Private Tales Brothels and Broken Things

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
He gave a husky laugh against her hair at the question. “Our child will have gypsy blood, lass. They’ll be taught lots of things.” He grinned, sitting on the edge of the bed to stroke the hair from her face, his crystalline eyes bright with the joy he felt.

“Get some sleep. I’ll tidy up a bit first.” He laughed under his breath at the thought of the mess they’d made. He leaned in to kiss her, and Red was quickly curling up at her side.

• Bless
Reactions: Lexi Quinzell
Lexi didn't protest for once. Instead she nodded and allowed him to tuck her in to bed. The warm weight of Red against her stomach made her give a soft sigh as she snuggled down further under the thick blankets. Within minutes the soft sound of her deep breathing said she'd fallen asleep.

It was late - for the Ravens - into the morning when finally a heavy knock came at the door of their apartment to rouse the pair from their sleep. Lexi groaned softly and pulled the pillow over her head with an incoherent muttering.

Cassian had been busy, and had only been asleep for a couple of hours at the most when he heard the thump of fist against wood. He growled and turned over, draping an arm and leg over the woman beside him. The entire apartment had been cleaned from top to bottom and a room had been cleared out. He'd start work on it later.

He'd been in the market square before the venders arrived, and thus had first pick of fresh produce. A tray sat at Lexi's bedside with fresh fruit and sweetbreads as well as three newly-picked tulips.

A moment later and the sound rattled through their home again. He didn't so much as open his eyes or lift his head as he yelled grittily. "That fist hits that door again and I swear to all the Gods it'll be the last thing that fist pounds into!"

• Aww
Lexi slunk a little closer to the heat radiating off Cassian with her pillow still over her head. There was a pause outside as though the visitor was weighing up the need to get their commanders attention versus the fear of having Cassian's fist in their face. In the end they decided the threat was good enough to not knock again but instead bend and shout through the letterbox instead.

"Lexi unless you're dying get your arse out of that bed, there's been two other attacks on different Templar units," Kain reported. Lexi sighed from beneath the pillow.

"The latch is open," she shouted back, not knowing if it was but knowing a simple spell would lift it. "Put the coffee on."

His hold tightened possessively on Lexi with a sound more growl than groan as Kain persisted. The news was met with a deep huff, and his grip relented as he murmured a quite "..Fuck." and lifted his hand to rub the sleep from his face.

"Eat first, lass" he grumbled at her, knowing fine well she'd have allowed herself to dive head first into work with nothing but coffee and rage to fuel her. But, she wasn't just looking after herself now. "The problem will still be there whether you eat or don't."

Cass rolled himself out of bed and into his breeches, and then out of the bedroom to scowl at a frantic looking Kain. "Mornin' sunshine."

• Ctuhlu senpai
He just cares...

Lexi sighed and let go of her urge to snap back as a Commander would, and not as the future mother of his child. Reluctantly she sat up and rubbed her own sleep from her eyes and glanced over at the already prepared tray which twisted at her heart strings. Fuck, but he was sweet. She rolled from the sheets and hastily dressed in fresh robes, grabbed the tray and carried it through with her to the kitchen. Kain had been mid way through some sentence of morning banter when he caught sight of the tray and raised both eyebrows.

"Don't," she threatened before he could quip and she sat down at the table to dutifully eat some food. "Just talk."

Kain glanced with raised brows at Cassian before shrugging and sliding into one of the other chairs.

"Both the Wylders and the Litzgreeds reported attacks. One pointed to the Seaweavers and the other the Golden Star regiment," Lexi frowned and Kain continued. "I imagine there is more we don't know about, but someone is definitely trying to start another Templar war."

Cassian stretched, his fingers scratching at the back of his head as he looked between the pair who seemed to have some unshared opinions on his attentiveness. His cheeks dimpled and his teeth appeared in a wide grin as he rolled his shoulders in a shrug.

"There's a lot of romance in gypsy blood. That's why my nickname ain't Blue Balls.." he winked.

He fell into another chair and folded his arms across his chest as he listened to Kain's reports, his gaze shifting to Lexi with a huff. "Is there some way of calling the templar leaders together before this descends into chaos? We can't be the only ones who can see it for what it is, surely?.." he frowned.

• Popcorn
Lexi nodded slowly, staring off at a space on the wall as she turned what Kain had said over in her mind.

"Is she ok?" Kain asked in a hushed tone whilst the Commander seemed lost in her own thoughts. He flickered a concerned glance in her direction then back to Cassian. "You guys shot off so quick I--"

"The problem with calling a meeting," Lexi cut in as she rejoined the world, thoughts all carefully and clearly ordered. "Is that nobody trusts one another. There's some stupid little alliance still battering around but for the most part... the last Templar War is still too raw. Too many of them will think these are real attacks and they won't want to leave their bases unprotected to come for a meeting."

"She's fine." Cassian cut in at the same time as Lexi had and Kain blinked, looking between them with an awkward nod. Red was butting her head against his legs, giving him an excuse to draw his attention away.

"So have a representative from each group meet somewhere neutral, perhaps?" Cassian asked. "Just how many templar orders are there exactly?"

• Thoughtful
"Over 100," Lexi grimaced and popped another bit of pastry in her mouth. She seemed to be choosing to ignore Kain's pointed stare - she didn't eat breakfast but in the past few minutes she'd demolished most of the plate in front of her. "There could be more, it is hard to keep a track of how they break up and reform," her nose scrunched.

"But perhaps a meeting is the right thing to do... I suppose more than anything it will show us who has also thought these attacks odd."

Cassian grimaced. "Fuck me." he muttered, dragging his hand down his face once more.

"Alright. Then lets get the word out fast, eh?" he said, looking to Kain and glancing between he and Lexi as he noticed the man staring..

"Where is the meetin' place? And when? How far spread are the others?" he huffed.

• Smug
Four months later
Lexi let out a breath of frustration when for the fourth time she failed to lace the high waisted breeches she favoured so much. As if today were not already stressful enough without the problem of finding something to wear. She ran a hand through her hair then turned sideways to the mirror to inspect what exactly she was working with.

It had been easy enough to hide the first trimester once she had been given the special anti sickness teas by the doctor though the waft of ale turned her stomach no matter what she did. Steering away from the beer halls had raised a few brows but she'd passed it off as being too driven on the mission of uncovering who was really behind the attack on their home. The robes had helped too in hiding the slow appearing curve of her stomach. But now, five months in to the pregnancy, Lexi was beginning to kid herself into thinking she could keep it a secret for much longer.

Which is why she'd finally relented in telling Cassian he could tell the others.

After her parents of course.

"Why did I agree to lunch," she muttered and ran a hand over her protruding stomach.

• Aww
Reactions: Cassian
Cass let out a husky chuckle, his cheeks dimpling as he slowly strode toward her, his gaze falling to her swollen stomach. Who knew he could adore such a thing as a stomach as he did? Watching his child, their child grow, watching her become a mother? It was difficult for him to keep his hands to himself at the best of times but by fuck did he love her.

His arm snaked around her and his fingers laced with hers atop her stomach, his chin nestling into the crook of her neck. "Because it's time...An' because I'm hungry." he smirked, but he sighed softly against her neck.

"I'm righ' beside you, Lass. If at any point you're feelin' overwhelmed, just think about later, when you'll be soakin' in the bath with this temple of manly perfection." he winked.

Lexi's laugh was a husky one as her fingers twined with his.

"I can't, my mind is too occupied with the fact you've organised whatever is happening this evening," she grimaced. The lunch with her parents and telling them the news she had had some control over, but telling the Raven's Cassian had insisted on organising entirely by himself. She could only imagine what he had come up with to tell the world he was about to be a father. A dance? A song? Fireworks? She wanted to crawl under the bed just thinking of all that attention.

"You best hand me one of those bloody dresses Farah keeps putting in my wardrobe nothing else is going to fit and if we're late my mother..." Tahlia was a force and punctuality was something she thought she had installed in all her children.

"Well, I'd rather she didn't skin you before we tell them."

• Nervous
Cassian huffed with a shake of his head at her, his lips twisted into a lop-sided grin. "The monsters and challenges you've faced, and you're afraid of somethin' like this? I just told them that we all deserved to get together and have a few drinks, that's all. I think given everythin' that's happened, some nice news will do everyone good.." he sighed and pressed a soothing kiss to her neck before stepping away with a chuckle.

"Your mother loves me and you know it." he grinned with a glance back at her as he opened the wardrobe.. He'd reached for the selection of gowns when he noticed a jacket with a note pinned to the sleeve.

'C..
You're welcome.
F..
P.S. Please don't destroy it.'

His brow quirked and he slipped the jacket free of the hanger with a smirk.. "Ah, Farah.." he mused quietly and slipped the garment on over the fresh white shirt he wore. Cassian was Cassian. He'd worn uniforms almost his entire life and before he'd slipped into the gutter he'd been as meticulous as most soldiers were, but he'd never dressed 'up'. He looked down at himself and out at his outstretched arms, the smart dinner jacket a rich dark blue material lined with black, with a high collar. It fitted him perfectly, and he couldn't help but marvel at the woman's observations.. Then again, she had seen a little too much of Cassian's torso.

He lifted the gowns now and turned back to Lexi, holding them up for her to choose from. "At the risk of choosing something indecent for you to wear to lunch with your parents, you best choose..." he smirked, preening a little in his new jacket.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Her mother did love him. A startling, odd and precious thing that she didn't wish to be ruined by telling her she was about to become a grandmother. The thought of her reaction made her feel physically sick. Such feelings were adverted however when he slipped into that jacket. Her eyes ran slowly - oh so slowly - from the very top of his head all the way down his body. Mentally she envisaged just how she would unwrap that particular gift herself later and her teeth sunk into her bottom lip at the anticipation of that moment.

"Hm?" she blinked when he shook the dresses and groaned as reality came crashing back in. "You probably do fashion better than I do," she huffed and glanced from one to the other and back again. They both looked hideously girly.

"I suppose that one," she muttered and pointed towards the deep blue dress. The yellow one had flowers on it. Stepping forward to claim it reluctantly she glanced at him once more before getting dressed with a resigned sigh. She gave herself one last glance in the mirror with a grimace. To her eyes the bump was obvious but maybe her mother wouldn't see it. Who was she kidding?

"At least Farah won't blame you if the jacket comes back torn from lunch," even Farah wouldn't air her grievances with Tahlia.

• Smug
Oh he knew when she was checking him out, and the little peacock did strike a smouldering pose, a breath drawn in to inflate his chest and his ego just a little more, a roguish smile on his oh-so-dashing face. "I know, lass.." he sighed sagely with a shake of his head. "I'm perfection.. It's a burden and a curse, but I do endure it well." he winked at her.

He hung the other dresses back in the wardrobe as she made her choice, and he watched her dress with a sleazy smirk.

"Torn?.. Why? You know you can just take it off, you don't need to tear the clothes clean off me all the time..." he grinned, his cheeks dimpling. He made a rumbling sound as he stepped up to her, looking her over like he was about to make himself a hypocrite.

"I think this dress is an excellent choice.." he declared in a smoky voice and reached for her hand to twirl her into his arms. "But, alas.. I will be on my best behaviour, of course." he assured with a kiss to her head.

"Lets go."

• Sip
With the last of her self restraint, Lexi nodded and together they left their home.

Her parents had arranged to meet her at one of the smaller cafes that resided within the tiered city of Evora. She would have felt much more comfortable in the 'beer hall' - the large, central drinking and eating area the White Raven's favoured, but with the smell of beer upsetting her tender stomach and her mothers dislike of brawls she had thought it better to find somewhere quieter. The cafe was a cute little thing run by one of the Raven's wives who enjoyed to bake.

Her parents had beaten them to it and were already sat outside in the sun at a pretty pastel painted table.

"Lexi!" Christopher stood followed by Tahlia, but it was the father who reached his daughter first and swept her into a hug. "It's good to see your face, munchkin," he pressed a kiss to her temple then turned that grin to Cassian. "Bring it in!" he tugged the man into a bear crushing hug whilst Tahlia ushered her daughter to the table.

"I took the liberty of ordering some wine, but we were just looking at food - have you two eaten?" she quirked a brow at the pair as they sat down opposite.

• Nervous
Cassian mirrored the man's grin and hugged him back with a couple of firm pats on his back and a husky laugh. "It's great to see you. And Tahlia, if possible you look even more radiant than the last time I saw you." he smiled dashingly, pushing in Lexi's chair before sitting down himself.

"No, we haven't. And I don't know about you darling but I am ravenous." he said as he cast a look to Lexi. Perhaps he should have been more nervous, or perhaps he really was as nervous as he should be. Radiant? Ravenous? Was his accent always like that? He didn't think he'd ever called Lexi 'darling'.. Darlin', maybe, but that propriety made his mouth feel weird. And dry. Where the fuck was that wine..?

He cleared his throat and drew his eyes to the menu. Well fuck it seemed he'd forgotten how to read entirely. "So. How have you two been? By fuck it's hot, isn't it?" he said, loosening his collar.

• Stressed
Lexi stared at Cassian like he was possessed. Hadn't he just told her there was nothing to be nervous about and it was all going to go well? If he broke down then what the fu--

"I wouldn't say it's very hot," Tahlia said slowly, lowering her menu to glance between the two youngsters opposite her. There was a suspicious look in those eagle-like eyes that made Lexi feel as though she were five again having been caught pinching cookies from the cookie jar before dinner. She slowly shrank into her chair. Her father, oblivious as ever, broke the mounting tension however.

"Ravenous indeed, Cassian - ah!" he grinned when the waitress appeared. "I hope you have enough pages there because this is going to get a little out of hand..." Tahlia turned her withering stare to her husband as he began to prattle off enough dishes to feed the 500 hundred and Lexi let out a quiet breath before muttering to Cassian.

"Stop freaking out!"

• Stressed
He recalled a similar look from his own mother, but not nearly as frightening. Perhaps it was just the fact that he'd gotten her daughter pregnant that made this particular mother something to be feared. Fuck. Lexi was pregnant, and now they had to tell her parents.

Why hadn't this hit him before now?!

He'd never been happier in his life, that much had been obvious, but the two sitting opposite him held the power to dowse those emotions in oil and set them alight should they not react how he'd hoped. They'd approved of him before but now that Lexi's life was about to change so drastically because he'd crashed into her life, what if they didn't?

The smile he wore was faltering, and so he was glad of the distraction, allowing him to take a calming breath. Lexi's reprimand made him flinch and he turned to her. "I don't know what you're talkin' about." Shit. Was she always this beautiful? What the fuck was she doing with him anyway?! The thick cloud of thought and emotion was clear in his gaze, his head shaking, and then nodding, and then shaking..

"Alright. A little. Perhaps.." he admitted, as though he really had to. He reached to take her hand atop the table and squeezed. "The.. panic picks its moments.." he muttered quietly with an apologetic smile.

Gods he hoped he hadn't ruined her life.

Lexi wrangled the napkin in her lap instead of Cassian's neck. It was a great effort but she managed it. She opened her mouth to tell him to pull himself together when her mother cut in.

"I think that's enough food, dear," Tahlia put a hand on her husbands arm and gave him a meaningful look. Christopher paused mid rant and then rubbed the back of his neck with a hearty laugh.

"Sorry sweetheart, I'm just a little hungry. Besides it's all to share," though from the tone of his voice he would quite happily what he had ordered so far on his own. Tahlia gave his arm another pat and the waitress whisked off to put the three page order through the kitchen.

"So, what was it you so urgently wanted to talk about munchkin? You don't usually ask to meet us for lunch, usually your mother has to--" Christopher trailed off at a glance towards his wife.

"What he means is, we thought you would be busy with finding out who was behind this attack," Tahlia finished smoothly.

Wine. Thank the Gods for wine. He held up his cup insistently until the server had filled it near to the brim. He drank then, as though it were water and not wine in his hand, hoping that it would go straight to his head and take off the edge a little. A little 'liquid courage' couldn't hurt.

"She has been busy.. Too busy. And if you ask me, I'd say she needs to spend more time restin'." Cassian commented with a shrug, followed by another gulp of wine before he set the cup down. He squeezed Lexi's hand again as the silence fell, and a deep breath filled his lungs and tumbled back out in a shudder.

"We just.. Wanted to share some news with you." he said and cleared his throat, turning to look at Lexi with a quick nod. They were her parents, and so he'd shut his mouth now before he made the situation any more uncomfortable for her than he already had..

"Lex?"

• Stressed
Both parents turned the weight of their gaze onto their daughter and Lexi, for the first time in her adult life, found she suddenly had nothing to day. She opened her mouth then closed it again. Her throat seemed to suddenly be constricting and whether it was the hormones or fear or it was actually hot, she began to sweat.

"We're getting a dog," she blurted out then froze, horrified with herself and the lie. "I mean.. we're... thinking of getting a dog," she corrected awkwardly and gripped the napkin in her lap until it threatened to tear in half from how tight she'd wound it. She couldn't even bring herself to look at Cassian.

"That's... well that's nice dear, but I don't see why we needed a dinner to discuss that..." Christopher raised a brow.