Private Tales To Have and to Hold..

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Amelia told herself to walk further away from the room. It was not proper for her to be listening to their conversation. She needed to force herself to get off the wall and walk away. Instead, she just jumped like a child who got caught with her hand in the cookie jar when Arryn spoke.

"No, I am not alrig..." Amelia started before the King stepped out of the study.

The King looked at her with that expression that spoke volumes. He knew something was wrong. "Yes, your Highness, I just got lost trying to find my room. Arryn was nice enough to hunt me down since I am hopeless," her smile did not reach her eyes.

She doubted the King would believe her excuse but she couldn't complain to his parents about their son. They were both adults who were put into a terrible situation. They had a duty to perform.

Arryn straightened, his throat clearing awkwardly.. He'd opened his mouth to answer and froze, realising that he could not exactly lie, nor did he want to cause Lynus any more grief. A breath came tumbling out in a sigh of relief as Amelia spoke first, and not of Lynus, and he offered a tight smile and a short bow to the King.

The King dipped his chin, but the way in which he looked at Arryn sent a shudder down the guard's back. He'd been reprimanded several times for covering for Lynus, but at least this time the assurance that everything was fine had not come from his mouth.

"This way, My Lady." he stepped back and turned gesturing along the hallway.

"Rest well, Amelia dear." the King said with some semblance of sympathy in his voice.

Arryn glanced behind him, ensuring they were out of earshot before he sighed. "Thank you for that.." he rubbed at the back of his neck. "Would you, care to walk in the gardens?"

Amelia bowed her head to the King and then started to walk with Arryn.

"Don't thank me," Amelia quipped back at Arryn in a tone that was a little harsher than she meant. "It was my payment for getting you in trouble with the Prince." The tone softened that time.

Yes, she had purposely not said his name. If she did not give him a name then she could not be attached or hurt by his words. Amelia looked up at Arryn and shrugged slowly.

"Yes, I suppose that is better than wallowing by myself," she agreed. Her other option was to sit in her room and be reminded of the sister who she was doing this for.

Arryn's lips thinned into a tight smile and he nodded awkwardly, the woman's ire quite palpable. His eyes softened as she agreed to accompany him however, and he offered his arm to guide her down the grand staircase and outside into the crisp, night air.

Torches staked into the ground at either side of a gravel path led their way around the outskirt of the main garden, and after a while of enjoying the sound of the fountain's song and chorus of crickets, Arryn spoke.

"I hope you will not hold it against him, My Lady. He has a good heart, it's just... A little battered is all." he spoke quietly, glancing down at her. "He told me that you are to leave, after the wedding." he added in an even quieter tone, quickly adding some assurance.. "You can trust me, Lynus is a brother to me, I wouldn't betray his confidence, nor yours." he cleared his throat..

"It will be a shame to see you leave so soon."

Amelia looked at Arryn's arm for a moment before she slipped her arm through his. Arryn was a gentleman and she did appreciate him coming to find her. She would have at least one person she could stand until she left since it was certainly not going to be her future husband with his terrible attitude.

"It isn't like I wanted this either but I, at least, try to give a shit since we will be married whether he likes it or not. We cannot get out of it..."

Amelia looked up at him and sighed softly before continuing. Honestly? She was glad he knew. She did not have to pretend around Arryn now.

"Yes, that is the plan as of now. I will go back to Elbion and I will, hopefully, bring Kristen with me. She is not meant to be forced to be a Dreadlord. She is a Lady and she should live as one." That reminded Amelia that she needed to go see Kristen so they could talk about everything.

"It will not be a shame. You do not know me, Arryn. I would make the worst Princess. I speak my mind and that ruffles feathers. I also do not enjoy peoples bullshit," she added as they continued their walk.

"Do you think the Prince will ever like me?" Her voice was so quiet as she asked. She was not sure if she wanted to answer. She was not sure why she even cared what he thought of her.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Lynus Anireth
Arryn was solemnly silent as she spoke of her plans to leave for Elbion with her sister. He didn't envy a single kid at that academy, and so he understood why any would want to rescue their loved ones from such a place. It had at least changed for the better since the revolution, but still...

He looked down at her with a wolfish grin that spread until he laughed. "That must be why I like you. And it seems, that you have more in common with our Prince as you realise." he mused with a subtle wink, but his amusement was swept from his face by her question and he paused, turning to face her.

"You think he dislikes you?" he frowned. "My Lady, I am quite certain Lynus admires that fiery attitude of yours, I know I do." he cleared his throat and dropped his gaze. "I..He's been through a lot. You've only known one another for a day, and he thinks you're going to leave as soon as the wedding is over.. He asked me to accompany you, to ensure your safety on the road. He doesn't trust anyone else... If he didn't like you, why would he care?"

"If it's any consolation, he hasn't really spoken to many people, not meaningfully. Today was the first day he'd been in the gardens since.."

Amelia smiled and shook her head at Arryn's comment about why he liked her. His comment about her and the Prince having more in common than she realized made her almost pause on asking her own question. Almost.

The future Princess squeezed Arryn's arm softly. He was lovely and nicer than his Prince. She did have to admit that he was right though. They did not know each other and it was not like she had been great this morning when she snapped at him.

She had a follow-up question for Arryn but she stopped walking and looked up at him. Lynus had not been to the gardens since his wife had died...and he had brought her there. She supposed that could mean something.

"Arryn, what happened to his wife?" Amelia doubted he would tell her but she needed to know and she had a feeling that Lynus had no desire to talk to her.

Sadness glazed his eyes at the question she asked. She supposed it was only a matter of time before she knew, and truthfully it was better to have asked him than to have asked Lynus. He rubbed at the back of his neck, the conflict clearly visible on his face. They didn't talk about it, but informing her would perhaps give the Prince's betrothed some understanding of why he was the way he was, and it would perhaps prevent the subject being brought up to Lynus instead.

"Selena was.. Actually she was quite like you. I'm sure you'd have both gotten along had you known her." he laughed under his breath, a fondness in the small smile he wore. He knew the similarities would not have been lost on Lynus, and he could only suppose that made this union all the more difficult for him.

Arryn turned on his heels, his arm still hooked around Amelia's as he walked her along the gravel path into the gardens, the night sky clear above them. "The Princess died through complications whilst giving birth to their son." he answered, glancing down at her. "I'd caution you not to broach the subject with Lynus.." he added quietly.

"He's a good man, My Lady, he's simply a broken one. The happiness he'd felt with her, expecting that they'd share a long life and raise a child together. To have all of that ripped away in a single day.." his head shook. "I don't know that anyone would ever come back from it.. But things are certainly better than they had been some months ago, at least."

• Cry
Reactions: AmeliaPirian
She was like Selena. Of course that added to the reasons Lynus did not care for her. Perhaps if she was boring and a proper lady that would be better.

Amelia felt sick as Arryn told her what had happened to Lynus' wife.

"Fuck," she responded.

"Fucking hell," Amelia repeated crassly.

"Shit," she cursed again.

She pulled her arm from Arryn's and rubbed her forehead like she had a massive headache all of a sudden. He had not just lost the woman he loved, he had lost his son. Fuck. Fuuuucccckkkkk.

"He is right," she said quietly and played with her hands idly. "I will be miserable if I stay. There is no chance to even be happy with him..."

Amelia started to walk again with a worried and sad look on her face now.

Arryn hesitantly reached to settle a hand on Amelia's shoulder, as though it might tether her to the ground should she decide that bolting would be a better option. His lips pressed into a thin line as she cursed and fretted, and he glanced back toward the keep anxiously, as though half expecting to see Lynus at a window or balcony, listening to him talk about what he ought not to be.

The guard's brow furrowed at the Lady's answer to what he'd told her, and his stomach dipped a little as it seemed he may have just solidified her decision to leave. "I.. Do not think you'd be miserable. It may take him a while to get used to things but, I'm certain that he'd enjoy your company and eventually, I'm sure you'd both be very happy, even if he doesn't believe that." he rumbled quietly, keeping his voice low to prevent from being overheard.

The moons were silver coins in the sky, and they lent their light generously to the gardens as they walked through them, the night roses in full bloom and the scent of lilac and lavender strong on the air. "I care about him, My Lady." Arryn said with a sigh. "His parents do too, and yes this may be a political move but.. he needs company, he needs a distraction, or he'll end up in an early grave. He's lucky to be alive as it is."

Arryn's hand on her shoulder was comforting and she was, once again, thankful for him. He was a good man who loved his Prince and wanted his Prince to be happy again. It was that simple. He also believed that she had a chance of doing that. Amelia felt a small bit of hope bloom inside her.

"I feel like I just make everything worse. I do not even know how to help him. He does not want my company and I know there is some time but I am afraid if I do leave...he will fall back into his normal habits. If he does that then I have no doubts that his parents would send people to find me. That is what I am worried about in addition to everything else."

Once she was done speaking, she just let out a dry laugh. Low and harsh.

"Tell me about yourself, Arryn. How did you become Lynus' best friend and personal guard?" It was very clear that they were closer than just guard and Prince.

Last edited:
"Believe me.." Arryn laughed under his breath and arched his brow at her. "You're not making anything worse, My Lady." he smirked, though there was no mirth in it. The Prince had been in a bad way for a long time, and as much as he disagreed that he should be forced into another marriage, he couldn't bear to watch him go on as he had been for much longer.

"He needs to remember who he was, who he can be again. I think if you got to know that Lynus, you might not want to leave after all..." Arryn shrugged. Lynus had told Arryn of his intention to help Amelia get out of Vel'Anir after their marriage, and he had made his views on that matter quite clear.

"Forgive me, My Lady... But if he believes that it is your intention to leave, I very much doubt that he will have any desire to get to know you well enough to miss your company when you're gone.. But, I wouldn't worry about his parents sending anyone to find you. So long as the news isn't yet, 'out there'.. It'll be less hassle for them to find someone else than it would to track you down. I think Lynus believes that they'll leave him alone after you're gone but, i'm not so sure." he gave a dry smile and turned to walk.

The question about himself had caught him off-guard, and he flustered a little. It wasn't often people asked about his life. "I've known Lynus since we were boys. I used to climb the garden walls to steal fruit from the orchard. Lynus spotted me one day and every day after that we'd play and practice swordplay and such.." he laughed fondly at the memory. "I was an orphan and I had no home. I was caught by a guard one day and rather than face punishment, Lynus convinced his father to allow me to stay in the keep. I was given a room in the servant's quarters and helped in the kitchens, but I turned out to be a bit of a menace so Lynus convinced his father that he needed a squire when he was only eight years old." he laughed.

"So I got the job, and we've been like brothers ever since."

Amelia considered Arryn's words. If she got to know the real him then, perhaps, she would want to stay but she had to be honest with him as well. She could not pretend to fall in love with him while planning on leaving...that was unnecessarily cruel.

"Arryn, how do I get to know him while still being honest? I do not know if leaving will happen but I do not want to hurt him if I do. I also do not want to miss out on something that could have been a beautiful love..." Amelia's voice trailed off.

She had not considered ever loving Lynus and right now it was definitely a far off thought but the what ifs still lingered. What if they could be happy? What if Kristen did not want to leave the Academy? What if she threw it all away because she was afraid and selfish? So many answers and no answers.

With the subject change, Amelia could not help but laugh at Arryn's story. Arryn hardly seemed like a menace but she was sure there was hint of mischief she had caught a couple times already.

"I cannot believe the King and Queen allowed their eight year old son to have a squire. Royals are a strange bunch," she laughed out again.

"So give me some advice then, please. I want to know Lynus and I know I fucked up this morning."

Last edited:
"Being honest is precisely the best way to get to know him. He despises games, it's why he struggles with social occassions." Arryn laughed quietly. "He.. disagrees with pretending to like people because of their social standing. Lynus could have had any royal, noble or rich friend that he wanted but he'd rather have played swords barefoot in the dirt with me.." the guard grinned, and then shook his head.

"I suppose what i'm trying to say, is that you don't seem the sort of person to hide behind your titles, he values that sort of honesty and ability to speak your mind the way you do. He'd rather know who you really are and what you really want so just be you. Yesterday was I think the longest conversation he's had with anyone in a long time, other than with me, and even that's difficult at times."

Arryn sighed "My advice is to make your decision, and stick with it. His siblings were sent away when he was young, his best friend was killed, his wife and.. He's been dealt a rough hand, My Lady, and he's only human. He's capable of love, i've seen that first hand, and I know he can make a good husband. He expects you to leave, and so understandably he's not about to let you in. I can't tell you to stay, that's your choice to make and you need to do what is right by you. But, you deserve to know the truth of what he's been through and to know that he's a good man." he smiled solemnly.

Amelia took in all of Arryn’s words of advice and nodded solemnly. He was right, of course. She needed to make a decision. She barely knew him though. She needed to get to know him some before she could make a decision.

She let a long sigh and rubbed her forehead like she was trying to wipe away the worries and fears.

“Can you bring me to him, please? I believe I need to apologize and I need to start getting to know my very soon to be husband,” her eyes still held a hint of sadness but it needed to be done.

She was not sure what decision she would make but she needed to talk to Lynus regardless.

Arryn gave a tight smile and dipped his head in a bow. "As you wish, My Lady." he answered and turned them around to lead her back into the keep. When they arrived back at the doors of the Prince's chambers, Arryn politely asked that Amelia remain outside and allow him to announce her presence. He'd found Lynus in some states before and the last thing he wanted was for either of them to be caused any further embarrassment.

He was in and out of the room in only a few seconds before bowing once more as he directed Amelia inside. "I shall be outside. Thank you for a pleasant walk, My Lady." he smiled to her, and let the door click gently shut behind him.

The Prince's chambers flickered with a dim, orange glow, but otherwise the moonlight remained the only light that streamed into the rooms. The large, glass door that led out onto the balcony was open, and Lynus stood outside, his elbows propped on the stone as he stared out across the gardens. His hair was wet, so too was the white cotton shirt he wore, as though he'd dunked himself in cold water to sober up a little.

He waited there, drawing a deep breath of air and sighing it back out before he heard her close enough that she'd hear him speak. "I don't expect your forgiveness, or your understanding, but I am sorry." he said with a quiet huff.

Amelia waited at the door like Arryn had asked. She had learned her lesson after pushing in last time. She knew that this was a learning curve for all of them (Arryn included) and she needed to start trying whether she was leaving or not. Being respectful of Arryn's orders was a first, small step.

She barely finished her thoughts when Arryn came back out of the room. She nodded at his thank you and then stepped inside. It did not take long for her eyes to fall on her fiance and she started to walk towards him. The words I am so sorry, Lynus were already on her lips when he spoke first.

"I don't expect your forgiveness, or your understanding, but I am sorry."

The little huff at the end of the apology made her smile as she came to stand next to him on the balcony.

"No, Lynus, I am sorry. I should not have forced Arryn to let me in or dared to speak to you the way I did. It was very rude and I am sorry..."

Her words hung in the air around them. "And I understand, Lynus. You have not been dealt an easy hand and I have come in to turn things upside down once again," she paused for only a moment before continuing. "I was hoping that perhaps I could help you with finding some other outlet for your pain besides getting blackout drunk?"

His head turned only slightly as she apologised in turn, enough to acknowledge what she'd said, but not enough to look at her. "I suppose it's only fair that you wanted to know who you are marrying." he answered quietly and laced his fingers together, his head bowed as he leaned against the cold stone.

Everything she said next made him tense. She understood? Easy hand?.. Outlet for his pain?

"Arryn told you, did he?" he asked in a indiscernible tone, but his head shook, betraying his annoyance. He didn't speak of it, and so nobody else should. He didn't want pity, he wanted to forget.

"Forgive me, Amelia... But you can't possibly understand. There is no... outlet. They wouldn't let me have death, nor Shade, and so getting 'blackout drunk' is the only damned thing that gives me a little peace." he answered, his tone calm and quiet despite how his insides roiled with adrenalin.

"You are a kind and beautiful soul, Lady Pirian. Even after only a day of knowing you, that much is clear. But I'd like you to consider...reconsidering. You deserve better than something as broken as I." he sighed and lifted his head to look across the gardens once more.

"Some things cannot be put back together, no matter how hard we try."

Amelia looked down at her own clasped hands and immediately regretted coming her. She regretted speaking. She regretted not just staying in her rooms for three days and then leaving forever.

She couldn't seem to do anything right. She couldn't say anything right.

"You are correct, Lynus. I do not understand. I have never been in love and I have never lost anyone. I am but a silly little girl who knows nothing of life at all," Amelia paused as he continued to speak of she was a king and beautiful soul.

She couldn't help the huff that came out. "I am a selfish soul who wants nothing more than what is best for myself," she continued to look out over the gardens with a frown curving lips.

"I will go if you want me to..." Amelia's voice trailed off at the end. She was trying. She was trying so hard.

"That's not true.." he murmured. "You know what you want and you're brave enough to take it, regardless of the consequence. You're not silly at all..".. Not like most of the highborn women he'd met in his life. "Nor are you selfish. You want to help your sister.. Even if that means marrying into a life of misery.." he laughed under his breath and slowly straightened, his arms stretching above his head before he turned to look at her, his expression tired and apologetic.

"I feel as awful as I look.." he smirked dryly. "But I don't mind if you stay.." he said with a light frown, slightly confused as to why she would want to.

Lynus was right. She was doing all of this for her sister. She hoped Kristen understood that and would come with her. She hoped Kristen would be ready to leave right away.

"Good, now if you will excuse me for a second," Amelia smiled at the Prince before turning and walking to the door.

She opened it and smiled at Arryn, who was waiting on the other side of the door. "Arryn, could you get Lynus some tea or order it or whatever it is that you do here? Lemon, ginger, and honey."

Once he had left, she closed the door again and walked back out to the balcony. "I have something coming that will help you feel better. Patented hangover cure that we used at Elbion a lot." Amelia paused and bit her bottom lip, "I mean...they used it...a lot." She looked down with a small I just got caught smile.

He turned fully to watch her go toward the door with a look of dubiety, leaning back against the balcony and letting his arms fold across his chest. He really did look terrible. The white undershirt he wore, untucked into his black breeches, was sodden with sweat that smelled of alcohol. His eyes were dark with fatigue and his skin was pale. He ran his hands through the unruly locks of his hair, pushing it back before they ran down his face, rubbing at it as though trying to sober himself up a little more. Fuck, just being near him right now should be enough for her to run back to Elbion early.

Lynus listened to the muffled voices, and found himself watching her as she returned to the balcony. They weren't even married yet and she was trying to take care of him. His chest ached at that, but the shame he felt sent a fresh wave of nausea crashing over him. He swallowed hard and drew in a deep breath. She knew everything, he reminded himself. She could judge him all she wanted but even if she couldn't truly understand what he felt, she could surely understand why he did what he did.

Something made his cheeks flush. The nausea, likely, but he found himself conjuring a half smirk at her slip up. "Will you tell me more about it?.. What you did there?.. What you plan to do when you go back?" he asked in a quiet rumble. Fuck knows he could use a distraction.

"I will tell you if you change," Amelia said as she settled into the chair that she had commandeered when he was passed out.

Eventually, she started to speak again. To answer his questions. She was not really sure why he cared but she actually liked it and she was glad he had asked.

"I was training with my magic. It is simple magic and it was more of an excuse to get away. I," she paused as she debated if she should tell him about her reasons. "I was never good at the games that the Noble daughters played so I was happy to leave."

She paused and sat back in the chair.

"Anyways, it was like any experience where you put a bunch of young adults in a college. There was some studying and a lot of partying." Amelia chuckled lightly. "I suppose I will find a job when I get back. Honestly...I have no idea..."

Amelia felt like she was starting to just sound like an idiot at this point.

• Popcorn
His brow quirked as she requested that he change, and he looked down at himself before clearing his throat and giving a quick nod. She had a point, and his cheeks flushed a deep red. He tugged off the shirt as he stepped into his bathing chambers, tossing it aside and dunking his head into the basin of fresh water, then drying off and rinsing his mouth with mint water. Lynus glared at the reflection in the polished silver mirror that hung on the wall as some sort of torment. Each day the man in it grew that bit more weary and unrecognisable. That bit more pathetic..

He was towel drying his hair when he wandered back into his bedroom, rivulets of water racing down his bare torso. He bore scars here and there from training and battle and tournaments, and one that'd been burned in the shape of a cross on the inside of his arm. He selected a fresh, dark-grey shirt from the ornate armoire in the corner of the room and pulled it on as he walked back to sit up on his bed.

Lynus listened to her with growing intrigue, and suddenly found he had many questions. His nausea had subsided, the pounding in his head a little more tolerable as he had something else to think about. His lips twitched into some semblance of a smirk as she mentioned the parties, but he couldn't help but frown as she spoke of finding a job.

"Well.. What is it that you want to do? If a job is what you want, then by all means.. But I intend to see to it that you have all the coin you'll ever need. You should do whatever makes you happy, and you won't need to play the games that ,sadly, I must endure." he laughed under his breath. "I like that you were hopeless at them. I am too." he admitted, combing his fingers back through his damp hair.

"So.. How did you manage to avoid the academy? Those Proctors can sniff out a drop of magic for miles around. I'm still not quite sure how they do it.." his head shook.

Amelia tried to look away from her shirtless fiancé but, instead, she found herself studying the marks he had acquired in his life. The cross was the one that stood out and she seemed to stare at it until his shirt going over his head tore her attention away.

"I have no idea. I, honestly, do not have a plan and now that I think about that, it seems silly to even want to go back," Amelia frowned now. She had been so concerned with Kristen that she had not even thought about herself. That seemed about right. Amelia had pretty much raised Kristen so, of course, she would worry about her little sister first.

A small heh escaped her lips when Lynus said that he liked that she was also hopeless at the Noble games. She had hated the games and the gossip so very much. She still did but she had been so far from it for so long now. She had no desire to play again. Ever.

"Well...magic!" Amelia laughed out before shaking her head. "No no, we were just secretive. We did not speak about it and we certainly did not use it. Kristen only went to the Academy last year when the revolution was over. My parents got it into their head that it would be good for the family. Sending a fucking fifteen year old to an Academy that has trained killers since they were five and six years old."

She studied Lynus' face for a few moments before she apologized for her outburst.

• Ctuhlu senpai