Private Tales Take the risk or lose the chance

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Curious, Lottie stopped her packing to slide along and look at the bowls of salt Varys had prepared. It didn't look like anything special but then again what did she know about magic? She resisted the urge to poke it to see if it might do anything and went back to her packing.

"A proxy sounds smart," she agreed. There was a small part of her that was now terrified of touching her magic at all. The last two times she had it had nearly caused her and others to die. At least with this... magic... salt... she would have that protection though she was still dubious about touching that well that resided deep inside of her. There was a darkness there. A darkness she would have to confront sooner or later. Lottie shook herself out of those thoughts and turned to throw herself on the bed beside her friend.

"What are flowers? Is that elvish for stealing? Cause I don't need magic for that you know," she said with a touch of smugness; she had been quite a renowned highway robber after all.

Varys let out a little chuckle, turning onto his side to watch her as she examined the salt. She had about the same reaction he'd had looking at the ordinary bowls full of an everyday commodity. Salt wasn't particularly, well... magical, was it?

"Think of it as a buffer between you and the magic. Salt works well because it's pretty stubborn against most forms of magic for whatever reason, so if you lose control or something backfires, any reaction will be pretty muted."

If he was being honest, he wasn't too sure about the technicalities of it. It worked, though, and that was what mattered. One thing had become clear to him; Lottie's power was so vast and deep within her, just tapping into it was far too much for her mind and body to handle.

They would need to slowly ease her into it, the way one slowly walks into a pool of cold water, rather than jumping in headfirst and shocking oneself with the chill.

Lottie leaps skillfully over Varys and plops into bed beside him, earning her a quizzical smile as he crosses a leg over the other. "Fire Flowers. They're... remember those things I was using in Oban when we met? That shot into the sky and lit up like fire? Think those, but smaller."

He nudged her lightly with his elbow.

"It's still only afternoon. We have time to burn, unless being in bed with me is just your idea of a good time?" He teased.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Lottie Beaufort
Oh, that's what they were called.

Lottie had watched like many others in Oban with great wonder, but she hadn't even been close enough to ask what they had been called. She'd asked her sisters and both had come up with their own names then argued about it for a good hour. How could she help with those things? Weren't they fire magic? She supposed she could do a imitation of them with her own magic but that seemed like taking the fun out of it. The best bit was the bang after all, and she hadn't gotten the hang of sounds as part of her magic...

...unless being in bed with me is just your idea of a good time?

"What?" Lottie blinked out of her thoughts and her cheeks went a traitorous shade of red. "No! I mean... not that it's bad but I... I'm just tired, still. After all the walking and yesterday..." she stammered off, her face still a perfect shade of rosy pink. Staring at him for a moment longer she then rolled off the bed.

"I might, go take another bath, then I think I'll read. You should take some of that medicine I got you."

Hard for her to be oblivious when he was that direct, it seemed. Varys took a small bit of pride in the victory of getting some color to her cheeks, a little self-satisfied smirk settling onto his lips as she bashfully rolled off the bed. He could have let her off easy, but her choice of excuse made it all too easy to strike again.

"I could use a wash too, if you're looking for another peep-show."

Varys couldn't forget the look of pure panic on her face when he'd shown a bit of skin upon their initial arrival here. It had honestly been a boost for him, feeling like he at least looked somewhat nice when he hadn't felt such in the last year and change. He pulls himself to sit up on the bed, reaching out to grasp and examine the medicine she'd left on his side of the bed as he seemingly chooses to spare her, his smile fading a bit. "Just teasin' you a bit, Lot. I know it's not like that."

The stuff she'd bought wasn't anything fancy, just a topical to keep his wound from getting infected. It'd work, but it'd also hurt like hell and he knew it. Wincing a bit, he pops open the cap and looks into bottle. "Go ahead and clean up. If you want, I'll run through some basic Elven with you before bed, and tomorrow we'll find some real work."

He carefully began removing the bandages over his wound, gritting his teeth as they tugged at his sore skin. It probably looked a lot worse than it felt, but luckily that side of his face was facing away from her, so he didn't have to see her reaction as he poured some of the medicine into his hand and spread it liberally on the side of his head.

Lottie tried not to rise to the bait of his words as she gathered her towels and change of clothes; she wasn't going to parade up the stairs in her towel like last time! Why was she suddenly so prudish? She had not battered an eyelid once when members of the band had bathed with her before. Because they weren't Varys... that traitorous little voice whispered. And why should it matter if it was Varys? She argued back, but the voice only seemed to laugh.

"I'll ask them to send up dinner on my way down," she said stiffly and then shut the door. Lottie took a moment to lean her back against it and get her foolish heart under control. This ... nervousness couldn't do around him. He was her teacher, and her friend. If she blew this in anyway she would have nothing and no-one. It had to just been some fleeting, stupid, childish thing. But she was no Princess who fell in love with the Prince who saved her!

Nodding to herself she stalked off to the baths where she was for a good hour.

Dinner beat her back to the room - but only just - where she entered drying her hair with a towel and dressed in a pair of soft trousers and a linen shirt.

"That smells, amazing," she grinned, throwing the towel into a corner.

He couldn't deny feeling the faintest hint of bitterness as Lottie shut the door with that curt farewell. Not because he was hoping that she'd all of a sudden decide that, yes, she did want to be more involved with him. He wasn't nearly so shallow, nor dense to think relationships worked like that. No, it was more that she wasn't willing to talk to him about it.

He was supposed to be teaching her, wasn't he? If something was bothering her, no matter how deep-seated, Varys wanted to be a pillar of support.

The elf tossed the medicine-soaked rag he tidied himself with aside, resealing the bottle and laying back on the bed in thought. He supposed he really couldn't fault Lottie for being reserved with her emotions. She'd gone through considerable trauma, not the least of which he'd seen with his own eyes just yesterday in the strange dreamlike world she'd hidden herself in.

He hadn't been entirely forthcoming with his own demons, had he?

By the time Lottie returned, dinner was served, Varys was wearing clothes that seemed to suggest he planned on going outside, the dusty, bloodied jacket from the day before slung over his shoulders as he hunched over the jars of salt, now all sporting different colors; Red, Blue and Green. Fresh bandages covered his wound, and he turned to greet her with a smile.

"He is one hell of a cook. Much better than he used to be. Come on, let's eat. I have to go run an errand when we're done, so you can catch up on your rest for tomorrow while I'm gone."

"You're going out?" Alone? She managed to bite off that last word though it made her grimace. Lottie hated the plethora of emotions that suddenly ambushed her at the thought of being alone; fear was paramount among them though not just for him. For herself. That took her utterly aback. When had she ever been scared to be alone? When she had lived with her sisters it had been something she had wished for daily and now being alone felt more like a punishment. She folded her arms under her breasts and tried to shove those emotions deep down.

"I thought..." she cleared her throat. "I mean, I thought we were going to have an elven lesson?" She had moved over to one of the chairs and practically dropped herself into it then stared at the plate. She found her appetite suddenly gone replaced by the sour taste of worry.

• Cry
Reactions: Varys
He didn't respond to her at first, the smile fading a bit as he continued to look down at his food and eat with a conspicuously avoidant gaze as he prodded at his meal. If he'd the faintest confidence in his ability to express himself to her, maybe he'd have been more forthcoming. But... Lords above, how did he even approach the topic?

It was easier when they focused on Lottie's struggles. At least then, Varys could pretend he wasn't struggling too. What had happened yesterday? Niv's words still rang in his head... You're older than me, you transmutated freak! It isn't our place, Varys. Gods, man... First the forbidden magic, then smuggling runaways out of Oban? You're going to fight me for Beaufort?

Transmutated freak. Indeed.

Finally taking a glance up at her worried expression, he sighs and drops his fork, scratching the side of his head and sitting back with slightly pursed lips. "Yeah. I..." The hands on the table slid to his lap as he tilted his head a bit. "I guess I can wait a bit longer. I just wanted to go check on something. But it's not going anywhere." Taking in a deep breath, Varys puts the smile back on his face and leans over the table to continue eating, shoveling a few more bites of the roasted meat into his mouth.

With one eye on her, he gestured for her to eat as well, speaking between bites. "Go on then. Hard to learn with an empty stomach, isn't it?"

• Bless
Worry was quickly replaced with guilt. Varys wasn't here to entertain her or keep her company every second so why should she expect him not to want to do other things whilst they were here? This was his home after all, even if from what he had told her, it hadn't felt as such when he was younger. At his nod she automatically picked up the fork and twisted bits of food around the plate.

"I didn't mean... that you have to stay."

By the Gods, why was it so hard with him? She had talked herself out of cuffs, prisons and certain death. She couldn't tell a man he could go for a night out without her? Taking a deep breath she did the only thing she could think of. She was honest.

"I'm just worried. About you," her cheeks reddened. "I don't want you to get hurt... even more."

• Stressed
Varys had tried to move past the awkward moment between them, but she didn't eat. She sat there across from him and idly picked at her food like an indecisive bird or a brooding child. The same way he'd done moments earlier when she'd first arrived.

"I'm just worried. About you."

A slight twinge of frustration tugged at him, his golden eyes moving up to meet hers for a fraction of a second before moving right back to his meal. Worried. About him. Nobody ever worried about him. It wasn't how things worked. Ever since he'd found himself stuck in the gutters of this city, since he'd been picked up by strangers and taught how to take care of himself, he'd done all the worrying.

He worried about his Master, who constantly got himself into trouble and nearly died every other week. He worried about his first love, who'd needed that Master far more than she needed Varys. He worried about his past, about what had happened before his earliest memories. Now, he worried about Lottie. What would become of her? Could he truly keep her safe? How long before they had to run again? A day? A month? an hour?

And Lottie said she worried about him. That she didn't want him to get hurt. It was certainly the first time anybody had expressed that concern to him. It should have been touching, should have made him feel good. So why did it taste bitter?

Quietly he choked on those thoughts, delivered in a second but lingering for minutes as he dropped his utensil again, delivering another sigh as he calmed himself from the brief irk. "Lot, I don't want you to go worrying about me..."

Honesty would have been best, but he didn't know if he had that kind of a confession in him.

"This city... it has a lot of memories for me. Some of those are the kind you wish you could be rid of. I know that you know what I'm talking about." The gruesome sneak-peek he'd received still echoed in his head, and the elf grimaced a tad. "Just as your home houses hidden nightmares, so too does mine. There's a place I visit when I pass through... to remind me of why I'm here. That's where I planned to go."

It wasn't the entire truth, but none of what he'd said was a lie.

"But, as I said." He picked up his utensil and continued to eat with his voice picking up again. "It's not going anywhere, and I'm happy to start lessons tonight if you wish."

• Cry
Of course he did. Of course he had places he liked to go. Stupid, stupid, girl. It's not always about you.

"Don't be silly," Lottie shook her head and forced that weighted worry off her shoulders with a shrug. "Go, go and have a look around the city. I have enough books here to last me several weeks. I'm sure I can occupy myself for a few hours whilst you go out." It would do her good. If she started down this road, this road that led to worry every time he was out of sight, there would be problems down the road. Big problems. Like running headlong into danger to help him without stopping to think.

Taking a breath she began to eat. It was as good as it had smelt and she quickened her mouthfuls.

"If you don't come back in four hours, then I'm allowed to be worried though, okay?"

Varys looked up, almost seeming surprised by the change in her tone.

He wasn't born yesterday-- She was putting on a brave face, and while she did a good job, he knew her well enough after trudging through her mind earlier to recognize false bravery. Still, the gesture was... sweet. It brought a small smile to Varys' lips, and he stood, walking around to her and quickly wrapping her in a hug between mouthfuls of food.

"Thank you, Lottie. It means a lot to me..."

The elf slid back, his hands resting on her shoulders for a second as he stressed to her. "Shouldn't even be two. Getting home quick is more tempting with you waiting for me." He offered with a wink before throwing on his jacket and opening the door to leave. He didn't take his weapons, or anything from his personal belongings.

He wouldn't need them.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Lottie's cheeks flushed red when he bundled her into a tight embrace and the traitorous butterflies began to dance around her stomach. She was beginning to think - to worry - that these feelings were developing into something to a pitiful crush. The mortifying idea he would ever find out about it was enough for her to squash that feeling deep deep down. She couldn't ruin what they had with childlike fancies.

"Have fun," she lamely raised a hand to wave at him as he left and then instantly slapped it against her face when he left.

Have fun? Urgh.

She attempted to finish eating what she could and then cleared up the rest. The innkeep was nowhere to be found so Lottie did the dishes herself and left them stacked neatly to the side for something to do. Chores finished she made her way back to the room where she crawled under the covers with the first book the beautiful bookshop owner had given her.

Varys closed the door behind him, and stood in the hallway for a moment, the expression on his face turning a shade more conflicted than it just had been. He should have told her, and already he was kicking himself over his silence. She deserved to know, about all of it. Especially now that Niv had become involved... If Varys didn't tell her, she was going to learn on her own eventually anyways now.

But he was scared.

What if she decided to leave? What if it was too much? He wouldn't be able to blame her, not when he could barely stomach it himself... The elf leaned back against the door slightly, letting out a long, withheld sigh from his lungs as he tried to clear those thoughts.

Get yourself together, man.

He heard his own voice, muttering the words into his ear as he finally slipped downstairs and left the inn, vanishing into the night-blanketed streets of Fal'Addas. It wasn't a long trip to his destination, but it did take him away, outside of the city that protected them and into the surrounding wilderness. The west exit of the city led out into the vast forests that covered much of Falwood, and the dirt path the elf now travelled alone with only a bit of lantern light from an old rust covered lamp he'd left near the city exit years ago was one all too familiar to him.

It was quiet, like even nature itself was leaving him to stew in his own thoughts.

By the time he reached the clearing, he would have almost liked to be waylaid by bandits or animals. As it was, he had no excuse to delay his approach to the pile of moss-covered debris resting in the middle of the clearing.

Home sweet home.

Looking down at the stack of wood and stone rubble that had once been his home, he stroked his chin with a somber sigh. No, home wasn't the right word for it. This sorry pile of garbage had been a den of evils-- somewhere he'd been born, created life, and died.

Slowly, he lowers to his knees, reaching out to pull at some of the jagged, ripped planks and discarded stones. They looked to be a haphazard mess, but in reality, he'd placed them in such a way that removing the debris in a certain order revealed something hidden beneath, tucked neatly out of view.

A notebook, bound in dyed blue leather, seemingly unaffected by the weather. He slid his hand beneath a large scrap of floorboard and retrieved it, pulling it close to his chest almost immediately, as though it were a child.

Niv knew he was in town now, and he also knew about this place. Eventually, he'd come to look for Varys here. He couldn't be allowed to have this notebook. If there was even a chance he could find it...

He slid it into his jacket and stood, taking another long look at the rubble. A reminder of what he'd once had, and how he'd destroyed it so thoughtlessly. A renewed sense of determination bubbled in his chest, and for the first time since he left the inn, he took in a deep breath and truly cleared his head.

Tonight, he decided. He would tell her. If not everything, then something. She'd earned that from him.

The Inn was dark when he returned, and he could hear the snores of the innkeeper from his room in the back as clear as day. A smirk grew as he noticed the cleanliness of the bar though-- So Lot really was planning to win the old fart over.

He climbed the steps slowly, each footfall preparing him for... whatever conversation he was preparing to have. He'd been so determined just a while ago, but already the fear threatened to creep back into his heart the closer he came to the door.

Closing his eyes and holding his breath, he gripped the doorknob and returned.

"Hey, I'm back. Miss anything exciting?"

• Cthuloo
Lottie enjoyed learning. It was a quiet love that her sisters had often teased her about but the next day would then drop a book into her lap on a particular subject that interested her. This encouragement had deepened a tentative curiosity into a deep love. So it would have been of no surprise to any who knew her to hear the instant she settled into the book she all but forgot everything else. Languages were complex, beautiful things, and elvish was old on top of that. She felt as though she were reading about secrets thousands of years old.

As Varys entered the room lights suddenly burst to life in the room in an imitation of fireworks. At least, if fireworks were made by people only 6 inches tall.

Lottie jumped out of her skin and the book in her hands went tumbling to the floor as she rolled to her feet, grabbing the nearest thing to her which just so happened to be the candlestick. It took a food few seconds for her to process the man entering the door was Varys and not an intruder. She let out a breath.

"Seven Hells, I'm so sorry. I didn't hear you coming up the stairs..." she bent and picked up the book with great care then set the candlestick back on the side, noting for the first time how short the wick was. She fished another out of the draw. "Did you... get what you needed?" Space? Clarity?

Normally, the fireworks display may have been enough to shock or surprise Varys. As much effort as he'd spent steeling himself for what he planned to do though, he could only lean back and smile at the impromptu light show that waited for him as he entered the room, raising a somewhat teasing eyebrow at his protege as she brandished the deadly looking lighting implement at him for a moment.

"Enjoying the book then, I take it? Good. You learn quickly when you focus hard on something." He conspicuously chose not to answer her question directly, sliding his coat off and tossing it over one of the chairs as he walks past her, to the salt jars he'd prepared earlier. Sure enough, they sizzled and crackled lightly with the brief presence of Lottie's magic. They would work perfectly for tomorrow's exercise.

If they got that far. Turning on his heel, he took another deep breath, putting on a smile and nodding at last to the question she asked. "I figured out what I need to do, yeah." He stated honestly, pulling up the chair with his jacked and sliding down onto it, the words on his chest practically making him feel as though he'd burst, even though he didn't really know how he was going to word his admission.

So he didn't think. Instead, he just let it out.

"Lottie, I want you to know who I really am. I'm not some random magic prodigy who just happens to have a hell of a lot of connections. I'm... a lot older than I look. This is my second time living. My second body."

• Wonder
Lottie's cheeks heated at his compliment and she carefully set the book on the bedside table. Was he being sincere or teasing her for how she often got side tracked when it came to magic? She wouldn't be side tracked when it came to Elvish though. Or at least that was what she vowed to herself right there and then. She began to tidy up the other bits of evidence of her deep reading dive such as the empty plate with a clear lack of biscuits and a notebook with hastily written notes. Varys sounding serious made her stop faffing though and she came to sit on the edge of the bed with a concerned frown.

She was expecting something bad. He'd found evidence of them being watched, or the wound he had taken was more serious than before. Not a lesson on how elves aged! Her frown turned from one of concern into mild irritation.

"I know how elves wor... what do you mean second body?"

Varys let his gaze slide to the side, bringing his hands to interlock at his chin as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. There was no more beating around the bush to be done. He'd held onto his regrets and resentments long enough. If she was truly to learn from him, then she deserved to know where exactly the knowledge she'd be garnering came from.

"A long time ago, there was an old transmutation mage living outside the city, about an hour into the woods. This elf was old, even for our kind. So old that there used to be rumors he was the grandson of a Fae." Of course, if that were true Varys had no memory of it, but it wouldn't surprise him, given his former self's incredible talent for magic. The elf shifted uncomfortably, eyeing the book she'd been reading as if it were some kind of distraction. "His name was Varys San'Seya."

For a long time, Varys had been convinced that the foggy memories of an older man raising him in the small house in the woods were that of his father. He'd resented him for his cruelty, his uncaring attitude and the experiments he endured. It wasn't until after the last time Lottie had seen Varys that he'd discovered a more disturbing truth.

"Varys was about as mean as they get. Brilliant mage, but a shit person. The only thing he ever cared about was himself, becoming powerful and keeping the people who crossed him under his thumb. You can imagine he wasn't taking his looming death very well. So he came up with a plan, something that could break the very laws that govern the world in a hairbrained attempt to live forever."

Varys leans back, reaching into his jacket and retrieving the blue notebook from the inside pocket, resting it onto his lap and opening it to a page covered in scribbled elven and drawings of strange shapes and diagrams. With her limited time studying, she wouldn't understand a word of it, he imagined...

"He'd found something on one of his travels... an old artifact buried in a cave underneath The Spine. He called it The Prism, and he was convinced he could use it to move his very being into a new body. As for where he'd get that body... He was a master at transmutation. So long as one is willing to break every rule in the book and has the talent, enough blood, bone and flesh can create just that."

Finally, the hand that wasn't holding the notebook gestured vaguely to himself.

"That is how I was born. Not from a mother and father, but the sinews of innocent victims that Varys San'Seya deemed fit for his 'perfect' new self. I'm a crime against nature."

The declaration was said with a somber tone, and still Varys struggled to meet her gaze.

"I should have told you sooner. I'm sorry."

• Wonder
Lottie simply sat and stared at Varys for a long time after he was finished.

It would have been a lot of information for a person who was used to magic, who had grown up immersed in the type of society where outsiders and different races were welcomed more. No doubt even a college student from Elbion, or a Dreadlord from Vel Anir would have needed time to process it. Lottie needed far more. Her knowledge of magic and the possibilities of this world were woefully lacking. To her, the smallest trickle of magic was cause for awe and wonder. The types of magic Varys was describing were simply... inconceivable to her. She had never even thought it possible to do what Varys had told her. That anything close to it was possible, even. Not only that, but it challenged everything Lottie had been taught about magic. Of course she knew that the teachings of the Obanese were never going to be fair to magic users but that self awareness did not mean it was easy for her to dismiss the fears of it imposed upon her since birth.

But Varys isn't someone to be scared of.

The elf she knew had saved her life, had comforted her, had looked into the darkest parts of her mind and not recoiled from her. He hadn't left. A fact that she couldn't even say about her own sisters.

Did what he say change any of that?

Eventually she broke her statue like position to rub her temples as though to ease some great headache.

"But... you're not him?" Lottie asked as she struggled desperately to understand. "You talk like he's your father... so he's not... you're not the same person?"

The in the air may have well have been razor thin needles sliding into every one of Varys' pores. This was even worse than speaking up, the waiting for what she'd say. Would she say anything, even? Would she just stand up and leave? He wouldn't have blamed her for it, nor would she be the first to leave him behind over his choices. The elf sat across from her, his hands on his knees and his head hung slightly low as he waited for the inevitable.

But she didn't move. Instead, she spoke, pressing further. "But... you're not him?"

The question made his entire body feel as though it were crawling with invisible insects. Because he knew the truth, regardless of semantics, would not be the one she was hoping to hear. It was one he struggled with himself, far more than he showed outwardly.

"We-- Rather, I am. At the same time, I'm not." The elf shifted uneasily. "Magic that powerful is... unreliable. Every form of magic comes with a cost. The stronger the magic, the higher that cost. The Varys from back then didn't consider things like that, and he paid for it." Tampering with life and death was taboo even amongst the most powerful of mages. Eternal life simply wasn't feasible, not without irreparable damage. "His plan worked, but he forgot everything. Who he was, what he believed in... Imagine setting your mind back to what it was like when you were born. All the experiences that molded your personality, made you who you were, erased like they never happened."

He straightened his back up, his teeth clamped hard on his lower lip as he powered through the absurdity and shame of it all. He'd been a great mind lured down a dark path through greed and selfishness, and now he was a walking monstrosity. At least, that's what he saw when he looked in the mirror now.

"So I am him, but I'm not him too, you see? I didn't even realize all of this until a few years ago. The memories, my memories, were still inside me, just buried deep. You can imagine the fun I had when they started trickling back in..."

• Stressed
You see?

Lottie looked at him in the same manner a child might look at their professor after explaining algebra for the first time. This was clearly very important and upsetting for her friend and so she desperately wanted to understand what it was he was telling her but she simply couldn't comprehend it. With a small frown she stood and slid instead onto his lap, wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug. No, Lottie couldn't understand the implications this magic had on the world. She couldn't fathom how it had even worked. And, she certainly couldn't begin to imagine how this discovery had impacted her friend. All she could understand was that from the look on his face, Varys needed a friend.

Being a friend Lottie could understand.

"Well, I didn't meet past you. You, the Varys here and now, is the man who saved my life, who lost an ear for me. This Varys is the one I wouldn't hesitate risking my life for. And if you start becoming a dick like past you, I'll just punch you and tell you straight - you're being a dick." She had no idea if that would help him from reverting back to the man he once was, but it couldn't be all that different from someone giving up alcohol and trying to stick to the straight and narrow. They just needed a moral compass. Now, Lottie was a rather bent and battered compass, but she could try and be better for Varys if it meant saving both their souls.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Varys wished there was an easier way to explain it, but if he was being honest the whole thing confused him just as much as it obviously did her. He'd have been more concerned if she'd taken everything he'd just told her in effortlessly, he'd have been far more concerned.

Still, the long silence was agony to say the very least. The quiet questions and insecurities that permeated every second of thought he held seemed to last an eternity, though really it was probably only a minute before Lottie stood from her seat. He'd expected her to turn and leave the room, to confirm the fear that had eaten at him since he'd decided to speak.

Varys slid his eyes shut, not wishing to watch her go. It was his own fault for hiding it. He should have been honest, should have told her as soon as she'd expressed a desire to travel with him. Gods, how could he have been so short-sighted, stupid and selfish all at the same ti--

The seemingly unending stream of self-deprecation that beat down his psyche was at last interrupted as he felt her weight settle onto him as she slid into his lap, followed by the warmth of her body as she wrapped her arms around his slouched form and held him tight. His breath caught in his throat, only for a moment, before he seemed to melt into her arms, leaning against her as she reassured him.

"If you start becoming a dick like past you, I'll just punch you and tell you straight - you're being a dick."

What came out of his mouth was a mix between a sob and a laugh, but it was enough to make him open his eyes to meet hers, the sadness on his face now countered by the beginnings of a smile.

"Lot... Thank you, I..."

He'd been so sure he was going to be left behind that he wasn't entirely sure what to do now that she hadn't. He felt his arms raise to wrap around her, resting on her back as he returned her embrace. It was... nice. To be held. To be close to her. Varys hadn't realized until now just how badly he'd needed it.

"I should have told you sooner. I was just... I was terrified that I would lose you. I..." Varys trailed off, stopping himself. No, he'd tried that one once, and it'd been foolish. He'd spare himself that a second time. Instead, he tilted his head forward, leaning it against her own slightly. "You're very important to me."

• Ctuhlu senpai
"You're important to me, too."

Lottie closed her eyes as their foreheads rested against one another, their breath mixing in the small space between them. She hoped he knew they were not empty words uttered to soothe the pains of a friend. That they meant a great deal. Feeling the relief in the way his body relaxed eased the tension in her own shoulders; had this been all that had bothered him since their run in with his old friend? Had he feared his enemy would tell him before he could? Did that mean it had nothing to do with what he had seen in her nightmares given life? The last thought was such a relief she tightened her arms around him more.

"You're not going to lose me, Varys. I don't leave people," no, Lottie was like a faithful dog. Even when abandoned herself she would wait, hoping, for them to return. "We should get some rest if we're going to be starting magic for real tomorrow," she drew back to study his eyes and make sure he was well. That he was him. She saw no shadows of any others and so smiled. "You're going to need it if the last few lessons are anything to go by."

It was kind of funny. When she was this close to him, holding him like she was... It almost seemed like maybe she'd understood what he'd told her that night. Regardless of what she felt about him, the woman who comforted him now was the most important friend that Varys had ever had.

He'd poured his heart out to her, laid bare all his sins and atrocities, and she hadn't moved an inch. She came closer, in fact. Lottie, whose own demons haunted her every time she closed her eyes, lent herself to help him.

Varys didn't deserve her. Not as a pupil, not as a friend, and certainly not in the way he wanted her most.

That didn't mean he planned to turn her away, though. He would be there for her, just as she'd held him close at his weakest. As Lottie drew back, Varys tightened his grip on her slightly, pulling her gently back down into his embrace. "Wait."

There was no quiver left in his voice. She'd quelled his fears, and now he wished to ease hers. He tilted his head, bringing his lips to one side of her face as he spoke.

"I want you to know that I don't care about what happened to you, Lottie."

He had seen it when she'd gone out of control the other day. Of course he had. How could he have missed the despicable acts that she had so endlessly fixated on? The horrors committed on her were every bit the prison that his past sins were for him. She sought to free him from his chains, and he wished to break hers as well.

It would take time. It wouldn't be easy.

But they were nothing if not a good team.

"The things they did to you, what you experienced... It doesn't change how I see you. It never did. You're a beautiful creature that withstood some of the world's darkest ugliness and came out the other side even more lovely."

Slowly, he pulled his head back to meet her gaze once more.

"I can't pretend to know what you endured. It would be insensitive of me to try. But I know that the person looking at me right now isn't a victim any longer. She's strong. And her history is not her destiny."

• Cry
Wait.

Lottie already knew what was coming from the look on his face and the tone of his voice. Her whole body stiffened as she was caught halfway from his lap and the decision whether to continue through and run from what was about to come, or sit and face it. He had laid his soul bare to her and awaited judgement - Lottie owed him the same kindness. Every part of her was as hard as iron as she physically prepared for his dismissal or - worse still - his pity. She didn't - couldn't - be a charity case to him. It would make her no less of a weight than she had been to her sisters and both of them had left her, unable to withstand it anymore.

I want you to know that I don't care about what happened to you, Lottie.

Her green eyes widened and she sucked in a breath.

The things they did to you, what you experienced... It doesn't change how I see you. It never did. You're a beautiful creature that withstood some of the world's darkest ugliness and came out the other side even more lovely.

His words hit her as hard as a punch but they didn't hurt. Oh, they knocked the wind from her lungs and she found her body began to tremble despite her trying to hold the fragile cage of her emotions together, but they didn't hurt. And when he pulled back and she saw no pity there, only something light and pure, something broke inside of her.

I can't pretend to know what you endured. It would be insensitive of me to try. But I know that the person looking at me right now isn't a victim any longer. She's strong. And her history is not her destiny.

She couldn't speak. She didn't even bother to brush away the tears that made their slow way down her cheeks. All the fears she had used to hide the fragile truth of her feelings were cut away like poisonous weeds and somehow that fragile seed had not only grown but blossomed there behind the thorns. Before she could fully comprehend what that meant, Lottie leant forward and pressed her lips to his.