Fable - Ask A Guardian's Value

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Solomon Regis

Character Biography
Link
The Fire Guardian was gone

Solomon wasn't sure how, and that made the ugly fact even more grotesque. The wizened Absalon leaned back in his tall, leather seat placed behind a massive desk littered with books of all sizes and topic. Having one of their own be put down was bad enough, but on Homecoming? It was the most ominous of omens, especially amongst the more superstitious of their people.

If he didn't find a way to keep this somewhat under wraps and find whoever or whatever was responsible for this soon, people were going to talk, and then those people would begin to panic. Panic was the mortal enemy of society. They couldn't afford fear or trepidation, not with the load they carried on their backs.

And that would only be the citizens. The Guardians themselves lost a comrade, to perhaps a killer unknown. He'd seen these situations before, lived them in his own time. Suspicion would eat at the more high-strung of the lot, and worry would fester in the meeker. Those who served the stone needed to be of the utmost mental and physical fitness, and such a wrench in the works put far too much strain on his men and women.

Of course, that's what he was here to try and alleviate today. Somners sat at long bench tables on either side of him, all dressed in similar white garb to his own, notes of their own writing stacked before them, information and statistics on each of the Guardians who could come to see them today.

It was not only Solomon's, but these Somner's decision on who was and wasn't fit for their duties. In addition, one record keeper sat behind The Absalon, prepared to document all reported activity from their Guardians as it was orated.

"Absalon, you look troubled."

The bearded man broke from his thoughts, turning his head to look over at the Somner closest to him on the right, a thin, raven haired woman with eyes both calming and somewhat unnerving. It was difficult to discern whether she appeared friendly or dangerous, even to Solomon, though he knew the former Guardian of Void well.

"I should think it more worrying were I not, Matilla. Losing a Guardian is hard for all of us, but so close to our doorstep... It's rather unprecedented. I can only hope Klaus remembers more when his wounds have healed further. For now, we must do what we can here to mitigate the damage caused."

There were hums of agreement across the room, and Matilla nodded as well, satisfied with the response. Solomon returned his attention to the other side of his desk and motioned for the guards to open the door to the large meeting chamber.

The gateway creaked open obnoxiously, and the torchlight from within the room seeped out into the hallway beyond. Solomon's brow furrowed, his eyes almost seeming to glimmer in the dim light.

Who would be first to sit at his table this year? Silently, with only the crackles of flame to fill the room, he awaited the first Guardian.

She barely slept the past two days, but the fatigue was not felt as the Faith Stone was hung back around her neck and warmed against her chest. The last Homecoming she did not know the difference between being in possession of it or having that distance, but now? It was a strained night to be without it. She thought perhaps she may finally be able to get a decent night's sleep with her Stone left in the Tower, but she tossed and turned in her cot and comforted herself with prayer to a state of light slumber that felt as if no time passed by before sunlight filtered through the cracks in the ceiling and onto her eyes.

Kaira was the first one in the Tower it seemed, having made her short journey here on foot before the rest of the Old Town could spy her. There was no real predetermined time for the evaluations, and a simple question to the nearest Vanguard had him chuckling before admitting her through towards the dimly lit hallway that lead towards the Absalon's Chambers.

The Faith Guardian was glad to have picked up her Stone before coming this way. It offered her that clarity she sought from the Ancients, the voices that calmed her enough to help set her foot forward before the other and towards the light that now shone out to the hall. Rounding the corner and into the room she had stepped foot in once before, her eyes flick to each Somner present, her grandfather included. She threw him a puzzled look before seeing everyone else wore the same expression, one hiding their true thoughts now that a Guardian was stood before them for their evaluation.

"Should I return again later?" She asked sheepishly, looking back towards the door. Kaira felt as if she were interrupting something, and the Ancients confirmed her thought. They need information. They told her. It would take Kaira hours, if not days of centred focus on pray to allow herself that trance, to open herself fully to the Ancients and those that have departed this world. Faith gave her access to this plane, something she was unable to achieve on her own.

No doubt the Somners would ask her about these strange happenings after the last Homecoming. The Runestone of Faith was still a mystery to some, but Kaira dedicated her life to this. They all needed answers... and she just did not know the right path towards it.

Their first soul arrived far more quickly than Solomon had anticipated, and it was clear that all of those waiting in the chamber were rather taken by surprise by Faith's guardian. Solomon was quick to lean forward, offering a warm and welcoming grin toward Kaira Yevhen. Whilst some of the Somner's seemed to wear forced looks of neutrality or contentedness, The Absalon himself seemed quite pleased with the Guardian's presence, genuinely so.

"Not at all, Miss Yevhen. You're merely far more prompt than we expected. Such a trait is admirable. Please step forward."

A silence that was broken only by the crackle of fire and the sound of her own footsteps filled the room until she reached the center, lit up with torchlight as though she were center stage on some grim play as the leading actress, the Absalon and Somner's her eager audience. Solomon brought his hands together, interlocking his fingers as they rested beneath his nose, elbows resting on the large table between them.

"This is your first Homecoming, is it not? Tell me, Kaira, with honesty: How does it feel to be the Guardian of Faith? Has the stone treated you well? I understand you spend most of your time in the city..."

One of the Somner's chimed in, a thin shrill-voiced woman.

"It is PERFECTLY natural to have adverse side effects from becoming a Guardian! You MUST inform us though, or we simply CANNOT help! PLEASE keep us--"

The Somner went silent, as Solomon raised a hand towards her.

"As you have never done this, allow me to make what we do here clear. We merely wish to ensure you are comfortable in continuing your service. If you have any concerns, worries or questions, this is a safe place to ask them without judgment. None of what you say in this chamber can be spoken by any of us. It is law."

Curling her hands into fists and stuffing them behind the silk scarf tied at her waist, Kaira steeled herself when the Somner spoke out of turn. That was a voice she remembered from her brief participation of the last Homecoming, having not held the Stone for that long to warrant an evaluation. The same Somner Kaira recalled that was hesitant on Faith's choice.

Kaira kept her attention on the Absalon, a being she always looked to with utmost respect and not because her grandfather got along with him and spoke highly of him. She remembered his kind words after her parents had passed; sage advice that helped her cope with the loss.

'Nothing can bring them back, besides that of fond memories. Talk about them; cherish those memories and they will live on forever.'

The Guardian of Faith moved to stand straight, hands clasping behind her as she nodded to the instruction given to her. Three years out from the Vanguard and she still moved like she still belonged within their ranks despite being excused from service. "I believe few of us remember the last time I had an audience like this, a few months after the last Homecoming. My gran-- Somner Yehven," She corrected herself with a sheepish smile, "Reported that I was experiencing something unusual. That whilst in prayer, I fall into a deep trance where I then am able to see my late mother. It was declared safe for me to continue." And continue, she did.

Shifting her hazel eyes to the ornate tiles that spanned across the Absalon's office, she began to assess the work and improvements made in the three years since that discovery.
"The Stone acts like... an indirect line to the Ancients. Often I feel like they steer me clear, they soothe my worries and anxieties and in turn I do the same for the people." If anything, Kaira absorbed all that stress and anxiety from the people, helping them get through their days. After a long day of tending to the House of the Ancients around the Old Town, Kaira would curl up in her cot at her home and pray. Should she mention the sleepless nights? That this was in fact the third day in a row she had not gotten any decent sleep?

As if he could read her mind, a voice cut through the room. "Guardian Yevhen, your assigned Vanguard reported that you go days without eating and sleeping. Is this due to the Stone?" Asked a Somner. Kaira stiffened, recognising him as one of the Somners responsible for choosing Vanguards to act as security to the Guardians. At one point she was a Vanguard up for that service. Her relationship with her appointed Vanguard company was strained, almost a torturous assignment. They had trained in the same section, until things went sour after she was chosen to begin training to become the Guardian of Faith.

Kai regarded him with a wry smile, not losing composure. "All Stones have unfavourable side effects. Yes, there are days I will go without sleep or food, but as you see me before you, I can still function." Energy restored to her once she secured that Stone back around her neck. Her answer did not sate every Somner, and Kaira began to believe her declaration at her last impromptu evaluation still played in their minds. The Yehvens dedicated their lives to Valenntenia and it's people, and so Kaira promised the same loyalty to learning more about the Runestone of Faith, no matter the cost. There were only a handful of Guardians of Faith before her, and most ended up dying or retired at an early age. The Stone kept every Guardian within the walls of the city, and all before her became recluses, muttering to things not present. Kaira, too, was kept prisoner within these walls, but it also allowed her to learn who the people of this city were, to restore their Faith in the Ancients. She was the voice for the Children to the Ancients, and vice versa.

"I know this will not please everyone of you, but there is still so much I can explore. Three years and I can still bring myself out of the trance. I..." Kaira brought her hands around to her front, lifting her arms to fish out the Stone that hung from the piece of leather she stole from her father's fighting leathers. "I believe that the Ancients trust me. They speak to me, guide me to help this City... and they-- no, this keeps me connected to the other Stones and their Guardians. I feel them sometimes, during prayer. I pray for their safe travels and return home. So..." She flicked her gaze up at her grandfather, standing just at her peripherals. His face was gaunt, having avoided her at his home. He knew she would ask him questions after the Homecoming ceremony yesterday. "Whatever this security risk from yesterday may be, we deserve to know."

Kaira clutched the Stone, the grey thing looking like any other ordinary stone picked up on the riverbanks she used to play in as a child. It was the only thing she would trust better than her own gut. How many of them are going to protest? She wondered, looking to the Absalon without backing down. The might of the Yehven blood coursed through her without a doubt.

Kaira's honesty was a double-edged sword indeed. The open nature of the Faith Guardian revealed things that, if those before her had shared openly, could have saved them from a disappointing end. It also spoke to her character and the wisdom behind her appointment. Solomon could practically feel the smile on her grandfather's face beaming across the room. He was quite proud of the girl.

But what she spoke of did bring murmurs to the chamber. Somners muttered quietly to one another, questioning her sanity, her worth, and her longevity. Speaking to the Ancients, or claiming to, would be seen as heresy by some, and as prophecy by others. A dangerous tightrope to walk. The fasting of both feast and rest also brought her safety into question. Could they trust the girl to take care of herself well enough to remain living?

Tellingly, the only person who did not speak at all, aside from Kaira's grandfather, was Solomon himself, who leaned back in his chair with the faintest hint of a smile. The words he was hearing mirrored some of his own from the time he served as the Guardian of Passion, long ago. Yevhen was wise beyond her years, and though her assertion for more information about Fire's disappearance was bold, it brought him to lean forward, the smile becoming wider as he raised his hand for the chatter to cease.

The whispers died quickly, Somners all looking towards The Absalon expectantly.

"You are still young, Miss Yevhen. Only three years into your service and you recognize the Stone's powers over you as only veterans usually do. Baring your weaknesses to us, you still stand tall and proclaim your desire to continue your work. It's commendable, without a doubt."

Scattered agreement and nods of approval. Solomon tilted his head, his tone growing more serious.

"It will not get easier from here, Kaira. The Stone's influence will grow, and your trances will deepen. Do not underestimate the power that courses through that rock into your body. It is that ignorance that doomed many before you."

Somner Yevhen looked over at Solomon, his smile fading. Was there something unsaid in the Absalon's words that only he'd picked up on? Perhaps, or maybe he was merely worried over the truth that had just been spoken, for the well-being of his granddaughter. Sol leaned back in his seat, placing his hands on the surface of the desk in front of him as he let out a small sigh.

"That being said, I'm motioning to grant you another three years. I see no reason to stand in your way as of right now, but my decision comes with a caveat."

More murmurs. The Somners could, of course, object to Solomon's motion. It would spark a session of debate in which a majority of Somners could overturn The Absalon's decision if they dissented from it. For a moment, it seemed as though the shrill-voiced woman contemplated such a move, but waited for Regis to name his condition.

"You are not to speak of your conversations with the dead to any outside of the Tower, or who is not a Guardian. Such a thing will be divisive amongst the common folk. If something you are told by the Ancients troubles you, or you deem it important, I wish for you to report to me directly."

A pause, as though waiting for an objection. None came, though the Somner in question seemed trepidatious. "As for the 'security risk', as you eloquently described it... I agree that you deserve to know. However, this is not the place for said discussion. The details are still foggy even to me, but know that Water is safe, and the city is not in danger."

Her heart sank along with her shoulders and the expression of realisation of the Absalon's words. No... no certainly not the time for her to press for more information. She was the first evaluation this Homecoming, and no doubt the other Guardians would have similar concerns to raise in their own time before this panel.

That said, the Faith Guardian dropped the Stone from her fingers, feeling it collide at her sternum beneath her dark dress. She had been cleared to continue on as the Guardian of Faith, and that very request the Absalon asked of her earned him a small smile and nod. "A warning I will do well to heed." Feeling a rush of warmth spread across her chest, Kaira knew it were the Ancients reassuring her that all will be revealed soon.

And hopefully she could be of assistance to them when the time comes.

Kaira Yehven bade them one last farewell before turning for the door. It was only after her footsteps were long heard from the hall that the Somner that inquired about her sleeping habits stepped out to address Somner Yehven. "Some of us think it is best she return to duty with the Vanguard. Keep her to a unit that will not venture out from these Valenntenian walls so that we still keep this Guardian safe. Do you disagree, Arran?"

Arran Yehven exhaled and rubbed at the rough stubble on his cheek. "Every Guardian should keep up with some training..." was his only answer.

• Cthuloo
  • Yay
Reactions: Lyta and Noi
A stern gaze from Solomon cut in-between the dissenting Somner's question to Arran. Regis was well aware of the doubters amongst him when it came to the topic of Kaira Yevhen, but the persistence of this one particular Somner was beginning to irk him. "The deliberation has ended. If you held such a view, you should have voiced it before the decision was made. Be seated now."

No matter how cocksure you were, or how strong your opinion sat, a glare from The Absalon was notoriously hard to play off. With a small nod, the woman returned to her place. Solomon cast a brief glance to Arran Yehven and shook his head. "Be wise." he spoke quietly. "Your relation to the girl is not a secret. Those who disagree with you will attempt to get a rise out of you in far worse ways than that."

It was not the first time a Somner had been related to a Guardian, and it would not be the last. Such familial ties were difficult to disconnect from the situation at large, but Arran tried his best. Perhaps a reminder to the other Somners was due as well. For now, Solomon called to the Vanguard posted by the door.

"Next Guardian!"

• Aww
  • Yay
Reactions: Lyta and Noi
Noi’s hair was still curled from all of Lyta’s expertise the night before. No longer pristine ringlets but loose and wavy, a start contrast to her normally straight hair. But very much like the day before, Noi’s attire was questionable. Pants and tunic too big so that the small woman was swimming in fabric and boots so large and clunky that every step was a heavy thump against the floor.

The redhead used her hands to keep her pants high above her hips as she walked into the room. She was beaming, her eyes bright with cheerful eccentricity that matched the upward pull of her lips. Despite this being Noi’s first time, she moved to the center of the room as if she had done this many times already. It was hardly because Noi had asked questions or her being more informed than others and rather because of the Stone of Silence.

The glass-like rune stone was around her neck. It suited her there. Noi liked feeling it against her fragile throat and the weight was comforting. But there was one issue that Noi had that none of the guardians before her had: unable to speak and unable to share thoughts. At least as long as she wasn’t touching them.

She had to let go of her pants and she took time in tucking in her shirt so that they wouldn’t fall down.

Hello! Noi signed to the Somners and Absalon. She made sure to smile wider to let everyone know she was extra excited. I brought my sign and pen if that is better for everyone. I cannot speak to everyone like the Guardians before me.

There was silence as Noi entered the room, not that any mumbling or muttering would particularly bother the Guardian of Silence. She was, after all, devoid of speech or hearing. It was a harsh reality of that Stone she wore so proudly, but one that the crimson-haired girl had never openly complained about, even in sign. To the contrary, she was infectiously optimistic.

So much so that Solomon could not hide the small smile behind his thick white bears as she stood in the center of the room. He'd taken a liking to Noi, new and inexperienced as she was. Regis did not see an impaired girl who dressed in clothes too large for her, with a body too frail for battle. No, The Absalon saw a Guardian; A warrior-protector just like all the rest. She was worthy.

As the deaf Guardian began to sign, the Somners all looked at Solomon expectantly. The Absalon himself was the only one who had taken the time to learn the physical language, for the very purpose of communicating with Silence Guardians. Solomon raised his hands and signed in reply.

Unnecessary, Guardian Noi. I understand you, and will relay your words to the Somners.

Solomon paused a moment to signify a change in subject, before continuing.

You have not even served a full year as sole Guardian of Silence. As such you are not under consideration for removal of your status unless it is something that you desire. Even so, I wished to check in with you, to see your progress. How are you feeling? Are you becoming more accustomed to your Stone?

• Sip
Reactions: Lyta
Noi beamed at Solomon’s deft hands making movements that were clear and concise. Some of the other Guardians had been learning for Noi’s benefit as well, but they stumbled or failed to complete the movements correctly. It was the thought that mattered. Although, Noi just wanted to hold their hand in the first place. She liked talking that way much better.

I have not felt any adverse emotions so far, Noi signed quickly, then paused, looking up and towards the left as she thought. She hadn’t felt anything bad, at least, not like the Guardians before her. But she had felt something.

I am feeling very happy today, I think. She signed. It was always strange talking about her emotions, especially when so many seem to be nonexistent. But that was one of the reasons why she had been chosen, was it not? Even when the Guardian before shared all their pain and grief and secrets, she hadn’t slumped into the depression that many did before her. There was another thing she was lacking though.

I have not collected many secrets. The telepathy is still weak. But my divination is improving. Should I read a fortune? She felt inclined to do something, to offer something, to show that she had done something. Unfit for battle and many other things, the least Noi could do was show improvement.

Solomon Regis

Despite the already-stated fact that she was not required to undergo any scrutiny on this day, Noi was eager to perform in some capacity. The often serious and contemplative faces of Solomon and the Somner's were instead filled with amusement and light at her enthusiasm. Of course, her lack of undesirable emotions was good, but none of them would have thought it likely that any such aberrations born of the Stone would manifest so soon.

Solomon spoke her words to his colleagues, a kind kindling of warmth bouncing about his eyes the entire time. They all nodded along, and a few brows raised at the offer of a fortune reading. Telepathy was a known trait of Guardians of Silence, yet hers had not noticeably developed yet.

There were some skeptics of such talents, but Solomon discouraged the doubt of their best and brightest.

Do you feel apprehension? Anxiety? Over the delays in receiving your powers? Solomon signed quizzically, tilting his head. It is important not to lose patience, even with yourself. You carry a great burden, Noi. Give yourself time to steady your feet beneath its weight.

• Thoughtful
What did she feel? Noi’s brows furrowed into confusion. This was strange, shouldn’t he care more about what she could provide? Shouldn’t she make up for her lack of progress? But then his words of comfort were so strange. Wasn’t she chosen because she lacked emotions in general? Even happiness was hard for her to pinpoint most of the time. But she understood that as long as she wasn’t hungry or in pain then she should feel happy.

The pause was great and long as Noi thought over all the possible answers that she could give. She could tell him she didn't feel apprehension or anxiety.

No. Because in the depths of my throat, Noi signed with a smile that couldn’t match her answer, I feel myself separate from the world.

Solomon Regis

• Aww
Solomon expected that the girl would need some time to process the question. It was not a trivial one, and while Noi was known for her disconnect with emotion, some people foolishly mistook that for simplicity. Regis was not so presumptuous; he knew Noi was not nearly as black and white as she seemed.

Even so, with the long swath of silence in the chamber, with nary a waved hand, the Somners began to murmur restlessly around him. The Absalon rolled his eyes at the impatience of his compatriots but did not scold them this time. For when Noi finally gave her answer, Solomon's face creased in thought.

I feel myself separate from the world.

He did not bother relaying the message to his Somners. They would not understand as he did, when too few of them had actually been Guardians in their time.

You will only grow stronger, Noi. Solomon replied. Rather than insult you by keeping my expectations at a minimum, I will instead raise the bar. Today, you have proven yourself to me through your thoughts. Three years from now, I expect you to walk into this chamber and show me the full extent of your development.

A smile crosses his lips as he tilts his head.

Deal?

• Aww
Noi nodded her head, eager. Three years would be enough, she would be older, wiser, and have more secrets! And then maybe she could tell Solomon about the vibrations she felt, the big scary one? No Guardian had ever shared it before, and Noi knew she shouldn’t share it yet either. Only when the time was right could she tell the Absalon about it. That was the rule and Noi would follow the rules!

Deal! I will meet expectations. Noi signed, grinning. Guardian Lahiri was right. You are kind and wise and beautiful. She paused. She hated your wife, though. Wasn’t good enough for you. Lahiri could’ve given you many sons! And daughters. Noi added. Daughters are important, too. Can I leave now? I want to try cheese cooked on bread.

Solomon Regis

Solomon's smile remained, as he began to relay his proposition and Noi's reply to the Somners. A tangible goal, something to work towards was something that The Absalon felt would greatly benefit the Silence Guardian's development. She was a determined young woman, and he could feel the desire not to let him down in her body language. The somners too seemed content with the deal presented, and Noi's resolve.

But eyebrows began to raise when Solomon slowly stopped relaying, as Noi began to speak of things that perhaps the Absalon didn't need to know about, let alone his somners. Many of them had likely never seen their leader's face go red before. For once, Regis praised the Ancients that Noi was mute.

Yes, well that's very flattering, but that period of my life has ended. Thank you Noi, you may depart.

He signed quickly, not wishing to entertain revisiting memories of his late wife, their brief marriage, or the pain that he'd buried years ago. He had a duty, and there was no time for such things as mourning and regret any longer.

Noi gave a final bow and made her departure. After a quick moment to compose himself, he called out towards the open doorway.

"Next!"

• Nervous
  • Wonder
Reactions: Noi and Lyta
As she leant against the wall outside with her face hidden by the hood of her cloak, the Guardian of Dreams contemplated the path that lay before her. When she had returned to the Capital it had been with the intention to seek Solomon out and ask for his wisdom to untangle the odd Dream that had been played to her for three consecutive nights. But when the news the Fire Guardian had been slaughtered and their stone taken, the Dream had unfurled behind her waking eyes and every clue had slipped into place.

The Dreams had tried to warn her.

Last night she had not had that same Dream since the danger had passed and Lyta had, for the first time since coming into possession of the stone, struggled to sleep with that guilt pressing down upon her. Now she knew what did she do? Did she tell Solomon this latest gift, or did she keep it to herself and try some other way to make sure the people who would investigate the death found what they needed to? The latter made her feel like a coward.

"In you go, M'Lady."

Lyta glanced up in time to see Noi skipping out and off down the hall on her merry way, making her lips tug up into a tight smile. At least her meeting had gone well. Pushing herself off the wall she hesitantly made her own way to the large ornate doors and gazed up at them, deciding. Weighing. The doors pushed open.

"Thank you, Brom," Lyta flashed him a thankful smile as he opened the door for her with a smart bow and, after a deep breath to steady her nerves, she swept into the room.

If Noi had looked unusually jubilant when she'd entered Solomon's chamber, Lyta looked unquestionably troubled. She wore a smile as she briskly walked to the center of the room, and the Somners seemed as pleased as always to be graced with the presence of the Guardian of Dreams.

There was a cloud behind that calming smile she wore, however. Solomon knew it well; Lyta had been disturbed by her dreams before-- It was quite commonplace amongst those who served the Dreams-- and the Absalon had an inkling there was something she needed to get off of her chest that would wipe the smiles from some of his colleagues' faces.

"Lady Drømmer. It's a pleasure to see you. Please, ease yourself. You're not being judged, the purpose of this meeting is, as always, to ensure you are well and can continue without harm to yourself."

Unlike the previous two Guardians who had visited him today, this was not Lyta's first evaluation. She knew exactly how this worked, even if Regis did his best to calm her nerves and lessen the sting of being examined. "Tell me, Lyta. How have you been these last three years? Are any new particular problems arising regarding the Dream Stone?"

Lyta had been raised a Lady and it was a Lady full of poise, dignity and charm that smiled and inclined her head to each Summoner, murmuring her greetings to each by name. She took her seat calmly and used the motion of spreading out her skirts and smoothing them to still the tremor in her hands.

"I have been well, thank you my Lord," she inclined her head and again gave that pleasant, stately smile. "The usual slow deterioration of the muscles as I slip into longer periods of Sleep, but I have been progressing with my mothers instructions in exercise and keeping them as agile as I can. I plan to go for a few hikes whilst the stone is here, safe. It should help restore any muscle loss I've suffered these past three years," there was general nodding in approval. Her mother had been the previous Guardian of Dreams, as had her Grandmother, and her Great-Grandmother.

The smile wavered.

"Not... Not problems, my Lord. But something... new. Something I had not read about before - I do not know if the other guardians knew of this gift," so why her? Because there was a threat? Someone hunting them? "M-my Lord... I think..." she took a deep breath. "I think I knew the Fire Guardian was going to die. Three days before."

• Nervous
Reactions: Kaira Yehven
The scratching of ink on parchment circled Lyta and the Absalon as the Somners took note of every word she spoke, not nearly as subtle as the wizened man sitting at their center in their analysis of the Guardians, unfortunately. Regardless, he could tell by looking at her that the Dream Guardian had maintained herself very well. He doubted she had anything to worry about today.

"It's been three years, and you don't have much in the way of visual deterioration. I'd say you're doing quite well." Solomon nodded sagely, a polite smile resting on his lips. A Somner a few spots him, a middle-aged man with rather fogged spectacles covering his eyes, interjected. "Your family is renowned for their endurance, but I worry about hikes alone, Miss Drømmer. What you have in wisdom and perseverance, you do lack in combat experience."

Regis tilted his head, acknowledging the Somner's point.

"Somner Gewalt has a point, Lyta. With what has happened, we cannot be too careful. I will not forbid your hikes, but I do ask you to take a Vanguard escort with you, understood?"

Lyta continued now, a new worry creasing over the smile she'd worn since entering. With her words, the scribbling of words began to quiet as all listened closely to her.

"I think I knew the Fire Guardian was going to die. Three days before."

Murmurs filled the room, along with a couple of gasps and scoffs from the more critical of the council. Solomon did neither, merely narrowing his case and bridging his fists under his chin. She was the second who was having unexpected new side-effects from her Stone. First Yehven conversing with the dead, and now Lyta having premonitions.

It was a pattern, becoming too bare for Solomon to overlook.

Raising a hand, the chatter ceased at his command.

"Lyta..." He began gently. "Please expound upon what you saw that makes you say this."

Lyta

Lyta's smile wavered then collapsed entirely.

"I didn't know what it meant," there was pleading tone to her words directed at them all, but her eyes were focused on Solomon himself. They too seemed to beg him to forgive her for not figuring it out sooner, for not realising what the Dreams had meant. Guilt and shame wrote their parts of this symphony too bringing unshed tears to those large, beautiful eyes. "I didn't know the stone could even do this - I-I dismissed it. If I hadn't," it was as if the dam had been cracking inside of her since the death had been proclaimed and now it shattered.

Lyta sobbed and buried her face in her hands.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so so sorry. I could have warned him if I had known."

• Stressed
Reactions: Kaira Yehven
There was silence amongst the council. Any smiles that were worn were shed as the Guardian of Dreams broke down before them in tears. It was a sorrowful sight, but one unfortunately far too common amongst the ranks of Valenntenia; The burdens they carried were heavy and numerous.

Quietly, Solomon stood from his seat, drawing the eyes of the Somners as he walked slowly around the large desk between him and his Guardian. None but he could understand her woes. The Somners held experience, but The Absalon was the reservoir of wisdom that held them together.

Dropping to one knee before Lyta, the old man in elegant robes reached out and embraced The Dream Protector.

"I understand, Lyta. I am sorry as well."

• Cry
Lyta did not protest as he gathered her in his arms. She did not care if her mother would have scolded her for being so unprofessional or if she was bringing shame to her family. The weight she had been carrying since she had realised what that Dream had been warning her about had been so heavy she had wondered if others would see her bowed under it. So she let herself cry into the Absalon's robes until there were no more tears only dry hiccupping sobs and her parched throat made her pull back and dab at her flushed face.

"I'm sorry that was very..." she hiccupped again offered him a shaky smile. "I only realised when I heard he had.." her bottom lip trembled but she bit down on it then mastered herself before continuing. "It was like every flash of those Dreams suddenly... made sense. The feeling of fear, the forest road, the urgency..." she swallowed a lump in her throat. "He was so scared, Solomon. So scared and all he wanted... all he wanted was to die on home soil."

Solomon gently hushed his Dream Guardian, pulling back until only his hands rested on her shoulders. He understood that showing such a bevy of emotion in this setting was embarrassing, but she was not the first and she would be far from the last. His job was not to ridicule and criticize, but to support and observe. That Lyta told him, that she mustered the strength to share this pain she'd been inflicted with was a testament to her suitability for the position she'd been given.

"Thank you, Lyta. You've done well." He offered the most comforting smile he could muster as he looked into the tearful woman's eyes. Of course, her words were troubling, but that was no fault of hers. She did what she'd needed to, and spoke them aloud to those in power. "Your stone is tied to you very closely. With your power, we will find the one who did this to Fire. And we will bring them to justice. I promise you his fear will not be in vain."

• Spoon Cry
"I don't know how to control it - I don't even know if I can," the Dream Guardian was known for her frequent smiles, quick laughter and loving nature. The woman who looked into Solomon's eyes was a far cry from that noble lady. She looked as terrified as she professed Dorian to have been before his death, and there was such hopelessness there in her gaze too along with guilt and shame. Not one spark of confidence or belief that she could be of any help.

"I've been trying to force another one to appear but it's like grasping at air. Like... the Dreaming is what decides what I get to see."

In contrast to Lyta's outward despair, Solomon looked as collected as he ever had, with any fears or worries hidden deep away in the valleys of his aging face. When those of the Stone faltered, he was their strength, the tether that held them all to the earth. It was a part of his duty, and one that he never shied away from fulfilling. The Absalon who had been in power during his own Guardianship had kept him sane and living on more than one occasion.

If he could do the same for even one of his own, it would be worth it.

"None of us expect you to control it, Lyta." The old man assured her calmly. His hands fell from her shoulders, resting in his lap as he shifted back a few inches to grant her a bit of space. "To accomplish something such as commanding the Dreaming is a feat only the most tenured of Guardians have accomplished. You do not seem to realize, though..."

Solomon raised one hand, gesturing for Lyta to look at him as he spoke. "The Dreaming told you of this for a reason. It knows you are capable, elsewise it would not entrust you with such visions. I too, have faith in you."

Lyta

• Spoon Cry