Open Chronicles The Return of the Order

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Lexi Quinzell

Commander of the White Ravens
Character Biography
Link
Dear Commander

Last week we were attacked within our city walls, a city that until now has remained neutral in the wider Templar politics. This action, however, is a declaration of war.
The cowards behind this attack would like us to believe it is the Black Roses but, personal opinions aside, I do not believe the Chapter would sink to murdering children in a planned, secret attack. My investigation has revealed we are not the only one to suffer an attack at the heart of our operations. Other Chapters have lost more than us, some have suffered crippling blows.

None of the enemies have been the same.

It is my belief the Templars face something we haven't since the last Breaking: a joint enemy.

I, and my Seconds, will be at the Temple of Beginning on the last Wednesday of the Sacred Month Juni. I extend to you my invitation to join me and present any evidence you might have that supports this belief and for any who wish to help stand against the faceless foe. Those that know me will know I do not send this lightly and until our enemies are revealed and defeated the Library will remained closed to all but our own.

Cordial regards,

Alexandra Quinzell.

Commander of the White Ravens.

proxy.php

T H E T E M P L E O F B E G I N N I N G
There were not many places left in the world that could be claimed truly neutral ground for the Templars. Over the millennia's the Chapters had broken over and over again until they were dim fragments of the once great Order they had once been. An Order that had stood in the face of Evil. An Order than had been respected, cherished, venerated amongst humankind as a shield against the shadows. That lost, united Order had begun in a humble temple by men and women who had suffered the worst kind of loss. Its true name was lost to time and unknown even by the sacred text readers of the Library but most Templars knew it was the Temple of Beginning. A small splinter Chapter of non-combatant monks still cared for the temple but pilgrimages and funding had dwindled to a pathetic trickle and as such much of its former glory had been lost to the cruel sickle of time.

Today there was an energy amongst the simple brown robed monks. They bustled to and from the rooms with food, drinks, dusters and brooms. Through the calamity Alexandra Quinzell marched. She'd arrived three days prior to when the meeting was to begin in order to warn the monks and to set her own men to the task of helping them prepare. Today however the only Ravens that walked with her were her Second, Kain, and Cassian, the keeper of her heart. The rules were clear for these ancient meetings; each Commander was allowed two to join them. The rest would wait outside.

No weapons could enter these sacred halls.

No magic worked here.

The temple stripped everyone back to what they were. Men and women with a cause.

proxy.php

Lexi came to a stop in the large hallway off of which the main meeting room was still being lit. On a sunny day there was ample light but today the skies were grey and rain pattered against the glass. She craned her neck to look up at the statue before her. The reflection of the rain made it look as though the statue were crying.

"They call it the Faceless Templar," Lexi explained and despite speaking in a soft tone it carried in the vaulted hall. "It was meant to symbolise that anyone and everyone could join the Order. Young, Old. Male, female. Human or not - not a lot of Templars remember that," her lips curved warily. "Anyone was acceptable as long as they fought Evil and were willing to stand as a shield for Good."

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Rhav and Cassian
"Do you come for the meeting, brother?"​

Rhav found himself snapped out of his thoughts as one of the blue robed monks stepped up to him. His face was cherub like, expressionless as he waited for an answer. There was something about his eyes, unquestioning, free of judgment.

He had not seen that look in a long time, not since he had been expelled from the Hands.

Not everyone knew what he was. Most did not. Yet a lone Templar wandering the land was never well received, not in these times. He still wore the mark of their Order, the sigil upon his cloak that he could not bring himself to be rid of even now.

It had been centuries, but the people still remembered. Still knew what they had done. Three wars left a mar on generations, one that could be recalled even now.

"I am not a Commander." He said finally, his voice low as he looked towards the monk.

"That is not what I asked, brother."​

The words rang in Rhav's ears, resounding. Almost thundering. He looked at the other man for a brief moment, studying his unchanging cherub face. After a moment, a rush of time that seemed to last for an eon or even more. "Yes."

He answered finally. "I am here for the meeting."

No letter had reached him of course, but word traveled. Whispers echoed, and that had been enough. Rhav had come here because he was still a Templar, even...even despite whatever else he was.

He was here to prove it.

• Sip
Reactions: Lexi Quinzell
templar note 1.png templar note 2.png

Keldorn once more unrolled the long and prettily worded letter in disgust. Though only the Second of his Order, his Commander had entrusted him to go in their stead. They had managed to stay out of the Templar War, with their Temple being secluded in the Spine, they were hard to reach and even harder to hurt. Few of their members traveled beyond the Temple and fewer still knew even where to find their Temple. They had given up on trust a long time ago.

Once he finished re-reading it, he rolled it up and tucked into a saddle bag. Always more words. At least the White Ravens had the common sense to avoid the politics, and from what he had heard, their leader was at least a woman to be respected. He hoped that was true.

He would finally reach the Temple of the Beginning, where a brown robed monk would come to collect Vekna from him. Keldorn would offer the monk his reins on the right hand side, before his right leg kicked up and over Vekna's head for a swift left sided dismount. That cherub-like face, the one of a man who had never gone to battle for their beliefs would look up to him.

"Welcome. Are you here for the meeting, brother?" he would ask, every aspect of him expressionless.

"Indeed I am. Keldorn of the Order of the Sacred Flame." he would announce. "I come alone... brother." he used the last word tentatively. His order was ancient, secretive, and they held to the beliefs of the original Templar: they hunted the Infernal, Abyssal, and Undead. Any and all could join their ranks, and they were devoid of politics. Keldorn had kept his weapons with Vekna, in their homes of his saddle. "I trust you will look after Vekna, well."

The monk would bow his head. "Ah, we remember you, Brother Keldorn, it has been some time. We will take care of Vekna for you. Not all have arrived yet, enter in peace." Even still, the tranquility in his voice was unsettling.

They had clerics and monks, healers all, but he was the military arm of their Chapter. He didn't have time for things such as this, but a summons of this magnitude he couldn't remember when such was last called for. With a nod of his own head to the monk, he was off and through the doors that led into the main hall, his hardened leather boots announcing his arrival.

The first thing he would notice was the sudden loss of connection to the Sacred Flame, the power of the Temple of the Beginning able to block even a gods.. It was incredible. He had only been here twice in his lifetime, the first during his training, the second after he had been Redeemed, as a pilgrimage. His eyes would close and he inhaled slowly, allowing the peace of the Temple to wash over him.

His boots carried him to the long hall, where the Faceless Templar kept vigil over the Temple.. or perhaps passed judgement on those who entered? Already a small group had begun to form around its base. There was a moment of hesitation, but he pressed on, joining the group as the woman finished speaking of the statue.

"And now, our Chapters bicker like old married couples.. Forego the bonds of kinship, and give into the sins of hatred for other races. We were beacons.. but haven't been so for a long time." His hawk-like gaze would fall on the woman and her compatriots, his gaze fixing briefly upon their sigils.. hosts of the meeting. "Commander Quinzell.." he would say with a bow of his head.

Lexi Quinzell Rhav

Cassian's brow creased as he tilted his head back and set his gaze upon the statue Lexi spoke of. It'd been mentioned in one of the tomes that Rose had been teaching him to read from, but it was several times larger than he'd imagined. His eyes fell far to the floor as she mentioned the Templar oath, and his throat cleared quietly. He hadn't always adhered to such things. She had changed that.

His hand reached to settle on the small of her back, though it only rested there for a short moment before another voice halted whatever he'd been about to say and he turned. It was instinct ground deep into his bones that made him want to reach to his hip, his hand flexing to shift the discomfort. He'd far rather have been stood here stark naked than weaponless, but weaponless was the only way he'd been allowed in here to stand at her side.

He remained quiet, sharing a mute glance with Kain who stood at the commanders opposite side.

More footsteps begun to fill the hall as Templars began to file in and drift off into small clusters. As was typical with the whole Templar Order, regardless of Chapter, most of them kept their own company. But a curious few greeted each other warmly and exchanged pleasantries. She could see with her unbound eye that Kain was hurriedly making notes in his mind of the faces and Orders who seemed to have quiet alliances with one another. Information was, after all, what the White Ravens guarded.

Lexi returned her attention to the story. Or, would have, had it not been for the sudden approach of another Templar. She felt Cassian turn first and a faint smile graced her lips when she saw the way he clutched open air for his blade. When she also turned to glance at the man who had spoken her eye ran over him slowly. Out of curtesy she had worn her eyepatch for the swirling mists of the demi-goddess she had imprisoned within her own body at times made others... uncomfortable. Her normal, hazel eye was not much better.

Some would probably argue it was worse.

"Apologies, I don't believe we've had the pleasure of meeting and you don't meet the description I have of the Commander of the Sacred Flame...?" she raised a brow, waiting for him to fill in the gap.

• Sip
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Keldorn and Rhav
Rhav spoke with the monk for only a few more seconds, asking for some directions before he quickly departed the man's company and began to make his way towards the more central chambers.

He had never before been to one of the Temple's of their Order.

Unlike many of those here on this day Rhav hailed from the far east. His home sat beyond the Ixchel wilds, far in the reaches of what many considered the civilized world. Mallian was an outpost of the west, but it was still far beyond the thoughts of many.

The Templar that had made it out there never much had time for building grand fortresses.

So, unlike many of the others, Rhav did not engage in conversation with his fellows.

Instead he was like a mystified child. He wandered around the room, watching, looking. Everything around him was so grand. So wondrous that he couldn't help but stare. This was the Order he had joined. This was what they could have been.

It was hard not to be in awe.

If her companion grasping for open air had pulled a reaction from him, it didn't show. Nor did any thoughts about the eye patch or what concealed it. He had heard the rumors, some said demons, some said gods. Had his amulet worked within the halls of this Temple, he was sure he would have the answer of it, but it didn't. Nor would he press any such issue.

Her remark however invoked a light laugh from him. "My thanks, it gladdens me to hear that the road hasn't aged me so much." he joked lightly. One hand would remove the glove on his hand and tuck it into his belt, before offering her the bare hand. "I am Keldorn, Second of the Sacred Flame. The Master of my Order was otherwise engaged and sent me in his stead. Though, Keldorn is just fine, the position of Second rotates every few years, so i am nobody truly important to my Order."

If she accepted the greeting, he would grip her forearm firmly, before following suit with her companions, if they accepted. Once done, the glove would be pulled back on.

Lexi Quinzell Rhav Cassian

Both men at either side of Lexi watched the male, one with more scrutiny than the other. Cassian had never really been the sort to engage in pleasantries. He was a soldier, not a politician, and he trusted a scant few people. Thanks to Lexi however, he'd at least learned to at least tolerate people to some extent.

His throat cleared as a hand was offered, his grip on Keldorn's forearm a little firmer than necessary and his steely gaze fixed on the man as he nodded in greeting. "Cassian." he introduced gruffly before stepping back again. His eyes swept the room and the faces of others.

"You're alone?" he asked uncertainly, his attention snagging on the other lone male wandering the great hall in apparent amazement. He couldn't help but find it strange, given the news of the attacks and the distrust that already existed amongst the orders - the thought of Lexi coming here alone had him rolling his shoulders uncomfortably.

Lexi returned the mans gesture with a surprisingly hearty grip of her own for a woman her size. Her uncovered eye crinkled with her lopsided smile before she withdrew and with it the smile vanished too. The Commander of the White Ravens was not known for being particularly pleasant to other Templars. Never rude, but certainly never welcoming either. Clearly she was on her best behaviour. Something Kain and Cassian had drummed into her head the entire journey there.

Her eye flickered to Cassian at the gruff question and her face truly softened even if her tongue did not.

"Some people trust one another to be able to take care of themselves," she muttered but a smile played about her lips and Kain chuckled to at the inside joke.

"See, that kid looks as though he just got his robe and he's here alone,"
she nodded in the direction of Rhav.

• Sip
Reactions: Keldorn
There was something to be appreciated in the trio before them. Keldorn did his best to hide it, but the pleasantries killed him slowly. Meetings, killed him slowly. He had demons to hunt.

Once he was done shaking Cassian's hand, he would pull his glove on. "I am. I guess my Master thought one loss on the road was better than three." It was hard to tell if he was making a poorly timed joke or not.

Lexi seemed to have followed Cassians stare to the solitary Templar, who definitely looked as if he had just gotten a robe and showed up. His gaze shifted back to Lexi and her companions. "I have taken enough of your time. Hopefully something comes of this meeting." He would bow his head slightly to them before turning on his heels to head for one of the benches. Time for the meeting to begin, he supposed.

Lexi Quinzell Cassian Rhav

"I guess I should start it..." Lexi murmured as the Second wandered into the large meeting hall. Her eye lingered on the vaulted ceilings and long narrow glass she could see through the open doorway but she didn't make a move to head in. Going in there was going to start something historic. Something new. She'd never been a fan of that before.

"The sooner it's started the sooner it's over," Kain pointed out helpfully and threw Cassian a tight lipped smile. "I'll call everyone to their seats," at Lexi's nod the Second of the White Raven's strode forward into the middle of the room where a bell was stood. Three long, resounding bell tolls echoed throughout the sanctuary calling every Templar who had come for the meeting to take their seat.

Lexi took a deep breath and stepped inside with the rest of the crowd, milling her way down to join her second in the centre of the floor. Once everyone was seated she took a deep breath and begun.

"A month ago an attack was launched on my home - on my Templars. The target was a barracks where our Templar's in training resided. Most of these were children or young. Lives snuffed out before they could serve the Light. The criminal left a crucial clue - an undetonated demon trap. Our investigations led us to the Black Roses--"

"OUTRAGEOUS! WE WOULD NEVER --"

Lexi held up a hand and the voice stopped

"I have no love for your Sept, but I do not believe you would be stupid enough to leave something like this behind. It led me to dig deeper... And I uncovered other attacks on other Chapter. In total to date that I know of there have been 10, each one pointing to another Chapter. I believe... the Templars face a common threat. One that seeks to destroy us by throwing us into another Civil War."