Completed Freedom Within A Cage

"There are, but we will not be using them."

Alistair followed after Rhidian with ease. Even with his newfound blindness, he knew this school like the back of his hand.

"You are right that it is a lot of responsibility with such destructive force, but you might as well get use to dealing with such responsibilities now rather than later."

When Alistair noticed they made it to the grounds outside, he began feeling for a completely flat section of ground. Once he was satisfied with one of the spots, he began to drag his walking cane through the dirt to create a series of circular runes.

Rhidian

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rhidian
He shouldn't feel guilty, not when he found reason to do more under the guidance of Alistair. Rhidian pushed past the reservation his conscience tried to instill in him. He was a Vaughn, a son to a family that served Vel Hetren proud.

"Would hate to look like a fool later in life." Rhid cracked a smile. "What's that you're doing? Looks like... runes?" The word felt odd on his tongue, but he certainly paid attention in class when he wasn't busy writing down notes. Rhidian kept still, dark grey eyes watching as the other young man carved specific circles to create the rune.
Alistair Krixus

"They are runes. That is my specialty. I was not born with any innate magical talents like yourself. I was given just a little magical spark. I focused on this art to better control that energy."

He expanded the formula into three rings, each one bigger and encasing the previous one. Then the runes connected the three except the center. Alistair took a step back and looked at his work before making a few small changes.

"Ok, that should do. Get inside...preferably avoid messing up any of the markings. One small change will ruin the formula."

Rune magic always had a price to pay. He dug into his bag and produced a small pouch of bone shavings and some magical ink. He placed some of the materials onto the runes and they all began to glow with soft blue magical light.

Rhidian

• Yay
Rhidian did his best to step between the drawn lines, mindful of every step until he reached the center. Once there, he relaxed himself by stretching his arms and watched Alistair place items from his bag onto the runic lines he had etched into the earth, and with the payment set, the ground lit up. A blue glow enveloped around him, and Rhidian swore in awe.

"Quite an impressive thing to hone. To remember different runes and... this is amazing!" He still had to get used to the varying degrees magic had in terms of power and versatility. But rune magic? That in itself was something he could not fathom handling like Alistair did just now.

Alistair Krixus

"A lot of magics are more...sudden than rune magic, but it gives its users a sense of flexibility. While you are at the Academy, a word of advice, keep learning. Your innate magic, turn that into a specialty, but the best Dreadlords are skilled in multiple traditions."

That was even true for Alistair now. While he continued honing his rune magic, he began more focused practice in earth magic, and counter magic. They were all becoming solid pieces in his arsenal, but his passion would always stay with rune magic.

"Alright, let's continue."

A quick change and a yellow glow followed as a large boulder appeared in front of Rhidian.

"Remember what I said earlier. Patience and control. If it too much then back off and take a moment to think about it."

Rhidian

Rhidian heard a variation of the same advice Alistair imparted onto him, that there was always another vein to the straightforward magic. Suppose not only can he detonate himself, it was proving the theory he could place that magic somewhere else and have the same effect. What more could he do?

To begin with, he could start with the boulder that rose from the dirt.

"Right." His dark grey eyes focused on a spot withing the boulder, imagining the very place he would transfer his magic. His chest warmed as the magic came to life, and with each steady breath, it grew brighter, hotter, and began to feel tighter as the pressure increased.

Rhidian closed his eyes, raising his head just a little higher as he willed his magic to his command. It was almost a minute before he could feel his chest emptying, and a small collection of energy started in the boulder. Bit by bit, he poured his manifested magic into the boulder.

Only when he heard the stone begin to crack did he open his eyes, staring at that point he envisioned before. The pressure began to release, and Rhidian gritted his teeth to keep the magic contained. When he knew it was going to take more practice to ensure nothing would go wrong, Rhidian ceased his manifesting. A light sweat collected at his brow, and he let out a shaky breath. "Fickle thing. It feels like I am in control, but then I can't tell where the tipping point is."

Alistair Krixus

"That will largely be discovered through trial and error."

Alistair dismissed, not displeased with Rhidian's advance. He looked over the boulder with some curiosity. It had cracked in some places, but it did not go flying off like the coin before it. That would seem to support a hypothesis that Rhidian's magic was not simply explosive, but it might just be the easiest way to express itself.

"The rock only broke but did not shoot off...Did you purposefully do that, or was it that the rock just could not support all of the energy?"

The rock was larger, but less sturdy than the coin they had used earlier. They would need to experiment with several materials to figure out what worked best for Rhidian's powers. The materials may all react in completely different ways.

Rhidian

Rhidian shrugged at the question. "Guess I did do that. I slowly poured magic into it... at a spot where I imagined was the middle. As soon as it cracked... I felt the magic try and escape. Pressure being released, you know? Didn't want to find out where that wayward magic would shoot off to so..."

He stared at the boulder, an idea forming. "Wait one second, Alistair. I want to try something." Conjuring his magic was becoming easier each time, and it filled him with a sense of pride. He positioned the magic at the boulder again, and this time slowly releasing his hold on his power. They would be able to watch the glow, orange and golden, slowly seep between the cracks and make them large enough to connect and break the boulder into large pieces.

Alistair Krixus

"Good, as long as you meant to. The important thing here is to make sure the magic follows your intent. It's all about control."

Alistair was impressed, Rhidian was showing rapid improvement for someone who was supposedly struggling just this morning. It just goes to show that all it takes is the proper imagery.

His magic was also proving to be versatile, it made Alistair want to find a way to discover just how malleable or adaptable this energy was.

"Ok, you seem to be getting comfortable with bringing the magic up...Now let's try the other hand. Try moving the energy into different parts of the body."

Rhidian

On himself, again? Rhidian stifled the frown that wanted to twist at his expression.

"Just how can you tell I am using my magic? Runes sense them?" He asked, bringing forth his magic again, and willing the collection at his chest to move down both arms and pool at his hands. He conjured more, morsels, and willed them to spread to different parts of him. He was heating up, sweat running down his temple as he took easy breaths in and out as he kept a tight grip on his magic.

Had he just been afraid of what he could do, that he stunted his magical growth with Proctor Urahil?

Perhaps after these lessons, she may have nothing to teach him.

Alistair Krixus

"No...well some of them can, but they don't provide my sight. No, I made a big mistake which cost me dearly. I was lucky to gain a small pittance for it."

He could see the way the magic traveled through his body and was willing to allow it for a moment but took a few steps forward.

"Dial it down. I asked for moving the energy to other parts of the body, but not all at once. Keep it simple for now. "

While he watched Rhidian perform his work, Alistair also began to run a few of his spells, matching them to Rhidian's own aura...Just in case.

Rhidian

Dial it down.

It was a simple instruction but Rhidian had not worked like this yet. Withdrawing without cutting off the magic turned to be a harder task than imagined. It collected at his chest, roaring to the palms of his hands and back as it channeled furiously. Rhidian wanted to wipe at his brow, to clear the sweat that dripped down his face. His magic wanted to expel, to not be contained.

"Should I cut off the connection?" He asked, strained. Kress, if he killed this guy... Rhidian noted the less paces that had been between them and let out a shaky laugh. "I think if I don't throw this somewhere, I may just detonate."

Alistair Krixus

Two options with very different results. In the end, what drove Alistair's decision was once again his curiosity. While Rhidian had told him of his explosive capabilities, he still had not seen it yet...yet.

"You may release it. I am ready."

Alistair began his own casting reinforcing his already sturdy runes with even more power. If his work with the Archon had been correct, Alistair's mimicking of Rhidian's own magical aura should allow him to withstand more of Rhidian's explosive power.

It was a good way to test both him and the initiate.

"And don't let it seep out. Force it out quickly."

Rhidian

He did not wait for further instructions.

Rhidian felt the power return to his chest, letting out the building pressure with an exhale. His ears strained, almost piercing with the sound of BOOM sweeping from the Initiate at the epicenter. He became weightless, already falling backwards from the force, and dazed. It was not quite the level he had released the first time, but it was enough to shake the snow from the treetops and blanket their exposes roots.

He did not let go of a catastrophic force, but it was forceful that loose items were throw back.

Other Initiates stuck their heads out from windows that rattled, some filtering out from doors and corners to see what the fuck had happened.

Alistair Krixus

The force of the explosion was surprising. If it had just been runes, or just Alistair's spell then it might have broken. Thankfully, they held on together, containing the most powerful waves.

He quickly waved off the spectators. "Nothing to see. Go back to your classes."

Alistair walked over to examine the runes he had put down. Hmm, he made it to the third ring, that was impressive.

Satisfied with the experiment, Alistair finally moved over to Rhidian. That much power would make Rhidian a great Dreadlord, it's a shame that he had no control of it at the moment.

"Not bad...but for now, do not circulate that energy through your whole body. Keep it limited to parts at a time. No reason to use something that could hurt your allies unless absolutely necessary."

Rhidian

Consciousness begged to return and Rhidian's feet caught himself before he could fall back. He stumbled, but was upright.

His face fell into a deep scowl, staring at the Initiates that stared back at him until Krixus shooed them off. The confusion that came after almost set him into a panic, but having that other person there to keep him in the present was the only thing keeping him from calling to his destructive magic once again.

Rhidian calmed his breathing, listening to Alistair.

"That was reckless of me." He realised. Rhidian wasn't sure if he should be angry at himself or not... but there was no denying how seductive that level of power felt.

And how it begged him to draw on more power next time.

Alistair Krixus

• Devil
Reactions: Alistair Krixus
"No, it was not. I asked for it and we have measures in place. It would be though if you lost control randomly."

It had been more manageable when he was just pushing power into objects, but...now was time for something a little new. He quickly summoned another large boulder.

Alistair had to activate his runic eyes to see since the next tool had no magic in it. There they were. He walked over and snatched up one of the countless dull metal practice swords and walked back over.

"Take a moment to catch your breath. Then, you are going to break that boulder, again." He handed over the blade, but it was more accurate to call it a metal beating stick.

Rhidian

• Nervous
Rhidian did not hide his look of incredulity as he was handed the dulled blade. Break a boulder, no problem. Hold this metal thing?

The sword in one hand gripped the pommel, raising his arm to wipe the sweat form his brows with the woolen sleeve to his light coat. Dark eyes fell to the new boulder, and the Initiate began to slow his breath. Moments later, when he was sure he was leveled and calm, he called upon his magic.

"Right. What am I doing with this sword? Make it explode against rock?" The imagery in mind played out in an epic way, but he was sure he was not capable of such a feat just yet... unless they truly wanted to explore how much force went into a wide scale detonation.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair just stood there watching wanting to see Rhidian's confidence and his inclination towards experimentation.

"Just trying a few other things...Just focus on chipping the stone for now. I want you to channel your magic through that sword and into the stone, but without damaging the sword."

It was important to see just how far the transfer of magic could go with a possible medium involved. If it worked, then weapons practice would need to be continued. If it did not work, then he would need to be added to classes that taught various Dreadlord martial arts.

"Don't think to hard on this one. As always, if it doesn't feel right then step back. No need to hurt yourself or me."

Rhidian

• Thoughtful
Well, wouldn't that be a neat little trick?

In his mind, the way Rhidian pictured Alistair's instructions was simple. In order to prove the simple theory, the simple idea, he let his magic collect in the hand that wielded the blunt weapon. From there, he imbued it into the pommel, watching it move straight down to the dulled blade. He swore he heard the old metal hum, a pitched sound that grew louder as Rhidian rolled his wrist and gave the sword a flourish before taking on a offensive stance.

With a soft exhale, he advanced.

Skilled movement with the sword, Rhidian struck the side of the boulder. His strike was quick, expecting the metal to bounce from the dense rock, but instead, it sliced a little ways before chunks around the impact zone exploded in all directions. The boulder was more than chipped, but Rhidian did not cease. Magic was called forth, repeating the steps he had taken previously, and struck the other side.

The Initiate whittled the boulder down to third of it's size, jagged edges cleanly broken off.

Alistair Krixus

This might be the first time that Alistair genuinely smiled as he watched Rhidian's work. Technically, the boy had failed, or at least partially failed what Alistair had expected to happen. However, the unexpected results gave Alistair a much-needed hint into how Rhidian's abilities worked.

"That's enough. Come here for a moment."

Alistair wished he had an empty notebook on him to take some notes, so he settled on drawing some symbols into the dirt with his cane.

"So, do you want the good news or bad news first?" Alistair did not actually wait for an answer.

"The bad news is that the next time I visit you, we will be taking up one of the experimental chambers which do not have nearly as good of a view as out here."

His mind was racing with experiments, but he needed certain tools to safely investigate such features of this magic.

"Good news is that the sound you and I both heard, gave us a major hint on how your abilities work. Your magic has some sort of frequency to it. That would explain how it made the sword ring and the vibrations that would cause are likely the reason that dull sword was able to slice threw the rock."

Rhidian

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Rhidian was unaware of any failure, not when he whittled rock with blunt blade. He felt a new desire to learn, to finally accept being wielded into an appropriate weapon for the Republic. The bad news was not as bad as he thought, and his shit eating grin did not falter in it's brilliance.

"A frequency? Sounds..." Different. "Odd." He shrugged, turning the hilt in hand to give the practice sword a flourish at his side. "Does that mean my magic does not need to explode each time?" Should he practice calling forth what he can with the Proctor? Channel his magic into other weapons?

"Either way, the bad news sounds interesting enough. Besides, a view may be cause for distraction."

Alistair Krixus

It did not necessarily mean the magic had a sound, but it created a sound when it caused certain materials to vibrate. And, it was clear that Rhidian had not been here long. Otherwise, he would have been more concerned about the experimentation room. Although the aftermath of the Revolution had led to the more barbaric practices being removed, the rooms were still known for the...scarring tests performed there.

"But, that's for another time."

For now, it was satisfactory that Rhidian had discovered multiple ways to use his gift without blowing himself up. This would allow him to defend himself and train by himself if need be.

"Either way, you now have a way of using your magic without destroying yourself."

Rhidian

• Smug
"...using your magic without destroying yourself."
Hearing that confirmation of what he thought brought a wash of relief over him. It was going to be an adjustment for him, but he knew this would reshape how he would go about training. He learned more with Alistair in as little as an hour than he had all month, but now he had the tools to continue practising these very lessons.

"I think that will make plenty happy not having to clean up my mess." He grinned. Rhidian tossed the practice sword to the side, about the location his mentor had found it. "Guess I should let you go find the Proc and make your appointment."

Rhidian approached the few feet to Alistair and offered his hand once again. "Thank you, Alistair. You've got a knack for this type of thing, you know? I'm grateful for your guidance." There was much to learn and review after today, but Rhid knew to exercise caution still.

Alistair Krixus

A knack for this? No, he had just pointed out some obvious possibilities with Rhidian's magic. The boy clearly had talent that he was just not aware of.

"I learned everything from this school. They beat it into me, so I figured I could do the same, but maybe a bit nicer...Have a nice day Rhidian."

Alistair turned to head back inside the Academy, his cane once against sweeping out to feel for obstructions in the ground. Hopefully, the Proctor would be ready to deal with his eyes.

He had a date to get to.

Rhidian

• Smug