Private Tales Sierra's Storytime

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Daisy found she regretted the amount of breakfast she'd eaten this morning. Hopefully she could keep it down. Storm lead the way and gave a swift bow as he entered, presenting Daisy to the Hunter King. He still looked as terrifying as he did last night. A new set of lavish clothes. His hair still long and luxurious. That dark, deadly look still in his eyes with the antler crown atop his head."

"He lounged casually in his throne, a golden goblet in one hand. Her surveyed Daisy with coldness."

"And he let her fidget in front of him for a very long time. She didn't dare look him in the eye for too long. And even as she looked at her scuffed up boots she couldn't help the feeling of his gaze searing into her. As if he could see every inch of her soul and found it...lacking."

"So, his cold voice held an edge of boredom to it. What will you try to entertain me with today, Treaty Breaker? He asked as he examined his pristine nails."

"Daisy looked up and knew she had to say something. Come up with something soon."

"She certainly didn't want to face Baba Yaga. Or fight a dragon. I can sing, she finally declared and cringed. Not the best thing she could've offered but it was better than the former two."

"The Hunter King's dark brows lifted upon his pale skin. A cruel smile curled on his lips. A wave of his hand. Very well, he intoned. The room is yours."

"Daisy imagined if the Hunter King's smile could grow crueler and darker, it did."

"She stepped closer to the Hunter King but stopped far enough away that she felt the illusion of safety. Throat cleared and her lips parted as she began a slow and eerie tune. Daisy knew her voice wasn't particularly special. She could keep in tune for the most part. But it wasn't beautiful like one of her brother's. Her oldest brother had a real gift with singing."

"Something she'd never inherited, herself."

"Daisy's eerie tune filled up the throne room:

Down they fell like the children of Eden
Down they fell like the tower
As the land relinquished her ghost
Heed the sirens, take shelter, my lover

Flee the fire that devours
But the sight held me fixed
Like a bayonet against my throat
Neither plague or famine tempered my courage..."

"Nor did raids make me cower
But his translucent skin
Made me shiver deep within my bones"

"It was a pale white horse"

"With a crooked smile"

"And I knew it was my time"

"It was the raging storm
Of a foreign war"

"And a face I'd seen before."

"Daisy continued to song, uninterrupted and as she finished, she saw the Hunter King's smile was wiped off his face."

"He looked...angry. And like he was looking at something beyond her. It made her turn and she realized she'd gathered an audience in the open throne room doors. Many crowded in. Some face she recognized from earlier and many she didn't."

"The Hunter King finally snapped his gaze back to her as she turned. Try something else, he commanded. Another tune. One less...melancholy, a wave of his hand as if he dismissed her."

"The next song made her think of Baba Yaga. Daisy tried to ignore those who were still gathered behind her. She knew they were watching and listening. She closed her eyes, trying to remember the song her brother had taught her so long ago. Then began."

"He said to me,
Child, I'm afraid for your soul
These things that you're after, they can't be controlled
This beast that you're after will eat you alive
And spit out your bones"

"She'll string you along and she'll sell you a lie
But there's nothing but pain on the edge of a knife
There is no courage in flirting with fear
To prove you're alive"

"I've seen the true face of the things you call life
The voice of the siren that holds your desires
But death, she is cunning, and clever as hell
And she'll eat you alive"

"Daisy took a breath and finished the final verse..."

"Oh, she'll eat you alive."

"Another song, the Hunter King commanded barely one second after her voice stopped echoing in the chambers. Daisy shifted on one foot to the other, unsure on which one to do next. Her mind raced, trying to remember tunes and lyrics. Taking one slow, deep breath, she began again."

"We were born in the valley of the dead and the wicked
That our father's father found
And where we laid him down"

"We were born in the shadow of the crimes of our fathers
Blood was our inheritance
No, we did not ask for this..."

"Will you lead me?"

"We were young when we heard you call our names in the silence
Like a fire in the dark
Like a sword upon our hearts
We came down to the water and we begged for forgiveness
Shadows lurking close behind
We were fleeing for our lives"

"Will you lead me?"

"Daisy stopped, finished with the third song. Again, silence echoed in the throne room. The Hunter King seemed to see her for the first time. Consider her for the first time."

"Daisy waited, unsure of what to do now. Probably best not to speak or interrupt the Hunter King's thoughts."

"The Hunter King finally spoke. You have failed, his voice rumbled."

"What? Daisy was stunned. She couldn't help the question. Why had he asked for so many songs? She thought that perhaps it had worked. With all those watching behind her. She kept herself from turning around and seeing if they were still there."

"Did I stutter? The Hunter King sneered. You are dismissed until I summon you tomorrow. He snapped his fingers and Storm was at her side. A touch at her elbow."

"Daisy turned and saw the back of the throne room had cleared out. She quickly followed next to Storm as they left."

"I don't understand, she finally dared to ask him as they were well away from the throne room."

"Storm grimaced as he stopped with her outside a library. He motioned them inside and took her behind one of the back stacks. There were shelves and shelves of ancient texts and scrolls. The scent made her think of her middle brother. He always loved to read and had so many books scattered around and under his bed."

"Daisy's heart twisted, becoming homesick once again as she thought of him."

"You didn't, Storm said breaking the silence between them."

"He clarified further. Do anything wrong. Not from what I could see and hear."

"Then why...Daisy's voice trailed off."

"Storm shook his head and said. I do not know. Come, let me show you something. With that, he turned on his heel and strode from the little library they'd ducked into. He led her through several other corridors and staircases until they ended in a room that held a bunch of steaming water."

"Terracotta tiles paved the place. Stone steps led into the water. And colored mosaic tiles lined the edge."

"What is it, Daisy couldn't help but ask. She'd never seen anything like it."

"Storm chuckled. Actually chuckled. It caught Daisy by surprise and she openly gawked at him. He cleared his throat and his face became serious though amusement still shown in his dark-blue eyes."

"It's a pool. Or a large bath, Storm finally said. The water is warmed by magic. An ancient spell that came with the castle. The water is also spelled to remain clean. Since you said you were cold last night. Storm's voice trailed off."

"Oh, Daisy said. I thought you were going to lock me back in the tower. I mean, not that I want to!"

"Storm shook his head and for a moment his mouth quirked. There is nowhere for you to go anymore."

"Daisy had to wonder what that meant but didn't say anything for the moment."

"You are free to wander the castle and the grounds. Until you are summoned tomorrow. Do not try to run or climb out. There is no way out. And only trouble and pain will find you if you do try something. Do you understand me?"

"Daisy swallowed and nodded. It didn't mean she wouldn't investigate further. Or see what he was talking about. No, she had a lot of investigation and exploration to do. If she ever got a chance.

"You may swim and bath here. I will wait outside, Storm said."

"Daisy looked down at her dirty clothes. But I have nothing else to wear, she bemoaned."

"Storm looked at her and shook his head. That will be taken care of, he insisted. Giving her an encouraging nod, he slipped from the doors and closed them."

"Daisy felt strange being alone in a large room clearly meant for multiple people in the wide pools. The water was a clear, pale blue and that constand lazy rise of steam above the surface. The room itself felt so warm and she was grateful for it."

"Perhaps the first time since arriving that she truly felt almost...hot. Shelves lined the walls and there she found a bunch of folded light grey fluffy towels. She grabbed one and then looked around one last time before taking off her dirty clothes and moving them to the side."

"It was one of her favorite dresses her mother had sewn. But she tried not to think about that. Of home or her brothers. How she missed hearing their voices and their shouts. Their playful wrestling matches and arguing. Her mother getting after them to behave."

"Sighing, Daisy approached the set of stone steps that led into the large pool. One after the other, she stepped into the warm water."

“The comfort of the warm water enveloping her caused an audible sigh to leave her lips. She sunk further, finding she could still touch comfortable at this end of the pool. Daisy glanced around one last time to make sure she was alone and dipped back into her back. Floating to look at the ceiling.”

“What she saw made her marvel. It was the night sky. With some sort of magic that caused the stars to twinkle and zip across the ceiling. It was beautiful.”

“Daisy found herself lazily floating in that warm water for sometime. Mildly content for the first time being. For being a prisoner. She supposed it could be going a lot worse. She could’ve been locked in that cold tower the entire time.”

“With no breakfast. No food. Or no baths. This place wasn’t how she imagined it would be. The Hunter King was. But everyone else?”

“They weren’t exactly warm and inviting. Least of all Storm. But there was something about them. Almost like they wanted her to succeed?”

“Daisy continued to float until she kicked her legs back under. Taking a breath, she dipped beneath the surface. Keeping her eyes closed, she waited until her lungs burned before she surfaced.”

“Daisy was still alone as she looked around. But she noticed there were some clean clothes laid out. A soft pair of leggings and a tunic. A belt and even some new shoes. How they’d arrived she had no idea.”

“Hello? She called out into the steam. Just in case anyone answered. But there was nothing.”