Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Seteta smiled slightly behind her veil at Rheinhard's response. Thank you for looking after her, she told him genuinely, though with a hint of amusement coloring her thoughts. But if you don't want to come back to Auction, it's alright to say so as well. I... think Chaceledon and I can handle anything Persian throws at us. If you need anything, before we get back, let me know.

Her eyes sparkled with amusement for a moment as Persian said he could have more gargoyles carved. "Did Oor tell you I turned his gargoyles against him? Well, at least the ones in Chaceledon's room."

While it was a far cry to say that she'd enjoyed any of her time in Witherhold, that particular memory would always make her smile. Everything that Oor commanded with fear, she had stolen with love. She glanced at Chaceledon, her eyes softening, and she reached for his hand again to twine her fingers through his.

She looked back to the stage as Persian and Chaceledon spoke of Amphetrion, as her lover expressed the shock she'd already felt at realizing Amphetrion's age, and her smile faded away as Persian mentioned his traps. Her hand tensed briefly in Chaceledon's, and her eyes hid sadness in their depths when she looked back at Dreylene.

He's created a whole sub-tribe of Inizae who only believe they have worth because of their skill and usefulness, not because they are persons worthy of dignity and respect.

Persian's question interrupted her musings.

“Would you like to meet him after all is said and done?”

"Yes," she said quietly. "I would."

Chaceledon

Rheinhard was quiet. He didn’t like Auction. So many of his ancestors had come from Auction, or arranged through Auction. It was a double edged sword in a way; one could win fame and fortune, and win ones freedom with a king’s ransom. Or one could end up in the Dregs as food. Either way, the house always won.

Chaceledon bid hard on the first Inizae to come to the stage, but bidding was so quick and feverish it was hard to keep up. The man’s talent didn’t even seem to matter. He was Inizae, and of Persian’s lines, and that was all that seemed to be in people’s thoughts. Chaceledon lost the first lot. There were a few others he looked at, and he picked up the chef he wanted for a song after her descriptions of recipes failed to impress. He wasn’t buying her for her poetry.

Chaceledon did perk up when Hassani glided out onto the stage. He performed a small song with his crystal bowls, that thankfully stymied the hordes of bidders champing at the bit. Chaceledon bid harshly for him. He had loved Hassani’s songs.

Persian stood with a smile, and went to plant his palm on the window. Amphetrion, despite his age caught the gesture and waggled an ancient hand at the bidders impatiently.

“Over!” He called out simply, with the echoes of half a dozen translators, and equally colorful curses, following.

Hassani stared at Amphetrion and drew away from him. The older Inizae gestured impatiently. “Come here lad.” He tutted. With a few artful touches, Amphetrion pulled Hassani’s collar free of his throat, and handed it to him. “Now then, as the rules dictate you have three days in Pedeo to get your affairs in order. You’re protected under the registry for those three days, lad. After that? You’re a free man.”

Hassani looked dazed. “But…I…”

“Off with you now. I’d get a good tug of gin to calm your nerves now you can drink.” Amphetrion said impatiently, but not unkindly, and shooed him down from the stage. Hassani was sharply treated as though he didn’t exist. He wasn’t a pet anymore. Just another face in the crowd.

Chaceledon settled back into the couch with a curse.

“Try not to look too disappointed. I’d say 50,000 gold pieces is a decent start to a new life if he’s clever.” Persian commented. “Either way, he still has my protection for a bit longer before his feet touch sand.”

Seteta

Seteta watched the auction quietly, examining the faces of each Inizae as they were brought forward, memorizing their names. Chaceledon had shown them to her in the cards, but portraits were not the same as actually seeing someone's face. She might never again see them after this day, but she would remember them, and bring their names before Abtatu for protection.

She listened as Chaceledon made his bids, glad he was able to get the chef he wanted, smiling when he perked up as Hassani came on stage. His songs suitably impressed the crowd, and a frenzied bid war followed. When Persian stood and gave the signal to Amphetrion, the bidding abruptly halted.

Seteta straightened in her seat, watching the exchange closely as Hassani was set free, remembering the words he'd said to her in the gem market. Oh, he hadn't said it explicitly, but he'd basically implied that being Persian's pet was better than being free, and she wondered now how he would cope.

Rheinhard? she reached out again. If the girl is stable, can you see if you can find Carnelia or Gharnir? Tell them to look for a newly-freed Abtati named Hassani. Unless you come across him yourself. He's Inizae.

While waiting for Rheinhard's response, Seteta turned to look at Persian.

"Rheinhard told me yesterday that you usually slaughter the Inizae who are over-bid at auction," she said. "Why have you decided to set him free instead?"

Chaceledon

Persian shrugged. “Call it an experiment. My Inizae have been sheltered, as much as I hate to admit it, and I’ve closely managed their relationships with the earth. What would happen if one of them had his connection quite suddenly restored, as though he’d never been in my possession? What happens when a man who’s never felt sand under his feet feels Arethil itself? It’s a curiosity of mine.” He said. “If it turns badly, I’ll put him out of his misery.”

Chaceledon frowned at him. “Youre turning him loose on a whim?”

“I’ve bred, clothed, fed, and educated him. He’s more fully functioning than he would be amongst his own kind. He speaks three languages, knows more about Crystal quality than most mining barons, and has a new fortune under his belt. I have more faith in him. A few days to let the shock wear off and the rest is mere adjustment. The least he could do in return is answer a question for me.” Persian pointed out. “I know Hassani. I’d hope he’s strong enough to withstand it.”

I will do my best to find the dragons. The woman I can keep somewhat stable. Nestor has guided me to give her something to keep her from vomiting. Rheinhard noted. Mild concern came down the bond. What exactly was going on?

The bidding resumed, and Chaceledon purchased two of the Inizae he’d had his heart set on. Thankfully, the Alta segment was a short one. Most of the bidders moved on to the Mezzanine or Dregs by the time the final pet had made her stand. When it concluded, Amphetrion took the stand once more to thank the crowd, shut the book, and handed it to a pair of guards at the end of the stage.

“Well then. I’ll have yours sent to the Lion House.” Persian smiled at Chaceledon. “Shall I take the funds out of your account here?”

The dragon nodded, glad to be done with the affair. He stood. “I believe Seteta wanted to meet your librarian.”

Persian nodded. “We can catch up with him easily. He doesn’t move very fast anymore.” He said with a sad smile. Indeed, when they hit the paving stones once more, Amphetrion was just navigating the stairs down from the stage.

Seteta

The Oldest Inizae
"A curiosity," Seteta repeated, the disgust evident in her voice. "Of course."

As Persian continued to speak, though, she felt rage heating within in, and eventually she snapped.

"More fully functioning?" she bit out, twisting on the sofa to face the fae. "He knows three languages, but none of them are his native tongue: the one he would need most to communicate in the desert. He knows crystal quality, but does he know how to find water that won't poison him? How to hunt and forage, and avoid venomous creatures? How to find an oasis?

"Though he won't have to worry about those for long," she spat. "Every person here now knows his face, and that he's carrying a fortune in coin on his person. As soon as you push him out of the city, he has a target on his back. He won't have to worry about the desert if the bandits get him first!"

She turned away then with a huff as Rheinhard reached out over the bond. The gargoyle was no longer lounged at her feet, but had sat up, muscles tensed and eyes fixed on Persian, ready to leap if the stone creature felt its mistress was under any actual threat.

I will do my best to find the dragons. The woman I can keep somewhat stable. Nestor has guided me to give her something to keep her from vomiting. Rheinhard noted. Mild concern came down the bond. What exactly was going on?

Thank you, Seteta answered back as she reached out to soothe the stone lion. We're not in any danger. I'm just angry. Persian has played with lives for too long.

Hassani will not know what to do with himself,
she continued. Chaceledon and I met him in the gem market the other day. He's convinced that life in Pedeo as a pet is better than any other life he could possibly lead, and I'm concerned that even the idea of freedom will make him... do something reckless.

She didn't look at Persian again as the bidding continued, wholly ignoring him. She was relieved when Chaceledon was able to get a couple more of the Inizae, and she continued to watch over the remaining as they were sent to their fates.

She stood and stretched as Persian and Chaceledon finished their business, the lion doing the same a moment later. She remained silent as they descended the golden staircase, stepping around the two men as they neared the stage.

Seteta reached up and loosened her headscarf as she approached the steps, lowering the veil from her face.

"Amit!" she called up to Amphetrion in Abtat as she ascended the steps beside the stage, using a term of respect for an elder. "I will lend you my arm on the way down."

If he was as old as Persian claimed, was truly the first of the Inizae he'd brought here, then he would know Abtat. She used the older dialect that the Inizae spoke, the one carefully preserved in their religious rituals, knowing it was more likely to be the one that Amphetrion spoke in his youth.

She reached him quickly, not giving him the opportunity to deny her offered aid as she grasped his hand and tucked his arm through her elbow.

"I have not heard that language in many lifetimes," Amphetrion said slowly, waveringly, as Seteta very, very carefully helped him down each step until they stood on solid ground.

"Do you remember how to speak it?" Seteta asked, turning to face him and making sure she was near enough to see her face despite his failing eyesight.

Amphetrion, though, did not answer, and she realized that his face had paled as he gazed at her.

"Amphetrion?" she asked quietly, reaching out in case she needed to steady him.

"You're not supposed to be here!" Amphetrion began to speak again, his words spilling forth faster than she had expected him to be able to speak, and with such fluency in the ancient dialect she'd used before that she could barely keep up.

"Nailah," Amphetrion reached out with a shaking hand to stroke her cheek. "You are too important to be here."

Nailah?
Seteta thought the name seemed... familiar, like something she'd heard in a story once, but she couldn't recall which one at the moment.

"I am not Nailah," she answered, but she did not push away his hand. "My name is Seteta."

"You must be Nailah!"
Amphetrion insisted. "If not, you are a spirit who has stolen her face! But... you are not a spirit." His fingers twitched against her face. "You are warm flesh and blood."

He stumbled then--or she thought he stumbled--and she reached forward to steady him, but he pushed her hands away, and she realized that... he was kneeling.

"Perati, forgive me!" Amphetrion cried brokenly as he leaned forward, prostrating himself on the ground.

Perati? The ancient pharaohs?

And then, for a moment, Seteta couldn't breathe. She forgot about Persian and Chaceledon. That she was standing in the midst of Pedeo.

As she remembered where she knew the name Nailah from.

From a scroll she'd found in her mother's things once, as a child. A very, very long scroll, one she'd unrolled out of curiosity, and discovered it was many times her own height in length, and incredibly delicate. The ink at the far end of the scroll was faded, almost to the point of being unreadable, but she'd managed. And she'd recognized names at the end with fresher, bolder ink. Her own name, her mother's name, her grandmother's name.

And at the very top of the scroll, barely legible at all, it had read The Record of the Descendants of Perati Nailah.

At the time, she had not understood. And then she had forgotten.

Was it then? she wondered. When I started pretending that I was a princess, when I was playing make-believe?

Seteta forced herself to take a deep breath, let the scent of Pedeo bring her back from the memory.

Amphetrion still knelt before her, head pressed low to the ground, trembling.

She'd heard of human elders whose minds began to break with age, where they seemed to live in the past again for moment of time. She'd never heard of it afflicting an elf, but an elf had never lived this long that she knew of.

So, for a moment of time, she would be Nailah.

She knelt before Amphetrion on the ground, and gently rested her hand on his head.
"What have you done that needs my forgiveness?" she asked gently.

"I could not obey your order to wait for your return," he sobbed. "It was too dangerous. He would have taken you, as well."

Him. Seteta suppressed a shudder, realizing Amphetrion likely meant Persian.

"Is that all?" she whispered then, almost choking on her words as her voice became thick with tears. "Then simply stand up, and my forgiveness is yours."

Seteta almost collapsed with relief as Amphetrion groaned, his arms shaking as he began to lift himself back up, and she steadied him again as best she could. When he was on his feet again, she looked away for a moment, wiping the tears from her face.

But when she looked back again, Amphetrion was resettling his glasses back in place, and squinting at her.

"Oh hello!" he said with a smile. "Do I know you? Has anyone told you that you look like my Nailah?"

And it seemed that the moment had passed.

"Yes," Seteta smiled, offering him her arm again, and slowly leading him over to Chaceledon and Persian. "I have heard it."

Chaceledon

“He will be fine, Seteta. I’ll have a guide take him to Maraan, or Ragash if he wishes.” Persian said dismissively. “Despite what you may think of me I don’t want him to die.” He shook his head a bit. Seteta hated him, clearly, but she was young. She hadn’t yet had to mature the way young fae did…she was still so idealistic. “Dont be ridiculous. I didn’t spend decades training these men to let them die of thirst in the desert. I do actually like some of them.”

Chaceledon watched Hassani for a moment as the bidding closed. The poor elf looked so lost holding his collar. He tried to put it back on, once, but the clasp refused to hold. It just fell back into his hands again. The dragon hoped he would be alright. Hassani was a gifted singer. Hopefully he would land on his feet.

He was far more concerned about Seteta meeting Amphetrion. He knew snatches of old Abtat, admittedly just curse words and phrases. He stared when the old man fell to his knees. What in the gods’ name had she said to him?! Seteta’s cheeks were wet with tears and Chaceledon didn’t know what to think. He kept his distance, confused, but not wanting to interrupt the intimate conversation.

Persian didnt wait for her to lead his old pet to her. “Amphetrion what on earth?” He gently took the old man’s arm. “Are you alright?” He dusted off Amphetrion’s knees, tutting. The man was too old to be collapsing to a steel floor like that! He made a mental note to have him checked over later. Nailah. He raised an eyebrow at Seteta. “The pharaoh Nailah?” He asked curiously. “I wonder what made him think of that.”

“Ah, yes. I thought she looked like her.” Amphetrion smiled, a bit confused. “It’ll take more than a fall on this old floor to wound me…don’t worry so.” He patted Persian’s arm affectionately. “Must’ve been the day. So much excitement.”

“Must have.” Persian wasn’t looking at the old man, but Seteta.

“You really should come see the library, dear. I know you, ah, young people dont appreciate things like that, but Persian does have an impressive collection of Abtati.” Amphetrion said with a smile. “Good evening to you.”

“Koiros?” Chaceledon probed. He looked worried.

Seteta

Seteta let Persian take Amphetrion's side. Regardless of how she felt about the fae, Pedeo had been Amphetrion's home now for most of his life. He was ancient, and clearly his mind was beginning to give way to his age, and she would not disturb his peace. Not intentionally.

"He didn't fall," Seteta murmured as Persian dusted off his knees. "He knelt. But he perhaps did so a little more forcefully than a man with younger knees would have."

When Persian stood upright again, cocking an eyebrow at her as the discussion turned to Nailah, she fell silent again. She... didn't really understand what had happened either, and Persian was not the one she wanted to sort her thoughts out with.

Amphetrion was smiling at her again a moment later, though, and she bowed her head respectfully. "Thank you for the invitation, amit," she said. "If there is time, I will come by."

“Koiros?” Chaceledon probed. He looked worried.

"Not here," Seteta answered as she returned to his side. "Let's go back to the house. We need to check on things there anyway."

Chaceledon

Persian eyed her a moment. The name Nailah piqued his interest. He’d heard it before, somewhere. “I’ll help you back.” Persian volunteered. It seemed like he had some digging to do in the library.

“Oh stop fussing.” Amphetrion tutted at him. “You’ll miss your own party. Go on.” The old elf straightened and fixed Persian’s clothing a moment. “I really wish you would find a suit..”

“I thought that’s why I built the place. So I wouldn’t have to wear suits.” Persian joked. “You make a good point. Chaceledon? Seteta? Care to join me?”

Chaceledon glanced at his fiancé. “I think we’ll take the evening to ourselves.” he said politely. “It was good seeing you, as always. As soon as I get a shop opened, I’ll be sending you a letter.”

Persian nodded. “As you should. I look forward to seeing you attend next year.”

Chaceledon wrapped an arm around Seteta’s shoulders comfortingly. He didn’t want to go back to the house. Not quite yet. As evening began to rule, the crowds in the streets dispersed to restaurants and bars. More notably, those who could afford to do so would gather in the Centre Wheel for Persian’s private party closing the events of Auction. Chaceledon steered them more toward the park, and somewhere quiet they could talk. Thankfully, the lanes of small trees, grass lawns, and manicured rose bushes was empty.

“What happened?” Chaceledon asked gently. “I’ve never seen him act like that. The man doesn’t blink an eye watching people get cut up all evening, and he sees you and drops to his knees?”

Seteta

It was disconcerting to see Amphetrion weeping, begging for her--Nailah's--forgiveness one moment, and then to see him doting on Persian the next. Nailah... her thoughts wandered for several moments as she tried to recall things from her childhood. Whispered discussions overheard through the walls of the tent when she was long supposed to have been asleep. Stories of the ancient pharaohs, many so obscure they no longer knew the details, but just an echo of the history.

What have I forgotten? she wondered. And what was I never told, like I was never told of Persian until Supti learned I'd encountered him?

She gnawed gently at her lip, and was startled by Chaceledon's arm wrapping around her shoulder.

"Oh..." she whispered, looking up and realizing that Persian and Amphetrion were leaving. She nodded to them, then fixed her headscarf, but she left her face uncovered. As Chaceledon led her away, the gargoyle returned to her side, and she let her hand rest on its mane, taking comfort in the feel of the stone.

"I miss the earth," she whispered softly as he took her into the park, sighing as she realized they weren't going back to the house yet. "I miss the sand."

“What happened?” Chaceledon asked gently. “I’ve never seen him act like that. The man doesn’t blink an eye watching people get cut up all evening, and he sees you and drops to his knees?”

"I don't know," Seteta said, her free hand rising, and she gently bit at a knuckle. "He saw my face, and started calling by another name. I think... I think I look like someone he used to know. Someone from... before Persian. Someone he had to break a promise to. He... was begging for forgiveness."

She stopped in her tracks, the thoughts and possibilities becoming overwhelming, and she crouched down, cradling her head in her hands. The gargoyle nudged her shoulder with its muzzle.

"There's too much I don't know," she whispered in frustration, fingers tugging anxiously at the edges of her scarf. She swore under her breath, then stood up again, and began to pace nervously back and forth on the little section of path. "I need to speak with mut. But that will takes days... if not weeks."

Then a thought occurred to her, and she paused, looking back up at Chaceledon. "Nestor! Or one of the others... would one of them be familiar with Abtati history? From before when you were with Oor?"

And then she paled slightly, and swore again.

"I sent Rheinhard to find your sister," she gasped. "Or Hassani. Whichever he encountered first. I have no idea if he's back at the house yet. If anyone is. The poor girl from your estate... Rheinhard said Nestor helped him get the girl stable, and make sure she wouldn't vomit, but if she wakes up all alone in a strange house..."

Chaceledon

Chaceledon couldn’t do much more than listen, but he already knew they needed out of Pedeo. Rheinhard and Seteta hated it here. She had no connection to the earth and the sands, and Rheinhard was just waiting for Persian to betray them. Chaceledon actually liked Pedeo; much as they might hate to admit it was a technical marvel the likes of which Arethil hadn’t seen before or would ever. Persian had treated it like business…and like business, there was little point in looking back. He couldn’t change the past any more than Seteta could, so he looked forward.

That was cold comfort to his poor fiancé anguishing on the cobblestones. He intercepted her and took her hand. “Then let’s go find your mut. I can fly now. It won’t take as long as you think. My pets can stay here at the Lion House then make the journey to the estate when it’s time. Rheinhard knows how to survive in the desert, and so do you. We can find her, and get answers.” he smiled crookedly. “It might also be wise to introduce them to your fiancé and adoptive son.”

He drew her in close for an embrace. “Be in the Well while we fly for a bit. Talk to the remnants. Nestor wouldn’t know; he always dismissed the Abtati as ignorant. There are a few others who might but you’d have to ask them.”

Seteta

Despite her frustration, Seteta couldn't help but smile as Chaceledon stepped into her path and caught her hand in his. As he spoke, she reached up and rested her hand on his chest, then sighed when he drew her closer and wrapped his arms around her.

When he finished speaking, she reached up and tugged him down for a kiss.

"It's been over half a year since I last saw my mother," she said when their lips parted. "She and mit hadn't decided which tribe to join with yet after we disbanded when I set out on my own. I have a way to call her, and others of the Inizae, to a pre-arranged meeting spot, but it could take weeks for them to arrive, depending on where they are."

She sighed again, this time rather heavily, and pushed away the burden in her mind of what Amphetrion had revealed earlier.

"Your estate is more urgent," Seteta said. "Depending on where it is, we might be able to do both at the same time, anyway."

Seteta leaned forward into him again for a moment before pulling out of his embrace. "Let's go check on our family here, sehejib," she said. "It's late in the day, and you've only just reunited with your sister. We can spare another night, at the least."

Chaceledon

A Shelter for Pets
He was comforted by the soft feel of her lips pressing against his. He leaned in a bit to put his forehead against hers, speaking softly. “We can call them then, because I am going home. We are going home. I haven’t seen my estate in so long…I hope it still stands.” he whispered. She was right about their family here. They needed to head back to the Lion House.

Said House, it seemed, had gotten a bit crowded. Chaceledon stepped through the door and almost stepped on three people on litters in the foyer. They were insensate with the drugs from the Dregs, and could barely shift away from his accidental stumbling. “What the devil?!” Chaceledon cursed and lifted Seteta up over the small roadblock, looking around. There were three on the stairs, sipping water uneasily and looking frightened. Two more on the hallway benches. One sobbing miserably in the kitchen into a glass of wine Chaceledon sharply relieved him of.

“Is this my Chablis? Rheinhard!” He roared. Where was he? He downed the glass angrily and set it back on the counter, storming into the garden. There were two pets quietly talking on the lawn that, being far too tall, he almost ran over. “How many of you are there?! Rheinhard!”

Rheinhard turned out to be upstairs in his room, laying a cool cloth on the forehead of the pet Chaceledon had bought. Carnelia peeked out the window. “Oh dear, he’s found the ones in the garden. Do you think we went a bit overboard?”

“Never.” Her husband gave her a wry smirk and handed Rheinhard a poultice. “That ought to curb some of the headache, put it under her tongue.”

Seteta

"Surely it does," Seteta answered. "The pet in Maraan didn't seem that old. If she'd only recently been sold, then surely your estate is still intact for the most part."

When they returned to the Lion House, Seteta sent the stone lion back to its place guarding the door with the other, then stepped inside with Chaceledon.

To, apparently, chaos.

As Chaceledon swore, and easily lifted her off her feet to keep her from tripping over the recovering pets, she quietly tugged at the bond to see where Rheinhard was. Upstairs, it seemed, in his room.

So while Chaceledon was busy stealing wine and shouting for Rheinhard, Seteta quietly slipped up the stairs--past the pets sitting on them--to Rheinhard's room, surprised to find not just him and the draconian pet, but also Carnelia and Gharnir there as well.

Carnelia peeked out the window. “Oh dear, he’s found the ones in the garden. Do you think we went a bit overboard?”

“Never.” Her husband gave her a wry smirk and handed Rheinhard a poultice. “That ought to curb some of the headache, put it under her tongue.”

"If this is too much," Seteta laughed, "then Chaceledon will have to redefine his own definition of 'overboard.'"

She nodded toward the girl on the bed. "How is she?" she asked, then turned looked to both Carnelia and Rheinhard. "And did anyone manage to find Hassani?"

Chaceledon

Carnelia sighed and turned away from the window, where Chaceledon seemed intent on herding people off the lawn. “I really should have warned him, but what could I say? These people have nowhere else to go. They’re off the registry, have no protections beyond these three days, and they’ve got to learn to be their own people. Oh, the captured ones just need some adjustment but they’ve at least got family to go back to. There are people here who have never stepped outside of these walls. All their friends and family are here.” Carnelia shrugged. “Hassani is in the parlour. He seems very lost, but I’m glad you sent Rheinhard to get him. I’m afraid he had to chase him a bit; poor thing thought he was going to be hunted down. You do have a bit of a reputation, dear.” She tutted at Rheinhard.

“He made an assumption.” Rheinhard said dismissively. “She is fine. Stable. The drug isn’t fatal, but it does hit fairly hard.” He gently lifted the girl’s chin to examine the scales on her throat.

“Gifts from dragons. When we fight, it helps make sure servants aren’t caught in the crossfire. You can see it from the air.” Gharnir explained. Rheinhard nodded and released her. It made sense, flashing ones throat and colors at the sky for mercy. A dragon could see it from quite a distance.

Seteta

Seteta shrugged as Carnelia spoke. "There's plenty of room here for them, and I'll get Chaceledom through the momentary shock of having to share the house. It can't be any worse than the parties he's told me about."

When she heard that Rheinhard had needed to chase down Hassani, though, she grimaced. "I probably should have told you to mention my name," she said apologetically, turning to Rheinhard. "I... forget sometimes, what your reputation is like."

She nodded quietly when Gharnir explained about the scales. Seteta had figured it was a mark of identification, but hadn't thought about dragons fighting with each other.

"I'll go make sure Chaceledon isn't actually chasing them off or threatening to eat them all," she said a moment later. "And check on Hassani. And I suppose we should start finding blankets and pillows for everyone."

She was a little surprised that Rheinhard had put the girl in his own bed, but if she was stable, there was no reason for him to have to give up his room for the night.

With a smile and a nod to the three conscious people in the room, Seteta left the room and headed out to the garden.

"Sehejib?" she called softly. "Are you finished yet?"

Chaceledon

“Oh I think he’s just upset that it isn’t actually a party but rather displaced former slaves.” Carnelia smiled sadly. “Don’t worry, we’ll be gone soon. It doesn’t take too much to carry them, thankfully. We just wanted the extra few days here to get them on their feet. They do have to actually hang on where we’re going. It isn’t all that safe to fly above the sand sea with so many. They get burnt to a crisp in the sun, poor things.”

Chaceledon had herded the pets into the kitchen, and was begrudgingly giving them water out of cups. Gods help him, not the crystal he’d caught the wine-thief drinking from earlier. He was frowning at them like a disappointed mother as they swilled water and cried. A few sour-faced slaves were watching his every move. Those were the ones not born here, he could tell that in a heartbeat. They were either wondering how easy it would be to cut his throat and steal everything not nailed down, or debating fleeing from the house that very instant.

“Now just….sit here. Drink water.” Chaceledon mumbled at them and went outside to grab Seteta. “I’m guessing Carnelia and Gharnir’s hospitality?” He sighed and messed with his hair, glancing back at the kitchen. “Rheinhard will probably want to sleep outside tonight. He doesn’t like crowded spots and places he can’t defend himself.”

He supposed he should be grateful that his brother in law and sister were doing so much to help the slaves. At the moment, it felt a bit like someone had adopted an entire brace of hounds without his consent. “How is the pet? The one with Hokkaido’s scales on her throat? The sooner we can get her, and me, home…the better. And you need to speak to your mother.”

Seteta

"Having access to the Lion House probably allowed them to acquire more of the pets than they usually do," Seteta mused as she reached for Chaceledon's hands when he finally lowered them from his hair, gently rubbing her thumbs over his wrists. "I was surprised that Rheinhard gave his bed to the girl."

Seteta stepped closer, resting her head against Chaceledon's chest and wrapping her arms around his waist. "I don't know if she's aware of anything going around her or not," she said. "But Rheinhard said she's stable, so she probably just needs time for the drug to finish working through her system."

She sighed, content for a quiet moment in her lover's arms, listening to his heartbeat. Her eyes fell closed. She was weary, but not physically. She wanted nothing more than a quiet evening with Chaceledon, but her mind wouldn't stop whirling with... everything. The encounter with Amphetrion. The need to see her mother. The realization that she was incredibly homesick for her family if she let herself think about it. Where everyone was going to sleep that night, and if they had enough blankets. What to feed them all.

She sighed again, this time less contentedly, and buried her face deeper into Chaceledon's chest for just a moment.

"Carnelia said Hassani is in the parlor," Seteta mumbled into his robes. "I... forgot about Rheinhard's reputation here when I asked him to find Hassani. Apparently the poor fellow had a bit of a fright. We should go check on him, and then figure out food and sleeping arrangements for everyone."

She didn't pull away from him yet, though. She needed just a moment longer with the solidity of his presence.

Chaceledon

“Because he doesn’t use it.” Chaceledon chuckled. “He sleeps underneath it. No safer place for her, and you specified that he was to protect her. He doesn’t really take things lightly…ever.” He wrapped his arms around her, toying with her hair. He enjoyed her closeness, inclining his head to kiss her hair. What had he done to deserve such an empathetic partner? She was worried about everyone but herself.

“Everyone will be fine. If I know my sister she’ll have plundered the good bed linens and pillows by now. Diets will be…complicated. Most pets vary by their roles. Protection pets expect meat and heavy things. Bed pets rice gruel with a little sugar or boiled vegetables. That sort of thing. Again…let my sister handle it.” He smirked. “Besides. We’re selling this house, and we did just buy a cook. They can stay as long as they need to. They’re guests in my house.”

Chaceledon tilted her head up with a hand, and pressed his lips to hers. Seteta wasn’t born for this type of life. Not in the city. She needed wind and sand, so much so it was a miracle the Inizae had survived at all in Pedeo. “Let’s find Hassani and check on him. The Volker’s have had a taste for elf flesh since at least Ferenzi. Poor thing’s probably under the nearest cabinet he could squeeze under.” He held her for a few moments longer, then took her hand and led her back into the house.

True to form, Carnelia was in command of the pets. It was easy not to sit down and cry when there was work to be done, and she was busying them with sleeping arrangements. The chef Chaceledon had bought was grouchily making up a gigantic pot of rice and frying vegetables, ignoring any complaints and not hesitating to use a spatula on anyone sneaking off with a glass of wine or rice liquor. He was clearly exhausted, having just come from Auction and not prepared to serve a small army, but true to professional form was doing his best.

Chaceledon made a note to give him a generous house budget on their way to Hassani’s hiding spot.

The elf was sitting on the floor, knees to his chest and head on them, crying pitifully.

Seteta

"Rheinhard sleeps under his bed?" Seteta nearly pulled away from Chaceledon in horror, but the way he was playing with her hair and then the feel of his kiss on the top of her head settled her nerves and she was loathe to give it up.

She listened as he reassured her that Carnelia had everything in hand, though, and she realized with a soft sigh that she was trying to step into a role that no one had asked of her. When Chaceledon tipped her chin up, she returned his kiss, laughing quietly when they parted.

"Guests, hm?" she smiled. "A few moments ago it seemed like they were pests underfoot."

She purred quietly as his arms settled around her again though, and she slid her hands up his chest to rest against his neck, tucked just inside the collar of his shirt.

"About the house," Seteta murmured softly. "What if instead of selling it, you gave it to Carnelia and Gharnir? It seems they could make good use of it."

She shuddered, though, when he mentioned the Volkers' taste for elf-flesh. That was something they would have to discuss before they met up with her tribe.

When he led her back inside, she couldn't help but give the chef a sympathetic glance, but asked him to set aside some meat scraps for the gargoyles, being sure to specify that they did not have to be good quality. Literally the scraps.

Then they were headed for the parlor, and Seteta sighed and frowned as she caught sight of Hassani. Quietly, she sat down next to him on the floor, and reached over to gently rub his back.

"Persian offered to have someone escort you to another city," she said when his sobs had subsided a little. "But I'd like to extend an invitation of my own. Come with me, and meet the Inizae who live outside Pedeo."

Chaceledon

Chaceledon smiled at her. Volker had slept under his bed for a long time. He would likely continue that habit for the foreseeable future. Under the bed was safe, easily defended, and quiet. Chaceledon had never questioned it; it was denning.

He watched Hassani sniffle and rub at his eyes, looking up at her. Chaceledon knew that lost expression. It tugged at his heart; so close to many of the Volkers once they inherited that terrible wound. Hassani shared their eyes; like his world had been shattered.

“I don’t know…” Hassani’s voice had none of the confidence it had only a day prior. “…I’ve never set foot outside of Pedeo.” Three days. That was all he had. Then he would be quietly but insistently herded out of the city. It wouldn’t do having weepy pets hanging around. Hassani touched his throat, curling his fingers there. Hanging fingers off one’s collar was a bad habit Persian usually curbed, but there was no longer anything there to cling to. He dropped his hand.

“I don’t own anything. I can’t pay you to take me to them.”

“It’s an offer, dear. Not a requirement.” Chaceledon said gently.

Hassani swallowed thickly. “And the monster upstairs? I only had the guts to go to the arenas once. He ate a man alive..”

Seteta

Seteta quietly arched a brow when Hassani said he owned nothing, but didn't say anything yet about the fortune he'd acquired at auction. It wasn't what she was interested in.

"All the more reason to come with us," Seteta said gently. "Persian will give you an escort and then leave you on your own wherever you choose to go. If you choose to come with us, then I will make sure that you have the opportunity to learn the desert, and how to survive, and if you wish it, help you get settled into one of the Abtati tribes.

"But life won't be as easy out there as it has been in Pedeo. You will have to develop skills beyond just your singing crystal bowls. I promise, though, that you'll still get to use those talents. You'll get to do what makes your heart soar."

Hassani swallowed thickly. “And the monster upstairs? I only had the guts to go to the arenas once. He ate a man alive..”

Her fingers twitched lightly against Hassani's back, and she frowned, glancing out the parlor door towards the staircase.

"Rheinhard isn't that different from you," Seteta chided gently. "He was born for a specific purpose, and he has done what he had to do to survive, and only recently been given a choice in his own life. And I am sorry that I sent him to retrieve you without thinking of the reputation he carries here."

She took a deep breath, trying to find how to say what she wanted to say without it sounding like a threat.

"As long as you are not--and do not become--a threat to Chaceledon or myself, Rheinhard will not have any reason to wish you harm. You don't have to like him or be friends with him, but you will not call him a monster again, nor will you call him any hurtful names or slurs if you decide to travel with us."

Chaceledon

“I am not like that man in the slightest. I don’t eat people.” Hassani looked a bit taken aback by her veiled threat. No one had ever really threatened him before. Insulted yes, all pets had their petty squabbles. But threatened? Never. He had grown up with the security that to do so bordered on illegal. That had all changed, and he shed the surprise on his face. He had a feeling these threats were going to be happeninf chewed at his lip. “Then I’ll go with you.” He said softly.

“If you don’t fit in among the Inizae you can always find work among dragons. Your pedigree would be an asset, and I enjoyed your stone singing. Other earth-inclined dragons would as well.” Chaceledon suggested. Hassani looked a bit more heartened by the thought of a backup plan. “This house will stay in the care of my sister and brother in law, at least until I make a decision to sell it or gift it, but my fiancé and I, and Rheinhard, are leaving very soon.”

“We’re traveling with him..?” Hassani asked hesitantly.

“Yes. As Seteta said, just don’t give him a reason to kill you and he won’t.” Chaceledon said sternly.

Persian sighed and adjusted his glasses on his nose. Nothing yet. He had been pouring over books in the library for hours, looking for references to the name Amphetrion had babbled. He eyed the old librarian, squinting at his stamp and stamping books that had been recently returned. “Are you sure you don’t remember anything of throwing yourself down before Seteta?” He asked.

“Oh I’m much too old for all that.” Amphetrion said pleasantly. He set his stamp down and slowly made his way over, settling on the reading bench next to Persian. He offered him a bag of lemon drops, from which Persian plucked a sweet and chewed absentmindedly. “It’s, eh, bothering you. I can tell.”

“It is.” Persian shut the book. “Bloodlines and lineage. Something the Inizae and I share interests in. She looked like someone you knew, a long time ago when I captured you.”

“Oh. Well that was quite a long time ago.” Amphetrion agreed, sucking on a lemon drop himself. “I, eh, didn’t expect Hassani’s price to be that low. You didn’t say you were disappointed in him at all.”

“It was on purpose.” Persian muttered. “Call it a gamble.”

Seteta

Seteta wouldn't deny that she was mildly surprised that Hassani actually agreed to go with them, but she just smiled and moved to pat his shoulder reassuringly, then rose and went to stand by Chaceledon's side. She reached for her lover's hand, squeezing it gently when he said that Carnelia and Gharnir would have the house for now.

"Rheinhard is Chaceledon's son, for all intents and purposes," Seteta said when Hassani balked. "Unless he decides to travel separately, just assume that he will be with us."

She sighed again then, and rolled her shoulders, leaning into Chaceledon's side. "It's been a long day for everyone," she said. "Dinner will be available in the kitchen soon, and Carnelia--Chaceledon's sister--will get you settled for the night. It'll be at least a day before we're ready to travel, so we can discuss further plans in the morning."

Then she looked up at Chaceledon, her eyes soft and fond, but tired. "I'm ready to rest now, sehejib."

Chaceledon

The rest of the evening was relatively calm. Carnelia took to gathering the pets together in a larger parlour, getting them cushions and all of Chaceledon’s nice duvets. Most of their pillows were sacrificed to the effort, leaving Chaceledon with only a single fluffy pillow to sleep with. Dinner was served quickly, but it was good and nutritious. The pets ate silently and talked amongst themselves. Chaceledon was proud of his sister; she had effectively simulated a pet house. She’d kept them from wandering, kept them together, and fed them very similarly to how they were raised.

A little bit of home comfort went a long way.

In the morning, Rheinhard was packing for the desert. He was showing Hassani what to wear, sharply refusing flimsy sandals in favor of good soft boots, light linen khaftans, and shalwar. Chaceledon left him to it; Hassani was listening, even if he looked mildly upset that they were dressing so differently.

Carnelia poured him a mug of coffee, smiling cheerily at him. “You were never a morning person.” she joked.

“Understandably.” Chaceledon muttered, sipping. “You two can stay here as long as you like. The three days rule doesn’t apply to guests.”

“Oh I know. Gharnir misses the forests, though. He’s not like us. He needs green. And the pets will do better the sooner we get them settled into a schedule. Most of them are pleasure pets, so we have our work cut out for us. They don’t know much. The art of conversation won’t get them far in Floiland.”

Chaceledon made a face. “You’re taking them to the land of horsemen and corn fed farmers? Gods.” He sighed. “I can’t believe I’m going home after all these years.”

“Father’s going to lose it. So will Mother, come to think of it.” She giggled.

Rheinhard cleared his throat behind them. “We are packed. The pets are ready. The girl is still slightly shaky, but it would do her good to walk.” He said. “I am ready to get out of this city..”

Chaceledon held up a hand. “Coffee first. If you’re expecting me to lug around four people on my spine without a decent mug of coffee…”

Seteta

While waiting for dinner, Seteta cleaned her face again, relieved to see that the wounds from Rheinhard's bite were mostly healed now, scabs starting to peel away and reveal new, pink skin beneath. She dabbed a small amount of the ointment on each spot on her cheekbones for the last time. All that was left now was to wait for the scars to fade with time.

Dinner was a simple affair, and Seteta ate quietly at the table in the kitchen before sneaking out the scraps the chef had set aside and feeding the gargoyles. She wanted to take them with her, but right now their trip was more urgent, and she wasn't going to ask Chaceledon to carry around stone lions too. When the gargoyles had finished eating, though, she took a few moments to play with them. As she did, she made sure that the magic she'd altered within them couldn't be altered again, requiring her own magic for any changes to be made, and also letting them know that Carnelia and Gharnir had the same rights to the house that she and Chaceledon did.

When Chaceledon pouted about the lack of pillows, she distracted him with kisses, and when they eventually slept, morning came too quickly.

She was relieved that Hassani was at least interacting with Rheinhard, and letting the older man instruct him on appropriate wear for the desert. She wore garb similar to what she'd worn when she first met Chaceledon, though with more color and of much better quality: soft linen leggings under a knee-length abaya, both a rich tan, but the abaya was embroidered along the neckline, cuffs, and hem with a wide blue and copper motif. The leggings were tucked into soft moccasin-style boots that laced up to below her knees, and she wore a scarf draped over her hair and around her neck in a blue that matched the embroidery on her abaya.

Finally wandering down to the kitchen, she paused in the doorway, smiling at the sight of Chaceledon and Carnelia visiting with each other. Rheinhard brushed past her a moment later, though, and she followed him over.

Rheinhard cleared his throat behind them. “We are packed. The pets are ready. The girl is still slightly shaky, but it would do her good to walk.” He said. “I am ready to get out of this city..”

Chaceledon held up a hand. “Coffee first. If you’re expecting me to lug around four people on my spine without a decent mug of coffee…”

"While I share Rheinhard's enthusiasm to leave this place," she said, leaning down to kiss Chaceledon on the cheek, "you are not flying anywhere until you've had breakfast not just coffee."

She pulled away, pausing a moment to whisper in his ear, "And if you refuse to eat, I'm going to tell them all about what happened in Maraan."

Then she stood again, a sweet smile on her face, though her gaze was stern as it remained on Chaceledon, waiting for his agreement.

Chaceledon