Open Chronicles Dangerous Seas Traveled...

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Aalina Eder

Loyalty Above All
Character Biography
Link
As one of the largest sea ports in all of Arethil, Alliria served a wealth of ships, from the grandest warships to the smallest sloops. Trade and merchant vessels, ships designed for naval war, and personal yachts made dock within the city's bay. It was a marvel of a sight to be sure. All along the pier, as far as the eye could see were market stands, vendors aimed at both rich and poor peddling their wares to both the city-folk as well as those arriving and departing the harbor. Endless opportunity for those willing to work.

Signs posted all around sought deckhands for various vessels while others listed passage to far away lands, for a fee of course. But of all the writs posted about the pier, the most intriguing one might find was that of a maiden voyage aboard Asherah's Ruby. A large, one of a kind ship, equipped with weapons of war, but outfitted to be as welcoming as a noble's personal yacht. Listed on the manifest were requests for seasoned warriors, any with tracking, navigation, or nature talent, as well as those of arcane knowledge, right down to the common passenger seeking adventure and intrigue.

What, exactly the voyage was? A month long excursion to the east, to an uncharted island chain that had been rumored to possess the ruins belonging to an ancient tribe of warrior mages that mysteriously vanished. Supposedly, according to legend, they left behind vast riches and knowledge pertaining to their civilization. Captain Greulgar intended on rediscovering that island chain, and promised equal shares of the findings to all who aided in this venture.

Aalina had discovered the missive earlier in the day, contemplating the opportunity for wealth and fortune, though hardly expecting to find either. If nothing else it would be a chance to escape Alliria with a crew to serve that would not judge her for her past. For hours she ambled about on the pier, looking for anything else that may fancy someone with her talents. It seemed though, that this voyage into the unknown held about as good a promise for gold as any other, though perhaps included rather gracious accommodations, and thus she had returned to the elaborate ship still docked at its berth to sign on as crew. Aalina's responsibilities would be that of securing the ship and maintaining order once they'd set sail.

Asherah's Ruby was to set sail by sundown.

Last edited:
"Dyna, I think you're taking this whole...independence thing a bit too far." Galebria Notorez, Valdyna's best friend at the University Arcane in Alliria, said as she walked Dyna towards the docks. "Having your family pay couldn't be so bad as to force you to do...this." She finished, motioning at Asherah's Ruby.

"Bree, I can't really explain it. Vel Anir's high society is...caustic. The further away from it we can be, the better." She replied with a smile. She was geared for adventure, with pack, sword, and spell components she might need on the voyage. "Besides, this is a chance for me to learn about magic that may have been lost for centuries."

Valdyna was obviously excited, as they stopped before the gangplank onto the ship.

"It'll just be a few months, Bree, than I'll be back with too many stories to tell in one sitting." She leaned forward and hugged her friend, who still looked apprehensive at Dyna's leaving.

Valdyna didn't stay for an elongated goodbye. The hug ended, and she waved, then boarded the ship.

At the top of the gangplank, she saw another red head moving around (Aalina Eder). She was about to step onto the ship, when she remembered her decorum. She cleared her throat.

"Permission to come aboard?" She asked, speaking loudly so she knew the red head and other deck hands heard her.

Valdyna Weiroon Aalina Eder
Sigfrith paused to trace his finger along the missive posted regarding the quest. Equal shares in wealth were intriguing, certainly, but he was well-provided for already. But then, if his plan was to succeed, he would need more gold. Far more gold to reclaim his ancestral halls.

And perhaps they had more information in these abandoned islands about runes and about the weaknesses of dragons. That would be his greatest concern in the near future. Runes were only good when prepared ahead of time. And for that, he needed to know more about their weaknesses. Any pieces of lore or knowledge were worth knowing when it came to facing such foes.

Even if he carved every piece of armor in his expedition with runes, it would take decades. He needed something more. Besides, this would be a worthwhile tale to compose into the song of the Runecarver clan.

He stumped to the ship and handed a bag of gold to the sailor on duty. "I will aid in the expedition. I am a Maester of Elbion, well versed in the arcane arts."

Sigfrith paused for a moment and patted the two-headed axe at his waist. "And I have great skill at chopping where it is required. Is that sufficient for this quest?"

Kjaran woke with a grunt and a sharp ache to his ribs. The cause was a foot impatiently booting him, forcing him back into consciousness. He rolled over in the mud and lay on his back groaning. "O gods. Where am I?" he managed to croak. His tongue felt like leather, his head was throbbing.

"Get up" was the impatient order. Kjaran screwed his eyes shut before giving into the inevitable. He sat up and looked around. He was in a mucky alleyway between two lines of houses. The watch sergeant eyeing him up had a grim expression on him, the halberds help by his subordinates lending his words authority.

"When are you leaving this city? I'll have you done for vagrancy if I see you again". "Bloody soon anyways" Kjaran replied, rubbing at his eyes and trying to will his hangover away. He put his hands into the mud and pushed himself up to his feet. "I haven't slept in the rain in ten years. People our age would be better off avoiding it" he told the sergeant. "I didn't sleep in the rain" was the impatient response.

"That's right, that's right, it was me" Kjaran said, "I was sure one of us did". He patted his pouch and was surprised to still find it bulging with coin. The unimpressed watchmen just glared. "You've till the end of the day to begone from here". "What?! I'll tell you now-" Kjaran took a step towards the sergeant and lost his balance in the muck. He kept it by an awkward hop but the jolt to his fragile condition necessitated leaning against the wall and getting violently sick. By the time he'd regained his composure, the watchmen were gone.

Failed soldiers, Kjaran thought scornfully. He began his unsteady plod towards the docks, praying his stomach would quieten down. It's been too long since I've been to sea. Burning ships, screaming sailors on fire jumping from the rigging, chained galley slaves going down with the ship, all the romanticism of the ocean.

Asherah's Ruby. He'd heard the name said the night before and knew they were taking on crew. As good a way as any to leave Alliria. The gallowglass joined the line of other passengers and would be sailors preparing to board. The usual mix of morose individuals at leaving shore and the excitement amongst those who'd not been to sea before.

"This is the boat heading east isn't it?" he asked one burly looking sailor, hoping the deliberate mistake would get a reaction. Soldiers and sailors were a volatile mix. They were loved if the ship was boarded but generally they were treated like cargo. And besides that, Alliria was just....different.

Tramping up the gangplank, he stepped on to the deck without ceremony, dumping his pack and looking around with interest.

Aalina Eder Valdyna Weiroon Sigfrith Runecarver

Aalina was a rather tall broad, stocky in frame and had a brooding look about her. She was hardly one of those dainty frail village girls that swooned after the burly men and fainted at the first flicker of blue eyes to pass over them. No, she had grown up throwing those men into the dirt and stepping over their backs with steel greaves. Her imposing figure, the well worn heavy plated armor she carried herself with, and the sizable longsword sheathed behind her left shoulder was perhaps the selling point that landed her the job of guard captain.

A moment later her attention turned to Valdyna Weiroon who had made it aboard, requesting permission to join the voyage. Aalina turned her head, looking towards Captain Greulgar. The man gave a nod, and Eirika in turn nodded to Valdyna. "Aye." She said, pointing towards the staircase that led to the lower docks. "Grab a bunk. Any that are open are fair game. Toss your things in, and I hope you've got your sea legs with you, the waters at sea can get mighty rough."

Valdyna had cleared the plank not more than a minute or so before Sigfrith Runecarver made his way up. She had planned to begin assisting the crew with securing the topside crates just as she heard the gruff sounding voice of what was unmistakably a dwarf. Aalina had grown up appreciating the dwarves for not only their engineering prowess, but also their drinking fortitude. A mage though? That was one she hadn't encountered much of. A small look of surprise painted her expression as the man offered his services, as well as coin as passage. The soldier extended a hand in welcome, though dismissed the coin. "Passage is free, friend. Captain's sorted the costs, so long as those traveling have services to offer. I'd say you qualify." She offered a warm smile, stepping aside and gesturing towards where she had already sent Valdyna. "Bunks are below deck. Pick whichever suits ye."

Before long another straggler waded through the pier and up to the deck of Asherah's Ruby. The man smelled of filth, ale, and trouble. Fortunately this particular instance the man's foul odor and general slurring of tongue gave her pause for a sharpened response. "Aye." she answered, though her eyes and a quick nod to the Captain begged his intervention. The man looked over, clearly having both seen and smelled worse, determined that another sword and hand was worth more than a fine smelling merchant and motioned for Aalina to permit him entry. Stepping back, the woman directed the man as she had the other two. "Quarters are below deck."

She felt sorry for whoever wound up sleeping nearest Kjaran Mak Aodha

"Aye." She said, pointing towards the staircase that led to the lower docks. "Grab a bunk. Any that are open are fair game. Toss your things in, and I hope you've got your sea legs with you, the waters at sea can get mighty rough."

Valdyna's foot stepped onto the ship's deck, and she made for the staircase that led below decks. At the follow on about sea legs, Valdyna threw the woman a wink.

"Won't be my first voyage, but thank you for the warning." She said, her voice held laughter as if it were palpable, but not unkind laughter of taunting. This was a woman who loved life, and it showed in her carriage and could be heard in her voice.

She then smiled again before disappearing downstairs to claim a bunk and stow her gear.

As she walked the lower deck, where the berthing was, she paced to about where she felt amidships would be, and claimed a bunk there. She stowed her gear in the chest that was bolted to the decking, only keeping her sword on her back, dagger at her hip, and the clothes she was wearing on her. She touched the chest after closing it, whispering words of binding to close it. It was a simple cantrip, but a useful one.

On her way back up, she passed Sigfrith Runecarver, and nodded with a smile as she went above decks. There she saw Kjaran Mak Aodha and Aalina Eder. She approached the latter once more, looking around the ship with a smile on her face.

"I am a mage of some talent, how may I be of use?" She glanced between Aalina and the Captain a ways away. "Is there anything that needs doing before we get under sail?"

Raigryn had left his sword with his belongings below deck. The heavy blade was no use right now and would only have dragged him down below the waves. He had been on the road for a long time and having most of his gear off his shoulders felt quite freeing. That pleasant sensation wouldn't last long. There would be hard work to do soon. The captain had suggested he didn't need to, on account of his age, but Raigryn knew ships well enough and would only feel bored and claustrophobic below deck. He leaned on the bulwark facing the sea.

Excruciatingly slowly a paw appeared on the edge of his vision before poking his cheek. "Yes," he said to Justine VII (sometimes Jocelyn on account of the fact that he had sexed the lunasloth incorrectly), "We're out to sea again. I know you don't like it."

There was a soft ruffling of fur. "Probably some rats on the ship for you to eat, just don't spook the sailors."

Kjaran gave a wide smile at the mention of quarters. "Well isn't that great now?" he said to Aalina Eder . "At my age tis a bit much to be sleeping on deck. It gives me back pain something awful". He shouldered his pack again and tramped below decks to find these vaunted quarters.

It wasn't quite the captain's cabin but it had four walls and a roof which put it miles ahead of his previous night's lodgings. He shed his hauberk and most of his kit, stowing it away with a grateful sigh. A month or more at sea, he'd see how he felt about it in a week's time.

Finished with the inspection, he sauntered back to the main deck. A well bred woman (by the looks of her finery) had approached the captain and mate who'd greeted him on board. Kjaran leaned himself against the gunwale and began to whittle at a piece of wood. He'd never managed much of a talent at it but it was a way to pass the time.

Aalina took a seat atop one of the crates while the rest of the crew worked to finish prepping the ship for its voyage. There was little more for the soldier to do, lest they need some heavy lifting of some kind, or a body thrown overboard, but it appeared for now her hands were no longer necessary. Emerald eyes took notice of Valdyna Weiroon returning from below deck, having appeared to have located and claimed a suitable bunk. Momentarily ignoring the other woman's questions, she injected her own thoughts. "Not quite the glamor of a true noble's vessel, but as close as my type will ever see. Comfortable enough to spend weeks on end aboard, and enough ale to last even the heartiest dwarf through the journey."

Aalina then smiled, returning to Dyna's question. "Unless the Cap'n has a job for you, I'd venture to say you won't be needed 'til we reach shore, or we find somethin' nasty 'long the way that needs someone of your talents to assist with." The sea held all sorts of dangers, from the mundane pirates and slavers to the most fearsome beasts man had ever set sight on, the ones sailors talked about where ships never returned.

For a moment the woman looked towards Raigryn Vayd, interrupting her conversation with Dyna. He was an older man than she, but even Aalina knew never to discount the skill of seasoned men. They more often than not were more than capable of holding their own against impossible odds. Besides, if nothing else she was pleased to see another man aboard that looked like he knew his way around a blade. Most of the sailors carried daggers or similar tools that one could scarcely call a weapon. If misfortune came, Aalina had already decided upon who she would throw her sword in with.

As the new crew gathered, the captain examined the ship and the deckhands went about their work the sun began to set on the horizon. Soon the ship would depart the bay, and venture into the vast unknown of the oceans.

Kjaran Mak Aodha | Sigfrith Runecarver

Kjaran Mak Aodha Aalina Eder Raigryn Vayd Valdyna Weiroon
======

Sigfrith nodded and placed the pouch of gold back into his robes with a slight bow of his head. "Indeed. Many thanks to you." He tugged at his beard once, listening, and nodded again before moving down belowdecks. While even docked, the movement of the deck beneath his feet made him uneasy, it was somewhat better to be within the hull. There it was dark and, for human-sized beings, perhaps a bit claustrophobic. Yet for the Dwarf, it was comforting and reminded him somewhat of being underground.

Well, except for the constant moving. That would take a great deal of getting used to, if he ever did. Setting most of his belongings down in a corner he locked them in the small sea-chest he had purchased for the expedition. Setting aside his cloak, he kept his robes, with his axe still belted at his waist and a long dagger beside it.

But first, he wanted to inspect the vessel. While wood and stone were not the same material, much of the principles behind their construction remained the same. If he was going to be living aboard this vessel, he would be sure that it lived up to Dwarven standards.

So he walked along the hull of the ship, peering in to inspect the joinings and caulking. All seemed solid enough, more or less. With that, he continued back to the top-deck of the ship, where he inspected where the masts were joined to the hull, and the fastenings that held the lines in place.

Sigfrith Runecarver

Raigryn always took an interest in the world around him. He didn't just stay close to people to renew his emotional aspects, but because he liked to listen to the world. To its people more than anything else. Many empaths of the past hadn't kept council with Kings because of their abilities, but because they watched people closely and learned quickly.

He uncurled Jason VII from his shoulder and set him (her) down on the bulwark. Even as clearly concerned as he (she) was the lunasloth started to grasp the railing with incredible care. Eyes widened as Jason regarded the ocean and started to grip the railing with all four arms and tail. Raigryn closed his eyes for a second. There was a scrabbling sound. The weight of the lunasloth was back on his shoulder.

"Fine," he said. Appareltly she were content to stay motionless on a branch a fatal height above the ground for hours on end, but not if there was water involved. Jason IV had always been happy to stay clung to a railing on the deck, back before he'd been eaten by a troll.

Right now, Raigryn's interest was caught by the dwarf meandering about the deck.

"Customs inspector?" Raigryn asked, knowing full well it wasn't the case.

"Not quite the glamor of a true noble's vessel, but as close as my type will ever see. Comfortable enough to spend weeks on end aboard, and enough ale to last even the heartiest dwarf through the journey."

Valdyna smirked at the thought, and a part of her wanted to invite the woman onto her family's ship, but she was doing this very journey with the express purpose of distancing herself from her family. That, and it never really did anything good for her to name drop her family, when people knew just how wealthy she was growing up, they made assumptions about her. Dyna would much rather people made judgments about her from getting to know her.

"Unless the Cap'n has a job for you, I'd venture to say you won't be needed 'til we reach shore, or we find somethin' nasty 'long the way that needs someone of your talents to assist with."

Valdyna nodded, then sat on a crate near Aalina's and watched the professional sailors moving around and working to get them ready to sail.

"Just as well, I've been aship before, but I would never assume I knew as much as a professional." She said nodding to the sailors around.

Aalina fell silent, Valdyna saw her gaze go to the older gentleman moving around. He looked weathered in a similar way to the sailors, but held himself with the poise of one who knew far more about weapons than the sailors did. Valdyna grinned to herself, then turned a bit to look over the gunwale, and out towards where the harbor ended, and the sea began. Involuntarily, she took a deep breath. As excited as she was by the prospect of this adventure, the unknown was still frightening. She'd sailed before, but only with her family. This was her first time solo, and she knew no one else aboard. She wasn't worried for her safety from them, just that she didn't know how well she could count on them when things went sideways.

Aalina nodded, "Aye. I've a few voyages under my belt 'swell, but not my profession by trade." She patted herself on the shoulder, gentle clanking of metal against metal ringing out. "Sword and steel is in my blood. You need yourself a right blade to protect ye, best be betting I'm yer gal. 'Tis a man's world, but keepin' this 'tween us?" She leaned a bit closer, offering a wry smirk as she whispered, "I use 'em as stairs."

The ex-guard leaned back away from Dyna, returning to the former conversation. "Learned a bit 'bout the seas and navigation, but I leave that to those who make their coin off it. Much as I prefer they let me doing the talking when it comes to blade and blood."

Before the red-haired woman could speak further, a bit of commotion drew her focus several feet behind her. Captain Greulgar had begun to gather both passengers and crew that were not busy working on the final preparations for departure. Standing nearby the helm the man stroked his thick, grey mane, and spoke with authority through his booming, baritone voice. "I trust all who have gathered aboard this vessel today have done so willfully and with sound mind. Make no mistake, this is a voyage many have sailed, none have returned. The ocean is dangerous, unpredictable, and unforgiving. The lands we seek are foreign, uncharted, and perhaps even more dangerous than the ocean we shall sail to reach it. This is your final opportunity if you wish to depart. Be it known that once on the water, I am the authority, and as my crew you will do as you are commanded. If you cannot, step off my ship now, or be thrown off later."

He stood more upright, hands clasped behind his back. The man seemed not the typical sailor type. He was clearly educated, wealthy by the look of the ship they stood aboard, and seasoned, something Aalina appreciated. "Our destination is the small island chain of Rejfewn, home of a caste of warrior mages long since departed. Legend has it these islands are protected by a fearsome guardian that watch over their ruins and tombs. I intend for us to reach those ruins, to uncover the secrets lost to Arethil, and for us to live the remainder of our days in blissful wealth in exchange for providing the knowledge of our discoveries to the scholars across the realm."

For a moment the man scanned the audience, watching in silence as two sheepishly made their way down the plank and back onto the pier, deciding that they may have gotten in over their head, letting their ambitions get the better of themselves. It seemed not to phase the captain, in fact drawing a small smirk from beneath the bushy mustache. When it appeared that no others intended to depart, the man gingerly raised his hands upwards.

"Welcome to Asherah's Ruby. Let us set sail!"

And with little more than a cheer, the noble brigantine vessel was released from its berth to slowly depart Alliria Bay.

Valdyna Weiroon | Kjaran Mak Aodha | Raigryn Vayd | Sigfrith Runecarver | Gal

Last edited:
"Really? A month? You're just going to go off and disappear in the ocean for a whole freaking month?!"

A blonde elf woman screamed at Kyver. The man sat in a chair while surrounded by four other people. He leaned back and winced as the elf verbally ripped a new one in his face.

"We've just got a big paycheck and we've done vacations for a at least a month before," Kyver said as he attempted to defend himself.

"But our vacations don't get us killed!" the elf retorted.

To which Kyver made a gesture and quipped, "Except for when you-"

"That. Doesn't. Count," interrupted the elf.

A moment of silence. It broke the moment Kyver said, "Look, you know me. I-"

Hesitation. Kyver runs his finger along the hilt of his sword. His body tensed up. His party members showed little reaction.

"We cannot ignore this chance," Kyver declared.

And here was Kyver. On the deck of the Asherah's Ruby watching Greulgar give his speech. He wore a cloak over his normal adventuring attire. The hood hanged over his head - the shadow giving shade to his eyes from the glare of the setting sun. He had a single backpack strapped to his back. He was near the rear of the group as the captain spoke. He had not interacted with any of the other travelers yet.

Last edited:
Alliria wasn’t a famed port just because of its size. The strait was like a channel to the northern and southern winds, and it made the force of the tide fiercer besides. All this served to provide the moored ships an easy way out, and the ones yet sailing an easy way in.

Nothing like the many harbors scattered along Cortosi, where you could drop anchor for a day and end up staying for a month.

It wasn’t long then, ‘till the canvas filled with wind and they made for the towering cliffs of Allirsund. The sun was dipping off to the west, and their jagged shadows stretched long as they crawled over deck, over the swaying masts, over the creaking crow’s nest, over the woman sprawled at its bottom.

“Hnh?”

Black eyes blinked bleary at an orange sky turning a bruised purple. The first stars were beginning to pinprick the cloudless expanse, and Gal aligned herself on instinct before she’d even managed to sit up.

South. She squinted harder, sweeping dark curls off her forehead. The Ahao-O was still barely visible in the warm colors above the horizon. South-southeast.

With a groan, Gal righted herself against the wall of the basket. Her mouth was still full of smoke, her tongue a leaden slab of dead flesh. She turned a scornful eye to the pipe at her feet. As ever they came in succession: the roar of anger at her own weakness; the impulse to chuck it overboard into the hungry depths; the pang of worry for shaky hands and foggy mind.

“Pala’ao kai.” She jabbed a frustrated fist at the mast. The sting of broken skin brought a welcome clarity, and she used it to find her feet again.

She’d throw it away when they got back. What better way to kick the habit than spending two weeks buried in the best Allirian whores money could buy?

Spirits knew Ngalu Kōuremas had a nice ring to it. Gold and riches for her family, for her people, for a new ship.

But first, water.

The Nazrani swung over the edge of the nest, hastened down the starboard shrouds, and landed spry on the deck between a redheaded noble and a redheaded skull-cracker.

She grinned, tipping a two-fingered salute to the pair. “Top o’ da evenin’ ta’ ye, ma’am. Lady.”

With the wind in her mane and the sea under her feet, there was nothing she couldn’t do.

Valdyna Weiroon | Kjaran Mak Aodha | Raigryn Vayd | Sigfrith Runecarver | Aalina Eder | Kyver

Last edited:
Gal Aalina Eder Kyver Valdyna Weiroon Kjaran Mak Aodha Raigryn Vayd

An older human spoke up, asking him a question. Customs inspector? Sigfrith turned towards him and frowned beneath his beard. "Nay, lad. But a Dwarf concerned with the sturdiness of the vessel that I will entrust my life to. Yet it is well-built and should weather even the fiercest storms. Are you the customs inspector?" There was a hint of mirth in his gruff voice. There would be no customs on a ship such as this.

He paused and listened as the captain spoke, but shrugged. As long as the ship would hold, he had no concern what might happen with the ship. When it came to repairs, that he could do, but beyond that, he had no skill with sailing. It would be axework and runecraft that served the ship best.

After the speech finished, and the groups began to disperse, Sigfrith marched over to the captain. "If you wish, I can engrave runes into the hull. Runes for speed. Runes for safety. Runes for smooth-sailing. It will take time for the most potent runes, but it can be done."

He stood squarely before the taller human, with legs planted and strong shoulders looking into the other man's eyes. "But as I would not repair another clan's hold, nor will I improve your ship without your wish."

A new ship moved. That much was clear to the little mer-snake. From the depth of the harbour, he swam up. Eyes focused on the dark mass of the hull that was surrounded by the glistening reflection of the light that intricately played with the displaced waves.

He needed to take a breath either way.
And his natural curiosity would not prevent him from approaching the ship from the port side. Savei took a few deep breaths before submerging himself again.

He would follow the ship from now on.

The lavish brigantine drifted through the Allirian harbor towards the open sea, the scent of salt water already palpable in the air as the gentle breeze took between both sail and deck. For many aboard, it was the smell of home, while for others, it was the first taste of what was to come.

Steadily the ship broke through the bay of Alliria, where upon the calmness of the bay would be left behind. Captain Greulgar turned to Sigfrith Runecarver, the stocky dwarf that approached, offering services of rune magic. Asherah's Ruby was of the finest make gold could buy in Arethil, possessing a small armament of enchanted magical weapons capable of launching flamestones towards enemy vessels or nearby land structures.

"The Ruby's a tough bitch, made of the finest materials. No expense spared in her construction, yet those possessing the skill of the runes is a rare commodity these days. If you've the skill you claim, do so as you wish. This voyage will surely demand the most of us all. Any breaks we can get we would be fools to dismiss."

While speaking to Dyna, the sudden clatter of boots against the deck alongside her jolted her attention to Gal. Ifi t wasn't the mannerisms that led Aalina's suspicion to her conclusion it was the appearance. The ex-guard had nothing personal against a life of piracy, at least, now that she was no longer paid to. It was a life that simply wasn't for her though. The red head preferred a life on land for the most part, where the risk of sinking to the deepest depths wasn't a constant fear.

"Aye, morn' lass." There seemed to be little need to ask the woman if she'd signed on to this voyage, there was no turning back now. But to sate her own curiosity Aalina posed the question all the same, for no reason other than to elicit a reaction. "Ready to sail to Rejfewn? Long trip 'head of us."

Valdyna Weiroon | Kyver | Savei | Raigryn Vayd | Kjaran Mak Aodha

Valdyna Weiroon | Kjaran Mak Aodha | Raigryn Vayd | Sigfrith Runecarver | Aalina Eder | Kyver

“Redy?” she parroted. Her grin grew teeth. “Ah’m ta’ be yer helmslass, darlin’.”

Gal bounced her brows, and shortly after her other assets as she strolled across the deck to exchange a few words with the current helmsman. This close to the coast the rolling wasn’t too bad, and the weather was a bliss of fair winds and clear skies. Once they started cutting across the open ocean, landsfolk would become permanent fixtures on the railing.

But for now, the lubbers were still safe.

“Well— helm an’ wayfindin’,” she clarified and turned back to the tall redhead. Spirits, but she was a mountain in that armor. Gal twirled her finger at the metal ensemble. “Yer ne plannin’ ta’ wear dat at sea, are ye?”

Kyver’s gaze turned to the sky as soon as the first stars began to appear. His eyes focused on them for almost a minute before Gal landed on the deck near Aalina Eder and Valdyna Weiroon. Kyver blinked at the sight.

Heh,” Kyver sighed as he began to make his way below deck with his bag. He began a search for a canteen – and perhaps some high class alcohol if Greulgar felt generous to his hired help.

Dyna startled slightly as the dark skinned lass landed amid her conversation with Aalina Eder. The resulting conversation gave her enough time to look up to the rigging above, then back to Gal as she sauntered away, all hips and sinuous movement.

Dyna's cheeks colored a bit with a sudden flush as she turned back to Aalina.

"It is a fair bit bigger than my fami...than boats I've been on a'fore." She mumbled, mostly to herself as a mix of thoughts and emotions struck her. She was a bit less sure of the journey of a sudden, as she watched the pier slide further away. She was also not used to the sensuousness of the Nazrani, she was used to being the most outrageous person in the room.

Dyna blinked her eyes, unfocused them, and mentally took herself to task. She pushed the emotions down, and let the motion of the ship in the harbor settle her nerves for a moment before opening her eyes again and looking to the horizon.

She was on this trip, for better or worse now. No sense in worrying about that. She had to focus on what was to come.

Aalina perked an eye, listening to Dyna's stumbling through her explanation. Enough slipped out that she supposed the girl standing before her was a bit of a runaway. For what reason she couldn't presume, nor did she seek to pry. Whatever her reasons were her own, just as any other member of the crew. So long as she kept herself in order, Aalina took no umbrage with fleeing her family's wealth for a distant voyage.

The tall broad clad in weathered and tested armor winked with emerald eye towards Gal, "Much as I feel at home b'neath the soldier's dress, this 'ere won't be my first time a'seas." Aalina rolled her shoulders and craned her neck, an audible cracking and popping followed. "Just choose'n ta keep appearances up 'til we's a distance from the harbor. Not quite as imposin' without it, y'know?"

First impressions also accounted for a lot. The iron clad warrior was a more recognizable presence than a tall red head with fair skin and an otherwise appearance of little notability. One could be picked out from the rest, the other? Just another face aboard the ship.

Valdyna Weiroon | Kjaran Mak Aodha | Raigryn Vayd | Sigfrith Runecarver | Gal | Kyver

Aalina Eder Valdyna Weiroon Kjaran Mak Aodha Raigryn Vayd Gal Kyver

Sigfrith nodded as the captain spoke and turned back to his trunk, sorting through it quickly before reemerging from belowdecks with a chisel, hammer, and a bottle of strange looking fluid that looked like liquid silver, yet was not, for the temperature wasn't hot enough to melt silver.

He considered, fingering his beard as he assessed the ship, while he murmured quiet Dwarven incantations to himself. Not magic spells, but riddles and rhymes of wisdom that addressed the natures of construction. After a while of observing, he made his way to the main mast of the ship and circled it, bending down to inspect where it joined the deck. It was joined well.

"Clear me some room," Sigfrith growled to those around him. "And this mast will never separate from the ship." As those nearby moved aside to give him some more room, he prepped the chisel. At first, all he did was scratch along the deck. For quite some time as they sailed that day, he was engrossed in carving an intricate series of interlocked circles that all blended together in an elaborate net.

Not even carving, but just scratching the outline into the wood. After several hours, he would stop for a break, drinking a sip of water from his flask before stretching his back and inspecting the work. That was good progress for something of this nature.

"I'd say those are a bastard to carve" came a voice from behind Sigfrith Runecarver . Kjaran had paused in his own whittling to come take at a gander, curious to see what the dwarf was up to. His own attempts at working a shape out of the wood were resembling some tortured monstrosity from beyond the ninth gate of hell.

"Do you have to bother making it so artistic with all the lines? Less is more" he added, with the sage wisdom of an amateur. "I mean you don't want to damage good Alliran wood like that" he said. He jabbed his finger at one of the interlocked circles, "What does that one mean then?"

“Dunno, ah’d sey dat breadknife o’ yers is doin’ a fair job o’ dat, innit?”

She laughed with genuine mirth as she wrapped sure hands around the helm. Her black eyes twinkled as one of the shipboys went about lighting the enclosed lanterns – four candlemarks’ watch ‘till one of the other crew came to relieve her.

Some of that amusement faded as she noticed the dwarf fucking around with the base of the mast. The Captain had given him permission, but… Gal frowned. This was a merchant ship; nothing like the fair voting they’d have back on the Southern Wind. Bossman’s word was law, and flapping yer jowls got you a lashing at best.

So she held her tongue, and hoped they’d not stumble onto a storm that’d sooner capsize them than break the mast.

Hooking an elbow around the wheel to keep them steady, the Nazrani fished her pipe out of her tunic and stuffed it with a new roll of silver leaves. No smokin’ below decks on a ship. That much they all agreed on.

Banishing the ill thoughts and the smoke with a wave, Gal turned her attention back to the two women on the quarterdeck.

“Ye gon’ need a hand takin’ et off den?” She cocked a brow at the mercenary. “Looks ‘eavy, is all.”