Private Tales To Have and to Hold..

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Amelia's day was her own to do as she wished with. The sun was pleasant, and tea and cakes were set up in the gardens for her, a feast was brought to her rooms, the library hearth was lit for the first time in a year, and a warm bath with a selection of scented oils and salts was drawn for her in the evening. Margareta would be at her disposal, and the young maid seemed rather excited to have a female staying in the keep.

It wasn't til later in the evening that Lynus and Arryn returned, both inebriated but the prince most certainly worse for wear. They'd been singing when they'd stumbled out of the carriage, likely waking half the keep as they continued the song through the great hallways.

"Right. Shh. Fucksake. Your father will skin me alive.." Arryn murmured with a snort as he wrapped an arm around Lynus' back to help him up the stairs.

"Ehh fuckim." the Prince waved a hand dismissively and near went backward down the few steps he'd managed to climb. "Lets getta drink."

Amelia had loved every single minute of the day.

She lounged in the warm bath with her eyes closed as she felt her body relax for what seemed like the first time in months. She could've easily fallen asleep as she laid there going over the days events.

The soon-to-be bride had found her wedding dress easily and it was perfect. Simple and lacey. She still couldn't believe she was getting married tomorrow. She was getting married to a Prince. This could be her life if she stayed her. She did not hate the prospect.

Eventually her water grew cold and she pulled herself from the bath grudgingly. She was in the middle of drying her curly hair with a towel when she heard voices. Male voices. Male voices that sounded like they were trying (and failing) to be quiet.

Amelia walked over to the door on light feet and opened it up to look out. She immediately found her future husband and his guard like she had suspected. What she had not suspected was that Arryn was drunk as well.

Amelia should've closed the door and gone to read but she did not. She slowly left her rooms and shut the door quietly behind her.

Yes...Amelia was about to listen in on her fiancés drunken conversations.

"I think.. We've both had enough to drink.." Arryn snorted. "Last time I had this much.." he hiccuped. "To drink, I woke up in the kennels, bollock naked shackled to bars with the kennel-master's daughter. Old' Malek blackened both my eyes." Arryn laughed and shushed himself.

Lynus laughed and slapped Arryn on the back, the two still only half way up the stairs. "Don't tempt me." the Prince mused and Arryn gasped.

"Ey ey ey ey.. You're 'bout to be (hiccup) married, my brother. And to a beautiful lady." the guard reminded him, and Lynus stopped to lean on the banister.

"I mightn't have a heart but I have morals, fuck sake." he slurred and waved a hand dismissively. "There's plenty beds for you to warm. Don't let me stop you.." he sighed. "What the fuck would she want with me, Arryn? You make her happier than I do already." he snorted and shook his head before resting it down on his forearm. "I wish they'd leave me alone.. I'm fine on my own."

"No. No you're not. You're a fuckin liability. Now." Arryn staggered to grip Lynus by the back of his neck. "Straighten yourself up, and open your eyes. M-metaphorically." he clarified as Lynus blinked at him. "She isn't the new Selena." he said, and Lynus winced at the name. "She's just.. new. She's not a replacement, Lynus, she could be a fresh start and a new life if you just let her be. You could do a LOT worse. This place is rife with Elise Viraks." Lynus winced at that name too. "Instead your parents matched you with someone..." Arryn paused, trying to find the words to describe her. Lynus watched him, blinking expectantly.

"Someone that Selena would have approved of. She would want you to move on and be happy - you know that. I want that. I want my brother back.. So at least, just promise me you'll get to know her." he asked, and Lynus swallowed a hard lump in his throat before nodding.

"Aye.. I'll try.." he agreed, and the pair finally made it to the top of the stairs, and parted ways.

Amelia opened the door a little more and crept out to see the two men as the stumbled walked up the stairs. Seeing Lynus smile and laugh even for just a few seconds made her own lips curl into a smile. He changed so much when he let himself relax and enjoy life. She wished she could understand his pain and help him but she was useless.

Her heart skipped a beat when Arryn called her beautiful. The skipped beat made itself know when Lynus said you make her happier than I do already. She felt nauseous all of a sudden. Did Lynus think there was something going on there?

She could've kissed Arryn when he started to give Lynus the hard truths. She had been listening to intently to notice that their voices were getting closer and now she quickly made her back to her room. She shut the door all the way except a small crack so she could finish her eavesdropping.

Lynus' agreement to try caused Amelia to smile and close her eyes for a few seconds before closing the door and heading to bed. She was tired and tomorrow was going to be one of the biggest days of her life.

Her sleep was not filled with nightmares but it was also not very restful. Even as she slept, she stressed out about her future.

Arryn woke him early the next morning with another cup of whatever Amelia had concocted last time. Again, he made a fuss about the ginger, but he had to admit that the stuff worked. Arryn on the other hand could drink as much as he did and never seem bothered by the after effects. He was as spritely as ever as he opened the curtains blocking the light from he several arched windows.

Lynus grimaced and rubbed at his temples. Servants criss-crossed the chambers, carrying towels and clothes and trays of food. The bath was drawn, and he was given some time to eat and bathe before the was accosted by servants who groomed clipped his hair, beard and nails. He drew the line at allowing them to dress him, but they did ensure that he was pristine.

Amelia would've been no doubt subjected to the same morning as he, for in less than an hour they'd be wed. "I hope they've gone easy on her.." he murmured to Arryn who stood in front of him, straightening his collar.

"Concern.. Now there's a good sign." the guard smirked, and Lynus huffed a laugh at him.

"I'm not a fucking monster, Arryn.." he frowned, and when the silence drew out between them, his brow arched. "Am I?"

"Of course not." Arryn laughed as he patted him on the shoulders. "You're one handsome bastard. Just wounded. Wounds heal, and in time they become scars. You can be happy again, brother, if you just give yourself that chance."

The Prince stared at him for a moment before nodding with a small smile in agreement. He did enjoy her company, she was incredibly beautiful, she was kind and clever and amusing. She deserved far better, and he had her happiness to consider more than his own.

"Aye.." he answered, and the two embraced with a few hard slaps on their backs.

"Right.. Let's go do this." Arryn grinned, and only just refrained from ruffling the Prince's freshly groomed hair.

Amelia had been woken up before the sun had risen and she was less than thrilled. Yes, it was her wedding day but that did not mean she wanted to get up this ridiculously early. The one perk was that she did not have very much to do. The maids and servants flitted around the room in a mad dash of insanity. She was quickly stripped and put into a hot bath to clean herself and her hair. The rest of the morning seemed to go by in a blur after the water get lukewarm.

The bride's hair was curled into large, perfect ringlets that a small tiara rested on. Her makeup was also perfect and she was rather impressed with the skill that these ladies have. It was a while longer before Amelia was ready to get married. The dress she had chosen was exactly what she had wanted and she was thankful that she had gotten a choice.

"You look beautiful, your Highness," Margareta told her as she finished lacing up the back of the gown.

Amelia smiled at the maid before shaking her head and admonishing her (jokingly) for calling her your Highness. She had told Margareta that it was unnecessary multiple times but the maid wouldn't stop.

Amelia looked up to stare at herself in the large mirror and she was astonished to see her reflection. She did look beautiful. Her dress was completely lace with flowy lace sleeves and a nude slip underneath. The front came down a little further than she had ever shown before but she was getting married today so she wanted to look good for Lynus.

"Let's go do this," she said before turning to head toward the door.

He hadn't expected to feel so... nervous. It was a political marriage, and when it was done, he would take Amelia away from here and leave her to live her life in peace. He didn't need her to love him, or bear him children - something his parents had been increasingly anxious about. And so why were his palms sweating and why did his collar feel so tight.

"Stop fidgeting." Arryn muttered from his side after he'd tugged at the collar for the fifth time.

There were only a few people in the room, but even still his mother had saw to it that it was decorated with fresh blooms and lit with candles in countless lanterns that hung from the ceiling. Arryn remained firmly by his side, his mother and father and their guards, and the priest brought here to marry them. Seats remained for those who would accompany Amelia, and ever so often he looked anxiously over his shoulder toward the empty archways.

"She'll be here." Arryn rumbled quietly at him, as though sensing his thoughts.

"I wouldn't blame her if she made a run for it.." Lynus muttered back and faced forward, drawing a deep breath as he waited..

Amelia stood near the archway for a good five minutes before finally calming herself down enough to enter the room. Sweet Margareta had been nothing but support and sweetness through her mini panic attack and now she was ready. She would marry Lynus, they would leave on their honeymoon, and she would never return.

So why was she nervous? Why was she concerned that he wouldn't think she looked pretty in the dress? Why did she even care what he thought? She knew the answer, of course, because she had grown fond of the Prince in their short time together and she did want to see them happy together.

Finally, Amelia stepped under the archway into the beautifully yet simply decorated room. She saw The back of Lynus' head and immediately thought about running but Margareta put a gentle hand on her shoulder and whispered something encouraging that Amelia forgot almost instantly in her nerves.

There was no music as she walked toward her future husband and she could swear that the entire room could feel her heart beating.

The nudge at his side dragged his mind back into the room. He looked to Arryn, and followed the jerk of his chin, turning to set his gaze upon Amelia. There was no disputing that she was beautiful, she could've worn rags and it would still have been obvious, but the sight of her now caused his chest to tighten and his breath to halt. He tried to smile, but his expression was frozen in a look of complete awe, his mouth open without words or breath.

'Lucky bastard..' Arryn murmured close to him, and his hand came down on his shoulder. Lynus finally let go of the breath he'd been holding, and it shuddered out.

Lynus hadn't been lucky at all, his life had been one trauma after another but for the first time, as he watched her walk toward him like a fucking goddess, he wished she wasn't leaving. It felt selfish, knowing how miserable she would be. She deserved far better than him..

She walked the aisle to the sound of gasps and whispers, fawning over how stunning she looked, and he stepped into the aisle to meet her. Words turned to stone in his throat, and so he cleared it awkwardly before a genuine smile broke the dumfounded look that he wore..

"Amelia.. I.." he stumbled and laughed quietly at himself. "My Lady you put the angels to shame.." he sighed, and following a quiet cough from his mother he remembered himself and bowed before offering his hand.

"If you're ready..." he said.. "If you're sure." he added quietly.

Amelia's breath caught as Lynus turned around to look at her. He was gorgeous and she was pretty sure she felt her heart skip a few beats. She let out a slow breath as she continued her walk while her future husband just stared at her for a few moments like an idiot.

He finally stepped into the aisle and the way he stumbled over his words made her smile. She felt a blush bloom on her cheeks when he complimented her. "Oh...uh...thank you..." She stumbled over her own words as she responded to his.

"I am ready," Amelia smiled and took his offered hand. "And I am sure," she offered her own curtsy.

The corners of his eyes creased slightly as he smiled at her as she curtsied, and he brought her hand to his lips to press a light kiss on her knuckles, his gaze locked with hers. She really did seem sure, and he really did feel far more at ease than he'd expected to. The murmuring around them settled down and the officiant cleared his throat, and so Lynus straightened and led Amelia to the altar to stand before it as he had done once before.

Lord Feras was a revered friend of the royal family, and had officiated in all royal matters for a great number of years, even his parents' joining. The man had never not been old to Lynus, and yet he never seemed to change much.

"Blessings on this day, your Highnesses, My Lords and Ladies and those who join us to witness the joining of Prince Lynus Anireth, and Lady Amelia of House Pirian." he opened his arms to gesture the few witnesses who had attended with a wide smile.

"My Prince, My Lady, Are you both here on this day of pledged troth by your own freewill?" he asked. Lynus could sense his father's discomfort at the question, a thought that almost made him smirk. Instead he dipped his chin.

"I am, My Lord." And all eyes fell to Amelia.

While Amelia had said she was sure and her demeanor seemed to make that point as well, she was terrified. She was sure but she was also unsure at the same time. She was worried about her future with this man. Would he ever love her? Would she ever love him? There were so many questions and so much unknown.

Her thoughts m were elsewhere as they stepped up to the altar and were treated by the officiant.

"My Prince, My Lady, Are you both here on this day of pledged troth by your own freewill?"

Amelia looked at Lynus with a small smile as he answered in the affirmative. She, too, had been worried about him flat out saying no and leaving her at the altar. She had wanted a small ceremony for his sake but there was a piece of her mind that worried for her own humiliation.

“I am, My Lord,” she answered in the same manner that Lynus had.

With both having spoken, Lord Feras continued.. "In as much as this Prince and Lady have pledged their troth to be married this day, we call upon the Gods to bless this union. If anyone can show just cause, why they may not be joined together, by God's Law, or the Laws of the Realm; let them now speak, or else hereafter keep silent for all time."

Nobody spoke in the brief moment of silence that passed, and so the Lord lifted an ornate sword from the altar. The blade of Anireth.

"Swear you now, Prince Lynus Anireth, on this sacred blade, that there is no reason known to you that this union should not proceed." he asked.

"I do so swear."

"And swear you now, Lady Amelia of House Pirian, on this sacred blade, that there is no reason known to you that this union should not proceed."

There was silence as no one objected and she expected nothing less. She didn’t have some secret lover who would come traipsing in at the last minute to save her from marrying the cruel prince. This was also not some horror book because Lynus was far from cruel.

Again, Amelia followed what Lynus did when she answered the next question. She had not been prepped on how to get married but both he and the officiant seemed quite helpful.

“I do so swear,” she said softly.

The Lord lowered the blade, and clasped his hands. "Do you Prince Lynus Anireth, take as your wife, the Lady Amelia Pirian, and pledge unto her before the Gods and witnesses here her protector, defender and sure resort, to honour and sustain her, in sickness and in health, in fair and in foul, with all your worldly powers, to cherish and forsaking all others, keep her only, so long as you both shall live?"

Lynus hesitated. He dropped his gaze, felt the eyes burning into him and his words seemed to turn to stone in his throat. It was a lie to the Gods, given their plans. He had known this, but he wasn't one to break oaths and this was one oath he had fully intended on breaking for her sake. Yes, for her sake he was about to marry her then take her miles from here and leave her there. His jaw clenched and he cleared his throat before lifting his gaze once more, a glance spared to Arryn first, who nodded, then to his mother who smiled and his father who looked like he'd mount his head on the wall if he chose now to go back on his word. And then to Amelia, who had deserved so much better than any of this... He had promised to try, and hells if he was going to humiliate her now.

"I do." he said to her before turning his gaze back to Lord Feras with a single nod.

The tension in the room eased, and Lord Feras looked to Amelia now. "And do you Lady Amelia Pirian, take Prince Lynus Anireth to be your rightful Husband and pledge unto him before the Gods and the witnesses present, to honour and cherish him, in sickness and in health, in fair and in foul, be his one true and lasting counsellor and solace, and forsaking all others, keep him only, so long as you both shall live?"

With each question, with each vow, they got closer to being wed. They would soon be husband and wife. She would be Princess Amelia Anireth, wife of Prince Anireth.

She could feel her heart rate speed up slightly as she thought about the Lords words and her very soon to be husbands answer.

Amelia looked over at Lynus, studying his face one more time before answering.

“I do,” she answered.

Lynus could only stare at the floor as he awaited her answer. She had every right to reject this marriage and he wouldn't have blamed her for a moment, but something in his chest had tightened as he waited. Her answer, however, seemed to surprise him, and he looked at her now with his brows rising. The knot in his chest loosened and a breath tumbled out as he smiled.

Arryn stepped up now, and handed each of them a ring. The bands were silver, a single star engraved into the larger of the two, and several on the smaller. Lord Feras spoke again. "May the Gods bless these rings which Prince Lynus and Lady Amelia will wear as visible signs of the inward and spiritual bond which unites their hearts. As they give and receive these rings, may they testify to the world of the covenant made between them."

Lynus took Amelia's left hand and slid the band onto her ring finger. "Amelia, receive and wear this ring as a symbol of my trust, my respect and my vows made to you today." he said, and nodded for her to repeat.

The ring that Lynus slipped onto her slender finger was beautiful but it was also the most beautiful shackle. No, it wasn’t a shackle, he was letting her go. It was only a symbol.

She looked at the ring and then back up at Lynus as she listened to his vow. So sweet and even she was almost convinced that he did want to marry her.

Amelia took his left hand and slid the bigger ring onto his second finger as she spoke the words he had spoken. “Lynus, receive and wear this ring as a symbol of my trust, my respect and my vows made to you today.”

"This circle will now seal the vows of this marriage and will symbolise the purity and endlessness of their love. We will now perform the ancient tradition of hand fasting." he smiled, and Lynus took both of her hands in his. The Queen stepped forward, and placed a cord over their joined hands.

"Her Royal Highness the Queen will now place the burgundy cord to symbolise romance, partnership and happiness.." Feras said, and she did so, laying the cord over their joined hands.

"His Royal Highness the King will now place the ivory cord which stands for peace, sincerity and devotion." he added, and the King did so.

"His Royal guard, Ser Arryn Cross will now place the gold cord, which stands for peace, sincerity and devotion." and Arryn did, with a sincere smile to both of them.

"I will now tie the cords together to signify the tying of the knot." Lord Feras said as he did so. "As this knot is tied, so are your lives now bound. Woven into this cord, imbued into its very fibres, are all the hopes of your friends and family, and of yourselves, for a new life together."

"With the fashioning of this knot you tie all desires, dreams, love, and happiness wished here in this place to your lives for as long as your love shall last."

"In the joining of hands and the fashioning of a knot, so are your lives now bound, one to another. By this knot you are thus now and forevermore bound to your vow. May these cords draw your hands together in love, never to be used in anger."

"May the vows you have spoken never grow bitter in your mouths. Two entwined in love, bound by commitment and fear, sadness and joy, by hardship and victory, anger and reconciliation, all of which brings strength to this union. Hold tight to one another through both good times and bad, and watch as your strength grows."

"I shall now remove the cords." he said with a smile, and Lynus let go of Amelia's hands, leaving the knot ever tied. The cords were placed on the altar atop the blade, and Lord Faras turned to the room once more.

"You have pledged troth of your own free will and sworn upon the Sword. You have exchanged rings, spoken your vow and have been bound together by the ritual of the cords. May it be granted that what is done before the Gods be not undone by man."

"And so finally, by the Power Vested in me by the Realm. I now pronounce you husband and wife. Long life and happiness, My Prince Lynus Anireth, and My Princess Amelia Anireth. You may now share your first kiss as man and wife."

Amelia did not take her eyes off Lynus as his parents and best friends placed the cords on their joined hands. She wondered what he was thinking about. On her mind was the fact that he had made these same vows before with someone that he had truly loved. She imagined that their wedding was much happier than this wedding born from duty.

Once the officiant was done and had removed the cord, she felt her heart speed up again. She knew what came next. The kiss. She was excited and nervous at the same time.

My Princess Amelia Anireth was what did her in and she felt the realness finally hit. Princess...Amelia...Anireth. No longer single, no longer a Pirian.

"You may now share your first kiss as man and wife."

She smiled as she took a single step forward to kiss her husband. Their lips met and she felt a weird feeling in her stomach. Oh gods...I like him...

It wasn't a kiss steeped in love. How could it be? But it was one that he had expected to feel wrong, to drown him in guilt. There was definite fear there, but it tightened only momentarily in his chest before his tension seemed to melt away. His hand rose to her face, her skin smooth under the subtle brush of his thumb.

It wasn't a kiss steeped in love, but it held promise. It spoke wordlessly of curiosity and approval and respect. He was vaguely aware of the soft sound of jubilant conversation and applause from those few who bore witness, and less aware of how long he allowed the kiss to linger for. He even left a smaller, sweeter kiss at the corner of her lips before he broke away and met her gaze with a smile in his eyes.

Lynus' hand caressed her cheek and she brought her own hands to his shoulders. She was not aware of anything else in the room as she kissed her husband. She could feel the hope for their future in that kiss and she hoped he would not be upset if she decided to stay here.

The Prince finally pulled away and she couldn't help but look up at him like she was seeing him for the first time.

"Lynus...I..." Her words faltered right before she leaned in to kiss him gently once more.

There was a fleeting flutter of confusion as she faltered and leaned in once more, but it was quickly replaced with subtle surprise as she kissed him again. This was different. This wasn't for political reasons, it wasn't in the ritual of marriage. It wasn't.. necessary. It was something it seemed that she wanted to do, and a million thoughts crashed into his mind all at once.

He wouldn't make her happy...
She needs to leave this place...
He shouldn't kiss her back...
But he did.

He drew both of his hands to her face this time, and before she could pull away he held her there, his head dipped and his kiss deepened as his heart stumbled. He'd almost forgotten what this had felt like, and how much he'd missed affection. He'd once been so attentive and tactile, he'd appreciated things like he did right now; the scent of her hair and how smooth her skin was. No smile or laugh was ever taken for granted, but he supposed that was what made it so difficult to live without.

Amelia was his wife; and yes she was leaving, but, how much more damage could it do to enjoy such things whilst she remained here?

A lot, but he was used to heartache anyway.

His parents were positively beaming at them as he finally let the kiss break, his nose gently grazing hers before he straightened. He caught Arryn looking at him, his gaze distant but a small smile on his lips none-the-less.

"Congratulations, to our Prince and Princess - the Gods have blessed this union!" Lord Feras proclaimed with a thunderous clap of his hands. Further congratulations followed, his father's hand coming down hard on his shoulder in a pat of approval and a kiss on his cheek from his mother before she gushed over Amelia. Arryn was next to embrace him, and Lynus noted that it seemed a tighter hug than those he normally gave.

"I am happy for you, brother." he said sincerely, clasping the back of his neck and grinning widely before he turned to bow to Amelia.

"My Princess." he said with his hand on his chest. "My blade is yours as it is his." he said, and stood as someone called.

"Let's eat!"

Amelia's thoughts were not as complex or confusing as Lynus' as they kissed. There was anxiety that he would be upset that she may stay or that she would make a terrible Princess or that he would be happier without her. She was sure that she was the luckiest girl in the world though. She was married to one of the hottest men who had ever graced Vel Anir and he was hers.

Lynus moved back from her and they were immediately bombarded by his parents. They were beaming and both gave Amelia a hug before his mother started to tell her what an excellent choice she made on her dress. The approval from the Queen meant more to Amelia than she thought was possible. Perhaps it was because she had a new mother (in-law, of course) and this mother seemed much better than hers.

Once the Queen and King had finished their congratulations, Arryn stepped in to speak. Amelia smiled as he bowed to her and said that his blade was hers. He was a good man, a good man, and a good guard. She was happy that Arryn was in their life.

"Thank you," she said with a sweet smile curving her lips.

"Let's eat!"

"Yes," Amelia said with a squeeze of her husband's hand. "I haven't eaten at all today!"

Lynus offered his wife his arm to escort her to the large family dining room which had been set up to host a feast. The table was piled with roasted meats and vegetables and cakes and pastries and wines and fruits. The cooks and servers lined up, smiling warmly and curtsying at the Prince and Princess as Lynus led her to the two large chairs at the centre of the long table.

He ushered Amelia into her chair before he sat too, and everyone else followed suit once the pair were seated. There were some kind words shared and toasts to the new Princess made, and Lynus felt himself grow more and more relaxed as the wine flowed.. The mood in the room was a jovial one, and as the conversations separated into several, Lynus reached to take Amelia's hand in his..

"I hope the day hasn't been too torturous for you.." he said quietly, so that only she could hear. "I'm afraid I have to be here for the tournament in two days time, and must ask you if you could endure until the morning after. Then, I promise, we will leave and I will take you wherever it is you wish to go."