in her chest. Ready to shape the world with a melody. Her smile turning predatory, more a flash of sharp teeth. A determined glint entering her eyes. Perhaps she was more like her dragon than she realized. When had his savage draconic nature begun to echo so strongly within her?

Petra folded in a brief bow, exaggerating her movements in a showcase of her own casualness at the situation. If they fought. They would fight for the joy of it. "Well met indeed, Syr Valborast. I am Petra and that giant lizard is Norvyk. I encourage you to ignore him." She rose from her bow and followed it with a conspiratorial wink, as if her grumpy dragon was a secret between the two of them.

Gesturing in a flourish towards Valborast, she said, "I will not accept someone attempting to best me with any sort of handicap. I encourage you to bring your best to the table.' She began stepping back, that same fanged smile pulling at her mouth. A hum began to charge the air as her hands wandered down to the hilts of her Fal'Addassian daggers. "Because I assure you I will be paying you the same respect in kind."

Valborast Valchek

Last edited:
Valborast was accustomed to the derision of an audience, the jeering of a crowd, the remarks of those who willed the blade to sink in deep to the foe yet did not drive it in themselves. So too was what was communicated by this term, harmonized, although the knight knew such a phenomena from far darker roots and by a darker name.

Bonded, from vampire to thrall, from kindred to host, from lord to servant. I must write upon this bond of blood, how it seeps power and lends strength as a layline might, from one soul to another in life and unlife. Perhaps they share similar traits. Something else to ask.

He received the aria within her voice and caught his own mind racing to respond to it in what fashion he could, through the sounds of the nightmare, through the echoes of the kindred's humour that might manifest via his predilection for psychological warfare. Restraint was delivered as introductions were received and he endured the aria's first blow, and as his will was braced against the influence of the spellsong that she conjured to her side in this moment as a pre-emptive display of prowess, Valborast found the sensation to galvanise his memories, as if lured out by the presence of such a delivery of song that might undo him. It was as if he had received a splash of water which sobered his mind and cleared his vision of the dulling affect of sleep.

'Many of the ancient ones have grown accustomed to believing they'll live eternally, but with this belief comes a fear of risk.'

In this moment Valborast smiled for he had realised the truth in what Simone had said. That something that had been concealed from him despite it's literal brilliance in an attempt of self preservation, as his memories of his foe's shrieking rage transmogrified into the sounds of a fearful opponent losing their eternal life to his sunlight streaked blade, all searing illumination and combustion to the kindred foe.

They had been afraid to die in those final protestations.

Petra bowed, and Valborast bowed in return, and his hands firmed around the daggers which he carried. Yet...there were more words to be had.

Curious. In most combats, a bow or salute signals the beginning of a bout. I must be ready at a moment's notice to react, this one does not know our etiquette. Old rules Val. Old rules.

My best is reserved for an immortal foe,” Valborast said flatly, “It would be a waste of blood otherwise,” he informed, keep the true detail vague. Small vials of vampiric blood that if utalised in spellcraft would allow him to reach heights of blood magics that he had only achieved in the underground of Zakron, where vampire blood was readily available and manipulated, in frame or in river.

Now, seeing as you performed your song before combat was drawn...I shall indulge your request in this respect.

He breathed in deep and felt his heart stop as he spoke in the dark language that few living spoke. His clothes pulsed in crimson colour as if his clothes beat in place for his heart. This was a strain he had long learned to maintain as a spell was uttered. His voice gained a passion and violence in the utterance as he spat out the words with relish, his eyes darkening to utter blackness as he uttered his words.

Akhkharu, Uggae, Nanna – ina qibit iqbu-u ilani mushitum: dingit akhkharu kanpa!”

To those who understand darker speech of magic, it translates as follows: “Vampire, God of Death, Sphere of the Moon – May you (opponent) be held back from my body : God of the Vampire, remember!”

His heartbeat shuddered back into life, and new power stirred within his frame from utterance from the tome of vampiric spellbooks. His outline shimmered with tendrils of red light that languished, overflowed and writhed about his person as if he were a host to spirits that might strike out at a blade that might meet him. In truth it was his own blood that surrounded him that was infused with the dark sorcery that Valborast had mastered all but the most strenuous applications that a mortal frame would allow. He felt the familiar ache of his heart shuddering back to animation at the strain.

Feels good to stretch my blood.

At the merest hint of Petra drawing her weapons, he would do the same, two simple dirks designed to puncture as needles might.

Draw,” Valborast impelled coolly, his voice returned to it's former self now that it was rid of the language of damned magic. His eyes carried with them the hint of crimson about it as he commanded his magic to protect him from incoming blows, a technique which had guarded him in the pits against the vampire.

Petra Darthinian

The songweaver watched in pragmatic fascination as darkness garnered in the depths of Valborast's eyes.

He also spoke in a language she didn't recognize. And whatever it was spooked an outbreak of goosebumps all over her body. She gave a tiny shudder at the foreign magic. It felt wrong. Different. Where her songweaving was one of creation. And Norvyk's an aspect of nature. This felt, twisted. Like something that was taken and forced into a shape that left it in painful darkness.

The direction of her thoughts were reflected by the draconic hiss that burst from behind her. Norvyk's voice slithered into her head, his tone triumphant.

"As I suspected. A vampire. Or something close. Be careful, Rider. They are not known for their mercy."

Alarm flashed through her. Did that goddamn dragon say a vampire? Doubt began to cloud her bravado.

Great. She had read about them when she had perused the archives of Fal'Addas. But she was kicking herself for not actually taking the time to read about them after the decade she had spent in the greatest city of her people. Too caught up in parties, music, and her pursuit of dragons.

But, she supposed if there was one thing she loved. It was a bloody challenge.

No pun intended, of course.

A deep and sonorous sound began from Norvyk's chest. It was like the drumming of an ancient beat that played in time to Petra's steady heartbeat. The slit pupil of her eyes shrunk with the sudden influx of magic. Her heart giving a quick staccato in answer. The grip on her hilts tigthening in reflex. She could feel the resulting magic rising in her like a tide. His power rushing towards her and thrumming in her chest.

She closed her eyes, reveling in this power. Unable to help the manic grin that shaped her mouth.

She realized that either way, this would be a brilliant match. How lucky she was to be given the chance to test her worth.

She calmly opened her eyes once more and there was a pregnant pause where she watched him from beneath her dark lashes.

"Draw." The man demanded of her.

So she obliged.

Petra lunged forward, a song of earth on her lips as she pulled her daggers from their leather hilts. Both nearly as long as her forearms. She flipped the grip of her left dagger so the blade faced down and parallel to her arm.

She began dancing forward on the balls of her feet. Side to side, evenly distributing her weight. Her voice called to the ground beneath the dueling pair and she began guiding it to her will. And because she was sharing power with her dragon, she hoped she would have more longevity of control to hold onto such a stubborn element.

There was a warm glow from the earth as it answered her melody. She sang to it and told it to act as it did when she sunk and trapped the horse in the mountain pass. While telling it to also stay solid wherever she placed her own feet.

The elf didn't know how fast and skilled her opponent was. So creating what space she could, and controlling his own ability to move freely, would give her an advantage to see just how good he really was.

A hungry and feral look possessed her. The resemblance between dragon and rider, was in this moment, uncanny. In a fury of blades, she reached Valborast, striking at him with a combo of feints to test his mettle and decide on a strategy to beat him.

Valborast Valchek

Last edited:
The outline of Valborast's blood magic grew in viscosity and pressure as the dummy attacks loomed, as if the defensive vitae was summoned in presence by virtue of the ferros threat's closeness and not just the panicked reaction of arcane wit to self preservation. The enchantment weaving, pulsing and living did not respond in full capacity for it was compelled by the magnetism of violent intent and the contiguousness of his opponent's blade to draw his own blood from rending wound. It as were fingertips of blood edged into his outline as if they were compelled to shake the hands that gripped Petra's weapons while Valborast's own hands remained poised, still, like the retracted fangs of a serpent that considered the most ideal moment to strike as the head of the snake might weave and hypnotise. There was tension in the magic which the man commanded, a pressure of will that like the snake, danced, serpentine, shimmered, and were soon to lash out should a weapon grow too near.

Dirks were drawn soundlessly, the steel ejecting from loving embrace of the scabbard as if pressurised, the blades rising in crescent half moon gestures to protect his left and right zones of defense to where his elbows had been. The blades were held in reverse grip, the edge of the blade pointing downwards, their edges promising to receive any dummy cut that came in from such direction. The blades were mundane in origin, the vampiric energies that snaked wickedly about his frame did not touch the steel. They did not react as his defensive barrier did, with rising motion to the looming threat of the dummy cuts, but with stillness, poise, patience and coiled threat. The blood that shimmered now bristled at the prospect of Valborast bringing his own violent response.

Valborast allowed the dummies to play out without reaction, and his own eyes were locked onto Petra's own, his peripheral vision guiding him, his brow knotted as was custom in calm yet intense fighting attitude. He recognised the intensity and ferocity within Petra's own, the thrill of strikes and found it similar to the gaze of the hungering kindred that were tossed into the pit to fight for their last morsel of blood.

Yet there is not the same fear of being consumed by it.

Simone's words once again made all too much sense.

“Gadud,” Valborast intoned in the same arcane speech, more to command the attitude of his blades and physical presence than to his defensive magic, “Nebo.” His heart slowed as his body quickened to what was expected of him.

Meaning, “Mercury, Sphere of Mercury.”

At the utterance, with languid slowness that invited attack, he took his left blade and brought it two fists away from his naval so that it pointed towards his opponent, his elbow extended where his left knee lurked under robes. With his right it loomed high above his head as if to stab downwards as a deranged killer might threaten. And then all was suddenness and movement.

The Crimson Knight bounded forward without disrupting the stillness of his shoulders, without giving hint of the rapid movement of his feet, as if he slid across ice to bring his weapon to bear upon his elven foe in frightening quickness that was akin to the vampire's own supernatural speed and reactions. Propelled forward, his blades would seek any kind of laceration, paying careful heed only to puncture the skin but a half inch, instead of promising to impale vital points, such as the heart, or perhaps to puncture as if crucifixion was his goal. Precision that would prevent a misstep on his sparring partner's to mean her death contained his cuts, yet they held a brutal remorseless attitude that might cause alarm.

The vitae that bristled was ready to deflect any dagger blow that would come in by grasping at the wrists and twisting them down viciously, by subsuming her own dagger blade with his blood magic and compel it to the floor by brutal pressure.

The two fold vampiric cuts had begun, downward injections of steel with the right, defensive countercuts with the left, with a willful living shield that would attempt to grapple and pin. Such a technique would only be sustainable for a short time, but what was a few less heartbeats to the Crimson Knight?

Petra Darthinian

"Careful..." Came a hiss drifting into her head.

She was aware, Norvyk. Yes, thank you. She needed to concentrate and having her dragon attempt to coach her with continuous chatter, no matter how well meaning, was going to get old fast.

This vampire, or at least this shadow of one, was fast. Her feinting cuts were met with equal skill. The sharp scent of copper from his magic stung her nose and that thrill that came with the recognition of a challenge thrummed through her. Urging her to be faster. To be more cunning. To be better.

She shifted the song of earth in her throat and coaxed it to reach farther, to turn the ground beneath Valborast into difficult terrain. Hoping to cause him to stumble so she may snatch the advantage from his grasp.

But as she danced closer, so too did he, and pressed her guard with his own blades. His daggers like a whirlwind, while his face remained stoic and calm. There was a song still on her tongue when she felt sharp pinpricks of steel kiss into her flesh. First her left arm and then up near her right collarbone. She hadn't even seen it.

"Lark..." Again, came the hiss of warning from her dragon.

She answered those cuts with renewed vigor, teeth gritting as she pushed to maintain her song through the demands of combat. All the while, her own gold draconic gaze flitted around Valborast, calculating where she had an opening.

There!

She thrust upwards with her right scaled hand, seeking to catch the cross guard of her dagger with the blade of his. Attempting to disarm him. But as she was about to make contact, there was a flare of twisted magic from his person. And by some unseen force, her wrist was caught and jerked downwards. Almost losing her grip on her dagger.

She grunted and the force of the diversion brought her stumbling down to one knee, her song briefly interrupted by surprise. The elf used the momentum of her fall to place both hands on the ground, having twisted the grip on both her daggers, so the hilts were flush with the ground. She put all her weight into her palms and scythed her legs out from under her and through the air, attempting to sweep Valborast's legs out from under him. Or to at least create the distance she needed to recover and reengage.

Having achieved two pin prick wounds, Valborast switched to the defensive with both blades as he attempted to withdraw from the engagement some paces. In his attempt to create distance from his impending foe, his foot collided awkwardly with raised earth from the spellsong Petra weaved. His shoulders sagged as he tried to compensate with outstretched foot, and found another hazard that waylaid him that almost twisted his ankle, which sent his shoulders to shift awkwardly as he continued to parry desperately in the moment. The vitae became languid for the ground betrayed him in this moment, his thoughts on balancing himself as best he could, his heart rate quickening as the spell released the hold upon his heart. Another clash of steel, and Valborast felt the sting of a connected cut. A slash tore at the robes and made an incision at front of the elbow where there was no armour as Valborast seemed to tilt towards the ground in a crashing motion, his feet failing him.

And then came the sweep of the leg.

Anna,”Valborast breathed, a word of magic, and felt the familiar deadening of his heart as the combination of spells took hold of him. The blood magic that swirled around him subsumed into his robes once more which fluttered as he fell towards the ground, from the combined effort of the leg sweep and the awkward terrain. His vision darkened as the new spell took hold, for switching between the spells was an act of will that threatened any mage into some ramification, but this darkness too was familiar. His head felt light, but so too became his body.

He gave out a dry mocking laugh that echoed around Petra, as was tradition when performing this spell. In some ways, it was part of the ritual to perform it, for the man had become an ethereal thing of mist, his form collapsing into vapour which lay heavy on the ground for a long second, before trailing twenty feet away from the fight, and reassembling itself in physical form in a rapid swirl which seemed to have a theatrical element to it. It formed slower than a vampire could will, but for Valborast, it was one of the more advanced techniques he emulated of the kindred.

Valborast's brow was adorned in beads of sweat that marked him as mortal, for the cost of emulating the vampires defensive methods had taken a toll. Still, he was well versed in such things, and breathed deeply and calmly. His blades remained in defensive posture, and his shoulders and outline assumed the same stillness as before. He felt the ache of his ankles and knew that he could not travel with the same elegance and shiftlessness as he might have done, which disrupted his poise. He pressed himself so that the weight was on his toes. The vitae was gone from his outline, the defensive shield that guarded him had become one with his robes once again, dismissed for now.

He patted the wound and compelled the wound to stop bleeding. The wound became still, the blood coagulated, and while the pain remained, the bleeding would not hinder him. Such was a trifle for the knight, having the training from his days in Zakron and also his time serving as attendant to surgeries to prevent blood loss to patients. Compelling the appropriate spheres of magic was understood completely to Valborast in such matters. It was as Captain Selene said:

"Blood is the natural intersection between Life and Death and Loch.”

Valborast's laughter returned, along with words sinister born, his tone dark and full of calm, assured victory.

You earned first blood. But I will have your last. Witness. Sanguineous Zi!”

Valborast's heart did not falter in this moment, a testament to the rigorous training and attention to the combination of the three spheres. He focused upon the wounds he had inflicted on Petra, as minor as they were. The sphere of life, to command that which lives and gives life, the circulation system understood and liberated from it's owner by virtue of loch, the sphere of death to make his opponent's blood fail to coagulate as he had compelled his own wound to do. And then further compulsion, to make the blood thin as if it were stricken by the bite of venomous snakes, so the blood might pour freely and rapidly as the raised heartbeat that came with combat allowed. The effect could be more dramatic had Valborast truly wished to create a scene and poured more power into his spell, but his thoughts directed him towards slow humiliation instead of putting the newcomer in the infirmary from too much blood loss sprayed on the arena floor.

Valborast extended his blades to either side of his frame so that the dirks pointed out the sides, and began to chant another spell. One that would take time, and was purely of the sphere of death. His blades grew dark, his eyes became overtaken by the blackness of his pupil expanding, as he began to summon a shroud. It would take long moments to perform without lash back on his own frame, his voice resounding with mocking laughter that echoed from his presence as he intoned dark words of magic so that he might blind his foe in time.

Isa ya, isa ya, ri ega, ri ega, bi esha bi esha, xiyilqa, xiyilqa, duppira atlaka-”

Petra Darthinian

Last edited:
Petra almost faltered when Valborast dissolved into mist after trying to sweep his legs from beneath him. It was something she had yet to encounter in her 127 years. And the implications of how this could turn their little mock battle had her fighting a snarl. She did not enjoy not knowing what she didn't know, let alone having that very same lack of knowledge leaving her at a disadvantage against an opponent. She then grimly noted that the two cuts the vampire shade had got in, were still bleedly freely and beginning to soak her shirt. Which should not have been the case. Unless, his magic had anything to do with it.

How wonderful.

"It seems you are at a disadvantage." Her dragon pointed out in a dry tone. He didn't fool her, Petra could hear the amusement he was trying to conceal after having read her thoughts. The scaly bastard.

And even though she hated to admit it, her snarl twisted into a reluctant smirk at his remark. And she was begrudgingly thankful for the comedic relief.

Petra took in the sweat on Valborast's brow. His brief stumble. And even the blood on his arm. Comparing him to her own state. She absolutely could keep going. Though she did not think she could continue going at this pace while trying to shape the earth to her will, nor if Valborast continued to cut her.

She would need to remeasure her tactics carefully, she did not want to be lured into carelessness because of a few small merits of victory. Granted, these were trivial alone. But... together, she could compound on them and come in with a clean and decisive strke.

"You will be needing to stop that spell if you aren't planning on using myself as your eyes." Norvyk grumbled cryptically. The elf could feel his growing sense of urgency through their bond.

Shit. Right. Pay attention. She quietly admonished to herself. But stop him how? They were sparring, so she wasn't exactly going to put a dagger in his neck

"A pity. For this would have made watching you two crawl in the dirt, more entertaining.' A pause, as if he had to recover from an exhausting eyeroll. 'A dagger, no. But a cork by other means...?" His draconic bass drifting off in her head.

What a clever dragon.

In the next moment, Petra sprinted at Valborast. A new song weaving through the air. One that sang of burgundy cloth and flamoyant purple fabrics. Bright red and sanguine silks. She sang to them, became them. Gave them life and wove magic into their threads. She bid the silks that hung off of Valborast to rise like snakes, to curl and twist and snap like angry serpents around his arms and hands. But most importantly, to become like constrictors around his mouth. Attempting to hold close his mouth and stop the flow of vampiric magic that dripped like venom from his tongue.

She hoped her magic would stick and hold against the man's own. Because it was as the cascading silk bound itself around Valborast, that Petra reached him and she flipped the dagger of her right hand, so the blade was facing down and her knuckles out. Ducking in close to the man, so they would have shared breath, save for the fabric around his mouth. Their eyes meeting briefly before she swung up with the power of her draconic right arm, and tried to bury a coiled punch into his solar plexus, the beginnings of static biting through the air.

Valborast Valchek

Last edited:
Storm, and blood. A Sworn, and a stranger. Though her march through the training grounds had been born from routine, the Captain of Dawn now found herself curios as she came to stand beside the young dragon.

Magic had swirled wild about the air. The bite of iron, the tang of lightning charged in the atmosphere.

"You better not get too excited now," Helena said to the dark scaled creature, her own magic woven beneath her feet, rooted into the very earth of the Monastery, and spread throughout like the roots that sprawled beneath a sturdy tree amidst its forest.

For now, she would but watch. But she was no stranger to the blindness born from contest.

Valborast Valchek Petra Darthinian

A satisified growl rumbled in Norvyk's throat while watching his Rider spar with the vampire shade. Their violent dance disturbing the raked sand of the ring. He had been pleased to see that the elf was holding her own. For he hadn't seen her fight in the mountain, as he had arrived at the tail end to dispatch the outriders.

Now was as good a time as any to catalogue his Rider's strengths and weakness. So far, he noted she fought with a cunning ferocity. And a talent for her innate racial magic. Although she tended to leave her left side open and needed to improve on anticipating her opponent's movements. For now, this was acceptable.

On the matter of losing, even if it was just a spar, would be unacceptable. He was excellence. Had found excellence in her. And would not tolerate anything less. For she was a reflection of him, and he, her.

And even though he was enjoying watching her fight. He refused to let the emotion show. Better to be stoick, for fear his Rider would know how much she already had her draconic companion wrapped around her talon, and respect him less for it.

There was a pull of awareness at the edge of his magic. A woman approached him. A woman of power.
He snaked his head to stare down at a tall female human. Her skin dark and lustrous and her afro caught in a high-ponytail. There was a distinct crown of boughs atop her head and she stared at him curiously. As if the very roots of that power he sensed, didn't stem out from beneath her feet.

"You better not get too excited now." The woman chided.

Ah, she must be referring to the beginning stirs of electricity in the air.

Dropping his head closer, he puffed a friendly gust of warm air at her from his nostrils as he took in her scent. This would be an interesting one to watch. Especially should she prove useful to his Rider.

"I am sorry to disappoint. But that isn't from me." His turned his head back towards the two figures fighting in the ring. The source of that rising magic. "She does not know yet that she may now harness the same element that gave storm dragons their name. Perhaps we will be lucky and witness her discovery." His maw parted in a predatory show of teeth, a perverse imitation of a smile.

Helena

Sanguine robes rebelled and fulfilled the purpose Petra bid it perform. Valborast felt his own apparel smother the words of his spell as it silenced him, rage overtaking him at the sabotage of his own possessions. His brow furrowed further in fury as he felt the tendrils of magic he was in the process of summoning lose their purchase on the landscape of reality and dissipated into the air in gouts of black from his darkened dirks. Dirks he commanded all too silently now in his spellcraft to salvage his spell, and too slowly for virtue of the changing situation in bladecraft to effectively block the brutal blow.

Petra's fist delivered to his breast plate and compressed the steel that guarded his vitals in a small crater of metal. The static electricity had not generated enough charge to cause devastating consequences for the man's strained heart yet it sent his hair on end in places, his beard becoming a thing resembling a wild dwarven engineer. The impact sent Valborast staggering back a few paces from the collision, who was still bound and gagged by his own clothing.

To one with elven ears to hear, one could hear the tiny impact of shattering glass from beneath that breastplate, a sound that Valborast did not hear for being so bound by his clothing.

Should I lose this contest for fear of losing some coins to a tailor?

Valborast sheathed his dirks and went for a different pair of daggers, this time possessing cutting curved edges similar in keenness to his own cutlass. The process was fraught with strained muscles against taut cloth that would seek him bound at the mercy at his assailant, yet his hands stretched to released the first dagger, which took hovered and took flight a moment it was released. A few droplets of blood were carried throughout the handles of this pair of daggers that gave Valborast fundamental control and awareness over the object through his blood manipulation. The blade arced and span and cut away at his own robes to free him from the binding with sharp tearing sounds.

His robes lay in tattered clumps around his feet which continued to backpedal as his mouth was freed, his shoulders exposed to reveal the red leather armour underneath, his cloak once a dignified thing that gave him a sense of gravitas and regality was now a tattered imitation of a homeless dignitary. The blades continued to cut away where there was rebellion, and Valborast's collected his strategic mind that had never had such an arcane trick played against him. He smoothed his hair back to try and fight the frizz that had emerged from the electricity that had coursed against him and found little success.

Do I use the vampiric blood to win this?

No. She's not worth my resources. I shall contend with what I have.

Yet Valborast's rage made him wish to end this as triumphantly as he could, the rage boiled inside of him and was already compelling him to draw throwing daggers. His tactical mind stopped him from simply hurling them at his opponent directly, for he knew she had some speed to her, and it would not be enough to put this one down. Or prevent her songspells from causing some manner of sabotage once again. His robes still flapped in contention from her spell which was still being cut where it showed willfulness from one of his floating curved daggers.

With throwing daggers in hand and two curved daggers floating near him, he decided to fight proverbial fire with fire. He inhaled a deep breath and extended his fingers to the ground, with the throwing knife falling for a moment before floating as the other daggers did, and called upon the spirit of his blood once again.

Ravenous power responded. A power that Valborast was startled to experience, for he had not willed it. His eyes turned to his breastplate, and saw that a darkened stain of blood emerged from beneath it, yet there was no pain to match such an spot of vitae. His mind connected to the ravenous entity that dwelled within the vial of vampiric blood he held on his person that the protective case underneath his breastplate had been broken by virtue of the electricity.

Damnation, what an absolute waste!

No, I can still recover this. I am the greatest mortal blood mage, I can still salvage this resource!

Now it was a question of controlling what was unleashed without actually harming someone.

“You've sabotaged my clothes,” Valborast hissed to Petra, his hands outstretched to the ground to compel the vampiric blood to his command that fought against him in will, “and now old enemies seek to sabotage us due to your damned electricity!” Valborast continued as he planted both hands together and forced the vampiric blood to collect in a sphere in front of him. The effort was monumental, and the daggers sank into the ground from their floating state.

Do I use this blood on her?

Another voice emerged, ghoulish, hungry, ravenous, compelling and seductive in it's simplicity. It spoke in the dark speech that Valborast had commanded, and illustrated all manner of spells that could be woven from the vitae that was mistakenly released. The beast of blood, the quickening of hearts, the manipulation of the blood within a foe, the danse macabre, and that was just the beginning of the alluring spells that such vampiric blood might compel reality to create.

The Crimson Knight toyed with the idea for but a moment as temptation bit into him, but he shook his head with an uncontrolled laugh, his hands clutching at the sphere that was created. He controlled his laughter and gave an angry growl to dismiss the willfulness of the entity that had been released and shook his head once again. His reply came through gritted teeth. “No, she's not my true enemy. A misunderstanding. Now back into your cage, Kimal! There are better foes out there! Or should I simply destroy you for disobeying me?”

The blood began to compress, and as it did so, it lashed out in small tendrils that were barely held in check by Valborast. It grew smaller, and smaller, and Valborast deftly and with a well practiced move brought out a thin chambered vial of obsidian from his belt, and opened it with a flick of his thumb.

“This contest is over,” Valborast said to both Petra and the spirit that existed within the blood, and breathed hard with effort, his brow pouring with sweat. He could not summon the words, 'I yield' for it might be construed as a message to the vampire that still existed within the blood he carried. It would be up to Petra to understand that Valborast was no longer fighting against her, his blades in the ground, his magic purely driven against the ravenous and tempestuous spirit of a slain vampire that he only kept upon himself for the direst of circumstances, not this minor play of blades.

Petra Darthinian

"Sorry to dissapoint?" Helena smiled, and did not look at the proud creature, her eyes fixed on the fight, even as the gust of hot storm air still stirred about her, and the flash of dagger teeth gleamed in her periphery. "Never met a dragon concerned with the opinion of others," Helena smirked as the partner of the bond smashed into Valborast's plate with that arm of hers.

Wyld magic woven about Helena, she could smell the rush of metal tang that swelled through the air like a foul perfume. Her jaw set tight at the notice of dented plate, her eyes shifted with a shimmer of green across their shallow pools and hawk-like vision saw frazzled hair, and the feint trace of electricity. Valborast seemed well enough to carry on, even as blood dripped about the edges of his damaged plate. Magicked ichor swirled and the dusker struggled to contain his own tool. Helena's eyes snapped to Petra.

What would the dragon rider do in the face of the blood mage's wyrd magic.

Petra Darthinian Valborast Valchek

Several things happened at once. The tinkling of broken glass originated from Valborast's chest as it collapsed under her scaled fist. Petra tried to recover from her shock, but she stumbled slightly on her retreat. She had dented it? Nay, caved it in?! She could hear her own panic in her head. Confusion muddling her thoughts. How? And what had been the static that had danced across her skin? She didn't understand.

Her right hand flexed around the grip of her dagger and looking down at her knuckles, she found blood on her scales, except no cuts to be seen. Furrowing her brow, she looked back and her eyes widened when she saw the blood dripping from a dark stain on his damaged breastplate as daggers danced around him, cutting away rebellious jewel-toned fabric.

Oh fuck. What had she done.

In a flash, she sheathed both her daggers to the scabbards on her thighs while dropping the melody of the song she wove into his clothing. Still, the vampire hacked away at them. All the while spitting obscenities under his breath. Although as she drew closer, she didn't think he was speaking to her.
But the sphere of coagulating and lashing blood that Valborast began gathering before him made her halt in uncertainty and hover her hands back on the hilts of her daggers. Had she not greviously injured him then? The thought washed over her with relief, only to have extreme caution rise up to take its place.

A growing rumble built behind her, a warning growl that Norvyk was throwing across the ring. His dark intent drifted to her from their bond, the feral sound vibrating into her bones. She understood what he was communicating; Norvyk would intervene if this got out of hand, he would not show mercy, and this would would be his only warning. The sound sparking a flash of nervous sweat upon her brow. She had to end this then.

Her focus back on her opponent, she took stock of his growing fatigue. But also the determination that lit a fire behind his eyes. The name Kimal escaped his lips with verocity as he struggled with a vial she had failed to notice in his hand. Tension lashed through the air as the bloody sphere grew smaller and smaller. The echoing snarl of her dragon diminishing in tandem with the vanishing magic.

It wasn't until Valborast was able to grit out, "This contest is over", that she relaxed several degrees. A deep breath in and out as she bowed in a sign of the end of their duel. It was nowhere near as care-free as she had done at the beginning of their match, the cuts she had procurred stinging something bitter. Rising, she dabbed gently at the perspiration on her forehead, looking onto Valborast with some concern, the dischordant music of his twisted magic tasting like metal on the back of her tongue. Singing to it would feel akin to singing while drowning in blood. She herself did not understand it, but seeing as her opponent was a Knight of the Monastery, surely there were people here who did.

Petra hesitantly walked a few steps back, before turning her head to address Norvyk. That very question on her tongue, except there was a proud female figure beside him that commanded her attention instead. The woman seemed to belong here, there was even an aura of power around her that sang quietly to Petra. In harmony with the earth beneath their feet. How curious.

Stepping closer, she noted how sticky the blood beneath her armor was becoming. She also had to clear her throat twice before she could address the woman, as the arduous task of songweaving had strained her vocal chords. "Should we be helping him try and control that? I-I believe I made a mistake and underestimated my abilities. My most profuse apologies." She followed the sentiment with a bow and an apologetic grimace. The faint tremors of her dragon's snarl the only sound.

Valborast Valchek Helena

Valborast's long fingers outstretched to dominate the sphere of blood which spiraled and languished over it's fate before him. It whispered dark things to the knight as he bid it to be contained, yet it was willful and rebellious to it's fate. Words of insult, words of hate, words of scathing reproach and words that demanded freedom that Valborast received as always with a level of contempt all his own.

Valborast paid it no heed, for he had no spirit of negotiation with a vampire he had vanquished and drained for his own purpose.

Obey, exist in a fraction, or else be nothing at all,” Valborast bid with a snarl, and contorted his fingers into a more cruel gesture about the contemptuous blood which snaked before him.

More dark whispers entered his mind and Valborast's mouth spoke a new and fresher word from the domain of light, his eyes flashing with sunlight for a moment as he threatened the resident of the vitae with total dissolution. Such magics were pivotal to his own freedom from the place of Zakron, his blade carrying the tinge of sunlight that set vampire flesh to burning. Had the man more dedication towards such a domain, he might have been a knight of Dawn, but had found his vampiric emulation place him firmly in the order of Dusk, alongside his own predilection towards darkness. The man had little tolerance for the solar unless it was to vanquish his fanged foe, or in this case, threaten it with total oblivion.

The blood stilled it's writhing, as if sensing it's own doom from the summoning of sunlight, and with a sudden rush of liquid, entered the obsidian vial that Valborast held open with a few impulses of curse towards the knight. Valborast provided the proper counterspells to such hexes, as he had grown used to performing when dealing with such a spirit as the cursed vampire contained. The vial seemed too small to contain so much blood, yet contain it did. With a firm hand the Crimson knight sealed the vial and spent long heartbeats incanting the proper ritual, a marriage of sunlight and vampiric diabolary to contain such a wilful source of power.

Valborast's breath tremored from the effort of containing the vampiric spirit within the container, and he felt underneath the breastplate for any sign of damage to the others that he carried. He breathed easy for he felt no cracks upon some of others that he owned and imprisoned.

Had more been broken I might have been overwhelmed by them. I must reinforce them from electricity, and other blows. I don't trust to keep them anywhere else aside from person, so I must do better. I will not fall folly of such a tactic again.

He looked to his robes, tatters as they were. He picked up remnants of them and held them within his fist, and felt anger for the manner that his opponent had used against him. Sabotage was the word that kept burning itself into his mind. He discarded the pieces of cloth and let them flutter off in the wind, yet kept a remnant of his irritation and anger. Repairs to such an item could be made with tailor and magic, but his pride was a far more slow healing thing. The armour could be beaten out and mended, as well as any justifications for his own defeat this day.

I had hoped for a more satisfying end to this conflict. Still, lessons have been learned. But who the hell is this person that commands song to undo her opponents? I must watch her. And prepare some kind of countermeasure should I have to fight her again. Or someone who uses spells in such a fashion.

He stood alone for a long moment, trying to compose himself. He looked to the sand which had been marked by small spatters of blood and extended a hand to it as to command it. Droplets of blood rose, and joined with his frame, as he did bid his own vitae to restore itself. All traces of his exsanguination technique was faded from Petra, and he deliberated his defeat.

He felt his heart pounding from the exertion of the blood magic, a feat which he found all too natural now but one which was rare among the order. He scowled at the floor, and thought as to why he had originally started this contest to begin with.

To refresh my mind. To test my mettle. To demonstrate my abilities. To quicken the blood.

He gave out a small hum of satisfaction to himself. Such things had been performed. But such an answer was cold, and did little to relate to his heart of hot anger. But, he did indeed feel refreshed by the confrontation, his mind already felt as if there were new avenues to explore in his book, as if he was no longer contained by the usual trappings of writing that he was beholden to. His eyes turned up to see Captain Helena and grew darker in disposition. What was this new comer's game, did she seek to become part of the order? And would this outcome please the superiors?

His pale face was still marred by exertion, by sweat and heat to his face from performing such diabalry. He awaited some kind of call from the Captain, or from his opponent, if there was to be one.

I'll give her a short time before I make myself scarce. I have better things to do than to provide commiserations to myself.

He ran a palm across his face and felt the heat rise from it, and the expression of displeasure upon it for his own misgivings.

Had my sword been drawn this would have been a very different matter.

Petra Darthinian Helena

A pregnant pause passed as Helena watched the stranger disengage, and Valborast struggle on. "You can help by taking your grumpy little friend here for a walk," Helena said to the stranger, eyes forward, visage neutral and unconcerned as she nodded toward the rumbling dragon. "And keep him off of Monastery grounds while you are at it," her tone gave no room for retort. "We are not in the business of training others dragons, and cant have our knights losing arms based on draconic insecurities," her eyes went back toward the Dusker.

"As for that one," she nodded toward the Dusk Knight. "He can handle it on his own," her gaze flicked back to the elf. "Though you would do well to keep your eyes on him while you move away," Helena's focus shifted back to Valborast.

She wondered if Selene had sanctioned this.

Still, the Captain's eyes remained fixed on the Dusker. Her own magick twisting roots and tangle vines just beneath the surface of the earth. And about the dragon, in five points spaced about the creature's perimeter, in a ritualistic measurement, there would be branches, just poking out of the ground's crust. Gently, they curled and bent up toward the sun, fraction by fraction with each passing breath. Not but new life to be called forward.

When Valborast finally did put his treacherous tool away, and stood there in his contemplation, Helena smiled. Her expression was sharp as a knife.

"Sworn Knight Valborast Valcheck!" Her voice called out in a sharp report, and her posture demanded attention. "Present yourself for inspection, at once!"

Last edited:
Petra cringed at the indignant outrage that sparked from Norvyk at the woman's words. She was obviously a woman of authority around here. And if she had to make an educated guess based on what Syr Harkonn had told her when she arrived, that this was one of the Captains. Oops.

There was an anxious pull in her gut, she hoped that whatever she had blundered, was redeemable. Seeing as how she had questions she would be returning to have answered. Let alone bringing back a member of the house of Tal'deneshaar as a prospective Knight. Were they not allowed to spar at a Knight's behest then? She had never visited the Monastery before, but had heard plenty about them in her travels and readings.

"Apparently not enough, Little Lark." Came the contemptuous voice of her dragon in her head. Petra flicked her gaze from the woman before her to stare at her dragon beseechingly. A small shake of her head. Please.

The wave of irritation was powerful from her dragon. But so was the gust of wind that buffeted from beneath him as he launched to the skies from a standstill.

She let out a small sigh of relief as she tried to tame her curls back down from the resulting wind. She felt for Norvyk, she really did. Part of her was equally as irritated at the admonishment. And it took all of her effort to keep the fires of retaliation from stoking a burning retort from her tongue.

But this is not my home. The voice of reason whispered in reply. And just like that, her anger left as quickly as it arrived. She couldn't argue that. This wasn't her home. She needed to realize that anything done with the intention of controlling what happened here, was in an effort to keep the Monastery safe. So even though she didn't enjoy being at the wrong end of a scolding, she understood its necessity in keeping order.

Stepping out of the way of the Captain, Petra glanced over her shoulder to curiously watch Valborast's proverbial dressing down. The thought quirked a miniscule corner of her mouth at the irony of word play in regards to... uh... what was left of his robes.

Helena Valborast Valchek

With palms and forehead sheen with perspiration, and a breath that was still coming out in strained ragged rushes, Valborast drew himself to his proper height and placed a hand to his breastplate as if he himself had been damaged. In a way he had by virtue of compromising the vampiric blood he carried and smashing his self assured pride. But while the defeat was a besmirching thing, Valborast's motives for fighting in the first place had been satisfied. His mind was already fresh with ideas on what to set quill to, the accidental release of the vampire blood had placed himself in proximity to the beings he spoke of, the blood granting him whispers of dark temptation and advice. Old voices, kindred spirits in hatred and ambition.

He breathed in and felt the cool air chill him as it passed his features, he blinked hard to regain focus with his wincing eyes, and a small smile began to creep in upon his thin lips as he thought upon what he had realised. He carved the thoughts into a black tablet within his mind for future reference.

I am not alone in wanting this book to be properly written.

Then came the call to attention.

The smile faded, replaced by an uglier flicker of emotion. His teeth snapped upon one another and he only let the visage of a grimace upon his face mark it for a moment. He breathed in once again and tried to gain his typical calm composure, but the ache of his heart and the pressure upon his sternum from the impacted plate made the process almost impossible. He settled to simply be strained for now.

No matter. I shall attend the Captain. I have gained what I wanted. This was a success.

But Valborast suspected that Helena might not see it in such a way. He walked towards her and as he did so, unfastened the damaged breastplate with a few well performed and well exercised releases of the leather fastenings. The breastplate was caught as it fell to the meet the earth with a vicious snatch that hinted at his own spiteful, yet self congratulating, mood. He felt the sharp pain of small wounds he had sustained and redoubled his spellcraft to prevent the loss of blood from such sustained injuries.

Another success. I've never had to compel vampire blood while preventing my own sanguination. A worthy skill proven.

He took his hand and groomed his beard with three firm strokes of his fingers to settle his frazzled appearance. He hair on his head recieved similar attentions, although with far less success. The tattered robes were beyond making appear better than how it truly was however, but Valborast cared little at this point. He did not have to hide the movements of his feet which strode with proper speed to the Captain, but he did not rush to meet her call. His mind collected his excuses, his justifications, his ambition, his self worth, his inextinguishable pride, as it became ready to endure whatever the Captain had to say.

He walked up and halted his movements with a slight animation to his tattered cloak. It were as if the jagged edges that resembled beastly teeth of monsters were chewing upon the air around it for a moment.

Captain,” Valborast simply said, as if pleasantly surprised by her presence, as if he was making casual conversation. He provided salute that remained in place for a second too long, for his body ached and was quickly becoming more rigid from the effort he had exerted from his spellcraft. His eyes were tempted to dart over to Petra, but years of serving the vampire courts had taught him that proper attention could prevent terrible things from happening from the attentions of powerful people.

There was no deference in Valborast's gaze and no shame in his voice. He looked at her with a self assurance and a quiet defiance that couldn't be placed down but was there in fractions of evidence. He had won in his efforts and could write further on his book. That was enough for him. All else could be endured by the Crimson Knight.

He thought on Captain Selene's words and found them to be a shield in the face of her counterpart in authority.

Do not mistake me for some patron to be pacified.

And with this thought came a quiet boldness and lack of self-reproach that was the hallmark of the maverick.

Helena Petra Darthinian

Where Valborast's rage flashed for but a moment, hid behind small gestures and tattered clothes, Helena's burned bright as the sun itself. "Have you lost your gods damned mind, Sworn Knight?" she said sharply, her wolfish smile still wide and bared between her words. "A cursed relic, hidden beneath your bloody plate?!" Her eyes darted to the ruined shell he had so quickly removed, defiled as it was by all manor of ichor. "Or do you need me to go and get you a brush so that you can attend to your gods damned beard and hair before we continue this conversation?" She craned her neck in a fashion that dared the knight to say something. Invited his pride to steam out of whatever hole he saw fit.

Helena huffed, and sealed her smile away as she rectified her posture. "Never doubt that should you lose yourself, Syr Valcheck, it is your sworn kin that will have to put you down, and deal with whatever mess you leave in your vainglorious wake," she eyed him with the intensity of a high noon sun on a clear day. "You are to relinquish all cursed relics, artifacts, and equipment to the runic vault as all knights do when walking upon monastery grounds. As all Knights of the Order do. Without exception." She glared at him, and her eyes this time, dared him to say a single word in defiance. "If you wish to perform your little Dusker experiments, then you will sodding do so upon approval of a formerly submitted request. Do I make myself clear, Syr Valcheck?"

Would approval ever arrive to revisit my conquered former citizens should I inter them? To seek council from them? To harness the strength of those I have defeated to better purpose than they ever did in undeath? Once I hand them over, the three vampires who exist in soul and spirit in the vials of blood, will these assets be squandered, and finally die for lack of attentions? I was the one that defeated them. I deserve the dividends of such conquest.

They might rebel immediately should I not placate their own survival instincts. Perhaps they deserve a better end.

No.

A more useful end.

Valborast knew he did not know how to perform the technique to which would satisfy what in Valborast's eyes was the perfect solution to all this. To inture them into a weapon. Or himself.

He frowned at the intruding thought that seemed confident and quick to rise to the occasion. At the open rebellion to purpose to which he swore. To reduce corruption. To seal away the cursed. To protect the forest. This place that had taken him in after so many years of servitude to the vampires. That had taught him further power with sunlight, and given him training, a home.

He'd been carrying the vampire blood in secret for years. Learned from it. Felt indebted it's survival. Scrutinized it with an mind that was becoming all too aware of the implication of his thoughts.

Have I spent too long around them?

Who's them?

The Knights of Anathaeum or the vampires?

Valborast grew cold and very still. His hand gained a small tremor. His wounds began to bleed in small measure.

He thought of the reason he was writing the book to begin with. Where there had been so recently an inspiration on how to continue the book's subject, there was now a reminder of his words to Captain Selene on why he wanted to write the book in the first place.

'I'm proposing to keep our number alive. Unturned. Unfettered by fear and uncertainty by the prospect of the kindred, their nature, their methods, their mindset. Their visage and all they resemble.'

Had humility lived within Valborast's heart in even more of a fraction, his next words would have been a request for help from the Captain Helena. But Valborast's expression hardened with resolve as he engaged with his own self. He thought on his accomplishments. Of his pride when he thought of vanquishing the vampires, of freeing himself from Zakron, of going to the surface, of petitioning the Order to have him, of passing the tests to become more than just a squire. He had always believed himself. Always relied upon himself.

And never have I slid back. I didn't become a vampire then. I will not resemble one now by feeding further on these vials of blood in knowledge. There may be some use. Some purpose beyond my own study. I have learned enough from them. Follow orders. They can languish in their vials. I've given them enough. A punishment for revealing themselves perhaps. May they learn discipline. I have fed them enough with my attentions and vitae.

Wait.

Wait.

I what?

Valborast let the thought linger, the silence envelope him. Transfixed at his own spectacle of thought. At what he had just admitted to himself.

He wet his lips and spoke quietly.

Perfectly clear,” he said, more to himself than to the Captain as he remained rooted in place by his own realisation filling him with chill dread. His eyes were distant as he felt a horror that he had not felt since his youth.

Petra Darthinian Helena

Valdr had made his way to the commotion, in search or Petra. The damned Elf was bound to get in trouble, or worse, barred from the only place that could possibly provide her the answers to that which she sought.

Rounding the corner, he paused, having heard the ire in Helena's voice. It was likely deserved, knowing the woman was level of mind, and to his own disappointment Petra was at the very center.

Thankfully, she wasn't the target. He moved around the scene, his gaze falling on Petra and he signaled her with a gauntlet and a look of sheet disappointment. And he would mouth 'Come.' They were not being housed on Monastery grounds, nor should either be present during the internal powwow.

Petra Darthinian