Private Tales For King and Country

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Nothing has changed," said Olwynn, pausing only for a second before she moved past the others, even Yvaine, and took a seat on the far side of the fire.

Faulkin watched her with careful eyes as she made herself at home, and then cast a look to Randall and Nakios before sending one to Tor, and then finally to Yvaine. He gave her a somewhat perplexed expression, but made it evident that he was not done pressing the matter even though he had taken a passive stance to her intrusion. But to say one could cut the tension in the air with a knife would almost be an understatement, as the whole of the gathered company had gone silent.

Encouraging Yvaine to join him, he once again took his seat by the fire.

"Then answer why have you come now," he asked, reiterating Yvaine's initial question.

"Jo'ran is far too blinded by his own ego to have seen, and he is a male. In my dreams Itae spoke to me of your coming, her coming, long before you arrived, and it was always to be that I would follow. Your lives were never in question, only hers," she cast Yvaine a side-eyed look, but it was not one of malice, "Itae never told you what she believed to be true, did she?"

Yvaine

Yvaine took the invitation to sit beside Faulkin at the fire, but not before another cautious glance around the outskirts of their little camp. Distrust was a new thing for her, but she was aware of the fine line between distrust and paranoia, and she tried not to convince herself that there was any sort of trap and to hear her out as it seemed Faulkin was prepared to despite being so close to execution at their hands.

Trust was not on the table, but she was well aware of how diplomacy worked. She saw some eyes on her, those of the men who were as uncertain as she was of Olwynn's intentions, but she offered a tight smile to them as Faulkin asked his question and she turned to watch and listen as she answered.

Her dark brow furrowed at the way Olwynn commented on Joran's gender, and the way she continued to refer to Yvaine as 'her' struck a nerve, causing her jaw to clench irritably. She wasn't the sort to command that her titles be used, if she even had any now, but she wasn't accustomed to being referred to as 'she' or 'her' and so her name, at least, would have sufficed. With a huff, she managed to swallow the thoughts with a bitter aftertaste. There were more important things to be addressed.

"She told me many things, all of which I hope to be true - I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific." Yvaine frowned. "And believe me, their lives are as important as mine - I have no wish for you to be here at all but if you must be then that is a point I wish to make very clear. I wouldn't be here without them as it is, those men you forced to remain in the cold rather than offer your hospitality. The ones you separated me from and the one that you tried to murder."

"Once we have your clear understanding on that matter confirmed, we're willing to listen to whatever it is you have to say to us."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Faulkin
"She believes you are the Lightbearer, the one who will defeat That Which Makes Desolate," Olwynn said bluntly.

Faulkin looked between Olwynn and Yvaine with a plain look of confusion. He'd never heard of such things before, and from the expression worn by those around him, he was not the only one.

"And... what are those," asked Tor, finally breaking the silence.

"If the stories are true, then he is a Dark One incarnate, and only She can defeat him," Olwynn responded, this time staring at Yvaine all the while, her composure changing to one less abrasive.

Faulkin looked on in disbelief. Itae had been far from this concise in her explanations, and he was curious why she had chosen to be so cryptic whereas Olwynn had revealed these things all too blatantly. Perhaps it was a lack of faith in them on Olwynn's part to do what must be done, or perhaps it was a lack of Itae's part for not trusting them with the knowledge.

"Whatever is to be done, I will ensure Yvaine's safety, and the safety of all those you see around me now. If you pledge the same, then you too may join us."

"There is only one life I must ensure, but I will protect your brethren as I am able."

Faulkin did not exactly like the response, but he would accept it. From everything he had seen, these El'thulians were quite capable. Olwynn, despite her disposition, would be a valuable asset to them, especially if they were ever to encounter any more of those monsters. If what Olwynn said was true, then he would question his confidence in how unlikely they were to come across them once again.

But, he decided that this decision was not only his to make, so before voicing his approval he turned to Yvaine, asking, "what do you think?"

Yvaine

• Nervous
Reactions: Yvaine
By the way in which Yvaine lapsed into an affronted silence, it was perhaps all-too-clear that Itae had not in fact divulged that piece of information. Her mouth opened, but the words she meant to speak turned to stone in her chest, and Tor's spoke up then instead. She had hoped she had misheard, or misunderstood, she hoped that this was some cruel taunt, but the there was no mistaking the seriousness in which Olwynn spoke with.

Yvaine wasn't sure if her heart was beating too-fast, or not at all. She barely heard anything of what was said until she noticed Faulkin and everyone else staring at her expectantly. Her cheeks flushed, and she frowned at him.. "I.. I am not entirely sure what to think.." she admitted and cast a look over the men before settling her attention back on Olwynn.

"The creature I saw in Itae's visions, the one causing all of this.. He is the one you speak of, yes? He, he is..." her head shook as she fought to find a word but could find none to suitably describe him. He was terrible, he was monstrous and barbarous and destruction personified but her mind struggled to comprehend something so horrifying. "And the demon with him.." she was reminded rather suddenly with a spike of panic.

"Whatever Itae thinks me, she is wrong. I have no weapon to wield against these creatures, I don't know what.. what a lightbear---" she paused, thinking of Tinúviel and the power he held.

“I believe my path is to find those who know how to stop this... If you wish to accompany us then do so, but to believe I have any power to kill that creature would be a mistake."

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
"We will see, Yvaine," came Olwynn's quiet reply.

In the weeks following Olwynn joining their troop, they proceeded in relative peace. Over time, they slowly became accustomed to Olwynn's presence, who was for the most part quite quiet, but never far from view. She gained the trust of many, and before long they carried on as though she'd always been there, even attempting conversation with her from time to time. She rarely said much, but Faulkin noticed a change in her demeanour as they traveled, even the odd smile.

She even seemed to enjoy Alwin's attention, if only to taunt him.

It was high noon, but even the sun could not break the canopy above. The trees were not terribly dense here, but they were tall and encompassing high above. Still, it was not so dark as to be treacherous, and they could see plainly enough. Faulkin led their number down a clear and well-worn path, which at the end they would no doubt find what brought them here: the Portal Stone. It would take them to Shekketh, and onto the next part of their task.

From atop his horse he turned to Yvaine who rode hers, saying, "well, it's been a long road. I think we'll make camp once we make it to the stone, what do you say?"

Yvaine

Yvaine found it more and more difficult to settle her mind the closer they came to the portal stone. As she slept she recalled the visions of darkness, the demon and the desolate one, and most nights she'd jerk awake in a cold sweat when they lunged for her, or to the sound of whispers or the scream of her own name. She felt heavy with the burden of Olwynn's words that only she could stop the creature, and her nightmares had taken her again and again to the moment before her friends would be slaughtered before her eyes if she did not act - and each time she could do nothing but watch, paralysed with fear and fatigue.

More than once had her head dipped for a moment as they rode, overcome with her weariness, but again the voices in her mind grew louder and louder before she was jolted awake once more before she forced herself to stay awake.

As Faulkin spoke, her smile for him was still warm despite her pale and clammy skin, and the dark circles she wore under her eyes. "Yes.. Please." she sighed softly, coddling the tiny fox that had determined that it was warmer within the cloak Yvaine wore, but it didn't stop her from keeping an eye on things, and she watched the Captain from beneath Yvaine's chin.

Riding for hours a day did nothing good for her aches and pains, but she couldn't help but feel she was growing weaker, in more ways than one. Olwynn managed to invoke sudden spikes of anger each time she toyed with Alwin's attention. She couldn't help but feel protective of him - not since he'd almost died in her arms and she'd watched by his bedside as he recovered. In truth, she felt protective of all of them, and as far as Yvaine was concerned, Olwynn, who had once presented a threat to them, had not yet earned her trust.

The closer they moved toward the stone, the denser the atmosphere seemed to become. At least, for her it did. She wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed and if they had, they weren't showing their discomfort. Juniper licked at her chin, as though sensing hers.

"I think we're here.." she said, unable to see the stone and yet the strange thrum of energy seemed to vibrate along her bones and she stopped, realising that the thrum was the only sound she heard other than those made by her company. No breeze seemed to play here, and despite the hour, no birds did either. The vixen followed her gaze upward to search the still trees and quiet skies, and it was Olwynn she looked to in wonder of whether she had noticed it too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Faulkin turned to Yvaine, not exactly sure that he agreed with her. He had not yet seen this "portal stone," though he had to admit, there was something odd about where they found themselves now. Noticing where her attention had turned, Faulkin's eyes followed and he too looked to Olwynn to see if perhaps she would concur. Olwynn, who seemed unphased by whatever had prompted Yvaine's reaction. She did however take notice of their joined gaze.

"Usually only those with close connections to magic can feel the stone's presence from afar. Yvaine is right, we are nearly there," she said, "we can stop here if you wish. The stone is just over there," she said, pointing ahead in the very direction they were going.

"We'll stop here," Faulkin concluded, and began to dismount his wearied steed. He moved closer to Yvaine, and offered his hand in helping her down from Veres, saying with a smile, "you seem to grow keener by the day, Yvaine."

They wouldn't go through all the effort of establishing a proper camp, they would do that once they were on the other side. Instead they would only do what they needed to for some rest, as they had every intention of going through that stone as quickly as they could - which they knew would take time no matter how quickly they wished to go. At the most five of them would be able to go at a time, and aside from their horses, whatever transport they had was not likely to fit close enough to the stone. They'd need to take time to sort out what of theirs was coming, and what was going.

Yvaine

Yvaine nodded in agreement, that this was close enough. Any closer to the thing and she feared she might grow dizzy or vomit whilst trying to rest in such proximity. She was grateful for Faulkin's assistance, and she all but slumped into him as her boots met the leafy ground, deciding to take a moment to soak in the comfort he never failed to offer her, whilst Juniper stretched to lick at the Captain's stubbled chin between them.

"I do not feel keener.." she admitted with a frown. "It feels like I am being pulled toward something whilst being repelled at the same time." she sighed, looking up at him and managing a tired smile as she reached to his cheek.

Her golden eyes shifted to Olwynn, hoping she might understand why she was so affected. Why there were so many voices and visions in her mind that didn't belong to her, but she didn't ask for fear of worrying any of the men, when what she feared most was being driven to madness.

"I'm sure I'll get used to it.. But some sleep would be nice.." she shrugged, and got to settling down to rest. The silence did nothing at all to quiet her mind, and so her hand pressed to Faulkin's chest, letting the beat of his heart against her palm resonate through her.

"What if I can't do this?" she whispered to him.. "I'm not like Tinuviel.. Perhaps it's he who should be on this path.." she searched his face. What if she was leading them to their deaths?

"I'm so afraid, Faulkin."

Last edited:
  • Cry
Over the course of their journey, Faulkin had certainly taken notice on the toil weighing against Yvaine's soul. She'd seemingly grown more weary, though she hid it so admirably it was likely only he could tell. He knew she even denied it herself, but in the quiet of the night with little else than the sounds of a waning fire she confessed to him her thoughts, confessed to him her fear.

Her voice was so small as if to be distant, crushed beneath the weight of her responsibility. And he, uncertain if he could truly understand, knew that if nothing else then for as long as he drew breath he would be there. He pulled himself closer to her, wrapping his arms around her and pressing his cheek against her head. And though he too was afraid, he kept his breath even, he kept his heartbeat steady. With all of him he tried to be her strength, and all the while he whispered sweet comforting nothings, hoping she could find some rest in his embrace.

Yvaine

• Cthuulove
In the vast sea of her mind came storms of tempest fever, and his arms were the boat that storms forgot..

Had he said nothing at all and simply held her the way he did, she'd have understood perfectly that he was there. And that he loved her. Not that she had ever doubted it from the moment he'd said it, she could never doubt him, but when she felt she was losing herself, he was the one who found her.

It was the first restful night's sleep she had had in weeks. Perhaps it was that her unspoken fears, like a thick blanket heavy with rainwater, had been shed. Even without the sounds of trickling water or rustling leaves, she slept, finding the steady beat in his chest and the soft breaths to be far more soothing and able drown out the world far better than her fountains ever had, even conquering that perpetual thrum of energy she could feel and hear from the nearby stone.

She woke before he did, and she took a long moment to appreciate how peaceful he looked, both at sleep and at work, protecting her with his embrace. Her heart was sore with how completely she loved him, stretched fit to bursting it ached in her chest each time she counted those blessings that she had gone with him, and that he was still here.

Fingers of shadow stretched across the leafy ground as the rosy warmth of first light cast itself through the trees. Faulkin was always beautiful, but there was something particularly stunning in how he wore the soft morning light. A smile split across her face, her nose gently grazing at his jaw before her lips kissed softly as she whispered the day's first proclamation of her love for him.

Yvaine had always healed a little faster than humans, and after a night of rest, she felt stronger than she had in weeks and the weariness was all but gone from her face, her cheeks warmed in subtle pinks and dewy from the morning mist that had blanketed the floor.

"Alright.. We should get a move on.." Olwynn's voice broke the peace, quickly followed by a chorus of the grunts and groans of men protesting their waking.

• Love
Just her gentle touch and soft voice were enough to rouse him, shown first by the smile that slowly crept over his features before his eyes dared to open. He did let out a satisfied huff and a grumbling hum as he stretched and wrapped his arm around Yvaine as she rested there with him as they woke. He was never more content than he was in moments like this, forgetting all his troubles and even all the rest of the world when he held her like this.

"Alright.. We should get a move on.."
The bemoaning of their company that followed Olwynn's pragmatic and appropriate approach to the day brought a deeper amusement to Faulkin's smile, sharing in their joined disinterest in rising from their rest just yet.

His eyelids slowly parted, and he turned sleepily to Yvaine and said with a soft chuckle and a gentle kiss, "I suppose she is right."

Yvaine

How lucky she was to be so tenderly held and so deeply loved. Above all ache and fatigue, she could feel that the most, and she wouldn't take a single second of it for granted. It wasn't until now that she realised what her parents had, and how they must have suffered to be parted as they were, and her mother to have never been reunited. Nothing was promised, and so Olwynn would have to wait just one more minute.

She sighed against his kiss and splayed her fingers against his cheek.. "She is.. But Olwynn does not give the orders.." her lips twitched in amusement, knowing well enough that the elven would hear her. Juniper was awake now too, and had quickly clambered over the blanket to squeeze her way into what little gap there was between the pair with a happy little whimper as she frantically nosed and licked at their chins and cheeks..

Yvaine let out a warm laugh, gently pushing the little vixen's affections away and paying her the warranted attention with an ear-scratch. "Good morning Juni.." she sighed and gave Faulkin a resigned smile.

They packed light and left behind what could be left, and in no time at all they were standing feet away from the stone. The buzzing sound was louder now, and Yvaine could feel it reverberating across her bones. She gripped Veres' reins uncomfortably as she led him on foot, just a little closer.

"I've never... Has anyone..?" she asked, turning to look at Tor, to Olwynn. She reached for Faulkin's hand, uncertain of quite how the stones worked and afraid they might somehow be separated.

'Yvaine....... Yvaine..Yvaine...vain..vain...Yvaine.... Yvaine...'
Her breathing quickened and she cast another glance over everyone else, uncertain if they heard what she did, or perhaps their own names. The closer she had come to the stone, the clearer the whispers had become, and now all they said was her name. At least, she could assume she was on the right path. Having voices in her mind unnerved her, but no longer frightened her. They didn't feel sinister, and so she chose to trust that they weren't luring her to a horrific death.

"I hear you." she said quietly, and the whispers ceased at once. A breath tumbled free and with a hesitant smile at Faulkin, she readied herself for whatever came next.

• Love
It was a shame they couldn't be afforded more time to travel by conventional means. There were just so many resources being left behind even though they brought everything they could reasonably carry. None of them knew anything of Shekketh. They didn't even know if there were any populations there that they could trade with or garner transport. For all they knew, from here on out, it was going to be a much longer road. But, while none of them may have been particularly excited to go through with it, it was something that had to be done for the sake of one who was well and truly now one of their own.

They would do it without so much as a complaint.

Standing by the stone Faulkin could indeed feel something. He was not one to wield magic, nor did he understand even its most basic principles. He was a man of flesh and blood, bone and steel. Nothing more. But he was far from ignorant of the things magic could do.

"I've never... Has anyone...?"
When her hand reached out, his dove out to meet it. He could sense her anxiety, and he himself could hardly deny that they shared in this. He'd heard of the portal stones and the great magic they supposedly possessed, but he'd never actually even seen one let alone used one. So now, in these moments standing before it, just moments away from activating it to be transported an unspeakable distance in only an instant, he realized how absolutely terrifying this actually was.

The what ifs were already starting to wreak their havoc...

"I've never used one either," he said, looking to her with as much comfort in his eyes as he could muster.

"Well, I have," Olwynn declared, approaching the stone, "and there is nothing to fear, we need only-"

"Captain," a voice cried out from behind them from closer to where they'd made camp, beckoning him.

"Just wait here a moment," Faulkin said to them, and turned to go see what it was that needed his attention.

Yvaine

• Thoughtful
The courage was taking some time to muster, but the moment she had finally found enough to do what was necessary to cross through the portal, a voice jolted her and her head whipped around, unable to see who had called, or why.

Her brow furrowed anxiously as Faulkin's hand slipped from hers, and she took a wary step back from the stone. A flurry of whispers crept quietly into the back of her mind, as though urging her forward, but she wouldn't dare move another inch without his hand in hers.

He had told them to wait, and so they waited, but the conclusions that her mind jumped to were nothing optimistic. Her uncle's men? Dalgarren? Monsters at their heels?...

Yvaine glanced to Olwynn who appeared more than a little impatient to move, but her hand slipped from Veres' reins as she moved to push through the protective little circle to go after the Captain..

• Cthuulove
There were more than a few moments that passed after Faulkin departed. Olwynn's eyes met with Yvaine's, and it was clear that both of them had become impatient, or at least Yvaine's anxiousness would say as much. For Olwynn it was irritation. And she was also curious what had taken the captain so long, but she was alerted to his return before any of the others. So, when Yvaine turned to leave from there, Olwynn was not surprised to see the sight of Faulkin returning with an exceptionally smug expression.

Perhaps the person in tow hidden under a hood and cloak was the reason.

"We're not going through that portal," said Faulkin, "not without this guy," he pointed over his shoulder with his thumb.

Behind him, the person in question approached and lowered their hood. It was Tinúviel.

"We must move with haste, your- an El'Thulian?"

"Come on,"
Faulkin said, moving forward to once again take Yvaine's hand in his and approach the portal stone, "we can talk later. Let's get going."

Yvaine

• Cheer
She stopped in Faulkin's path and her brow lofted at the expression he wore, the first few bolts of tension loosening as her fears were dowsed. Her head tilted to look past him as he spoke, following the jab of his thumb toward the hooded figure, and she knew before seeing his face who had found them.

"Tinuviel." Yvaine beamed, the relief visibly melting from her shoulders as they slumped with the tumbling breath she exhaled onto the cold air. She could have hugged him, she would have had it not been for their need to leave. Faulkin was right, they could talk later, when they had crossed.. And they had much to talk about.

Her hand squeezed gently at the Captain's and she took Veres by the reins once more, Juniper snugly secured in the saddle bag. Olwynn's words were foreign to her ears as she activated the portal. Emboldened, she stepped forward, and through.

• Bless
And after Olwynn said the words she needed and placed her hand upon the stone, and in an instant in the sight of all those of Faulkin's company, Yvaine, Olwynn, Tinúviel, Tor, Alwin and the captain himself all blinked out of sight without so much as a sound.

After what seemed to him like only a few seconds of what felt like passing beneath a waterfall without getting wet, he found himself standing near the portal stone again. Only, this stone was different. It had a slightly different shape though it bore the same runes. But this was only the first difference he noticed, as just after noticing the stone he realized that the entire landscape had changed completely. They had indeed been transported to an entirely different place, one devoid of the lush plant-life that Falwood was made of. Here the land seemed desolate, and above as he looked, he could see the haze of ash and smoke rising from not-so-distant places.

Faulkin's hand gripped tightly out of reflex, and found that Yvaine's hand was still firmly held within. He turned to her, doing his best to hide how startled he'd actually become after finding themselves in these hellish lands. But, after only a moment of seeing her standing there by his side as she had been since this all began, his anxieties eased, and he found strength in his veins again. Determination, that he would see this done and take her from these troubles.

"We made it," he finally said, releasing a breath he'd forgotten he'd held.

Yvaine

• Cthuulove
Yvaine could do little to disguise the sense of dread that caused her skin to pale slightly as her golden eyes swept the landscape they'd arrived upon. The very air felt different here, the sounds and scents unsettling. Faulkin's voice dragged her mind back to where she stood, and her gaze from the skies that'd grown dark with ash in the distance.

After assuring herself that every man, elf and beast were accounted for, she settled a troubled look upon Faulkin's face, searching for the reassurance she never failed to find there. She wanted to turn back, but as she looked up at the stone she felt no thrum of energy from it. Her heart raced, but the whispers that so often accompanied her were now silent.

"Yes... Still I can't help but worry that I'm making a mistake.." she said quietly, not wishing the other men to overhear her. She let go of her horse's reins and settled her hand upon the Captain's chest for a few steadying beats.

"We should get away from this thing.." she commented with another wary glance at the stone. She'd almost forgotten that Tinuviel had joined him until he caught her eye stepping away from the stone.

"I'm glad to see you, friend. I never got to thank you for what you did to help us last we saw one another. Perhaps you will tell us of your ventures whilst we walk?" she asked him with a soft smile.

• Yay
Tinúviel drew closer to Yvaine with her beckoning, and joined her and Faulkin as they stepped away from the Portal Stone. With his hood drawn up it was difficult to see his face in full, but he wore a familiar smile and the gentle voice that was his greeted her kindly.

"It is good to see you again as well. Your thanks never needed mentioning my dear, but once we have settled it would be... prudent, that I share with you my travels."

He cast a look between both Faulkin and Yvaine, hidden beneath shadow but in this alone he spoke volumes. He'd seen things he'd rather keep hidden, and likely they were yet all too plain in his eyes. Faulkin watched as he departed, and let out a long breath. Then they continued forward some short ways from the Portal Stone, and began to set up a humble and temporary camp. They need only linger near the stone long enough for the entirety of their number to make their way through, which given the restrictions of the stones power, was liable to take at least a couple of days.

Even in as desolate a place as this, he was at least comforted by the warmth he held in his hand.

The Portal Stone was perched atop a kuppe hill dotted with thickets and trees, all of which seemed scraggly and some even dead. Around them were wide, desolate plains that stretched for great lengths. In the distance there were great ranges of mountains from where ash and dust spewed out into the sky. In other distant places, other volcanic regions were evident, and all around seemed to be lessened by the decay it all wrought across the land.

From the edge of their modest camp Faulkin stood and looked out across the plains. He stood beneath a canvas, one of many that he and his men had strung up overhead to cover their camp. They'd gone about using the various and sparely located trees around them to bind them to, and they had covered the entirety of their camp in an effort to spare them from the constant, albeit gentle downfall of ash. It had darkened things some, but it was nothing a few well placed torches could not mend, and once the canvas overhead had been established they went about securing a perimeter.

From what they could behold around them, there was really no other place to do such a thing. And Faulkin had decided that from here they would formulate their next move, but as of yet he refused to send out any scouts.

How could he ask someone to traverse these forsaken lands? He hardly imagined himself doing it.

With his arms crossed over his chest and his chin rested against his closed fist he pondered their next move. But, with a sigh he realized he was likely far too tired to think all that clearly... he cast his gaze over his shoulder, and started looking for Yvaine.

Most of their company had made it through the Portal Stone now, but with each subsequent use the stone needed more time to recover. There were little less than a quarter of them to come through, but it would take those few the longest to make it. Luckily, by they time most of them got to the camp Faulkin had commanded to be established they were well rested and ready to work. This allowed those who had started the task to finally take a break, and among those was Tor. Faulkin, Yvaine, Alwin and he had all been working since they arrived, and just a short while ago did any of them finally stop for a rest.

He'd taken a seat at the center of camp where a great fire roared. It was strange, despite how hellish everything seemed here, it was oddly cold.

He took a sip from his waterskin, and looked to Tinúviel who was likewise drawing near to take a breather. He'd been a great deal of help since he'd arrived. Olwynn had too, but she was still hard at work on the canvases above. They were complete but she was ensuring they'd remain that way, and the way she could navigate such scarce footing was remarkable. Even Tinúviel had commented on it.

Tor laughed and with a wink made a certain insinuation, one which Tinúviel innocently dismissed.

Amongst their laughter, Tor cast his eyes around to see if he could find either Faulkin or Yvaine. He'd not seen either of them for some time...

Yvaine

• Cthuulove
It felt difficult to breathe here, though it likely had more to do with her fear than the smoke and ash in the air. Her mind crowded and she sought silence from the din of chatter, for her surroundings to quiet in order to listen closer to the whispers that came and went, pestering desperately to get through to her.

"I'm listening.." she whispered, her gaze travelling upward over the husks of heaven bound branches toward the darkening skies, but the voices dwindled and died, leaving her alone and she frowned in frustration. She hadn't realised how far she'd wandered until it dawned on her that she could hear nothing from her companions. A spike of fear coursed through her as she spun on her heels, her golden eyes searching for some sign of which path she'd followed, but she hadn't been paying attention.

'Don't wander off, Evie' the memory of her mother's voice echoed through her mind, and her imagination twisted twisted at the growing shadows, stealing those dark creatures from her memory and painting them into her surroundings. In an effort to keep calm and focus, her eyes closed and she breathed deeply, a shudder rolling over her shoulders with the cold breeze that scraped over dead grass and assaulted her ears.

Nothing but the wind and shadow puppets, she told herself, until a twig snapped somewhere behind her and she whirled with a bleat of fright to face whatever had stalked her.

• Cthuloo
And though she'd been given a start, in the face of her fright she was greeted by only the kind smile of he who held her most dear. Faulkin's approach was not exactly one he tried to mask, but he'd not considered how distracted she might have been from the distant voices that seemed to at any time start whispering in her ear. She'd wandered off some ways away from the encampment they'd be hard at work establishing, but he'd of course been quick about noticing her absence and taking after her.

"Hey," he said softly as he came closer without a moment's hesitation, "just where do you think you're off to on your own?"

He came near to her and drew in close, wrapping one of his arms around her and asking with upturned brows, "is everything okay?"

Yvaine

• Cthuulove
"Faulkin.." she breathed, her expression warming at the ever welcome sight of him.

Still her heart fluttered against its cage in attempt at escaping her chest, and she settled a hand over it as though it might settle at her touch. "Sorry.. I didn't realise I'd wandered so far.." her head shook, and she stepped to meet him.

At once she was anchored. Her arms snaked around his waist and her ear pressed to his chest as she drew a few easy breaths. "I just wish I could understand what they're saying. It's like I'm listening in on conversations, seeing flashes of memories that aren't mine, and I can't work any of it out.."

"It's like I'm losing my mind." she laughed under her breath, but her embrace tightened briefly as she spoke the fear out loud. The last thing she wanted was to be a mad woman leading those who'd chosen to follow her into their deaths.

"If we make it through whatever is to come.. I hope we find peace, Faulkin. I want to have peace with you.." she looked up at him and lifted a hand, splaying her fingers over his stubbled cheek as she rose slowly onto her tiptoes to kiss him.

• Cthuulove
"We will find peace, Yvaine," he replied, his eyes softening as he looked into her as she looked up to him and lifted herself onto her toes. He had more to say, but her lips pressing against his was more than enough to silence him. He pulled her against him just so as they met. His free hand reached up to pull stray hairs of hers to be tucked behind her ear. And softly his lips kissed hers, almost trembling as though behind them he contained a well that threatened to break forth.

And this was all too true.

It was almost painful to be holding her like this, having so much to share with her, but knowing there were others who needed them - others that needed strength from them. And yet, all the while all he wished to do was to melt into her arms, to be with her like they had in that place that seemed now a distant memory, where for just a little while if felt like not just where they were, but the whole world had been frozen in ice. Like the whole world had stopped.

His lips slowly pulled away as his forehead rested against hers, and with closed eyes and a silent sigh he whispered, "no matter what, we'll find it."

Yvaine

• Cthuulove
She, too, felt that rush of heat as he kissed her. They were rarely alone, and so it was difficult not to sink into such memories. Yvaine sighed deeply as she thought of those precious few days, and though she had not taken a single second for granted, she wanted so, so many more of them. This, here and now was another page that she would add to the book of memories that she so often flipped through in her mind. One filled with echoes of his sweet words and sketches of his face as she caught him smiling at her from across the courtyard, or first told her that he loved her, but there were so many pages yet to be written.

Her eyes closed as she breathed in his promise and smiled softly as it settled her further. She loved how he did that with such ease, and she made a mental note never to wander far from him, not whilst she might lose herself in one way or another, not when he was the one who anchored her to her true self.

"Is it selfish of me to want this time with you?.. Or, a little more time?" she whispered through her smile, her gaze rising to meet his as she pressed in closer against him, her fingers drifting from his cheek and down the slope of his neck to his collar, hoping he wouldn't object to her loosening it..

• Ctuhlu senpai
He gave a soft laugh, saying, "well of course it is. But..." as her hand pulled at his collar, his own hand traveled slyly around her waist to the small of her back, reached up beneath her blouse to place calloused fingers against her skin, "...I'm a little selfish too." He didn't believe that of course. They'd earned a quiet moment together...

But there was in him, another quiet disbelief. Through what seemed like all of his youth, he wondered what it would be like to be with her like this. So even now, when he found himself there it was still like all of time stopped. Looking into the golden hues of her eyes was as mesmerizing as an oasis deep in the desert, like the one final hope he would ever find. He could tear his gaze from them only to bring his lips to her cheek, just so he could whisper his love in her ear before gently pulling at her clothes.

Yvaine

• Love