Fable - Ask Spears and Stones

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Lale Carvyre

Character Biography
Link
Lale had waited a week before making her rounds through old haunts of Valenntenia. Her words of support for the Vanguard have been met with quite the positive response, and had made itself known throughout the ancient city after a couple of days. Her return had been met with disdain and murmurs, whispered behind her back wherever she went, but now, the name Carvyre was back in the good graces of the forgiving people. She was on their side, there to help the Vanguard, truly help them and create some change. Her family were in deep with the Generals and Commander, and it meant there was more support for her cause.

Being a politician had never been her agenda. She needed support for her true goal, but no one could go up against the Absalon and tradition, even with the name Carvyre.

In the Tower, a Great Library was open to the public. Not many wandered the aisles that housed the written accounts of past Guardians, but Lale knew her way around it when spending her time here every evening since the party. She insisted her staff prepare the Carvyre House, the large residential household in Old Town that used to serve as a guest house for friends of the Carvyres, but Lale needed to be close by the Vanguard, the prison, and the Tower.

Some Guardians did not choose to reside in the Tower, some Somners did not either, but Lale was sure she would run into someone here in the library, snooping on the written memories of Guardians past and gone. She was reading the Guardian of Fire, many generations before her, of the name Arisa Carvyre. She died in service to Valenntenia, blazing her power one particularly cruel winter to keep the city alive. Her fire extinguished, and thus her oath ended.

Many Guardians of that time wrote how selfish she was to sacrifice herself, the Stone too. It consumed her, made her unable to control the inferno and created her demise.

But Lale knew every Guardian was different, that the Stones they swore to protect granted them a different notion of power than the last Guardian of their Runestone.

"Thank you for your service, Guardian Arisa." Lale murmured, snapping the journal closed before placing it onto the reading table before her. She craned her neck from side to side, stretching her arms upwards as a yawn fought to escape past her lips.

There was much to learn and read, her own book of notes left open that detailed what Stone was worth keeping in rotation. Faith was a scarce material to read up on. The recovered writings were indiscernible, written by those that went mad with power and greed. Lale had already been chewed out by Kaira Yehven, and decided to explore that Stone at a later date.

She turned around to see who else was in the library, hoping to catch a Guardian or someone that has worked with them.

No politics today, she thought to herself, only the goal to serve my own agenda.

One such Guardian that did not often make extended stays at the Tower could be found in the Library. It, of all the places here, was the one place most relevant to she and her endeavors. Keeping to herself as she was want to do, Stella made no plan nor plot for an intersection of her day with the Carvyre girl. As with most things, it just so happened that the Guardian of Wisdom and Knowledge was crossing the main hall of the library just as Lale happened to look.

Her human nose and eyes were glued to the book in her hands. She did not look up and hardly seemed to notice other people around her aside from the need to step around them should they be in her path.

She disappeared into another row of stacks just as quickly as she appeared.

• Devil
Reactions: Lale Carvyre
Lale was on her feet.

Her boots were the only loud sound in the Great Library, overpowering the light scraping of pages being turned, or the scratching of quills. Stella was a Guardian Lale had thought she would never get the chance to meet with, to get her opinion on the changes she would one day bring to the Absalon's attention.

One of the few Guardians not of complete human race, it was the first direction of change from tradition that gave Lale hope for the vision she wanted to bring forth.

"Stella." She called out in a normal volume, startling some Scribes nearby. "May we have a chat?"

She was not sure if the Guardian knew of her, but it was safe to assume everyone knew her family name. "I am Lale Carvyre. I just wanted to ask you a few questions... and seeing as you are entrusted the Stone of Wisdom, well, I guess you are the best first choice."

Stella

• Popcorn
Reactions: Stella
It was the volume of the words that aroused her attention and not the lack of title preceding her name. Titles held no tangible meaning to Stella whereas the failure to honor the quiet of the library meant quite a lot. Librarys were sacred places of learning, to be respected and revered. Loudness beget no sense of charm or decorum, and even still that the young woman spoke in what might've been construed as a normal tone anywhere else - the Guardian of Wisdom had always been rather gentile and soft spoken by nature.

Stella's footsteps came to a halt rather abruptly, the book in her hands closing with gentle purpose before she turned to face the woman in question. Her eyes, very briefly, slipped down and up in quick assessment before taking one, then two strides toward her and stopping several feet away.

"You may ask your questions of me," she replied in a soft tone, her head tilting in emphasis, "quietly, Miss Carvyre."

A gentle smirk pulled at her lips, turned smile.

"Thank you." She complied to the hushed tones commonly used in such a setting. "I trust you are aware of the changes I am advocating for the Vanguard? I guess, the question I want to ask most is, what are your thoughts on you and your fellow Guardians on being subjected to Stones that should by this day and age, be retired?"

Lale had no notes to read off of, no quill to write down anything. She simply met the gaze of the Guardian steadily, unwavering in her first question.

Stella

"Subjected?" Stella echoed, blinking in a rare but mild display of emotion that conveyed of offense and alarm, "Miss Carvyre, none of the Guardians are subjected to the stones. Those who serve do so of their own willing accord with ample preparation and knowledge of and for the sacrifices they make of themselves to do so. Myself especially - my service to the city holds no negative grounds. It is my honor and privilege to maintain the Rune of Wisdom and Knowledge until such a time another more suitable Guardian can be found so that its gifts may continue to support this city and its people."

"As for retirement, I find that implication leading and contrived. Magic does not simply retire, my dear. That is not its nature. You would have the Runes ... what? Destroyed? Locked up? Lost and forgotten only to be discovered by others who may impart their powers to the ruin of the greater world? To what end does their retirement serve that would balance out for the better than their present employment?"

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Lale quirked a brow. She knew titles were not a worry of dragons, but to hear herself be regarded simply as Miss...

"The Stones do not always choose a Guardian. Such as the case with Faith. I believe I heard even Wisdom was being discussed on retiring as no human could handle it's power." Lale shrugged, passing it off that these were merely talk. "Power, another Stone that takes from it's Guardian."

Before Stella could interject with another rebuttal, Lale continued to speak. With her arm resting against a shelf, she leaned slightly into it, looking casual. "The way we handle these Stones need to change. The training runestones? Some of them do not seem to prepare a Hopeful enough. I also believe proper training in addition should be made. We cannot have a dragon serve Valenntenia for each Stone, but at least that idea gives us a way of asserting that we truly hold power here."

Lale threw her hands up, chuckling. "I think what I aimed to say is that only the truly worthy should be given a Stone. Trained by the Vanguard too. Be able to make those bandits that think they could target anything belonging to Valenntenia that they will have hell to pay..."

Stella

It seemed Lale had called for her time simply to hear herself speak rather than hear the words of others. A common tactic of youth where they believed that their words held more power than they actually did. Perhaps it worked with those of weaker willed minds, but Stella found herself bored of the girl's nattering the moment she failed to give her a moment to respond.

Nonplussed, the Guardian shifted her attention away from the young Carvyre and lifted the book in her hands upwards with the will of her magic to replace it to its spot on a high shelf far above her head.

"Well, Miss Carvyre, it sounds as if you have all your opinions in order and your cup overfull. Do let me know when it is empty to receive again. If you'll excuse me, I must return to my work."

• Devil
"Please, thank you for your time." Lale plastered on a smile.

Well that had not gone as she had liked, but she needed to remember that it was a dragon she had conversed with, not some human that would play into the fear mongering Lale had been accused of by the Absalon. One day, she will speak with Stella again...

Leaving the Wisdom Guardian on her own, Lale returned to gather her things and shoulder her bag. The Great Library no longer held use for her, and so she made her way out from the double doors, each side manned by a single Vanguard sentry. The one on the outside smiled at her, saluting her as if she were the General and not her father.

Carvyre wandered out to the small courtyard at the base of the Tower, another quiet area where others had taken to looking out to the view of the Nahas Ocean, and the many boats incoming and departing.

Valenntenia was littered with Guardians after this Homecoming, and she hoped she could bump into another to attempt another angle of discussion. At least there was only one dragon among the current roster.

Pockets stuffed with treats, Ingrid stole out of the Tower, hopeful no kitchen staff would learn of her pantry theft. She couldn't help herself, when her stone was put away, she was able to actually taste food again! As much as she loved being a Guardian, and as much as her stone wanted her, it was nice to have the reprieve from the effects she received when wandering the world with it.

Solomon had imparted her with some wisdom that she needed time to absorb, so she made her way to a bench that looked out into the ocean, crossing her legs on the seat as she began to pull snacks from various pockets. Solomon had someone he wanted her to meet, and despite her trust in the Absalon, she felt worry gnawing at her. There were so many things happening right now, she almost had debated just grabbing her stone and departing once more.

Lale Carvyre

• Devil
"I swear I could throw a stone from the Tower and find myself a Guardian." Lale's voice mused into the ocean breeze, descending the stairs and making her way to where Ingrid placed herself to watch the sea. She did not sit to join, rather standing before the Guardian of Disease.

"Lale Carvyre." She would not offer her hand. Lale could see the effects the Stone had. How her skin held a sickly pallor to it. "I had invited all the Guardians to audience at my home when I had returned here to Valenntenia. You did not come." And Villam had. Mordred too. She knew both would not favour a word she had to say. Villam had tried to dangle the good in his life before her, to get a rise out of her, but Lale was not one to be easily detracted from her path.

"I wonder, Guardian Bohnes, has the Absalon asked you to see my father?" The curious thought had been spoken as quickly as it came into existence. She did not want to dive straight into her agenda. Not when there was a possibility Ingrid could be a cure.

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid paused as the form of a girl presented herself, rather abruptly. She blocked the view, and seemed almost hostile in her introduction. Ingrid blinked a few times, staring blankly for a moment before shoving a sweet in her mouth.

"I don't like being around people. It's as simple as that. Especially people I don't know, I barely talk to other Guardians."

Ingrid thought that would be that, but as it turned out, the girl had questions. She ate another sweet, chewing thoughtfully as she studied Lale. She wondered if Mordred would have entertained such chatter? "The Absalon and I spoke of a few things, neither you nor your father came up. I'm sorry, but, who exactly are you? Someone important or?" Ingrid had been blissfully unaware of any goings on beside her own interests. Right now her interest was snacks, and learning more about her stone. Little else had mattered to the young carrier of Disease.

Lale Carvyre

• Cthulhoo rage
Lale scoffed lightly. She had purposefully left out her noble title, not wishing to put that expectation on the Guardians she was not familiar with.

But she had studied them. She knew their names, how long they had served as Guardian, and their frequency of residing in Valenntenia.

"I am an advocate for the Vanguard. I have asked the Absalon to make some changes to this city, to speak and let the Vanguard be heard." Perhaps the Disease Stone attacked the brain and her wits, rather than a physical ailment. Lale took a step back, debating whether Gurdian Bohnes was worth it or not.

She would rather the aimless conversation with Stella than this.

Or even finding Yehven and apologising to her... which she knew would be too much of a whiplash for the woman.

"My father is currently in his cell, taken ill. I suppose I must be glad if the Absalon has not taken you down to see him, means he believes it is no certain disease."

Ingrid Bohnes

Oops, it seemed Ingrid had offended the girl in front of her. Touchy then, wasn't she? Ingrid also noted the step back, which made her snort in response. She was used to the behavior, everyone did it. She was Disease, she stank, she was scary, everyone was afraid..blah blah blah. Still, she managed to reel in her distaste and really listen to the girl.

"What's wrong with the Vanguard? They've been run the same without issues for forever. I don't understand why things would need to change." In went another sweet, chewing as Lale fed her another morsel of insight.

"It's also possible the Absalon knows this is the only time I get to feel normal, better, and has not forced me to retake up my mantle prematurely. I get to put my stone away, recover for a while before I begin my journey anew. Respite desperately needed to maintain myself. Perhaps he will come to me before I leave again, perhaps not." Ingrid shrugged, either way it was none of her business. "I'm sorry your father is ill, if it's worth needing my aide, then I am willing, but not before my time of rest is up."

Lale Carvyre

• Blank
Lale pursed her lips.

"The Vanguard have always been the same, yes, and that is why the numbers are dropping. After my father put his position in bad light, no one has wished to be associated. Men and women are being overworked and there is not enough demand to start asking for other outlier cities for aide." The mighty and famed Valenntenia, asking for military numbers? It sent the wrong message to those thirsty for opportunity.

"Forget my father. He dug himself that grave. My concern is the Vanguard. The Carvyres have always been at the height of power within the ranks, and after the relieving of Odhran Carvyre from his title General, I thought to listen to my cousins and friends of the family and speak on their behalf.

Change must happen. If the Guardians are so out of touch with the city they are loyal to..." Here, Carvyre let out a wry laugh. She shook her head.

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid remained silent as the girl before her talked, and talked, and talked. Once she paused for breath, Ingrid gave a wry smile as she watched the passionate girl. There were points that Lale was making, that while obvious to her perhaps, would not be obvious to most Guardians.

"So are you boasting about your name in the Vanguard? What makes you think the Guardians can do anything? You do realize that most of us leave the city for years at a time and would have absolutely no clue about what happens during our pilgrimages, right?"

She wasn't trying to instigate with Lale, she felt these were pertinent questions, blunt as she may be. She felt what she was saying was fair, even if it sounded argumentative. "What exactly is your goal here? I here a lot of the Vanguard is broken, but not what you would do to fix it." Ingrid tilted her head questioningly, popping another sweet into her mouth.

Lale Carvyre

• Cthulhoo rage
Lale skewered the Guardian with Disease with a wry smile.

"How to fix it? You need the Somners and the Absalon, but I want the Guardians to be responsible for Valenntenia too." She casted a hand out to the view, to the sea and to the sprawling scene of the Old Town. "The fact our most powerful sources of power choose to leave for so long, to not be in touch with this city unless it is to return home, to say they are fit to continue their service... you forget those you leave behind to protect your loved ones."

Then she raised a brow, looking at Ingrid once again. "If you have loved ones."

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid took a moment before responding to the bitter girl in front of her. She seemed a little too emotional to be doing the groundwork of her agenda, Ingrid might have been more apt to listen if she hadn't been so aggressive immediately.

"I understand what you are wanting, but you know why the Guardians leave the city right? It's not because we want to, it's necessary. It would not bode well for all the stones to stay in one spot, that's asking for something terrible to happen. If you want support with the Somners, and Solomon you're going about it the wrong way. You can't just bristle and go on attack mode when asked simple questions. I ask them because I don't know."

She waved away the comment about loved ones, it was mean and Lale knew it. "As the carrier of Disease, I do not subject my self to others. It's hard to be around me, it's hard for me to connect to people when I continuously worry about accidentally hurting them. I distance myself becasue it's better for people as a whole. So when I ask about the Vanguard, I'm really asking. What has broken it in such a way that you would go against all of Valenntenia for change?"

Lale Carvyre

• Cthulhoo rage
Lale knew the reasons, but she had not been asking for all fifteen Guardians to be present.

But she had enough of speech already, of asking for change that many were so oblivious to in the first place. Either they saw her for her father's misdeeds, or her aggressive approach for change. To be heard. Lale had always been that way, bossy as a child, confident as a youthful young woman, and now in her adult years, she took on the hard approach with a force.

"I do not go against Valenntenia. We are so stuck in the ways of tradition and history that it seems we gloss over the ugly parts of this city. The memories that still stain the stones in Old Town. The bodies that fell to the sea floor to be eaten by the creatures that dwell there. This is not the first time in Valenntenian history that this city needed a number of Guardians present. Guardians are the third rank in power here. Above the Vanguard. Yehven wants to rejoin the ranks of the Vanguard again, but the Somners have changed their tune and forbid her."

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid fell silent once more, listening intently but still not quite receiving the answers she desired. It was if they were being skirted, Lale certainly didn't appreciate the directness Ingrid was hitting her with. Ingrid still wanted to know what it was that Lale wanted the Guardians to do. It wasn't really in their hands at all, sure they had respect and got paid to do this, but it's not like any of them were calling any sort of orders.

They were only powerful, because the stones made them that way. When it came to the city and how it was run? None of them participated in that. how could they? "So, what exactly do you want me to do? I don't really care for politics obviously. I'd prefer to hear from the others, but it doesn't seem like you are getting many ears. So, Lale, what exactly do you want me to do?"

Lale Carvyre

• Blank
Lale lifted a brow, rounding onto the woman of Disease's grasp.

"What I want you to do, Guardian Bohnes, is to find out the fractures in the people here. Start with the Vanguard, hear their woes from their mouths." Carvyre peered down at her coat, flicking nothing from the woolen front of it. ."And then I want you to go speak the those dwelling by the port in the Province. Ask them how the trading fairs. Ask them why their business has been on the decline..."

A bell tolled somewhere down below, ringing out to be heard in Old Town and the Province.

"I must take my leave. Four bells is when the medics change shifts and I have volunteered to monitor the clinic." Lale stared upon the woman one last time.

"Do your own research. You will come to learn why I demand these changes in your own way."

Bandits plagued the roads to Valenntenia. Pirates were strife in the waters beyond the port. Money and business on the decline as neighbouring cities refused to make way to the ancient city to trade.

"Good day, Guardian Bohnes."