Open Chronicles Where The Wolves Hide

A roleplay open for anyone to join
"If indeed it is one, then without further evidence, we have to wait until the full moon" the elf explained. "Until then for all intents and purposes, they'll look as they always do. They might be stronger, more vigorous, but outwardly there'll be no change. This makes tracking it...somewhat difficult".

Her face twisted in a grimace. "Which means that either it passes without incident and we're back to square one or we have several mangled and eviscerated corpses be discovered".

"Ah, but, ah-" The blond man sputtered. He sat down. Lia was intimidating.

Kaska didn't do well to hid her prim smile, not that she really trying to. While she usually kept a back seat on missions, Angharad's comment had riled her into proving herself. "There is not much else to be said on them," she told Cedric. "There are many superstitions on how to identify them but unless you want to try laying each town member over hot coals or peeling their skin back to see if there's fur inside, we wait. However," she turned to Angrhad, going off of her feedback next.

"We can still look for evidence," she told the elf. "We have a month and it is a small town. We will find them. But- I'm sorry- who are you again? Why is she here?" She challenged Lia.

Lia glanced at Kaska. "She's here because ignoring a resource when it is available is foolish."

That was what the woman was after all; a resource. Elven society dated back thousands of years before most Human history books could even remember. Their generations equaled ten of mankind's, and with that came a wealth of knowledge that should not be ignored. Lia was not fool enough to toss away help when it was offered, particularly during a case like this where near everything was shrouded in mystery.

The elf was very likely older than all of then put together, save for the mayor perhaps. It was hard to be around for that long and know nothing at all.

"Mr. Mayor." Lia addressed the halfling. "Is there anyone missing from the village?"

The man seemed to frown a moment and then half nodded his head.

"Not missing per say...but a few of our men were due back from a trip. We'd assumed they were simply delayed, it happens often enough. There's also...well there's also a hunting party that hasn't come back yet. Though they aren't due for a day or more yet."

Lia nodded slowly. "Then our first step is to search for more bodies. If there's a wolf in this village his hunting grounds will be in the surrounding area, and any other kills will be nearby."

She glanced at the blonde boy, considering what to do with him.

Angharad | Kaska | Cedric Miller

Angharad's lips pursed at being called a resource. My kind were building cities while yours were still shrieking and flinging feces at each other. Humans, orcs, and others, they'd spread so fast across the world. Chronicles over the centuries described their spread. What once had been virgin verdant lands had been settled. Forests felled and their houses built, their expansion seemed unstoppable. Now Fal'Addas was forced to treat with rival powers almost as if they were equals, instead of the vassal states they should have been.

"Lady Angharad ver Eyildr, knight of Fal'Addas and cousin to the Clofael of Tranquility. But you may use my name girl as we are not currently at court". Her voice rose in a lilt as she used the elven words. Her gaze narrowed as she met Kaska's.

"Is this the first killing reported? It will make a substantial difference if the wolf is newly infected or an old one who knows what they are doing".

"Then our first step is to search for more bodies. If there's a wolf in this village his hunting grounds will be in the surrounding area, and any other kills will be nearby."

Cedric nodded, turning to the Mayor.

"Where were they hunting?" He asked, his mind cataloging the best hunting areas in the vicinity. "This time of year, the Hartwood is usually thriving with game, but the Vale Run is closer to the south...and the salmon spawn should still be going on."

"The hunting party was heading into the Hartwood." The mayor said with an astonished look at Cedric's knowledge of the area.

Cedric nodded, then turned to the ladies present.

"That places the corpse between the village and the hunting party..."

Well now naturally the blond man was convinced he was about to have his throat slit, the glance Lia gave him making him squirm rather uncomfortably. He wasn't suppose to be hearing this conversion, was he.

That was rhetorical.

"I won't say anything," he promise fervently to the sergeant as her lips were pursed at him. "I get it. Ranger business. Very important. Hush hush."

Kaska rolled her eyes, both at the blond and the heavy look the elf gave her. "Let him go, Lia, I promised him coin," she dismissed, turning to concern Cedric for the first time. Alright, so maybe the newb wasn't completely empty headed.

"Let's follow their trail, then," she concluded. "It's a start." And maybe one of the men was missing and the body could have it's name. Or they'd find the rest all slaughtered in a clearing. Either way, they might find some answers.

The Ranger stared at the boy for a moment, and then slowly nodded. They couldn't tie him up and leave him here until the end of their investigation, nor could they just kill him. The Mayor seemed more amused by this situation than anything, but didn't seem like he was going to say anything.

"Go." Lia waved the boy away. "But remember that Rangers can enact the rite of Conscription."

The Rite of Conscription was of course a piece of law that had been put into place during Alliria's war against a race of Nomads from the Spine. The act essentially stated that Rangers could recruit anyone and everyone from Allirian society if they thought they had the skill and merit to be useful.

It was one of the few real powers the Rangers had. Of course, the Rite hadn't been used in nearly a century, but the boy didn't know that. "And I'd be happy to send you to Nagai if I start hearing rumors of werewolves."

Lia had neither the power nor the ability to do that, but the way the boy paled told of the fact he didn't know that particular detail. After a few seconds the blonde nodded, and then quickly shuffled out of the room.

Satisfied, the Sergeant turned to the others. "Let's get going."

"Conscripts seem such a pointless endeavour" the elf murmured, "One can see how it looks good on paper but I do imagine quite a few attempt to vacate the area once battle draws near".

She stretched with a sigh and stifled a yawn. "Things will get a mite bit troublesome to keep quiet if the rest of the hunting party fail to show up breathing".

"Things will get a mite bit troublesome to keep quiet if the rest of the hunting party fail to show up breathing".

"Right, four werewolves as opposed to one." Cedric gulped, even as he chuckled. Nervously. "They'd have taken the road to the East and turned North at the standing stones. That'd let them cross the Erling Run on the bridge rather than having to ford it closer to the forest."

Cedric looked to the Mayor, checking to see if he had the right of it.

"That's the way we took every time I was on a hunting party. The boys got the lay of the land. What more do you need from me, name it and I'll do my best to get you it." The mayor said, frankly ignoring the boy. "Least we can do as you're all going to be aiding us with this problem, whatever it is."

"In that case, we should check the river north of the bridge for unusual prints. From what you all say about them, I doubt the werewolf would have crossed at the bridge." Cedric raised his eyebrows, looking to see if the others thought the idea had merit.

Kaska snorted at the thought of a werewolf crossing a bridge. "Of all the things I'd pay to see," she murmured to no one in particular. She walked to her claimed bed and unclipped her cloak, prepared for potentially messy day of bloody bodies, no need risk her cloak with that. While the others talked, she dawned her quiver and grabbed her bow. A knife went into her boot. She checked the straps of some armor. She put her hair back in a loose bun, then turned to face the others again, ready for whatever may come their way.

"A warm meal tonight would be nice," she leveled at the mayor, unabashed in her request.

To the rest, she raised a brow. "Shall we go or continued this drabble? Whatever evidence that was left behind is one rain from being washed away. To the north?"

Kaska did have a way about her.

At least she wasn't an Anirian though. Lia watched the other girl for a moment more and then nodded to the others, motioning for Cedric to head out the door. "The North."

An odd feeling settled into the pit of her stomach, as though they had missed some part of what was to be found. She frowned, flickering her gaze back towards the corpse for a moment before she looked up at the Elf.

"Will you be joining us?" She asked as she began to head towards the door, assuming that the woman wouldn't stand there with nothing but a dead body for company. "I've no doubt the day will not present much of an adventure."

They would likely be searching for at least a few hours.

"Have you a fresh horse? Mine has been on the road for nearly two months now so I would prefer to let her rest while I go on this foray". The elf was tireless but she knew her steed had its limits. Still, this would make for a more entertaining diversion than sitting in the smoky tavern below.

She followed after the others, checking her scabbard was secure. "I would rather not leave her knowing a werewolf is on the loose. My oath as a knight forbids it".

For such a relatively large individual, Amgeir was rather adept at existing largely without notice in most scenarios. Granted, it did not exactly take a master assassin to blend in a typical tavern. Seated in a dimly lit corner, Amgeir had been content to finish jotting down a series of notes in an ongoing journal he maintained. It was no mechanism of recording fiction so much as the various exploits of his life. It was an exercise in historical recollection more than vanity given the fact his past failures featured just as often as his successes.

Long strands of dark hair with the occasional natural highlight framed the features of his heavily bearded face. Baggy folds of the casual overcoat he wore mostly obscured any discernible physique beneath. All told, he was just another relatively grungy looking individual keeping to himself and the mug of mead in front of him.

It wasn't until a very tall female entered the establishment that Amgeir's light eyes fully rose from the materials in front of him. They lingered on the woman's armored form for just a moment; long enough to note her physical features and the general air with which she carried herself. Lacking any further interest, Amgeir returned his attentions to his writing.

His disinterest changed...quickly...as multiple individuals soon entered the tavern, a few seeming in something of a hurry. These newcomers, however, were as easy to classify as the elf presently engaging in a social discourse with them. Allirian Rangers - an organized force for good if you listened to the stories. Amgeir was not among their number, preferring the freedom of a more independent approach to life. Then again, he had been largely alone his entire life. He did not quite belong to the world of man, and he wouldn't be bothering to force an interaction with his maternal elf lineage again anytime soon. Truth be told, he preferred the solitude.

The talk of a body soon piqued Amgeir's interest once more, but the follow-up conversation of finding someone to carry said body...encouraged Amgeir to avoid direct eye contact with any of the group for the time being. Once the body was hauled in and out of sight, Amgeir slowly began to stow his personal belongings. Leaning back in his seat, the Ranger considered several things. Though he didn't want to get wrapped into the business of the Allirian Rangers, lest he have to endure another condescending retort about his unwillingness to join, the prospect of a mysterious murder did disturb him. In the end of the day, he existed to serve the inhabitants of Arethil whether they knew or desired such or not.

For the time being though? Nothing to do but wait for the unlikely alliance of species and professions to emerge from their conclave.

Cedric Miller | Lia | Angharad | Kaska

Lia nodded to the Elf, and then motioned for everyone to leave the room.

They had the whole of the northwood to search for more bodies, and the longer they sat around in the Inn the less light of day they would have to actually search. A frown touched her lips as she glanced back at the body on the table, a thought briefly crossing her mind.

"Mr. Mayor, please set a guard on this room. Someone you can trust." She doubted that this little village had a city-watch or even a militia, but she wanted someone to at least guard the door while they were out and about.

She didn't need someone snooping.

A few moments later Lia and the others stalked through the common room. There was a slight whisper all around them as they walked, though from what she overheard the blonde boy hadn't opened his mouth to anyone about Werewolves or Wights. Good thing too.

Within just a minute they found themselves outside once more, horses gathered. "We'll split up into two groups."

She motioned to the others.

"We can cover more ground that way." She adjusted a strap on her horses saddle. "If you find anything mark it and head back. We'll meet at he village in a few hours."

"We'll split up into two groups."

Cedric nodded, following the other rangers out of the tavern and out to where their horses waited for them. He walked up to his mare, and patted her neck. She nuzzled his hand, then his neck as he came closer still and checked to make sure no straps had come loose.

"We can cover more ground that way." She adjusted a strap on her horses saddle. "If you find anything mark it and head back. We'll meet at he village in a few hours."

"I'll travel to the river and head north from there. I should be able to find all of the likely fords and see what sort of animals have passed through in the last few days. Weather hasn't been too wet, I think the last rain was three nights ago. Prints and spoor by the river should be fairly identifiable." Cedric replied, slipping up into his saddle, then moving his bow from his shoulder to the bow sheath attached to the cantle of his saddle. He was a lot more confident when speaking about something he'd grown up doing. "Who'll ride with me?"

• Yay
Reactions: Kaska and Lia
Kaska looked around for a moment then snorted, pulling herself up onto her horse. She gave him a good pat, then looked to Cedric with a touch of indifference. "Well someone will have to keep you out of trouble. Might as well be me." In truth she loathed the thought of pairing with Lia, or that elf for that matter. Let them share a horse together and give her the fun at bossing around the recruit.

She reigned back her horse, keeping him still as he kicked up a fuss prematurely. "We'll be back by sunset," she told Lia, having enough decency to wait for her dismissal.

The horse snorted at unfamiliar faces but Angharad calmed it with a caress and soothing words in Elvish. "What direction do we take then Ranger?" she asked Lia . She tightened her sword belt and adjusted her armour. She couldn't call herself a knight if she drank in the tavern while a killer was in the locality.

"Be safe girl" she told the younger one. She'd be a damn sight more comely if she didn't pout so much.

• Yay
Reactions: Lia
"West." She said with a slight frown, glancing at Kaska and Cedric as they mounted their horses and headed off towards the north.

The Ranger hefted her blade slightly, then glanced towards the elf.

"She's going to eat him alive." The comment came quietly. "Nice little test for him really."

The boy was barely out of the training grounds, and it showed. He was knowledgeable enough when it came to the books, but the real world was often quite a bit different. Her head shook slightly, and with a lithe grace she pulled herself up into the saddle of her horse.

Focused on the task at hand, and doing his best to prove he was more than a green ranger, Cedric led them north toward the river. He kept his eyes on the ground, though this far from the river he didn't think he'd see any tracks that would be very telling. He'd never been on his own with Kaska, and so didn't know what, if any, type of riding banter she preferred. So, he just kept his mouth closed until the senior ranger spoke to him.

As they neared the river, Cedric purposefully slowed his pace. His eyes roamed the ground more fervently, the closer they got. The ground around them became steadily softer, and Cedric could make out the prints of several animals along game trails that crossed their path, but nothing that could be the werewolf or a mans footprints as of yet. The river was in sight only a long stones throw away, when Cedric turned them parallel, working them towards where the fords between town and the woods would most likely be.

• Yay
Reactions: Lia and Angharad
The horse quickly grew accustomed to its new rider as Lia took them westward. Angharad's ears pricked up, letting the familiar forest sounds soothe her. The birdcalls were different, so were many of the trees, but it still reminded her of the Falwood and home. The wildness of the Reach was apparent. They'd ridden for only a few minutes before the signs of civilisation were left behind. The tracks became less well trodden and undergrowth had sprung up over old fences and walls.

"Nothing out of the ordinary so far. Have you tracked a lycanthrope before?"

• Yay
Reactions: Lia
"Only once." The Sergeant admitted quietly.

Werewolves, Lycan's, whatever you wanted to call them, were not exactly common in the reach. Monsters in general tended to stay away. Every now and again they would find a Harpy, once a cockatrice, and a few times kobolds had caused trouble but by and large most of their issues came from Human's.

She wasn't entirely sure if Angharad could relate to that, mostly because she imagined that Elves worked together more often than not. Their long lives seemed to fit that narrative more. "He was a young man."

Lia frowned.

"Only fifteen. Bitten by someone who we never found." Her hands tightened on his reigns. "My commander at the time put him down."

• Yay
Reactions: Angharad
Angharad had the grace to grimace slightly. She knew humans had far shorter lifespans but even still, fifteen was far too short a life. "It is the kindest thing to do in most cases" she said, taking care to keep her words neutral. "They may seem the same but they aren't. I've heard of the magisters and scholars in Elbion searching for cures but I am not sure we will see it your lifetime. Or even mine".

She bit her lip before continuing, "I myself have not yet seen two hundred but even then I've only encountered it thrice. Aros." The last word was directed to her horse. Reining in, Angharad gracefully dismounted, moving to stoop. "There is a mark or some trace of spoor here".