Private Tales Where the Heart Is

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
It appeared as if he had little choice in the matter of where he stayed, not that he would argue further. They deemed him worthy of putting him up so the MacArthur would oblige. Besides, he knew full well how Skuld felt. After spending so much time on the rode, adjusting to life back home and enjoying the luxuries one was not often afforded took a spell. Keiran found that funny, as more often then not dreaming of a warm bed was common among soldiers and such.. But then when it was in arms length... Something like the floor seemed all the more comfortable.

Delighted at his meal, steak and potatoes, it would do well to soak what was to come. Digging into his own meal, he wasn't aware at how hungry he'd been until he had the first bite of his steak. Of course despite how amazing the meal was, his attention was taken away the moment the talk of sparing came up followed by a ring on a certain someone's finger. He laughed, enjoying the on going banter and finding himself wanting to join in.

"Oy, I know my way around a sword but something tells me this badger you speak of would give me a run for my money.. Still.. If I've not passed from what you lot had planned tonight, I'd like to give it a go..."

The entire company around them made an audible pause in eating so give Keiran a look. Skuld could not keep down the smile that appeared as her mother sat back a little to address the twins.

"The Lord would brave sparring with us. You both keep it to the white, none of that unexpected magic against him. Unless we do pairs." Sasha made her ruling in earnest this time. A brow arched at both of them while they snickered to themselves.

Barrik entered finally and found them easily enough, quickly sitting beside his wife and not waiting to he told what happened before he began eating. It looked as though he had been running just before entering, now allowing his gaze to wander over the table as he spied smiles all around.

"What did I miss?" He asked between bites. Sasha huffed and glanced at him, taking another bite before wiping her mouth and leaning toward him.

"Cecil said he wouldn't spar with Lord MacArthur until Skuld had a ring. And the Lord will be staying in Skuld's room for the night rather than risk the road. I was laying out the rules for sparring. Are we doing called partners for tomorrow or just as it presents itself?" Sasha very quickly informed him, his eating never stopping. He spared a glance to Skuld at the mention of a ring, but saw the crest and gave his daughter a waggle of his brow.

The exasperated look she gave him in return spoke more than words ever could as he nearly coughed on his steak, the start of a laugh being the cause.

"Evening might be easy if you keep that up niece." Her uncle chortled. Barrik coughed and glared at him.

The way they all froze caused him to furrow his brow as those light brown eyes darted back and forth between each face. You would have thought he proclaimed himself to be the king of dragons with their reaction. It was just a friendly spar... Was it not? Talk of not using tricky magic was then spoken unless they worked in pairs which made sense if they wanted to keep everything fair. Keiran had no inkling of how to use magic. He was a practical fighter however, quick thinking with a knack for survival. That was his advantage, at least he'd come to think so.

"So... Chubby Bunny? Is this a common occurrence for you all? Is this something I should bring back to Edenham?" He mused, knowing there was nothing else like a good drinking game to bring people together. Hopefully this would be one such instance.

• Yay
Reactions: Skuld Zajac
Barrik looked up at him, weighing his next words as he swallowed his food.

"Most every person that courts a Zajac has played. And when the itch for someone to try and topple the king comes around." He chuckled as he eyed the whole table.

Sasha and Skuld both shook their heads. The uncle grimaced as his wife laughed. The twins beamed and jabbed each other.

"No one has toppled the fish yet. And he has gotten pretty big for his pond."
Sasha informed him. Barrik seemed delighted by the idea, Skuld on the other hand decided her drink looked rather tasty and took a hearty swig.

"Would be a damn good way of introducing ourselves. I am not against it." Barrik cackled.

"Welcome to the family. Lets get drunk!" Cecily chimed in.

• Yay
Reactions: Keiran MacArthur
"Well the fish better prepare himself to... Remain right where he is because I'm sure I'll be properly drunk in no time.. Still let's have fun." Keiran said with a small grin before popping a piece of steak into his mouth, the courageous build up to his statement diminishing soon after. He held no illusions that he would best anyone in a game they had long played. He would however give it his all and show this lot... her lot... And perhaps one day his lot, that he was not simply looking to court a Zajac and quit. No no... Keiran was there for good.

"Any rules I should be aware of?" He then asked next, realizing he really didn't know the finer details of what he was getting mixed into, just that he would be drunk as a Highlander at their wedding by the end of the night.

• Yay
Barrik at first raised a brow to the other man, quickly changing to an ever growing grin as he finished his statement. A small laugh came as he pointed his next bite at the man.

"Oh I might have bad luck tonight. We will just have to see." He smirked. Sasha glanced at him, a silent question forming at the slight twitch of her brow. Skuld cut in, avoiding any hints as to what the night could hold.

"Pretty simple actually, the way we play. You start off with a single piece of fruit that has been soaked. Everybody says chubby bunny, and we add another piece of fruit." Skuld began as Cecil cut in.

"So long as you don't cough that is. We stop adding when you get them spilling out, but if you cough, you eat what you have and start over." Cecil smiled, looking to his father who was scratching his chin.

"Problem is, once you start coughing, you generally can't stop it from happening again." He explained further, his eyes rolled as he took a bite. "Can't tell you how many times that has sunk me more often than not."

"It's pretty well a rinse and repeat. Everybody adds one, everyone speaks, we wait a moment and do it over again." Skuld shuddered a moment at an inward thought as she narrowed her eyes at her father. "Your miller friend still making his stuff?"

The wicked smile went ear to ear as he chewed, all the more answer Skuld needed as he swallowed and pointed to her.

"And it's been, refined since you last had it." Barrik chuckled, Sasha muttered something that sounded like a prayer to the gods as her brother groaned. Skuld's eyes were wide for a moment as she huffed.

"We'll see which one of us is able to make the stairs." Skuld half joked to Keiran with a nudge.

• Yay
"At this point I'm hoping all be able to make it out of my chair my dear..Apparently there's a new batch." He referred to Barrik's mention of this new batch as he nudged her in return. To him refined just meant it would work alot faster. That would be fun. Dangerous... but fun.

"So... Not to speed things up and seem to eager to end up passed out in a stable, espcially being that I should be making a good impression on you lot... But... I'm done with my meal."

It seemed Keiran had no issue spurring the moment on.

• Yay
Barrik took his last bite, being the last to finish his meal as they all waited on him. Sasha drew payment from a pocket as they all stood and left. The ribbing continued outside, Cecil and Cecily giving Skuld tips on how best to keep Keiran's attention while their parents laughed behind them.

Sasha and Barrik informed them they would be behind them, citing the need to fetch the evenings imminent doom as they rode towards the millers. The rest of the group began the ride to the Zajac estate at an easy pace.

Upon arrival, a older man came out and cast a curious glance to Keiran which was quickly dismissed as a guest. He took their horses, having himself a small chuckle as he walked off.

"We have a footman who doubles as a groom, a pair of maids, and two kitchen staff. Unless they have all moved on that is." Skuld informed Keiran, getting a shake of the head from her cousins.

"No one has left. They've had a few young people come through and learn but I doubt with how well they are treated they would leave." Cecil explained, a confirming nod from Skuld as she led the way inside.

"A few people looking to learn service trades come through for training. Most only stay for a year or two before moving on." Skuld kept informing him, leading him up the stairs past a pair of older women coming out of a room who looked up and became estatic.

"Aw the young lady has returned! It is good to see you once more!" a silver haired woman spoke as she took Skuld's hands in her own. The other, with plenty of black still in her hair, peered around her at Keiran with a smirk. "And with a man in tow no less."

"Marta, Beth, Lord Keiran MacArthur. He will be joining us tonight since father is bringing home entertainment." Skuld introduced and warned them. The words at the tail end seemed to make the women suddenly larger as they huffed.

"By the gods, we will have to have Fletcher and Old Tom help us get everyone sorted." Marta spat, Beth looked between the pair and spoke.

"And where are we to put the lord when he can't make heads or tails of a horse?" She chuckled. Skuld nodded to a room down the way.

"My room. He is taking the bed and-" Hands waved at her and quieted the next few words.

"Alright alright. Get settled." Beth ushered them along.

• Yay
The meal was taken care, much to Keiran's horror who's attempt to reach for his purse but was waved off. He was thankful for the kid gesture however, showing as much with a stern nod of his head to Sasha. The next few moments were spent with light talking and rounding the party together for the short ride to the estate and the MacArthur just found himself going along with the flow.

Of course, he was charmed by how close the Zajec's were, finding a familiar kinship with how he was with his family and friends. In choosing Skuld, he had chose wisely... Or did she choose him... Or did either of them have any chose in the matter?

The news, or rather reminder, that he'd need help by the end of the night prompted a nervous chuckle from the Highlander and judging from how everyone responded to the news of the game to be played, he was beginning to finally worry. "Suppose we should get settled." He said in kind to Skuld, praying that he'd have enough sense not to make a fool out of himself. He doubt that would not be the case however.

"That we should." Skuld offered him as she led the way. It was a sparce room she led him to, a low bench at the foot of a large bed surrounded by half dressers and a standing mirror in the corner. Next to the mirror was a set of armor on a mannequin, a simple breastplate with arms but little else beside chain for protection.

"You should dress down, even without a fire you'll be getting toasty." Skuld informed him, turning slightly as she took off the gambeson and shook loose her linen shirt and sat down, stripping off her boots for slippers. She crouched down and pulled another pair out for him.

• Yay
And while Skuld went right into settling down, Keiran on the other hand looked about, taking in the sight of her room. Though she may have not seen it as such, for the Highlander it was as if he had been invited into a rather magical land. this was a piece of her history and he was seeing where the young warrior was raised. So there, he stood, saddle bag with his travel clothes packed away inside slung over his shoulder. It was fortunate they stopped by the inn along the way and allowed him a moment to get his items together, else he'd be wrapping a bed sheet around his waist and using a pin to hold it in place. Nothing like a improvised kilt after all.

When offered the slippers, he had wandered off to inspect the armor, offering her a small smile as he looked back. "Hello my lady." He teased now that they had a small moment to themselves.

• Yay
He wandered off and looked at her old armor, something she would have to have fitted once more now that she was giving up her brother's armor. He teased her, and that garnered a sly smile from her as she stood and moved next to him. Her eyes stared at the armor a moment before drifting to him.

"My lord." She replied in an equally teasing tone. A hand extended, fingers brushing against his. "How have you been?" She asked quietly. It felt like both forever and just yesterday that she had last seen him. So much had happned and yet so little of it mattered now. A moment alone amidst the chaos of her return was welcome as she felt the weight of the medallion on her chest. It dangled outside of her shirt, staring at him.

• Yay
Her touch breath life into him and he smiled, the visage of the more often then not serious gloom the was known to hover upon his face melted away. There in her room with his hand reach out to take her own, his was a carefree youth once more.

"Better now... I won't bore you with the details but I'm being kept busy being an errand boy of sorts... Tiresome work." He managed a small laugh before he shook off the thoughts of his time serving under the Banicks. "I've heard a tale or two about the Templar's... The Orders... Been through a lot recently... I'm a happy to you you seem intact."

He spoke in a light tone though his last comment could be read as a question. He wanted her to know if she wanted to talk, he'd listen. It was the least he could do for her after all.

Smile on his face, he looked down to the medallion around her neck and his smile widen. "It looks good on you." He mused as he brought up a hand to trace his fingers over it. When he had first gave it to her, it was a innocent gesture allowing her safe passage through his families land. Now however, it seemed much more then that. Of course it was no substitute for another traditional piece of jewelry men were known to give women and Keiran found himself chasing the thoughts away. Hey family were quick to joke on the matter but he knew tonight he'd have to prove his worth... Or die trying.

And the way they spoke about this game and the brew that would be used, that very well might happened.

• Yay
The gloom he wore melted away and her own smile appeared with his. He had been kept busy, something the Banicks were likely to do with someone to run footwork for them. He mentioned having heard the templars being busy, and a sort of chuckle came from her.

"They have been very busy. I'm sure the talesl have become a fish to big for its pond by now. I'll have to tell you them later." She dismissed the talk of her former life, even with the question he asked hanging so obviously between them.

"And anymore it would take nothing short of an army to keep me." She informed him with a smirk, confidence and surety rang in her words. He touched the medallion, and she could not help but take it in her hands and look it over herself.

"It does? I would guess it has brought me luck, or at least helped me focus." She informed him, a small grin appearing as she met his eyes. "Though some others in my order were a bit jealous. Said they would have to stop in to see just who had stolen their orders leader for themselves." Skuld teased him. Truly the only ones that were jealous was Alexander and Lelutina, her favored company officers. The rest of them had been glad to see her step down from a dangerous life.

• Yay
"I wish I could say I was sorry if I did in fact play a role in that decision... But in truth I am not." He grinned as he watched her. Though he would have cheered her own if she elected to remain with the order, the fact that she parted where in part for their relationship to flourish did mean a lot to him. As such, he would not be shy about being happy about this choice of hers.

"And I will not apologize for making anyone jealous... If I am blessed to have stolen away the courageous Lady Zajec, then so be it. Let them come and stare at me in awe.... Just... Warn me so I can pretty myself up for them." He said with a chuckle added in

He said all this while going through his travel bag so he could change into something more comfortable, removing his travel coat for a more comfortable loose fitting cotton shirt. "Come my dearest... Your parents expect me to be drink and so we must not keep them waiting."

• Yay
She cracked a smile and held back the laughter she felt bubble up at his response to not being sorry. A hand covered her mouth for a second before she sighed and grinned.

"And you shouldn't be sorry. It was about time for my order to have a new leader. And those that visit will likely rather see you in gear rather than nice clothes, but I will try to warn you." She joked. The pair that were likely to visit she doubted would warn them, if they decided to stop by.

She did not keep her eyes off of him as he changed, gaze wandering a little as he changed and spoke of being ready. She gave him a nod before leading the way out and down to the study. Barrik was setting out jars of clear liquid with what looked like halved dried apricots in them, and his grin was wide as the family chattered idly and examined them.

"You both ready?" He asked while taking his seat by the fire. A loveseat had been moved closer to his side, and left vacant for them as her mother and cousins smirked.

"Oh gods." Skuld sighed as she looked at the pair of jars on either stand flanking the loveseat. There was a small tray of more split and dried apricots to plop into the jars. A healthy assortment of unopened jars were around Barrik's chair, a promise, or a threat, of not running out during the game. Skuld took the seat closest to her father and patted the seat directly next to her. Her expression wasn't dread even if her tone leaned that way.

Amusement and something close to mischief sparked in the look she gave Keiran as he sat.

"We will start with one, and go from there." Barrik announced. "Add one after everyone has spoke and so on and so forth." He waved his hands as he spoke, moving the point across as everyone began pulling a piece out and popped a single half in their mouth. Skuld and Cecily both cringed with the first piece, and Sasha took a moment before she was ready.

• Yay
Gavin only offered an accusing look to her, not knowing but suspecting she wanted as he changed. He hadn't thought any of that act but still it was a intimate act in some regard. The look ended with a smile as she spoke on her order and the warning she provided. In gear worked perfectly for him as he felt much more comfortable in chainmail then small clothes oddly enough.

Following her out, he remained silent for the most part, looking and soaking in every moment as he was the visitor after all. Of course the bout of silence would last as long as it took her to seat and pat the seat beside her. "For moral support?" He teased though he moved fast enough to claim the seat. He had a funny feeling by the end of the night, she'd be his moral support... And perhaps physical given how strong the alcohol they were using was. And judging by the scent he was picking up, he'd be in need of both, surely..

• Yay
"For both of us." She chuckled as he sat beside her. The house had been decorated with strange memento's. Succesful hunts and other prizes that had been claimed.

The event started with a full round of everyone speaking succesfully. The second round of dried fruit happened and the elders of the group had a gasping breath when it was popped in. The game got into full swing at this point with jeers and pointing with muffled laughter.

Skuld was leaning heavily on Gavin as the game finally flagged its end. Sasha was gripping the arms of her seat hard as she stared her husband dead in the eye. His returned smile didn't seem to be what she needed as she choked and sputtered on the words.

The twins were barely sitting upright against each other as their parent's were lenaned as far back as their couch would allow, beaming and drunken smiles as they watched the hosts finish the last round with a whoop of laughter.

Sasha covered her mouth as the maids stepped in and began ushering people to their respective rooms.

Skuld tilted her head back to look at Gavin and managed to nearly slide out of their couch as Barrik gave a hearty laugh of his own. The surprise of the sudden movement only appearing once she had safely grabbed both the back of the seat and part of Kieran's shirt.

"She was never much of a drinker."
He coughed while wiping his mouth.

"No one is compared to you." Sasha spat at him.

• Yay
"I... This.... Is strong... Strong strong brew." He mumbled through his words. The game itself had been fun in the type of way getting drunk was fun or rather horrible. It was horrible fun.

"Come on dear... I mean... My lady... I do not want to be disrespectful.... In your house... Because your parents... Are looking at us." Mind you, he attempted to whisper this entire sentence. Only he didn't. "My lords and sladies... Ladaydies... Ladies..." He cleared his throat. "I adore your daughter... And her smile... And I will marry her if she has me.... But only if she has me.. And if you will have me.. Because family is important. You are important... Like how a sword needs a sheath.. because that is important... I will be her sheath.... I will.. Keep her.. Warm and safe..." He huffed wondering why he was babbling. "You ever think words and realize you're speaking them?"

Ah, the horrible fun of being drunk.

• Yay
"Dad always has, the best, best stuff fer drinking." Skuld chuckled as she gave her agreement in her own way, lazily watched her cousins being ushered out by the pair of maids.

"No disre-disrespect here." Barrik waved a hand as Sasha rubbed her face before blinking several times. Slowly. The room was spinning slowly for her and she was doing her best to sit upright as she slouched back in her seat. Which Barrik seemed to find amusing as his gaze shifted to his wife as he tried, and failed, to stop himself from laughing a bit.

"You alright, oh mighty warrior?" He teased, his words coming out slowly as she gave him a half hearted glare.

She didn't give him a response as they both shifted their attention to Keiran when he continued to speak. Making them both don a growing smile.

"She left templars...left the templars. I think. I think that is-" Sasha covered her mouth and let out a small burp before continuing on. "That is clear enough, a sign that she'll agree."

Barrik smirked wide and titled his head a bit to look at his daughter. "Hear that? He-"

Skuld pulled herself up a bit and managed to secure herself squarely in Keiran's lap as she looked at them both.

"Shush! I wanna hear more!" She sputtered as she laid back and stared up at him.

"Happens sometimes." Barrik laughed at the pair. The maids swooped in then and had Skuld upright before she had a chance to flop off the couch.1 he tossed after the pair as the other maid helped Keiran up and got them going towards Skuld's room.

• Yay
Apparently what he said was right... Or accepted... Appreciated? Her parents had not objected which was always nice and Skuld was on his lap and his arms were around her and when had that happened again? He looked up to her with a bright smile, face flush, from blushing or the drink... or both. More then likely both.

"More? You are going to be my everything... No... You are my everything... " He peered past her to spy her parents. "I can say this right...?" He was almost asking their permission. "Heavens I should have spoke with your father about my intentions."

Which implied he intended to do something. He blushed harder. "My lord... I would like to marry this adorable and beautiful and humorous and strong and brave and courageous and talented beautiful and I know I've said that twice but I can't stress how beautiful she is, woman... Daughter.. Your daughter... And my lady... I know this is sudden but if you would fight me worth of marrying this... This amazing person you have raised I promise she will smile.. Always.. Mostly.. Always... I'm sure I will anger her at some point... But then later she will smile... And i don't mean right now... If you are wondering....We can wait..."

And he with this proclamation he smiled and looked up to Skuld though his head was rather wobbly as he did so. "I should have told you my intentions too before just saying all this... I'm going to scary you away... Please don't be scared." He pleaded.