Private Tales Have you heard there's a rumour in Alliria?

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Gawyn didn't get to protest against the choice of the word trick; he had always had honourable intentions with this meal burn it! If not for still being able to feel the trickle of her emotions to let him know it was a humorous joke he might have made more effort to clear his honour. Instead he gave off the air of allowing her to soothe the hurt with her kisses; he even made a good show of giving a little playful grumble though it soon gave way to laughter as she denied him the ability to answer her other more serious question.

Pulling back just out of reach of her lips to take her chin between his rough calloused finger, he smiled.

"I would take you anywhere you wanted, Thea. But for this date? It will be a surprise."

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Althea
Thea let out a sharp sigh in protest of being denied more. Thoughts of how his lips might feel, how they might taste, had consumed her mind for so long and now that she knew, the addiction took hold of her quickly. Still, any chagrin she had felt was melted away by his words and she had to bite down on her lower lip to stop her grin from aching.

Her excitement was untethered. Her hope, brighter than it had been in years. She drew her fingers into his hair to comb it back from his face with a sigh. “Are you real?..” she asked, a small smile on her lips as she tilted her head, studying his face.

“And are you sure?..” she added, quieter. Was he sure that he chose her? Was he sure that he knew her well enough to make that choice? Was he sure he wasn’t going to break her more than she already was? Fear clawed at the back of her mind, her own cold little voice insisting that he’d soon come to his senses. She smiled apologetically and shook her head, suppressing a nervous laugh.

“I know I can be difficult.. And I’m not.. I’m not used to all of this, I’m not sure if I’m any good at it, but I’ve never really wanted to try before. I really want to try..”

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Gawyn
"I'm sure."

Am I not also difficult? I have a child! My best friend is a broken man who refuses to leave these walls. You don't deserve the baggage I come with...!

They were all thought he wanted to scream at her in order for her to save herself the trouble and effort that would come from loving him. But none of them came. He was too selfish.

"I've never been more sure of something," he murmured as he rested his forehead against hers. "Now... would you like some of that cake?"

• Cthuulove
Thea nodded at his answer, her teeth breaking through her lips as she smiled and drew a deep, easy breath, her nose grazing against his.

The reminder of cake prompted a quiet laugh.. "I would always like some cake." she answered, her hands on his cheeks as drew back enough to smile at him and steal one more lingering kiss before she stepped away, taking his hand to pull him up from his seat and toward the tempting tiers of cake with a quiet squeak of excitement.

She reached out a fingertip to skim along the top, gathering some of the frosting to taste with a soft groan of approval.

• Smug
Gawyn gave a huff of a laugh as he cut two good-sized portions of cake and put them onto plates.

"Let's eat them outside. Ilyena was right, it was a beautiful day out," he motioned for her to follow him through from the kitchen to the familiar sitting area which then led out into the gardens. Instead of stopping at the table however in order to eat he led her down through the gardens winding pathways until they reached a set of swings. He then sat down on one and passed over one of the plates as she took the other swing. Once she was settled he pushed himself back and let go so the swing rocked as he ate the cake.

He gave a small grunt.

"That's pretty bloody good."

• Smug
Thea's cheeks ached from smiling. She had felt the happiness of others countless times, but her own was a far different sensation entirely. It belonged to her, and rather than simply tingle along her skin it bloomed in her soul and soaked deep into her bones. Something that she perhaps had not known had been missing at all, was now there, filling a void with the warmth and light she had lost in herself long before she'd met him.

Gently swinging as she took tiny bites of cake, she 'hmm'd with a nod in agreement. It was deliciously sweet, and she knew this moment would be a memory just as sweet. She had a few of those with Gawyn now, she realised.

"Any other talents you've been hiding?" she smirked with a shake of her head. Thea was hopeless at most things, yet Gawyn had impressed her several times over.

Thea's appetite was particularly low, and after consuming a quarter of the slice she licked her lips and held out the plate toward him. "Room for more?"

• Thoughtful
Gawyn laughed. A real laugh. It felt so good it almost hurt.

"No, I'm afraid I am absolutely talentless in all other spheres of life," which was the honest truth. His wings shuffled and he half spread them to let the sun reach those feathers closer to his back. "Fighting and cooking are pretty valuable though, so I'll take it," he mused. Anything more and he might go ahead and start getting a bit of an ego. Aodhan, of course, would say he already had one from those talents alone.

"What about you? Any... secret skills?" his eyes twinkled with curiosity.

His laughter was her cure, she was sure of it. It was pure and free and real, and she'd forgotten what it was to laugh like that. She chuckled, glancing back at his wings as they spread out, but she was careful not to stare. Thea nodded in agreement as he considered the value in his skills, but the smile she wore faltered and tightened at the question he now turned back on her.

Her head shook slowly.. "I was learning to heal when I was working at the hospital.. Before." she added with a bob of her head as the rest went without saying. "I used to be a decent shot with a bow. My parents forbade me to play with weapons, but Tobi taught me." she sighed with a soft smile at the memory.

"And I suppose in recent years I got pretty good at sleight of hand.. But you already knew that." she smirked, recalling how they'd met.

• Thoughtful
"Yes," he mused. "I don't think I ever got back that ring you snatched at the same time as my purse."

He'd been more concerned about the purse at the time than a little trinket and in a way he had hoped she had squirrelled it away somewhere to remind her of him. But that train of thought was quickly derailed by the intrusive thought she might not be answering his question in the way he had meant.

"What about... things you enjoy doing, even if you feel you aren't skilled in it," he asked more carefully.

Thea's cheeks burned. She'd thought he'd never realised it was gone, that perhaps it hadn't meant enough to him to miss. It'd been too big for her to wear, and though she'd been offered coin for it, she had refused it, though she hadn't really known why. Instead, she'd kept it hidden, tucked inside her corset on the end of a long piece of black lace.

"I enjoyed flying.. I was fast. And I never took a single second of it for granted. It was difficult to find much joy in things after they took my wings." she smiled, but there was little mirth in it. "I used to sing, too. I don't know if I was any good at it, but the thing about singing people to death was that I rarely got any reviews.." she smirked and looked down as she pulled at the lace around her neck, drawing the ring from her bodice..

"I.. forgot about this.. Sorry." she admitted with another flush as she held it out to him.

• Smug
Gawyn held up his hand showing an identical ring once more sat upon his middle finger.

"You can keep it, a memento of your skilful light fingers," he smirked and tried not to laugh outright. He'd felt naked without the band and hadn't had the heart to bring it up before lest it ruin his hopes of her staying so he had simply had it remade. There was no emotional attachment to the old one, merely what is represented.

"You know... I could take you flying. If you... if you wanted, Thea."

• Wonder
Thea gave an awkward grimace in apology as he held up his hand. He had missed it enough to have another made, though she couldn't deny that she was quite pleased to keep the trinket.. "It must have meant something to you.. It was selfish of me not to give it back, I'm sorry." she bit down on her lip, clutching the hand against her chest.

His offer made her chest ache, but she smiled. She trusted him, more than anyone, and now... The thought of it made her toes curl inside her soft leather boots. "I'd like that.." she nodded, shyly curling a tress of hair around her ear.

• Cthuulove
Gawyn's wings slumped with relief; he hadn't meant for his offer to cause offence but the topic of lost wings was a sensitive thing. He couldn't have guessed which way Thea might react. The idea of taking her into the skies however filled him with a childish giddiness.

"Would you like to go now?" he offered and set down his finished plate on the grass. "It's a lovely day..." only a few white fluffy clouds marred the deepening blue. Hints of pinks and reds were just beginning to touch the edges warning of the oncoming evening. If they went now they might be able to catch the sunset.

"Yes." she answered quicker than even she had expected. She may not ever have her wings back, but this was as close as she would ever get. She would never trust anyone more than she trusted Gawyn, she was certain of that.

She stood, leaving the chair swinging from how swiftly she had done so, and both hands reached out toward the General's as she stood before him, her smile wide with excitement.

Gawyn's heart thundered in his chest like a love sick pup. If he wasn't careful he wouldn't be able to fly in a straight line with how giddy he felt. He took a deep breathe at the same moment he took her hands then pulled her in tight to his chest and spread his wings. They caught the mid afternoon sun which turned both sets a deeper shade of blues and purples.

"Ready?" he asked as he wrapped his arms about her waist, his eyes never leaving her face. With her final assurance only then would he beat his wings in one powerful downright flush and propel them into the sky. The manoeuvre was no small feat but Gawyn was not too arrogant to not admit he was showing off for her. Several powerful beats later and they were up above the rooftops then climbing higher towards the clouds. The entire time he kept her close, her feet balanced on top of his and her body flush against his own to keep them streamlined.

Eventually he evened out and then pulled her legs up into his arms so she could nestle against his chest and admire the view.

• Cthuulove
She would have envied his wings, even if she still wore her own on her back. They were strong and beautiful, and surprisingly soft. They suited him.

"Ready" she confirmed with a smile, her skin blooming with goosebumps and her blood rushing with adrenaline. Thea hadn't expected the strength that he pulled them into the air with, and she gave a startled yelp, her grip on him tightening. She laughed though, watching his wings as they lifted them higher above the city. Her eyes closed for a moment as she enjoyed the fresh, cool air beating against her face and combing through her hair, and her smile grew.

She couldn't believe she had ever fought being in his arms like this. She wasn't afraid to look down now, and she allowed herself to truly enjoy being in flight for the first time in so long. Her eyes welled, but her smile remained as she turned to press a soft kiss to his cheek.

• Cthuulove
Gawyn's smile split his face in two when she kissed his cheek. Usually, as he did around Aodhan, the general tried to keep a temper on his emotions so as to not overwhelm Thea's senses. But in that moment he forgot. With the warmth of the setting sun on his wings, the feeling of freedom the sky afforded them, and the feeling of rightness at having her pressed to him in this way... Gawyn struggled to think of a time before when the world had seemed to right.

He didn't speak as he swept them out from the tall mountain towards the open ocean as though he meant to chase the sun all the way into its watery bed. Below them dolphins broke the surface as they played and raced with his shadow. Once he had gone so far, Gawyn's wings tipped and he began to run alongside the coastline.

• Cthuulove
Thea's teeth latched gently onto her lower lip at the sensation of his emotions singing through her. She had never felt anything quite like it. The hand she settled against his chest drank it in, as though it could course through her veins like a drug, one which made her drowsy in the most pleasant of ways. She grinned as she brought down her own barrier, letting him feel what she did when he swept through the skies with her.

A static thrum of excitement caused her breath to catch as the dolphins breached the surface of the water below and she laughed against the wind. She watched his wings tilt and smiled up at his face, suffused with the warm light of the setting sun. There was little to say, for he could feel all that she felt, and she only sighed as she settled her head at the crook of his neck.

• Cthuulove
Gawyn wished he could fly with her all night but as the sun began to set, almost sinking beneath the waves in the distance, his wings finally protested their extended flight and he turned them back towards home. The city beneath them began to wink with lights as people lit the lanterns in the streets and up ahead at the domed residence Gawyn had taken up it looked like a beacon of light.

He took them back to the gardens where he landed softly and folded his wings once more against his back. He didn't immediately set Thea down but rather savoured the moment - the feeling of her - a while longer and then, wordlessly, leaned down to kiss her lips once more.

• Cthuulove
Thea was in no rush to set her feet back on solid ground. She smiled up at him and let her eyes close with a soft sigh as he kissed her, her fingers splaying across his stubbled jaw. She drew back just enough to graze her nose against his..

"Thank you." she said quietly, her shoulders rising and falling with a deep breath. "That was... This was.. perfect.." she laughed shyly under her breath, her cheeks warm. She glanced toward the manor, sure she glimpsed a shadow ducking out of sight.

"I think the others are home.." she smiled and reluctantly shifted to set her feet down. "I should get home.."

• Cry
Gawyn glanced up at the illuminated windows that spilled golden light out into the garden. Where they stood still hugged the shadows and afforded them some privacy and he found himself reluctant to give up that feeling of being truly alone with her. When would he get another of these moments? Reluctantly he let her slide from his arms but his hands fell to her hips and tugged her closer.

"That's probably wise," his words contradicted his actions and he leant down to graze his nose alongside hers. "Ilyena would be sad if you left without saying goodbye though, she was quite intent on getting you to read her a bedtime story. Apparently I don't do the voices right."

• Aww
Thea laughed under her breath, a dimple appearing at the end of a smirk. “Ilyena would be upset?…” she asked quietly, her brow quirking. Her hand remained on his face and her gaze swept it.. “If you want me to stay longer, you can just say so..” He was difficult to resist, most especially now. How she was ever going to be content to part from him, she didn’t know, she was just…trying not to impose by rushing into his life.

At the thought, she rose slowly up onto her tiptoes and drew his lips back to hers.. “Please just say so…” she sighed.

• Ctuhlu senpai
"Please stay," Gawyn's throat felt raw. Could he deny her anything? The thought should - did - worry and yet it also did not. He kissed her again, and then again, and once more to drive the breath from her lungs as his hand slid from her hip to cup her cheek. "Stay with me Thea. At least, for tonight. Though I confess... the longer you stay the harder I will find it to let you go," his eyes seemed to burn in the reflection of the torches that lit the gardens.

"Does that scare you?"

• Cthuloo
Thea nodded quickly, clearly taking no convincing what-so-ever. Could she deny him anything? The way he kissed her made her blood run hot and her toes curl in her slippers. His question did nothing to cool the warmth in her cheeks either..

Her eyes fixed on his as though she were searching for something.. "Yes.." she answered quietly. "But, I think, everything worth doing, starts with being scared.." her head tilted.. "Or, maybe this is just a really terrible idea.." she frowned with a nervous laugh under her breath, and pulled his mouth back to hers.

She wanted this to work more than anything, but in Thea's mind, everything was destined to fail. Such things were not meant for her, but, at least for tonight, he'd said. Tonight , she would happily give him, and tomorrow she would face the pain of leaving.

Last edited:
  • Smug
Why did her words make him excited that she was scared? Goddess, that was a wicked thought. But then, so were the other ideas rapidly coming to mind about having her stay the night. He felt like a boy with his first ever woman and tried to wrestle those thoughts under control. This needed to be done right. Slowly. Carefully. He would never forgive himself if his actions caused her to flee.

"I really did mean it about Ilyena,"
he said once he had reluctantly pulled back again. "She's had the book picked out all day," he glanced up towards the house where the lights were still on in the window he knew to be hers. Sliding his hands down to take Thea's in his own, he began to tug her back towards the house.

"You can even have another slice of cake if you like."