Open Chronicles Festival of Lights: Illun Serath

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Evil and weird and stuff. The litany got a half a laugh out of him, singular nod signifying understanding. While his trials had not been akin, he could well imagine the lot, having witnessed plenty and then some in his day. The expressed gratefulness amused him a touch, if only for the lad made it sound like being a kid knowing nothing was the worst one could be. A type unlikely to be given a chance.

We’ve actual past brigands amongst us, for crying out loud. What was more, some select parties did and would in perpetuity fancy the Order at large naught more than a bunch of woodland criminals. Watching the kid’s bright expression, he did wonder whether he was aware of such a fact.

He’ll learn. No remark of the type left him before a follow-up landed in quick succession, asking for what he didn’t believe himself in possession of. His face reflected the fact, thoughtful.

“ Depends what one might expect of a story. “ He shrugged. “ Nothing that qualifies as exciting was there for me — just a steep learning curve and humbling therein. I was well into my third decade when I joined. “ Coming in from a different life entirely, trading a craftsman’s tools to a sword. Practically the same as knowing nothing.

He paused for a sip of his tea, visibly reconsidering. Be that it wasn’t so much for the story, as — well, presumption be damned.

“ But suppose it gave me perspective, coming in relatively late. Once one’s mentors have been many, their fallibility and differences aren’t as surprising, least of all in how they respond to challenge. Some are nicer or more insightful than others, some know fuck-all beyond their narrow specialty. “ The Order has the entire gamut, for sure. He broke into a grin, all sharp teeth as he inclined his head towards the lad like in conspiracy.

“ Thankfully, you get to choose your flavour to an extent, if you’re smart about it. While yourself is a bit timid yet, you’ve initiative — that’ll serve you well. “

Nacht

“You joined the Knights at thirty? That sounds like a story if I’ve ever heard of a hook.” Nacht paused, considering his own origin story. He had been a foolish teen out in the forest looking for a fairytale band of knights, and found a big heap of trouble instead. The very knights he had looked forward to meeting had to bail him out of the sticky situation, and he pledged to join their cause, hoping to do that for someone else someday.

“When I first joined a few weeks ago, I got to meet some knights. No perfect heroes, they were, but that just made it even more special. Made me…a little less scared, I guess.” He quieted down and sipped from his tea, enjoying the way the liquid warmed his entire body. The whole event had turned out way more fun than he had expected, and Nacht couldn’t help but crack a grin. He had only ever dreamed about a life like this one after reading about tales in books, and even sitting in a pub watching elves below on skates shoot by.

His ears perked up and he blushed a bit out of embarrassment at what Aarno said next, coughing in surprise. “I’m not timid!” the boy would state, feigning hurt. “But, I do appreciate the compliment, however enthusiastic,” he’d chuckle. Still, he felt good about getting at least half a compliment, and Nacht returned the favor. “I have to say, you’re pretty sharp for your age, getting on my good side like this.” He’d smile cheekily, as though to explain not even he was taking himself seriously.

Aarno

Not timid. His stare narrowed, peering past the rim of his cup with an intensity that suggested he knew better thrice over. The remark about his age broke him out of it soon enough, his smirk relenting as he hacked out a sharp ha of a mock laugh.

“ And you are mighty daring of a sudden, for this friendship in particular. “

The cup went down in a pointed click and he leaned heavy against one elbow like a man settling in to pick a discreet little fight at a queen’s teaparty.

“ Good side or not — all unconsciously done, as I merely repeat an objective truth as I’ve observed it. “ He stated, smiling for effect. “ If that is sharp, then I’m a ripe old genius. “

Much good they’ve done me — opinions and the arrogance to speak them. Pair that with a distaste towards hollow kindness and niceties for more flavour. And a divorce, as he’d understood it.

“ I only heard in passing of the incident wherein our Kin found you. “ His attention had fallen somewhere into his cup, watching the tea with a degree of aloofness. “ What happened? “

It was the Festival of Lights, and Osuin had been looking forward to it all year long. Among the first of the majestic sights to catch his eye was the towering tree overlooking a frozen pond upon which a crowd had formed – fast moving, and with most all moving with swift nimbleness that Osuin did not possess on a pair of ice skates. In battle, perhaps, but there his feet could firmly upon the ground. The same could not be said of skating upon ice.
It had taken some cajoling to get Osuin to try his hand at it again. He still sharply remembered how badly his hand smarted when he had slipped and sprained it last time

Once he’d strapped on his skates, Osuin carefully rose from the tree stump he’d been seated on with the assistance of a sturdy walking stick. He made his way to the lake, plodding through the snow until he arrived at the gleaming edge of the pond. From there towards the pond’s interior, the pristine and frozen surface transformed into a series of carved winding lines and powdered ice where the crowd continued to skate in circles.

First one skate went on the ice, and then the other. Osuin wobbled on his feet, clinging to the stick he’d dug into the snow for his own assistance for a moment until he’d managed to steady himself. After that, he waited for another moment until there was a comfortably large enough gap in the crowd speeding by him.

With his feet pointed forward and a heavy push off the stick behind him, Osuin set off onto the frozen lake. With great care, he pushed off one skate and then another. His efforts managed to maintain his momentum, and he soon moved ahead through the clear spot in the crowd at moderate speed.

Speed had been acquired, steering became Osuin's next concern. Extending a leg out with his weight shifted granted him a gradual change of course, though the turn was too sweeping and wide to be considered anything close to skilled. It was enough to get him through the clearing in the skating crowd, though that was quickly drawing to a close.

Now moving quick over the ice, Osuin was unable to effectively reduce his speed without falling over — a fate he'd really rather avoid.

“One might say I felt like returning the favor for your undeniably astute observation with one of my own.” Nacht would reply, beginning to have a bit of fun. Also, the boy had an admiration for the older knight’s jarring style of honesty, meaning using a version of it himself was very fun. Resting his hand on the armrest of his chair, he’d sip from his teacup and notice it becoming somewhat low. Had they been talking for so long?

“I’ve always appreciated your honesty, and you might be surprised, but objectivity is something you must work hard to find." the boy would quip, following that up with a slightly self-deprecating laugh. Nacht was a bit worried about being so snarky, yes, but something told him Aarno might just respect him a tiny bit more for not balking, not laying out the red carpet.

“As for my joining…it’s a bit embarrassing.” He thought for a second, trying to remember details from the day. “A shaman in Astenvale explained that my magic was a bit out of control, and that I needed to find…well, you guys.” Madame Ell was a seer that had taken up shop in Astenvale, and since then she had become highly reputable given her strange ability to see the future. “So, I wandered through the forest like a dumbass, looking for a group of people considered myths by some.” He cringed, the last part being the worst. “On my second day, I began moving and Shade just up and ran away. She came back, though.” He’d then glare at Shade for a second. She came back with three monstrous wolves on her tail.” This incident happened before he was really trained much, so he remembered he was no help in the battle much. "I tried to fight them off, but it was hopeless. Luckily, I was close enough to the monastery that Hector saved me and took me to base."

Nacht looked down at his cup and then up again, remembering everything. "Yep, that's about it."

Aarno

A shadow passed ov-... under Gruki's face as Alouette passed between them. 'Guess she changed her mind,' the she-orc fathomed, eyebrows rising as Lou jumped headlong into the freezing waters below. There was a scream, a splash. The screaming stopped, but then Arbok was shouting at her. A pat and she was gone, too, laughing all the way down.

Watching her disappear beneath the inky blackness of the lake, Gruki turned, only to see she was the last one left.

Smiling, she took a few steps back, gave her limbs a good shake. 'Suppose I could stay up here?' She asked herself, grinning from ear to ear. Nah!

Bounding forwards, Gruki jumped. She was unaware of how fast she was moving until there was no more ground under her feet. Curling into a ball, the big half-orc hit the water with all the control of a crashing sky-ship. The cold hit her like a brick wall, washed over her until all she could see was the silvery shafts of moonlight penetrating the surface.

Like being submerged in eternity, she thought, lazy kicks and strokes keeping her under. There was a flash of movement in the dark beyond the light. Gruki waved at Syr Guernot's long-lost cousin, her gesture made sluggish by the cold waters engulfing her. A foot booted her in the head, snapping her back to the present.

Oh, right!

Swimming back to the surface, Gruki appeared a dozen meters away from where Arbok treaded water. Lou was there in-between, as was Lorinna.

'Wanna go again?'

Alouette Arbok

Last edited:
'That's what worries me,' Faramund grumbled, unable to hide his smile. Cydonia, whilst angelic-looking, was also devilishly peckish. If only she had shown up a few minutes ago, Petra could have fronted the cost. Putting the thought aside, the dawnling sighed, nodded along.

'Let's go find you something to eat,' he said. 'I'm sure between the three of us we'll be able to find what you're looking for.'

Or so one would hope. There was no shortage of confectionaries and eateries in Illun Serath. As frail as they appeared, the Moon elves sure did like their grub. Doubly so during the Festival of Lights. 'Shame you're here on a diplomatic mission,' he told Cydonia, clearing them a winding path through the crowds. 'I kind of wanted to see you ice skate.'

Of course, in some regards he was lucky. Had the dawnlings gone skating, he was sure he would have been roped into it, too. People seemed to enjoy watching him fall flat on his arse.

Syr Cydonia Petra Darthinian

Alouette kept her eyes tightly shut, lips pressed against each other so hard they were white from the strain. The water was everywhere, cold invading every part of her. Like a thief in the night, any remains of heat were snatched from her blood, her muscles, even her bones. She jerked as if she could get rid of the pain, numbing and prickling all at once so that she was unsure how exactly she should feel. What good did shivering do when all she wanted to do was curl up and shove her hands into the last remaining pocket of warmth between her thighs as she squeezed them close together.

Her face hurt. Her lips and nose, fingertips and toes, numb from feeling too much at once. Lou was hardly aware of the time that passed— no more than half a minute although she felt like it had been minutes, not seconds— or that Arbok and Gruki had not been far behind her in jumping in. Someone poked her bicep and Lou opened her eyes, gasping in surprise. Oh, it was a kirven. A friendly one who pointed up and seemed to question with their limpid eyes if she needed help. How embarrassing, and yet heat managed to still rise to her cheeks.

Mind over matter. Indomitable will. Wasn’t that part of the pursuits? Or was that just something her mother had said once or twice before? Lou shook her head, proffering a small, shaky smile as she began to kick with her legs and swing her arms over her head. She hadn’t realized that by curling up she had gotten used to the cold, and now that she moved, the cold was back, icy shards spearing through her sensitive skin.

When Alouette emerged from the water, paler than usual yet with skin a bright red, she first looked for Gruki and Arbok. She was grateful that she hadn’t been taken over by the current made by the falls or Gruki’s canon-ball to be too far from the other girls.

L-l-let’s,” her voice was small, the falls drowning it out as her teeth chattered against each other, but still, Lou persisted. “G-g-go t-t-to th-the r-ro-rocks.” She pointed to the black rocks that plenty of the moon elves had tried climbing up upon, and some were still in the process of climbing. Surprisingly, the frigid air that had bothered her before didn’t now.

Arbok Gruki

Last edited:
Elation was not the word for it but it would do.
Arbok swam to Gruki with a triumphant laugh and threw her arms about her friends. Trying not to swallow water as she shouted.
"I did it. I did it. I'm okay, I'M ME AGAIN!"
She almost pulled Gruki under with her exuberance but she couldn't help it. It worked, the jump worked, she could feel it had.
"YEAH I WANNA GO AGAIN. RACE YOU."
Arbok exploded into motion as she made for the boat Alouette was on.

Gruki Alouette Hector Lorinna Astarel

Last edited:
Gruki smiled, unfazed by the way the cold water seemed to gnaw at her body like a hungry beast. Some people felt the bite more keenly than others, and this was true for Alouette. 'Y-yes, let's!' Kicking and clawing to keep her head above water, Gruki turned to regard the rocks Lou had indicated. The approach was thick with moon elves and bobbing rowboats full of spectators.

Staring up at their next challenge, Gruki yelped in surprise as Arbok threw her arms around her. Warm and weighty, Gruki had to fight hard to stay afloat.

'You were always-' Her head slipped beneath the surface. Kicking furiously, the half-orc forced herself up again, out into the fresh chill of night. 'I was s-saying,' she spluttered, regurgitating a mouthful of lake water, 'you were always you, Arbok.' Scars or no, there was very little in Arethil that could keep the squire down for long. It was partly why everyone liked her so much.

Upon being released, Gruki distanced herself from the excitable squire. 'Yo, Arbok, it's this way!' Gruki shouted after her, hooking a thumb out of the water and towards the rockface looming over them. Lou's idea to carry on was either very brave or very foolhardy.

Gruki wasn't sure if there was a difference.

Alouette Arbok

And so the tale went. Of shamans, dumbasses and wolves. Quite on brand for the Valen Wilds as far as himself was concerned, the recognition manifest as a sustained hint of a smile on his face. Though his attention was engaged, he allowed his gaze drift about their surrounding, passively observing.

Every once in a while the door would open, letting in a draft that hummed in the corners and sent all manner of fire into a shiver. To the lad’s conclusion he bobbed his head, not meeting eyes.

" Saved from your unfortunate, lonesome trial by the Order’s finest, then. Not a bad start. “ He commented in monotone, seriousness spiriting away his companionable cheer.

“ Syr Hector is one to look up to, were you ever of the mind to take example. He is skilled and measured, but not without humility. Beyond his years in many an aspect, which commands respect. Although— “ A narrowing of the eyes, considering, the cup held in an absent hover before him.

“ I’d prefer you kept me saying that to yourself. I’ve the reputation of a curmudgeon to uphold. “

Nacht

The cold air stung his face as he raced across the frozen lake with fervor and whimsy. Unable to fully understand the braking mechanics of his newly found source of magic, he bounced off many on his path. Luckily his stature was hardly imposing. Being mistaken for a child gave agency to his more chaotic side. He dipped, ducked, dodged, and dodged some more, tearing a path to the robed figure. As he closed the gap, he began to pivot his feet inward, pizza, pizza, pizza. A breaking technique he learned from another squire while shredding the slopes of Jah'ackson a year back. It didn't work. The blocks of ice defied him as they collided with one another in an attempt to careen him off course. He began to slowly spin. Oh gods. Laughter followed by worry. He buckled down, bent his knees, and slowly pushed the blocks of ice outward, straightening his pose all the while feeding into the pirouette. As his advance slowed he raised his arms with welcome towards the fellow magician.

"Run out? Oh, don't worry. These vials have a run time of about an hour. Usually." His smile faded as he tried recalling the exact time stamp.

"Let us flaunt our ingenuity, friend. My name is Flyn." The figure before him found their feet and had begun their icy journey. Flyn snuck a cheeky cloak grab to propel him in the same direction. Shake n bake.

Sam Fairbridge

• Wonder
Reactions: Alouette
“I know, right? I knew then in that moment that I wanted to be a knight like him. To save others. Yeah, that sounds childish, I guess, but…whatever, Y’know?” He’d state, speaking to Aaron but not looking quite…there. In truth, his reasons hadn’t been quite so noble. For the longest time, he had no purpose within the world and was conscious of that fact. He had wanted more for himself, and there was no reason this chance couldn't serve as just that. Nacht grimaced, ashamed that he would even think of using others' kindness this way. You're pretty pathetic for this, y'know that?

"I look at all the knights as role models, however reasonable that is, but Hector is an especially good one." He'd grin, remembering how in awe he had been of his savior. "But don't worry. I'll never rat out a fellow fanboy, rest assured." He'd click his tongue and throw out a thumbs up, smiling. Aarno really wasn't as antisocial as he made himself out to be, the boy had noticed, and he massively appreciated the self proclaimed "Curmudgeon" for tolerating and bantering with him. "If it means anything coming from me, you aren't exactly the worst person in the world either. Far from it."

"Did you have someone you looked up to as a Squire? Someone who was really nice or did nice things or had a good heart, stuff like that?"

Aarno

• Wonder
The promise, all in jest, pried an approving hnh out of him. There wasn’t much else to have for the things being expressed — hells, he even left the little compliment about the quality of his character undisputed.

Nay, he’d seen enough to realize there was ways to go yet to be the worst, though to count himself amongst the polar opposite would’ve been a stretch too. Leaning further into the topic, the lad wasted no time to ask whether he knew any of the latter kind. If he could name them.

He could, but there was no knowing if he truly wanted to. Whether it was prudent to keep listing out a select few, to air his preference in that vein and possibly speak overmuch for comfort, was uncertain. What of all those whom he didn’t think of, left unmentioned — a good heart forgotten, just because he personally lacked exposure to it.

At the hazard of appearing patronizing, he shrugged.

“ Looked up to — not really, but that is probably manifest by the fact of being up in the years. Call it being picky or wary, if you will. “ Aware of the unsatisfactory nature of the response, he drew breath to continue.

“ I’d say the Order as a whole, the culture within, has been a greater influence than any which single person. It was unsettling at first, to come amongst and gaze upon it all only to realize oneself imbued with this— “ A hand flicked at the air, his face twisting to a lopsided grimace.

“ Desperate feeling of wanting to belong. “ Disgusting, he might’ve called it some twenty years ago. No more. “ Does wonders to whomever isn’t easily motivated to change or act, community. My purpose, reasons and the fulfilment therein are more complicated, as they extend beyond the self, but that is a vanishingly small price for what you gain in turn. “

Catching himself rambling, he finished his tea.

“ No shame in doing things out of the simple wish to help, of course. “ To be someone’s saviour. “ In that you’re already way ahead of yours truly right here. “

Nacht

• Wonder
Reactions: Osuin and Alouette
A grin, from ear to half ear, and a memory made all the more clear by the frigid caress of cold air across bared skin, even as he shivered and shook neath his towel and watched Lori splash about.

Its not that he had actively planned to go to the jump, he thought with a warmth there in the pit of his stomach. His breath steadying as he found his fire. Sure, he had heard about the falls long before their arrival. And yes, he recalled Lorinna's tale of the Crumbling Keep. Remembered how tense she had been amidst the treetop village of Altamar.

He closed his eyes, and cut signs to seal the cantrip for his flame. A spark, Blue, and white, as small and frail as a hummingbird's heart, and every bit as fierce, panged to life. Pulsed. Beat. Grew warm with its wash of yellow and gold, orange and red.

It painted the rocks and the barges near by, and soon those who sought warmth quickly gathered around.

Hector opened his eyes, and couldn't quite shake the smile from his lips. Not that he knew it was there, past the cold and the warm, the light and the dark, laughter and screams. He was just glad to be there. With Lorinna, and Arbok, Gruki and Lou.

After all they had faced, they could still have a bit of fun. There was a potent fire in that.

Nacht picked his way through the response, not really getting much out of it but sensing that such a statement wasn’t all that the elder knight had to say. His instincts turned out to be correct, and he was awarded a substantially more lengthy explanation.

Nacht’s heart skipped a beat as Aarno explained that he felt a “feeling of wanting to belong”, noting how close in sentiment the phrase was to his own feelings. “Desperate, huh? Yeah, me too. That’s a good way to describe it. I don’t exactly know why getting up to train every day and building relationships with my fellow classmates seems to be so fun for me, but I have a feeling your thoughts might be pointing me in the right direction.”

Nacht then smiled, eyes narrowing and mouth breaking into a mischevious smile as he said: “But then again, my purposes. and reasons are more complicated, as they extend beyond the self,” He’d quote cheekily, then sip the last of the tea from its porcelain container. Had he ever been able to do this ever before? Just laze around and chat? Without losing his smile he would look back and realize…no, he hadn’t even had a friend before his entire life changed.

He felt a little weird then, and though he couldn’t see it, water had begun building up near the corner of his eye. The mass of water coalesced into a drop and ran down his face, a shiny little line of water barely visible in the firelight of the bar. “T-Thanks. That means a lot. Still though, I think I won’t be tromping around and saving farmers just yet. I’ll let responsible adults such as yourself solve the problems for now.” To that statement, he would hold out an only slightly humorous thumbs up.

Aarno

Last edited:
Hector led the pack, but he was also first out of the water. The newly knighted Syr Rookheart found the rescue barge all on his own. A warm blanket and a hot cup of coco was his to claim as Guernot helped him scramble aboard.

Guernot clapped a hand against the lad's shoulder. Let him smile and shake with the cold. He wouldn't lecture Hector on a night like this, but he make a note to remind the green Sworn of his basics, come morning. The cold shouldn't steal a Flame Knight's breath away so easily. Then again, maybe it wasn't the cold that did Hector in...

Lorinna was next. She didn't look like she needed rescuing, so Guernot left her well alone. It would be nice if at least one of their young'uns made it all the way to the edge of the world. And if Guernot had to bet on somebody, his money would be on the noble girl.

Or perhaps the bearkin, Arbok. To Guernot's surprise, though, she wasn't the one to lead the rest of the pack. It was little Alouette, flapping her arms like a bird and screaming all the way down. Then Arbok, and a flash of red hair that could only belong to Gruki.

The sight left Guernot exuberant. He wanted to leap back into the river, but he wouldn't. It was better if they all did this on their own. So he only laughed and hopped about. Water lapped at the edges of the barge as the whole vessel rocked under his weight.

"OIIIYE!!!" Guernot called out across the waters. "YOU CAN DO IT, SQUIRES! ALL THE WAY TO THE ROCKS!"

Alouette Lorinna Astarel Hector Arbok Gruki

Lorinna had started swimming hard. Not because she was interested in getting anywhere right now, but because moving it kept the chill away.

Hector opened his eyes, and couldn't quite shake the smile from his lips. Not that he knew it was there, past the cold and the warm, the light and the dark, laughter and screams. He was just glad to be there. With Lorinna, and Arbok, Gruki and Lou.

"OIIIYE!!!" Guernot called out across the waters. "YOU CAN DO IT, SQUIRES! ALL THE WAY TO THE ROCKS!"

Lorinna turned onto her side, kicking both feet to keep moving. She looked back to look at Syr Guernot, but her gaze quickly went to Hector.

Fire was better than swimming.

She turned herself around and swam right for Hector on his perch.

"Towel and fire. Towel and fire," she was repeating under her breath as she pulled herself out of the water.

• Wonder
Hector went wide eyed at the strong storm of limbs and splashes that raced across the surface of the lake. A warmth bloomed across his nose, just above his cheeks. The sprite of flame he had called forth was awash in a gentle flux of color.

Pinks turned to lilac, to teals, and bright blue with each strong pulse of the mote of fire.

When Lori pulled herself up, limbs all adrip, small clothes all cling, and soaked to the bone, the flame caught an electric white at its core. It's edges waved technicolor and resplendent as Hector only half averted his eyes with a small laugh, hands quick to pull the warm towel from his shoulders and draped it across Lorinna's. Roped her a little closer, to share the warmth, of course.

Flame magick had a curious side effect. Heated the blood. Made the flesh run hot. So he half stepped a bit closer. Sure as sure could be. "There she is,"

Lorinna Astarel

'That's what worries me,' Faramund grumbled, unable to hide his smile. Cydonia, whilst angelic-looking, was also devilishly peckish. If only she had shown up a few minutes ago, Petra could have fronted the cost. Putting the thought aside, the dawnling sighed, nodded along.

'Let's go find you something to eat,' he said. 'I'm sure between the three of us we'll be able to find what you're looking for.'

Or so one would hope. There was no shortage of confectionaries and eateries in Illun Serath. As frail as they appeared, the Moon elves sure did like their grub. Doubly so during the Festival of Lights. 'Shame you're here on a diplomatic mission,' he told Cydonia, clearing them a winding path through the crowds. 'I kind of wanted to see you ice skate.'

Of course, in some regards he was lucky. Had the dawnlings gone skating, he was sure he would have been roped into it, too. People seemed to enjoy watching him fall flat on his arse.

Syr Cydonia Petra Darthinian
"I don't know how much you're going to be able to watch her skate circles around you when you're falling on your ass, Fara." Petra quipped with a laugh. She grabbed casually onto the crook of Faramund's elbow and dragged him along. Her sights set on the grand prize of getting to try her mettle against the ice.

Syr Cydonia Faramund

A smug look came across Alex's face as the commotion came to settle. "The blind woman, love," her wings gave a proud buff and shake, primary feathers fanned before they folded up again, neatly upon her back.

There was a wicked satisfaction in knowing she had played some small part in the chaos. A warmth to the fresh memory of that look in Nere's eyes. As wide and clear as the ocean blue.

A smirk, as she took in the tangle of limbs, and her lips spread a little wider. "Be lucky to look half as good you as you, come thirty," she laughed and looked about. Another skater came by, a mousy looking book type. Alex nod to her. "You alright, Nere?"

Patience wore thin when it came to crowds, and yet Monroe lasted longer than she first thought while sitting on a bench and sketching a scene she could see from her seat. She was not one to be social, to caught up in the excitement and festivities. Odd choice of event, she more or less was persuaded to at least see the spectacle of this festival.

The bazaar proved too bustling for the lone Knight of Dawn.

She had packed her book and charcoal, wiping her fingers against her coat and moved on towards the falls.

When the roar of the falls and the commotion of spirited youths disturbed her idea of peace, she moved on again with a scathing scowl.

The ice skating rink offered a more peaceful atmosphere for Cathmore to revel in her isolation. Situating herself at a spot along the roots of Iunae, Monroe propped her book against her lap and began sketching a new scene. Despite only having charcoal on her person, she made the lanterns lit above work on her page, lightly rubbing and smudging edges to give that illusion of a glow.

• Wonder
Carried by his own momentum, Osuin slid over the icy lake on initially shaky legs. His full attention was focused on keeping himself steady – and upon a few moments, he had managed it fairly well. Sufficient to keep control on a straight path, turning or slowing were skills he'd yet to demonstrate. And he would soon have to, for the clearing he’d been skating through drew to an end. Osuin was careening on a path that crossed another skater on the lake.

With one foot forward and one foot back, he attempted to turn and slow himself. He’d shifted course just enough to narrowly miss crashing into that skater, but didn't quite have the balance to remain on his feet. Legs slipping in front of him, he landed flat on his ass and slid across the ice, while others weaved to avoid him. Helping hands did find him, once he'd slowed down enough for others to safely assist him back to his feet.

“You alright? Hurt anything?”

“Thanks. And no, just my pride. I’m all good.”
Osuin reassured him. He supposed his attempt could have gone worse.

It was time for a breather, and Osuin moved off the ice, blades carving into the snow with each plodding footstep he took. Taking a seat among others, he took a moment to simply watch the others for a bit of rest before giving it another attempt.

• Wonder
Means a lot — Did it, now?

He hazarded a glance then, meeting eyes lest his awkward avoidance to the sentiment be written much too clear. Made aware of the expression on the lad’s face, brave despite that one sorrowful stripe on the cheek, he didn’t know if he regretted it or not. Suppose there was meaning in it, additional weight to be caught.

One should appreciate it, he supposed. Wholly grave and on the surface unmoved, he leaned his cheek against his knuckles and looked away.

“ You won’t be required to, fresh as you are — though not all hope is lost. Might well get to during your training, as even squires participate in missions and regularly wander outside the monastery. “ Not always for particularly storybook or exciting purpose, but— One that mattered all the same.

“ Need not exactly be a responsible adult to solve problems, to help. Just easing of discomfort or other acute burden can mean life over death, down the line. “ Perhaps in bit too much depth there, yet again, but— Fuck if he hadn’t seen it be true one too many times. Just because you couldn’t make the entire issue go away, much too small and insignificant for a grand gesture, didn’t mean there wasn’t value to simpler intention and means.

Not that he was any less angry to whomever could afford everything thousandfold and yet lacked the intention to. Worse than monsters, ripe for slaying.

“ You can slay a monster to save a farmer from it, whole lot of fanfare and rightfully so, maybe— “ He shrugged, a fidget of one shoulder. “ Or you can fix their roof before it leaks and rots, spoiling the grain stored on the rafters or worse. “ Collapses? Despite the aloofness upon him, he made an effort at an encouraging tone.

“ If you’re of the mind to learn, I can teach you the latter. Come Spring. “

Nacht

• Wonder
  • Yay
Reactions: Alouette and Nacht
“The act of helping matters more than the magnitude of the act, then? That makes sense. I suppose if everything was exciting, all stories would be commonplace occurrences instead of wondrous tales.” He’d muse, mentally sifting through Aarno’s impromptu lecture. “Just like this conversation, in a way, but that might be a stretch. To me, speaking with you is interesting, and it matters less what the topic is and more that you are speaking with me at all.” He’d shrug a bit as though to say it was just a thought and then lean back, for a moment feeling the warmth of the fire and just...tuning everything out for a second.

That didn’t last long though, and Nacht reopened his eyes to continue speaking. “I’m doing alright in class, I guess, so hopefully my chance to tag along with some knights comes soon. Training is Training, and I dunno, not much conversation goes on for obvious reasons.” He’d say, fidgeting in his seat a bit by sitting straighter. “You seemed pretty aloof to me since we had never spoken, and that’s still the case, but unlike in training or the monastery, because the surroundings are so chill, you’ve shown me a side or two of you I didn’t know about.” He’d say, briefly breaking eye contact to eyeball the last drop of tea in his cup and decide not to impolitely try to get it.

“Isn’t that weird? Makes me wonder about the others and what they’re like.”
He’d say conspiratorially, as though sharing a secret. Just then, Nacht decided that his thirst for knowledge had crossed the line and become a hobby of some sort. Well, it wasn’t exactly a bad thing, and most of the trainers seemingly appreciated his paying attention.

Then, he was treated to a comment that surprised him more than anything thus far: “If you’re of the mind to learn, I could teach you the latter.” At Aarno’s offer, Nacht would choke, begin coughing, and succeed in smothering the coughing after a bit of effort. A wide smile formed and he chuckled a bit before responding. “Yeah, sure. Carpentry sounds like a good time.” He’d say, still a tad shocked. Almost like a Dad would teach his kid.

Then, perhaps because he was still a bit rattled, a random thought complimented the prior one: Wait, maybe Aarno’s more like a Grandfather given my age. The image of Aarno waving a cane at some children brought mirth to his eyes as he realized that scenario was not at all out of character.

Aarno