Completed The Battle of the Banicks

"Owing to the circumstances, less than I would have liked," Kristen said, taking Alistair's surprise as nothing out of the ordinary. She had been awfully surprised too, had she not? "The fiasco of Trien and what Archon Pollux ordered of the Initiates present is a whole separate issue. Mariana, though, was only able to briefly introduce herself, mentioning she had a brother named Alistair; now, certainly you are not the only man with the name, but she said also that she had heard stories about me, and mentioned further that her brother Alistair and I and have gone on a lot of missions together, so naturally it occurred to me—"

Right then, something else just occurred to her. Registered.

...she is a recently discovered sister...

She narrowed her brows quizzically, then said, "Recently discovered?"

Why...she had thought...goodness, she had been under a mistaken impression.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair nodded along thoughtfully only for a slight blush to pop onto his face as he noticed the realization his Kristen. He quickly looked away from her until he felt the heat on his face fade away.

"Um, yes. Mariana is my half-sister...that my father...did not inform the family of. I learned of her...after his death and went to meet her. I offered her home since she was, um...wandering."

How else was he supposed to explain that his father could not keep it in his pants, he had cheated Alistair's mother, and his new sister had recently been a thief and pickpocket...that wasn't even including Bassel.

"So, yeah, it is a bit of a long story."

It really wasn't.

Kristen Pirian

My half-sister...

Oh, okay, alright, Kristen was following. It certainly wasn't ideal for a man to marry and then re-marry, goodness no, but she'd have to ask later if Alistair's mother was the first or second wife to his father, just to get the matter straight.

...that my father...

Yes, his poor father though. Far be it for her to cast stones from afar on personal matters, she could not say what went on with his marriages, but the tragedy of his untimely death! She wondered how Mariana was taking it.

...did not inform the family of.

Kristen's expression froze for a moment.

Then, after Alistair went on to explain when he learned of Mariana, she got it, and then her expression melted into a kind of pallid embarrassment for him.

"O-Oh."

She was actually stunned for a good moment, numbly handing over the next helmet for Alistair to work on as she tried to process everything and come up with a response.

"I...feel so bad for you, Alistair. As if it were not enough to be affected by tragedy, only in the wake of it to learn of your father's sordid behavior. This while helming the ship of your House's fortunes, put upon you at such a young age no less."

Gently, she asked, "How is Mariana handling the news...and...everything?"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair chose to accept the helmet and turn back to his work. If this was anyone else, he would have no problem explaining this situation. It was just her. The way she spoke, and the way she looked at him. He could feel the embarrassment in the air.

He cleared him through to calm himself, "Yes, it was certainly a surprise. It was not at a time that I could spend too much time on the matter. We moved on."

How was Mariana handling this? She certainly smiled enough. There were some tough times, but she was not fighting for her meals and she had not been arrested in weeks.

"I think she is doing ok. I'm trying to give her an education and a nicer life. She doesn't like sitting still, but she is getting better."

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Kristen breathed a sigh of relief. "That is marvelous to hear. You are doing your best to wipe clean that which has tarnished the past, and such efforts are all the better for House Krixus as a whole. Family is what you need, now more than ever."

Fond memories of her own childhood came upon her with ease, and with it a natural smile.

Then she said, "I take it that she has been enrolled into the Academy, then?" As if chastising herself for answering her own question, she added, "Well, I suppose she must be. I saw her magic at work. And certainly, how else could she have gotten into the siege camp?"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair nearly messed up his engraving, which would have resulted in some unfortunate feedback and maybe even an explosion. He quickly stopped his work and scratched at the back of his head.

"Ha, yeaahhh, about that. I asked a favor to allow Mariana to...observe the Academy. I wasn't aware they were going to let her go on a siege. I don't think she liked it...She does not plan on going to the Academy."

Yes, it was better to just spit it out. It looked like Alistair's hopes of creating a tradition of Dreadlords was not meant to be. It was so embarrassing.

"I have been looking at other schools to send her to, to make her...more ladylike."

Kristen Pirian

• Wonder
Alistair's answer was surprising, and pleasantly so.

"Well, I believe that you have made the right choice concerning Mariana. 'Tis perfectly congruent with the ideals of the Republic, and a model example, perhaps, for the future of the Academy to base itself upon." She paused for a moment, and then with a humble smile said, "I know that I was afforded a choice denied to the rest of my peers. I should like to see this blessing made available to any and all Anirians with a magical gift."

She didn't dwell on it long. The fact of her having chosen to go into the Academy while all her fellows never had that option was always a point of discontent for her, the lack of fairness, especially for all they went through that she did not, a cause of ceaseless dismay.

She moved past it, picking up on a brighter point.

"And more ladylike, you say? I think such refinement would be magnificent for Mariana! All young ladies would do well to develop and maintain grace, pleasantness, and decorum."

Alistair Krixus

• Cthulu Knife
  • Haha
Reactions: Mariana and Lumen
Kristen had taken to the idea far quicker than he had. Alistair had spent several nights utterly confused at why Mariana would not want to become a Dreadlor. It had taken a lot of self-reflection to come to the answer he had, and in a way, it was not solely driven by good intentions and was part of just not wanting to be his father.

"Yes, unfortunately, Mariana does not know what any of those three words mean, much less have any to begin with. Whatever school I choose for her, it will likely not be as easygoing as she thinks."

The girl was a walking contradiction, a former pickpocket with the manners of a small raccoon, but the artistic talents to put any lady in this city to shame.

"Let's just hope some of it sticks."

Kristen Pirian

Kristen laughed lightly, covering her mouth with a fist, knowing quite precisely the truth of Alistair's appraisal of his half-sister's demeanor. Mariana, from what brief time Kristen interacted with her during Trien, was indeed a touch rough around the edges—to put it mildly.

"Perhaps I should call upon my mother Josephine," she said through the giggles. "After a week spent with her, why, Mariana would arrive back at your Estate in a ball gown, curtsying, and saying 'may I' so much you would think we Pirians swapped her out for a different girl altogether. Certainly a far cry from habitually speaking while chewing!"

Her laughter subsided with a small and delightful sigh.

"In any case, I would love to see her transformation once she graduates from the school in question."

A thorny thought introduced itself shortly after her closing remark, and with care did Kristen ask the question:

"Is...Mariana the only one, do you think? Do you have any way of knowing about the totality of your father's...um...escapades?"

Alistair Krixus

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Mariana
A chill ran up Alistair's spine at the first suggestion. There was no way in all the hell that Alistair was going to let his family's first impression to Kristen's mother be Mariana. It would kill him. No matter how disciplined Kristen told him her mother was, he had seen Mariana at work and he just...wouldn't do it.

"Yeah, maybe."

The second question was enough to make him stiffen. By Aionus, where was Kristen getting all these hard-hitting questions from?

Alistair was silent for a very long moment until he realized that silence in itself was just as much of an admission.

"No, recently I have learned of another. A brother from the Empire...His name is Bassel. Based on those two, I would not put it past my father to have more."

Kristen Pirian

• Gasp
"And a brother too!" Kristen said with clear excitement. Then, thinking quickly that her exclamation could possibly be misinterpreted as outrage toward Alistair's father, she fell into clarifying, "I, um...I mean only to say that it is wonderful to be discovering family, despite the circumstances. Family is one of life's irreplaceable treasures, after all. And now you and I are one in the same: having each a brother and a sister."

She handed him the next piece of armor. Hopefully, given that long bit of silence, he wasn't too...she didn't know...vexed? Uneasy? Alistair was always of the reticent sort, but perhaps these challenges brought on by the discovery of his sister Mariana and his brother Bassel were causes of ceaseless anxiety for him. Especially since he was likely something more akin to a father to them instead of an older half-brother, being Head of House and all.

She kept her inquiries measured. Instead, commenting, "It is fortunate you had the time to even come to this Battle, what with all these matters having now fallen into your hands."

Alistair Krixus

Wonderful was an interesting word for it, alright. When Alistair had first learned of Mariana, he was ready to burn the letter and forget he ever saw the thing. He wanted to curse his father for not loving his family and for leaving more problems even in death. Then Alistair remember an important thing, he hated his father. He hated him so much that he refused to be him.

"It is certainly a new experience."

Bassel was, at least, a bit calmer and more...understandable. Mariana was hell in a handbasket with an active imagination with the powers to back it up.

"My mother is looking after them while I am away, along with Mrs. Hursh. I've hired a few hands to help manage to the business side of things. Knowing you would be here and all we have been through. I would not miss it for the world."

Kristen Pirian

• Cthuulove
I would not miss it for the world.

An effluence of warmth sprung from the very center of her chest and alighted a smile as heartfelt as it was broad. Her flesh-and-blood hand came to rest on Alistair's back and she leaned in and kissed him on his cheek.

"I am so very glad that you are here with me, Alistair." And softer, quieter, "So very glad."

Alistair Krixus

A soft smile quickly spread onto his face as he felt the kiss on his cheek. He quickly went back to his work to hide his face before whispering back.

"Always and anywhere."

Not trusting himself to say anything else, he focused on his work getting loss in the rhythm of production.

Kristen Pirian

"Commander Vogel," said Garron as he sat luxuriously in his command tent. A small, half-orc girl, timid and scared and indeed one of his own bastards that he had purchased as a servant, was bound at the wrists by chains and was nevertheless forced to feed him cherries and grapes. "Are they ready?"

Commander Vogel, staunchly possessed of Anirian sensibilities, didn't particularly enjoy the sight of the half-orc girl, even if she had been reduced to slavish servitude. But gaining a powerful ally in the potential new Head of House for House Banick was too good an opportunity to pass up over such trifles. Such a thing would open all the possibilities closed to him after the incident at Ostia Anir—which wasn't even his fault!

"Yes, Lord Banick," Vogel said. "They will await your signal. Walter won't know what hit him."

Garron smirked devilishly.

"Good."

THE BATTLE

"Gentlemen. Today is the day," Walter said. Before him in his command tent were gathered his brother Logan, Alistair and Kristen, Saydor Vinn, and all of the landowning Banick bannermen pledged to his cause.

"The cavalry will start a skirmish across the stream in the basin, as we have for the past several days. But this time we will commit. We will fight and we will allow Garron's infantry to approach and it is then we will sound a retreat, making it with all appearances look hasty and panicked."

Walter jabbed a finger down at the map on the table.

"Our light infantry will be ordered ahead, across the stream, ostensibly to cover the retreat of the cavalry with their javelins and arrows, but, if all goes to plan, they should make for irresistible bait, for our heavy infantry will be intentionally left behind and ordered at a slow march. If indeed Garron is baited, he will try to catch our light infantry out with the full-force of his own to crush them, seeing that our heavy infantry is still far from engaging. Again, the appearance of flight and cowardice must be displayed, and ground given. More and more ground given to all of Garron's forces by our own light infantry until they retreat back the stream. The light infantry must stand their ground in the stream, where the rocky and uneven bed makes any manner of speed from cavalry treacherous, therefore robbing Garron of his advantage. With proper timing, our heavy infantry, formed in two units, left and right, will arrive in the stream not long after. Our light infantry center, tired and embattled, will give some final ground as the wings of the heavy infantry close in; our formation will purposely bow inward, Garron's forces will soon find themselves surrounded on three sides, and their cavalry will be unable to save them even if they dismount. When their men lose heart and a rout begins, it will no longer be a battle, but a killing field."

Walter, after reviewing his battle plan, then began assigning each of the bannermen command of specific units of men. Logan and Saydor approached Kristen and Alistair, seeking to speak with them as an aside.

Logan said to them, "My brother and I will be riding with the cavalry to give the men heart. Saydor will be among the light infantry, since they will be hard-pressed by this plan as well."

Saydor nodded and said, "It is your discretion, Dreadlords, where you think your talents will be best suited and most opportune to counter the magics of the enemy: with the cavalry, with the light infantry, or with one of the wings of the heavy."

Alistair Krixus

Alistair had managed to finish several of the helms and even engraved a few shields with some specially crafted runes, and then handed them out to specific people in the army once he was aware of where they would be stationed. He had been forced to stop a little early to give himself time for a little rest.

Now that they were in the command tent, Alistair was busy checking his armor once again. While it was simple, it was the most heavily engraved making it look self-important, but that was just the life of a rune mage.

He listened to the battle plan with rapt attention, but his frown deepened the closer they got to the end. It wasn't that the plan was bad, but Alistair just could not decide where he needed to be. The heavy infantry would be a waste. That was not his style, and he wasn't prepared for that style of combat. The light infantry was closer, but he planned on holding off on his magics at first. Meaning he would just be a normal if not incredibly skilled infantry man which did not seem helpful.

It had to be the cavalry, Alistair's greatest gift would be his adaptability. On a horse, he could react to the changes in the battlefield quicker, while also keeping an eye on everyone.

"I'll need to be with the cavalry at the beginning. It will give me room to work."

If they stuck with the plan, none of the Dreadlords would reveal themselves until they had to anyway. He looked over to Kristen to see what her plans were.

"Oh, by the way, give this to Walter." He pulled out a simple wooden pendant, but it was engraved with a crimson-hued silver rune.

"Basic rune, but just in case."

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Kristen nodded in agreement with Alistair's decision, "And so shall I be as well. They will be the first to engage, and after the feigned retreat we can go where needed—dismount and shore up the light infantry, most like, if Garron's cavalry likewise dismounts."

"Good," Saydor said, giving his assessment. "This will give us good coverage at the start, you two with the cavalry, myself with the light infantry."

Logan in his turn nodded too, and the matter of their placement was settled. "I'll see you in formation then." He turned to reconvene with his brother when Alistair presented the pendant. Logan stopped and accepted the pendant and gave it a brief looking over. "Thank you, Alistair." And then: "What does it do, by chance?"

Logan himself had no innate magical ability, and thus, with his own equipment being enchanted, it was to his mind imperative to know how things of this nature operated. Hopefully Walter wouldn't have to do much more than touch it in a specific way, or, even better, its magical effect would activate all of its own accord when conditions were right.

Alistair Krixus

"One use. Arcane shield. It will only work if the rune registers innate deadly force. So cut across the arm, no. An arrow through the neck, yes."

Alistair had begun calling them Death Wards. They were difficult to make taking several days if not weeks and some prime materials, but no one complained when they saved their lives.

He would leave it at that, as he began to leave the tent with Kristen and prepare their own mounts. Feldaris would not be used in this battle, partially because of their long journey to get her. Instead, he would use one of the mounts that were lying around the camp. He did not expect to remain on horseback for long.

"How are we feeling about all of this?"

Glancing to Kristen by his side, by now they were both in their combat gear. Alistair could not help but notice she somehow looked prettier when she was in armor.

"I can't help but worry that Garron has some sort of surprise waiting."

Kristen Pirian

• Ctuhlu senpai
Logan grinned when Alistair explained the pendant. "Kress, I ought to look into some of these for my knights." Then he gave him a couple of brotherly pats on the shoulder and concluded, "I'll tell Walter it'll be his lucky charm."

Kristen followed Alistair out of the tent. The surplus Banick armor that had been procured for her wasn't as comfortably fitting as her own, made as it was for a man slightly shorter and slightly bulkier than herself, but it was the closest fit to her form. Still, she walked in it well enough, and chances were she'd forget these tiny little nuisances and complaints once battle was joined—as was almost always the case.

The Banick horsemaster handled them each their saddles, and Kristen set about saddling the horse she had chosen when Alistair asked his question.

"Anxious, hopeful, a touch nauseous," she said, smiling wanly, making quite the effort to be a little like Zael (the good part of Zael, anyway) and make light of it. "And those are just the foremost three."

I can't help but worry that Garron has some sort of surprise waiting.

"At least I am not alone in my incessant worrying." She finished securing and fastening the saddle, and put the bit of the reins into the horse's mouth. "We, however, are ourselves surprises for Garron, especially if he believes himself to have more Dreadlords."

She did not yet mount her horse, and instead stood beside her steed paused and in brief thought. Then she looked to him with that gut-wrenching dread that churned slowly and terribly in the pit of her stomach.

"Alistair," she said, barely above a whisper, "of all the things which could happen upon that battlefield...I fear losing you above all else..."

Alistair Krixus

Yeah, if Logan could afford to get several of those for his knights, then House Banick was even wealthier than Alistair had originally believed. He chuckled before walking with Kristen to the horses.

It was nice to hear that she was also anxious, it always unsettled him when he fought with those that felt completely comfortable in war. Anxiety for something like this was normal and healthy, as long as it did not make you freeze up.

The horse he had been given by the camp was from good stock, a little on the bulkier side. He would not be as fast as Feldaris, but he would not need to be on him long. Al adjusted a few straps to his liking before Kristen's whisper.

He quickly turned around and gripped her hands.

"Hey, none of that. We have been trained well, and we have worked hard. Trust the training and watch each other's back. We are going to make it out of here just fine. We have that picnic, remember?"

Kristen Pirian

• Cthuulove
The steady rock to her passionate sea. One's heart was strong and sincere, at times tender and at times intense, yet like a great blaze if not controlled could become a consuming inferno. No matter the metaphor, sea or flame, Kristen found time and time again that it was a wonderful blessing to have in her life men like Alistair to keep her emotions in sound measure.

Yes. Aionus bless Alistair, and keep him safe, that the glow of her gratitude could warm him all the more.

Meek, her smile, as her worry refused to be squelched entirely, but a smile it was and there on her countenance could it be seen. "Of course. The picnic. This shall not be taken from us."

She blushed, becoming aware that she was squeezing his hands a touch more than she ought, holding them still a touch longer than she ought as well. "I would kiss you," she said, letting go, brushing down her hood, and putting on her helm. She lowered the visor and in so doing hid all but her eyes. "But I shall find it more joyous to do so in victory."

Even after saying it, she could not help but to glance about on the sly to see if anyone was looking their way (after all, their presence was still very much a secret to most). They were, however, the very first of the cavalry force to be preparing among all of the horses; tents cut many lines of sights; and all the foot soldiers which she did see were distant enough and concerned with their own business and readiness.

They were, in this small window of time, effectively alone.

"Well." She lifted her visor, looking sheepish and eager at the same time, as if she were again getting ready to plunder snickerdoodle cookies from the Pirian Estate kitchen. "Maybe just one."

Alistair Krixus

Alistair could only grin at her turn around, keeping the confident demeanor up for her. In truth, he would kill anyone and everyone to keep Kristen safe, and that included those on this side. He refused to give up on the little bit of happiness he had managed to obtain.

They had managed to find this moment of isolation, before what would surely be a bloody fight, dynastic disputes always were.

Al quickly turned and leaned in close, pulling Kristen towards him and giving her a strong kiss after she voiced her desire. Only lasting a few moments, he pulled away to meet her sheepish look with his own mischievous grin.

"I'll take my victory kiss now, and then hope to convince you for another when this is all said and done."

At that moment, several of the cavalry appeared to be making their way over to begin their own preparations.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
"And another you shall have...if I can indeed be convinced," Kristen said, her playful smile shielded then by the flipping down of her visor.

The assembling of Walter's army began outside of his camp. The cavalry, the smallest unit in number, was the first to filter out and gather in formation. The assembling of the infantry would take time, and indeed was still in process. Out through those narrow gates could but two men comfortably march abreast, and the standards for the subdivisions of the light and heavy infantry provided the point around which the smaller units could line up and thus the greater whole be formed.

It was almost deceptive. At this stage of the battle (rather, the preparation thereof) where the enemy could not even be seen, these ranks and files could've been any routine drill, the basics of military discipline. From here, with a dash of imagination, one could see oneself getting ready to march in parade down the wide avenues of Vel Anir in some ceremony rather than on stepping forth toward battle. Without the enemy in sight this wasn't much more than standing (or sitting, as it was for the cavalry) in uncomfortably warm conditions and just simply awaiting the next command from a superior officer.

Kristen, for her part, felt some of this, as she and Alistair waited among the ranks of the cavalry for the infantry to finish forming up.

"We have seen many battles," she said, her voice made somewhat tinny by her helm, "but this seems more a war than all the rest."

Ostia Anir and Godendrung included.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair grinned at Kristen's answer before forcing a straight face, and getting serious as he watched the rest of the army gather. It was a large scale, and it was no longer them hiding behind walls. This would be a true, head-on battle.

He could see the mix of emotions among the soldiers. There was fear, anxiety, excitement, melancholy, ambitions, and many more. All these emotions shadow each of these soldiers with their own wants and desires. They would all soon have one desire, to avoid death, and many of them would not succeed. He noticed a few soldiers look towards him and he did not offer them any comfort. His stoic expression and emotionless eyes were preparing for their own battle.

Alistair put on his helmet, adjusting the straps, before shooting a glance at Kristen. She was right, in many different ways. All their other battles, they had been dropped into singular instances and then it was done. But this had been building up for years. Hidden battles had long already been started, and more work may be required after this battle to completely bring things to an end.

"Yes, hopefully, the culmination of a war. Something we have a chance to end."

Alistair got a faraway look in his eyes, as his vision sorted through all of the eye runes that he had engraved earlier in the day, making sure none of them were covered so that he would have a clear view. A moment later, he focused back to the soldiers in front of him, satisfied with his work.

Kristen Pirian

• Bless