Completed A Sea of Sorrow

Zephyrine

Recreator
Character Biography
Link
"My poor boy!"

The wailing was incessant, filled with a loss so devastating, it irritated the Initiate's eardrums this early in the morning. This was the second day of the mission, and still the mystery eluded Initiates and Dreadlords alike. There was no use in pretending anyone could sleep through the broken wails of the mother, and Zephyrine Caddel barely slept a wink overnight. Still dressed in her attire from the previous day, the young Initiate peered around to the others squished into makeshift cots in the room they all shared. She almost missed the soft bed and private room they got to experience for only a few hours in Vel Luin days ago.

This mission was not one Zephyrine thought she would be asked to assist with, but she was not exactly going to voice her surprise. She withstood the accusatory looks and puzzled expressions from other Initiates she had joined from the Academy, confused on who she was and questioned whether she was a new Initiate despite her growing up there.

"He's dead! He is dead!"

"Someone shut her up!" Came the disgruntled groan of an Initiate that could no longer pretend. Everyone slowly got up, and Zephyrine shot out of the room before she could see their stares. The tavern was empty at this hour, but given the commotion outside, she doubted anyone would be keeping indoors.

Vel Luin was unmistakable in the distance; the telltale silhouette of The Twins breaking the flat shoreline that lead to this small seaside town. For the past week, families woke up distraught as children were discovered cold in their beds. It sickened Zeph when the briefing came in upon their arrival to Vel Luin, and even the previous day held a surreal veil around the small town as the Initiates were brought up to speed and taken to various areas around town to establish sentry points.

A group of locals and Dreadlords gathered around a woman, doing their best to console her as her legs gave out and her eyes distant and empty. From where she stood, Zephyrine could see the blood staining the hands of the mother, a widow. They were all widows, yet this connection still puzzled those investigating the strangeness that overtook this town.

"That makes six children... and a Dreadlord is dead."

Zephyrine whipped around to the voice, tawny eyes widening at the shocking piece of information.
"Who?"

By now most Initiates meandered out from the tavern, rubbing their eyes in the gentle light of dawn breaking over the horizon. Few caught the end of the news that came from the Dreadlord in charge of the Initiates, faces ranging from shock and confusion. "Someone from the Vel Luin ranks. They were ordered to keep watch northwest of here..." The aged man then turned their gaze to Zephyrine, lifting a brow in question. "You the Initiate that can recreate? Initiate Caddel?"

"I am... sir." It still did not sit well with her to be around so many people, let alone airing out her magic. The Dreadlord, with a name so common she had forgotten it, handed her a pouch. "What is--" She opened the fastening, peering inside to see a small eyeball nearing that of a human, but the colouring was strange. Zephyrine closed the pouch and all but shoved it back to the Dreadlord. "I can't recreate something living. Human, creature, plants... not on the list." At least she would not have to touch the thing and get a good look at the optic nerve still hanging to it.

The Dreadlord sighed, knowing it was too good to be true and had hoped Initiate Caddel could paint a picture of what sort of creature this eye belonged to. "Worth a shot." This warranted a glare from Caddel. "The dead Dreadlord was clutching this... and there is a trail of blood leading inland. Gear up, the lot of you. Our mission today is to hunt down this thing. Vel Anir is sending more numbers to guard this town, so we are no longer needed here."

"Do we know anything else of this thing?"

Zephyrine gasped. Snatching the pouch, her hand disappeared inside and pulled out the grotesque object and slowly moved it in the light.
"It's nocturnal. See? How it catches the light and shines? That's something found in nocturnal animals." That explained the colouring.

"So you do get an education at that Academy..." The Dreadlord - she was still unable to recall his name - chuckled at Zephyrine's correct deduction. "Caddel is right. We need to cover as much ground as we can while we have daylight, gather as much information as we can before we begin the hunt."

Thraah was quiet.
Unusually so.
Kids dying reminded her of bad times. Hard times when life was cold and wet and you woke up in a cramped cot and waited to find out who passed away in the night.
So she wasn't much up to chatting.
Still she stood by Zeph, whom she nicknamed Fix somewhat, and whispered in her ear.
"You took off this morning, you okay Fix?"
She wasn't feeling very warm or even angry. Just cold and close to death.

• Aww
Reactions: Zephyrine
Mercer had been called to action, much like the other intiates in her company. It had been an odd mission, children turning up dead nearly every morning. It did not seem to phase her as it did others, death was a part of life. Everyone died some time.

Wails pierced the early morning, drawing the intiates from their beds. Dawn hadn't even struck yet. Murmers of irritation filled the stagnant air of the room they all shared as Mercer roused.

Zephyrine was the first to exit, practically bolting out of the door. Mercer had been close behind, duty pulling sleep from her eyes.

The scene before them would be heartbreaking to most. A mother crumpled to the ground, a dead child, and banshee wailing as she clutched the boy that had not long ago been safe and breathing.

Mercer watched with studious eyes and Zephyrine was questioned. So, they would finally begin the hunt in earnest. It was a relief to put the town behind them, honestly. Sympathy was hard gained from the tall girl, soldier bred as she was.

"Let's not delay then, we have work to do." She looked to Thraah, to Zephyrine. This was not about closure for the mothers, this was about duty.

"Why bother, let them rot. Useless humans, only good for eating"

Mercer shut out the whispered voice in her head, the demon always had some remark, he always desired to get a rise out of her. Not today, she was in no mood.

Zephyrine phyrine Thraah

Zeph had been chewing her lip as she quietened to think, blinking and sparing a glance Thraah's way as her question registered with her. She lifted her lips into a small smile that lasted only a few seconds before looking to Mercer.

"I still am not used to working with other Initiates... been copping the stares since I joined this mission." Thraah she at least knew from the invite mix up to what is now called the Gloomies, and a small portion of herself was glad to know at least someone.

Mercer she knew nothing about, almost cursing herself all night when she realised she had not focused on learning all the Initiates she thought were in attendance. The other Initiates seemed to group up, gathering their things from a nearby tent and packing extra supplies needed for the day's journey. Zeph once again painted that smile on her face and nodded to Thraah and Mercer to follow and sort their own bags.

Within the next hour, all Initiates were packed and ready to begin their journey. Multiple groups were assigned areas to search, spanning a boundary that would lead them in a tight line to cover ground. Mercer, Thraah, and Zephyrine were grouped up with two other Initiates, of course none she knew too much of, and headed out down the coastline. Their instructions were to head towards Vel Acan, but not to enter it. Search and make their way back to the coastal town before dusk and report any findings.

There were whispers as the groups all set out towards their designated directions, grumbles that they were all in for a late one now that it had been identified that the creature they were seeking was nocturnal.

"Is this normal for a mission? Walk around, doing the grunt work?" With the sun at her back, Zeph pulled up a blanket she had swiped from the supply tent and shielded her face from the warmth of the sun. She would burn easily, but this would do. Of course, she could have fashioned something to block the rays, but instead of recreating the shade after each new piece was about to fade, she would conserve her magic.

Thraah Mercer Alwin

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Mercer Alwin
Thraah hoisted her backpack up on her back and held it with her thumbs.
"Yeah kinda. It's like, yaknow the military. Grunts do grunt work and officers sit on their behinds growing fat off the dead."
She smiled at her own gallows humour.
Her own face was curiously unburnt from the low sun. Though her completion was noticeably darker than Fixers own.

Zephyrine Mercer Alwin

Last edited:
The tall girl moved instantly when instructed. She was bred to follow orders, and that's just what she did. Being associated with house Virak made her have a certain standard to maintain.

"Pay no mind to other intiates. You're here to do a job, not win a popularity contest."

Her words were blunt as she picked up her weapons and pack, affixing them to her back with practiced ease. It didn't take much for the girl to be ready, she was always prepared.

They set out easily enough, each group given their task. Mercer was not concerned in the slightest, they would track down the beast and kill it one way or another. It did not bother her that they had a long night on front of them, this was her bread and butter.

"We're soldiers, it's what we will always do. Even after the academy. This is what we are training for."

Thraah chipped in and Mercer tightened her lips. She could tell that maybe her fellow intiates and her might not get along well. It didn't matter as long as the could cooperate in a fight.

Zephyrine Thraah

Zephyrine looked Mercer's way, curious of the young woman that stuck with their small group. Before she could even open her mouth, the two other Initiates in their group broke from their group and sprinted ahead, no use trying to keep up as their abilities allowed them to charge on.

"They're not even going..." It was fruitless, as their figures were lost behind the crest of the steep hill before them. She did not mind they had quite the long journey ahead to take the time and find clues, just happy that she was considered for a mission again after admitting to the Proctors she was willing to work with the other Initiates.

"Alright... let's look back on the few facts we know. It's nocturnal... and it kills children. If the pattern follows what the report originally stated, the hearts are gone..." There was plenty of hiding spots from here to Vel Acan for something that only lurked in the shadows of the moon. "No one has seen it until now... but that Dreadlord was killed..."

Thraah Mercer Alwin

• Scared
Reactions: Thraah
"Well, they're probably gonna die."
Thraah commented bleakly as she waved a goodbye at the two hurrying initiates vanishing into the treeline.
"Maybe we can use them as bait?"
Her gallows humour was peaking, which meant she was scared and who wouldn't be. Fully fledged Dreads are among the most cunning and powerful individuals in the world (if you believed the propaganda) and this thing took one out fast.
But something tang a bell in her head, hearts.
"My Momni used to tell stories about heart eating men that live in the mountains. Maybe it's one of them!"

Zephyrine Mercer Alwin

• Thoughtful
Mercer curled her lip with disgust as two of their party took off. That wasn't how this worked, and it was going to get them killed. So be it, there wasn't much to do about it now. Pursuing them would be fruitless.

The tall girl listened to her comrades quietly for a moment. Zephyrine had the right idea to go over facts. "It can't be a normal run of the mill animal. More than the hearts would be gone."

Thraah chirped in again, and Mercer shook her head. "I doubt it's man that's doing this. Not unless there is a devilish ritual they are putting together." She doubted demon's would be the problem here.

Thraah Zephyrine

“Bait…” she repeated, but it held no weight in her thoughts as they kept walking. Zephyrine knew something was on the cusp of her lips, her mind putting together the clues as they all threw out ideas.

Unease settled in her gut, but Zeph kept walking.
“Not an animal, not a human… or humanoid? Are we ruling all but creatures out?”

A creature…. She was close! Caddel knew what it was, that nagging familiarity of the facts running through her head as the sun eventually was swallowed by a cloud, and its warmth vanished.
“I think I know what it is… but I just can't recall it…” Zephyrine pursed her lips into a thin line, brows creasing together as she wracked her brain for the answer.

“Thing is… if I have the feeling that I know what the creature is, then why do dozens upon dozens of Dreadlords not know? Why not pluck out a tracker, like Quinnick, and have this mission over and done with?”

Thinking out loud was new for her, a bid to try and be collaborative like the Proctors had encouraged her if she were to take part in physical classes with the other Initiates. She was stubborn to admit that working with others was helping her narrow down an answer, one she knew she was in possession of.

Thraah Mercer Alwin

Thraah furrowed her brow.
This figuring was bothersome to her. It was much easier to go look than try to suss out what something was.
Still, the talk was engaging if not relaxing.
"Creature? Like a hydra or a wyvern or something? Do wyverns eat hearts? Seems like a small snack. Unless they're not all that big. Like dog sized maybe."
If wild speculation was called for, Thraah could deliver. But then Fix said she had an idea.
"Go on then, tell us."

Mercer Alwin Zephyrine

Mercer fell quiet at Zephyrine talked, she seemed like a smart girl and Mercer could appreciate that. There were others she knew at the academy that didn't have a speck of intell behind their eyes.

"I admit that I know more about people than I do creatures. I don't think I've ever had to track down a beast before." She looked at Zephyrine for a moment, shaking her head. "The academy isn't known for making tasks easy, they are more than likely trying to test us."

Thraah had begun to chip in ideas too, and Mercer hummed under her breath while racking her own brain. "I suppose we'll find out when and if we run into the thing. I hope you can remember, for it would be helpful upon the battlefield."

Thraah Zephyrine

• Nervous
Zephyrine gritted her teeth and searched her mind for anything familiar that could relate to the information they were given. She thought of the mothers and the community outside Vel Luin grieving these losses, of the first casualty that was not done to a child. His heart was intact...

The next two hours revealed nothing but nature and a dirt path, eventually leading them to the main road going towards Vel Acan. Here, the three came to rest in a nice shady spot underneath the trees, and the Recreator laid back onto her pack, a somewhat relaxing position to stretch out her muscles.

"It only took something from children... not the Dreadlord... always under the cover of night." She sat upright now, glancing to Mercer and Thraah with a stern expression. "A lamia, then... nocturnal, preys on children... it's just the pattern is my concern." It was the only logical answer she could provide, but again, not much information could be given to a creature that had not been recorded on many accounts. She could not be sure of the feeding patterns, or even what form they took.

"I am afraid that is all I can recall..." Inside, she felt defeated, but she did not dare share her inner thoughts when Thraah was always enthusiastic around her, and Zephyrine did not mind the company of Mercer, quite liking the balance the three of them brought to the group. "What do we say about creating a plan to catch something nocturnal? Shall we hunt while we still have hours of light, or should we head back and plan a trap?"

Thraah Mercer Alwin

Thraah had no idea how they would even begin to go about such a plan.
Even if it was a Lamia, whatever that was. Sounded terrible.
"Pfft. No idea. Uh, wait if it does come at night shouldn't we sleep during the day?"
Seemed sensible to her if they were going to find it.
"We should keep going now though. I mean, we can't plan for anything we haven't seen yet. Gotta know something before we plan right?"
As she plodded along her eyes went upward to the blue sky.
The monster could possibly fly, if so, then at night it would be even harder to get at.

Mercer Alwin Zephyrine

• Sip
Mercer paused her stride as it seemed a short break was in order. She continued to stand as Zephyrine relaxed and stretched. Mercer watched the area surrounding them, she was always alert and ready, one could rarely ever find the steely girl relaxing.

Her silver eyes locked onto Zeph's with an intensity that would crumple most. "If that's what you think it is, that is what we will go off of. I am hesitant for laying a trap, because that would require bait. I'd rather not subject a civilian to that, let alone a child. We should try and find signs of anything unnatural and try to find it's resting spot. It would be better if we'd be able to find it in the light of day, but I find that opportunity may be unlikely for us."

Her mouth snapped shut as if she had never said anything at all, her gaze returning to their surroundings. "I'm fine without rest, but if you need it Thraah, we can always leave you here." It was not intended as mean, Mercer had no idea that sometimes the things she said were a lot harsher than she intended.

Thraah Zephyrine

• Thoughtful
Zephyrine looked between the older Initiates accompanying her small team, trying to figure out what to agree with. Of course, a civilian would be ludicrous, but it was an idea. A last resort. If her magic would allow it, Zephyrine could recreate the image of a child offered up for slaughter, but like she had told the Dreadlord back at the town, she could not work with things that were and are alive.

"So hunting we will do." She pushed herself to her feet and stood, stretching her limbs in preparation for their onward trek. "Any of us great at tracking or are we going to have to split up a little ways?"

Nocturnal... as suggested by the lone eye pulled from the beast and left as evidence. And it killed a Dreadlord, one that was Third Level and more capable at handling something of that vein of bloodthirsty than Initiates such as the three of them. It would look to the shade, where that may of been during the dawn and throughout the day...

By now, the sun was beginning to prepare for it's descent to the horizon.

"We need to look at the shadows, where any possible path leading to the town will fall. I am guessing we want to keep it far from the town as much as we could? Then we will need to offer something..."

Thraah Mercer Alwin

"Hey you mean I can just quit this shitty wild goober hunt?"
Thraah winked at Zeph as she huffed along. The hill was getting steep.
"Though I think if we can avoid it. Probably best not to ask for one of these folks kids. I'm just guessing but I don't think they'll be too happy about it."
She smiled at her own humour. It wasn't that she was bad at planning, just that when others were willing to do it why should she waste the brainpower?
"Yo Mercer, are we there yet?"

• Popcorn
Mercer noted the falling sun, though they still had plenty of time to hunt before it started to become perilous. She offered a sturdy hand to Zephyrine, giving the girl a nod of assurance. "I don't think splitting up would be the best course of action, I don't want any of us getting caught without help. It did manage to kill a well rounded Dreadlord, I'd rather one of us did not become an appetizer either.

She put a hand on her hip as she waited for Zephyrine to don her pack again, grey eyes still searching their surroundings. "I think you're on the right track, let's start there and we can look for signs or even droppings, though I'm not totally practiced in the art of tracking, I'm sure we'll find something to go off of."

Mercer began to move, long strides easily covering ground with a sure footedness that but trust in the mechanics of her own body. "Let me know if either of you think you spot something, we can easily change course." To Thraah she merely shook her head. "To that, I do not have an answer."

Thraah Zephyrine

• Popcorn
Bait.

They needed bait... something to drive it away from it's path to the town. Zeph could not recreate living things, not even something alive enough to get it curious. She could always build something to trap it.

"Right... I have another idea that you two may hate..." And she had Kor to thank for the training. "Out of the three of us, I am the youngest. It is a theory, but... it may not even be picky to say the least. We can set up a trap, using my scrap and magic." After running through the drills over and over, Zephyrine was well versed in how to construct a cage within seconds.

Still, she kept to the path as they headed back to the town, now looking for places that would make for advantageous ground for a trap.

"I... actually packed larger pieces in my pack. Metal and rods the blacksmiths didn't need anymore in Vel Luin." She had hoped to use it back at the Academy, adding to her collection of bits she could recreate with.

None of them were trackers. Zephyrine didn't even know the first thing about tracking, especially a creature capable of taking on a Third Level Dreadlord.

Thraah
Mercer Alwin

• Nervous
Thraah hip checked Zeph to get her to stop talking.
Traps were one thing but live bait was another.
"No dude. We are not hanging anyone from a hook today, eh tonight... Whenever we find this thing."
She kicked a stone and it bounced into the brush with a hiss.
"I hate to be the one to say this but shouldn't this be reported BEFORE we go out looking? I mean, what if it gets all of us then what? They gonna keep sending out teams to get gutted by this thing?"
Criticism of authority came extra easy to Thraah.

Zephyrine Mercer Alwin

• Spoon Cry
Mercer paused her long strides to study Zephyrine more carefully. She was earning the respect of the steely noble, and Mercer had to relent to herself that she was indeed slightly impressed by the girl. The day grew slowly into evening as they walked, and she paused to survey the spaces around them. "I don't hate the idea of trapping it, though using you as bait would probably be frowned upon. I personally have no qualm."

A frown creased her lips, she was getting frustrated with the situation and she folded her arms tightly to her chest. Thraah was absolutely against using Zephyrine as bait, though Mercer was confident in their combined skills. She watched the interaction between the girls with pursed lips. They were friends it seemed. "Reporting it will more than likely give this thing more opportunity to kill and get away with it. The sent us out here to deal with the problem, not sit on our heels."

Thraah Zephyrine

Was she mad for offering herself? Possibly.

Zephyrine was not putting out ideas without thought. No, she had considered it. What if she freezes and loses time in constructing the cage? What if Mercer or Thraah could not bring it down? What if it did not find them at all and continued for the town?

"Look, we are almost an hour from the town now. I say we set this up, figure out the best route to intercept it. I can make a shelter for the both of you to hide in if that makes you comfortable. If at any moment you think this could go wrong..." Here, she looked to Thraah. "Set it on fire." If flames did not kill the lamia, then it would surely slow it down enough for Zephyrine to trap and kill it.

Thraah
Mercer Alwin

• Haha
Mercer did not rely on others to keep her safe, and running back to town wasn't really going to help them anyways. Dreadlords were arrogant, they did not care about anyone. They would not stretch their necks out just to save some initiates. She had known enough in her time just being attached to House Virak. She was confident in her own abilities, and if they failed, He would not let her die. She could hear him chuckling in the back of her head, though he had remained fairly silent during the hunt.

"This plan works for me, I agree Thraah and I remain hidden just to surprise the beast when it approaches. I will make sure, Zephyrine, that you will be protected to the very best of my ability. The sun is already retreating, let's get this underway shall we?"

Thraah Zephyrine

Without further ado, Zephyrine rummaged through her things and pried the larger pieces free from the tools and items issued to each Dreadlord and Initiate. A quick scan of the open path leading to the main road passing the town, Zephyrine spied rocks strewn off to the side. Tawny eyes fixated on them, and from the smallest pieces to the larger constructs, a cover was made. It would be a tight fit for Thraah and Mercer both, but it gave them a shelter to disappear into and keep an eye.

Once that was done and secured, Zephyrine then moved to laying out pieces for her to trap the lamia.

The sun lingered above the treetops, slowly fading lower and lower and taking the wash of sun with the descent to the horizon. They waited, and waited. An hour passed by, with the three of them keeping quiet and alert. Each movement around them made their heads snap and wait, listening.

Perhaps, some incentive? How could the creature know Zephyrine was out in the open?

"Thraah... can you make me a small campfire? Will that drain your magic?" If it did, Zephyrine had a back up plan. Something that would sting and be uncomfortable.

Thraah Mercer Alwin