Private Tales Have you heard there's a rumour in Alliria?

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Thea maintained her look of confusion as he sat down next to her, but when he had she lifted the spoon to let him inspect it a little closer, her finger pointing at the heap of pudding.. "There, look.." she frowned, before flicking it up at his nose with a wide grin.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Gawyn
Chocolate moose splattered over his nose with specs of cream landing on his cheeks.

In the split second where he had realised what had been about to happen, all Gawyn had been able to do was to close his eyes as it hurtled towards his face. For some time afterwards he sat there with his eyes still screwed shut as bits of chocolate dripped down his stoic face. Then, slowly, a smile crept up his face and he begun to laugh. A great, booming laugh that shook his shoulders.

• Smug
Reactions: Althea
Amusement sparkled like shards of broken glass in her eyes as she tried desperately not to laugh, her cheeks puffed and lips twisted, though she refrained until she was certain he'd taken it as well as she'd hoped. Part of her still worried about that temper she'd seen in him, but she was determined to try and lighten the mood again, and never mention that particular incident again.

She was relieved when he finally laughed, and the one she'd been holding burst from her chest and caused her body to ache, but she didn't care. It felt nice to laugh about something, to be silly and childish and remember that not everything had to be so serious and downright miserable. She'd forgotten about those little things a long time ago..

"I'm sorry..." she said, squeezing the words between her laughter and winces. "I couldn't resist.." she chuckled, and lifted a fingertip to his nose to wipe a little of the chocolate away before licking it from her finger with a grin.

• Haha
It was only her injuries that kept him from retaliating. What he desperately wanted to do was upend the rest of the pot on her head or, better yet, find out where she was ticklish so he could launch repeat assaults. Seeing her wince between her laughs kept his hands to himself though. Later, he promised silently. When she was better and had forgotten this little incident - it would make it all the more sweeter.

Gawyn wiped two fingers over his own nose to get the majority of the pudding off then stuck both in his mouth too in a mirroring of her own actions.

"You're lucky the nurse didn't walk in, we'd both be in trouble," he chuckled.

• Smug
Thea brushed away the tears that she'd laughed onto her cheeks, her jaw aching from the shit-eating grin on her face.

"Hm.." she nodded, her chuckles slowly dwindling. "Well, you would be.." she mused, and once again she found herself staring at him. He was unfathomably beautiful, but with chocolate pudding and a smile that she had put there?

She cleared her throat and lifted her hand to his cheek. "Missed a bit." she smirked, her thumb brushing a little splash of pudding from the corner of his mouth. Her heart stumbled as she realised what she was doing and she quickly recoiled with an apologetic laugh under her breath.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Gawyn recoiled at the same moment she did with his own awkward smile and cough, rubbing at the back of his neck.

"I'll be finding pudding for days until I manage to get a shower, I'm sure," he flashed her another grin and then retreated back to the safety of the armchair. What had he been thinking? Well, he knew what he had been thinking. Of nothing sensible that was what. Just about how her smile made her eyes dance like the surface of a lake in the summer sun. He could have drowned himself in them and very nearly had. Gawyn shook himself sternly: he was not some errant school-boy with no self control. It had only been yesterday where he had wondered if she would live at all and now he was thinking of her like... He was almost disgusted with himself.

"I think you'll like it here," Gawyn changed the subject smoothly. "Once you get a chance to be outdoors. I'll show you around the parts I remember if they're still here."

• Cthuulove
At least a little colour had returned to her face...

She laughed under her breath and bit on her lip at his fleeting grin before he retreated from her. What was she thinking? She'd been dreading the day of ever seeing one of her own kind again, in some scenarios she imagined hiding, in others she imagined unleashing her anger, but in none had she ever considered sleeping in their arms and having pudding fights.. Or laughing with them. Or finding her stomach twisting at the thought of him leaving her here..

She gave a small smile as he spoke again, her head nodding.. "I'm sure I will.." she agreed, hiding her trepidation behind a mask of intrigue as she looked to the window again.

"Though, the nurse said it would be a few days before I can. Don't you have to get back to your people?" she asked as casually as she could.

• Ctuhlu senpai
"Aodhin can look after things for me for a while, this isn't the first time I've been away," he settled back into his armchair and then, spying a stack of books that had been left on the beside table beside a vase of roses, plucked the top one off the pile and begun to flick through its pages. Clearly, the General had no intentions of moving any time soon. If that was in any further doubt he kicked off his boots and propped his feet up on the edge of the bed.

"It's quite handy being able to hide your wings. Unlike Thysari we've kept in touch with the world for the last few centuries."

• Cthuloo
Thea's cheeks dimpled in a grin as she watched him pick up the book and make himself comfortable. The ease she felt was immediate, that he'd keep her company whilst she healed and even after that, he'd show her around. After that? Well she didn't have to worry about that for a few more days at least.

She carefully nestled down into the stack of pillows and let out a deep sigh as she got herself comfortable. "Hm.." she murmured. "Not something I need to worry about any more.." she laughed mirthlessly under her breath and cleared her throat apologetically at the poor joke.

Unlike Thysari we've kept in touch with the world for the last few centuries..

"But yes.. I suppose that is something I have to be grateful for... I'll be happy if I never set eyes on Alliria again." she sighed, but she smiled at the thought that she now would never have to.

"So.. no wife? Children?.." she asked, her tone a little too casual.

• Smug
Gawyn crooked a brow and raised his eyes over the edge of the book to look at her.

"No wife," he searched her eyes for whether or not that was the answer she wanted. Why do I care? He wondered to himself as soon as he realised what it was he was doing. He dropped his gaze back to the book though he couldn't see the words or diagrams in front of him. The next bit was a little harder to say. "I do have a child, one child," he shut the book and set it on his lap.

"Her mother and father were friends of mine and were part of the reason Oriasa survived without Thyasari. They died in a tragic accident a few years ago so I took their child in. She's still young, only six," in Avariel terms that meant barely out of swaddling clothes. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Aodhin and I have been making a joint go of things. It's been... interesting," he laughed despite himself.

• Wonder
Her eyes shifted toward him in time to catch him looking over that book and she looked back to the window with a slight nod at his answer. It seemed an effort not to smile, but the urge disappeared as he said he had a child and she looked at him with a raised brow.

"Oh." And then he explained, and her tone changed. "Oh.." she stared at him, smiling softly at his laughter, the sound of it vibrating through her hollow bones.

"I'm sorry about your friends.." she frowned. "And it was kind of you to take their daughter in as your own.. But.." she frowned, suddenly feeling more than guilty for not asking sooner, for assuming he had no place better to be than by her bedside. "I'm sure she misses you, Gawyn.. You should go back home, I'll be fine here. She needs you more than I do.." she sighed.

• Bless
Gawyn shook his head with a fond smile and made no move to go. Instead he just trailed his fingers over the embossing on the leather cover in the shape of a griffin.

"Aodhin is her favourite anyway," not strictly true but Ilyena did love him to pieces. His wings that looked like crushed diamonds that made him hide from the world for fear of being stared at, were her favourite. She always had a feather of his - and Gawyn's - in her hair but it was Aodhin's she treasured most and hung above her bed at night. "As long as I bring her a present back she will be content and I can promise she's probably not noticed I am gone yet," he chuckled.

"Would you like to see a picture?" he asked suddenly and his eyes took on a rather vulnerable look.

• Stressed
She rolled her eyes and gave a smirk at him. "I'm sure that's not true." she laughed under her breath, but appreciated that he was likely trying to make her feel less guilty about delaying his return home. Now that she knew of his adopted daughter she knew that he really would have to return.. Had she really hoped he'd have stayed here, for her?

Would you like to see a picture?

Gods.
She wished he wouldn't look at her like that. Her mouth had gone instantly dry and she had to swallow before answering with a nod. "Yes, I would.. What's her name?" she asked.

• Cthuulove
"Ilyena," he smiled and then rose to walk over to his bag which he had left propped in the far corner. In a sweep of feathers he crouched and begun to rummage through his possessions. Gawyn drew out a book and flickered through the pages to find the canvas he had wedged between the pages for safe keeping. When he rose he carried it back to her with as much care as if he had been holding the child herself. He sat down once more on the bed and then showed her.

The girl couldn't look more different to Gawyn if the Creator had tried. With light wheat-colour hair and eyes a deep brown with flecks of gold the artist had captured perfectly. Her nose was a squashed almost button thing and her cheeks were still plump with her youth. Two dimples punctured them due to the large grin she wore.

"She favours her father more than her mother, but I see her in the child's temper," he chuckled again.

• Bless
"Ilyena.." she repeated fondly, as though she knew the child herself without ever having met her. Her chest ached as she watched the care he took over the image, and as she looked at it she laughed softly. "She's beautiful.." Thea whispered, her lashes wet with unshed tears.

"Really, Gawyn." she cleared her throat and frowned. "You should get back to them. Cherish your daughter. I appreciate your offer to stay with me but I will be fine here on my own.. You have a life to return to and I have a new one to start."

• Cry
Were her tears one of sadness or something else? It was hard to tell when she laughed as they glistened in her eyes unshed and the way she smiled at the portrait. Though when it came to children women could be odd. The amount of lingering looks both he and Aodhin had had since taking Ilyena under their wings had been a surprise and not necessarily a good one.

"I'll stay until you can at least go outside again," he said firmly. "I promised to show you around and I won't have even been gone two weeks by the time I get back if I do. I've been away for a month before," a hard long month right near the start of Ilyena joining their home but it had been necessary for their unsteady trade agreements. He tucked the portrait back into the book and bit the inside of his cheek before asking for the third time.

"You could still come back with me Thea. Make your new life there."

It was a struggle to keep the tears from falling but she forced them back, determined to stop feeling so damned sorry for herself.

She looked up at him with a tired expression as he made the offer again, but she remained quiet for a long moment, as though considering.

She didn’t think she could face more of them. Gawyn had been compassionate, but that didn’t mean they all would. Many would likely have known her parents, her brother, maybe even her..

“I.. I’ll think about it, just not today.” She frowned and dropped her gaze. It was more than she'd been willing to do before now, but before now she hadn't realised just how much she didn't want him to leave her, or just how impossible it would be to even consider convincing him not to. He had to go back, that was his only choice and now she had to make hers...but not today.

• Cry
Gawyn managed to keep himself from sighing. At least this time he believed she would give it some thought though there was still a niggling doubt in the back of his mind that made him wonder if she wouldn't run the moment she could. She might have had her wings slashed but he had never met an Avariel more keen to never settle before.

"They wouldn't judge you, you know," he said and stood to go and put his book and its precious cargo back into the bag. "Oriasa is not Thyasari and it is filled with men and women who are scarred from the experience of what happened not to mention the war," it was why they had not been able to keep away from the world as they Thyasarians had. He had had veterans of war physically unable to pick up the plough and farm, veterans who had needed medical help beyond what they had had with them. They had had to rely on the outside world and Gawyn thought they were better off for it.

He returned to sit in his armchair by her bedside.

"I know Aodhin would enjoy having another empath around too."

The bridge of her nose creased with the brief frown she wore, her grey eyes dull with distant thought as she gazed absently at her hands. The thought terrified her, but she wasn't sure what terrified her more. She thought she could start a new life on her own, anywhere but Alliria, and now that she was here in a place she could build her own life, why did she feel so hollow at the thought of being left here?

Her eyes rose to his face as he sat down in the armchair and she let a pregnant silence proceed his words, her lips twisting in consternation. "I will think on it." she sighed, unable to force an agreement past her lips. She did force a small smile though..

The days in bed passed far quicker than they should have. Too quick because she knew his departure was imminent and she'd be faced with the decision she'd promised she'd think about. She did everything she could to avoid it, but today she had managed to walk without much struggle and the nurse had agreed that she could go outside so long as she took it easy.

Thea bathed and dressed in some fresh clothes, a dove grey tunic and leggings and a soft white woollen coat. She was still a little slow on her feet, every movement felt like twice the effort it had done a week ago, but her strength was building and she was certain a walk would do her good.

"Well. You promised a tour." she smiled shyly to Gawyn as she stepped out of her room, glad to finally be in his company washed and smelling of milk and honey rather than whatever putrid stuff the nurse had been putting on her healing wounds. The dark circles underneath her eyes were gone thanks to a few good nights of rest, and a rosy hue had returned to her lips and cheeks.

"Shall we?"

• Popcorn
Gawyn was strangely nervous as he waited outside her rooms to finish bathing and dressing. He tugged at his velvet blue jacket to straighten it for the hundredth time and flicked an imagined bit of lint off his shoulders. In their small bubble they had created whilst she healed of days spent of idle chatter and quiet reading or long luxurious sleeps he had known where he stood with her. Had become her friend - or at least hoped he had - and most certainly had taken on the role of nurse to ensure she healed. But outside? In the world? Would their friendship continue out here or would she see the gates of freedom and leave at the first chance. He tried to tell himself that it didn't matter if she did, that she had every right to go wherever she pleased to start her new life and that he had done all he could do.

It just hurt.

Her appearance roused him from his wallowing and he pushed off from the wall where he had been leaning his wings folding in against his back.

"Just remember, if you feel like it's too much we come straight back," the nurse had been quite firm on the matter and Gawyn was quick to agree with her. Then, like a gentleman, he held out his arm for her to take a hold of. "I thought I'd show you the gardens first."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Thea's eyes rolled, though her lips curled into a smirk. "Yes yes, I know, thank you nurse." she laughed quietly and reached to take his arm with a smile.

"Sounds perfect." she nodded in agreement, her teeth latching onto her lower lip to chew on it in the genuine excitement she felt to get outside in the fresh air. Her fingers curled against the soft velvet sleeve of his jacket and she looked up at it, her brow lifting.

"Are you trying to impress me, General?.." she asked with amusement in her tone.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Gawyn made sure to keep his steps small to match her own rather than great strides that would have her jogging to keep up. It meant the journey took longer but he didn't mind so much, especially once they were out of the hospital and could enjoy the weak winter sun that had appeared for the day. He chuckled at her question but at least had the decency to turn a little pink too.

"No..." though he hadn't thought it would matter too much if she did think it was for her. "You... err... I was wearing my only other jacket when I brought you here and they couldn't get the blood out," his smile faltered a little at the memory but he shook it off. "It doesn't matter it was old anyway and it gives me another excuse to look pretty for you," he flashed her a boyish grin.

The gardens weren't too far from the hospital. A short stroll saw them on the entrance of a large dome the door to which he pushed open and stood aside to let her go first. Inside the temperature had been kept just right to allow for the large parklands to stay permanently in full bloom. Colours of all shades assaulted the senses along with aromas from a variety of plant not all native to this area. Groups of people had set up blankets in various spots and one gentleman had set up an easel on which to paint the scene before him. Gawyn led her along the designated path slowly so she could take it all in.

"They all it the Winter Gardens though it is in bloom all year round."

• Cthuulove
"Oh.." She winced slightly and looked up at him apologetically. "Sorry.. But you do look pretty." she smiled, her own words causing her to laugh awkwardly, that grin of his catching her off guard.

The chilled breeze caressed her face and ruffled playfully through her snowy waves. A deep sigh tumbled from her lips and he'd no doubt feel her relief and sense of calm contentment as she held onto his arm, but it quickly shifted to awe as she stepped into the gardens.

Her smile grew until she was beaming as she took it all in, drawing deep breaths. "It's beautiful." she said softly, trying not to disturb the tranquility that hung in the air. "I used to visit the gardens in Thyasari when I'd leave the infirmary. It always brought me peace.." she smiled fondly at the memory.

• Cthuulove
"I remember," a tender smile graced his lips and softened the usual hard expression he wore. The gardens were a beautiful paradise, and oasis in the middle of a buzzing city. Or at least it had been. Its silence probably sounded all the worse since they had shut their doors.

"Can I ask... what was it like? Thyasari closed? All I can remember is it busy and full of life, I can't imagine..." He frowned. It was hard to think of his home in that manner but he had always been curious. Had imagined what they might use the Lower City for if not for trade and welcoming the people of Arethil. The soldiers surely would have turned it into something useful or had they really left that great piece of architecture fall to ruin?

• Cthuloo
Thea looked up at him, a distant look glazing her eyes as she considered his question, and she returned her gaze to the path ahead. "It was.. Cold." she frowned, but there was more meaning to the word than temperature. "Like its heart had been torn out.. Everyone who left Thyasari before the doors were closed, left someone behind to worry or mourn. Living there, as an empath.." she laughed under her breath, recalling the sorrow and rage and guilt..

"Perhaps what happened to me was a blessing.." she murmured and rolled her shoulders as she felt that phantom itch at her back that would once have resulted in a ruffle of white feathers. "I don't think it'll ever be the same place as it was before.."

• Cry