Private Tales The Radiant Flame

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Elra Mistfall

Dragon's Bane
Character Biography
Link
Alliria, The Dragon’s Den

Elra’s eyes skimmed over the fancy cursive writing. Her lips bent into a deep frown as she read the letter over and over again. Still, no word, wherever Radis had gone, the Allirian Guard were clueless as to where. She took a deep breath. “I don’t need to worry; it’ll take time for him to rebuild his wealth and power.” There’d only be so much longer she could keep telling herself that. Radis had lost a great deal of wealth and influence during his ninety-year stay in Alliria’s finest prison. But he was a man of means, he’d rebuild soon if he’s not re-captured.

She peered up at the teahouse. Tanith insisted she come down for their new minstrel’s big debut. It looks like she’s not the only one she extended an invitation to, given the modest crowd. Her sister’s way of being welcoming. “I hope it doesn’t make him more nervous.” She could hear the faint pounding of Amelia's hammer in the next room over, almost drowned out by the sound of the audience chattering. She doubt she'd be able to hear it all once the music started.

She caught a glimpse of Tanith standing over by the stage and sighed. Her gaze shifted back to the letter. “She’ll be fine, we’ll both be. We’ve survived worse.” She folded the letter and slipped it into her pocket. Putting the matter out of her mind, as best she could.

TheScarletDastard Zilvra Isak Lavelle

Last edited:
Now this was a venue.

Four stories of graystone walls, decorated interior with polished wooden paneling? This place was unbelievable. Just looking around the teahouse made Dez smile widely, as he thought to himself that he'd actually managed to land a gig here. The young man fidgeted nervously with his lute strap, wondering if he shouldn't tune his old instrument a third time. Had he remembered to check harmonics? What were the acoustics like in here? And why were there so many people?

In truth, Dez had played for larger crowds than this before, but never on a stage like this, and never with stakes this high. He surveyed the crowd from his vantage point, and nervously eyed the pretty redhead standing near the platform. C'mon now, he knew her name, the teawoman was.... Tanith! Tanith Mistfall. Those bright green eyes were older than Dez's hometown, and if he couldn't impress her and her sister tonight, he'd lose perhaps the biggest opportunity he'd ever stumbled into.

So no pressure. The impoverished orphan who grew up on the banks of the Sayve River just had to stun a couple elves with his backwater folksy tunes. Simple. Easy.

Dez was certain he was going to throw up.

Tanith watched the minstrel prepare for his performance, a bright smile on her face and hands clasped in front of her. Oh, how she'd longed for a little music to brighten her teahouse a little more. An odd minstrel or two played a song here and there but never had anyone played there regularly. Perhaps this performance would change that.

To think her sister offered to hire some stuffy orchestra or fancy, upper-class fiddler to play for them. Their music never had any true feeling to it. In her experience, the best musicians are often some of the least known. For that reason, she'd been all too happy to offer the young human boy a chance to perform. Although in truth she watched more for his potential than current ability. If he had potential, he could improve, even if he messed up a performance or two.

She waved when Dez looked her way, trying to be encouraging. His body language made it clear that he was nervous. Understandable, she supposed. Though she personally forgot what that felt like about halfway into her adventuring career.

A little bell rang as the door to the Dragon's Den was opened by a tall, well muscled and dark skinned man, dressed in simple attire. The man then held the door open as a cloaked woman entered the building, lowering her hood and revealing the snow white hair, blood red lips and raven dark skin of the woman underneath. To say the woman had dark skin was in no way the same as the assistant that had proceeded her. The darkness of his skin was the natural sun kissed brown colour, typical of humans born to warmer climates. Her skin was the black of the night sky, the kind that could only be found amongst the midnight elves that dwelled under the mountains. Quite a rare sight in Alliria, though certainly not rare enough to draw more than a curious glance. Of course, those glances were avoided all together from those who knew who the woman was. If one thing was known in the Shallows of Alliria, Zilvra De Valle was not a woman you wanted to cross.

In the Dragon's Den however, no one present had earned her ire. (Not yet at least.) Zilvra was here strictly on business, and it boded well that she knew the two proprietors of the establishment. While it was clear that Elra and Tanith did not exactly approve of her line of work, there had been certain occasions in the past where the three of them had put their differences aside to achieve a desired goal. As such, they had always gotten along amicably, despite Zilvra's less than reputable reputation. As she looked around the Dragon's Den, it was the elder sister that she spotted first.

"Elra, my dear," Zilvra said in her usual charming tone as she approached the elven maiden. "So pleasant to see you once again, it has been far too long. Tell me, how fare you and your lovely sister? I hear that your inn is a thriving success. And a mutual friend of ours has recommended your quaint little teashop. Mikelle Fallowbridge. I believe he provides fine wine for your establishment?"

Elra glanced away from the stage when she heard the bell ring. Her gaze stopping on the unfortunately familiar sight of an unfortunately familiar criminal, Zilvra De Valle. She’d hoped her first run-in with her would be her last, but alas, their paths had crossed on a few other occasions since.

She stood straighter than usual and folded her hands in front of her. Zilvra at least, she could handle, she’d reasoned with her before, she could do so again. She forced a polite smile and turned to face the midnight elf when she approached. Resisting the urge to reply with ‘not long enough,’ she instead said. “Good evening Zilvra, I’m surprised to see you in the Inner City.”

She glanced at Tanith for a moment before shifting back to her guest. “Quite well, thank you for asking. The Den has been thriving as of late.” She paused when she heard Mikelle’s name. How did he get himself mixed up with her of all people? The boy didn’t have a criminal bone in his body. She suppressed a sigh, (though she’s sure some stress showed) and made a note to ask him about it when she got the chance. “… In part due to the Fallowbridge’s wine, yes.”

She smiled wryly. “Though I wouldn’t recommend letting Tanith hear you find her teashop to be ‘quaint.’” She studied Zilvra’s expression carefully before asking. “But have you come simply to try our tea?”

Oh dear.... was that? No. Couldn't be. He shouldn't profile. There were more than a handful of drow in Alliria. She could be anybody. And Dez had never actually seen her. So what if she looked exactly as drunk tavern goers had been describing her for the last 2 months he'd been playing around the city?

Bollocks.

Well, Elra didn't seem too alarmed, but even still, he couldn't have his employer being ogled by customers as she engaged in uncomfortable conversation with a dangerous hitwoman. He looked to Tanith's encouraging smile, and allowed himself to glow a little at her encouragement. Then he gestured to Elra in the back with a more serious look on his face. He indicated the crowd thronging the tearoom, and nodded confidently. Go help your sister. I got this.

Striding to the edge of the stage, Dez looked over the crowd and hammered out a brazen chord with no preamble. No point in announcing who he was or why he was there. They knew the second part, and didn't care about the first part.

But they would.

"Well travel o'er the sea my son, but never call it home!
For flashing eyes will follow you, if e'er you start to roam!"

He kicked up a strumming pattern that fit the shanty feel, and looked out at the crowd with a wild smile; a storyteller's excitement.
"Although this land is cruel at times, our place is in the Reach,
For terror dwells amid the swells, and judgement lies beneath!"

He quieted a bit for the bridge, getting intense before crescendoing. The crowd seemed to be paying the famous assassin little attention. He'd just have to keep it that way.
"Man was made for land, he can neve~r claim the waves,
The ones who try, we he~ar them cry, as they're pulled down to their graaaves!"

Last edited:
Tanith glanced over her shoulder when she heard the door open. Her bright expression dimming with confusion when she saw who walked inside. "Hmm?" She turned back to the stage and hummed again. The drow clearly hadn't come to cause trouble, well, at least not trouble to a worrisome extent. Hm, did she want to try and impose one of those 'protection taxes' criminals liked to whine about?

She met Dez's gaze and noticed him nod. She glanced at the crowd and bit her lip. His debut may have just become a lot more eventful, she felt bad about having to leave, but, if he insisted... She should probably go help her sister. Elly could handle a criminal or two, but it didn't hurt to give her some support.

She spun around and made her way toward the counter, savoring the first few notes of Dez's song as she went. Oh, how she'd much rather sit and listen to his music than deal with another crime lord. Ah, but such was her lot, it seemed. At least she knew her hunch about him was right. He was clearly a gifted minstrel.

She grinned widely when she came upon the trio and gasped. "Zilvy! Is that you?" she exclaimed, quietly enough that the audience wouldn't hear her over the music. She held out her arms and stepped forward like she was going for a hug, but backed off when Zilvra's man leered in her direction.

She pouted for a moment but quickly perked back up. "Oh! Have you had any of the tea yet? Oh oh, let me make you a pot, I promise you won't regret it!" Without actually waiting for permission she rounded the counter and started preparing some tea for them.

Zilvra TheScarletDastard Isak Lavelle

"Zilvy! Is that you?"

"Tanith, darling," Zilvra greeted the elven maiden as she approached, extending her hand for a friendly handshake. "A pleasure as always. So pleased to see you both looking so well."

"Oh! Have you had any of the tea yet? Oh oh, let me make you a pot, I promise you won't regret it!"

"That would be most welcome, my dear," Zilvra replied easily, taking a seat at one of their tables. "I imagine you have a wide range of blends and flavours. Feel free to surprise me." For a moment, Zilvra was quiet as she waited for Tanith to return, since it seemed that the tea was her area of expertise. As she did so, she listened intently to the minstrel. He had a set of pipes on him, that was for sure. And what song was that he was singing? She'd never heard it before. An original composition, perhaps? She'd have to learn more about this one. A talent like that couldn't simply be ignored.

“But have you come simply to try our tea?”

Zilvra gave a light hearted little chuckle at that question. "Quite the opposite in fact. While I am sure that your tea has no equal in this city, it is my own blend that I wished to speak of." With that, Zilvra reached into her cloak pocket and withdrew a small paper bag which contained some sort of blend of mixed herbs and spices. "This, my dear, is something that I have been working on for awhile. The greatest healing brew yet created. While it has no magical healing properties that can cure any long term ailments, it is a wonder for both pain and stress relief of any kind. Headaches, back pain, nausea, even mental issues like insomnia. It helps to relieve them all. And to those in perfect health, it merely imparts a calming state of mind that lifts the spirits and soothes the soul. And, of course, the taste is also very pleasant. You understand, I'm sure, that I shall be speaking with the proprietors of other tea houses, both within and outside of Alliria, but considering our history together, I thought it only right that I come to you first."

• Yay
Reactions: Elra Mistfall
Elra's posture loosened a bit when Tanith arrived. She watched the brief exchange between the two with a neutral expression. Tanith shook Zilvra's hand as she walked around the counter to get the tea. She's already sure she'll brew something to help calm her nerves.

Normally, she could handle the average crime lord just fine, with minimal stress on her part. She knew she could do it again with this 'friend' of theirs. If not for the added knowledge that Radis was loose somewhere in Alliria. Just knowing that made everything feel that much more pressing to her.

Elra took a seat across from Zilvra, folding her hands and setting them on her lap. Listening to Dez's music while they waited for Tanith to return. Quite the endearing number so far, his enthusiasm for the song immersed her in his music. She could see she's not the only one either, other members of the crowd were clearly impressed as well.

Most worriedly, Zilvra.

She noticed the attention she paid their new minstrel. She didn't mind that the drow could appreciate music, but it might be best for Dez if she didn't develop too much of an interest in him. She smiled. "Our new minstrel, recently hired," she said, the implication of her words being; 'he's off-limits.'

"Here you are!" Tanith exclaimed. She set a pot of fresh tea on the table and poured each woman a cup. "Fresh Angel Root tea." She lowered her tone to a conspiratorial whisper. "I heard it grants peace and clarity of mind to the one who drinks it."

"You would know, you're the one who brewed it," Elra said wryly. Her sister only winked in response as she joined them at the table, pouring herself a cup of her own.
"This, my dear, is something that I have been working on for awhile. The greatest healing brew yet created.
Tanith 'oohed' as she leaned closer to study the mix of herbs and spices that Zilvra held out. Something Elra was all too happy to let her handle. She didn't know tea like her sister did.

Elra listened carefully to Zilvra's proposal. It all sounded harmless enough, but it always did with her. No one could accuse the drow of a lack of charm. And she doubted the woman would be tactless enough to try and sell them a bad brew. Her concerns laid elsewhere. "Fascinating. I wasn't aware tea was such a passion of yours. Might I ask how you crafted such a brew?" She needed to make sure there weren't any legally dubious ingredients in this tea of hers.

• Devil
Reactions: Zilvra
Fancy establishment or no, Alliria was a port town through and through, and everyone knew the legend of the Serpent. Even those who'd never heard Dez's song were getting excited; this was a great story. The young minstrel tried his best to make the chorus rhythmic, so his audience could sing along after his 2nd verse.

Rising in his pitch, he hollered out his first chorus.
"Well siren's song and dragon's scales! They say that dead men tell no tales,
But rising o'er the misty pale, the drowned are calling her naaaame!"

Now his voice dropped to next to nothing, and his strumming became a mournful picking pattern. The sudden drop caught attention, and made folk lean in to hear every word.
"In a whisper; Falerumasa, the keeper of the gate.
Yes, they call her....
Falerumasa, the guardian of the strait."
BANG. He slapped his fret board hard, cutting his spooky bridge short and launching back into his riotous verse chords. There were a few cheers at this, and Dez had yet to stop smiling. This was a good crowd.

• Yay
Reactions: Tanith Mistfall
Tanith examined the ingredients in Zilvra's hand. Half-distracted by the music on stage. Her sister would scold her if she knew she was letting any part of her mind wander while an infamous criminal was present. But she couldn't help it. Both the potential tea brew and the music occupied her mind.

She studied the herbs in Zilvra's hand, quickly recognizing chamomile and lavender. Lovely ingredients, but nothing that could grant such incredible healing. She cocked her head when she saw a third plant mixed in with the rest. "Hmm? That's strange, I've never seen a herb like that before." She pointed to the one in question.

Elra followed her gaze and studied it herself. Her expression, usually kept neutral when 'on the job,' so to speak, dropped into a frown. "I do." She narrowed her eyes at Zilvra. "It's marijuana, which, to my understanding is illegal in Alliria. Care to explain why you're trying to trick me into buying it?"

"Us," Tanith chimed in.

Elra sighed. She leaned forward and all but wagged a finger in disapproval. "I've told you before Zilvra, I'm not going to let myself be sucked into-"

Tanith smiled as her sister spoke. Looks like she's not getting a new tea recipe, not that she'd want one if it required drugging her patrons. She started to turn back toward the stage but stopped when she caught a glimpse of something through the window.

It was a stranger, a human, covered in scars, peering inside through one of the windows. His gaze sweeping back and forth across the teahouse, before it settled on Elra and her. His eyes widened when he noticed her looking. He quickly turned and hurried away.

Tanith's smile dropped. "Um, excuse me for a moment." She stood and ran over to the window, peering into the street. There she saw the scarred man again, now facing away from her, and talking to a trio of other men, all of them as rough looking as himself.

Another seven strangers lurked nearby, all trying to look nonchalant. To the casual passerby they would have, but she knew better. She'd seen such a trick before. Usually from criminals looking to blend in before committing a crime.

The scarred one glanced back and scowled when he saw her. He turned and pointed at her, yelling something to his cohorts. Two of them immediately stepped forward, drawing hidden crossbows from their clothes and aiming at her.

Tanith gasped and threw herself to the side mere moments before two crossbow bolts crashed through the window and embedded themselves in the wall, not far from where Elra and Zilvra sat.

Zilvra TheScarletDastard Isak Lavelle