Fable - Ask A Guardian's Value

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Lyta offered another wobbly smile and dabbed once more at her red rimmed eyes.

"Thank you," for though she might not have that same faith in herself, to hear that Solomon did gave her heart. Maybe she could do what her mother had not been able to do. Maybe she could master this rarer gift. She would certainly try. For the country. For Solomon. And - perhaps most importantly - for herself. Feeling a little more sure of herself she took a breath and explained what she had seen of the Fire Guardian's last few moments.

"It was a series of different images. I saw the mountains - the ones to the East - and an odd looking tree kept appearing. It looked as though it were once two trees but they had twined together so tightly they had become one," she'd never seen anything like it. "There was a serpent too that struck out at two cranes, ripping out their hearts. I saw the stone in a gloved hand and it... I have not seen a rune look that before. When I first saw the Dreaming, I did not think it was one of ours."

Even now it sounded like madness.

Solomon offered a nod, acknowledging her gratitude as he stood from where he'd knelt before her. Lyta was far more gifted than she believed-- Such vivid Dreamings were often so taxing that they escaped one's memory in short order. Like a bright and colorful dream that left the mind the moment your eyes slid open at dawn. Just like her Mother, she had raw talent. Now, she was reaching the hurdle of turning that talent into ability.

As soon as she started recollecting her Dream in detail, Solomon raised a hand and snapped a finger towards Somner Yevhen, who quickly began to record her words on parchment. The Absalon had heard his fair share of Dream recollections, and while no two Guardians were alike, there were shared themes in the Dreaming that the adept could use to form ideas of what said dreams were meant to convey.

He listened intently, a hand resting in the white bush of his beard as his eyes slid shut in thought. Once again she brought honor to her name with how vivid her descriptions were, and already he felt certain of the importance of her visions.

"You've done well, recalling so much." Sol mused lowly, "The pieces you have given us will be important in solving this puzzle, I'm certain."

What he did next was unconventional, and something he'd likely receive flak for later.

"I'm ending your evaluation, Lyta. Given our circumstances, we cannot afford to lose you." A series of murmurs behind him made no attempt in subtlety. To end an evaluation without consulting the Somners was quite a faux pas, but the reasoning he gave left those who would object unsure. "And with these dreams, you will be the tip of the spear in finding our Stone. I'm placing you in charge of the effort as of now."

Lyta

• Scared
Reactions: Lyta
"In charge?" Lyta's strangled voice came out as barely more than a whisper. She looked at Solomon with eyes widened by terror. In charge was not something Lyta had ever dreamed or wanted for herself. The dreamstone made her physically weak to the point a stumble could result in a breakage, and she was lucky to spend most of the day awake and not in a deep rune induced slumber. On the list of guardians she was certainly near the bottom of the list of leadership material. So to be put in charge, and in charge of something so important...

The colour drained from her face.

"S-surely Villiam or... or Konstantin would be better suited, my Lord?"

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Solomon Regis
Solomon only smiled at Lyta's modesty. Despite all of the latent talent that she displayed, her confidence in herself was something that had yet to blossom. If only she could see how capable she truly was, The Absalon had faith that she could outshine any Dream Guardian before her.

And so what kind of leader would he be were he not to put her in a position to foster such confidence? No, this was exactly the assignment she would need to build that trust in herself. He shakes his head and crosses his arms. "You are the only one who has seen these dreams, Lyta. You are the only one who can interpret them, given time. To put it simply, there are none better suited than you."

To accentuate his point, Solomon turns his head to the Somners, gesturing with one hand. "Are there any objections to Lyta Drømmer's assignment as leader of our new investigation?" He offered to their audience of dutiful arbiters.

There was silence, the shaking of heads.

• Scared
Reactions: Lyta
Lyta opened her mouth to protest further, to beg if necessary, but as she looked at the line of shaking heads she felt her shoulders slump in defeat. In that moment she regretted ever mentioning the blasted Dreaming. Instantly she regretted feeling that way; what she had Dreamed could very well help uncover the murderer and bring Dorian some sense of peace in the Afterlife. She just... she just wished she hadn't been the one to have had the Dreaming. For the first time since becoming a Guardian Lyta find herself wishing she hadn't been given the honour.

The realisation settled uncomfortably on her shoulders.

"I trust in your wisdom, My Lords and Ladies," Lyta stood from her chair to curtsey. "Thank you for your time."

Neither first, nor last, Ingrid made her way to the tower. Her stone, her body, would be scrutinized more than others. She knew this, and yet she had a pride in what she did, or was it her stone whispering to her again?

Unlike other bearers, when she was home, her stone lay locked away. It kept the whispers at bay, and allowed her to return to some normalcy for a while. Color had started to return to her skin, her hair had streaks of red through the grey, and even now she had her pockets full of snacks that didn't taste of rot.

When it came to meeting with Solomon, she did not feel as much trepidation as if she were with the other Guardians. She strode into the room, her head level and her eyes on Solomon. "Good afternoon." It was quiet, but not shy as she awaited for the judging eyes to scrutinize her.

Solomon Regis

Solomon had returned to his seat, and he offered a gentle nod to Ingrid as she entered. He felt thankful that she had taken his advice and allowed the Tower to look after her stone while she stayed in the city, to give her body a chance to recover, if only for a while. Such brief respites from Disease's effects were often all that kept that Stone's Guardian going for more than one three-year period.

"Good evening, Miss Bohnes." Solomon spoke softly, and already the Somners began their scribbling. From the moment the first word was spoken, their observations, their opinions, their every thought was put to paper as they watched and waited. "It's good to see you. "Your body is recovering quickly, which bodes well for your tolerance of the Disease Stone."

Solomon had seen the other side of things: Guardians who had spent so long with the stone that their bodies could no longer come back from the throes of plague. "Tell me, how have the last three years treated you?"

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid smiled brightly as Solomon, she liked him. He never treated any guardian differently. Still, she knew this was paramount to her carrying the stone, and the stone was nowhere near wanting to release its grasp of her.

It was the one thing she never mentioned, how the stone called to her. She feared it would be taken from her, and she wasn't ready to let it go either. She tried to ignore the muttering and scribbling as much as possible, her eyes locking onto to Solomon with determination.

"I have wandered far in the last three years, I've spent a lot of time trying to learn the stone as best I can. It does come with a price, the learning. I've been able to heal some lands of an infesting plague, but in doing so, I've learned I've had to expell that same plague elsewhere. It is a heavy burden, but worth knowing."

Solomon Regis

Solomon nodded sagely at Ingrid's observation. It was a dilemma that many Guardians faced, using their powers while also managing the consequences of said abilities. For one such as Bohnes, those consequences could be massive, were she to become careless.

The Somner's dutifully scribbled on their pads, noting Ingrid's words, her tone and demeanor, and observations they made about her on any little whim.

"It's a volatile stone, Disease. The cost of wielding it is indeed a heavy one, but that you stand before me displays that we were right to appoint you as its protector." Solomon nodded, to several gestures of agreement from those around him. "As for expelling the plague..." The Absalon leans forward. "You walk a fine line. There are those who preceded you who acted rashly, worsening pandemics with careless expulsion. There are also those who have instead attempted to internalize those pathogens and hastened their own demise. There is, elusive as it may be, a happy medium."

The trick to using Disease's powers was one that very few had ever been able to master. Regis had faith in Bohnes' desire and determination, however. He would aid her in this endeavor.

"There exist biomes and environments in Arethil that can handle such disease without effect. You must study the world around you, and learn where it is safe to release your plague. For example, loosing a blight upon the already stricken Blightlands isn't likely to do much damage. Do you understand, Ingrid?"

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid was blatantly trying to ignore the scribblings and mutterings from the Somners, her gaze fixed and steady on the man that truly mattered in this meeting. She, and all the other Guardians held a deep respect for Solomon, he was a steady anchor in a sea of unknowns. If they ever needed him or his advice, he was easily accessible to them.

She listened intently to his words, there was advice in there that she would place in her heart, she wanted nothing more than to succeed and make him proud, as well as show the other Guardians that she was capable of handling her stone. "I understand the gravity of what you are saying, it is a hard thing to fully understand until you are dealing with it. I will not fail where other carriers of this stone have. I will seek out the lands you speak of, understand how to get there from any route when needed. I understand." She bowed her head slightly, the burden still there, even if the stone was not in her possession. She could still feel the taint, the power, and the desire to wield it irresponsibly.

Solomon Regis

Ingrid's desire to succeed was genuine, that much even the Somners showed faith in. However, Bohnes would not be the first of her kind to make such a claim before falling to the temptations and evils of disease. No matter Solomon's singular belief in Ingrid, he would need more than her word this time. The decision had been made even before she'd entered the chamber.

"You will not need do this alone, Bohnes. The Council has spoken, and it has been decided that you will be given a measure of help in these matters." Yes, Help was perhaps the best way of putting it, though Regis feared Ingrid would be less than pleased with that he had to tell her. In an unusual display, the Somners sat back and placed down their notes, simply listening with great intent.

"There remains one former holder of your rune that lives, Miss Bohnes. After retirement, he was placed in the vanguard. In a few weeks time, we will be sending him with you, so that he can show you these safe havens for your plauge."

Ingrid Bohnes

Ingrid was hoping this would soon be over, she was anxious to get back to her room. She was used to being alone, and she pulled at her sleeve as she impatiently waited to be dismissed. Yet, it seemed that there was still more to be discussed, and she shifted her weight slightly as she gave Solomon her full attention again.

Help? What help could the council give her? She bit the inside of her cheek, already nervous as to what he might be speaking of. The Guardians were meant to do this alone, but maybe they changed their minds after one of them went missing?

He continued on, and she bit her tongue against protest. She did not want a traveling companion, she wanted to rot alone, not subject others to the misery of her presence. It wasn't fair to force him to go with her, or her to be stuck with him. She ground her teeth quietly and stared at the kind face in front of her. She knew he meant well, so she lowered her head and nodded. "As you wish, I will meet with him."

Solomon Regis

Ingrid's trepidation wasn't lost on Solomon, nor did he blame her for feeling unsure of such an arrangement. It was highly unorthodox to pair Guardians with those who'd previously held their station, and indeed some of the Somners gazed into the back of The Absalon's head with doubt and quizzical intrigue.

Solomon was certain, though. Too often he'd seen this scenario play out in front of him; Plague's guardian isolating themselves from the rest of the world because of their condition, what it did to one's mind. That isolation brought with it a great deal of hardships, and those hardships often resulted in self-destruction.

One man had avoided such a fate. If anybody could steer Ingrid from sharing the fate of her predecessors, it was him. That did not change Bohnes' opinion on the matter now, and her professionalism could not hide her disdain for the situation. Solomon would wave a hand, bowing his head slightly as he gestured to the door.

"That condition met, we will be continuing to call upon you for another three years, Ingrid. If you've no further concerns, you are welcome to leave and go about your business."

Ingrid Bohnes

Silence filled the room for a moment, every eye locked on The Absalon. Times were changing it seemed, and they were coming at a furious pace. There was no slowing down the chariot of time, it would continue to gallop and leap forward. Either change would be followed, or those who refused would be lost under the wheels.

He spoke again, his voice echoing in the vast room. She lifted her head once more, meeting his gaze as he finished. "I have nothing else to comment on. I will meet with the old Guardian as requested and look forward to meeting with you again in three years." Ingrid bowed her head respectfully, turning on her heel as she made for the door. She cast one more look behind her, slipping through the door with quiet ease. She had a lot to ponder for the coming days.

Solomon Regis

Now came Hruugen.
Patient as always and still. He twitched his body into motion as means to wake it from its rest.
This world of great cities and stone was a far cry from his time at the 36th Temple but he accepted the call as Guardian of the Light Stone when it came.
Now he faced Solomon Regis alone in the antechamber.
His weapons were wrapped and tied in the civil knot and slung over his shoulder. His eyes, though dark, held no malice and the Runestone of Light kept tied in a woven net about his neck.
"Greetings Absalom."
Hruugen kept his hands together behind his back. It was how he stood at ease.
"I hope this day finds you well."
It was the training coming through. His duty at the Temple was to shepherd the dead threat and give peace to the grieving. Although he was also the Absalom, Solomon Regis was still an old man and inevitably, he too would need such assistance to spirit him on his way to the next life.

Solomon Regis

This was a moment Solomon and many of the Somners had been anticipating for some days now. The retirement of Guardian Atmos had been an unexpected one, and it had placed a considerable amount of worry upon the shoulders of the city. Many looked to Light to be their guide, a beacon of hope that promised to be everlasting and eternal. Should the Stone of Light be without a wielder for too long, Solomon had worried the people of Valenntenia would grow restless and discontent.

Thankfully, the Ancients blessed them. The Somners were quick to identify a suitable candidate to replace Celine Atmos, and today would be the first time he stood before the Council, stone in hand, to be observed by the people he now dutifully served.

"Good day to you, Hruugen." The Absalon offered a warm smile to his new Guardian of Light as he entered the chamber. "I offer my gratitude towards you, for making the time to come here this morning." The elderly man places a hand upon his robed chest and bows his head. Hruugen still had much to prove to him, and to the Somners. Even still, they all believed him to have the spirit neccesarry to represent such an important Runestone. Though his gaze may be dark, his spirit burned brightly.

"How are you acclimating to the Stone? Wielding a Rune can be overwhelming, especially at first."

Hruugen

"It is not trouble, the journey was pleasant."
It really was, the reeds and rush were starting to wake from their winter slumber. Life was coming back to the wider world. He nodded in response to Solomon's bow graciously.
"The Stone of Light remains largely a mystery to me. Only having revealed a little of its potency. However I feel that in time the bond will solidify and I shall be able to master it."
The Stone was a tremendous responsibility and while Hruugen was no stranger to responsibility the sheer power he knew was within the Stone was something he respected greatly.
"Perhaps it is my understanding of the Stone. I admit, Light is something of a soft reality and a nebulous concept. What is it I am supposed to do with the Stone?"

Solomon Regis

Solomon gave a sage nod at Hruugen's words. It was not expected that he would comprehend the intricacies of his stone so soon after being appointed as Guardian, but what he spoke of Light showed that already he began to feel its presence, to understand its properties in a way that would become second nature in due time.

"Your Guardianship is young. As you suspect, your bond will mature with time, and you will learn the depths of the stone you wield." Approving murmurs surround them as the Somners nod and talk amongst themselves, some scribbling notes reverently onto their parchments.

The Absalon brings his hands together, fingertips drumming idly as he nods his head toward Hruugen, gesturing towards The Guardian to answer his posed question.

"But the only one who can decide how you use the Stone's power is you, Hruugen. As Light's Guardian, it is your responsibility to bring it to those places that need it most. Our duty is to better the world, to protect it and help it to flourish with the gifts our Ancients provided us. We believe you have the passion to do this. It is why you were chosen."

Hruugen

Flattering words, true enough Hruugen had always been more outgoing than the others at the 36th Temple but that was compared to The Monks of Mourning. The competition was hardly stiff.
"Chosen, I am curious."
He mulled over the question he was about to ask.
"May a Chosen Guardian deny the call? Has such a thing ever happened?"
Again his training showed. The end was everpresent in his thoughts, sometimes in ways others might not wish to think on.

Solomon Regis

Solomon offered a sagely nod to the question. Truthfully, not many prospective Guardians even considered turning down the position, if only because of the honor and respect that came with such a title. Still, there had been those who either deemed themselves unworthy, or did not wish to dedicate themselves to the responsibility that Guardianship entailed.

"We do not force the hand of anyone who does not wish to serve. You were not chosen out of some prophecy or predetermination. You were chosen because we believe that the content of your character, the spirit and will that you hold within you, embodies the light."

One of the Somners, the council behind Solomon, spoke up. It was a slightly younger woman, her ebony hair tied up into a neat bun and some markings of religious significance printed on her cheek.

"Your brothers of the 36th have attested to your faith. Though you spend much time with the dead, you are flush with life. You do not let the bleakness of demise dim your vibrance. Such a light is a rarity, and it is for that reason, among others, we believe you to be the correct choice."

Hruugen

Casting his eyes up at the speaker Hruugen had clean forgotten the other company about them. There was an intimacy to the proceeding that he felt was dissolved.
Still it was encouraging to hear all the same.
He had not been chosen nor decided to go to the temple. It was something he had just accepted as he grew up.
Refusal.
Hruugen was not sure he wanted to or, perhaps more urgently, if he knew how.
The principle of the 36th Temple was a philosophy of acceptance.
Keeping his doubts to himself he straightened his back and readied to speak again.
"I shall endeavour to be worthy of your decision and the trust that it holds."

Solomon Regis

The hesitation behind Hruugen's eyes was not lost on Solomon; he'd seen it in a great man Guardians before The Monk of Mourning standing here now. To be unsure was natural, especially when accepting a mantle so great and honorable as Guardianship.

Yet Hruugen steeled himself and stood straight, declaring his intention to succeed to both Solomon and all of the Somners seated behind him. That was all that The Absalon of Valenntenia needed to hear. Hruugen was his Guardian of Light, without any further dispute.

"Then go forth Hruugen, Guardian of Light, and spread your bright nova to those darkest reaches of Arethil which need it most. Know that wherever you travel, you have the blessing of the Ancients, and they smile down upon you with every step you take. In three years time, you are to return to me and tell me of your doings. I expect I'll be regaled with stories of splendor."

Hruugen

Splendour?
The idea almost made him smile.
He kept his composure though, only nodding to Solomon and the Somners at large before turning to leave.
As he sought some comforting solitude outside the chamber Hruugen thought on Solomon's words.

He had been raised to be serious, contemplative. So he followed his habits and pondered his decision.
Mostly the irony of his decision and that of the Somners to choose a man who's vocation was grief to be the Guardian of Light.
In the solitude of the halls he walked a brief laugh escaped him.
It was kinda funny.