Fable - Ask Forgotten Treasures

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Vyx'aria

Drow Queen
Character Biography
Link
It was the dead of night when Vyx chose to make her way towards the city of Elbion. Like with Vel Anir, she was operating alone, doing this to satisfy her own curiosities more than anything. A group of soldiers would attract attention, but one drow wandering around would go largely unnoticed.

Mages from all over Arethil came to Elbion, and she knew that at most others would raise an eyebrow at a drow within the city. Though there was inherent distrust towards drow, they hadn’t done anything overtly problematic for many generations. Most humans nowadays hadn’t even seen a drow and wouldn’t know the bloody past the elves had.

Vyx had hopped onto a trading cart, paying the driver a few coins to ride into the city. He asked many questions about her kind, most of which she ignored. The fact that men spoke out of turn on the surface was still something she was adjusting to.

It was well past midnight when the drow general decided to venture out towards her destination. The college was well guarded, but she was here for a very specific item. It was a weapon that had been forged by the elves at Fal’Addas and used to banish the drow into the Underrealm. Legend said that it was housed at the college and Vyx sought to reclaim it for her people.

Nimble on her feet, she quickly made her way towards the back walls that guarded the college. There was an entrance there guarded by a man that was having a hard time staying awake. Vyx kept a respectable distance for now, staying within the shadows as she thought of the best way to remove him.

"Professor Lejeune," said the Maester.

"Yes?"

"Do you know where Professor Montefort is? He's late."

Istra shook her head. "Right now? No. I may only assume that he is at home. He left early from our enchanting session, complaining of feeling ill."

The Maester made a quizzical face. "Why would he not simply see someone from the Restorative disciplines?"

Before Istra could answer, another Professor behind her called out, "Because he hates my fucking guts."

A few chuckles and outright laughs from around the room. Istra was not one of them. The Maester raised his hand in a bid for quiet and sighed and said, "Very well. We shall have to conduct the Test without him."

Someone else behind her, mumbling in a mirthful way, "Well that's convenient for Monty, isn't it."

Istra volunteered her hand and stated, "I will assume Professor Montefort's responsibilities."

"Excellent," said the Maester, "thank you, Professor Lejeune. Now then, Professors, you have your assignments. Let us conduct the Test swiftly and reconvene back here as soon as possible. I'm sure you would all rather not to have a stay of your good night's rest."

* * * * *​

The Warding and Enchantments Test. Or simply, "the Test."

Istra enjoyed her supper at the Lejeune Estate and spoke briefly with her mother and then returned to the College after sundown for it. As did the other Professors involved in the detail. The lateness of the hour ensured a minimum of activity around the College campus--this preferred for a variety of reasons.

Naturally, Istra assented to participate in the Test whenever she was asked. It served her well to know the intricacies of the College's various defenses, to be instructed in their proper function and maintenance--all the better to subvert them if and when a time for it so arose. The Test provided the perfect cover for this: probing about the College would duly arouse suspicions otherwise. Not only that, but it was one of the explicit purposes of the Test to recharge and--fittingly--test the wards and enchantments in new and creative ways. Seeing how they could be broken, surreptitiously, for example. She could leave these weaknesses and vulnerabilities in place, or alter them slightly to suit her needs. Yes, the perfect cover.

Professor Montefort's illness was an actual unplanned opportunity. Rare, those, and worth capitalizing upon. This promised to be a fruitful night, inspecting two whole sections of the College and their magical defenses, cataloguing them for potential Speculatore exploitation.

And Professor Montefort's section was that of the rear College walls. The rear courtyard she crossed in mostly the dark, appearing and disappearing in little islands of light from the magical sources mounted on poles. Her eyes did not need them, these magic lamps.

Istra approached the rear wall, nodding to a passing guardsman who was heading toward the back entrance to rouse or perhaps playfully scare his half-asleep comrade.

She touched the stone of the wall and began her work as instructed. The subterfuge would come in due time.

Vyx'aria

Being a grounds keeper of sorts wasn't exactly the ideal job she wanted but it allowed easy access to the college and more importantly the outsides. In addition no one would really question why she would be using a ladder or other gardening tools that had a wide range of 'other' uses.

Besides that a many containers offered the ideal place to hold certain more specialized tools for breaking an entering. Whats more today would be a prime time to do some spying, a little eves dropping alerting Ipatiy to a certain test. The full details were still unknown but if gut instinct was anything to go by such an opportunity couldn't be passed up.

Donned in her usual attire the maid wandered through the courtyard, grasping her tools from today's earlier tasks. Herself soon passing a guard she assumed to be heading towards the entrance, easily catching his attention. "Ah Miss Kozlov, finishing up work? sure staying back late, everyone else has already gone home". He replied in a slightly amused voice.

"Well, if I stay at the college past a certain hour the administration has to pay me over time, I'd never miss out on a chance to earn a little bit more for only an hour or so". "Besides some of the other staff here do quite a lack luster job when it comes to keeping things tidy, can't have them ruining my reputation".

"Well don't stay too late, anyways, I best get to my own job". With a quick wave the guard left her behind, Ipatiy quickly looking around before ducking back into one of the nearby bushes. Her plan? wait for one of the professors to conduct this 'test' and see what it was about. Hopefully it wasn't something involving a lot of magic, she wasn't particularly skilled in that area.

Luck would appear to be on her side today as but a minute later a women who appeared to be a professor passed. Said women quickly going about some sort of action against the wall, Ipatiy's sapphire gaze lingering on the women's hand, trying to discern what they were doing.

Vyx'aria
Istra Lejeune

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Rizzo Bouchard
Vyx was drawing out a dagger to make short work of the guard when she heard others approaching. With a curse, she ducked back out of sight as a woman in a maid outfit (of course to Vyx the clothing looked like an odd costume) came around. Her body language immediately made her appear suspicious and out of place.

Before she could do anything, another woman walked over and began to inspect the walls. Vyx eyed the mage curiously, but she had another matter to attend to first. The elf moved like a shadow, making her way towards the bushes behind which the maid hid.

A swift dagger came to rest near the woman’s neck, Vyx’s crimson eyes glowing eerily in the dark, “What’re you doing?” She asked with a whisper. It was clear the elf had no intention to actually kill, but would strike out in self defense if needed. Depending on the maid’s answer, perhaps they were here for the same thing.

Istra Lejeune Ipatiy Kozlov

"... well crap, this is quite unexpected". Raising her hands to show they were empty she stood still, eyes glancing to the side a little but alas the maid was unable to catch a glimpse of who was behind.

For someone to sneak up on her, they certainly had a good amount of skill, to an extent Iptay was impressed even if she was not slightly pissed off at the women with a knife against her neck. Still, even in this situation the maid didn't really react at all, just rolling her eyes and giving an exasperated sigh.

"I could ask you the same thing, I know for a fact you are not a guard here, you don't seem to be an assassin either, a thief perhaps"? As she was being 'interrogated' her eyes didn't leave the professor toying around with the wall. Hopefully she could obtain some useful information and with time her assailant would depart without leaving anything life threatening injuries.

Istra Lejeune
Vyx'aria

• Yay
Small bits of lightning jumped from one finger to another on the hand that touched the stone wall. And she could both sense and see the enchantment in the stones working accordingly, warding off a significant portion the impact (however meager it originally was) of her magic.

Not that these defenses had done much good against Maho Sparhawk when he attacked and destroyed a considerable percentage of the main College building. Concerning, that. From the Empire out in the west, he was supposed to be. From the lands her parents and their parents before them hailed. Perhaps it went back further than that--not that she would know.

The Order of Speculatores had been preparing for a while to engage in operations within the Empire, such as they were being neighbors with Elbion and the territories within its grasp. The situation was...tenuous, at best. As much as she would rather continue her work within the College for the Merchant Council, Istra thought increasingly so that the brewing threat of the Empire warranted her service more--especially if the Maho incident was in fact sponsored either tacitly or expressly by their so-called "God-Emperor."

She thought of this as she began to try a few different kinds of Alteration magic on the stone wall. Attempting to soften or heat up or liquefy the stone.

She did not yet notice that there was somewhere off to her side two individuals caught in a quiet conflict behind the cover of the manicured bushes.

Vyx'aria Ipatiy Kozlov

• Yay
Reactions: Ipatiy Kozlov
Vyx had to admire the woman’s ability to stay calm in such a situation. And because she was a woman, the drow had even more patience for those of her kind. She flipped the dagger back over in her palm so the blade no longer pressed against the maid.

“What if I am a thief?” Her gaze left the maid and moved over to rest on the mage. Vyx watched with curiosity as she attempted a few things, her own patience growing thin. The drow glanced around and didn’t spot any other ways in. She had briefly considered trying to scale the building, but she doubted she would get far.

“Does she know what she’s doing?” She couldn’t help but ask aloud. If the maid was suspiciously hiding in the bushes, chances were that she was up to no good as well. If the maid got in her way, Vyx would make short work of silencing her. For now, however, there could be benefits to outnumbering a college mage.

Ipatiy Kozlov Istra Lejeune

The women behind her was quick to the point, she had to give her credit there, then again this was the first time she had been held hostage in such a manner. "Well, my job is to just clean, they don'y pay me to deal with intruders". Not that she was incapable of doing such more that Ipatiy had opted to keep her skills and experience in that area secret from the college administration

"If you want answers about miss professor there don't ask me, I just tidy things up most of the time, though it has got me wondering too". It was supposedly and official test from what she had overheard but something felt... off about the mages action. She couldn't quite put a finger on it but it just seemed to be taking a little longer then expected, almost as if the test was but a ploy... but for what?

Vyx'aria Istra Lejeune

• Yay
Istra waited for the patrol of a guard to pass. Made pointless busywork that perhaps might have looked impressive to mostly mundane man by performing the same small-scale lightning spell, albeit in different ways. Each time the stone wall and its enchantment responded properly.

She waited for the guard crossing by behind her to be well and truly on his route and then gone. Tried some more of her Alteration magic on the wall. Hm. Promising, when she Altered the stone for it to gain a rigid crystalline structure--the protective enchantment did not seem to translate well to this new internal arrangement of the stone. Of this she made a mental note as her spell faded and the stone morphed back to its regular form.

That section of the wall done, Istra turned and started to walk through the rear courtyard and moved toward the next section of wall to test. Thought as she did back to supper and her talk with her mother. How she was yet again urging her to at least consider seeing Lord Stannis Mejeure; yet again trying to coax her to spend time with a man whom Istra knew for a fact to be utterly daft, little more than a "yes-man" to his father. She found that blind allegiance Stannis held for his father to be supremely contemptuous--like a form of submission. In Stannis she saw a version of herself with regard to her own father, a version that she had through a spark of defiance narrowly avoided. She could see that version of herself and she loathed it with a passion.

It was not hate that which produced this aforementioned spark. Not hate, but a deep desire for her relationship with her father to be different. More amicable. Better. With adulthood and independence her father's boot had merely been lifted from her neck, but its imprint remained and the sole was not so far removed from the skin.

Istra walked through the rear courtyard and approached the manicured bushes behind which both Vyx'aria and Ipatiy were hidden, eyes which might have seen them downcast by these thoughts taking precedence in her mind over the mostly routine motions of the Test.

She passed through a gap in the bushes. Mere paces from the other two women.

Vyx'aria Ipatiy Kozlov

• Yay
Vyx considered the woman’s answers to her questions. After a few seconds, the elf decided that the maid was harmless and mostly irrelevant. As she thought about her predicament, an irrelevant person was exactly what was needed for the situation.

“I think we can gain some mutual benefits here,” Vyx said as she watched the mage continue working, “If she finds a way inside, can you distract her so I can slip in? In return I will get for you whatever you desire from within” She wasn’t often in the habit of working with others, especially those of the surface, but this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Of course, if the maid refused, Vyx would do this on her own.

And probably try to kill the maid because she would have known too much.

The maid would only have moments to respond before the mage came over towards them. Vyx grabbed the maid and dragged her down beside her into a low crouch, concealing them both. To Vyx’s surprise, the gesture wasn’t needed as the mage was seemingly lost within her own mind.

The drow quietly began to follow behind the woman. She was hoping the maid would do her part in being an annoying distraction if the mage managed to clear a path inside.

If anyone had looked into Ipatiy's eyes at that moment they would see a silver glint at the drows 'deal'. Let the thief in, let them steal stuff, get a small object for personal use and if anyone asks just tell them you were 'incapacitated' by an intruder.

She saw this as a absolute win with next to no risk on her part and if things became more complicated she could kind of tell the truth that the intruder 'forced' her to do it under the pretense of death. After all most maids would probably be scared half to death if some stranger pushed a knife to their neck.

"Then it is a deal, try to steal something that can be sold easily with little hassle or has some nice practical use will you". She whispered, following after the drow, her own movements quiet and calm, clearly she wasn't an ordinary maid, though her attacker probably figured as much already.

Popping out from the bushes she quickly made her way behind the women, "ah excuse me professor, do you have a second"?

Vyx'aria Istra Lejeune

• Scared
There were times when one's body and one's mind were operating in almost two distinct planes. The body anchored in the physical world, going about the motions of one's current task with an autonomous ease, and the mind whisked away by the lofty whims of thought, a neverending procession that often times ended far from where it started.

This was one of those times.

So Istra, not expecting much in the way of company out by the bushes and the section of wall beyond, flinched when she heard the voice behind her. She turned around, faced the maid, let out a small sigh and said, "You frightened me."

She waved her hand, as if dismissing said fright or heading off any apology that could perhaps follow because of it.

And she decided that a small indulgence would not harm anything--hardly a setback in the Test and her own prying. To the maid she said, "Yes. I am able to spare you a moment. What is it?"

Ipatiy Kozlov Vyx'aria

• Popcorn
Vyx had to resist the urge to scoff at the maid’s audacity to name the kind of item she wanted stolen. The drow’s face was devoid of emotion and didn’t divulge whether she agreed or not. Crimson eyes watched as the maid went ahead and worked to intercept the mage, and the drow couldn’t help but be impressed.

While the women were talking, Vyx moved like a cat, slinking through the shadows and moving closer. The drow would have to bank on the maid finding a way for them to get in. Perhaps asking for a tour? Did that even make sense at this hour? Vyx was starting to feel more anxious by the second.

The hand on her dagger tightened, and she wondered if it weren’t a better option to just try and off them both...

The flinch from the professor was quite odd, she wasn't exactly trying to be silent, perhaps they had been to engrossed in their work to expect other around here. Regardless said professor being unaware of her surroundings made her sudden appearance seem more normal.

"I apologies, it wasn't my intention to scare you in anyway". There was some truth in the matter, but the little mishap gave her a little more time to stall before asking a question. "I noticed that you and a few other staff were conducting tests around about this time and was pondering if I was to clean up early and vacate the area less disturb your work".

Her eyes glancing slightly to the wall where Istra had been dabbling not a few moments ago. "My knowledge of magic is limited mainly to congregation and summoning, as such I didn't want to accidentally cause any issues for you or the other professors when completing my rounds today".

Vyx'aria
Istra Lejeune

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Istra listened to the maid's concerns. With a small wave of her hand dismissed them. Said, "You need not trouble yourself with the thought that you might disturb our work. Finish your rounds as you normally would. And do report any anomalies you might encounter to one of the Professors."

Istra half turned, said as something of an afterthought, "Have a pleasant night," and completed her turn.

Started walking toward the section of wall behind the row of manicured bushes. Intent on continuing her Test of the wall's wards. Her back to the woman she knew was there and to the woman she did not know was there.

Vyx'aria Ipatiy Kozlov

OOC: So sorry for the delay! Got wrapped up with the event.

Vyx cursed inwardly as the mage brushed the maid off. She stuck to them like a shadow, staying out of sight as she followed them. The mage was coming across yet another wall and that granted another potential opportunity to move in.

The drow couldn’t make eye contact with the maid - it was unlikely she would even be able to see the elf at this point. Vyx could only hope the maid would make up some excuse to watch the magic and potentially enter. Flattery always got people places, right? She gritted her teeth, feeling useless. If Lythrani were here, she'd be able to easily whip up some illusions to persuade the damn mage to get moving.

She seemed quite dismissive, almost as if the professor wanted her gone as fast as possible. Then again it may just be a status thing, no doubt a place such as the College would have it’s fair share of elitists that couldn’t be bothered ‘associating’ with the less staff members.

She need to think up something fast to get her more talking, but thankfully the professor had given an answer to that already. “When you say an anomaly is there anything I should specifically be looking for? Perhaps that is what that test you are conducting is for”? Her tone carrying a genuine curiosity to it.

Seeing how others used and applied certain spells was often interesting and very informative for her ‘other‘ line of work.

Vyx’aria
Istra Lejeune

• Yay
Istra stood by the wall. Began to cast a variety of simple spells, along with trying some mundane actions which were supposed to trigger the enchantments and their alerts and responses. She didn't, however, want to probe too far, to try her unorthodox techniques. Not while she was being watched.

The Test was not strictly a confidential matter, but all the same it was not something to be spoken of freely. But all of this was common enough knowledge: that the walls surrounding the College and its inner courtyards were bolstered through enchantments. Her spells accordingly--purposefully--were common. Straightforward. Little sparks of lightning and some basic attempts at enchantments of her own. Istra didn't want to try too hard to break anything while the maid was around.

Without looking back at her, Istra said, "You've been a servant of the College for some time now, yes?" An assumption on Istra's part, but she went with it. "Anything that may appear outside of the ordinary: erratic lights, discordant noises, a sensation 'heaviness' in the air. It is very likely you will encounter none of these things, or indeed anything else of note, but it has been observed that unintended side effects of the Test may be delayed. Such is the nature of cascading failures."

Istra turned around. Ostensibly satisfied with her probing of the rear wall now. She began to walk back toward the rear entrance to the College campus, sparing only a minimal glance toward the maid.

Said, "Yet I reiterate that this is something you need only keep in the back of your mind. Attend to your duties, and I will attend to mine."

And Istra walked with the wall close to one side and the manicured bushes close to the other. She walked and did not see the dark elf in her hiding place.

The rear entrance to the campus was ahead, as were the guards on duty.

Vyx'aria Ipatiy Kozlov

Vyx finally lost all her patience. She darted out from her hiding spot and grasped onto the mage, slamming her into the wall nearest her, “How about you cut the bullshit and find a way into this building?” Vyx hissed quietly, her face inches from the woman’s. Her red eyes gleamed of their own accord, the blade in her other hand ready to find purchase if needed. Vyx used her weight against the woman, holding her in place, “I need to get in there. And you will get me inside.”

She loosened the grip and stepped back slightly. Vyx had archers stationed outside at various points, but she wouldn’t reveal that card just yet. The Drow glared at the mage, “Sound an alarm and you’ll have my dagger down your throat.”

Vyx didn’t turn to look at the maid, but she’d know the drow addressed her, “Make sure no one comes this way or run away from this without a word. Make your choice now.”

• Wonder
The professor was being quite dismissive, but to be honest it was expected. People usually didn't like it when someone butted into their work, especially late at night when they would usually be off work. Unfortunately the little elf thief wasn't as patient, earning an eye roll from Ipatiy as they lunged from the bushes to take said professor hostage.

"If you wish for me to keep a watch out for the guards you best be offering a payment greater then what the college is paying me already". The maid wasn't about to stick her neck out for some stranger unless their was a suitable reimbursement. Getting caught while being an accessory of a crime as big as breaking into the college and harming a professor wouldn't look good on her record.

Vyx'aria Istra Lejeune

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Istra was caught completely by surprise. An unseen elf--dark elf--blindsided her and slammed her into the exterior College wall. A light gasp of shock escaped from her, and the mixture of apprehensive anger and startled fright were insufficiently restrained from reaching her expression. Speculatore training included scenarios like this, helping future agents keep their calm and their composure and thus their mind functioning properly while under intense stress. But here, for a brief moment, Istra had succumbed.

Then it started to come back to her. Her training. Her willpower. And her face gradually flattened back out into a neutral but hard showing, even as her eyes flicked down to the blade and then back up to the dark elf's own.

A lapse in vigilance. Complacency. Thinking too much about her own troubles and concerns while in a potentially (and now demonstrably) compromisable position around the College's exterior perimeter at night. Nightvision did not aid anyone if they'd not the awareness to utilize it.

But so long as Istra was not dead, there were always options. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. Every problem was a lock, and one's own thoughts were the key.

The known circumstances: the dark elf wanted inside the College. Her relationship with the maid could potentially be exploited. The dark elf also needed Istra to a certain extent, and in this a balance of expendability to carefully maintain in her favor. Lastly, appeasement was the only strategy to utilize at present.

"Very well," Istra said. Her hands up by her chest and her palms exposed in a gesture of compliance. "Keep your hood up. Act like you belong here. We shall walk right through the rear gate together."

She elaborated further, "Truth is malleable. Perceptions definable. The guards at the rear gate know nothing of you. They will only know what I deign to tell them: that you are here at my behest, and that our business is of no concern to them. No alarms can be sounded where all is normal."

Istra kept still. Her hands still presented in surrender. "Are these terms acceptable?"

Vyx'aria Ipatiy Kozlov

Vyx glared at the woman before drawing her blade back. Had the mage been testing the durability of the spells around the building? Had she been attempting to break in as well? The Drow had no desire to actually trust her, and she would call upon her archers if things went south.

“What assurances can you give me?” She hissed at the woman, red eyes gleaming in darkness. Her hood was up again. She looked over at the maid who was now trying to drive a bargain.

“You keep your pretty little head on your shoulders if you shut up and follow along,” Vyx spat at her. She looked back at the mage then, “What’s in this for you?”

Drow were inherently suspicious by nature, and this was a situation she hadn’t expected. Vyx hated having to rely on someone for help, but she had no real way inside the building without the mage. Provided that the mage gave a satisfactory answer, Vyx would play the role she had requested.

At this point it was anyone's game of what would happen next, truth be told she didn't really care what happened to the professor. Should this advent prove non profitable Ipaity had no qualms about making a break for it or attempting to back stab the drow.

For the mean time she’d stay silent, just off to the side, in the back ground like a proper maid. On hand an at a moments notice but not intrusive on others, simply rolling her eyes at the aggressive words from the hooded women. "I've met orcs with better manners then you". It was a pain and Itapiy wasn't going to blindly follow orders, but she knew enough to keep partially to herself least lose out on a possible score.

Vyx'aria Istra Lejeune

Last edited:
  • Sip
Istra kept still and compliant, but her mind raced with options and odds. The dark elf. Prone to seething anger. The maid. Upset with the dark elf's demeanor. A souring partnership perhaps. Potential there.

Keep playing along. Not all opportunities could be created; some came only with time.

What assurances can you give me? What's in this for you?

"My life, simply put," Istra said. "Your blade is quick, is it not? Keep me within arm's reach. That is your assurance. It is for your benefit as well as my own that no suspicion nor air of something amiss arises tonight. And it can be that way, so long as we all...act...accordingly. Your business I do not know nor wish to know, but it--I assume--can only be served by keeping this matter quiet. Normal, and perceived normality, is as quiet as can be."

She awaited the dark elf's answer. Her Speculatore training the only thing keeping fright from causes a tremble in her knees, in her hands.

Vyx'aria Ipatiy Kozlov