Private Tales Have you heard there's a rumour in Alliria?

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"There's nothing to thank me for," Gawyn offered a lopsided, roguish smile. In fact he felt almost as if he should be thanking her. It eased his debt towards Tobias within his heart and hoped his friend, whatever afterlife there was, could rest easy knowing his little sister was being taken care of now. Slowly he stood and stretched causing a bone in his back to give a series of little clicks which he sighed in relief at.

"There's not much here really... I can leave you to get settled in or I can show you the market if you'd like to get a few things for the place? Cups... towels..." he mused looking round. It was a blank canvas for her to do what she wanted with.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Althea
Thea let a breathy laugh tumble free as she let go of him, her eyes rising to meet his only to fall at the mercy of the way his lips curled like that. The words she'd been about to say stuck temporarily in her throat and she had to clear it to force them free.

"There's so much more than nothing." she smirked shyly and tucked a stray, snowy tress behind her ear.

Her brows rose as he offered to spend more time showing her around. The selfish part of her wanted to accept, but he'd already been away from home and his family for so long that the thought of how excited Ilyena had been to see him.

"I'm sure i'll manage.." she smiled.. "I could do with some rest anyway.." she nodded with a deep sigh, squeezing the key in her palm.

• Bless
Reactions: Gawyn
Gawyn studied her face before giving a slow nod and rising from his perch against the sofa. He wouldn't press her. He'd already tried to force her into the situation once and she had taken off and gotten hurt.

"Well, as long as you're sure," he said slowly as if to give her another chance to say otherwise. When she stuck to her guns however he gave a breezy, easy smile and nodded that he understood. "In that case I best go beg on my knees for forgiveness for abandoning Illyena," he chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. The young avariel could be more demanding than his advisors.

"If you need me for anything you know where I am," he reminded her as he walked to the door. "Enjoy your rest," and with that he offered a small wave them shut the door behind him with a soft click.

• Cthuulove
"I think that's wise.." Thea nodded, a bright smile warming her features as she laughed under her breath. "I think perhaps you should take her some sweet cakes.. Always worked for me." she shrugged, her lips twisting into a smirk.

She let out a soft breath of relief as he reminded her that she could go to him, feeling a little less alone already. Thea wasn't the type to trouble anyone, but the thought of parting ways... She was just, glad he'd said it.

"Thank you. I'll.. see you soon." she smiled at his wave and watched the door click shut. For a moment she simply stood there, still clutching the key in her hand as the wave of mixed emotions crashed into her now that she found herself alone. Free, but alone. She swallowed an ache and turned to go to the window, watching Gawyn walk down the hill, feeling something similar to what she knew he'd felt back in the infirmary when she'd intruded into his mind.

Guilt squashed whatever emotion she was trying to decipher and she stood, wandering along the hallway to the master bedroom. Her eyes fell on the incredibly large bed, built for two avariel and their wings. She felt suddenly cold at the sight of it and she tugged the fur blanket to wrap around herself before trudging back to the couch by the window instead.

There, she curled up, and waited for sleep to claim her.

• Cthuloo
Gawyn discovered just how much Illyena believed he needed to make up to her when he spent the next two days inside playing Princess Fairies. By the end of the second Aodhan had promised to watch her the following day as he took the sleeping angel to bed, chuckling to himself at the glittery state of his friend.

The General's wings were still sparkling the next morning even after three thorough showers. He caught a glint of it at the corner of his eye as he walked down the streets and quietly cursed to himself. No wonder Aodhan preferred to stay inside. If he glittered like this all the time he might pluck all the feathers off his wings. The sparkling blue wings garnered more than a few looks as he made his way through the market with a list in hand.

Definitely more than a few snickers too.

• Cthuulove
"This is the third time I've told you to go home and rest, child. I won't say it a fourth, you're not much use to anyone if you keel over with exhaustion now are you?" the sister asked her rhetorically and held up a hand as Thea had been about to speak.

"A da da da..." her head shook. "Go, rest, and for the Gods' sakes eat.." she added with a wave of her hand toward her stomach which was growling relentlessly. "Don't come back until tomorrow." she said definitively and turned away before Thea could object.

"Yes Sister.." she sighed to herself, hung up her apron, and headed outside. She hadn't been all too sure what time of day it was, but she assumed it had been almost two days since she'd been home. She wavered around on the hospital steps for a long moment, a little lost. Some glanced in her direction as they passed, and as usual they regarded her with curiosity but she was always glad when there was no immediate disgust.

A nudge at her shin made her look down at the snow-white cat brushing himself against her legs with a deep purr and she laughed under her breath. A local stray she'd named 'Peppermint' had taken a liking to her and seemed to have taken up residence in the hospital doorway. She bent to stroke the purring cat's head and had a brief conversation with him before the sister's voice barked her name, having spotted her outside. Thea flinched, and scooped the feline into her arms.

"Lets go find us something to eat, hm?" she grumbled. Even in the market's crowd, Gawyn stood out in stark contrast with those unusual blue wings of his. That and he had the kind of look that simply drew attention, and she found hers being dragged from the man who was impatiently waiting for her to pay for her honey breads.

'Ehem' the stout little man interrupted her staring, and the smile she'd unconsciously been wearing faltered as she looked back, flustered and dropping her coins and proceeding to knock over a basket of bread rolls as she tried to catch them. The man bellowed and the startled cat launched itself at his face, latching on and puffing up like a cloud with claws, and the merchant's screeching and howling quieted the rest of the marketplace as he flailed and crashed through his own stall, trying to free himself from the feline's grip.

Thea, smartly, started moving slowly back in attempt to submerge herself into the crowd..

• Haha
"Why is it, whenever there's a commotion, you're not far away?"

Gawyn had been picking up the lemons Aodhan wanted for his latest baking adventure when he had caught her scent on the breeze. He'd been trying to keep his distance from her in an effort to let her settle in and to not crowd her. She had run away once and whilst their time at the hospital had formed something inside his chest he couldn't quite shake - and didn't truly want to either - he couldn't be sure she harboured the same sentiments. But the tantalising smell of her wafted on a breeze that carried warm honeycakes from the bakers and spices from the Empires merchants was hard to ignore. Out the corner of his eye he watched her and a cat wander through the markets. His lips quirked at the way she bit her lip whilst she decided what it was she wanted to eat and couldn't help the smile when she finally settled on the sweet stall.

Before he had known it his feet were already carrying him in her direction, lemons forgotten.

It was why as she had stepped back it had only taken five paces for her to bump into the broad expanse of his back. His wings shuffled as he settled a hand gently on her back and spun her away, one pair of wings easily hiding her from view of the merchant.

"I'm not sure your home came with pet permissions, Miss Althea."

• Cthuloo
Thea jolted as she backed into something and found herself suddenly enveloped by soft, blue wings. The hand at the small of her back was jarring, as though the weight of it had been a missing piece, just as the scent of him all around her acted like some sedative, washing her with an instant calm and she eased, chuckling as he spun her away.

She leaned into him, ensuring that she wouldn't be seen, of course. The feathers brushed against her bare arms and shoulders, and she only just managed to resist brushing a cheek against their softness.

"A title and my whole name? Must be serious." she muttered quietly. The feline had quickly followed after Thea and was subsequently batting at Gawyn's wing. She could still hear the merchant cursing as she bit into the honey bread with a groan, her words muffled as she spoke.

"Oh.. He isn't a pet. His name is Peppermint, and he's the only friend I have. If you're going to make him sleep outside well, you're just as bad as they say."

• Sip
Gawyn glanced over his shoulder at the cat battering at his wings and lifted them a fraction so the small beast could zip through to join his mistress.

"Right. Not a pet," he repeated as the animal all but scaled her leg to get back to the comforting crook of her arm. Nobody paid the pair much attention as they wandered away from where the main commotion had been to the quieter part of town. The further they got Gawyn allowed himself to fold his wings back to a proper position against his spine so as not to encroach upon her space.

"I've been meaning to pop over but Ilyena has been busy making up for lost time," he motioned to the glitter on his feathers and grimaced. "How are you settling in?"

• Cthuloo
Thea glanced behind her, happy enough that she was well out of the market before walking beside Gawyn instead of using him as something to hide behind. Not that she hadn't appreciated the sanctuary of his wings.

A smile brightened her tired expression as he spoke of Ilyena, her grey eyes catching the little sparkles that came from his wings. She half wondered if Aodhan's wings had really sparkled on their own accord, or whether he'd just allowed the child to decorate them as Gawyn's now were.

"That's alright, she was owed that time. I'm glad she spent it well.." her lips twisted as she refrained from grinning. She returned her attention to the road as she considered the answer to his question. She wasn't particularly good at making friends any more. Having her wings taken from her, and then being manipulated, hurt and controlled for so long... She was clumsy and awkward and timid, and she was paranoid that people were either looking at her in disgust or amusement. The cat didn't, and so she held onto it a little tighter as it nibbled on a stray tress of snowy hair.

"I... Haven't been back to the house. I've been working, mostly." she shrugged. The house was beautiful, but the moment he left was the moment she realised how alone she was. She didn't miss Alliria, but she missed the girls she'd left behind. She'd never lived on her own before..

"I have some honey cakes if you'd like some tea.." she offered with a burning blush at how ridiculous she sounded.

• Aww
Gawyn's brow rose when he caught the hitch to her tone. It seemed quite unlike the matron to allow her to sleep over in the hospital let alone not take a break for so long. Suddenly his brows drew down into a frown as he quickly realised what exactly that meant. How hard she had probably been working herself. He was about to open his mouth and ask her directly when she blurted out her invitation and he found the words dying on his tongue. Slowly, he gave her a lopsided smile.

"I would love nothing more, Thea. You know... Ilyena wanted to throw a little tea party this Saturday. If you like honeycakes I hear it's the only thing that's going to be on the menu," he chuckled. The young avariel had a particularly sweet tooth.

She practically beamed up at him with a shy laugh, to which the cat shoved his paw against her chin as though to remind her to be a little more fucking sophisticated or at least find some semblance of composure. Thea cleared her throat and her gaze fell to the feline, collecting the offending paw from her face and the tress of her hair from his mouth.

"I'd like that.. If it's alright with Ilyena and Aodhan of course.." she added with a short nod and scratched at the cat's ears. "I do love honey cakes." she added with an awkward bob of her head.

The walk back to the house wasn't far, and the moment she stepped inside she let the cat down to explore as she rushed around tidying and lifting the blankets and pillow from the couch so that he could sit..

Gawyn didn't comment on the blanket or pillow on the sofa and the made bed. Given the growing dark circles under her eyes and what she had said about work made him wonder if the bed had ever been slept in.

"Ilyena would be glad of some female company, I'm sure," he chuckled as he sat down on the vacated sofa and strew an arm casually across the back. He watched as she then busied herself tidying other parts of her home with a bemused smile. "Aodhan and I try but we're no replacement for a mother or sister or aunt. I'm already dreading when she gets to the age she starts looking at boys," he rubbed a hand into his hair and ruffled it at the thought.

"She was very fond of you after your last visit."

• Bless
Thea knelt by the hearth and got to work on starting a flame for the tea, accidentally dropping the flint at the word 'mother'.. She glanced up at him, forcing an awkward laugh at the mention of boys, but her expression paused briefly before her brows rose.

"Fond of me?.." she asked, and after a moment she allowed herself to smile. "Oh.. Well I was quite fond of her too." she nodded once, and the flame caught the kindling with another swift strike. Thea pushed the kettle bar to rest above the little fire and got to her feet..

"And i'm sure Ilyena will be perfectly capable of handing herself.." she smirked.

The water didn't take long to boil, and Thea poured two cups of strained black tea into large mugs with a spoonful of honey in each which she set down on the table, next to the cakes. She sat down next to him and blew the steam from the top of her cup before drawing a careful sip.

"Thank you, for earlier.." she sighed and chuckled under her breath.

"Aye I think she will..." Gawyn grimaced. That's probably what he was most afraid of. She was already a little tyrant and Aodhan and he were no good at disciplining her. By the time she was old enough to go off tearing through the streets she would be a law unto herself. He took his mind off the thought of what she would do to the city when that time came by watching Thea prepare the tea, his lips curving slightly when she added in the honey.

"You're welcome," he blew on the hot cup between his hands. "Maseah means well but he had an awful temper on him when it comes to money. Tight fisted oaf," he shook his head.

"If you need money, Thea, you just have to ask the Matron for your wages you know."

Her cheeks burned as she whipped her head to look at him "What? No. N-no I paid, I had coin I just.. dropped it is all." she cleared her throat. "I wouldn't steal here.." Here. The place she was trying to make her home. "I promise." she added, feeling the need to reassure given the circumstances in how they'd met. It was a wonder how she'd made a good thief at all, but she had.

She sighed and yawned into her tea, pulling her feet up beside her. Her body ached right down to the bones. She hadn't worked herself like this in many years, but it served as a good distraction, and she hoped it would pay at least a little penance..

Peppermint pounced at her foot, making her flinch and spill a little of the tea with a hiss as a few drops scalded at her chest. Thea growled as she glared at the feline who'd wisely scarpered onto the armchair. "Would Ilyena like a cat?"

• Cthuloo
Gawyn said nothing as she spluttered her explanation. He didn't mind either way just that she was happy and safe and he couldn't always guarantee he would be in the right place at the right time to step in. But he took her promise with a solemn nod and said no more on the matter. He trusted her. Trusted her promise. He would just have to have a quiet word with the stall holder about keeping his temper under control.

The change of conversation brought out an unexpected laugh that came from deep within his diaphragm.

"Ilyena would love a kitten," he admitted. "But Aodhan is allergic," though whether that was code for didn't like he couldn't quite work out yet. He suspected he might be more concerned with how cats tended to want to play with the sparkles on his wings.

"I've been thinking of getting her a puppy for her birthday though," he confided and gently reached out to push a stray white strand of hair back behind her ear.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Thea laughed under her breath at the thought of Aodhan with a kitten, and her eyes lit up a little at the mention of a puppy. She'd been about to say something to the effect of that being a wonderful idea, but she hadn't expected his fingers to brush against the shell of her ear as he tucked away a rogue tress of her hair..

Her words stuck, leaving her slightly open-mouthed and staring. Being as pale as she was, the flush of her cheeks was always obvious, but not as painfully obvious as it was right now. A laugh burst suddenly from her as she realised how ridiculous she must look as she sat there blushing and gawking like an idiot. She'd never been this... affected, by anyone before. She'd never visibly swooned in front of anyone in her life, nor had she ever felt so unsure of herself.

She smiled shyly at him and pulled herself together with a quick nod. "I'm sure she'd love that.."

Abruptly Gawyn took his hand back.

"I apologise, that was very forward of me," he blinked as though shocked with himself. The fact was, he was. It had been a natural, thoughtless thing to reach out and tuck it away before it got into her eyes. He hadn't taken a moment to consider how intrusive such a gesture that would be. He cleared his throat and eased himself a little further along the couch to give her some space, an expression of guilt and humiliation twisting his features.

By Avariel rules she had ever right to skin him alive for the unasked for touch.

"P-perhaps you could come puppy shopping with me?"

• Ctuhlu senpai
“N-no, it’s..” she spoke over him, her head shaking as she sat up a little straighter. “You did save my life and help nurse me back to health for a few days.. It's... not like we're strangers." she shrugged and blinked. "I. Not that we're more than strangers.. I mean we are but we're not, y'know.." she wrinkled her nose in a grimace, as though the very thought of them being something more was outlandish and ridiculous, and then she grimaced at her own grimace. "Not that there's anything wrong with you, you're quite..pretty...actually..." her voice trailed off and she dragged her hand down her face.

"Fucking hell Thea.." she muttered into her hand with a huff.

"Yes. Yes I'd like to go puppy shopping with you." she answered quietly, still quite unable to look at him.

• Ctuhlu senpai
What was happening?

Words kept tumbling from her mouth making him feel hot and cold at the same time. He felt like a pillow case turned inside out and back again and found himself unable to say at the end of it all whether or not she liked him or not. Women were put on this earth to torment men, he was sure of it. Attempting to smooth his ruffled feathers and keep the colour from his cheek he cleared his throat and decided to continue as though the whole awkward conversation hadn't happened.

"When do you next have some time off?"

• Cthuloo
Why was this so difficult? Because she liked him. It was the very reason that she was here at all, facing the fears she'd held onto since she'd been cast out of her home. Facing her people, rather than staying in that elven village where she'd have no doubt been safe and happy.. She was here because he was here, not there, and the thought of potentially never seeing him again had made it feel difficult to breathe. Just like the thought of his rejection.. She wished she'd never opened that window into his emotions, where she was certain that she felt a blossom of feelings for her that he didn't want.

He was the General, he had a home and a daughter and other interests no doubt. Perhaps coming here was a bad idea. She wanted to be near him but at what cost? She was complicating things for him, and it was only going to make things harder for her, because right now she wanted something that she couldn't have.

What the fuck was she doing?...

Puppy shopping?

Right...

Coming here so that she knew he'd be close enough that she could see him every day if she wanted? Offering to be somewhat involved in Ilyena's life?... Those were some serious life choices to make for someone who had felt so put off by the prospect of feeling something.

She realised she'd been staring at her hands in silence for a long time, ignoring his question as though she hadn't heard it. After a mental kick, she cleared her throat and swallowed hard..

"Whenever the Matron yells at me and tells me to leave again.." she laughed quietly then drew in a breath. "Gawyn?... Perhaps, this isn't such a good idea. I don't want to be.." Just friends? A complication?..

"I don't want to force myself into your life like some stray you found.." she said with the slightest of bitter bites as she recalled her meeting with Isis.. "You shouldn't feel obliged to involve me in your life at all, and I shouldn't have expected...." Anything.

"You've done enough for me, and I'm grateful. But I can be.. selfish, and I'm sorry." she frowned, and bit down on her lip. It was difficult to explain any of this well enough without admitting that she'd intruded on his personal feelings, and she really couldn't handle him being angry at her again.

• Cry
Gawyn sat dumbfounded as he processed what it was she was saying and the layered emotions beneath. It was times like this he wished he had her or Aodhan's gifts. On the surface the words felt as though a gentle shove, that she wished to put some distance between them, but her tone and her expression said something else. Like it hurt her to say it. It left him more confused than he had been at any point since meeting her, a feat in itself. What was it about her that just muddled his senses.

"I don't think you're a stray, Thea," he said slowly with a frown, hoping that this was the right path to take through this maze of complicated, unspoken feelings. "I... I like spending time with you. Here I am a father, a leader, a punisher... but with you?" he shrugged uncomfortably and his eyes cut away from her face. A light blush graced his cheeks hidden partially by the three day stubble.

"If it's okay I would like to... spend time with you."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Thea blinked at him, her expression pausing for a moment before her brow furrowed slightly.. Was he being shy with her? She could have sworn that was a blush on his cheeks, and he was asking to spend time with her. Her.

"I.." her head shook gently.. "With me, what?" she asked. What was he with her? Fuck, what was going on?!

"I'm sorry I just.. I didn't think you wanted to spend more time with me. I'd like to, if you.. I just thought.." she stopped talking before she continued to ramble all fucking day. Gods, she'd never felt like so much of a mess in her life and now her cheeks were burning hot with embarrassment as she stumbled over her words.

Last edited:
  • Stressed
Kress, pull yourself together Gawyn!

He had never been this tongue tied and unsure around a woman before. Maybe it was because he was so keenly aware of what had happened the last time he had lost control around her and still paid for the guilt, or maybe it was because of who her brother was. Or maybe, a tiny voice whispered, it was because she ignited a fire in his core.

"Well then," he cleared his throat and thrust a hand through his unkept hair. "That settles it then," though what 'that' settled he wasn't really sure.

"Let's go puppy shopping,"
he announced and stood.

• Ctuhlu senpai