Completed Freedom Within A Cage

Rhidian

The Bestest Buddy
Character Biography
Link
"If you say 'try again' one more time, I think I may just let go and take out this whole building with me. What do you say, Proctor Urahil?" Rhidian's patience was unusually thin all morning, and it was not to do with his sleep. A month he had been here, at the Academy, and they had stuck him with the last Proctor that was willing to help their newest Initiate how to manifest his magic, and be subjected potential death.

Urahil was a healer. At first, he had thought, Kress, maybe there will be progress? That he would want to learn how to be this weapon he had potential of being. Perrine Urahil had a way of making one feel as if they had the control and means to achieve something. The other Proctors wanted quick results, and he was stubborn to give them such satisfaction.

But it had been a month, and he still could not replicate the destruction he caused. He knew Urahil's insistence was not on her end, that there was another voice or two stressing her to get the results they wanted.

"Even if you did take down this building, the Academy will still exist. Caddel would be put to work to recreate everything to how it used to be, nooks and crannies and all inbetween, except for the dead Initiates still in class, and the Proctors." But Urahil did not ask him to try again. She simply wandered to her desk and leaned on it. "We can keep wasting their time. Believe me, I am not eager to see you explode and come alive again with the next breath, but I am curious to see how you heal."

"Go for a walk. Relax and cool down. I pushed you too much this morning. Maybe give another Proctor a hard time and complain to really sell that we did try."
And Urahil did not wait for him to make his leave before departing either.

Rhidian had a whole day to himself now. The class he had been pushed into were given the day off as majority were on missions, and who remained were busy preparing for the practice exams. It was all too odd for him to be thrown from daily and strict routines on the Guard, to navigating academics and magic.

Ducking out of the building he previously threatened to reduce to rubble, Rhid shoved his hands into his pockets and slowly meandered about the grounds.

Could not hurt to smile to the first face he sees. It was hard making friends, or at least it was on his end. Being an Initiate was nothing like being a Recruit. He sorely missed just hanging out, being surrounded by his people when he was now expected to be one of Anir's greatest weapons.

Like his father said, he would be the first Vaughn to be a Dreadlord.

Tapping that thin wooden cane on the ground in front of him pulled him forward as his feet strode forward, hoping he did not trip over anything. Alistair, accustomed to long confident strides in his walking, has shortened them into almost shuffling. Gods damn it, this was maddening, he felt like a dolphin with this constant tapping.

A surge of annoyance urged him to bring some magic into his eyes or tattoos that would allow him to see once again, but he stopped himself by telling him this was a waste of magic. He had been dumb enough to permanently blind himself during his journey into Luminore. He needed to learn how to live properly without vision so that he could save magic for when it was truly important.

His visit to the Academy on this day was nothing more than another medical checkup, which the healers here were most suited to performing. He already knew the results, so it was no surprise, that directly connecting with the magical nexus in the ruins of Luminore was too much for him. He was lucky he was not dead.

As he turned a corner, he stopped himself just in time as he felt his cane snap around against something that was not a wall. There was some give to the hit so...a person? That was strange, he could usually see the students at the Academy, there magical auras lit up his new arcane senses.

"Hello? Sorry about that. I didn't see you there."

Rhidian

• Popcorn
Reactions: Rhidian
Tears welled up in his eyes as a sharp object tapped at his ankle bone a little too hard. Rhidian inhaled through his teeth at the pain that now shot up, and the poor Initiate held his foot and hopped around as he heard the other apologise.

"Nah, you're fine!" Rhidian winced, smiling through the pain but when he lifted his gaze, he began to see how it all made sense now. It was no pure accident by someone not paying attention; in fact this must be somewhat of an occurrence for the man that found Rhidian's exposed ankle. He made sure to pull up his socks now, cursing himself for opting for loafer shoes he did not mind getting destroyed if he did manage some sort of detonation.

"Sorry, I should have kept my head up. Can I help you, at least? Help direct you somewhere?" Rhidian still felt out of place here. It was not familiar territory, not even after the month he had been here already. "I'm Rhidian Vaughn. Initiate." Awkwardly, he lifted his hand for a shake, hesitating if the gesture was a little tone deaf...

Alistair Krixus

An initiate? And a well-mannered one, at that. That was a rare occurrence at the Academy. He felt a little bit worse for accidentally smacking him in the ankle with his cane. He pulled back his cane and his eyes flashed with a soft blue color for the briefest moments.

Those quick seconds allowed Alistair to get a look at the person standing before him. He wasn't that young. He at least knew some of the faces of the initiates in the older classes as he had served as a guest lecturer more than once. Was he a late arrival?

"Thank you, I'm visiting with Perrine Urahil for an appointment, but I arrived rather early, so I am just enjoying the Academy grounds...Alistair Krixus, a pleasure to meet you."

His hand reached out and shook Rhidian's own hand, firmly.

Rhidian

• Yay
If Alistair could see the bewilderment turned suspicious turned disturbed expressions that crossed over his facade in those few seconds of him shaking his hand, then Rhidian might take another crack at learning the craft that deemed him worthy as a Dreadlord Initiate.

"Krixus... a name not many would hear. It's familiar, to say the least." It was rare for those to hear of the present murmurs of those in Anirian society, Greater or lesser. Vel Hetren was almost a world's away, and the distance between it and Vel Anir was enough breathing space. But now he was here, thrown into the thick of it. He was not some orphan or stolen child, but did Rhidian feel lousy in comparison to the renown some had in this very Academy.

"Urahil ain't bad for a Proctor. Lousy class she teaches, but you get her talking about the best way to do critical damage to someone... she's alright is what I am trying to say. I just left a lesson with her. I seem to have problems manifesting my magic that got me a spot here." Is that why Proctor Urahil left so quickly? A quick break before getting to the appointment with Alistair?

"Are you an Initiate?' Rhidian asked, slowly moving back where he had come from. He moved slowly enough to give Alistair a moment to follow, intending on accompanying him to where the Proctor's office was.

Alistair Krixus

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Alistair Krixus
Alistair waived off the first comment. "Ah yes, my family name has been featured in some gossip recently both good and bad, but I hope mostly good."

He heard the young man stepping away and was quick to follow. the cane once again reaching out to survey his surroundings, but he was careful to avoid the area where he heard Rhidian's steps. "Yes, my eyesight is likely gone for good given the unique nature in which I lost it, but higher-ups demanded I at least go get it checked out. I figured that if I had to then I would trust Proctor Urahil's guidance."

His own problems were usually at the forefront of his mind, but it was actually Rhidian's mention of his magical problems that caught Alistair's attention. If he was telling the truth, then Alistair was not seeing any magical leakage into an aura, which was rare.

"And no, I am not an initiate. I was a part of the most recent graduating class here...May I impose on you a request? Would you be so kind as to try and use your magic now, in front of me?"

Rhidian

• Nervous
Rhidian did not care if Alistair somehow could see his grimace, as deep as it was, pull at his face as he realised he was just asked to perform magic. He was clumsy at best, but had gotten the hang of it by the end of his training with the Proctor.

"Alright, no pressure." He chuckled nervously, shaking his arms to relieve the jitters for the daunting task ahead. Slowing his pace to concentrate on summoning the inferno waiting inside him, Rhidian focused on slowing the process. For someone that detonated once in his life, he had learned great control for the power that threatened to combust quickly. Rhidian could feel his heart quicken, his chest both feeling light and heavy as his magic collected there, beneath his ribs. For a good minute, he kept it brewing, breathing in and out slowly to contain the magic like so.

"This is the point I can get to when I do the training sessions." He explained, slowly releasing the pressure with an extended exhale. Sweat collected at his brow and the back of his neck, and once the magic dissipated, Rhidian wiped it away. "Mostly, my sessions with Proctor Urahil is talking about my state of mind when I draw more power. I can't... quite get there, to blow up like the other powers that may be want me to."

Rhidian looked at Alistair, really looked at him.

"Guess what makes or breaks an Initiate is what they are willing to sacrifice." The young man let out a half heart laugh. "I have to accept death in order to explode. But knowing that, and the what if... what if I don't come back... really puts a damper on passing the test."

Alistair Krixus

As soon as Rhidian began to call on his magical powers, for the first time Alistair truly looked at him. The man who had just been blind now looked at Rhidian with a sense of depth that most had never experienced.

What Alistair saw impressed him. Trying to explain some of the magical auras that he saw these days was difficult. It was a mixture of sight, feel, and, on some rare occasions smells. He felt pressure, and could see the pulse of magic that wanted to be released from Rhidian...it just wasn't there yet.

Alistair leaned in a little closer as he looked intently at Rhidian's chest.

"Magic can be mental and emotional, but it can sometimes just be also how you perceive your own magic...Sacrifice is often shown as an all-or-nothing decision at the Academy, but you can sacrifice many things."

Alistair paused and let the silence hang in the air, hoping his recently dull grey gaze emphasized his point.

"So you said you have blown up before? Incredible, so you have some sort of internal healing system?"

He only now seemed to realize his forwardness and took a step back. "My apologies, magical theory is one of my passions."

Rhidian

• Thoughtful
Whereas Rhidian had been short with the other Proctors, and at times with Urahil, he was surprised he did not mind the questioning from Krixus.

"Well," Rhid shrugged, "I was unconscious when they found me. Not a thing about me out of place, except that witnesses swore I was no longer whole and intact." Magical theory. It was surely not a term he grew up hearing with his father being on the Guard. Not even his brief recruitment spoke of magic that the Dreadlords wielded. They were mere humans, born without magic.

At least that was no longer true for Initiate Vaughn.

"No, please." He chuckled, resuming their slow gait towards the offices kept by Proctors. "I would like to hear your thoughts. They barely slow down to talk through this shit with me, you know? Maybe hearing your theory could help, or it might not..." Rhidian shrugged.

"At least if I leave this Academy a disappointment, I always have a spot in the Anirian Guard." He grinned.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair followed him, but his gaze never left Rhidian as he continued to try and piece together his magic. His face was scrunched up in thoughtful contemplation.

"I guess...the Anirian Guard are all competent. I have a friend who enjoys spending more time with them than with fellow Dreadlords, but...the things you will see here will change your very understanding of the world around you. Once that happens, it is hard to go back."

Alistair wanted to cast his spells on Rhidian to see the interaction, but he stopped himself. One, people tended to not like random magic being placed on them. Two, it could be dangerous without knowing exactly what Rhidian's magic was.

So he settled for continuing to study the aura that was nearly gone.

"You mentioned you have to sacrifice something. Why does it have to be your life? What if you just focused the magic and sacrificed a hand or something...Just think of the magic more like a muscle in the body. It's a lot easier to flex one muscle in the hand than to flex your entire musculature at once."

Rhidian

• Thoughtful
Rhidian loosed the air that settled in his lungs, feeling as if he were back on that fence teetering either side of stay or go.

And yet that nagging tug in the back corner of his mind, that little sense of curiosity kept him behind Academy walls. What if he could do more than just explode? Rhidian's first week was hearing how one Initiate's magic started and then grew or evolved into something different.

He could become a weapon on his own terms, instead of this forced idea.

"That gives me something to think about, alright. Proctor Urahil said magic has more of an emotional side to things... and I guess it can be easy to work yourself up with the thought of dying..." Rhidian shoved his hands deeper into his pockets. "With your magical theory enthusiasm, do you know if magic that takes form inside oneself could be... manifested outside? I mean... why do I have to be the one to detonate? Why can't I make... that bench suddenly blow up? And just that?"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair's face twisted into a look of disagreement with the mention of Proctor Urahil's explanation of magic. That wasn't always true. Emotions in magic helped for some, but Alistair's style of magic would be completely ruined if he let any emotion into his calculations.

It was true, a lot of Dreadlords learned to channel magic through emotions and instinct. Then lessons could ingrain that into the body until the magic was second nature. However, sometimes it helped form a clearer picture if things were explained through arcane science and theory.

"Of course, it can, so many types of magic begin in the body and then manifest outward. However, there are some important warnings with this type of magic...Magic is all about connections."

Alistair reached out and touched a piece of stone and then pulled away, but as he did that small piece of the wall turned to sand before quickly resetting back into stone.

"You can certainly attempt what you are thinking. I would love to see it, but remember. Magic always has a price. Even if you put that type of explosive energy in an object, you need to always remember that something is happening inside your body, even if you can't immediately feel it."

The image in Alistair's mind of Rhidian just causing people to explode on a battlefield was impressive, but to be able to do that immediately was likely a long way away.

"May I suggest just trying and bringing that energy to your fingertips? You don't have to release it or anything, but get comfortable with the sensation."

Rhidian

• Sip
Rhid blinked.

"What?  Now?" And the way Alistair waited for him with those eerie eyes, Rhidian let out a strange laugh. "Right..."

Best get to it.

What he felt in his chest each time he ignited the magic, Vaughn tried to imagine it moving through his body. He thought of the weight in his chest to become fluid, washing over to his shoulder, down the inside of his arm, and settle in his hand. It took him a few attempts to keep it from sputtering, sighing and locking his jaw as he concentrated.

Sweat collected at his brows and forehead, but with success, Rhidian held up his hand and stared at his fingertips. "They feel numb." He observed, letting out a small laugh kf awe.

Would it be wrong of him to tell Proctor Urahil she only needed to worry about teaching etiquette classes like she does the other Initiates?

"This feels much smaller than what I did before." Rhidian glanced to Alistair, wondering if he could sense his magic tipped at his fingers.

Alistair Krixus

"That's good. I personally like all of my body parts right where they are."

There it was, he could see it so clearly, the magic gathering at Rhidian's fingertips. He could actually see it easier than the first time. It certainly wasn't like his own which was neutral and slow to move without him driving it. No, this was warm and violent. It wanted to be let out.

"Magic is all about building blocks. Start small and then stack all the small successes into big successes."

Not wanting to miss out on the opportunity before him, Alistair quickly began digging around until he found the cheapest coin he could find in his pocket. He very carefully placed it in Rhidian's hand.

"Alright, now try and move it to the coin. Not as easy as in the body, but should be easier than just shooting it out into the world."

Alistair was already beginning to discreetly activate several defensive runes across his body and his clothes...just in case.

Rhidian

• Bless
He held his breath as the coin was placed in his hand, as if the very palm would set off an explosion. The instructions were to transfer his power to that coin resting at his skin. Rhidian repeated the same method of imagining his magic moving. Sensations tingled at his fingertips, draining down his fingers to his palm, pooling around the coin.

"Right... so am I... enchanting this thing? Or am I launching it to the sky?" He was unsure of what to do next, his voice apprehensive as he did his best to keep control on that small morsel of magic from going beyond what he produced.
Alistair Krixus

"Hmm, that's...a good question."

Alistair had no clue. He was sure about one thing, it was probably going to be explosive...that much he could tell. Maybe he shot the coin like some disc thrower, or maybe he just made the coin blow up. It was difficult to tell just by watch.

"All I know is...I would point the coin away from you...and if it feels like it is going to blow up then I would probably just throw it away. You know, don't want to lose the hand and all that."

Next came the fun part though. There was only one way to find out and that was by doing. Let's just hope they did not put a hole in the side of the hallway. While the Academy had some good builders, he did not want to get yelled at when he was only here for a medical checkup.

Rhidian

• Haha
Well. Here goes nothing.

As if he was holding something dangerous --- which he was --- Rhidian's hand was outstretched away from them. He turned his head slightly to peek at the coin, curious to see it do something as he focused his magic to manifest outside his body and into the cool object.

It happened all to quickly.

The coin launched, not quite exploding. The force of his magic had sent it to ricochet off the wall, to the ceiling, to a spot near his feet, and disappeared down the hall. Rhidian had dodge the wayward coin, falling into the wall heavily onto his shoulder.

"Fuck!" He waited a moment, waiting to hear if it had stopped pinging off the walls, or if someone came to investigate. When no one did, Rhidian let out a whooping laugh.

"Well, I am sorry about your coin, my friend!" He chuckled, staring at his still numb hand. He gave it a shake, and Rhidian let out a slow exhale. "Will have to practice that more I guess!"

Alistair Krixus

"Excellent!...So not fiery explosive, but kinetic force explosive, that is a lot more reasonable to work with."

Alistair had just avoided the coin as it whizzed by his head, but he had been able to clearly see the projectile as soon as it had been imbued with magical energy.

If only he had his notebook on him so that he could take some notes, but unfortunately, he would have to settle for just remembering it all. He glanced down to see Rhidian still had his fingers. That was another good sign.

"A small charge for assisting the Academy. Yes, I would certainly practice more. My suggestion is to continue putting the energy into an object until you get very comfortable with that. Once that becomes easy then you can begin to experiment more."

He moved over to the wall to examine where the coin had hit. It had left a decent mark on the reinforced walls, but nothing close to breaking them, but on a human body...it would be sufficient.

"I would also keep it to small objects unless you get permission from a proctor. They don't like their benches and tables to just go flying off."

Rhidian

• Smug
Rhidian grinned widely.

It was the first time he felt a mixture of relief and excitement for his magic since it came alive inside him. "Do you reckon Proctor Urahil will be offended if I ask you replace her?" He chuckled. Rhid knew she was capable of teaching him more than they were starting with now. She was not a Proctor from before the Revolution, and despite her name, was considered the nicer member of the blonde brood. Rhidian felt at ease with her, an already seasoned Dreadlord that had seen many battle fronts, which is what Vaughn had aspired to see all his life.

"You said you had an interest in magical theory. If you are up for it, I wouldn't mind picking your brain some more in the future." It was clear Rhidian valued those that were passionate about something. Urahil was not some prissy noble teaching etiquette, she was a Dreadlord capable of healing the most fatal of wounds and knew where to really hurt someone. Alistair, he was coming to notice, was an excellent teacher in getting their student comfortable with themselves enough to try what they most feared. Perhaps this Academy would lend to him many that possessed such a practiced idea, and impart their wisdom to him.

"I am sure they wouldn't mind if I play with a bench or two." Rhidian grinned.

Alistair Krixus

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Alistair Krixus
"Hmm, not sure. We may have to ask her. If she agrees I could only come to visit on an unregular basis, seeing as I am sent on my missions or dealing with my own business."

The idea of teaching was something that he had thrown around several times in his brain, but it had always been something that he thought he would get around to when he was much older and had retired. Of course, his new injuries had also narrowed down what specific types of jobs he could not perform. Maybe this would be a good way to spend some time helping the future of Vel Anir.

"Ok, let's ask her."

Alistair did have fun when experimenting with someone's magical capabilities, and he liked the Proctor, as she was one of the most unlikely to attempt to kill him from a request and just say no.

Rhidian

• Smug
"You know, I was half kidding, but now that I see you are up for it, I think that would take some relief off of Proctor Urahil." He had to stifle some of his excitement. Under Alistair's instruction, he did more than he could even fathom. It was just a thought, and theory and goal he had pictured, and in the space of less than half an hour, Alistair had helped instruct him past his fear.

"Kress, I would take whatever time you could give, Alistair." Rhidian shrugged. "Not like I am going anywhere. They aren't sending me on big missions where I need to rely on magic, just combat. Besides, Proctor Urahil can still fill in the time in between if I need---"

He had not heard the click of her boots coming down the hall, stopping just shy of a door that was her office. "Oh, I did think my ears were burning. Thought I told you to go for a walk and cool down, Initiate Vaughn." The Proctor's light eyes flicked up to the other behind the Initiate. "Hello, Alistair. Bit early, but you may have to wait a little longer. Some Initiate thought they could test their immense strength on an enchanted and unbreakable armour his friend put together... Now I have to heal several shattered bones in his hand." The exhaustion was clear on the young woman's face as she leaned on her door and took a moment to breathe. The cheeriness in her smile was unconvincing to Rhidian. "The bones found in the hand are so fragile."

"Met him outside. Got talking and now we are here. Look." Rhidian felt like a child showing off now, but he brought the magic to his fingertips again. They glowed pink, as if the blood inside were being illuminated by his magic. "Progress. Not even thinking about death."

The Proctor managed a genuine smile. "Not seeking to replace me so soon, are you?"

Rhidian smiled sheepishly, dropping his hand and letting the magic fade. "I mean... I thought maybe we could lessen the work load. You have lessons to teach, Initiates to mentor, missions that take you away from the Academy for days on end..." Rhid glanced to Alistair and shrugged once more. "Even if you are both not around, I can always learn on my own like everyone else has at some stage."

Alistair Krixus

Alistair politely bowed at the arrival of Proctor Urahil, "I completely understand. It isn't easy to gauge how long it will take me to arrive at places now. I never know if my journey will be simple or not." Offering the last bit with a chuckle.

He could tell she was tired, and why wouldn't she be? After the events of his own graduation, several proctors had been removed. It was likely that several Proctors were still performing multiple roles.

"I was just offering him a few incites that popped into my mind..., but I would not mind assisting in some basic magical training for any initiates that need help. Especially if it would help the Academy in any way....Of course, I do not wish to intrude, if you already have plans for him."

Some Proctors could get very touchy about those that they considered their mentees. Alistair was not looking to get into some sort of turf war.

Rhidian

• Wonder
Rhidian turned to the Proctor, brow raised as a small grin grew on his face. "C'mon Proc. It lightens your load a little, doesn't it?"

And to her credit, Perrine Urahil snorted as delicately as one who teaches etiquette to a class of weapons would. "Lightens the work, yes, but make no mistake the Academy or missions will take precedent. To be perfectly honest, I was hoping someone would help take over. The only thing that made me the best one to mentor you, Initiate, is my ability to heal. My magic is not like your own, and I have no doubt that Alistair here will be much better help." She smiled, at least it was a positive reaction Rhidian could see. "If the two of you could achieve that in the small amount of time you had, imagine what you will be capable of come graduation."

There was something there in her voice, but Rhidian soon forgot his curiosity as Proctor Urahil looked down at her door and cursed in a fashion he knew she would not dare to use in class. "I forgot my keys in the infirmary." And with one last look that pleaded to them both, she tore herself from the door and back down the hall.

"Never seen someone so ladylike and speak with such a tongue." Rhidian chuckled, turning to look at Alistair. His cheeks began to hurt from all the smiling, all the surprise excitement he got at the thought of being able to do more than just self detonating.

"Well, Alistair Krixus. Looks like we have time for one more lesson before your appointment. Should we head outside and try with a stone or my book bag?"

Alistair Krixus

The Proctor was far more agreeable with the idea than he had expected, giving more credence to his theory about their overworking. Once again, he offered another polite bow as the Proctor left before he turned his attention back to Rhidian.

"The rock will suffice. I have no plan on destroying any of your academic supplies."

Already, countless thoughts passed through his head about ways he could test Rhidian's abilities to the extreme, or just in strange ways. He reminded himself that any such experimentation was not in the cards, just yet.

He needed to get the foundations set, first. After all, he could help heal to stop Rhidian from dying, but they really should not make a habit of destroying his body so readily.

"Remember, for now, if something feels off or a little to much then turn it off. We can't be blowing up the school on our first day...It will make me look bad."

Rhidian

• Bless
Rhidian snapped his fingers. "Damn shame."

Clearing his throat, he made the move to head back out from the hall and to the grounds outside. "If only there existed a containment room. That way there is no real worry what may be destroyed." He would even settle for going out to the Falwood. Somewhere open. Perhaps back to the Savannah.

"I just... want to do this right." Rhidian fell back into that shell he hid behind before he started talking with Alistair. "It feels like a lot of responsibility to be able to do so much damage..."

Alistair Krixus