Private Tales Elucidation

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Medja

Empress Regent
Character Biography
Link
In the days following the Divan's decision to seat Medja on the Empire's throne life had only become more and more complicated. From planning a display that would earn the people's loyalty with Kiia, to assuming the responsibility of managing Annuakat's many idiosyncrasies, to continuing to conduct the several hundred members that made up the Imperial Hands, Medja found her time being occupied ever more. Things had gotten so busy that she had hardly even had time to debrief her protege, Princess Nymeasha Soleiman, on her personal mission that she'd embarked on some time ago. Settra had been cryptic in his meaning when he'd returned to report to Medja, stating only that she'd 'want to hear it straight from Nym.' She recalled it being slightly odd that the assassin was referring to the princess by such a casual moniker already, but brushed it off for the time being.

Today, in the wake of Amar Soleiman disrupting her schedule, Medja had managed to make time for Nym. By what likely felt like routine by now, Medja called the girl into her private office overlooking the gardens. For the moment she lounged, scrolls and paperwork scattered in organized chaos over her desk, and enjoyed the early afternoon sun. Once Nym arrived Medja would address the girl accordingly.
"Hello, darling. I'm sure you have things to tell me and questions to ask...as do I. I'll allow you to go first, however."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Nym
After her brother's unexpected visit, and Medja's even more surprising announcement, Nym took her time bathing off the grime of her few hours spent in the training grounds. Her mission to Salitra had almost cost her and Settra both their lives, and she'd only just been managing to deal with the revelations, and the physical and emotional journey she'd been on lately. Now the recent meeting had given her far more to think about. She needed time, a hot bath and a lot of wine. She needed Settra.

By the time she'd returned to Medja's office she felt somewhat more relaxed, dressed in comfortable white linens that revealed the still healing bruises on her body. Her dark waves were drawn up into a long ponytail, and she huffed at that unruly curled tress that tickled at her face when met with the warm breeze. Nym dipped her chin when addressed, and her bare feet carried her to sit across from the Empress, her fingers lacing together in her lap as she drew in a deep breath..

"Where to begin.." she laughed quietly, a sound of subtle exhaustion rather than amusement. "This was not what I had expected to return to." she told the woman calmly, her lips twitching slightly. It was clear that she required a little more recuperation, but even with her fatigue and bruising, there was no doubt that she looked better than she had back in Ragash.

"I followed your lead, and returned to Salitra to find that I had an uncle I'd known nothing about. An older brother of my father's, named Navran. A sorcerer, and a powerful one. To say that the battle was easily won would be a lie. He knew of you... Did you know of him? Of what he was capable of?" she asked with a soft frown. "He had full control over the man who had been put on my father's throne, full control of my family.." Perhaps even her father, for all she knew.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Medja
A long sigh escaped Medja's lips as she leaned forward onto her desk. This was...troubling news, to say the least. While she was happy that Nym had returned safely to the fold, Medja had been mentally preparing herself for what she'd have to say when she got back. This was definitely on the more unexpected side.

"Well...that at least partially answers one of my own questions." The Vizier tapped her desk with a long, well manicured fingernail. A bit of exposition was in store. "During the events leading up to the Siege of Bread I had agents in place to give the Empire an advantage when it came to information. Gerra had made it clear that he didn't want our advance to be a violent one, so I knew that plucking what knowledge I could from the inside would be paramount."

Leaning her forearms on the desk, Medja steepled her fingers as she continued to explain.
"Just prior to our siege my Sapphires informed me that they'd rooted out something of a local agency not unlike my own, operating in secret behind the Salitran throne. While this wasn't entirely unexpected, what was was that its leader had offered to induce disarray among your city's defenses, as well as 'vital information' in exchange for anonymity and a safe exit from the scene."

A bit of irritation entered her voice as she came upon her conclusion. While Medja had long since come to grips with the fact that she could not possibly know everything that happened in Amol-Kalit, it was rather vexing that such a man, this 'Navran,' could be doing as he pleased right under the Empire's nose for so long.
"So to answer your question, no, I had no idea. I had assumed that whoever was at the helm of that little operation had slinked quietly off into the desert to live out their days in obscurity. My people found no traces of his existence during their brief investigation, and Regent Assaf was installed shortly after." She leaned even further forward and rested her chin on the backs of her hands.
"Which leads me to one of my own questions, one that you've already partially answered: what happened to the representative regent?"

• Thoughtful
Nym's gaze faltered as Medja mentioned the siege of bread, a muscle feathering in her jaw, anger and shame over how blind she'd been, how manipulated. She filled two goblets of wine as she listened to the woman speak, giving a slow nod in understanding.

"Yes, we met one member of said agency, a mage named Zalika. Exceptionally well trained I gathered, a fair challenge for Settra but outmatched in the end, of course." she gave a small smirk of pride as she lifted her wine to sip. She set down the cup and cleared her throat a little awkwardly at Medja's question and offered up a sheepish smile.

"I'm afraid I cut his throat.. He was nothing more than a puppet, apologies for the waste." her lips thinned and she let out a sharp huff. "It seems Navran had been orchestrating everything in the city, and held influence over my father before. My father tried to hide my existence from him, perhaps he believed I might kill him one day. I suppose he was right." she shrugged nonchalantly and lifted her cup to lounge back into her chair.

"We shall have to root out any others who might have been working for Navran, I'm unsure how many he had in his employ." she said, idly tapping her fingers on her goblet, her gaze distant for a moment before she drew in a breath and let out a deep sigh.

"Regardless, I can now let the matter rest in my mind and move on from it. Thank you for allowing me to do so, and for sparing Settra to accompany me. I owe him my life several times over." she dipped her chin.

• Popcorn
All very curious. Medja mulled over the details as Nym filled her in, deciding internally as she did that the Vizier would need to send a group to due a more in-depth investigation. If this 'Navran' was indeed so deeply rooted into the inner workings of Salitra then the last thing the Empire needed was someone else taking up his torch. The loss of a relatively competent governor was regrettable, but certainly not the end of the world. In the meantime Medja offered what support she could to the burgeoning princess.
"In any case, I am glad that you made it back safe and sound, and that you've been able to tie off some loose ends.."

There was something else that was bugging the Vizier, however, something she could read in the girl's body language and tone that was catching her attention. Rather than respond to any of the prior information that was offered up, Medja's attention finally snapped to the girl's repeated mentions of Settra. The Vizier's gaze scrutinously narrowed on the girl a moment before Medja leaned back in her chair and folded her arms across her chest, a slight smirk creasing the corners of her lips.
"Nymeasha Soleiman, you are not fucking my assassin!" She chided the girl jestingly. After a moment of awkward silence, however, Medja's eyes widened and she couldn't contain a scandalous smile. "Gods' graces, you are!"

• Ctuhlu senpai
Nym nodded in agreement when it came to loose ends, and she had been idly swirling her wine when she noticed the scrutinising look Medja was giving her, and the growing amusement on the woman's face. Her brow quirked in mute question, though as the realisation hit her, Nym could only blink and her lips parted before quickly closing when she could find no words to respond with.

Her blood heated, a rosy hue blooming on her cheeks as she ran her fingers through the loose tresses of dark waves, avoiding looking back at that grin for fear of laughing. "I.." she started before pressing her lips thin and letting out a huff.

"It wasn't exactly planned." her eyes rolled and she failed to fight the smirk that tugged at the corner of her mouth as she cast a sidelong glance at the Empress before leaning forward and pouring a little more wine. "He was very... attentive." she cleared her throat and shook her head. "Anyway, the matter isn't on our topics for discussion." her brows rose, trying to shift her expression back to something more serious.

"Now, this matter of you sending me back home..." her head tilted.

• Smug
The princess' squirming was enjoyable to watch, but Medja briefly lit up when she came clean. In truth she'd been silently worried about Uvogin's departure and the effect it had on the girl's confidence, but it seemed that some problems solved themselves. Nonetheless, the Vizier couldn't help but give Nym a pout when she shifted the topic back onto more serious matters. Mistress of information or no, good gossip was so hard to come by these days. She sighed audibly, leaning her head to rest in her palm.

"Very well, very well. I suppose it's none of my business, anyway." She acquiesced, shifting herself into a more proper pose. "Yes...I had meant to discuss it with you earlier, but with the way things are going right now and your 'dear' brother's intrusion, well..."

She trailed off a moment, knowing that Nym was well aware of current events. She locked eyes with the princess and spoke the truth.
"I think you know me somewhat by now, Nym. I don't trust many people in this world, not really. But you...you've earned my implicit trust. Not only is it your birthright, I can think of no one better to rule Salitra."

Another small sigh escaped the Vizier's lips. That was a lot of responsibility to shift onto the girl's shoulders, especially at her age. Medja would not force her, nor pressure her into such a situation, and she had to make that clear.
"It is, of course, up to you, darling. I know how much you value your freedom...the last thing I want to do is strip away your choice."

• Bless
Nym couldn't help but smirk at Medja's obvious disappointment that she wasn't about to sit and gossip about the assassin. Perhaps later, when she'd had more mind and worked out what in the Gods names she was going to do about the proposition set before her.

She listened to the vizier speak, her gaze narrowing slightly with the warm smile on her lips. "I am honoured that you'd give me such trust. Though I.." she sighed, dropping her gaze into her cup for a moment as though she might find the answer there. She hadn't ever found any answers there. "I would need advisors, and loyal men and women to accompany me. I don't know how to rule, I never wanted to but.." she trailed off, conflicted, and turned to frown at the world outside.

"On one hand I want to make the city a better place than what my father did. I don't want my name to mean what it means to people, I want it to be a name that people speak of with admiration, not fear or anger, or disgust.." A muscle feathered in her jaw and she tapped idly at the stem of her goblet.

"On the other. What if I can't?.. All I know is what I do, it's all I've ever been good at. What about you? I don't want to leave you. I don't..want to leave Settra." she looked back to Medja, a look of hopelessness on her face. "The decision is not an easy one to make."

• Cthuulove
Medja offered the girl a comforting smile. Doubt was the natural response when confronted with such a daunting task, and it was the Vizier's position to ease such doubts.
"I would never send you off to do this alone. The Hands will be there to help you however they can, be that through advice, protection, or otherwise. And you can always fall back on me when you need to, darling." She assured the girl confidently. The desk was professional and everything, but now Medja felt a more personal touch was needed. She rose from her seat and circled around, pulling another, less extravagant chair over to sit beside Nym.

"I believe that you can make the difference you seek, Nym." Medja stated as she took her seat beside the princess. "So many rulers in this world are so disconnected from their own kingdoms, raised from youth to be spoiled, only to inherit a throne that they squander. But you? You're a fresh slate. You can learn to rule in your own way, at your own pace."

The Vizier brushed the hair from Nym's face and gently lifted the girl's chin as she spoke, smiling warmly.
"As for me? I'm never far, darling. If my experience with Gerra was anything to go off of, things should slow down once I'm actually seated on the throne. There will be plenty of visits, I assure you. I couldn't go long without seeing you anyways, I don't think." The smile gave way to a knowing smirk as she continued. "And as for Settra...while I'd certainly miss his particular skillset and rate of success, I see no reason why I couldn't reassign him to be your own personal Hand."

Finally, Medja wrapped a comforting arm around Nymeasha's shoulder.
"I don't need, nor do I expect an answer today, darling. Take all the time you need. Go see the world if you'd like. And don't be afraid to tell me 'no.' I'm a big girl, I can handle it." She finished with a sincere smile and a boop of Nym's nose.

• Cthuulove
Nym's gaze was in her empty cup until Medja sat beside her and she lifted her emerald gaze to meet hers as the woman spoke of her belief in her, a belief she had never had in herself. Nym had never had to stand on her own two feet. She was a weapon, sharpened and used and put away, she had never had any decisions to make nor anyone to command. This, this was a leap, and very great height to fall from.

She allowed the woman to offer her comforting touches and leaned into them like a body seeking shelter from a storm. Nym nodded slowly at the reassurances, and her brow quirked as Settra was pulled into the bargain. She managed a chuckle at the playful conclusion, and rested against her with a deep sigh.

"Nobody has ever put this sort of faith in me. And whilst I'm incredibly touched, and grateful. I'm terrified of failing you. I could've gone and seen the world the day you gave me my freedom but, I wanted to stay and serve someone that I believed in.." she frowned. "Though... To fix what my father ruined. I think I owe them that.." she looked to Medja, the fear quite plain on her features.

Nym had been a ghost, never a public figure, she struggled not to hide herself away in social situations or events, and now she was talking about stepping into the limelight her family had lived in. Her palms were clammy and the nausea churned in her stomach.

Settra. He seemed to know her better than she knew herself already. If there was anyone, other than Medja or Lani who could ease her mind it was the assassin. "I will accept, on those terms, and on the basis that you present it to Settra as a choice and not an order. He deserves a choice too, it's been his life to serve you, I won't assume to drag him away from your side." she nodded and held up her empty cup.

"Now. I need a lot more wine." she smirked nervously.

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Medja squeezed Nym tight and rubbed her arm reassuringly. She knew this wouldn't be an easy transition for the girl, and an even more difficult responsibility to take on...but she stood by her intuition. Princess Nymeasha was the only proper fit to Salitra's throne.
"I know that I have high standards when it comes to those I work with, but I'm well aware that you're not experienced with ruling. I don't expect immediate perfection, dear. That said..." Medja's voice faltered and, to her own surprise, she had to fight back the gathering wetness at the corners of her eyes. She steadied herself with a deep breath before continuing. "I see greatness in you. You're so much more than what your father tried to make you. You just don't know it yet."

Nym really had become quite attached to that assassin of hers, hadn't she? How wonderful that was for both of them, truly. The princess had suffered her share of heartbreak, but Settra...Medja had often wondered if he'd had desires or ambitions of his own at all. He'd been raised as nothing more than an empty shell with a focused purpose, denied an identity of his own until Medja took him in. It warmed the sorceress' heart to know that he was finally breaking out of that shell.
"Settra's path has been his own from the moment he came under my employ. That's how it is with all of the Hands; they have always been bound to me by loyalty over anything else." She pointed out thoughtfully, ever confident in the bonds she'd forged with her followers, and in the bonds they shared with each other. She offered Nym a knowing grin. "I'll give him his choice of assignments, but I have a feeling he'll take the option that makes all three of us happy."

The Vizier clapped her hands together softly and two more vessels of wine were brought into the office by a servant. The servant placed the vessels down on a bronze tray on the desk before filling fresh cups for both of the women. Medja graciously took the cup and smiled at Nym.
"One nice thing about living in Annuakat, darling: Prince Mago's vineyards."

• Cthuulove
Nym's chest ached at the reassurance and praise that her mentor offered her, her brow lifting at the emotion in her tone, in her eyes. "Medja the Smiter.." she said in surprise, lowering her tone to a whisper as she asked. "Are you getting emotional on me?..." she gasped quietly and laughed, but reached to give the woman's hand a squeeze.

"That means more to me than you know." she nodded a little more seriously. "I trust you. And if this is what you see then who am I to doubt that?" she smirked.

She tried to avoid that knowing grin as they discussed Settra, but she failed and flustered under the mercy of the Vizier's gaze, clearing her throat awkwardly. "Thank you. He just..." she frowned, looking for the words. "Settles me." her head shook as though it sounded ridiculous, but the man's very presence had been a comfort to her on the coldest of nights and the most dire of predicaments. She trusted him wholly, and she was going to need people she could trust by her side.

As the wine was served, Nym took her cup and smiled in thanks to the server, chuckling softly at Medja's words. She turned to her, lifting her cup in a toast. "To women, ruling the world. Long may we reign." she grinned, and drank.

• Dab
The Vizier of Stars laughed softly and returned her protege's little squeeze of the hand.
"Come now, darling..." She replied with a small sniff. "I have a reputation to keep but I'm not heartless."

"I trust you. And if this is what you see then who am I to doubt that?"

"Now that's the strong young woman I've come to know. You'll be brilliant, Nym, I know it." Medja assured her, beaming with pride. Nym had come so far in such a short time and Medja had come to see that she was positively brimming with potential. If the girl put her mind to it she could do whatever she wanted.

"Thank you. He just..." she frowned, looking for the words. "Settles me."

Medja smiled again and stroked the princess' hair. She found Nym's awkward avoidance of the subject to be endearing and elicited a polite giggle from the Vizier.
"You've nothing to be embarrassed about, dear. I've had my share of those over the years." She waved her hand about as if to dismiss any shame the girl might've been feeling. "Besides, if I've learned anything about Settra it's that he loves to please. You've picked a good one -- one that won't let you down."

"To women, ruling the world. Long may we reign."

Now that was a sentiment the Empress-to-be could drink to. She took her own cup in hand and raised it high, glowing with pride and satisfaction.

"Long may we reign."

• Cthuulove