Private Tales Ash and Iron

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Everything she felt, he felt, and everything he felt caused the deep well of rage to boil in his veins. He kept hold of her and waited for the messenger to leave the room before turning to her, his hands firm but gentle on her shoulders.

"I don't want to shut you out, Mae. And I won't, not out of everything else.. But this is different. I don't want you to ever have to hear his name mentioned again. "Please don't push this. I will involve you in everything.. just not this. I can feel the memory of him hurting you and I can't..." he growled, his jaw clenched hard. "Tomorrow, I have to go see the Erlking. I hope you'll stay here.." he grimaced slightly, recalling the discomfort such a short journey had already had. He'd had to drink himself into oblivion to deal with being so far from her before, and he knew his mind was going to be hanging by a thread.

• Cry
Reactions: Maeve
Maeve swallowed but forced herself to look up at him as he drew her close. She could see the feathered muscle in his jaw where he clenched it so hard and she gave a quiet sigh. The truth was she felt so fragile - a fact she hated with a passion - and even this walk through the city had been tiring for both her mind and her body. She wanted to spend the next few days in bed again.

"Okay," she whispered and leant forward to lean her forehead against his chest whilst her arms wrapped around his waist. Breathing in his smell, the feeling of security in his hands, it anchored her to the present and reminded her that she was no longer in that dungeon hanging by iron cuffs. "But," she added and tilted her head up. "Next time I go with you," she demanded. In a few months she would be stronger. She might even understand more about what she was then and how to control the magic coursing through her.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Lorcán
His arms wrapped themselves around her, drawing as much comfort from her as he offered. His head bowed and he breathed her in before pressing a kiss against her crown.

"I'm not trying to shut you out, or trap you here.. I'm just.. I want you to heal. And if I don't deal with this now.." he huffed. "I'm already losing my mind over it." he frowned.

"I'm not ready for you to meet my father, Maeve. I won't ever be ready for that... But I won't keep you here, if you want to join me then join me, see the Autumn Court if you want to, so long as I know you're safe." he glanced down at Balfour who was pawing at his ankles trying to get between them. He looked like he'd already grown by an inch or two.

"We should probably deal with that dragon.." he frowned, recalling the other message he'd been given. The last thing he needed was for the city to be reduced to cinders whilst it was still being developed. "Would you care to join me?" he asked, his brow quirking. "It's not often I get to see a dragon." he admitted with a boyish sparkle in his eyes.

• Ctuhlu senpai
"I understand," she spoke the words against his chest so they came out muffled but no less heartfelt, a fact she hoped he could feel through the bond. Since it had clicked into place, since she had been given an avenue into the very core of his being, she had understood far greater than she could have before back in that wooden lodge they had spent three days with. In understanding it, her own feelings towards this man she had never met also grew worse and more complicated. For her mate she would listen. Just this once.

Pulling away slightly she looked up at him and on seeing the sparkle in his eyes couldn't help the smile that spread across her face.

"I... didn't think dragons were real," she admitted with a faint blush. "I'd heard about them in stories but..." She had never thought they were real.

• Cthuloo
His lips curled as he felt her muffled words in and against his chest.. He chuckled at her admission, a flash of excitement in his gaze as he looked down at her. He remembered how he'd reacted to seeing a dragon for the first time as a child, and he was certain that she would appreciate the beasts as much as he did.

"They are very real..." he rumbled with a smirk. "Shall we?" he asked, jerking his chin toward the edge of the cliff the orchard sat upon..

• Wonder
Truthfully, Maeve wanted to sleep. The change was still rolling through her body along with it attempting to heal the hurts of her ordeal. But that impish smile and the glint in his eyes was like a sirens call. The whole reason she had set off on her own was the need to explore and have adventures. It was an intradiscal part of who she was and she would be damned if she let what had happened to her stop that.

Taking a breath she nodded then glanced to Belfour.

"I... think it might be best to leave the puppy behind though. I don't want him to be eaten," the pup sat wagging its tail then whined as though understanding what she had said.

"Sorry boy.." he smiled to the pup. There would be no shortage of people around the Orchard to keep him amused whilst they were gone.

He gave Maeve no opportunity to protest as bent to scoop her into his arms, his nose grazing at her cheek and a playful nip at her skin. His wings formed from shadow as he strode toward the edge of the cliff and beat at the air as he stepped off the edge.

He could see the beauty of it now, he realised. The island was a paradise that he'd seen more as a place to hide himself away before she had come here. Now it was home, and it shone. Birds with colourful feathers and dragonflies the size of cats flew and buzzed past them as he carried them above the canopy of the silver forest.

"Look there." he pointed toward the highest peak and the great forest dragon perched there. He grinned, glad of the particular species. "They're generally non destructive.. So there's no need to chase it off." he told her, and his wings tilted into their descent.

dragon.jpeg

• Wonder
Maeve twisted in his arms to crane for a view of the dragon Lorcan had spotted. It took her a while, her vision still somewhere between a mortals and a faes, but she finally picked out the oddity in the trees and rugged earth and realised it wasn't a sloping hill but the hunches of the massive beast. Her eyes widened in astonishment and her heart sped up with the sudden adrenaline shot of fear and excitement.

"It's huge!" she squeaked. How could he be so certain it wouldn't swallow half the population whole? That mouth alone looked like it could eat a ship without much effort.

The beast slowly raised its head at their approach, his curled horns that looked as though they were formed of mountains rising to brush the sky. A low rumble in its chest seemed to shake both air and ground and Maeve felt it reverberate through her body.

"Maybe it doesn't want visitors..."

"You're safe with me." he assured in a soft whisper close to her ear, his grip on her tightening slightly. The dragon watched their descent, turning its massive head as he alighted with Maeve on a boulder about the size of the creature's skull. He set her down, and took her hand as he looked toward the dragon, now close enough to see its thick scales entwined in living branches and vines. This sort weren't carnivorous and had gained reputation in the autumn court as peaceful visitors, provided they were given the respect they so deserved.

The Prince dropped to one knee and bowed his head, with a gentle tug of Maeve's hand, urging her to do the same. He didn't have to feign his adoration of the ancient beasts, they'd been here far longer than most and lived forever, it seemed. They had watched Arethil rise and fall time and time again, and any who failed to respect that were likely to be crushed like the insignificant beetles they were in the dragon kind's eyes.

He wouldn't welcome the creature. The entire world was theirs to come and go as they pleased, in their view. "We are honoured by your presence." Lorcan spoke without need to raise his voice despite the distance. The dragon would hear. He looked up, though remained kneeling. "This is Maeve, and I am Lorcan." he added, not bothering with titles. "What might we call you?"

The dragon's emerald eyes remained fixed on the pair, its body still as rock for a long moment before it let out a deep huff of air and moved forward, its slow movements sounding like falling trees.

"Rise, Maeve and Lorcan." the great beast spoke, though its mouth remained shut and the sound seemed to echo around their minds, the male voice wise and deep as the ocean. "It is pleasing to meet one still accustomed to the old ways... I am Silviu." he rumbled, and lowered his head in a bow.

• Wonder
Maeve realised how woefully unprepared she was for this world when they landed and just how big the dragon was hit her. Lorcan gazed at the beast with wonder so she assumed they were not a common sight - they couldn't be if he hadn't seen one in his 400 years of existence - but even still he knew how to act around one of them. She put up no resistance when he tugged her to her knee and in fact contemplated crawling even further onto her belly to show she was no threat. By the goddess but that could wouldn't even feel her when he swallowed her whole!

She wasn't sure what she was expecting it to do next but talk certainly wasn't it.

Maeve didn't dare get up even when he bid them rise and introduced himself. She was in shock and Lorcan had to pull her to her feet when she found all she could do was stare at him with wide, startled eyes.

"Now what?" she whispered.

Lorcan tore his gaze from the dragon and turned to offer a dimpled grin at Maeve, his arm coiling its way around her back. "It's alright." he assured her and turned back as the creature lowered its massive head to study them both a little closer. It breathed deeply, intense, green eyes searching them as though they could dive deep into one's soul and read them like a book.

"A mated pair?.." Silviu asked with a lilt of surprise and a purr.. "You smell... Different." his head tilted, his gaze firmly fixed on Maeve, clearly vexed by something. On the ground below, the creature settled, sitting up like a pup might, his head now level with them and its chin resting atop the edge of the peak.

Lorcan gave Maeve's hip a gentle squeeze. The dragon's eyes shifted between them both as he let out a huff that caused the reeds of grass to flutter and flatten. "This island was not always so peaceful.." it's brow rose in question.

"My brothers and I made it so, a sanctuary of sorts. My father is the Erlking, he bid me to do as I pleased with it. It will remain peaceful under my watch." Lorcan dipped his chin.

"A royal pair, who bow before me?.." the dragon laughed, the rumble in its belly shaking some loose stones free to tumble and clack their way down the cliffs. "Well, Fae Prince and Fae Princess, my respect has been earned... Now, tell me why you smell so...Different?" he asked, smiling as much as a dragon could smile as his gaze returned to Maeve.

• Stressed
Maeve eyed the teeth the dragon revealed when it smiled; one of the smaller ones was at least the size of Lorcan and filed into a deadly point. She wondered if she would even notice if they tore her apart or if it would be over so quickly she would never be the wiser. It was only her mates arm about her waist that kept her from hiding behind him entirely and a stubborn thread of will that remained to not cave in and not let other fears take away from this fantastical moment. If Lorcan had not seen one until now, would she ever see a dragon again in her lifetime?

The thought made her take a deep breath and tear her eyes away from its teeth to look into one large emerald eye. Only to freeze when she found its weight resting on her.

"E-erm..." Lorcan had made clear being Made was not something he had ever heard of before but she hadn't asked if it was something she should be keeping a secret. But he seemed to respect this ancient beast and lying... Well she was finding lying harder and harder the more she progressed through the change.

"T-telling you would be too easy," she said slowly - hadn't she read somewhere that dragons liked puzzles? "Why don't I give you three chances to guess."

The Prince's lips twitched with amusement as he tore his gaze from the crimson haired enchantress by his side, and looked back to the dragon who of course spread his maw into a grin that was both charming and deadly all at once.

"Oh, a game." Silviu chuckled and narrowed his huge, green orbs on her. "I do enjoy games..".. The dragon's words echoed around the minds of those he spoke to, and he huffed a plume of air before sniffing and studying the Princess before him.

"Hmm.. My first guess, is that you are the most ancient of royal fae, one who walked these lands before all others. You smell like time."

• Nervous
Time? Maeve glanced at her mate with slight alarm. Was that his and Fiadh's souls he could smell on her, could he tell they weren't her own?

"No," she shook her head, proud of how much firmer her voice sounded than how she felt inside. The dragon gave a huff but aside from a plume of smoke, Maeve felt no ill-intent from the beast just the same kind of irritation she would have felt herself at getting the answer wrong.

"My second guess," the dragon began slowly, then nodded to himself. "Is that you possess magic not tied to the usual elements."

Maeve paused. She didn't think that was true; her starlight came under the branch of light. So she shook her head to indicate he was wrong again.

The great dragon's brow lifted and furrowed, clearly vexed at what she was exactly.. "Hmm.. Curious." he puffed and tilted his great head to sniff at her again.

"You were once something, but now you are something... more." his eyes narrowed as his gaze shifted between the two. "You are his Warlock." he answered with a grin, certain that he was correct this time.

Maeve's heart almost stopped when he guessed it ri...wrong. She let out a breath and glanced to Lorcan with a grin, before turning back to the dragon and shaking her head.

"So close, but no," her secret was safe unless her mate intended to reveal it himself. After the last few days she felt as though she had compromised him too much and so this decision she would take herself away from. "Perhaps next time, you will guess. May I ask Silvu - why did you choose here to stop?"

Last edited:
"She is so much more than that." he answered warmly with a gentle squeeze at his mate's hand.

The dragon chuffed, not at all upset that he had failed to answer the conundrum correctly, rather quite impressed that the red headed female remained a mystery. "Perhaps, young Maeve. Perhaps..." he answered, his scales rippling as he lifted his head to look across the lands of the large island.

"I am drawn to secret things, Princess of the Fae.. This island was once riddled with verminous creatures, those which stole the light from it, but now it shines brightly through the veil. Yes.. I think I will stay." the dragon rumbled.

• Wonder
Stay? Maeve glanced to Lorcan with slight alarm. There was very little she knew about dragons other than the myths and in the myths dragons had not been kind creatures, especially not to humans. Blood and fire and death always followed in their wake. She didn't want to see that befall Endora. But Lorcan looked calm and through the bond she sensed nothing negative.

"We'd be glad to have you," she glanced to Lorcan with the question would we? reflected in her eyes.

"Is there anything you... need?"

What did dragons eat? Aside from people.

The corners of his eyes creased in amusement and he offered Maeve's hand an assuring squeeze. "Of course, we would be honoured to share our island with you. You will have peace here." he dipped his chin respectfully.

The dragon chuffed fondly at Maeve in particular. "Need?... Just the forest, my dear..." he grinned, and yawned. "And a few weeks' sleep..." he rumbled. "Thank you for your warm welcome, Prince and Princess of Fae..." the dragon sighed as he curled up, and within moments, he was snoring.

Lorcan turned to Maeve with a shit-eating grin. "Wait until Midir finds out that Endora has a dragon." his brows rose, his excitement boyish. "The forests will thrive with him living on the island, the people have nothing to worry about." he smiled at her and offered a hand. "Shall we leave our new friend to rest?"

• Nervous
The snoring rocked the very ground beneath their feet.

"Thrive? Nothing to worry about?" Maeve hissed in disbelief and stared openly at the dragon now it had apparently laid down to sleep. "Don't they eat people? He's huge! He'll eat the whole city!" why was he not as concerned about this as her? Maybe he wasn't strong enough to kill it on his own but together maybe they should... no, she couldn't control her magic. Maybe Raphael and Sid could help him. Or another more powerful fae.

"Let's go, we could be back with help before he wakes up."

• Stressed
"He's a forest dragon, not a people killer. He'll keep the forest in order and eat what it provides him." he insisted with a quiet laugh against her temple as he tugged her in close.

"We have nothing to worry about here.. Other than one day per year." he snorted to himself, leading her through the forest, the floor covered in moss so soft it was as though they walked on carpet, and fresh streams tumbled down the mountain in tiny waterfalls into the many pools..

"I have to leave soon, for a short time. I'd like to leave you in charge of things.. If that's alright with you, of course."

• Stressed
Maeve still looked unconvinced but she let him tug her away and only glanced back once to make sure the dragon wasn't going to suddenly leap at them and try to eat them.

"Leave?" she asked in a half panic and glanced back to her mate. Her mind went straight back to the cell she'd been kept in and for a second the forest vanished and she was there, hanging by irons... No. No I'm out. He's here, I'm here. Endora is safe. Her fingers twined with his and she tugged them on; walking always helped her think.

"Are you... going to do something I would frown upon?" Like go see your father alone.

Lorcan's eyes creased with amusement at her choice of wording. "Yes.. But it's something I have to do." he explained calmly..

"Debts must be paid, Mae. If nothing is done for the Summer Court's crimes, the.. anger I hold will only fester, and I'll wind up doing something much worse." his head dipped and his brow knit. "There are parts of my memory blackened by rage. I did things that I didn't mean and can't take back. The last thing I want to do is hurt someone I don't want to hurt."

• Cry
"I don't want you to go alone," Maeve frowned and stopped walking, turning to look up at him. She didn't bother to hide the concern from her features; their mating bond gave everything away regardless. "Whenever you meet with your father you become..." angry was the wrong word. Maeve didn't think she knew of a word to describe the pure hate she felt from him whenever Midir was mentioned.

"Let me come with you. I won't... come into the meeting. But if I'm close, then I can help keep you calm," her hand came to rest over his heart.

His chest tightened at her words and he reached to gently cup her cheek, and he glanced down at the hand she held over his heart.

"Alright." he agreed in a reluctant rumble.

"Mae..You know that.. that side of me will never be directed at you..? I never want you to fear me, but if" he asked. It was a side he'd done his utmost to shield from her, but when it came to his father or any who had ever harmed or would seek to harm his mate, there was only so much he could hold back. The thought that she would ever fear him however, made his stomach sink.

"I can't handle the thought of anyone hurting you.. I've never so obsessed over killing anyone in my life. Including my father." his head shook. "If I've been overbearing, I'm sorry.."

• Aww