Help Request What level of armour technology is allowed?

Character Biography
Link
I actually have done quite a bit of research into medieval armour, and I want to know what level of armour I can go to. Can I go as far as European full plate like this?

proxy.php

Or are we not allowed to go that far because of how overpowered the armour is? Which, let's be honest, I guy in this armour, when made right, is effectively invincible against everything except full force blunt impact weapons, which still have a difficult time getting through all that steel.

Mate, ChroniclesRP is a place where you can have people melt people with magic, throw giant boulders at each other with telekinesis, have special swords that give immense power, but also make the users into devil beast people, and people who can shoot lightning at one another with their mind.

Don't worry dude, your full-european-plate style is all good here. Looks badass.

I feel like you are overselling how good that armor was during its own time period. Yes it protected the person in it from a lot but it was not invincible. It had plenty of drawbacks and took a ton of support for it to be possible. There was a reason only the wealthiest could wear it and why less expensive means of military combat took off leading to the armor being unneeded.

Against what it was designed for such as swords and spears, it was good/decent. On the other hand; evolving technologies and military tactics of the time such as the Lucerne Hammer, along with the black powder missing from the board made it irrevocably redundant very quickly. The time spent making a full suit with fluting(plus any brass adornments) and proper tempering was not worth the 2 seconds of effort it took a rudimentary black powder weapon to blow a 1"/2.54cm hole in the front of said armor.

Most armies however were armed with whatever the lord or vassal provided. Anything from old arms and armor kept in working order to simple breastplates and helms of newer designs. A lot of responsibility fell to the lord of an area to properly arm his militia/army with decent equipment given the likelihood of being called to arms for the king or other campaigns. Bad display by a vassal to show up with rust and broken equipment.

However, even the best armor had it's weaknesses. A sword would still be able to find an opening given that those wearing this type of armor were no slouches in combat. The elbow can only be protected so much before movement is restricted, and same with the armpits. A far more vital spot given the proximity to the heart.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Glasha
Not to mention that armor was heavy as all get-out and the wearers often overheated from exertion of wearing it in battle.

Obviously we don't have video evidence, but there are written anecdotes that talk of big warriors getting turtled on their backs in their full suits of armor in the heat and chaos of battle.

Definitely offered a lot of coverage and so long as you could stay your horse or your feet, if you were wearing it you were a challenge to take down. (Getting on your horse in full-plate armor was a challenge in and of itself.)

Besides I created a group that basically has the Chronicles equivalent to Power Armor. Your armor is great! It's nice that you're aiming for realism!

Those knights must not have been properly harnessed then to be weighed down so easily. The whole harness weighs a little less than a firemans getup and mobility when properly made was never an issue.

As well, most of the weight of a full suit is typically spread out over shoulders and hips. Those in full suits likely did little more than get it fitted before battle and ride into melee without making sure they were still fit for combat.

Either that or luxury and overeating had their sway in that outcome.

One account of a knight preparing for tournament actually details going rock climbing in full plate, jumping onto his horse from the ground, going for long distance runs, and other such activities.

Then again horses in that day an age were typically no larger than ponies as compared to the large breeds that is so typically seen in our modern ages.