Private Tales Let's be friends: Best. Friends.

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zana

The Butcher of Vel'Anir
Character Biography
Link
Dangerous thoughts could get her killed. Yet that was all Zana could seem to think about.

What do you want?

A question nobody had ever asked the Dreadlord. Why would anybody care? Dreadlords were there to serve the people of Vel Anir, to protect humanity and fight so they might be able to lead free lives. Sure, she was aware, it wasn't strictly true because of the Houses but then that was why Luana existed. To help the people. They really cared. Didn't... they? The last few days had thrown all of her assumptions out the window and began to crack at the years of indoctrination the Academy had carefully built by breaking her very soul. She had come home from the mission feeling more lost than she had ever felt before. Even after the death of her father, the mute news of her mothers passing. Zana had felt lost and alone then but nothing akin to this. At least then she had had the Academy to throw herself into but when she began questioning that too?

It had all got too much. She just wanted the thoughts to stop.

The only thing that got her out of this kind of funk was baking - a secret she would admit to nobody - and going for a ride. It was probably a strange thought for many that someone who had just got back off the road would want to get back in the saddle again so soon. But it was the only way Zana could stop thinking.

Gone was the armour and any mark of what she was. Zana wanted... yes... she wanted to feel... normal today. Quietly she stepped into the stables reserved for the Dreadlords and made her way along the stands to her mount who put his head over and whinnied in welcome. A steward rushed forward to prepare the mount but she put out a hand.

"I... would like to do this," Zana said the words slowly. They felt odd but she seized the shovel from him and stepped into the stall. It didn't take long before she was working up a bit of a sweat, but the repetitive work was helping to clear her mind as she focused on the manual job.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Evangeline
Zana was not the only Dreadlord paying a visit to the stables this day. Evangeline D'Amour of House Pirian also walked its aisles, inspecting over each mount as she did so. She would stop from time to time at a stall to offer one of the beasts some hay and wait for it to gently nibble the offering from her palm.

Pirian had just finished shipping an order of feed to the Dreadlord stables and Lord Tobias had asked that she oversee the delivery personally. It was of great importance that the chosen mounts of Vel Anir's greatest warriors were in kept in top shape, and that meant a healthy diet. The best hay, oats, and carrots were among the shipment, proud proof of her house's noble contribution to the kingdom. The horses, too, were in excellent shape, their coats and manes in pristine condition.

In truth, Evangeline found this task particularly enjoyable, and Lord Tobias was keenly aware. She truly loved the gentle, elegant creatures that horses were, and seeing them thrive was among her greatest joys in her routine. Of course, there was an odd sight at the Dreadlord stables this day: a familiar face in casual dress stepping into one of the stalls with a shovel.

Now where had she seen that woman before? Ah, yes, the Vel Istra raid, she distinctly recalled. What was she doing here? Evangeline stepped over to the other woman's stall, her uniform's heels clacking sharply on the cobblestone floor. She peered in to find the woman...shoveling...manure? How strange.

"Curious." She announced her presence in a polite tone, cocking her head as she spoke. "I had assumed menial tasks such as this to be beneath the Dreadlords of other houses. Or are you here as punishment?"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Zana
Zana was barely aware of anything beside her job and her horse who was peering at her curiously every now and then as she worked around him. It wasn't a job he associated with this person. It felt... satisfying. Zana decided as she tipped another shovel load into her wheelbarrow, being careful to sift the manure from the straw that could be reused. Any good straw she put back into one clear corner. Eventually she would add it to the fresh straw to make the bed rise even fuller for her horse. He deserved the best.

So consumed was she in her single minded focus she merely glanced up at first when a woman spoke. Very quickly she corrected her mistake and stood up, heels coming together in a form of attention. After all, Evangeline was a higher level than her and deserved the correct respect.

"No punishment, Ma'am," Zana held her gaze. It felt like her secret transgression was written across her face but the Luana Dreadlord had learned the art of keeping her face blank from a young age. The slight attack on her House was also a barb but she decided to ignore it. "I... wanted... to do something useful on my day off."

• Popcorn
Apparently this one remembered her as well, snapping to attention the moment she recognized her. Evangeline gave Zana an amused smile. Good manners were always well received by her.
"At ease," She granted the woman. There was no need for military formalities here. Evangeline stepped closer to the stall and leaned against its gate. "That is an admirable notion, one that I empathize with."

It was certainly an unorthodox use of her spare time, but Dreadlords weren't exactly a particularly sane bunch. There were any number of reasons she could think of why this one would use what little free time she had to clean a stable. Still, this presented an unprecedented opportunity. Perhaps the Second Level could reach out to this woman, or at the very least pick her mind.

"The horses are lovely creatures. I'm sure he appreciates your efforts." She lilted, producing a handful of oats and offering it to the steed. She stroked his mane for a moment, then returned her attention to her lower ranked comrade. "Tell me, what is your name and house, Dreadlord?"

• Sip
Zana felt awkward for the first time in her life. No, that was a lie. The only other time she had felt this way was when Ashur had dressed her up and paraded her around at a ball. The armour was the only skin she knew well. The tan riding breeches and loose white blouse were another persons life but she felt... comfortable in them. She had wanted to wear them, which was the important thing. When her senior Dreadlord allowed her to stand easy she actually just went back to the task at hand whilst listening. It made no sense to be idle when she could be working.

"I am not sure," Zana confessed, side eyeing her horse. He was a fickle thing as prove in her mind by the way he arched his neck into the other woman's affections. Even so she couldn't help but smile before returning to her work. "Zana, House Luana. Third Level Telekinetic." Second Level Foresight. Again the question - did she want people to know or was her fear something Luana had drilled into her? She scooped the last of the manure up and then wiped the sweat from her brow. She had only tied her hair back loosely in a pony tail and stubborn burls broke free and plastered themselves against her dark skin.

"I must confess I did not think to find the Pride of Pirian down here."

• Popcorn
"Zana, it is a pleasure to meet you formally." Evangeline bowed politely. It was a gesture she was certain a Third Level wouldn't expect from a superior, but both women were technically off duty at the moment. It was the respectful thing to do. "I am Evangeline D'amour of House Pirian, but it seems you already knew that.

Another smile. "Pride of Pirian" was a title that Evangeline had grown proud to be the owner of. Though she did not gloat about it, it always made her happy to hear someone else using it unironically. Her reputation often preceded her, but usually Dreadlords of other houses looked down upon her for belonging to the noble house that they viewed as "weak."

"I'm simply overseeing a delivery. A humble task, to be sure, but I don't get to come here as often as I'd like." She turned to look down the aisle, noting that Pirian laborers were neatly stacking and unpacking crates. It was wholly unnecessary for her to be present, competent as they were, but she had been told that her presence was somehow reassuring to many of them. Maybe they had expected to be antagonized if she wasn't here."It's nice to be away from the stresses of one's house from time to time, don't you think?"

• Popcorn
Zana knew who she was but she appreciated the gesture.

She had watched the woman die a thousand different ways on the fields of Vel Istra. It felt like she knew every person from that battle even if she hadn't spoken to them. It was in their final moments you truly discovered who a person truly was. Her moves has earned Zana's respect too - not many would risk their lives for others in the way she had done. Perhaps weakness to some but Zana... Zana thought it was a strength the Dreadlords failed to tap into.

"Sometimes it is the simple tasks that bring the greatest pleasure," the woman murmured, glancing to her shovel before wiping a curl from her brow again. Now she was done she exited the stall and put the shovel in the appropriate place before wheeling the barrow out so it stood in the walk way. Once that was done she grabbed the fork with one hand and a bale of straw she hoisted onto her shoulder with the other. The toned muscles bunched as she did so on show as they were on her sleeveless blouse. She caught the woman's last sentence as she walked back into the stall and set the straw down.

"I like to stay out of all politics," a careful phrasing. Crouching down she drew a small blade and undid the twining. "As much as possible." Because Dreadlords were there to be used. Was that what she wanted? To be used? A frown marred her brow as she picked up the fork and began spreading out the fresh straw to build up a suitable bank.

• Cheer
Much like herself, Zana clearly kept herself fit. Magical strength was no substitute for a well trained body, a lesson many Dreadlords would be apt to learn. Similarly, many would do well to learn from this woman's dedication and outlook. It was indeed the simplest of deeds that could illicit the most satisfaction in life. Humility was a trait not often expressed in those outside her own house.

Evangeline stepped aside to accommodate Zana's exit, observing her quietly. Yes, by first impressions she was an admirable one. Such a rarity outside of Pirian. It felt like the woman was in the wrong house.

Her next statement earned a confused look from the Second Level, however. A House Luana Dreadlord that avoided politics...the notion seemed outlandish. Now it definitely seemed like an improper fit of houses.

"Indeed? I was under the impression that Luana was all about politics. Politics and lavish treatment of their Dreadlords." Evangeline leaned over the stall once more, curiosity in her tone. "So far, you seem to fit neither."

• Devil
Carefully she fluffed up the straw, separating it once, then again, then turning it over and doing the same again. It helped break the blocks up. It was also the best part of the job, Zana was discovering. There was something rather satisfying about making the bed for her horse. Would he appreciate it, she wondered?

Done with her job she straightened and leaned nonchalantly against the fork, her arm strewn across the handle and her weight distributed onto one hip. If nobody had known she was a Dreadlord the ease at which she was in the stall might make many mistake her as a groom instead.

"Luana take care of their Dreadlords," for which she was very grateful having seen how some of the other Dreadlords were restricted to tiny two room apartments. Zana's own apart was a large thing and what she was paid more than meant she could live comfortably. "But I come from humble beginnings, I guess I do not have the taste for finer things my fellows have," she had to admit some of her house spent their money frivolously at times. Zana couldn't bring herself to spend it unless she needed to. The smallest bit of her past to stay with her.

"In truth I have not given much thought to Luana's politics. My mentor and most of my teachers were Luana, and they and Pirian were the two most loved by my people too so...it just... seemed natural." A light shrug. The House she was going to pick had never been a question in her mind.

"What made you choose Pirian?" a curious glint to her oddly light eyes.

• Popcorn
"Luana take care of their Dreadlords, but I come from humble beginnings, I guess I do not have the taste for finer things my fellows have,"

She nodded understandingly. Evangeline could hardly imagine any Dreadlord considering themselves to have come from anything besides a humble beginning. Being taken from one's family and forced into that hellish Academy does wonders to make one detest one's early life. It was remarkable how many students grew to be such arrogant, insufferable personalities.
"Yes, I have heard of the pampered lifestyles your house offers its Dreadlords. I would hardly call it 'taking care of' them, but it is a marked improvement over the other five houses..."

Evangeline listened intently as Zana explained, trying to gauge how genuine she was being. She didn't detect any falsity in the woman, but it would not be the first time a fellow Dreadlord had tried to manipulate her.

"I mean no disrespect, but it is a shame that I could not have gotten to you before a Luana mentor. Then you could know for yourself why I chose Pirian." The Second Level looked wistful for a moment, a ghost of a smile forming on her lips as she remembered fondly the day pledged herself to her house.
"I chose them because they know what it truly means to look after their own. They treat me, and every other Dreadlord under their care, like human beings. Not as weapons. Not as assets. As family."

She braced internally for the inevitable cringe or confused look that was to come. So many Dreadlords were too far gone to understand what that meant, believing that Pirian's outlook made them weak. They couldn't understand how wrong they were.

Zana only raised an eyebrow at the slight dig towards House Luana but she kept her mouth shut. It would serve no use to argue with a Second Level, besides she could not in good conscious truly dispute it. Would she truly say Luana took care of her? What other than proving them a comfortable life was there? They have her a purpose when what would she have been before; a ship builders daughter? A maids daughter? She would have been nothing in this world and at least now she was... something.

Zana was just unsure what that something was.

The woman listened intently, desperately wanting to know what had made this woman choose Pirian over the other houses. Had Evangeline known what she wanted? Had that been what had informed her decision? Zana looked truly confused when the woman told her it was because they were treated as family.

"Family?" her brow was furrowed as she tried to remember what that even felt like. Her mother had given her over willingly, horrified her daughter had seen the future and her husbands death. Was that family? In which case Luana was no different. Getting rid of problems instead of fixing them. She struggled to remember her father at all. The first vision she had ever had had been of him and it was still an oozing sore in her mind.

Visible distress etched its way across Zana's face. She wanted to remember. She saw families on the street, the way they laughed with one another. That sense of... belonging and love and safety. Was that what she wanted?

"I do not remember my family being any nicer than my life now. It is... nice that you can experience that in your House," truth, raw and honest.

• Thoughtful
Visible distress etched its way across Zana's face.

Well, that was certainly different than the usual reaction she got, though perhaps not strictly better. At the very least the comments that followed were not ones of disgust, but of commendation. A good sign.

"Most of us don't remember. They take us so early..." Evangeline looked wistful. Sometimes she wished to return to see her own flesh and blood, to know what her true mother and father were like. She knew it would only end in heart ache and disaster, however. "It is not an experience that is beyond your reach, you know."

She smiled warmly at Zana. There was nothing manipulative in her eyes, nor her voice. She was truly altruistic. Nothing made her happier than bringing peace and contentment to her kin, to allow them to have what she had. It was what the Dreadlords deserved...not the treatment they received in the Academy, not the horrible way they were viewed in their houses. If a comrade could be helped, wanted to be helped...Evangeline would.

• Bless
Zana felt a little awkward as the question hung unspoken in the air between them. It was not common for Dreadlords to switch houses - you went to being bottom of the ladder again if you hopped across and there was no telling what another House might do to keep their secrets safe. Especially to someone like Zana who had seen and discovered things that perhaps Luana did not want anyone else to knows. She already suspected that it was Luana who had killed her mother to silence the rumours of her powers over the future.

"I..." What could she even say? The look on the woman's face for a moment made Zana want to cry. It was too sweet and kind for the lifestyle either of them lived. Was it fake? It didn't seem so but this job made her question everything and now even more so. That evening with Kol had set inside her a seed not just of a new power but of asking questions. "I am only just beginning to think about what I would want. But your offer is a kind one, I will think on it."

It was a dangerous confession in a way, Dreadlords were not paid to think on their own. They were created to do what they were told.

• Wonder
Zana was keen to have deciphered the underlying meaning behind Eva's words. It was a pleasant surprise, not only that she realized what she was talking about, but also that she responded so well. Evangeline smiled once more.

"I know that it is very difficult to make such a decision. Nothing needs to happen over night; this isn't an offer that will expire." It was a very serious matter, one that could never be taken lightly, but others had to know that it was an option. "Pirian is always open to those who would seek us out. We protect those that do, too."

It was a shame that even Luana, a house that appeared as though it was well-natured, fell to the same pit falls that the other five had. They were amiable, at least, and open to working with Pirian. Many of the individuals within identified with Luana's true nature, but as with all the houses, there were a few that seemed to truly want to do good.

For now what was important was getting to know this woman better. Evangeline wasn't here to advertise, but to make connections.
"Well, Zana...is there anything else you like to do in your free time, outside of the stables perhaps? I would enjoy your company."

• Popcorn
Zana was quite relieved when the conversation shifted away from the discussion of Houses and she stepped back to look around the stable with a happy nod. The job had been done to a good standard. Perhaps she would begin to do this job more often when her duties allowed her to do them. Her mind did linger on the last part of her sentence though, about the protection from retribution should she switch. That... that she was not confident of. At least Zana's gifts might at least give her the edge should she find an assassin knocking on her bedroom one night.

She pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind to deal with later along with the other growing list of problems independent thought were beginning to show.

"I didn't have any firm plans," Zana admitted and rubbed the back of her neck. "I was debating whether to go for a ride or to go and get some ingredients... to... bake..." the sentence trailed off as she glanced over to the other Dreadlord. Baking probably didn't scream terrifying battle mage but it was something Zana had discovered she enjoyed after a mysterious benefactor had sent her her mothers cookbook, something she thought she had lost. "You're more than welcome to join me - what do you do when not on duty?" Zana listed her head to one side. It was a question she was curious to hear the answer to. Not many Dreadlords did things outside of training and duty.

• Popcorn
Evangeline's face lit up at the mention of baking, in spite of Zana's apparent lack of confidence on the subject. Zana's own question regarding her own hobbies gave Eva a great chance to form a common bond between the two of them, as well.

"That's brilliant, Zana! I like to make art in my free time, drawing and painting and so on. Baking is an art form in it's own right, though! Art that you get to eat at the end, at that." She allowed herself a polite giggle as she finished her response. She hadn't really baked anything before, but it was something she had wanted to try, and learning from a compatriot sounded like a splendid time. A warm and comforting smile fell upon her fellow Dreadlord, and she reached a reassuring hand out to place on Zana's arm.

"It's nothing you should ever be ashamed of. We're people first, Dreadlords second. Be proud of your individuality." She encouraged. It was saddening to hear the reluctance in Zana's voice, truth be told; too many Dreadlords did little in their free time but drink and train, ever discouraged from expressing themselves. No wonder so many were utter sociopaths.

• Popcorn
The merriment in her voice, the soft touch... Zana glanced from her hand back up to Evangeline's face and very slowly relaxed. She even, offered her her first shy and hesitant smile. Not a fake thing she would throw at people to disarm them or make her look more approachable but one born from the warming in her heart. In truth she had half expected the other woman to mock her and laugh at her hobbies but to find someone who encouraged them gave her something she was realising she had been lacking - no - craving.

"It is hard to remember that at times," or, ever, really. She had been focused for most of her life on the simple need to survive that she had forgotten that she also needed to live. The Dreadlord wiped her hands against her leggings and then glanced around the stall to make sure that it was all in order, the tools put back, before she slid from the stall after giving the horse a sly treat.

"Are you all done here? The market is on the way back to my place... are you... are you allergic to anything?" again, not something she probably would have cared much about before but now... "I was thinking of a lemon and raspberry cake, I noticed the farmers were bringing in their first ripe hauls of the year."

• Cheer
A genuine smile was something Evangeline had very much hoped to see. She craned about to look at how the shipment was coming, then realized that the Pirian laborers had already come and gone. It seemed that everything had been delivered in short order.

"Seems I'm free for the day." She turned back to her new acquaintance and offered her another polite grin. "I don't believe I have any allergies, no, but I do love raspberries very much. I'd be happy to accompany you."

It wasn't often Evangeline found herself genuinely wanting to spend any amount of free time with a Dreadlord not of her own house. This would be a refreshing experience, to be sure.

• Popcorn
Each second ticked by and Zana relaxed more and more, allowed herself to now enjoy what lay ahead. When they left the stables she took a deep breath of fresh air and let the final bit of worry disappear. Evangeline was right; it was good to do something for herself for once.

"Can I ask you what your House is like?" it was almost a shy question and she rubbed the palms of her hands together in a nervous tick. They were heading back away from the yard the Dreadlord horses were stabled at and back down into the town proper. There were a few people who did a double take at the pair walking together; Evangeline was clearly well known but so was Zana. There were more than a few people who said hello and the Dreadlord replied with a small smile.

• Cheer
It was good to see that Zana was beginning to loosen up a bit, but it was clear that she was still rather anxious. A greater level of comfortability would come in time, she imagined. When experience told you that other Dreadlords, especially superiors, were more likely to shame you or even punish you than give you any sort of positive interaction...well, it was no wonder she was 'hand-shy,' so to speak.

Evangeline took a moment to politely wave and smile anyone who decided to greet the pair as they walked, but was otherwise unfazed by the interaction. Much of her time both on duty and off was spent contributing to the community in Vel Anir, and many had come to know her on a first name basis. She strode with confidence and hoped that she would encourage Zana to do the same.

"Pirian is a great many things." She replied, waving to another passerby. Zana's question was somewhat vague, so Evangeline thought she'd simply give her a bit of an overview. "House Pirian is the primary source of food for the entire kingdom. Our Lord and Lady, Tobias and Henrietta, are perhaps the most kind and generous people you shall ever meet; they follow the structure laid out to them by Tobias predecessors, namely that the noble houses should serve the people of Vel Anir, rather than behave as tyrants."

She paused for a moment as she walked up to a raggedly dressed little girl holding a basket full of flowers. She handed the girl a few silver coins from her coin purse and took a poppy from among them and smiled, then continued on her walk with Zana.

"You will not find the ambition, cruelty, and ruthlessness exhibited by the other Great Houses' nobles and Dreadlords among us. But perhaps you are not simply asking about Pirian's values and duties...was there something more specific you wished to know about?"

• Bless
Zana watched how Evangeline dealt with the people who passed them by with interest. She wasn't like many other Dreadlords, even in her own House. The way she handed the girl money - more than what was necessary for a small flower - made her smile faintly. She offered a small wink to the girl and hurried after the other woman when she started walking again. Despite leaving the rougher areas such as this when she was a young girl she still felt more at ease here than she did where she lived now in an odd way.

"No... Nothing specific. I just find that if I ask that question I learn a lot more about a person and a House than I would ... other ways. I recently had a mission with a Dreadlord from Virak? And it was very clear to me what they valued and the... intensity of it," she offered her new companion a small smile. "I told him about how in Luana we go out and play a game on a Sunday morning in the fields and he looked at me like I had just spat on his mothers grave," a small laugh. "Pirian just... seems like a natural ally to me. For Luana. Ashur-Khan seems to hold similar ideas for when he takes over from his father, I think...." she paused. That term again, thinking for herself. It was exciting and terrifying all in one. "I think our Houses could do a lot of good for Vel Anir. For... future Dreadlords too," ending the torture and stifling of their battle mages she was growing increasingly convinced would be better for them all.

• Popcorn
"I told him about how in Luana we go out and play a game on a Sunday morning in the fields and he looked at me like I had just spat on his mothers grave,"

Of all the other houses, Virak was a particularly egregious example of everything that was wrong with Vel Anir in its current state. This specific example sounded like a familiar 'peer' that she'd butted heads with before.
"...Let me guess...Ademar Acero? That brute understands little else but violence." Her expression and voice both held a bit of amusement, but mostly annoyance. The second level recalled how the hulking idiot nearly strangled an apprentice to death for the crime of 'standing too close to him and not speaking up when Selene asked someone to.' "Their Lord encourages such mindless barbarism, even in his own children. I fear for us all when Elise takes control of House Virak..."

Evangeline's brows furrowed, and she took a somewhat apprehensive tone.
"I am...hesitant to believe that Ashur has Vel Anir's best interests at heart...but I do wish for a world in which we can be allies. I hope that he is sincere." She turned her head towards Zana and offered her a warm, genuine smile. "At the very least, I would like very much for you and me to be friends."

• Love
Zana began to laugh at the expression on her new... friends face when she named the correct Dreadlord.

"You know," her tone was warm when she spoke. "I spent four days with him on that mission and after the first half, once he had got over the ego and what not, he wasn't too bad... We actually had a few decent conversations. I just don't think he knows how to... how to just be a person," she glanced up at the sky as she bit the inside of her cheek thinking about it. "I think he has a teeny crush," Zana confided and glanced to Evangeline before to the road in front of them again. Her words about the two houses she took more time to mull over.

"I have to say I don't know him too well, we've not spent the most time together, but when he found out certain things about my own history the expression I saw on his face..." she thought about the surprise and the horror. "I think he would have to be a very good politician to have faked those emotions," which, Zana guessed, was the whole reason they were the Heads of Houses. Even so... he hadn't needed to offer her aid when her visions had hit, hadn't needed to ease her pain but he had and he had shown concern too.

"I... would very much like for us to be friends Evangeline," Zana thew her a shy smile before they came to the market and she began to collect the ingredients necessary.

• Love
"I just don't think he knows how to... how to just be a person,"
The Second Level mulled over the notion for a few moments and sighed.
"An unfortunate issue that most Dreadlords suffer from, I think." She started dourly. Her expression twisted into something of a mild cringe at the mention of Ademar's apparent crush. She couldn't imagine that meathead trying to romance anyone. "Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry."

It wouldn't be unheard of for an heir to want to usher in change to their house, and Ashur's position as a 4th level might've even had something to do with his desires for a more peaceful, healthy Vel Anir...but Evangeline was slow to trust any politician outside her own house. Still, she wanted to be respectful in this instance and simply nodded in response. Perhaps she'd have to make time to speak with Ashur herself one day.

"I... would very much like for us to be friends Evangeline,"
The statement earned her a warm grin in return. Zana truly seemed like a good person, a rarity among their kind. It was heart-warming.
"Any time you would like to socialize, or simply talk, don't hesitate to call on me, Zana."

• Popcorn
"Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry."

Zana gave a startled laugh at her comment but she shrugged as she picked up a sack of flour and passed over a coin to the merchant behind the stand. In truth she didn't mind it. It wasn't the first man who had fallen for her and she doubted it would be the last. At least Ademear seemed to confused with the emotions he wasn't entirely sure on how to act upon them and seemed to consider her some sort of witch. Either way, it made her life a little easier without having to deal with his snappy comments and anger issues.

She picked up a punnet of raspberries and brought them closer to smell them then selected another bunch and did the same. She passed over the money for the second bunch and a couple of fresh lemons.

"The same... for you too," Zana glanced sideways to the woman with her and lifted the corner of her lips into a smile. "Unless I end up giving you food poisoning today, in which case I understand entirely if you choose for this to go back to a passing nod affair," her voice was solemn and businesslike but there was a thread... a thread of very subtle humour beneath it all. She finished up with her supplies and then listed her head to the side to indicate the direction of her place. Once Evangeline was done with any shopping she wanted she would lead the woman back to her home.

Her townhouse was definitely beyond the norms of the simple rooms most Dreadlords were given, even amongst Luana. A subtle hint she did more for the House probably than most people seemed to think.

"Oh," Zana paused as she opened the door. "Do you like dogs?" she half turned to Evangeline then, one foot half in the door.

• Popcorn