Dreadlords More Coming

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
His eyes spotted Alistair on deck, and second later he caught sight of his former fellow sailor crumpling onto the pier. Edric let out a sigh, resisting the urge to rub at his face.

Everything was going to shit.

Trouble was, did he go down there now and kill everyone, or did he wait? Chasmine hadn't shouted for him yet, and there were few Dreadlords who could harm her. It would be just his luck that Alistair or this other guy would be one of them...but there was no telling that.

Not yet.

Taking slow, practiced breaths, Edric decided to wait. Perhaps there was a way Chasmine could get through this own her own, if not, he would come running.

"Mind if I have a look in that bag? Pretty sure that doesn't belong to you."

"Let's make this easy on all of us."

The man had only taken a few steps when those words left the young Dreadlord's mouth. He paused and Chasmine felt the creeping prickle of alarm drive up the length of his spine and spread across his scalp. How Alistair had known she could not say but clearly he was on to her. Or at least on to the bag.

"No," said the man gently, "I'm afraid I cannot let you do that."

Without warning, he quickly spun and ran as fast as he could for the end of the boat with every intention of hopping the deck rail to land on the dock below.

"Salak, a runner!"

That was disappointing. He had expected it, but still disappointing. Alistair raced at the figure, instantly activating one of his speed runes as he streaked across the deck. One hand stretched for the sailor, while the other was beginning to cast another spell.

He wasn't sure how, but Edric must have convinced this man to help him. Which made no sense, because Edric was awful at making friends with strangers.

The second spell complete, Alistair threw a ball of a sticky substance that formed in his hand, right for the feat of the fleeing suspect.

Edric Chasmine Salak

• Devil
  • Scared
Reactions: Edric and Chasmine
Alistair's words reached Salak as he was making sure the Quartermaster would wake with no more than a monstrous headache and turned in time to see the suspect appear at the edge of the boat, ready to pounce down to the dock.
"STAY WHERE YOU ARE SIR OR THIS MAN DIES!!"
He bellowed. Clear enough for all to hear.
He didn't want to kill anyone but he wasn't above it to prove he could and he was hoping that being crew, he might stay himself and surrender.

Chasmine
Alistair Krixus
Edric

• Devil
  • Stressed
Reactions: Chasmine and Edric
Unfortunately her chosen host was not nearly as agile or quick as she had hoped. Alistair's gooey glop hit its target, causing the man to face-splat against the deck just a stride away from the railing. It happened so suddenly that he'd not even time to yelp in surprise or pain, but flopped about struggling to get back up again, face covered in blood from a gushing, broken nose.

In a last-ditch effort, he managed to shove himself up to his knees and foist the pack over the edge of the ship where it tumbled through the air and landed on top of a stack of crates situated on the deck below.

• Stressed
Reactions: Edric
Edric watched the calamity unfold from his perch on the warehouse roof. His gaze following the figure that Alistair had shouted after, and then subsequently tracking the duffel bag of stuff as it flipped into the air and came crashing down onto a stack of crates upon the pier.

A quiet curse echoed from the Rogue's mouth as he realized Chasmine had not gotten his warning. A fact which he had already vaguely guessed at when there'd been no response.

Taking a deep breath, Edric watched for a second more before he allowed his magic to flow through him. Vitality poured into his muscles, and slowly he reached down and grabbed beneath the roof-line. With one extraordinarily strong hand, he held onto the building as he pulled and flipped himself around, silently dropping onto the dock below with only a muted thud.

Blue eyes flickering up, he watched the figures upon the ship as he crept forward.

With slow, patient steps, Edric moved up the docks.

He shifted from shadow to shadow, showing a surprising amount of care as he moved through the darkness. Taking up positions behind boxes, between crates, and alongside the beige tarps which seemed to permeate the area.

Creeping forward towards his things.

• Nervous
Reactions: Chasmine
Alistair sighed as he just looked down at the man with pity, the blood pooling from his nose would hopefully stop soon before the sticky substance Alistair had thrown did not dissolve quickly.

Calling out to Salak, "I'll be right back." He leapt over the railing aiming to land down beside the supplies that the sailor had thrown over.

He landed with a soft grunt, casually rubbing his knee. Hero landings were bullshit. Al's hand reached for the bag when it froze partway. A chill ran up his spine, but he realized it wasn't some random chill. He had actually noticed the frantic and dark aura that he was beginning to associate with Edric, and it seemed like there was more in the air...

Alistair quickly turned towards the docks but it was difficult to pick anything out specifically. He still wasn't sure if the rogue Dreadlord was out there, but he took a guess and hoped to get a response.

"Edric...I know you are out there. Stop running. Let's settle this."

Edric Salak Chasmine

• Devil
  • Bless
"I'm on your time Alistair."
Salak had slithered his way up to the deck and was regarding the man who had just eaten deck so hard it was a wonder the ship had not tipped over and sent them all into the bay.
He didn't recognise them but he didn't need to.
"Now, friend. We shall speak of..."
"Edric...I know you are out there. Stop running. Let's settle this."
Salak looked up and around.
"We don't want to fight."
He added for clarification. All too many folk thought thought settling things meant at least one more grave.
"In fact nobody else needs to die today."

Alistair Krixus
Chasmine
Edric

• Devil
  • Bless
Edric paused among the barrels, freezing in place as he took a breath. He heard Alistair's voice ring out, the sound calling above the din of the waves below. He waited a few moment, only to hear another tone calling out in the night.

The other Dreadlord, he presumed.

Lips pressed together, Edric hesitated. Had they caught Chasmine completely? He doubted it. She would call to him, and something would happen with the amulet...surely? Besides, they weren't after her. He was the criminal, not her.

She was fine.

A small grunt echoed through his throat as he shifted. Fingers flickered, and he tried to remember that trick Duncan taught him. A small spell slipped passed his lips, and as he spoke his voice echoed out upon the docks. Resounding and reverberating. "I think it's best you go."

Edric said from seemingly everywhere, turning one last time as he reached the barrel with his things. Arm shifting and hand twisting near backwards to grab for the bag.

"We all go our own way, it's like you said." The Rogue repeated. "Nobody has to die."

• Bless
The man with the bloody nose looked up at Salak curiously. Stared for a long moment and then opened his mouth.

"Hello Proctor."

• Blank
Reactions: Salak
Alistair stood there in the silence that followed with rapt attention waiting for a response. The silence stretched longer than expected, to the point that he thought must have made a mistake. Then the voice came, from everywhere, but it was clear whose voice it was.

"I think it's best you go."

He frowned at that as he too quickly began to move for the bag, and there he saw it. The aura was so thick near that spot that there was no way it couldn't be him.

A quick spell flowed from Alistair's lips as a stone hand shot from the ground looking to grab both the barrel and Edric.

"That was not an option given. You either speak with my friend, or we do this the hard way."

Already wards were beginning to glow about Alistair's body, all purely defensive, but with a clear message. It was not his first choice, but he was still prepared for if this turned nasty.

Edric Salak Chasmine

• Scared
  • Stressed
Salak did a double take.
He called him "Proctor".
They scarce knew he was a Dreadlord let alone...
Slowly he knelt down to beside the trapped man and looked at him, really looked.
Nothing.
He had never seen this person in his life.
"How do you know me? Speak!"
There was anger in his voice. If Salak could not stand one thing it was not knowing.

Chasmine
Alistair Krixus
Edric

• Smug
  • Wonder
Edric kicked himself off the ground just before the stone fist closed where he had been. His hand snapped at the bag now floating in the air, boot pressing against the rock beneath him to swing off and to the side of the docks. He came crashing down with a hard thud, no longer seeing the point in throwing his voice.

"The fuck do I want to talk to your friend for?" He asked, the band of his pack thrown over his shoulder as he gestured towards Alistair.

If he wanted to win this fight, he'd have to get close. His magic was strong enough to pull on Alistair's life from even here, but the wards surrounding him made that dangerous. He had the tricks Gilram taught him...but he was loathe for anyone to know about them until they had to.

Especially anyone from back home.

"Come on, Al!" He complained. "I'm done with Gilram, out."

Edric argued. "Just let me walk away, and you'll never hear from me again."

Probably. He still wanted to get the others out, but he was starting to suspect it would actually be easier if he wasn't there.

• Smug
Reactions: Salak
"That's not how this works Ed. Listen, the standing orders are bringing you in using all force necessary, so Salak's suggestion is already better than any other options here."

Alistair gathered magic in his fingertips, but he never moved to cast any sort of spell. Instead, he waited for Salak to get down here. He was the one that wanted to talk, he should be doing the hard work. The easier way would just be following orders and fighting him.

There was something Edric had said though that piqued his interest. Done with Gilram? Then where was he going? Was he just running away? What if he could give them much-needed information on Gilram? With Edric's help they could launch an attack and take him down.

"You really think walking away is an option after everything that happened? If it's not me then they will send someone else. Someone less polite."

There was also the added question of who was Edric's compatriot aboard the ship who had tried to help him. Was it just some dumb sailor he had befriended on the vessel, or was he someone else that they needed to worry about? There was also the fear that there were other allies, but Alistair had seen no other auras and Edric was not really the type to travel around in such a large group.

Edric Chasmine Salak

• Cthulhoo rage
  • Nervous
It was not often that Salak found himself at a loss for words but now was one such time.
Even his quick mind slowed to tree sap as it found itself bombarded by the new information.
"It cannot be..."
There was indeed only one person who could do this and he thought them lost, passed on or desolutioned completely.
"Miss Grey!?"
He offered her his hand to help her stand again and he remembered Alistair and Edric.
"PEACE, please Master Edric. I know not what is happening but I have an offer for you. If you are truly done with Gilram then moreso I beg you listen."
It was almost impossible for him to stop staring at Miss Grey. He had never seen full body possession, most thought it a myth and here it was. Before his very eyes.
He had already begun making a mental record of this most unexpected of events.

Chasmine
Alistair Krixus
Edric

• Cthulhoo rage
  • Cthuulove
The man smiled the sort of smile that was very much not quite at home on his unshaven, slightly plump and sea-battered face. "That's right," he replied, "how nice to be remembered." He gratefully took Salak's hand and found his feet once again, glancing down to the sticky substance that still held his boots fast to the deck.

The Captain wasn't going to like this. Oh, but Salak was addressing Edric ... so it seemed he'd come out of hiding. She supposed that was the risk they subscribed to in returning to the ship. But here they were, talking at least, and not tearing the port apart like Dreadlords were want to do when facing one another in public spaces.

He leaned to look over the banister of the ship, spying Edric standing not terribly far from Alistair, his bag secured over his shoulder. He could run and might very likely get away, but if there was a chance to stem the tide of future pursuers wouldn't that be better? Wouldn't it always be better to opt for less destruction and violence when possible?

This wasn't her decision to make, though. It wasn't she they were after.

• Popcorn
Al, obviously, had a point.

Even Edric wasn't stupid enough to think Vel Anir would let him get away with the various crimes he'd committed. Perhaps if it had just been a bit of theft and treason he could've gotten away with it. Some of the others like Henk had, but at this point the laundry list of charges against him meant that he'd likely always be branded a criminal.

Thefr, treason, murder, kidnapping the Prince…they'd probably tack on loitering too.

Despite that, despite the fact that he knew, some base instinct still told him to tell Alistair to go fuck himself.

He liked Al, he actually did, but he was tired of always doing what everyone else wanted. Tired of listening to orders and following commands. Exhausted by the simple nature of the system that had taken and turned him into what he was now. Edric wanted to tell Alistair to go back, to tell the Republic to send it's best until they found one he couldn't kill.

Perhaps one could even kill him.

It was the interjection of another voice that broke this line of thought. The sound of his own name drawing eyes towards the ship alongside the dock. He frowned for a moment, not recognizing the voice or face calling out to him. Briefly his snake like eyes searched for Chasmine, knowing she was close, but he couldn't quite make her out.

His lips thinned, and fingers furled into fists. Magic and pure power surging through him. Suffusing every muscle and tendon in his body as he prepared for what was sure would turn into another fight. The pull of his entropy beginning to drag on those nearby as he readied himself.

Then, Edric called out. ”So talk!”

Figuring he could at least listen.

• Bless
Alistair felt it, it had been some time that he felt the pull that came with Edric's abilities, but the cold sensation still made his stomach drop. However, it would not be as simple as in past confrontations. His training with the Archon Zana, partnered with his new sight, had expanded his defensive capabilities and counterspell techniques.

As he watched Edric's powers flare out, Alistair began his own process of analysis as twisted his own mana to simulate Edric's own aura. Not to attack or copy Edric, but to make it more difficult for Edric to pull in the life force around him by making it think the energy was his own.

It was complicated work, and even as Alistair discretely moved to counter the magic, he could still feel that sluggish feeling that came when he knew Edric was at work.

He did not say anything further, it was time to give Salak his chance. Alistair's own tendencies when talking to Edric brought about a tension that was difficult to just shrug off. Hopefully, Salak as an outside party would be more helpful.

Edric Salak Chasmine

Salak carefully removed all trace of his poisons from Chasmine's host before releasing her. There was more alcohol in there than he'd thought.
"I must attend this Miss Grey, please. We shall have to catch up another time."
With that he began down the gangplank but soon found his leg hurting more than usual. He was not a fool and took it to mean that Edric was drawing power. Salak cursed all his luck. He had little enough life force as it stood. He could not afford to loose much here. There was too much damned work to do.
When he reached theboards of the dock again he approached Edric with no fear but some difficulty. Stopping only a few feet away from him.
"Now, Master Edric."
He was breathing heavier than he should have been.
"My offer is simple. You claim to have cut ties with Gilram, all right. Let's say I take you at your word."
Salak's face hurt more than ever as he felt himself begin to die, despite Alistair's efforts.
"If you tell us all you know of Gilram, his associates, lairs, plans, routes and hopefully where he can be found. I will be inclined to let you go and convince the powers that you are no longer a threat. How, how does that sound?"
He was not sure how long he could remain standing under the weight of Edric's power but he had to be this close, he had to try and reason him out.

Edric
Alistair Krixus
Chasmine

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
  • Stressed
He listened as carefully as he could, his eyes flickering between Salak and Alistair. Watching as the former made his way down the gangplank and noting the latter was…a frown tugged at Edric's lips.

What was that?

Something was going on with his magic, the draw of it. Hesitant almost, at first, and then seeming to grow almost ravenous. The Rogue's eyes bulged, and the two Dreadlords would see a moment of panic flicker over Edric's face as he seized the reins of his abilities. Alistair’s cloak having the effect he sought, but almost by opposite means. Edric wrenching his own magic back and away from the two Dreadlords.

It had almost been as though Edric's magic had been eager, almost determined to cannibalize itself. ”Don't! Don't…do that Al.”

Edric warned, though perhaps his old classmate would be surprised at the flicker of fear that rang through his tone. His boot softly thumping against the pier beneath him as he took another step back. His magic no longer drawing on Salak, Alistair, or even those aboard the ship.

A weary eye was cast towards Salak, the Proctor's words barely having reached him in his moment of panic.

”I can't tell you anything.” He said with a shake of his head, taking another step backwards. Drawing closer to the end of the pier each time he did. The water softly lapping below. ”I mean…I don't know anything.”

He offered with a frown. ”He has a dozen hideouts, but I've only ever been to two.”

Edric continued as he shrugged.

”One was in the Falwood.” Though knowing it did not narrow it down one inch. The Falwood was massive, hostile, and still mostly controlled by the Elves. ”But I was only ever flown there or taken by Gilram himself.”

Meaning he had no way to even navigate to the place if he wanted to. A fact which he was entirely sure had been by the Archon’s design. ”The other was some shitty Island in the Bane.”

Which Erodin and his lackeys had taken by force and the Republic had deemed too unimportant to besiege at this moment.

There had been others of course, temporary safe houses and locations of dead drops. But they all changed frequently. That was part of the trouble in all of this. Gilram wasn't some simple runaway, he was an Archon and had been one for nearly thirty years. The man was smart, far smarter than Edric.

It didn't help that the same could be said for half his followers. ”His associates? I don't know…there's Duncan, Mae, Ulrich…Erodin…”

Edric shook his head again, disgust flickering over his features at the last name.

”The fuck can I tell you that Vigilite don't already know?” The Republic had more information on Gilram and the others than he did. Just a year ago they had all been loyal Dreadlords, each with a file of their own detailing personality, magics, and even personal relationships. Salak was of course after more specifics, the Rogue's individual movements, plans, perhaps even personalities, but Edric couldn't offer even that. ”I didn't spend much time with most of them.”

He and Duncan had spent hours together, the older Rogue helping Edric understand a great deal, and of course the lessons from the Archon himself. But those times had always been focused on him, not them. He was fairly certain that Chasmine actually would have been the one to question about…all of this, but there was no way in fuck he was pointing the finger at her.

Especially as he felt the cold chill of the amulet flickering against his chest. The panic he had felt earlier subsided, though just slightly, he was not possessing her.

”I’m not…exactly a strategist.” Edric said, glancing at Alistair so he could confirm to his partner that such was the truth. ”Gilram told me where to go, and I went. Just like I used to do for Vel Anir.”

Though his original intention had been to join Gilram to bring the others of his class who joined him home, his method had been all wrong. He'd tried to play the hammer, the role that Vel Anir has given him, but it hadn't been enough. He hadn't learned much, hadn't ingratiate himself beyond a certain degree, and had certainly failed to infiltrate any inner circle.

Why? Because he had no clue how to capitalize on the goodwill he earned by being the hammer. The Academy had trained him to be a killer, and not a spy. He'd been meant as a murder, and nothing more. It wasn't that he didn't have the capability, he simply did not have the knowledge, and as he'd spent more and more time on the other side…he'd realized that things were not as simple as he'd thought. To the point that he hadn't wanted to learn more.

Edric frowned at that realization. The failure was his own, in a way he knew, but in others not. That spark of anger began rising in his chest all the same. ”Now you can either let me go, or you can try to kill me.”

Edric said, though the words were an empty threat. He did not want to fight, not after what Alistair had done. He didn't understand it, but his magic had threatened to run rampant for a moment. Just as it had in the village with that creature.

He didn't want Peddlefoot to be another ghost town.

”And you can tell them I'm a threat or not.” Edric continued, taking yet another step backwards. ”But remind them, I'm a threat they made.”

Though he doubted anyone would care about the distinction.

A raised eyebrow was the only look that Alistair gave Edric as he protested his displeasure...That was interesting. It had not been what Alistair expected from the magic, but the result had been the same. Edric had pulled back his magic. However, for just that moment he had seen it, the magic nearly getting away from Edric. Such a clear ravenous hunger burned from that aura, a more primal beast than the controlled mana of a Dreadlord. They would need to be careful with that.

The longer Alistair stood there and Edric spoke, the more disappointed he became. Did he really have nothing? The Falwood base had been handled by Sam sometime back, and the Vigilite was aware of the other island and the members that Edric described. None of this was helpful.

It almost made Alistair mad, for some time after many of his classmates joined Gilram, Alistair had told himself they had a plan. Edric and the others were returned with vital information and all of his friends would be pardoned. But this, had Edric been committing treason for no reason? For the childish reason of resistance against those who ordered him around?

He noticed the step back again, and Alistair began to gather magic once again with an annoyed expression on his face.

"You take another step and there is no stopping what happens next."

Edric Salak Chasmine

• Stressed
Rich's body had gone rather slack after Chasmine parted ways from him, slowly flopping over onto the deck motionless. A few moments later he'd begun to snore. She'd taken his energy and left him a rather sleepy deckhand - hopefully he wouldn't get into too much trouble with the Captain.

Then back into the amulet hidden beneath Ed's shirt, causing it to prickle with coldness he would recognize immediately as her presence returned. She'd intended to stay there, but hearing Alistair's words made that coldness spike. Al may not have been among those who caused her the most harm, but he was threatening Ed... which in turn was threatening her pursuit of returning to life.

"Edric..." the spirit hushed to her amulet's host, "say go and I will distract him. Please don't fight."

• Stressed
"Stand down Alistair."
Salak put out his hand to stay Alistair's then lifted it to Edric. He was feeling better, the shaking had steadied somewhat as the two controlled their powers.
"It's not much to go on Edric. Think, anything you can remember, the name of a place or a person. A code phrase perhaps. The more you give me the easier I can convince the Landsraad. Help me direct their attention to the real threat and you can go, right now."
There had to be more, something Edric wasn't thinking of, folk often knew more than they were aware. The key to unlocking it was often difficult but could be encouraged.

Edric
Alistair Krixus
Chasmine

• Stressed
  • Spoon Cry
"Please don't fight."

The moment Alistair's words had left his lips Edric's hackles had gone up in an instant. Fingers flexing into fists as he prepared, but Chasmine's echoing words took the wind from his sails. Lips pressed to a thin line, his gaze setting hard on the two other Dreadlords across the pier.

Jaw setting hard as he nearly bit down on his tongue.

His eyes darted towards Salak, who strangely seemed more eager to resolve this in non-violence than his own classmate. Was Alistair chasing glory? No. He knew that if he came back empty handed the Republic wouldn't be pleased. Edric couldn't blame him. A year ago, he wouldn't have talked at all.

For a second, Edric remained quiet, battling with himself. Then he frowned, thinking of Chasmine's words, Salak's, and Al's. He puzzled through it all, everything he had heard, learned. "I can tell you..."

He paused, hesitating.

"I can go if I tell you something useful?" He didn't want to betray Duncan, the man had been too kind, but there was something he could offer. Something that might be of worth without betraying that confidence at least. "Swear it."

Edric looked at Alistair. "Both of you. On whatever oath will keep you honest."

• Cthuulove
  • Nervous
Reactions: Chasmine and Salak