Open Chronicles Journals: Voyage to the Unknown (open)

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Harrier

The Necromancer
Character Biography
Link
OOC/ The idea is to expand on this expedition by posting a picture or two (with source of course) and an in-character passage. No posting order, no urgency, no pressure, just toss stuff in whenever you like.

The pictures can be anything your character sees or encounters along the way - characters, coasts, islands, monsters, objects, whatever. We all love images. Seems like a fun way to share them as we go into the unknoooown.

IC/
We left Salitra and the Trident two days ago. North of Amol-Kalit, the ocean stretches out forever, dotted with islands that no portal stone can access. The expanse goes on for a thousand miles at least.

proxy.php

(source)

This ship, the Cordumaire, brims with explorers, trade goods, and soldiers of fortune. I hired on as a junior weather-witch and left all my undead behind. Sleeping in a hammock below deck isn't conducive to privacy. I admit I'm jealous of some of the passengers, who have cabins with actual beds.

Last edited:
It's in my best interests to take a break from the continent of Liadain for a hot minute, Amol-Kalit in particular. Hiring on with this expedition seemed a solid way to do that, both for me and for a handful of other Silver Key mercenaries. Word on the street is Salitra's getting tense anyway. We weren't the only merchant ship clearing out.

proxy.php

(
source)

It is with great joy and anticipation that I have taken the position of naturalist on the Cordumaire. They sail for lands unknown, and I so wonder what creatures we may encounter. I am grateful to the College for recommending me to the voyage. While the school is primarily concerned with the supernatural, I have managed to gain the praise of a handful of my betters with my research into the decidedly natural world. Perhaps they were impressed by my categorization of the seasonal insects of the Falwood.

I do hope I make them proud.

Without a doubt, the single greatest threat to my life is the small avian naturalist known as Kikwi.

I signed on under a false name: Signe Spar. Signe Spar has never been to Elbion. Harrier Wren spent fifteen years in the College before her exile.

proxy.php

(source)

There's a storm brewing. If I slip up, make my College magic weatherwork anything other than sloppy, use the wrong figure of speech or turn of phrase, Kikwi may realize I'm not who I seem. And if I'm outed as me, there's a better than even chance the sailors toss the necromancer overboard.

The problem is, I'm not a murderer. And even if I was, Kikwi is adorable.

Last edited:
I found the perfect place to trial my new, magic-free, water breathing potion today. One of the lookouts spotted a beautiful coral reef, an excellent chance to study the aquatic flora. It didn't work the first three times and I've nearly drowned twice... But I think I'll try it again tomorrow - just to be certain.

proxy.php

(Source)

There's a herbalist aboard, a petite Elven redhead who goes by Ailsa de Paor. The sailors keep having to fish her out of the water when experimental potions fail. I'm immensely impressed by her tenacity. It takes courage to make something new that your life will depend upon.

I confess I was quite distracted at the time or I'd have helped pull her out. Another ship wrecked on that very reef a couple of years ago. It's deep underwater and I doubt anyone else knew it was there, but I could hear ghosts in the back of my mind. I couldn't fully put them to sleep without displaying more magic than a junior weatherwitch should know, so I left them to their unquiet slumber.

proxy.php

(
source)

I spotted the ship's weatherworker holding her head the other day. She's been working so hard to keep us safe, so I brewed her a nice herbal tea this morning when she woke up. Hopefully, it should ease any headaches.

It gave me a great idea though and I spoke to a few officers onboard and arranged a feast from our remaining rations - we're due to restock at port tomorrow anyway. That, and I'd suspected a few minor cases of scurvy.

It always amazes me how far food can go with a few herbs, spices, and mild poisons - in trace amounts - although I omitted the last bit, people tend to get funny about poisons in their food. Incidentally, I think I've involuntarily ended up as the ship's co-chef.

There's something familiar about the scents of Ailsa de Paor's cooking, but I can't put my finger on it. This Elvish stuff's not half bad. I think Kikwi agreed, even though he (she? it?) is a bird.

Speaking of, so far I think I've kept my Elbionese secret a secret. Nobody's thrown me overboard yet.

We put in to port to resupply at Sanagra. It's a tiny island eight hundred miles north of the Trident. It's also the last outpost of civilization.

proxy.php

(source)

The Captain's made the call to stay in port for three days and let the sailors drink the island dry. I've got a different sort of relaxation in mind. This place has
maps.

The sailors keep telling me to find my "sea legs." I am usually very good at finding things, but these are proving difficult. The boat rocks back and forth so much that at times I fear I will tumble overboard! Luckily the guard rails are very tall (for me). I managed to keep my books and supplies tied down with some generous use of twine, and have found it best to pack up the ink and quills when I am not using them. The last storm, although very well managed by the ship's weatherwitch, Signe Spar, resulted in my left sleeve being permanently stained black. Luckily I brought extra robes from the college.

I am very interested in Signe's magic, although she seems very shy. Sometimes I see her looking at me, but when I try to approach her she quickly ducks away, or suddenly finds herself very busy with whatever is currently at hand. I suppose it is hard work, keeping abreast of the churning seas.

I am even more interested in the work that Ailsa has been doing. She says she is an herbalist, and I have to admit that she knows more about the magical uses of plants than I do. I hope I have not pestered her too much with my questions, but I have never seen someone use seaweed for so many things. I do hope she perfects her water-breathing potion soon. I wish to make more observations of the marine life around the reefs, but I tend to sink quite quickly. The fishing nets have pulled up many beautiful water-worms in this area, and I would so love to see them fly beneath the surface.

proxy.php

source

The feast was wonderful, and I am eager to go ashore at Sanagra. It has many unique lifeforms that I will be able to catalogue, and I never did find those sea legs.

I'm a creature of solitude. The ship wears on me until huddling in the crowsnest during a gale is a relief. I found the same comfort alone on a remote beach on the west shore of Sanagra. The view here gives a sense of ineffable scale, a sea and a sky larger than my whole world has been.

We're far north of where we left Liadain, but we've barely made a dent in the unknown. The navigator took the best available local maps but left me some. The islands to come are small and strange and dubiously inhabited. Haruspicy tells me there's magic that way, magic no-one else in the world has seen.

If I like it well enough, I may never come back.

Ailsa de Paor Kikwi

The minute it was safe to disembark, I ran for the dense jungle canopy I had spotted as we drew into port. It was always a fascinating experience cataloguing the plants within these biomes. It seems, however, I was slightly too hasty and forgot to buy a map, so I quite quickly got lost.

Thankfully, I befriended some of the local tribespeople, who imparted some of their natural knowledge onto me and then pointed me back on my way. I'm ever so excited to tell Kikwi about these discoveries, I even brought back a particularly pungent smelling, but colourful, beetle for him to see.

I hope he likes it.

proxy.php

(Source)

• Love
Reactions: Kikwi and Harrier
These little fellows gorge themselves on Sanagra's immense diversity of bright flowers and insects. One keeps following me around. I'm not sure how to tell it that I don't have friends or pets as a general rule. Not living ones, anyway.

Update: Since he seems intent on pursuing my company and patronage, I've named him Flickery and fed him several bugs.

Also I fought this necromancer in the hills, assimilated his books, put his servants to rest, bound his soul in a knife, and bundled up the best of his food to augment my rations in coming days. His name was Tsorake. His cheese collection is delicious.

Ailsa de Paor Kikwi

Sanagra continues to amaze, as does the generosity of my fellow adventurers. Ailsa, the kind herbalist, brought me an exquisite specimen! It is just barely larger than a thimble, and its shell glistens in the dazzling tropical sun. According to the island people, and most of the sailors on board, it also smells very strongly. Owlkin such as myself have an extremely limited sense of smell, although I do suppose it allows me to work with creatures such as this without inhibition. Still... I wonder how the world presents itself with this extra layer of detail. For the sake of my more sensitive companions, I have conducted much of my studies of this specimen on shore.

proxy.php

source

I managed to find a shop at the edge of town that has a great deal of scientific equipment and preserved specimens. The keeper is a funny woman with a painted face, who claims that these items are useful in magical ritual. I don't know about any of that, but it is a good place to resupply and research, as I have used up most of the collection vials that I set out with.

proxy.php

source

proxy.php

(source)

The Saddled Mermaid is probably the best dockside alehouse I've ever experienced. The women wear knives and like to use'em. The dice games balance skill and chance. The beer is not the worst. The liquor puts a new definition to the word 'exotic.'

proxy.php

(source)

I am happier than at any point in my adult life.

Flickery is a smart little fellow. He stays close and safe, curious though he is about the Cordumaire. The hold has its share of insects. To him, a fat Liadain cockroach is an exotic treat. I've placed some wards on him for safety in case his usefulness fails to sufficiently endear him to the crew.

We're setting off soon, north into loosely-charted waters. Our navigator, Betiya, is a remarkable Elven cartomancer and hoarder of maps. It's said that she mapped some of the great trade trails in the high passes of the Spine. Her magic is stunningly capable but also opaque. I have very little idea how she does what she does.

I have asked Signe if it would be alright if I observed Flickery while he follows her about the ship. While I must respect the privacy of my crewmates, the little dragon is so splendiferous that I can hardly contain my excitement!

On the last night before our departure, I met a nice woman while I was out collecting fireflies in the darkest part of the woods. She seemed concerned with my safety, and, not being native here, I allowed her to lead me back to town. She must meet a lot of travelers, because she kept mentioning all the outsiders who get lost around here and how I am one of the few to leave unharmed. Something about my "pure intentions." I am not entirely sure what she meant.

proxy.php

source

My indigenous friends told me about a beautiful hot-spring that's half a day's hike away from the port. While such things aren't usually my cup of herbal tea, I am truly interested in what makes these springs scarlet in colour!

However, I confess I lost my footing while trying to extract a sample of the water for analysis and ended up drenched in all my clothes. I collected a sample and embarrassedly rushed back to the ship.

I've been told I was quite the sight running through the harbour and back onto the ship. Apparently, I looked like a mad, bloodied, apparition. No wonder the sailors tried to exorcise me. Oh well.

proxy.php

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay
Reactions: Harrier and Kikwi
I'd decided it due time to leave the luxurious and grand palaces of Annuakat, and find something to do. Although i'd only been back for a week, the enclosure of it all sickened me. I've sailed my entire life, and it seemed appropriate I do a little.

I handed in false papers, using the name 'Torolf Pliskin', acting as a vagrant willing to pay his way on the expedition. I've used illusion magic to obscure my hands and face, and am using a large cloak to conceal my identify.

I haven't left the lower-hold since the beginning of the voyage, conjuring birds from outside to see where the voyage was taking me. I exited for the first time tonight, to be provided with the scenic view of the sea in darkness. Despite all the evil and death I have caused, the view of waves in moonlight will never cease to impress me.

proxy.php

Tsorake nearly killed me last night. I'd bound his soul to a knife, but he turned it against me and came close to slicing my throat in my hammock. I destroyed the knife properly and re-anchored him with better control. The object I chose was this axe, because it was available. To keep it from walking off from my gear, I've cast a minor glamour to make the handle feel dry, cracked, and splintery.

We have been back on the ship for several days now and I find myself thinking about the stories we were told as children about Blackbeak Freefeather, a great kenku sailor (or pirate, depending on who’s telling the story). It is said he could chase down any treasure and never lost so much as a feather in battle. It’s unclear how much of the stories are true, but I wonder if he ever looked out onto the rough seas and felt the excitement of discovery mix with the fear of the unknown.

proxy.php

We were lucky today. The lookout preparations we had in place had been quite lax so far. The navigator had warned the lookout that these seas were rife with sirens. Whilst he was busy slacking off the bosun was unlucky enough to be caught within their hypnotic dirges. Thankfully, I was on deck during it all.

It cost me a very potent stink potion, and the poop deck will likely smell like its namesake for a week now, but it quickly snapped the poor sailor out of his trance. Needless to say, such warnings might be taken a touch more seriously now.

proxy.php

(Source)

A storm reared up last night, the sirens' curse perhaps. If not for Ailsa de Paor, though, they could have done far more damage. If a siren enthralls the helmsman or captain, all manner of hell can break loose.

We took shelter in a beautiful high-walled cove. It turned out to offer abundant freshwater from a crystal-clear waterfall. The sailors have brought down well-fed birds and roasted some fat tasty bugs that I think Kikwi likes - I certainly like them. But the walls are too sheer to scale for more supplies. We're well stocked anyway. We'll put out to sea again at first light if the weather holds.

Also, I've been dreaming of a face...

Our stop at the cove has been lovely, especially after the terror of that last storm. I did not know that waves could be so high, and I kept myself well secured in the small room I was given for my work and supplies. The sand here is warm and the waters are so clear that I counted seventeen turtles as we rowed to shore.

The local insects are indeed delicious, and I asked the sailors to keep some uncooked so that I may study them further. While they will not survive onboard the ship, their sacrifice will help us understand their lives and their home for generations to come. I must say that my favorite dish was the roasted tern, and I kept a few of the feathers for my collection.

proxy.php

source

As dusk fell the waters became alight with thousands of blue stars. After rushing into the shallows I found that they are in fact tiny bioluminescent cephalopods. I have named them "shimmer squid."

proxy.php

source

I'll miss this nameless, uninhabited little island. A few of us took a small boat around the cliffs. I sketched a map, maybe the first time this island has ever been mapped. We found gold dust and tiny nuggets in a creek bed where it reached the ocean. Flickery enjoyed diving for them and was most disappointed that they weren't edible. Imagine a gold rush out here, a thousand miles north of Liadain! The Captain is leaving a handful of volunteers to prospect, plus the sailboat in case we never return. In theory they could make it back to Sanagra. But if all goes well, the Cordumaire will come back this way in a month or two, so that won't be necessary.

I think our reclusive passenger, Torolf Pliskin, is concealing his true appearance with illusions. It's obvious to me that he's a mage, but what sort is anyone's guess. It remains to be seen whether he's a threat or just a damaged man in need of new horizons.

This handsome gentleman swam under us no more than an hour after we put out to sea again.

Kikwi Ailsa de Paor Maho 'Jerik' Sparhawk

Last edited: