Private Tales Sierra's Storytime

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
“With a sweep of his arm, he yanked open the door at the top of the tower. With a lift, she was set back on her feet to face a large, circular room. Large in that a good portion of her family cottage could fit inside.”

“There was a four poster bed. A small area behind a screen for bathing and bathroom needs and a desk. Two windows were on opposite sides.”

“But the floor was that cold, glittering stone. There were no rugs. No warm colors. No fireplace. Being in the tower, it was drafty. Daisy was grateful to see there was a thin blanket on the bed.”

“Even if it was thin. She turned back to the one who’d carried her up.”

Last edited:
“His look seemed distant and he began to turn around.”

“Wait, Daisy cried. She took a half step forward. He didn’t turn fully but he paused and glanced over his shoulder. What now?”

“Now you decide how you can entertain the Hunter King to stay alive. He said.”

“What’s your name? Daisy blurted. Wanting to know something.”

“It looked like he wouldn't answer as he turned back to the open door and took a step over the threshold to leave.”

“Storm, he quietly admitted. Then closed the door behind him.”

“Daisy took a step forward and couldn't help it as her hand went to the knob. She tried it. But it was locked. Turning, she quickly crossed to the windows and flung them open.”

“But it was a long drop down. A dizzying height. The moat and fields were far below here. She leaned over, dipping her head out further. The wind picked up and snapped and rigged at her hair with a cold bite.”

“She quickly pulled back and closed the window. Shivering. Stuffing her cold hands beneath her armpits.”

“A shuddering sigh left her lips. Eyes squeezed closed as she tried to keep the tears back. She was tired and scared. Would she ever see her family again?”

“She’d been so foolish to go back to the edge of the wood. To explore. A shake of her head as she tried to get control of her emotions. Tame her fear so she could think.”

“With a shuddering breath, Daisy opened her eyes. She forced herself to move. She began looking around the room for anything she might be able to use.”

“To use for what she didn’t know. A crouch to look beneath the bed. Just a few pieces of wayward straw there. Then she looked at the desk.”

“But there were no drawers or anything on it. Save for a thin layer of dust. She wandered to the screened area. Just a bucket filled with water.”

“The water had a thin layer of ice over it. A frown tugged her lips. There was nothing here. With one final try, she walked to the bed and threw the thin blanket off.”

“Just a thread-bare sheet beneath. Her shoulders slumped as she turned and sat on the edge of the mattress. Face pressed into her hands.”

“Think. Think. THINK.”

“But her mind came up blank. Slowly, her fingers dragged away from her face. Bending down, she untied her boots and kicked them off. With nothing more to do, she curled up on the bed, hugging the only blanket close to her.”

“Daisy didn’t think she’d sleep. She was too worried. But her body disagreed. As soon as she closed her eyes she fell into a deep slumber. Perhaps when she woke up this would all be a dream. At least she hoped.”

“The soft glow of morning light filtering through the uncurtained windows roused her. Eyes opened and her body felt stiff and cold.”

“She was still there. In this tower room. Not back in her family’s cottage. Not smelling the beginning of breakfast her mother cooked in the iron skillet. No boisterous noises from her many brothers trying to steal the cooking baking before it was ready.”

“No scolding from her mother or whack of the wooden spoon against their knuckles. It was quiet here. And lonely.”

“And so cold. Shivering, she stood, keeping the blanket wrapped around her. Looking down at the ice covered water, she grit her teeth and broke through it, quickly dipping on her hands for a quick wash.”

“She only had one set of clothes, so she tugged them back on her damp skin. There was a sharp knock on her door. She peaked beyond the screen.”

“The red haired female from last night looked in. Daisy didn't know why but she assumed it would be Storm. A frown pulled at the corners of her mouth. One she quickly smoothed over.”

“Come, the female called. Breakfast is downstairs in the great hall. And the King will request your performance today. Probably sometime in the afternoon.”

“Performance? Daisy asked. All too eager to leave this bare room. She followed after the redhead.”

“The female was tall. Nearly as tall as Storm. Yes, she peered down at Daisy. To decide if it’s worth it to let you live. The treaty gives him the power to do so. Any who cross forfeit their lives she said.”

“They wove down the long spiral staircase. The stone still glittered like stars set in a night background. By the time they got to the bottom, Daisy’s legs felt like wet noodles.”

“But the red haired female didn’t stop. And Daisy had a feeling that she’d better keep up. Especially if she wanted breakfast.”

“There were some Daisy recognized in the halls and many rooms they passed. And all seemed to openly stare at her. As if they’d never seen a human girl before. Or in a long time.”

“And unlike the Hunter King, they were not disinterested. And Daisy couldn’t help gawking back. They were all so tall. Elegant. There was something so graceful about the way they moved and the fine clothes they wore.”

"As Daisy got further down the hall and wove through several other corridors, she realized one could easily get lost in this castle. It was larger than she originally thought. Clinking of glasses and silverware on plates caught her attention."

"Oh and that smell."

"The glorious smell of food. Smells like the bacon her mother would be cooking right now. A twist of her heart at the thought. Were they worried? Did they think she'd just gotten up early and was playing in the fields?"

Sierra blinked and refocused on Rose, hearing her daughter's breathing shift. Yup, she was asleep. Her little eyes were closed. Mouth was partly opened. Her little unicorn stuffie was still wrapped in a relaxed hand to her side.

Smiling, Sierra stood and gave her daughter a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Pulling up the blanket, she eased out of the room and closed the door, leaving it open just a crack.

The story would have to wait until tomorrow night.

And the next day brought many ups and downs. Rose scraped her knee playing. She seemed upset about something else, even snapping at Cillian. Sierra had never seen this side of her, at least, not since she was between two and three.

There were a lot more tears between the day and a few tantrums.

More arguing before bed until Rose was nestled grumpily beneath the blankets.

"Rose," Sierra began. Her voice gentle. Trying not to let her daughter's quickly shifting emotions bombard her empathy. "Talk to me. It's just us now. What's going on?"

Rose sniffled. "Nothing," she insisted and looked away from Sierra.

Sierra knew it wasn't nothing. She could feel the angry pricks of anger and the underlying sadness. There was definitely something bothering Rose.

"You and I both know it's not nothing. It's okay to talk to me. I want to know how you feel," Sierra insisted gently.

"But you already know how I feel," Rose sniffled. Her voice sad.

"You know I don't pry with my magic." Sierra sat patiently, curling some of Rose's dark hair away from her face. "What is on your mind, my love. I promise I won't be mad if you share."

Rose finally turned her attention back to her mom.

"We're really happy now," she breathed puffing out her little chest. "But what if it won't last?"

Sierra couldn't help the small squeeze of her hand against' Rose's leg. "Why do you think it won't last?"

"I dunno," Rose shrugged and sniffled again.

"Does it have to do with when we were living in Vel Anir?" Sierra asked quietly.

Rose stared at her mom and gave one swift nod. Tears welling in her blue eyes. Sierra quickly sat on the edge of the bed and gathered Rose onto her lap and into her arms. Rose's little arms wrapped around Sierra's neck and she held tightly as she cried against her.

Sierra didn't try to shush her or quiet her. She just held her gently, letting Rose cry it out.

Gentle strokes through Rose's hair. Rose had always been so calm and collected in Vel Anir. All the times she'd had to leave her and go away. But she realized now that Rose felt safe, perhaps truly safe for the first time, she was letting some pent up feelings and emotions out.

"Rose, Cillian and I are going to stay together. You're safe here."

Rose's sobs started to quiet. Very slowly. Until she was left sniffling.

"What if something happens to him or to you? What if you have to go away again?"

Sierra shifted Rose so she could cradle her. Look down into her teary-eyed face. "There will always be someone to look out for you. Always. But I am not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. And neither is Cillian. We love you, Rose."

She slowly nodded, quieting down.