Private Tales To Have and to Hold..

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Well if there is worshipping that will take place, I may just have to stay around," she joked. It was a joke. Yes, it was a joke. Amelia Pirian would never be that forward and that was not even forward. Moving on...

He sat down next to her on the swing and started to rock them back and forth. She found it relaxing as he spoke about himself. She tucked away the knowledge and made special note of him liking to build things. It was not normal for nobility or royalty to enjoy things that required manual labor. It was nice to know he was indeed human and not just the Prince.

And then he broke the news of his late wife and Amelia looked at him with a frown on her face. There was genuine sorrow in her eyes. It made sense now why his parents were forcing this on him, why all the alcohol had been hidden, and why he was so pissed off. He must have loved his first wife and now he was going to marry her. A woman he barely knew and did not love. It was cruel, really.

Before she could express for condolences, Lynus asked her the same question. "I practically raised my little sister, Kristen, because my parents were always so busy. Mother had to be in the center of all House drama while father ran the business. They have used us as pawns in their game for the majority of our lives. I left and went to Elbio..." She stopped. She had been traveling...that was the story.

"I have been gone the last eight years. I only came back because my parents sent Kristen to the Dreadlord Academy last year. They want a Noble Dreadlord," Amelia rolled her eyes. "This," she gestured between them, "was an attempt to bring her home that my parents reneged on."

She was getting upset now. Her eyes were filling with the unshed tears that she had been holding in for so long. She had agreed to give up her life for her sisters and it was all for nothing. Her eyes betrayed her as a tear slipped down her cheek.

The Prince's eyes creased with amusement as he glanced up at her, holding her gaze for a short moment before his was once again downcast. He could practically feel the way she was looking at him as he mentioned his wife, but he didn't want to see sorrow or pity. He had enough of that for himself.

He was glad that she spoke of herself now, and he sat back to give her his attention, his feet still idly rocking the swing underneath them. His expression remained neutral as he listened intently, though he allowed a deep sigh in empathy to see her upset. "I'm sorry." he answered, producing a silken kerchief which he held out to her.

"It's a noble thing, to consider sacrificing your own happiness for the sake of your sister. The academy.. Isn't as bad as it was before, but if she doesn't want to be there, she should be free to make that choice. Get her out, if that is what she wants, and I will help you get far away from here." he promised with a firm nod, the truth of his words in his eyes.

Lynus offered her an apologetic smile and returned his gaze to the gardens, a muscle feathering in his jaw as he considered the questions he wanted to ask but that he felt somewhat nervous about the answers. His throat cleared after a brief silence and he resisted a glance at her.

"So Elbion.." he said stiffly. "I suppose, magical inclination runs in the family?" he asked carefully.

"Yes, I know if has changed but Kristen has only been there a year. She has more people who are mean to her than nice. She didn't grow up with them, she waltzed in at the age of fifteen and they resent her for it. I cannot say I blame them either..." Amelia accepted the kerchief with a smile.

"I will go visit her after we are married and find out what she wants to do. She will have a small heart attack when I inform her that I am now married to the Prince of Vel Anir, though." That drew a genuine chuckle from her lips. Imagining her reaction was indeed entertaining.

Amelia didn't mind the silence that fell between them. This was peaceful and, honestly, the most at peace she had felt in a very long time. Her betrothed, herself, and nature. It was beautiful.

And then he asked about Elbion and she flinched. She had let it slip so she couldn't blame him for asking. Vel Anir had changed after all. Noble children with magic where no longer hauled off like cattle to the Academy. Her parents wouldn't get in trouble for keeping both her and Kristen hidden. Not anymore. It was safe to talk about it.

"Yes, although mine is just basic magic. I do not have a big showy ability like the kids at the Academy. I just needed to leave and Elbion was a good place to go. I was there for eight years and had every intention of staying to do magical study and research but I returned."

Amelia smiled sheepishly at Lynus. She had just admitted she was a huge nerd. She was pretty sure that Prince's did not find studied women attractive.

Somehow, talking to Amelia wasn't as difficult as he found talking to most people. Perhaps it was that they'd given up on pleasantries and been open and honest with one another from the beginning. They weren't trying to impress one another, they were simply being them, without titles or pretence, as though they'd known one another for far longer than a few hours.

He couldn't help but let his lips kick up into a dry smirk at the sound of her chuckle, but the smirk faded as she told him of her magic. Basic or not, it was more than he had, and magic had a tendency to unnerve him. "I'll uh.. Try to stay on your good side." he laughed under his breath and rubbed at the back of his neck, growing at the all-too-familiar tension there.

The Prince's brow rose in silent surprise, studying her for a moment. "You really know what you want, don't you?" he asked with a slow nod. "Many think they know what they want and yet they continue to do nothing about it and conform to the laws of society. They do not see them for the chains they are.. The world is meant to progress, and so laws and rules must change.. It is commendable, that you know your own mind so well, My Lady. And that you use it."

"Very basic, my Prince," she said at his uneasy response to her. It was enough that she could defend herself but using her magic was never something she relied on. It was best to know all the ways one could protect themselves and that meant knowing magic and the mundane.

Amelia just looked at the Prince as he spoke to her. She used to know what she wanted. She was more sure this morning than she was now. Lynus was real. He was vulnerable and handsome. He was easy to talk to. He treated her like an equal even after she vowed to leave him. He was kind and she was fucked.

Every single instinct told her to get up and leave. Go to her room, wait out the three days, and then get out of Vel Anir. The emotional part of her did not want to though. She wanted to swing with Lynus in the peaceful garden his grandfather had built.

"I have always known but now...I am not so sure. It was always me before. Kristen was a young child. Now I have to think about her, me," Amelia paused and smiled up at the Prince, "and you." What was she saying? Why did it even matter that he was in her life now.

"I have more to consider than I ever did and I do not have long to decide, I suppose..."

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Lynus Anireth
"Lynus.." he corrected in a quiet rumble. "If we're to be wed I suppose we can afford to be a little more informal." he laughed under his breath and let his head fall back to look up into the weeping branches with a sigh. Every now and then the weight of it washed over him and dragged the air from his lungs. He'd never intended on marrying again, never intended on so much as smiling at another female again. As lovely as Amelia was, his chest ached with a knot of betrayal and his hand dragged down his face.

She had been dragged into this as much as he had, and the least he could do was help her leave this place as soon as possible. He'd be doing her a favour, and perhaps his father would leave him the fuck alone for a while. He'd assure his father he was putting every effort into a fruitless search for his wife. Perhaps he might even leave too, 'search' for her himself.

He listened to her speak, but didn't look at her until she mentioned him. "Me?.." His eyes creased in a mirthless smile and he let out a quiet huff of a laugh. "There's no need to consider me. I will be in your life for a very short time My Lady... Amelia." he assured. "And when you are safely out of Vel Anir, I will return to doing whatever it is a Prince does." he said dryly.

"Yes, you, Lynus. I may not be able to leave right away. It depends on my sister..." Amelia let the words hang there. She was using her sister as an excuse. She may not want to leave if she kept talking to him. He very clearly did not want her stay though and that was fine.

She would leave...eventually. Prince or not, Lynus would do something to make her upset and she would run away like she always did. Her hatred for all things noble and stuck up was only part of the reason she went to Elbion in the first place. The other part was a broken heart.

"I am also afraid that your parents will punish you, my family, and me if I leave. I do not want Kristen hurt because of my actions. My parents...I do not care about. Not anymore. Amelia looked down at her hands and let out a soft sigh. Life had gone in a direction that she had not expected and she still wasn't sure what to do with it.

"I think I need to forewarn you, Lynus. I am not the proper lady that my parents sold to yours. I am terrible at dancing, I only like dresses when I want to wear one, I prefer sleeping in and staying up late, I will always choose a book over being social..." She smiled at him shyly and then averted her eyes again. "And I had no idea what you looked like before I showed up today. I am a terrible subject as well!" Amelia giggled now causing the corner of her eyes to crinkle.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Lynus Anireth
He let out a sharp huff and nodded, his lips drawn into a tight smile. "Take as long as you need, of course.." he answered. "I can handle my parents. You've nothing to worry about in that respect." he assured her. Besides, if he made it look like an abduction she couldn't be blamed and nor could her family.

Lynus leaned back as he listened to her warnings, unaware that the smile that curled at his lips slowly grew in amusement. The sound of her giggling was a sound sorely missed, and he sighed with a quiet laugh of his own as he looked down and shook his head. "Well. You should know that I am an exceptional dancer, and I look wonderful in a dress. Sadly, I'm forbidden from wearing them in public." he joked with a twist of his lips.

At that, a male server crossed the bridge and wandered over to them with a bow. "Your Grace, My Lady. The wine you requested." he offered the tray with two wine goblets. Lynus took one and offered it to Amelia before taking his own, and then he lifted the bottle.

"You can leave the bottle." he smirked with a short nod in dismissal. "Thanks Gregor." The man bowed again and turned on his heels to leave.

"So what I am hearing is that I can make you wear a dress in private?" She laughed out then realized what she said and a deep blush filled her cheeks. She would love to see that though. This very handsome man twirling out their room in a dress. She laughed again at the image.

The male server appeared and she stifled her joy in order to take the wine goblet without spilling anything on herself or her betrothed. Amelia took a sip of the wine and smiled. "Oh wow, this is amazing. Of course it is, this is the palace. You have the best wine." Why the fuck was she rambling like an idiot? She took another (larger) sip to try and stop herself from rambling.

"I suppose we should probably actually get to know each other if we want to sell this whole thing..." Yeah, that was the excuse! "Do you want to play a game? It is very easy. Equal or great value questions. All answers must be truthful."

Amelia smiled at him. She would be alright if he said no but she was curious about this man. Her Prince. Her future husband. Lynus.

His cheek dimpled as a smirk curled at his lips. It was a strange thing to hear a woman laugh at his terrible jokes again and he gave a quiet chuckle of his own. "Only if you want to be outdone.." he rumbled in response with a shake of his head.

Where Amelia seemed to appreciate the wine, Lynus drank from the goblet without such appreciation for its taste and all the appreciation of its ability to numb his mind. A few cups would dull his headache at least. He glanced at her as he swallowed and cleared his throat. "Import from Oban." he informed her as they, of course, had the best wine in Arethil.

The prince studied her for a moment as he considered her question, a hesitant sigh tumbling from his lips. That likely wasn't such a good idea, but after draining the goblet and immediately pouring another, he nodded. "Alright. You go first."

Amelia grinned and took another drink after he agreed. She was way too excited about this. She had not played in years and it was not with anyone as important as her betrothed.

She did not let the fact that he had already finished one goblet and started another slip past her. Was this why the keep had been emptied of alcohol? She could not blame him for wanting to drown the pain of losing his wife. While she made note, she did not comment. Simply took another drink of her own. She was not a big drinker so this could turn bad quickly if she drank too much too quickly.

"Okay, I will start easy!" She said as she bit her lower lip. It was one of her habits when she concentrated. "What is your favorite color?"

It was a very easy question. That was the fun of the game. You start off easy and eventually it gets deeper with harder and harder questions.

"Oh now that's just much too personal." he countered with a huff and let his head fall back, staring up at the willow. "Green." he answered. It was why he spent so much time in this garden. Why he loved getting out of the city.

"Favourite flower?" he asked in return and took another sip of wine.

"Green is a good color," she said softly. Green was her favorite color too. It brought out the green in her hazel eyes and it was her preferred color of clothing besides black.

"Stargazer Lilies," her smile was wistful now. She loved those lilies and it had been awhile since she had seen any. She took a sip from her goblet. Two sips. The wine was good and she was nearing the bottom now. She would refill soon.

Amelia pretended to think very hard about her next question. She had a few to choose from so she just picked the first that came to mind. "How old are you?" She felt like it was something she should know but she had no idea.

His brow quirked and he nodded at her answer. "Thirty-two. So, old..." his lips twisted into a smirk. "Same question." he drank.

Amelia would allow him to throw the question back since it was one that had some importance. "I am twenty-eight," she said simply and finished her drink.

She held out her goblet as the next round started. "Hmmm...do you prefer cats or dogs?" There was always a preference. Always.

She would keep it light for a few more rounds before she dug a tad deeper. Just a tad. Nothing too big yet.

His brow rose and his chin dipped at her answer, ever-so-glad that his parents hadn't tried to marry him off to someone he deemed too young for him, like the girls with those irritating giggles and pouty faces who had nothing between their ears but air and fairytales.

"Most definitely dogs. Cats, I don't trust." he laughed awkwardly. "They seem to know something that we humans don't.." he frowned, unable to suppress a shudder.

"Favourite food?"

Amelia laughed at his answer. She agreed completely. "Yes, cats are sneaky little shits!" She took a sip of her now filled goblet. "I want a dog someday. They're so sweet and loving."

Favorite food was an easy toss-up between two. "Seafood and lamb," she finally answered. "Not at the same time," a low chuckles escaping her.

"If you weren't a prince, what would you be?"

Lynus smirked at her wish to have a dog and he nodded. "That they are." he agreed. He smiled at her answer and frowned in consideration of her next question.

"Tough one." he admitted and scratched at his stubbled cheek. "A carpenter or blacksmith, perhaps." his brow lifted, and his smile dwindled with the reminder that he could never be anything else. His throat cleared, and his gaze narrowed as he searched his mind for his next question.

"Any interesting talents or hobbies?"

"So you like working with your hands," Amelia quipped before realizing how that sounded and blushing. She didn't mean it that way but it did peak her curiosity.

A hmmm escaped her lips as she thought. "I like to read and write stories. Nothing grand. I enjoy sparring but that is not very lady like. I like to ride horses but it's been forever." She smiled wistfully at the thoughts of things she hadn't done in a long time.

"Do you have any siblings?" Again, she was admitting how little attention she paid to the royal family.

His lips twisted at her fluster and he laughed under his breath. "I do." he answered conspiratorially, splitting the last of the wine bottle between their two goblets.

"Three." he answered. "Once four but my younger brother died in childhood. I have one older sister, one younger sister, and one younger brother. My sisters have not lived in Vel' Anir for some years now, and my brother has been on a pilgrimage for the last two years." he told her with the slightest hint of bitterness in his tone. During the worst years Vel'Anir had seen in decades and the worst of Lynus' life, his brother had been travelling the world, it was difficult not to feel resentment.

"My sisters will each be livid that they didn't get to meet you." he told her with a tight smile and drank the remainder of his wine.

He thought on his next question as he stared into the empty goblet, his feet still pushing them slowly back and forth on the swing. He wanted to know what life she'd left behind for this one, but he feared the questions she might as in return. That, and the more questions she answered the more he liked her. She was unlike most other noble women that he'd known over the years, and that could only be a good thing in his mind.

"I'm afraid I've run out of questions, other than.. Would you care for more wine?.."

"I am sure I will meet them someday..." Amelia said and took a drink of her wine. Would she though? Probably not. The way this was going though...she was starting to reconsider leaving.

She refocused on the Prince and shook her head with a chuckle. "Yes to the wine and I do not believe for a second that you have run out of questions." A sly smirk graced her lips before she added, "I think you are just a big chicken, Prince Lynus."

Amelia took another sip and the smirk turned into a full fledged grin. "I think you have tons of questions for your bride to be but you are too chicken to ask them because you are unsure of what I will ask in return. That," she lightly booped him on the nose, "is the fun of the game!"

She realized what she had done a second later. She had booped the Prince on the nose. The Prince. Booped. Fuck my life...she thought and took a longer drink to cover her embarrassment once more.

Thank every single God for alcohol!

Lynus shot her a side glance with a tight smile.. "Well.." he shrugged and let out a huff of a laugh, clearly doubting that she'd meet his sisters at all if their plan went ahead as they'd discussed. He didn't see any reason for it to fail.

Gregor had stood far enough away from the two to avoid eavesdropping, but close enough to keep them in his sights, and the servant nodded in understanding as Lynus held up the empty goblet in request of more wine. His brows shot up as he was branded cowardly and his attention snapped back to the woman beside him with a look of sheer incredulity. He'd been about to speak when her fingertip tapped at his nose and he blinked, unable to resist the urge to grin in disbelief.

"I think... You just insulted and assaulted your Prince, Lady Pirian." he arched a brow at her and let a husky laugh tumble out as he rubbed at the end of his nose. He huffed and let his head fall back again, his feet still rocking them gently back and forth on the swing.

"Alright. A few more questions." he murmured reluctantly and thought for a moment. "Fondest childhood memory?"..

Amelia looked horrified and started to stammer out that she was sorry when Lynus laughed and rubbed his nose. She closed her eyes and let out a soft sigh of relief as her own soft giggle left her lips. He was joking. She couldn't help but admire how handsome he was when he smiled and laughed. It was hard to not get sucked in by him when she was meant to spend the rest of her life with the man.

"Hmmmm fondest childhood memory," she repeated the question before taking a sip of her wine. "I guess I was a teenager by then but spending hours brushing Kristen's hair and just talking. I would brush hers and braid it then she would do mine. I swear she pulled more out than was necessary but she was my little sister and I love her dearly so what is a little hair loss." Sadness filled Amelia's eyes as she thought of her sister. She couldn't even imagine the horrors that her sister was suffering right now.

She shook her head, took a longer drink from her goblet, and looked at the prince again. "What is the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?"

He wore a sombre smile as she spoke of her childhood memories. He had many similar memories, things that seemed normal and unremarkable in the moment, but clung to him as cherished moments.

"Hm.. Other than agreeing to marry a woman I've only just met?" he laughed under his breath and scratched at his cheek whilst he thought. "As a prince, there is not much I am able to get away with. Though when I was younger, I tried to impress a girl by stripping off and jumping into a freezing lake. I couldn't swim, had to be rescued, and wound up in the infirmary for a week with hypothermia." he laughed and grimaced at the memory with a shudder.

"I still cannot swim." he added with a smirk.

Gregor appeared promptly with another bottle of wine and both goblets were refilled, again, the bottle was left. Lynus drank and cleared his throat.

"Something you wished you'd done but haven't been able to?"

Amelia chuckled at his comment. Yes, this was the most spontaneous thing she had ever done, but this was not her idea. It was still true though.

The woman could not help but laugh out loud and truly at his story. She just pictured a younger Lynus being all sure of himself before disaster hit. It was glorious. Hilarious. So great.

"I have not been able to teach the Prince to swim and I do so wish to," she was now trying to fight off the laughter that wanted to start up again. Amelia took a drink of her wine and that did help some.

"But seriously, if you want a serious answer, I have never been in love before. It would be nice to experience at some point. As for a not so serious answer, I have always wanted to go sailing on a ship. I have never been on a boat."

She took another drink of her wine. Her head was starting to feel a little lighter than it had previously and she felt herself starting to loosen up some as well. "What is one secret that you have kept from your parents? I will take the most scandalous, please!" Amelia giggled at the end of her statement.