Private Tales Have you heard there's a rumour in Alliria?

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She'd been fully ready to pounce out of bed and snatch the book from his hands to see what filth he was reading when he explained, degraded. Her brows rose, then fell, the grin sliding from her face at how embarrassed he seemed.

"Oh.." her head tilted, and she gave a little huff. "Well, that's nowhere near as exciting as filth, but its nothing to feel ashamed about. If you want, I could help y--... Wait, then you've been pretending to read for hours, why?"

• Stressed
Reactions: Gawyn
"Not... pretending," he huffed, still somehow sinking further down in his chair. "Learning."

He glanced down at the book in his lap and weighed up his options. It couldn't really get worse than it was now and though his pride was rather dented she hadn't laughed at least. He took a deep breathe then turned the book round so she could see. Whilst quite a big book it was, in fact, illustrated and what little words there were in a child-friendly large front.

"It's one I picked up in Alliria for Ilyena. I thought if I could read it to her when I get back..." He trailed off. Saying it out loud made it sound even more stupid.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Althea
Ah fuck.

She felt somewhat terrible for making him feel so ashamed and yet.. He was trying to teach himself to read a children's book for his daughter and she wasn't sure she'd ever quite melted the way she was melting right now. She was fully aware of exactly how she was looking at him, more aware still of how dry her mouth was and how flushed her cheeks were. She'd always thought him handsome but, had she realised before quite how beautiful he was?

"That's.." her voice cracked a little and she had to clear her throat. "Really sweet." she offered a small smile and rubbed at her face.

"Well, I can help teach you. If you want, I mean." she pursed her lips awkwardly and flopped back into her pillows, wishing she hadn't asked.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Gawyn turned the book around to peer at it once more as an awkward silence descended. He didn't really know what to say to the fact she thought it was sweet. To him, it was ridiculous that he couldn't read well. He'd been alive for hundreds of years, how was it so hard? But when he had been younger books simply hadn't interested him. He'd been too eager to pick up a weapon like his mother. If he had his time again maybe he would do things differently but for now he would just have to patch up his mistakes.

Which sometimes meant accepting help.

Swallowing the last remnants of his bruised pride he stood up and stiffly walked over to the bed to join her there and passed her the book.

"I always get the e and i messed up in my head when I read..."

• Cthuulove
Thea scooted over a little to give him room to sit and she took the book from him with a light nod. "We can sort that." she smiled shyly and opened the book, her chest tightening a little more at the illustrations.

"So 'I' is the line, small ones have a dot, and e is this one.." she tapped "Sort of like a c but with another line. I suppose you're best practising hearing them, so 'I' sounds mostly like 'ih', like in w-i-ngs. And 'e' sounds like 'eh' like in.. L-e-gs." she settled back and cleared her throat again, avoiding looking at him.

She had never taught anyone how to read before, and things that seemed obvious were actually more complicated to explain than she'd realised. Still, it was part of her nature to have a calm way about her and Thea had the patience of a saint. For hours she read and picked apart words and sounds, explaining them as she went along, until eventually falling asleep against his shoulder.

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Gawyn learnt more about reading from the few hours with Thea than he had from months of toiling on his own. He hadn't been fussed about his lack of letters before Ilyena. He knew enough to get by, to send messages and receive them. That's all a soldier had ever really needed and he had had the patience of a youth when it came to doing something he had hated. But now... Seeing how Aodhin read to her each night and feeling the guilt when he said no to her when she asked... Well. So he listened attentively to every word Thea said and how to tell the difference between the strokes and the sounds they wanted to convey.

He was so absorbed in learning that he didn't notice her grow tired and was talking even as she finally dropped against his shoulder in sleep. Gawyn blinked then smiled softly down at her.

"Thank you," he murmured gently and pressed a kiss to the top of her hair. Then, ever so gently, he eased himself down into the bed with her tucked against his side and blew out the candles.

• Cthuulove
Perhaps it was the reading that settled her mind and let her sleep soundly..perhaps it had more to do with the security she subconsciously felt by being tucked in against his side. She didn't wake until morning, her brow furrowing at the sensation of her head rising and falling slowly. It took her a groggy moment to realise that what her head lay upon wasn't her pillow, but his chest; nowhere near as soft and strangely just as comfortable. Her arm had curled around his waist, and for a long moment she blinked, trying to recall the moment she'd fallen asleep.

It took her far longer than it should have to clear her throat and lift her head, her arm reluctantly recoiling and her cheeks a blooming blush. "Sorry.." she rumbled grittily and rubbed at her face before yawning into her hand..

"Morning."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Gawyn had woken a short time before Thea had but had found himself unable - and unwilling - to move her. She had looked so peaceful and content. It was not something he wanted to rob her of. After only a week of rest here, being properly fed and not terrified, she looked better than she had when he had first met her. Even with the exhaustion and healing still to go she had a certain glow. It was mesmermising.

Which was why his cheeks flamed a brilliant red when she suddenly woke an caught him staring.

"Morning," he replied gruffly and offered a lopsided smile. "Comfortable?"

• Ctuhlu senpai
She let out a breathy laugh as she stretched. "Mhm.." she answered with a lazy smirk. She couldn't exactly deny it, she'd slept so soundly and she didn't feel nearly as sore today. She sat herself up and ran her fingers through the waves of snowy hair, realising that it was sticking out at all angles.

"Did you sleep?" she asked quietly. "I hope I-"

"Ahem." The nurse pushed the door open and settled her disapproving gaze on Gawyn. Thea tried and failed not to grin and pulled her blanket up over her chin in an attempt to hide it.

• Scared
Gawyn threw himself out of the bed and landed in a crumpled, inelegant heap of limbs and feathers on the floor. He lay there stunned, in awe at his own reactions and lack of grace, before scrambling to his feet with cheeks blazing like a child who had been caught with his hands literally in the cookie jar.

"She was teaching me to r.... she fell asleep! I didn't want to...." each attempt at explanation died on his lips as the glare increased until it was as icy as a glacier from the northern-most peak of the Tundra. Gawyn swallowed and crab walked back to his chair whilst the nurse glided forward to look once more at the bandages.

"I believe... aside from rest," she said pointedly whilst pointedly not looking in the generals direction. "You are healed, Thea."

• Bless
Thea sunk low into her bed, her blankets pulled half way up her face to hide the trouble she was having trying not to laugh. Her cheeks burned and her eyes shifted back and forth between the two as Gawyn tried and failed to spit out explanation. She couldn't help but let out a quiet chuckle as he surrendered back to his chair, and she sat up for the nurse's inspection with an awkward clearing of her throat.

She let out a breath of relief at the assessment and nodded, reaching to take the woman's hand with a gentle squeeze. "Thank you for everything you've done." she glanced to Gawyn and back to her as she let her hand go.

"I'll be leaving today, but I will be sure to take it easy and rest plenty on my travels." she assured with a nervous smile.

Last edited:
  • Nervous
"Hm," the nurse clearly disapproved of the very idea Thea intended on travelling but there was little more she could do now the girl was no longer needing medical attention. She settled the blankets back over her anyway in the apparent hope that by doing so she might convince her another day of rest was what she needed. Gawyn wouldn't have argued if she had insisted but the nurse didn't seem to appreciate that fact for she gave him a dark look as she swept out of the room with a sniff.

Gawyn had managed to button his shirt back up at least.

"You should eat before we go," he nodded to the tray which the elf had left.

Thea sighed as she watched the elven woman leave, her shoulders slumping slightly. She didn't want them to think her ungrateful for rushing away, but it had been a lot for her to agree to the few days that she had (not that she'd had much choice). Thea had ended up in bed recovering from wounds more times than she'd care to admit, though in fairness, she hadn't hated this time quite as much as the others...

She looked back to Gawyn with a twist of her lips. "Gods, never thought I'd see you cower like a newborn lamb." she chuckled and reached for her bowl of hot porridge.

• Cthulhoo rage
Gawyn scowled at her from across the room.

"Just eat your porridge," he muttered, sulkily folding his arms over his chest. She was right, of course, but he didn't like that she was. He didn't like that the nurse had caught him in that position as it was. Or rather, he didn't like that he had acted like it was a sin to be in bed with her like that. It had felt natural to him. Right. Until her gaze... "I'll go grab some supplies and then we can head off," give her time to get dressed too, privately. As was right for he was a gentleman. He blew out a breath and then left with his backpack to go stash up on food.

He returned just under an hour later, bag bulging. He'd also cleaned up somewhere. His dark hair was still wet and he had on fresh, clean clothes. The sword was back on his side the first time since they had arrived and he looked ready for... anything.

"Are you ready?"

• Bless
Thea dropped her gaze as he scolded her, taking a spoonful of her porridge and lifting her eyes again as she swallowed, a small, reassuring smile on her lips. She gave a short nod at his plans, and watched him go with a quiet sigh of her own.

"Well done Thea." she murmured to herself around a mouthful of porridge. She hadn't meant to dent his pride. Perhaps it was a deflection of her own mortification of having fallen asleep on him.

An hour was enough time for her to finish her breakfast, wash, dress, and overthink absolutely everything. She was ready, at least physically in that she was dressed, but whether she was mentally ready was something she had neglected to consider over the past few days.

She was pacing, heart and mind racing and her legs weak underneath her. Her silver eyes settled on Gawyn with fret and she nodded, and then shook her head, and then nodded again.

"I think so. Yes. Am I?... I don't know. Maybe this isn't a good idea. I don't want to stay here alone, but if I.." she looked at him again and shook her head. "I don't want to make a mistake. Or be any trouble. Am I?" her hand ran into her snowy hair and she drew in a shaky breath to hold onto for a moment.

• Sip
"Hey," Gawyn's gaze softened when he caught sight of the state of distress Thea was in. He dropped his bag onto the chair that had been his favourite spot for the last week and crossed the room to her in two long strides. Firm yet soft hands gripped her upper arms so she would stop pacing and look at him. "Hey now, where's all this coming from?" he frowned, searching her gaze as though he could somehow search deeper, pierce into her heart and soul. Read her mind.

"You're not in any trouble. What happened in Thyasaari... it holds no wait in Oriasa. And you're not stuck there when you get there, the town isn't like home. It's connected to the outside world - you could leave any moment you wanted. You won't be dependent on people with wings," he frowned and then raised a hand to cup her cheek.

"But if you don't want to go Thea, I won't force you."

• Bless
She couldn't help the flinch when he gripped her arms. It was a force of habit, but she quickly let her tense muscles loosen as she looked up at him. Where was this coming from? From invading his emotions and finding that little bud of affection, and realising that she wanted it to grow, but she'd felt how nervous he'd felt about it and that filled her with doubt. She didn't deserve his affection and he didn't deserve the complications that she came with. He had a life and he was bringing her into something she didn't know if she would settle into.

She didn't want to hurt him. That, that was where this was.

Part of her wished he could read all of that from her eyes as he stared down at her like that. She wasn't the best at explaining her mind, or her heart. Her mouth had gone dry and she swallowed as his hand settled on her cheek. She was certain that he didn't have the gifts she did, and yet he had a way of calming her and she leaned into it.

'But if you don't want to go Thea, I won't force you.'

Choice. She had choice, but choices lead to mistakes and having her own choices meant that any mistakes would be entirely down to her. Gods she was confused. Afraid. Like some beaten animal trying to learn that not everyone would cause her suffering..

A breath shuddered from her lips and she let her head fall forward onto his chest, her fingers curling into his jacket. She'd been left alone for an hour and everything had descended into chaos. How pathetic. He doesn't need this level of crazy...

"I want to." she murmured finally. "I'm sorry i'm just, afraid." she huffed.

• Cry
Afraid.

His memories flittered back to that night where he had grabbed and shaken her, covered in blood, then shouted at her. He couldn't blame her for being afraid even if he had the sense that what she was afraid of wasn't him. At least... not him being violent. Kress he hoped it wasn't anyway because it would break his heart.

But he couldn't wait for her to be unafraid. And that broke him more.

"You'll never know if you don't try," he smiled faintly. "And if you really hate seeing my face that much after a week, I can bring you back here," she seemed to like it here.

• Cthuulove
"No I.." she caught the words before she could speak them and let out a sigh, her head shaking slowly. "No." she concluded.

"You're right. I'm just a little.. Fragile." she frowned, half smirking in her own embarrassment. "Sorry. I'm ready." she nodded with a tight smile in reassurance, hoping she didn't look as pathetic as she felt.

• Bless
Gawyn gave her another searching look and then nodded.

"If you're sure," he repeated, ensuring she knew she still held all the cards. He didn't know the ins and outs of what had happened to her in Alliria aside from a few snippets she had decided to share, but he had a good idea of the trauma she was working through still. On top of losing her wings. It still made him sick to think anyone would take advantage of a girl in her position like that. With one final cast about the room to make sure they had everything, he then led her from the hospital.

Once outside he turned and held out his hands, wings spreading in a bitter sweet painful stretch to get the blood moving.

"Let's get going."

• Bless
She let a long breath tumble out and nodded. Perhaps it was his reassurances, perhaps it was the way he looked at her. The very sight, scent and presence of him. Either way, she felt the tension slowly melt away and she offered him a sheepish smile in thanks.

"I'm sure." she said firmly, and set the decision in stone.

The elven nurse received a tight hug whether she liked it or not, and Thea said her thanks and goodbyes before heading outside with him. The air was cool and sweet and she smiled, wriggling off a little more of that tension. She'd almost forgotten how beautiful his wings were, and though it would likely always cause a dull twist in her stomach, she couldn't help but smile as she admired them.

"Right.. Flying." she recalled and laughed quietly. This time, she wouldn't squirm or fight or cower from it. She was what she was and she should've been grateful for the chance to fly again at all. Her cheeks warmed as she thought back on how awful she'd been with him, and she made sure to smile warmly as she took his hands.

"Aye, General." she smirked.

• Smug
Gawyn quirked a brow but said nothing about her mocking use of his title. Instead he gently slid one arm about her shoulders and the other behind her knees to scoop her up into his arms. Then, with one final glance back to the hospital to make sure no nurse was about to come ambush them in the last few seconds, he crouched and propelled them both into the sky with three powerful beats of his double set of wings. The resulting pressure of wind sent dust flying and flattened grass and flowers.

It wasn't long before they were up amongst the clouds once more and starting a course for Oriasa.

"I'm hoping it will take us three days at the most, but let me know if you need to stop."

• Cthuulove
There was no tension this time. She melted into his arms, now feeling quite accustomed to them and pleased to have the excuse to have them around her. Her arms wrapped around his neck and she watched his wings beat at the ground, watched the elven town grow smaller the higher they climbed.

Amongst the clouds she smiled at the soft, cool mist against her face, her head resting against his shoulder. "Mhmm." she answered dreamily, feeling her soul breathe. "I'm quite content to fly for as long as you can." she smiled.

Everything always looked so beautiful from above, but every now and then she'd find her gaze drifting back to his face. "It's nice to have wings again." she smiled brightly.

• Cthuloo
Gawyn returned her smile and found a knot in his chest easing. He had worried the whole journey might be an ordeal for her given her lack of wings. She hadn't been too happy about flying the first time, though, he admitted, he hadn't given her much choice in the matter. Now she'd had time to prepare both mentally and physically. She felt far more relaxed and snug against his chest.

Right. She felt right.

Promptly dressing himself down for having such a thought about his dead friends sister, Gawyn sped up.

As he estimated the journey took three days. It was on the fourth day just after sunrise that a warm current passed over the two travellers as they passed through the shield that hid Oriasa from view.

proxy.php

Oriasa had been the major port city of the Avariel population before it had been closed to the world. It had been how the Avariel's had imported a lot of the materials necessary to make the larger war machines it had needed to fight the dwarves, and as such it had needed to be a fortress in itself to withstand any attacks that might threaten its people, and its peoples trade.

"Welcome to my home," he murmured.

• Wonder
She had missed this. She wished she could let go of him, spread her own wings and fly beside him, but for the most part she found herself comfortably content, weightless in his arms and enjoying the views. Even as she curled up next to him for warmth at night, she dreamt of flying, and she woke eager to continue their journey.

Thea had never visited Oriasa, though she'd listened to her brother speak of it many times, yet as the city came into view she realised that he'd hardly done it justice. She'd expected to feel the little ball of anxiety in the pit of her stomach rise up when they reached their destination but there was no room for anything else but pure awe. She straightened in his arms, her eyes wide and bright as she drank in the city's beauty.

"Ohh.."
she gasped dreamily. "Gawyn, it's..." her words trailed off, or rather she couldn't think of the right one to use..

Thyasari was beautiful, of that there was little doubt, but this.. A rare, beaming smile brightened her features as she took it in, and for the first time she felt excitement rather than panic about being here and she laughed at her own dumbfoundment.

• Smug