Open Chronicles Dirty money

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Draedamyr

Mage Hunter
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

Draedamyr was woken by the wagon striking another bump. "Road" was perhaps giving the worn track more credit than it deserved. The bump had merely been larger than all the other ones that made up their path. Rolling his head he stretched his neck. Even through the canvas over the wagon he could see that the sun was getting low. If everything was going to plan they would soon be at the ruins of the fort.

In the front of the two wages were some of the baron's men. They appeared unarmed, but would be handed crossbows as soon as possible. Several others hid in the back of the wagon in place of the coin the bandits were expecting.

"Was it fifteen bandits and one mage for hire?" he asked. He knew the answer, but he was now wide awake and bored.

Concept:
  • From the ruins of a castle a group of brigands and their mage have been harassing a trade road. They have demanded a tithe from the local baron to leave. Our party is tasked with "delivering" the few on a wagon, but actually have orders to deal with the problem directly. It turns out the brigands are mercenaries employed by the baron and the tithe is their fair lay he refused to give them.
Riekard Southbridge
Tyrannus

The opening gives some time for a conversation and to work out who is who on this little trip.

My usual open thread guide:
  • No strict posting order
  • Watch the thread
  • I have no end in mind above what is written above (no DM'ing here)

As far as jobs went, clearing out a few bandits was right up James’s alley. Add on the benefit of a few others, and the element of surprise, and he wasn’t that against taking the easy money. Lords knew he needed it, as the Allirian loan sharks closed in once again for their pittance interest payment. Good thing James didn’t have an outright home, or they’d of caught up to him by now.

With the thought of outwitting criminals grew a smile on his lips, he glanced down to the book he was reading. It was a gift from a friend in Elbion, and as much as James appreciated it he didn’t have the heart to tell them he couldn't read. So instead, he simply stared at it, trying to see if at some point it would make sense just what he was looking at; yet it never came. The words were odd, jumbled symbols many leagues above him in reading comprehension, but he still idled on them. Occasionally, as if to increase his capacity for thought, he’d furrow his brow as though he were coming close to figuring the first of the words out; but he never did.

At least there were a few drawings in the book.

Something like that.”, a member of the Baron’s party offered back to Draedmyr.

James, without offering anything to the conversation, decided perhaps it was time to put away his prized paper weight and get ready. As per deserving his esteemed position as hired muscle, of course.

Riekard SouthbridgeTyrannusDraedamyr

Luna was frustrated as she perched outside of the castle ruins she need to enter. Her master had called her to the ruins with the promise of an ancient scroll of healing and when she arrived she found this bandit filth infesting the place..too many for her to take on by herself. She was only a priestess after all.

She huffed again kicking a rock. childish she knew but it was quite the journey just to be stopped by a group of ratty raiders. She spotted a wagon moving down the road farther up from the ruins. They needed to be warned. those bandits would pounce if they got the chance.
"Bastellen guide me.." she prayed as she lept from her perch on a cliff and landed lightly on the balls of her feet before heading for the wagon bumping along the road. she sat slightly a head and trying to wave the wagon to a stop.
"Bandits are ahead friend.." she said like she was almost going to yawn it out. strong emotion wasnt something she really understood or showed very well.

• Yay
Reactions: Raigryn Vayd
Reikard had been awake for most of the trip, thinking about the latest job he took on. The bandits who were causing trouble along the trade route were the real villains of Arethil, none of them cared about the impacts they brought upon people. Yes, he may be a bandit himself, but taking everything they had was not in his vocabulary. The sole reason he took this job was to rid the vermin, so no one else would suffer. ....And maybe to get some easy gold....

Orange sunlight now and then beamed through the gap of the canvas, shining into his half covered face. A black hood and balaclava sealed his identity for now, only a pair of sharp blue eyes were on show. Silence filled the wagon until a strange looking man spoke out "Was it fifteen bandits and one mage for hire?" which was soon answered briefly by one of the barons men.

After a brief yawn he slowly lifted his quiver of arrows, relocating the holder to his lap. From there he studied and counted every projectile, preparing for the imminent battle ahead.

• Yay
Reactions: Raigryn Vayd
general la'ue sat with 3 of his men in some bushes the ruins wernt far. his other men were tracking down some leads on some other business. there had been reports of bandits in this area as a favor to the leader of these furrless folk and in hopes of building good ties. the general offerd to lend his mens lives to be sure that the ambush was successful and the bandits wont have a clue what hit them. with lionmen jumping from the Forrest and mercenaries jumping from a wagon it shouldn't be too hard to defeat them. it was almost time with the ruins in site i could see the wagon coming to a furrless folk that was waveing to them. could they be with the bandits? my third in command took a wiff of the air and fround. i took a wiff too but could not smell anything. wich was odd being down wind of the wagon we should be able to smell them. we waited for the right moment. when the battle starts we will pounce but not a moment before

Unrolling his pack next to himself, Draedamyr pulled a light crossbow onto his lap. He picked up a set of bolts, running his delicate fingers down them and then spinning each in turn on the tip of a finger. The display of dexterity was to achieve nothing more than pick the straightest bolt. Crossbows were such unsavoury weapons, but he was only planning on firing it once.

Feeling a breeze across his neck, Draedamyr leaned back and pulled the canvas tight again. He caught sight of the hill fort he assumed they were heading for. It wouldn't have been that large even when complete. More of a watchtower than a castle in his estimation. It still probably would have taken the baron a few hundred men to take by force. And the bandits would likely flee at a faster pace than a large force could follow at.

"We're nearly there." He brought his eye to the canvas again, peering through the ringlets where the rope bound it. Five men had assembled where the 'road' wound up to what would have been a gatehouse. "They look better armed than most bandits."

"Hush!" called one of the drivers. "Remember: when I say 'reward' we fight."

"We're nearly there." He brought his eye to the canvas again, peering through the ringlets where the rope bound it. Five men had assembled where the 'road' wound up to what would have been a gatehouse. "They look better armed than most bandits."

In the back of the wagon, Kaori sat with her back to the drivers bench. She had held her eyes closed, her body swaying gently with the movement of the wagon over the rutted path. She wore simple clothes (a saffron colored tunic, brown wool breeches, and soft soled doeskin boots), and had her hair bound into a loose tail behind her head.

"Hush!" called one of the drivers. "Remember: when I say 'reward' we fight."

A smile split her face as her eyes opened. Nothing else seemed to move on her body, but there was an aura of readiness to her that hadn't been there before.

"Don't suppose we should try ta talk to 'em first." She said, eyes tracking to Draedamyr for a moment. She had an odd, highland accent to her voice that lilted, though in a distinctly not Elven manner. Her voice held traces of sarcasm, for she knew that this was currently beyond conversation. "You all start the fight, I'll take ta the shadows ta see 'bout that tower."

Jame Hawthorne Luna Slateforge Riekard Southbridge Kaori

"Bit late to change the plan," he muttered quietly. As carefully as possible he turned over and slotted a bolt into his crossbow.

"They can talk if they surrender..."

Not that the brigand on the right would get a chance. Draedamyr had one eye peering through the canvas as the wagon came to a stop. He brought the crossbow close to the canvas and lined up the shot.

• Yay
Reactions: Kaori
my men and i approached closer. one of my men began chanting incantations to better hide our magic. mages can sense other mages so its key that my man is able to hold the spell up until we attack. he whispers the spell to himself in our ancient tongue.

"why dont we just take them out our self's its 4 mages against one and with that hand full of men why bother with an ambush they will be little to no match." one of my men whispers in frustration.

"this is not our command we attack when they do one of you will remain close behind and cast healing spells dont bother with the furless folk only heal our own thats an order"

i turn my focus back on the wagon as it approaches the bandits

• Yay
Reactions: Draedamyr
Ahem...fixing the fact that I didn't read a post properly.

"Bastellen guide me.." she prayed as she lept from her perch on a cliff and landed lightly on the balls of her feet before heading for the wagon bumping along the road. she sat slightly a head and trying to wave the wagon to a stop.
"Bandits are ahead friend.." she said like she was almost going to yawn it out. strong emotion wasnt something she really understood or showed very well.

It turned out they had stopped for the newcomer.

"Why is she stopping us?" Draedamyr hissed, pulling his crossbow back out of sight. Someone had was waving for the wagon to stop. They could see the bandits further up the road in the remains of the fort waiting for them.

"We know lass, taking them payment from the baron to leave these lands," called the driver impatiently.

Draedamyr waved for the others in the back to stay quite still, hoping they weren't spotted. There was every chance she was a scout from the fort.

Reikard just sat their silently as the others talked amongst themselves, one person wanted to check out the tower alone which was obvious suicide. That Mage was most likely going to be there out of all places, yet she wanted to go alone? That's just stupid talk.

Suddenly, the carriage stopped and a voice was heard outside. From inside it was muffled, but if you heard closely enough the voice was one of a woman. The strange warrior told them to keep it down, if they wanted to take these bandits by surprise no one should know, even a random person passing by.

He looked over to Drae and signalled to get this carriage moving again, the more they waited, the more chance of them getting noticed on the way there.

• Yay
Luna arched an eyebrow. The driver seemed impatient more than likely trying to get the job over with quickly, and if the baron was so weak bandits had to be paid to leave and not simply ran out..well it was no concern of hers.

"Of course...Well I just wanted to warn you. I have business at that fort but those bandits are too many for me to fight alone. If they're leaving after you pay them I was wondering if I could possibly hitch a ride? I have some gold if you would like to be compensated for taking me and If your the barons men im sure traveling with you would be safer than walking there alone."

She said in a bored monotone pulling out a small bag of gold, and holding it up to the driver with a slight, curious tilt of her head.

• Yay
Draedamyr turned the tip of his crossbow towards the sound of the voice. There was a chance the bolt would be deflected by the thick canvas, but any chance to change the odds.

Outside the driver looked down at the bag being held before him.

"Wait here lass, we'll give you a ride back down the trail after our business is done." He wasn't going to let the stranger into the wagon to cause a scene when she found an armed party, but he had no issue with giving someone a lift back.

Draedamyr listened carefully, lowering the cross bow a fraction. He placed a finger over his lips.

my men and i watched for the wagon below hiding behind an illusion shield on top of a high rock. we had to change positions as my men warned me that it was harder to see them from ground level. two of my men were each now chanting to them self's, my second was crouched beside me as i scanned the road. my second being a young warrior had no trouble spotting the wagon once more as we realized it was stopped by an unknown figure.

"now who are you little girl" i said chuckling to myself. she was speaking to the driver it seemed.

"why dont we attack!" my second wined once more.

" forget these humans!!! we dont need them!" my second hisses eager to sink his claws into flesh.

tired of hearing about it again i bat him upside the head with my fist.

"watch your tongue, heed my wisdom"

he shakes his head a few times and takes a few steps away from me. i return focus to the wagon.

this was rather peculiar we had taken a perimeter sweep a few times before re approaching the road we should have spotted the girl or at least smelt her but nothing.

Kaori slipped through a slit in the other side of the wagon and slid silently to the ground. She moved to a small rock outcropping that occluded her from the sight of the brigands further up the road and was soon out of sight to even the wagon.

Moving with measured grace, she crawled out wide to the side of the road, where the shrubbery and rocks were more plentiful. She kept low to the ground as the wagon slowly approached the armed bandits. Her careful movements caused her to fall a bit behind the progress of the wagon, but that was just as well. Her job was to make sure the tower was clear while the fight raged on the road.

Slowly, carefully, Kaori approached the tower.

Reikard slowly turned his head and looked down the wagon, noticing someone had slipped out without them knowing. The other men hadn't noticed yet, but that girl at the back decided to take matters into her own hands. What a foolish move, it was obvious she was going for that tower mentioned earlier. Who knew what lurked in that ruined structure, maybe a trap or Mage will soon send her running back.

But right now this wagon was going nowhere, and the day was starting to pack up. This "mission" was only going to get harder has time progressed.

Last edited:
"Fair enough..." she said after a moment. Someone seemed to slip away from the wagon train but that was none of Lunas concern. it seemed the wagon was getting antsy so rather than press the issue she simply bowed slightly and stepped further to the side of the road allowing them to pass, and taking her leave like a ghost as she seemed to vanish into forest with out a sound.

The shadows and darkness of the trees seemed to swallow her. She would watch the ruins and make her approach when it was clear. soon was sitting in a very nice tall tree with a good view of the tower and the approaching wagons. time to see how much the baron was paying she thought to herself..

• Yay
Reactions: Kaori and Draedamyr
The wagon came to a halt ten yards from the group of bandits. Draedamyr took his his crossbow once more. The soldier on his side of the wagon walked closer to the driver.

"This is the money we're owed?" he asked.

"Everything the baron told you he would pay."

"Can you get..."

The next word died in the throat of the bandit, stuck there by the quarrel Draedamyr had fired.

"You were supposed to wait for the signal!" the driver shouted as he pulled a heavy mace from under his seat.

Draedamyr ignored him. His blade flashed upwards, cutting himself an opening in the canvas. Despite being seven hundred years old, despite being able to meditate on a single thought for days in silence, when it came to the politicking of humans he grew bored very easily.

• Yay
Reactions: Kaori
we watched the wagon closely. it continued on from the odd girl and came to a stop in front of the bandits.

"medic its time." the medic knew what to do he continued his chants all while pulling out a bowel along with a rock wrapped in wet leaves and cloth. from the rock he pulled moss and dropped it into the bowel. he pulled a knife and cut himself allowing the blood to drip into the bowel. he chanted a different word in between his spells for masking our presence. this was a form of spell casting allowing the caster to cast two spells at once. the blood boiled and each of us excluding the medic took a drink of the frothy blood.

this was a healing ritual. with his blood in our veins he could better feel our life force on the battle feald so that he knows who is in need of the most care.

"lets join the party boys." my men look giddy. the moss has an added effect of energy and more vigor on the battleground.

they drop there masking spells and we begin jumping from rock to rock down into the surrounding trees and into the thick of things. two of us pull ahead and charge into battle first. a deafening war cry is heard from all of us.

"we fight for the baron of this land!" i announce plunging a sword deep into the chest of the first bandit i see. i look into his fading life force with delight. "and we shan't be leaving until all of your heads are collected!" i yell trying to strike fear in my enemy this is a common practice when your a lonely general without access to a full compliment of men

an arrow flies past my ear and i duck. turning with sword in hand. a panicked bandit has found himself cornered as we entered the battle from the flank not noticing that one guy was resting beside a wall now with 4 pure bloods surrounding him. i spoke a short spell that causes instant sleep. he falls to the ground.

"come quick! more enemy's over here" my second yells running towards the group of other mercenary's hired for this job fighting a gaggle of men

i look to the tower and order my medic to follow me and our forth man to cover my second.

"lets see what there is to see." i say smirking at my medic

Reikard jumped out of his seat and exited the wagon with his bow and arrow in haste, running away from the initial battle and towards the ruins. He was looking for a high angle which overlooked the battle beneath him, somewhere he could provide support for the barons troops. He carefully walked through the dismantled area, the clanging of swords and yells being heard not far away. Suddenly, a scared looking man came running around the corner, his sword still barely in hand as he constantly looked behind. With a quick draw of an arrow the boy draws back and shoots the projectile into his knee, a loud scream being released on impact as he fell to the floor in agony.

He quickly ran over and put a foot on his chest, ready to deliver the final blow to this low life bandit "T-T-those beasts a-are here!" he shouts in panic, his eyes darting everywhere "What beasts?" Reikard replies in his strange accent, but before another word could come the bandit passed out "That doesn't seem like good news, we're not the only ones fighting this battle" he thinks to himself, before lifting his foot of him and walking to a nearby stone doorway.

That's when he saw them, a group of four furry beasts were making their way in the direction of the overlooking tower not far from where he was standing. That girl was probably still in there and if those strange beings liked meat she was sure to be on the menu. It was a bad idea to help her but at the same time that tower could be a good spot to fire down upon them, which would be key in their support. Reikard sighs to himself before slowly setting off again, following the lion men at a distance and keeping silent as possible, lets just hope they dont have a good sense of smell...

Reikard sighs to himself before slowly setting off again, following the lion men at a distance and keeping silent as possible, lets just hope they dont have a good sense of smell...

my medic and i look towards the tower. there was something there. something with power i could feel it. my medic began chanting protection spells while wrapping his arm in cloth. the cut he had inflicted on himself would have to wait we have a mission. not just the barons quest. the mission that was bestowed on me by the gods and the royal empire who serves them. my king would want me to search this place to gain power to aid in the war that plagues our lands.

then i feel it. the moss and its sense heightening powers made it clear to me. we,re being followed. i can feel the creatures life force.
i continue walking never breaking stride. my medic stops his chants sensing my un eases.

"what is it?" he says looking behind us.

"something small is following us" i say in my deep gravely voice.

my medic doesn't look re assured by that he restarts his chanting casting a different spell. we vanish as though we were never there invisible to all. this is a hard spell and i could see blood dripping from my medics eyes.

"cut that out you coward" i snap he stops the spell and we re appear.

"whom ever has picked up our trail if ye be bandit or another state your reason for following us. " i growl to the air around us hoping they hear me

"we do the barons bidding and he does not look kindly on thieves" my medic adds hopefully drawing the foe out

Reikard had been following these things for a few minutes and they were drawing near to the tower, whoever they were, the group seemed to be well organised. But he still wasn't sure about their intention or stance, that's why he needed to be positive. Suddenly, as he hid behind a ruined wall the deep gravely voice of one them filled the air, it seemed to know his presence. Followed quickly by a second less authoritative voice, which strangely mentioned the baron.

He thought for a few seconds about his next move, were they really hired by him? or was it a trap? there was only one way to find out... "No offence, but I doubt the baron would hire a bunch of beasts to do his handy work" shouts Reikard back to them who is silently still navigating through the ruins towards the tower ahead of him "Come on, your not here for the bandits are you?" shouts the boy again, his strange accent shining through once more.

i smirk. a young boy was the follower how intriguing

"i assure u that i am no beast. im a general in the royal army of the pure blood tribe. i am here to rid the barron of his little bandit issue. if you had any sense in that small human head of yours you would know of the power streaming from this earea. the mage is most certainly here." i sigh my obligations as a follower of the darkness supersedes my distaste for humans

"the darkness teaches us that all are worthy of its protection followers of the dark are destined to protect the weak in hopes that they will learn of the darkness and join it one day"

my medic looks at me strangely trying to figure out my plan no doubt

"what i mean to say is. if you want to live take a place between my medic and i. we will protect you. simple human weapons will not do. however if not id advise joining the human battle down below this is a job for magic folk only." and with that a turn back towards the tower. i continue on not caring if the human had exited his hiding spot.my medic speaks timidly

"sir is it a good idea to-" i cut him off

"the gods dictate what we do our actions and ideas are already written in stone. it is our job to fulfill the path we are given if the boy dies this day it will be that the gods wanted it this way. it is our duty to protect the weak it has been this way for centurys do not question the darkness"

he looks confused by my answer. the gods are hard to interpret sometimes and some interpretations are hard to interpret, this is how it is.